Uncharted: Drake's Fortune PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 16, 2007
8.1

1. Dec 27, 2012
    Unfortunately as many other players I played Uncharted 2 first so I did feel the difference between both games and I agree with other critics the number of enemies in this game it's ridiculous, and they can get a lot of damage but they just wont go down. But don't get me wrong this is definitely one of the best Adventure video game in the PS3 history.
  2. Jul 7, 2015
    As always people a little excited instantly blew this game up high to 10/10s and claims of being a masterpiece. Probably influenced by the critics reviews and the lack of adventure games when it was released. But those who played it can't deny these basic flaws:
    There are big and tedious hordes of enemies coming out everywhere, with poorly placed spawns and in an unreasonable cycling fashion. You kill an horde, make a step forward another one commences, until you get to the next room. It almost feels like a tower defense game.
    The shooting isn't great, the cover system will fail you most of the times with Drake obsessively hugging every wall and taking bad cover. The weapon balancement is ridiculous, some weapons are stupidly strong while others are close to being toys. Regardless, the enemies even without the slightest armor will take a ton of hits to get kill unless you shoot them in the head, which was probably the most rewarding mechanic.
    Sometimes the level design fools you into thinking you can sneak by some enemies but it will automatically trigger alerts when you get close, and trust me, you'll want to avoid combat like a plague at a certain point.

Calling this game an adventure game about exploration was an absolute lie, there's no exploring at all, most of the places where you can get are there to actually advance in the game, only sometimes there will be really small portions of the "stages" where you'll be able to find "not so well hidden" treasures.

Many levels are very poorly designed, you'll find yourself killed by enemies spawning at your back. Entering stages where you'll instantly get granades thrown at without any way to get back to safety. After the first few hours the melee combat system will be virtually useless with enemies knocking you out like professional boxers. The climbing sections are lying between "guessing" frustration and "repetitive" button mashing: that means most of the time you'll find yourself mashing the X button because regardless of where you go most of the time you won't need to think where to aim. Until some parts where it will become pretty bad because of the camera angle shifting your controls and messing up your sense of direction and the absolute inability of knowing what ledges you can grab onto. You'll find yourself jumping to stupidly far away ledges and grabbing to them or jump to really close ones and dying from trying.
    If you want to make the jumping tricky, because you have to press the button at the right moment or Drake will fall to its death, you can do it but you shouldn't fill the map with invisible walls and ungrappable ledges.

The story is also predictable, but still interesting.
    The characters are likable, at least Drake and Sully are fun sometimes.
    The graphics are good for the time but the scenarios are very samey, all forest, and with scarse detail.

So to summarize:
    -dull platforming/climbing
    -empty unexplorable map
    -Nice story/characters
    -Poor graphics

Definitely enjoyable by someone who likes to just shoot a lot, because the puzzles are very easy, a child could solve them. But you have to get over the **** like lacking platforming and bad spawns.

Gotta be an hardcore fan to enjoy it all the way through.
  3. Sep 24, 2012
    fine, but incredibly overrated. The game isn't that long and the story left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth, it gets so much praise, but there are far better games on the PS3.
  4. PaulL.
    Jan 10, 2010
    This game is far from greatness. It can be quite infuriating at times and some of the checkpoint save locations are a joke. Combat can go both ways, either good or very bad. Aside from that, the story is somewhat charming. I must note here, that I'm a victim of the "Crysis effect". Anything above a 7, can't be justified.
  5. Jan
    Nov 27, 2007
    6 to 9 Hours of Singleplayer Gameplay with low Replay Value and no additional Features. Total lack of Multiplayer or Coop Mode. 5/10
  6. Feb 24, 2013
    It is not that bad but its a bit overrated. Don´t get me wrong, its not that uncharted sucks, it doesnt but there is much space above. But the graphics were good at that time.
  7. May 30, 2012
    This is not a bad game, it is just not what I was looking for in an adventure game of this hype-status and here's why.

The setting seems interesting enough, a random (not super-powered) guy goes on a treasure hunting experience and is facing expected and unexpected enemies. Graphics are very good, gameplay is not as brilliant as many people say, but decent. The major letdown for me was that there is no real exploring in this game. You climb through caves or make your way up castles, trees and whatnot. On your path, you will find treasures, but the feeling of exploration is not there. What really killed the game for me is the shooting parts. this is where all athmosphere and fun is killed in an instant. I was reminded of the (terrible) Resident Evil 5 when I found myself walking through an appearantly quiet passge, when suddenly (maybe an invisible switch) hordes of bad guys with guns started attacking me. This feels incredibly dumb, as there is no music of any kind, just the sound of shooting guys that never seem to stop coming. I stopped playing after the 3rd or 4th shootout and sold the game, as it was another "please all" mashup of some very limited exploring and a lot of unnecessary shootouts.
  8. Aug 27, 2015
    It is an OK game.
    The graphics are stunning, very nicely made for the time in which the game came out. The presentation is by far the best feature of the game. The facial expressions are a bit awkward, though.
    The soundtrack is OK: the main theme stays in your head, even if it is not great. The length is what is to be expected of a third person shooter for PS3. However, the story is
    It is an OK game.
    The length is what is to be expected of a third person shooter for PS3. However, the story is just average and the gameplay is highly repetitive (shooting and shooting, some climbing and then, again, shooting).

So, basically, the main problem of this game is the gameplay. The controls are not too good and the whole game you will see yourself shooting at hundreds of enemies. These enemies do not wear any kevlar armor but still need 4 or 5 bullets from your AK47 to be put down. In Uncharted, everything concerning the shooting gameplay is mediocre. And shooting is 90% of Uncharted.
  9. Jan 10, 2016
    +good tomb raider style platforming
    +aside from the character models, the visuals still hold up very well
    +covershooting sections are somewhat enjoyable
    -covershooting sections kinda tend to drag on and happen far too often
    -platforming feels finicky at points
    -story is pretty average
    -puzzles are insultingly easy
  10. Dec 2, 2015
    I could never understand the love this game gets.
    The story is just good, nothing really amazing, no real motives for the characters other than they want to get rich. Voice acting is great and the visuals are still pretty good even though we're in the next generation of video games.
    I could never understand the love this game gets.

As for the gunplay, it's mediocre at best and at times just plain awful. You take cover and they send hordes of bullet sponge enemies at you. Headshots can kill in one shot but they never quite seem to work as smoothly as other shooters. After you kill a wave of 20 enemies, who all have a specific character model depending on what weapon their holding, which makes for little variety, 20 more spawn and you have to fight for 5 more boring minutes. The guns sound like bb guns, and there is barely any variety of them. For people who praise the gunplay as "exciting", to me it seems like they haven't played other pure cover based third person shooters such as Gears of War, Ghost Recon (and I mean that with no disrespect to Uncharted lovers). Even Mass Effect 3 had better gunplay. I've seen people argue by saying Uncharted isn't a third person shooter, it's a story-driven adventure game, but the fact is 80-90% of the game is mediocre shooting.

The game gets more interesting when you can explore ruins by climbing obstacles Assassin's Creed style, but eventually you realize it's completely linear with no alternative ways of reaching your destination. You climb a rock, the camera points to a ledge and only that ledge and you press jump to jump there. Pretty disappointing as you're supposed to feel like an adventurer/treasure hunter, but you don't get a chance to actually explore, only an illusion of it.

Probably the worst part of all is the puzzles you encounter when exploring ruins. Some of the easiest puzzles I've ever encountered in video games that requires little thinking. You sometimes look at your notepad which pretty much gives away the answer to the puzzles. They usually require doing only one simple objective multiple times. For example; climb up later, pull lever, climb up adjacent ladder, pull lever. A game like Tomb Raider excels in the exploring and puzzling department miles better than this game.

Overall a mediocre game, and a pretty lackluster start to a beloved series. I haven't played the sequels because of how little I enjoyed this game, but I'm assuming either all of them are bad, or Uncharted 1 gets praised for something its successors do. This game tries to be everything but in that process it doesn't exactly succeed at anything, save for storytelling and acting. If I want exciting third person action, I'll go play Gears. If I want the freedom to climb and explore, there's a whole catalog of Assassin's Creed games for the choosing. If I want to go on an adventure and treasure hunter, Tomb Raider offers that.
    Uncharted just seems like the exclusive game PS3 owners at the time needed to brag to their 360 owning friends, but the hype and praise surrounding this game just wasn't there for me.
  11. OscarH
    Aug 11, 2008
    I bought this on the strength of certain reviews, and I must admit I feel robbed; although I was fortunate enough to purchase it on Platinum so it doesn't hurt the piggy bank too badly! Games have taken a nose dive if a game so unimaginative and lacking in innovation as this is scoring anything above a 7. The positive: this game looks fantastic. Although the graphics aren't as I bought this on the strength of certain reviews, and I must admit I feel robbed; although I was fortunate enough to purchase it on Platinum so it doesn't hurt the piggy bank too badly! Games have taken a nose dive if a game so unimaginative and lacking in innovation as this is scoring anything above a 7. The positive: this game looks fantastic. Although the graphics aren't as impressive as Metal Gear Solid 4, it's still a very nice effort, albeit it looks plastic and over saturated in some places. In addition, it at least attempts to introduce innovation into the gameplay (with jetskis, jumping, puzzles etc) although you quickly realise they all follow a similar linear pathway and are heavily interspersed with the same lazy gameplay. The negatives: - Repetitive: For a short game (~8 hours apparently) this felt like a week of playing, such was the tedium. Shooting an endless stream of unnamed enemies grows tiresome very quickly; replacing those enemies with a few zombies at the end isn't the innovation I am looking for - Plot: B-movie style. This is acceptable in a game like Far Cry where its superior visuals and open ended approach to gameplay is the main selling point, but for such a linear game it hardly helps matters here. - AI: Almost superhuman at times, which isn't a good thing; those enemies with the lasers (especially Navarro at the end) are inhumanely accurate. Their presence is also incongruous with the information of certain locations - e.g. they appear in droves in areas that humans apparently haven't seen for hundreds of years. - Absolute zero replay value: I have no intention of ever playing this game again following my lack of enjoyment on my first run through. With the additional lack of multiplayer and coop modes, this will now be gathering dust somewhere. Overall this is lazy game design. Do not buy but merely rent this title only if you have a really boring weekend you want to kill, slowly and painfully. Distinctly unimpressed. Expand
  12. Aug 9, 2011
    Uncharted is a good game and having completed it after Uncharted 2, my score may be lower than otherwise... Nonetheless, it is a great game with a good story, good characters and great voicework, together with a cinematic soundtrack. The graphics are very good, with the occassional pop-in and dodgy texture. The gameplay is decent, not as refined as its successor but there are some elementsUncharted is a good game and having completed it after Uncharted 2, my score may be lower than otherwise... Nonetheless, it is a great game with a good story, good characters and great voicework, together with a cinematic soundtrack. The graphics are very good, with the occassional pop-in and dodgy texture. The gameplay is decent, not as refined as its successor but there are some elements that can be frustrating. This mainly revolves around the attempt to apply six-axis controls into grenade throwing and shaking off some of the latter enemies... this can be frustrating. I'm not a big fan of quick-time events and this game has some infrequently and often unexpected during cutscenes. I can't see much reason to playthrough again other than trophies, which I'm not interested in. The game provides a decent challenge on the normal setting. Good, 3/5. Expand
  13. WayneL.
    Jan 27, 2008
    Repetitive battles, poor story, poor object models (clipping problems), pointless jumping puzzles. Over all not a bad game but defiantly not worth the hype.
  14. MessiahL.
    Dec 24, 2007
    I rented it from Blockbuster and finished it before it was even due. Is this game really WORTH $60? Drake borrows from a variety of franchises: Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 4, et al but never really establishes itself as anything more than a derivative action/adventure game. I slugged through the 5 hours it took me to complete it... and you know what? I don't want to go back. It had a I rented it from Blockbuster and finished it before it was even due. Is this game really WORTH $60? Drake borrows from a variety of franchises: Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 4, et al but never really establishes itself as anything more than a derivative action/adventure game. I slugged through the 5 hours it took me to complete it... and you know what? I don't want to go back. It had a nice plot-twist toward the end, but it seems like it's there just to reassure you that Drake's Uncharted Fortune is merely a competent title, not an impressive one. Overall, I guess it might be worth the $60 price-tag if the only current-gen (NOT next-gen system) you own is a PS3. Expand
  15. Feb 26, 2012
    Nice graphics, interesting gameplay, and very well-made characters and dialogue. Voice acting is TOP notch. However, the story line immediately made me think of Indian Jones. Soon I realized that this WAS indiana jones. Then the weird monsters started attacking. Then I realized that the monsters are just people dressed up as monsters. Then I laughed and realized that this game is reallyNice graphics, interesting gameplay, and very well-made characters and dialogue. Voice acting is TOP notch. However, the story line immediately made me think of Indian Jones. Soon I realized that this WAS indiana jones. Then the weird monsters started attacking. Then I realized that the monsters are just people dressed up as monsters. Then I laughed and realized that this game is really nothing special. Expand
  16. DBCooper
    Feb 12, 2008
    Wave after wave of pointless pirates just becomes tedious after a while - especially when they swarm out of areas that supposedly have not seen the light of day for hundreds of years. The guns also feel underpowered - how many direct hits from an AK-47 can a guy in a tank top withstand? In this game, about 10. I haven't even gotten to the zombies yet. Anyway if you haven't Wave after wave of pointless pirates just becomes tedious after a while - especially when they swarm out of areas that supposedly have not seen the light of day for hundreds of years. The guns also feel underpowered - how many direct hits from an AK-47 can a guy in a tank top withstand? In this game, about 10. I haven't even gotten to the zombies yet. Anyway if you haven't played yet, prepare for a lot of pointless shooting, and get used to this sound, just as you're starting to look around at the environment and get interested in what's going on: "There he is!" "I see him!" "Shoot to kill!" Sigh. Expand
  17. GeorgeD.
    Dec 19, 2007
    I don't know why this game is getting tens! It is good but the short length of the campaign makes it really bad value for money. Also the camera systems erratic seesawing (especially on the jetski stages) induces NAUSEA, which I cannot say is a very pleasant gaming experience.
  18. JoeB.
    Dec 31, 2007
    Combat is bad. Storyline is average. Graphics are stunning!! All he textures look real .. simply amazing. I also thought it was rather difficult, it may be a little much for the average gamer.
  19. EricK.
    Jan 1, 2008
    Way too much shooting, the game drags it out so bad in some spots you never think its gonna end. Not real impressed so far with this websites scores this is the third game i have bought going off the review scores on here and am feeling very cheated.
  20. RobB.
    Mar 14, 2008
    NO REPLAY VALUE! I have played this "last gen game with a coat of new paint" several times through to completion on different levels including "crushing". I have found 61 of 60 tresures and been bored senseless doing so! Don't buy this, there is no point buying a game that you will get bored with after the third play through! Graphically I cant see what people are raving about; the NO REPLAY VALUE! I have played this "last gen game with a coat of new paint" several times through to completion on different levels including "crushing". I have found 61 of 60 tresures and been bored senseless doing so! Don't buy this, there is no point buying a game that you will get bored with after the third play through! Graphically I cant see what people are raving about; the screen tears every time your character turns around! The worst thing about this game is that it's so linear that it can't be described as "Next Gen", unless "Next Gen" really means just a coat of new paint! Expand
  21. ChrisS.
    Mar 16, 2008
    Anything review above a 7 is by children or people who have never played a video game before. This game is gorgeous graphically, that's it. Puzzles are lame and easy and the action gets repetitive and down right tedious after a while. I wouldn't have been as vocal if I hadn't thought a 9 or 10 was showing up in the mail from all the initial reviews. 9s and 10s is what Anything review above a 7 is by children or people who have never played a video game before. This game is gorgeous graphically, that's it. Puzzles are lame and easy and the action gets repetitive and down right tedious after a while. I wouldn't have been as vocal if I hadn't thought a 9 or 10 was showing up in the mail from all the initial reviews. 9s and 10s is what Bioshock, orange box, ratchet and clank, COD4, Halo 3, Rainbow Six Vegas, and others got, this game is not in the same ball park, league, sport, or even the same planet of fun vs those games. The best part of this game is behind the scene extras. It's doing the PS3 a dis service to rate this game this high. If this is a 9 or 10, I made a serious mistake putting 500 bucks down for the PS3. Expand
  22. crackerJax
    Nov 19, 2007
    I saw previews and the graphics look horrible, I saw it on G4 and waasnt sure if it was polished up by then but it was a mission where you were running around on a boat shooting at other people on a boat. I want to really like this game but I think I am going to rent it first.
  23. AshM.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Really pretty game. But really shallow. Boring gunplay, pretty bad sound effects (guns sound like toys), glitchy cover system, bad AI, monotonous level design, boring "collect them all" treasure system.
  24. chrisl
    Mar 22, 2008
    The only reason anyone would rate this game a 9 or 10 is becuase they are so desperate for a exclusive ps3 game to be good. I own ps3 and the xbox360 and games as boring as this keep me going back to my 360. If you would just vote the score these crappy games deserve they would be forced to make better ones, but, since you want to hype up dud's like this they will continue to sell us The only reason anyone would rate this game a 9 or 10 is becuase they are so desperate for a exclusive ps3 game to be good. I own ps3 and the xbox360 and games as boring as this keep me going back to my 360. If you would just vote the score these crappy games deserve they would be forced to make better ones, but, since you want to hype up dud's like this they will continue to sell us the same old garbage. This game deserves a 6. It had it's fun moments but had more boring moments. It would have received a 7or 8 if it was longer and had less monotony. Collapse
  25. JustinG.
    Jun 27, 2008
    I love puzzle adventure games, so I was really looking forward to this game. What a disappointment. Chris S.' review below is spot on the money! I only gave it a 6 because the graphics are stunning, the story was interesting and the game play wasn't bad. Come on guy's, lift your expectations! The puzzles are fed to you on a platter, and the shooter element is so repetitive. I love puzzle adventure games, so I was really looking forward to this game. What a disappointment. Chris S.' review below is spot on the money! I only gave it a 6 because the graphics are stunning, the story was interesting and the game play wasn't bad. Come on guy's, lift your expectations! The puzzles are fed to you on a platter, and the shooter element is so repetitive. If you think this game is deserving of any score above a 6 go back to ps2, play "Soul Reaver" or "God of War" and have a good hard look at this game. Rent it, don't buy it! Expand
  26. Feb 17, 2014
    meh. drake's first adventure is a pretty mediocre one. the gameplay has some pretty fun platforming and puzzles but it focuses too much on the 3rd person shooter gameplay which wasn't very interesting to begin with. the plot though isn't anything groundbreaking or super complex, it is still quite entertaining and is full of loveable characters. the presentation is also quite good but themeh. drake's first adventure is a pretty mediocre one. the gameplay has some pretty fun platforming and puzzles but it focuses too much on the 3rd person shooter gameplay which wasn't very interesting to begin with. the plot though isn't anything groundbreaking or super complex, it is still quite entertaining and is full of loveable characters. the presentation is also quite good but the character models do look kinda awful. Expand
  27. Apr 2, 2012
    The dullest third-person shooting game I have played in a while, complete with quick-time events. The scenery was nice and the graphics were very good too, and the platforming sections were fairly enjoyable. The story is ridiculous though and overall it was kind of a "meh" game.
  28. Feb 2, 2015
    Almost a good game. Graphics are good but confusing. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between background decoration and interactable ledges. Gun play gets frustrating towards the end. Aiming is slow and when you're surrounded by melee enemies, there's no way you can react fast enough. Naughty Dog might think that it's a good way to increase game lenght by making the players doAlmost a good game. Graphics are good but confusing. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between background decoration and interactable ledges. Gun play gets frustrating towards the end. Aiming is slow and when you're surrounded by melee enemies, there's no way you can react fast enough. Naughty Dog might think that it's a good way to increase game lenght by making the players do things that are not really working with game mechanics.
    Still, it's an interesting game with somewhat illogical level design.
  29. Oct 9, 2013
    I don't get it, how is THIS supposed to be one of the "system selling" PS3 games? The gameplay is so totally lame, boring linear platforming, amazingly repetitive and pointless fighting. Sure, the cutscenes are well made and fun, and the scenery is beautiful, but how can any of that compensate for such poor game mechanics is beyond me.
  30. Feb 26, 2013
    Uncharted was a great idea for a game and therefore I believe the series deserves its multiple awards. However, I believe the game reminds me more of a Tomb Raider game from the original PlayStation but with a male protagonist. The gameplay mechanics for shooting were very well done for a 3rd person shooter but I felt like you could traverse the entire game by just hitting the actionUncharted was a great idea for a game and therefore I believe the series deserves its multiple awards. However, I believe the game reminds me more of a Tomb Raider game from the original PlayStation but with a male protagonist. The gameplay mechanics for shooting were very well done for a 3rd person shooter but I felt like you could traverse the entire game by just hitting the action button over and over again while jumping around. The game also included a couple puzzles but I thought they were too easy and a waste of 5 minutes. The story started out great but by the end I really didn't care that much anymore even though the game doesn't take that long to beat. The series deserves respect for what it tried to do but I would rather spend my time playing a longer more interesting game. Expand
  31. Sep 13, 2011
    Played this on normal through to the finish. Loved some parts but others were very annoying. The platforming was good but the puzzles were a bit simple and tge constant gun fights were too much. If I want to shoot stuff I'll play halo or COD. Glad I played it but won't be rushing for the next one.....
  32. Jan 9, 2014
    Game has good production value. The graphics are amazing for the year it came out. Music, sound, and voice acting are all good. What really takes the game down is they sub-par story and the extremely repetitive game play. An hour in and you have seen all there is to offer in terms of game play and the game gets very stale as you wind your way though gun fight after gun fight. VeryGame has good production value. The graphics are amazing for the year it came out. Music, sound, and voice acting are all good. What really takes the game down is they sub-par story and the extremely repetitive game play. An hour in and you have seen all there is to offer in terms of game play and the game gets very stale as you wind your way though gun fight after gun fight. Very repetitive and borderline boring. That said, there is a lot to grow on here (which is probably why the sequels are rated higher) I can definitely see the impact this style of game has had on others like Tomb Raider and The Last of Us (yes I know the later is the same company). Worth playing but not only for those interested in its influence not its fun factor. Expand
  33. Jan 28, 2016
    Disclaimer: I played the PS4 version.

Disclaimer: I played the PS4 version.

I entered this Uncharted: Drake's Fortune with what was likely an unfair amount of hype. I had been hearing incredible things about the Uncharted series for years. I had played and loved The Last of Us so when I actually got my hands on Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, I was somewhat disappointed. Granted this is a 9 year old game and many of the mechanics it features have been improved and iterated on in more modern games (that I've played) so that does put Drake's Fortune at a disadvantage. A lot of the elements of Drake's fortune just don't age well. The cover shooting is repetitive, clunky (unfair?) and extremely over used. The cameras in the platforming sections are often infuriatingly placed. The checkpoints are too infrequent forcing you to replay long stretches of cover shooting or awkward platforming all over again. The game in general only handles ok with some mechanics being extremely frustrating like the stop and go jet ski portions which feel like something that should have been left on the cutting room floor.

The things I was most excited about for Drake's Fortune were the story, the set pieces, the characters and the dialogue. The elements that are most praised about the series. I found that these, while above par by video game standards, are a far cry in quality from the hype or from the likes of games like The Last of Us or Mass Effect or Bioshock. The main characters have potential but they felt under utilized with the villains being utterly cliche and forgettable. In addition, the story was not as front and center as I hoped. The story that was featured was pretty by the numbers and seemed to cherry pick scenes from better adventure films rather than coming up with its own original content. I do like the Francis Drake McGuffin. I'd like to have seen even more of a historical integration.

I know this review seems almost entirely negative but I did enjoy myself while playing the game and the fact that I completed it is a certain amount of validation (though some points were quite a slog). Drake's Fortune shows the promise of what the series could be (is?) and hopefully as I move forward in the Uncharted Collection the sequels live up to that promise.
  34. Dec 26, 2011
    Uncharted is one of the few games I've played that does not match up to critics' review scores. Excellent: music, art, and tech, many extras crammed onto disc, some good gameplay sequences. Terrible: controls, cover mechanics, jumping mechanics, shooting mechanics, enemy behavior is too much like whack-a-mole, repetitive shooting scenarios, ridiculous difficulty even on easy, savegameUncharted is one of the few games I've played that does not match up to critics' review scores. Excellent: music, art, and tech, many extras crammed onto disc, some good gameplay sequences. Terrible: controls, cover mechanics, jumping mechanics, shooting mechanics, enemy behavior is too much like whack-a-mole, repetitive shooting scenarios, ridiculous difficulty even on easy, savegame checkpoints are extremely frustrating even on easy. The critically lauded story is the usual fluff and goes downhill later on. Overall, a good concept with some good elements but the whole experience is ruined by difficulty and frustration--so ruined that I registered for Metacritic to post this review. I usually play games at least twice but I have zero interest in replaying Uncharted:DF. Expand
  35. Dec 11, 2013
    "Shoot Targets And Climb Things The Game".

"Shoot Targets And Climb Things The Game".

I'm worried that the critics could love this game so much. Having just played it, years after the graphics got old, the entire game seems build around "pretty" surfaces. It plays like a showcase for the (early) PS3 rather than a showcase for creative software. The story is too simple and contrived to be worthwhile for adults, while the gameplay is too brutal and tense for a recommendation towards teenagers. The first many chapters are about exploration, but it didn't give the feeling of mystique or intrigue, since all gameplay elements are taken from Tomb Raider, CoD, etc. If you've played a bunch of video games, you've seen everything in this game before. Even when the game suddenly changes tone and becomes (way too) horrific, I was like "wait, this is stressful but not exciting at all!".. it just exposes you to various levels of stress, and some very simple puzzles. Each element is simplified and not nearly as good as more focused games. The plot itself would be cringeworthy in an action film. It's no Indiana Jones or anything. It's just a bunch of people who happen to run to the EXACT right places through chaotic terrain, only to meet more "bad guys", repeated dozens of times, and then the clichéd twist. I played it on easy, and when it turned into a horror game, it just went from "same three villains repeated for hours" to "one villain that stresses you out in a new way" for an hour or so. There are some sequences with different gameplay, and they are more enjoyable, but still there's little progress gameplay wise from how these games were made in the 90s.
  36. Aug 15, 2015
    Playing this game in 2015 really shows it's age. I love me some classic games, but this one hasn't aged well at all. The good: the presentation is fantastic, the soundtrack being on top, the characters and voice acting is great and the graphics are still nice today. Though there was a lot of screentearing. But unfortunately the gameplay is painfully mediocre (coming from Naughty Dog).Playing this game in 2015 really shows it's age. I love me some classic games, but this one hasn't aged well at all. The good: the presentation is fantastic, the soundtrack being on top, the characters and voice acting is great and the graphics are still nice today. Though there was a lot of screentearing. But unfortunately the gameplay is painfully mediocre (coming from Naughty Dog). Luckily they went from a turd to a masterpiece with Uncharted 2, but this one gets a 6/10 from me. Expand
  37. Mar 14, 2013
    This rating is not based on a thorough play-through but on first impressions... WTF! I came into the game expecting a Tomb Raider meets Prince of Persia platformer... and suddenly I'm playing a 3rd person shooter, with horrible gun controls (though I have NEVER liked playing any shooter on a console), limited ammo, and enemies that -literally- spawn out of nowhere. Seriously, I died duringThis rating is not based on a thorough play-through but on first impressions... WTF! I came into the game expecting a Tomb Raider meets Prince of Persia platformer... and suddenly I'm playing a 3rd person shooter, with horrible gun controls (though I have NEVER liked playing any shooter on a console), limited ammo, and enemies that -literally- spawn out of nowhere. Seriously, I died during an encounter and on my 2nd attempt waited outside the door for them to start firing... they did not even exist until I hit the doorway, then WHAM.....

I'm gonna keep playing the game, but, I just can't let a HORRENDOUS game design decision like that go.
  38. Oct 28, 2014
    Pros:
    -Slick presentation
    -Likable cast -Challenging even on easy -Exciting gameplay. -Parkcore ala Prince of Persia Cons -monotonous gameplay. Walk to in a room. Baddies infest room. Kill them. Second wave of baddies -It's challenging even on easy. -In the parkcore parts sometimes you don't notice a ledge and get stuck -Camera can be frustrating at times as it moves to a more
    Pros:
    -Slick presentation
    -Likable cast
    -Challenging even on easy
    -Exciting gameplay.
    -Parkcore ala Prince of Persia

Cons
    -It's challenging even on easy.
    -In the parkcore parts sometimes you don't notice a ledge and get stuck
    -Camera can be frustrating at times as it moves to a more cinematic angle

Conclusion: Big, shiny, and polished but the gameplay can sometimes get in the way of the enjoyment. Would still recommend it though, especially if you are more seasoned with 3rd person shooters.
  39. Mar 5, 2014
    This game has a lot a hype behind it. Going into it, I was told Uncharted would be one of the greatest games I would play. Unfortunately it never really lived up to the hype. The game has a great story, interesting characters, and a cool setting. The issue is the gameplay. The third person shooting mechanics aren't that interesting. After playing games like Vanquish, I really can'tThis game has a lot a hype behind it. Going into it, I was told Uncharted would be one of the greatest games I would play. Unfortunately it never really lived up to the hype. The game has a great story, interesting characters, and a cool setting. The issue is the gameplay. The third person shooting mechanics aren't that interesting. After playing games like Vanquish, I really can't appreciate the shooting in Uncharted. Occasionally the fights get really difficult. However, it's not difficult in a fun way like Dark Souls. It's just a pain in the ass.
    However, the game as a whole is actually pretty good. I'd recommend it.
  40. Oct 8, 2013
    muito bom o jogo mas tem suas baixas a mecânica do jogo e bem precisa mas a vezes que tem um bug, o enredo e excelente a campanha começa bem chatinha e la para perto do final fica bom os gráficos para a época eram impressionante comparando com outros games do mesmo ano
  41. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 8 out of 10, Graphics: 9 out of 10, Fun: 5 out of 10, Controls: 7 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 7 out of 10, Length: 8 out of 10, Re-play: 3 out of 10, Value: 6 out of 10

Too much platforming; can you climb this, jump here, scurry there, timing, climb, jump, scury, timing, platform, platform, platform... geez, more platforming?! aihhhhhhhhh, the excessive platforming killed the game for me!
  42. Jan 2, 2015
    Indiana Jones light. I love this type of exotic adventure, the ancient treasure hunt, some mystique thrown in and charismatic hunter in the lead. That's why I love Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones. Nathan Drake is not as sympathetic or cool as Indiana, nor is he as sexy as Lara Croft, but he still gets the job done. The closest to Uncharted are probably first two Tomb Raiders and IndianaIndiana Jones light. I love this type of exotic adventure, the ancient treasure hunt, some mystique thrown in and charismatic hunter in the lead. That's why I love Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones. Nathan Drake is not as sympathetic or cool as Indiana, nor is he as sexy as Lara Croft, but he still gets the job done. The closest to Uncharted are probably first two Tomb Raiders and Indiana Jones and The Infernal Machine, both better than this. The problem with Uncharted is that it soon turns into a shooting fest and that kills the game basically. Most of the time you're just shooting waves and waves of enemies, it doesn't even make sense, they just keep magically appearing where it suits them, one moment there is an empty room, you make one step and suddenly the room is filled with 10 bastardos. Wave after wave after wave, it gets boring pretty soon and annoying soon after that. The clunky combat mechanics and often bad camera doesn't help either. If the game was more focused on the exploration, the story and the mysteries ala Indiana Jones and less on shooting, it would be much better. Hopefully Naughty Dog learned from their mistakes and improved this in the next Uncharted chapters, I'm going to play all of them in order soon, so we will see. So far, this is a promising start, a bit overrated, but that's usually the case with Naughty Dog games, so I'm keeping my expectations fairly low and hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised with the next Uncharted title. 6/10 Expand
  43. Nov 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is a great game with really smooth graphic and surroundings with just a few repetitive gun play that might get boring in between not a masterpiece though as i'm rating this game after playing Uncharted 2 and 3. or else would have given 9 still the game play was fun :D Expand
  44. Aug 12, 2014
    It is definitely the worst Uncharted launched on PS3. But still, it is Uncharted with nice characters and decent story. I am glad that Naughty Dog improved all aspects of the game and made brilliant sequels, Uncharted 2 & 3.
  45. Jul 15, 2014
    Uncharted is a fun and well made game, well worth playing through for almost any gamer. It'll take most less than 10 hours to play though, but those hours are filled with capable and fun third person shooting, cinematic platforming, and the occasional puzzle which is all very reminiscent of the older Tomb Raider games or films like National Treasure or The Mummy. The storyline is prettyUncharted is a fun and well made game, well worth playing through for almost any gamer. It'll take most less than 10 hours to play though, but those hours are filled with capable and fun third person shooting, cinematic platforming, and the occasional puzzle which is all very reminiscent of the older Tomb Raider games or films like National Treasure or The Mummy. The storyline is pretty much par-for-the-course, taking no real risks while remaining well written and paced for what it is; containing memorable characters who I enjoyed my time with. Cut scenes establish motive and set the scene without feeling too drawn out. All in all, this is a solid game that doesn't overstay it's welcome. Nothing particularly groundbreaking or special about it, but well crafted and enjoyable with nothing beyond the most superficial of flaws. I'd recommend this to most gamers. Expand
  46. Apr 15, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Re-played this as part of the nathan drake collection. The remastered version doesnt look half bad. I have finished all the uncharted games, so it was nice to replay them all to see the evolution.

Drakes fortune is a solid game, and at the time of release in 2007, this was one of the most fun action adventure games out there. The main character was easy to like, the story was good. What made the story even better were strange and mysterious things that you stumble across (like the old german u-boat in the middle of the jungle). Comparing it to the other uncharted games makes it seem a little bit limited. There arent any major set action pieces. Those that existed werent as good. This may be a little unfair since later uncharted games probably had a bigger budget.

The bad guys main characters werent as memorable, shooting was not perfect but some interesting elements with the different guns. I loved how the AI try to dodge bullets, making themselves harder targets by moving. Puzzles were few inbetween and not at all challenging. Finally, some of the platforming in this game is off mark, leading to some very fustrating deaths.
  47. Oct 17, 2015
    The game was good. The story was solid. I definitely had my Indiana Jones vibe in full swing during the game. The only downside is the terrible shooting controls.
  48. Oct 27, 2015
    Over all has a good story and characters. Aggro comes often, which I don't mind so much, but controls are clumsy and counter intuitive, ammunition is at a premium. Game requires you to fire from cover, but cover comes at different angles, quite often putting you in the line of fire due to the fact that Drake has picked the wrong facet of a pillar or wall to hide behind, no fault due to theOver all has a good story and characters. Aggro comes often, which I don't mind so much, but controls are clumsy and counter intuitive, ammunition is at a premium. Game requires you to fire from cover, but cover comes at different angles, quite often putting you in the line of fire due to the fact that Drake has picked the wrong facet of a pillar or wall to hide behind, no fault due to the player. Scoped firing moves slower than the targets, eliminating rapid fire and quick target acquisition. Awkward camera angles are no friend to the player either. Sometimes make it impossible to see targets or objectives. Expand
  49. Dec 27, 2015
    It's oddly addictive despite it's numerous frustrating design choices and overly-simplistic puzzles. Enemy AI is quite aggressive which makes for some cool and tense gunfights but enemies take way too much damage, Uncharted goes by the logic that if a headshot is the Black Plague then a shot anywhere else to the body is a zit. Additionally the weapon ranges and damage are total BS. ShotgunIt's oddly addictive despite it's numerous frustrating design choices and overly-simplistic puzzles. Enemy AI is quite aggressive which makes for some cool and tense gunfights but enemies take way too much damage, Uncharted goes by the logic that if a headshot is the Black Plague then a shot anywhere else to the body is a zit. Additionally the weapon ranges and damage are total BS. Shotgun range is nerfed to an idiotic degree, the AK47 is less powerful than your starting pistol and the grenade launcher/grenades have a damage radius of what seems like two metres... There are also a few on-rails/vehicle segments which are just inexplicably frustrating and really leave a sour taste.

The story is a pastiche of 37 other booty conquest stories and the dialogue is extremely average but Nolan North does sound like he's giving it his all so I understand why he's so lauded.

As I mentioned, there are many frustrating elements but on the whole this is a fun and beautifully presented time-killer.
  50. Feb 26, 2016
    Before i get into the review, i need to say that i don't hate Uncharted, Naughty Dog or sony, but the amount of people that say that naughty dog has never and never will make a bad game i just mindblowing and i feel the need to say my honest opinion on this game, to demonstrate the flaws, errors and overall bad design that this game has, that fanboys and Naughty dog and Uncharted fans seemBefore i get into the review, i need to say that i don't hate Uncharted, Naughty Dog or sony, but the amount of people that say that naughty dog has never and never will make a bad game i just mindblowing and i feel the need to say my honest opinion on this game, to demonstrate the flaws, errors and overall bad design that this game has, that fanboys and Naughty dog and Uncharted fans seem to forget when critiquing this game (Watch a video called "The Naughty dog effect" to see what i mean). With that said let's start with this review.

Story: Uncharted story is nothing special, you are this guy called Nathan Drake, with an ali called sully, that are basically treasure hunters, this 2 find a clue to where the treasure of Francis Drake is and the plan is to get it and use it to pay bills, oh and a reporter called Elena is also here. Aaaaaaaand...That's pretty much it, no kidding that's the entire premise of the game, at most this is an average plot, but it's certainly not the reason you want to play this game.

Presentation: Uncharted's presentation issss.....uuuuuuuummm...weeeell...i guess it's OK for an "early" realised title, but by this time games like gears of war had already been out and i get that the ps3 is hard to code for, but the system had already been out for a year, you are supposed to figure that **** out. Not helping is the fact that the game can look downright dull at times, the color pallet is very limited and i get that they are trying to realistic, but come on! the real world doesn't have grey all over place! this is also something that gears of war suffered from, but at least that game had all the other presentation aspects covered). Tho there are some times that the environments can look pretty gorgeous with clever use of color and lighting effects, these are the best looking moments of the game, but there are so many of the dull, uninspired moments that pretty much kills the look of the game and at least for me the characters models and animations fall into the uncanny valley, top all of that with forgettable music (aside from the theme song), glitches i encountered numerous times and 30 fps and you got a bland presentation overall, definitely not a good example of the potential of the PS3, this is a department that Uncharted 2 is much better at.

Gameplay: Uncharted is a third person shooter with some platforming elements thrown in to reduce the repetitiveness. You use the L1 button to aim and the L2 button to shoot, not the R triggers like the usual shooters uh?...ok. To cover you press the circle button and you move with the left analog stick, move the camera with the right stick, Sound familiar? YES this is indeed gears of war gameplay, an exact rip-off of it!, how is this original? how is this something unique? i've seen plenty of reviews that say this statements and i can't disagree more. Now you might argue the same thing for the new super mario games (games that i actually like), but the difference is that shooting games are a lot more repetitive that platforming games. The only thing that uncharted does "new" is the most basic parkour system i have ever seen and the most easy puzzles i have ever solved. Not only that, but because of the placement and pattern of the enemies, the only way the defeat the shooting sections is by memorizing where every enemy is and when they are going to move and that's just fun is in it?. There is a good variety of weapons, meaningless collectables and the combat mechanics that are very decent (and by that i mean you mash the square button), but that doesn't save the other fatal flaws of the game. Oh and one last thing: **** the boat segments, there's only like 2 of them, but horrible controls and cheap enemy and trap placement, makes this parts the worst of the entire game.

Overall Uncharted (for me at least) is a mediocre title at best, "don't own game" at the it's worst, the graphics are decent at best, the shooting mechanics are ripped right out of gears of war, that require no strategy and instead tedious memorization, the music is forgettable, the puzzles are easy, the parkour is extremely basic and the story is nothing special, with that in mind i give this game 5/10. It's not an abomination of a game, i mean superman 64 still exist, but it's a forgettable, bland title that unless you want to complete a PS3 collection you should never buy (or you could get it very cheap).
  51. Jan 12, 2016
    If you came for a pre-PS2 Tomb Raider-like adventure, you have been fooled, like many of us. If you came for an endless shooting fest with the occasional gorgeous sight or funny dialog, you might just feel at home.

Marketed as an adventure game with tons of exploration and good puzzles, what you get is a game that is 90% shooting, 9% exploration and 1% puzzles. The so-called puzzles

The so-called puzzles are offensive to the intelectual level of even a child (even though the game is clearly targeted at adults with all the swearing and violence) and, just in case you suffered from brain damage recently, it flat out spoils the thing to you a minute after it started to get interesting because you actually had to think (though this can be disabled through an option no one tells you exists in the menus). I am not joking when I say that Crash Bandicoot is more intelectually challenging.

The exploration is almost always not actually exploration since most of the time you only have one way to go and it is very clear which way that is, as the camera often points you directly to it. If you have two ways to go then you can bet the one that looks less like the way forward will have a not-so-secret secret in it. Speaking of which, the secrets are not actually useful for anything other than decorating your menu and PSN account. They don't interfere with the game in any way, so there is little incentive in picking them. The one redeeming quality is that the scenery is gorgeous even by today's standards. Everything is smooth and the colors stand out. However, they seem to have traded in some serious frames per second in favour of that. This can be forgiven since that is usually the way it is.

And there is the shooting. It is endless. There are no enemies hanging around by themselves. It is always a big wave of enemies shooting at you like there is no tomorrow and you have no option but to hide behind things and pray that they will not shoot at you from another angle from somewhere you cannot see. They usually take 4 or 5 hits to die unless you manage to perform a headshot which always feels like it is more than just shooting in the head, since 90% of the time you shoot someone in the head they will stay alive as if nothing happened. Also, there is no way to kill without being noticed. As soon as you kill the first guy, the other ones will start screaming and shooting, so there is really no incentive in even trying to be stealthy about it. You have melee combat which is actually quite fun, but as soons as chapter 4 you are already suicidal if you try to employ it. Also, this game features mandatory auto-healing, which I would usually be against, but, hey, you have 20 men shooting at you like crazy-- you take any help you can.

The only reason I gave this game a 5 is because it has great visuals, good enough plot, funny characters and some decent music. Everything else it tries to do is ruined by either padding (which is clearly the reason for all the battles), underestimating their target audience's intelligence level or trying to appeal to everyone at once.

I heard that Uncharted 2 remedied many of these problems, but I am not paying to see it.
  52. Feb 3, 2016
    The game has got a lot of good ideas like puzzles but they aren't used to their full potential. The main reason I give 5 points instead of 7 is the EXTREME amount of shooting. No matter which part of the game it is you have to shoot about 10-20 enemies in EVERY....SINGLE....ROOOM. It's really annoying after some time. The best example is... when you get to a secret chamber through puzzlesThe game has got a lot of good ideas like puzzles but they aren't used to their full potential. The main reason I give 5 points instead of 7 is the EXTREME amount of shooting. No matter which part of the game it is you have to shoot about 10-20 enemies in EVERY....SINGLE....ROOOM. It's really annoying after some time. The best example is... when you get to a secret chamber through puzzles that the pirates couldn't solve by themselves ( so there's absolutely no way there can be any pirates in the secret chamber) even there are pirates out of nowhere who start to shoot you. It's very very annoying. After some time I was just sure that it would take about 5 minutes before I hear "He's here" from somewhere in the room. Expand
  53. Apr 17, 2016
    No me acabo de convencer.Es aburido,repitivo y no me gustan los puzzles.Los enemigos parecen inmortales.Las fisicas me gustan,pero repito es aburrido me pasa lo mismo con the last os us y gears of war.
    Se me hacen aburridos
  54. Apr 18, 2016
    Comienza la aventura que marcará una generación de consola (PS3).

Sin duda hoy en día hablar de Uncharted es sacarse el sombrero ante uno de las sagas más potentes de la actualidad en playstation pero su origen no es tan épico como cuenta la leyenda. En Uncharted Drake´s Fortune, conocemos a nuestro carismático protagonista Nathan Drake y gracias a la genialidad del siempre correcto
    Comienza la aventura que marcará una generación de consola (PS3).

En Uncharted Drake´s Fortune, conocemos a nuestro carismático protagonista Nathan Drake y gracias a la genialidad del siempre correcto Naughty Dog, estudio desarrollador de la franquicia, nos presentan una muy divertida aventura para pasar las próximas horas frente a nuestro televisor.

En la historia somos un cazador de tesoros al más puro estilo de India Jones o Lara Croft en busca del mítico "El Dorado" donde esperamos gloria y fortuna. Nos acompañan nuestro mentor y leal amigo Sully y la bella periodista Elena, a los cuales no controlaremos pero si nos servirán de apoyo en secuencias de disparos o para resolver algunos puzzles que encontraremos dentro de esta obra.

El apartado visual, dirección de arte y banda sonora están en lo más alto y fue por lo que este título destacó entre otra de sus cualidades técnicas. El guión sin ser el mejor nos presentaba una historia interesante de jugar y los personajes secundarios complementaban de forma brillante el eje central de Uncharted.

Lo más negativo de este título era sin duda su pobre jugabilidad, teniendo un pésimo sistema de cobertura y en ocasiones manejar a Drake se hacia bastante pesado. Además de ciertos problemas de guión que nos cortaban nuestra experiencia de jugador por ser difíciles de creer, como por ejemplo que después de internarnos en catacumbas donde solo nuestro protagonista y sus increíbles habilidades podían lograr, nos encontrábamos con el ejercito de enemigos que aparecieron por obra de magia.

A veces también era repetitivo y cansino el ritmo lineal y cíclico del juego, que consistía en investigar, descubrir una nueva zona y luego la clásica secuencia de tiroteos. Este esquema se repite a lo largo de prácticamente todo el juego.

A pesar de lo bueno y lo malo este es un juego que DEBES jugar, en especial por que lo que se viene posteriormente será realmente bueno. La saga Uncharted es un indispensable para los jugadores de PS3 y PS4.
  55. stuart
    Aug 10, 2008
    Good, but not great. The mechanics of assasins creed are a lot better. Worth renting to play through. very short game.
  56. EricG.
    Dec 25, 2007
    Totally agree with Toby O. Uncharted has the spirit of a great Indy movie, but is bogged down on numerous occasions by constant streams of bad guys to shoot, which gets very repetitive very quickly. I'd even say all the extra, unnecessary shooting pads the game another 3 hours that I could've done without. Don't get me wrong, the platforming is great, the presentation is Totally agree with Toby O. Uncharted has the spirit of a great Indy movie, but is bogged down on numerous occasions by constant streams of bad guys to shoot, which gets very repetitive very quickly. I'd even say all the extra, unnecessary shooting pads the game another 3 hours that I could've done without. Don't get me wrong, the platforming is great, the presentation is superb and overall package is first rate, but that one blemish of all the shooting really took a lot away from it for me. Expand
  57. DJC.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Plays nicely and looks pretty good but there is too much shooting and not nearly enough puzzles.
  58. TobyO.
    Dec 9, 2007
    While good looking and with a passable popcorn-esque story, Uncharted falls off the charts for its subpar gameplay. I want jungle exploration and next-gen Tomb Raider-esque platforming. Instead, I'm forced to shoot endless streams of drones in a knockoff of Gears of War's aim/cover mechanic. I thought this was inspired by Romancing the Stone, not Hardboiled. I thought this was While good looking and with a passable popcorn-esque story, Uncharted falls off the charts for its subpar gameplay. I want jungle exploration and next-gen Tomb Raider-esque platforming. Instead, I'm forced to shoot endless streams of drones in a knockoff of Gears of War's aim/cover mechanic. I thought this was inspired by Romancing the Stone, not Hardboiled. I thought this was going to be like Tomb Raider, not Contra! Once again, a developer pads its gameplay with way too much shooting -- which to me ruined the game. Expand
  59. TboneRex
    Jan 24, 2008
    While this game is good and looks beautiful it's not big on the puzzles. The game pretty much guides you right through with many hints or way too obvious paths. There is a lot more shooting in the game than I thought. Which is okay but if you are used to other FPS games it's not that great. Back to the adventure stuff... the story is pretty good and the characters are great but While this game is good and looks beautiful it's not big on the puzzles. The game pretty much guides you right through with many hints or way too obvious paths. There is a lot more shooting in the game than I thought. Which is okay but if you are used to other FPS games it's not that great. Back to the adventure stuff... the story is pretty good and the characters are great but I remember the old tomb raiders games and how you'd work out the problem in your head while trying it on screen. This game just gives you the answer. Even on hard you can't get lost or stuck for more than 2 minutes so I felt like I was just blowing through this game. On a rental you can finish it if you have about 6 to 8 hours to kill. It's nice but not the adventure game I was hoping for... also too much shooting and not enough exploring. Expand
  60. TheTruth
    Jan 25, 2008
    Ok, where to start? Controls could of been custumizable, to be more specific I prefer invert y and x. As for story line, pretty boring but the gameplay kept it interesting. As for graphics, nothing special but nice. I think it would be a nice collection to have for the ps3. Overall, worth more than to rent.
  61. WordyWordword
    May 29, 2008
    Very repetitive after the first hour, but I persevered. Stunning graphics, the light shining through the leaves is an amazing thing to see when you are just plodding through the jungle. Lack of weaponry made it easy for me to turn off about 80% through, it just got boring.
  62. DB
    Aug 15, 2008
    Uncharted is a fun single player game, worth playing through. It has great colorful graphics and a decent story line, which can be a bit cheesy in a Indiana Jones/National Treasure sort of way. The gameplay is similar to a Tomb Raider style and has a lot of jumping puzzles that tend to get a bit repetitive after a while. It does now support trophies, so that is a plus, but I'd say it Uncharted is a fun single player game, worth playing through. It has great colorful graphics and a decent story line, which can be a bit cheesy in a Indiana Jones/National Treasure sort of way. The gameplay is similar to a Tomb Raider style and has a lot of jumping puzzles that tend to get a bit repetitive after a while. It does now support trophies, so that is a plus, but I'd say it doesn't have much, if any, replayability. Overall I'd say it's a good, not great, game. Worth while picking up on a rental or get a deal on it used. Expand
  63. ConorO.
    Jan 13, 2008
    Overall, this is a great game. It does so many things better than any other game out there. The characters and plot, while not exactly cinema standard, are the best of any game I've seen in a quite a while. The game is also excellently paced; gameplay varies between shooting, exploring and puzzles which keeps things interesting. Graphically, this game is top notch. The diverse and Overall, this is a great game. It does so many things better than any other game out there. The characters and plot, while not exactly cinema standard, are the best of any game I've seen in a quite a while. The game is also excellently paced; gameplay varies between shooting, exploring and puzzles which keeps things interesting. Graphically, this game is top notch. The diverse and interesting locations are well presented. A few of the character animations look a small bit clunky compared to the new heights of smoothness seen in Assassin's Creed, but they're not particularly bad. Facial expressions in particular are well animated and really help convey the characters personalities. Because of this, though the story is related primarily through cut scenes, these are never annoying, as the characters are genuinely likable, and their actions are a pleasure to watch. When I got the game I expected something a bit more like Tomb Raider and while some sections are, know that the majority of time in Uncharted is spent shooting. For the most part the shooting is good but it often feels like it's artificially dragged out, with unseen waves of enemies appearing from no where. This is especially true when you first arrive at the island, after the introductory part of the game. Here the pacing falls down and you must persevere through several shooting galleries before another kind of gameplay is offered up. Furthermore, it almost makes no sense for the enemies to show up in some of the locations they do. All in all, an excellent effort from Naughty Dog, let down in places by small problems. Expand
  64. MichaelP.
    Apr 28, 2008
    good game,very fun but it lacks something that all you know,graphics they stink compared to gears of war or turok.
  65. EriU.
    Jun 25, 2008
    It was ok not as great a the reviews but worth playing definitely a game to play but not a s good as the hype.
  66. Jan 10, 2012
    The graphics are very good, but the jungle setting grows old fast. The cover-based shooting isn't as fluid as the second game, and neither is the climbing and jumping. That being said, you get a sense of potential while playing the game, and the characters of Nate, Elena, and Sully carry the whole game. Still, it's a bit too repetitive to live up to its amazing sequel.
  67. Apr 12, 2011
    Good game, but over-hyped in my opinion. The game plays like assassin's creed with guns, except the wall climbing isn't as polished as in assassin's creed. There are some jumps you may miss even if Nathan looks like he should have made the grab. You can also very easily walk off to your death, a lot like in demon souls but demon souls isn't the wall jumping type of game. Another pointGood game, but over-hyped in my opinion. The game plays like assassin's creed with guns, except the wall climbing isn't as polished as in assassin's creed. There are some jumps you may miss even if Nathan looks like he should have made the grab. You can also very easily walk off to your death, a lot like in demon souls but demon souls isn't the wall jumping type of game. Another point that bothered me was that a few passages that were supposedly secret and difficult to reach are riddled with enemies. The dialogues in the game were pretty good. Overall, not as great as all the hype made it out to be. I have high expectations for Uncharted 2, which I plan to play next. Expand
  68. Nov 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't get it wrong it is a great game... until you reach the end and zombies start to run after you.
    Also the aiming system is not the best either, find it hard to be on cover sometimes.
    But overall you take loads of pleasure killing those mexicanos in this beautiful island.
  69. Nov 29, 2011
    Modern version of prince of persia, excellent acrobatics, at times combat is frustrating. The final boss is frustratingly cheap in a difficult way. Dirt cheap now go get it now
  70. Nov 6, 2011
    This game was great, it gave an awesome movie hero feel and it was really fun just jumping around with Drake. Of course I feel like I would love to know Drake more, and thank god Naughty Dog decided to make a sequel for this one as I can only see this series getting better and better.
  71. Nov 16, 2011
    A great single player experience can be had with this game, the graphics at times are pretty good, some of the level design is mostly ok althoguh the platform elements are extremely easy. The only challenge the game offers is from the combat which becomes very tiresome and repetitive. Overall the game has a nice adventure feeling but would have greatly benefited from some more open levels.
  72. Nov 10, 2012
    great graphics and good looking charcters. Uncharted is like the better and funner version of Tomb Raider. They had clear stories and simply steps wat to do next in the game. but Tomb Raider is like a game really have to get ur brain thinking and sovle problem. i cant really stick to this game for too long though ,maybe it s me idk.
  73. Mar 15, 2013
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is a good game, but it's not great. It's quite repetitive and the combat is somewhat clunky compared to other games but Uncharted 2/3 don't have this problem, The graphics are nice for 2007. The best thing about Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is it's story and characters which are all interesting and it's great to play through the game just to see how the storyUncharted: Drake's Fortune is a good game, but it's not great. It's quite repetitive and the combat is somewhat clunky compared to other games but Uncharted 2/3 don't have this problem, The graphics are nice for 2007. The best thing about Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is it's story and characters which are all interesting and it's great to play through the game just to see how the story unfolds, It's gripping and good fun, the gameplay is by no means bad, but a bit clunky with silly things like Sixaxis controlled grenade throws but it's a game worth playing if you own a PS3. Expand
  74. Jun 3, 2013
    Naughty Dog really blew away the competition in action adventure games with this title and series. It has for the most part redefined the action adventure genre. The game features great well scripted characters, with good chemistry that lets the player engage with the story as they progress throughout the game. A highly appraised feature in this game is the character design andNaughty Dog really blew away the competition in action adventure games with this title and series. It has for the most part redefined the action adventure genre. The game features great well scripted characters, with good chemistry that lets the player engage with the story as they progress throughout the game. A highly appraised feature in this game is the character design and animation, you'll watch the main protagonist get hurt fall down stumble and struggle throughout his journey that really gives a sense of realism. The musical score fits the game perfectly and captures the mood in each and every level. The game however can be faulted on the lack of multiplayer and co-op capabilities. Expand
  75. Jun 1, 2016
    Made the mistake of playing part 2 and 3 before playing this one. Pretty awesome and a good start to the journey of Nathan Drake. A few parts of the game will leave you frustrating, but overall a must play if you want to follow the next 3 part of the series
  76. Jun 6, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is a solid action-adventure game, but is over-hyped. Make no mistake, the majority of it is quite good, but there are a few things holding it back from achieving true greatness.

The thrill of jumping from ledge to ledge, barely making a tough jump across a bottomless pit and then landing only to take cover from an oncoming missile is certainly the high point of the game. Not that each individual aspect is excellent on it's own, but the way Drake's Fortune utilizes all of these elements together makes it fun. Despite this, there are some annoying aspects as well. The gunfights seem to go on forever, especially as you near the end, with the developers taking on 'let's throw a hundred enemies at the player at a time' mentality in an attempt to increase the difficulty. It isn't more difficult, just time consuming and tedious to mow down a ton of generic bad guys. At least the AI is good: the enemies won't just charge into an open field, they'll take cover, throw grenades at you and even come to you if you don't move from a spot.

The other half of the game play is made up of climbing, jumping and running across a dangerous, dense forest island. As mentioned, it is intense in certain parts, and very fun to figure out ways you can advance to the next area. The game doesn't make everything obvious to you, you have to think to figure things out. This adds yet another layer of depth to things, making strategizing a must if you want to complete the game. This is also a downside, however, as sometimes you'll be left to figure out a puzzle (where to jump, what dials to turn, signs to follow, etc.) that isn't particularly exciting or creative. Moments like that really take momentum out of the game, especially near the climax, when things should feel tight and harrowing but are instead fairly boring.

The characters, such as Nathan Drake himself and his friends Elena and Sully. Their dialogue, as well as the bad guys' is perfect throughout, as you get the feeling right off the bat that most of the characters have known each other for years. The chemistry is spot on, which is a huge plus considering there are quite a few cinematic sequences. This is also good because the main plot itself is relatively uninteresting, basically a typical plot involving getting to a treasure before the bad guys do, which then turns into a 'get to the cursed treasure first because the bad guys don't know what they're doing'. It all feels like an Indiana Jones movie, which this game borrows heavily from. The humor keeps things fresh, however, and there are some nice story touches here and there that make things a little more personal.

Graphically, I can't rate the original release, since I played the remastered version on the Nathan Drake Collection. But that version looks pretty and polished, about as good as a glorified 2007 PS3 title can look in 2016. That's a good thing, as there's plenty of great scenery and views of the ocean. The features on the character's are also well done, looking realistic enough and able to convey expressions effectively. The sound is good, if unspectacular (not counting the voice acting), but the one laughably bad thing about the technical side is the death animations of the bad guys. I don't think shooting a bad guy with a pistol should make him fly ten feet in the air while doing a back flip. For a game that feels grounded in reality most of the time, seeing something like that can you right out of the experience. You get used to it eventually, but it's still a weak point.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune ultimately offers an entertaining, but uneven campaign. There's plenty of strong moments, but also quite a few frustrating, repetitive or downright boring ones that keep things from becoming truly thrilling. The characters are great, the plot not so much, but things move along smoothly enough most of the time. It's nothing groundbreaking or even original, but I would recommend this game to just about anyone looking for a fun, often lighthearted (despite all the violence) game. Just don't expect a masterpiece, and you'll enjoy it. I'm looking forward to playing the other titles in the series, which look even better than this.

The final sum is far greater than the individual parts. Maybe you don't dig the combat or maybe the pop-in gets you down, but the overall package of an endearing story, outstanding score, great performances and fun gameplay should put this title on the top of your holiday wishlist.
    This game is one of the most immersive gaming experiences I've had this year, and it's definitely a great reason to own a PS3. The mix of platforming and gunplay worked really well and left me craving the next title in the series.
  3. By starting with a great control and camera system, building on that with excellent combat and a wonderful spin on Ico's platform adventuring, and then topping it off with a decent storyline, Naughty Dog has cooked up one of the most relentlessly entertaining, fat-free games to emerge in ages. Topped off with the most stunning use of the PS3's underused technical prowess yet, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is, for my money, the first must-have PlayStation 3 title.