8.1

1. Jul 16, 2014
    When I heard UbiArt announcing this game and what it was about, I felt like they somehow read my mind, as I am a World War I "buff" and love puzzle games. And I am so very happy that it met up with my expectations entirely.

While I agree with some reviewers saying that the puzzles seem at times to make the game more child-like, I feel that was a valid choice in that you are trying to show the war in a different light than, say, the thousand FPS call-of-duty clones out there, all trying to make the player into the Rambo-like, unstoppable hero of his own action movie. This actively avoids having you kill anyone, instead knocking them out with a punch upside the head. You throw grenades at times, but the enemy runs before they explode. You may feel like they are babying you, keeping the horrors away, but if you look around your characters, the horror is all around you: you don't need to add to it when the screen fills up with the dead and dying. When your actions are directly responsible for a person's death, it is shown exactly as it should be shown - a horrific act that you would regret, not celebrate; something unforgettable rather than a bloodless body-count racking up on a screen.

As you play, the puzzles don't change too much in difficulty, but the feeling of helplessness ramps up, as everything you do seems to feel less and less like a victory. That's the point. That's what the war felt like to many. And if that ending doesn't move you to tears, I feel that you really didn't give the attention to the message this game was telling you.

This is not a game for kids. This is a game showing how a generation lost their innocence to this war.
  2. Jul 4, 2014
    Valiant Hearts is a beautifully drawn game, whose story is based loosely on events from WWI. In theory its a great idea but somehow the game feels like something a child would play in elementary school as a teaching program. Everything about this game is juvenile, its music (reminiscent of early learning cartoons), its controls and puzzles (are reminiscent of ABCmouse.com). It is aValiant Hearts is a beautifully drawn game, whose story is based loosely on events from WWI. In theory its a great idea but somehow the game feels like something a child would play in elementary school as a teaching program. Everything about this game is juvenile, its music (reminiscent of early learning cartoons), its controls and puzzles (are reminiscent of ABCmouse.com). It is a fantastic game for five year olds but simply will not appeal very long to anyone else. The game overall is solid, no major problems whatsoever but it is just too child-like for me personally. I gave it a six because it is a beautiful game, but it is way too simplistic in its execution. Expand
  3. Jul 1, 2014
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a very interesting concept for a game. A puzzle Adventure set in the midst of World War One. While there are parts of this game that do a good job and reminding us of the price the conflict had on everyone, it's too often sandwiched between an overly cartoonish representation of war, obtuse puzzle design, and action segments that would make even Call ofValiant Hearts: The Great War is a very interesting concept for a game. A puzzle Adventure set in the midst of World War One. While there are parts of this game that do a good job and reminding us of the price the conflict had on everyone, it's too often sandwiched between an overly cartoonish representation of war, obtuse puzzle design, and action segments that would make even Call of Duty players scratch their heads at the lack of realism. I can only recommend this if you're a history buff or a fan of old adventure games. Expand
  4. Aug 11, 2014
    Beautiful story. Incredible graphics. Tricky puzzles. Loved every minute. I liked the fact there were multiple story lines, as well as a variety of gameplay.
  5. Jan 5, 2015
    A side scrolling game set during WWI where for the most part you are figuring out puzzles that involve manipulating the environment to move progress. The gameplay is tempered with a few "action" scenes that are largely just artfully dodging bombs and gunfire. The gameplay is just ok. The puzzles are simple but if you do get stuck you'll get hints. I wouldn't describe the game as viscerallyA side scrolling game set during WWI where for the most part you are figuring out puzzles that involve manipulating the environment to move progress. The gameplay is tempered with a few "action" scenes that are largely just artfully dodging bombs and gunfire. The gameplay is just ok. The puzzles are simple but if you do get stuck you'll get hints. I wouldn't describe the game as viscerally fun and the puzzles don't deliver the satisfaction that make puzzles good gameplay. What the game does do, and does it brilliantly, is creating atmosphere. The music is beautiful and well placed, the graphics are cute, the characters communicate through mumbles and while that may not sound like much it is very endearing. The story it tells and the minimalist way it tells it is by far the reason to play the game. Expand
  6. Jul 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If there is someone reading this and is thinking of getting the game, or deciding on other reviews please, please don't let anyone here decide your fate. Cause you could miss your chance at getting a game that will change your life.

I just recently completed this game and wow. That was sure an emotional roller coaster. When I saw the E3 trailer a month ago. I wasn't really sure what to think of it, but after watching a let's play a couple days ago made me realize that I needed this game in my life or maybe I just wanted it. I knew my sister would finally be interested in a game again, so I probably bought it so she could watch me play.
    Sure there were parts in the game where I was beyond confused, I mean not even the hints were helping me and at times I had to let my sister take the controller because I was stuck, but unlike some games I didn't give up. I got through it, I loved playing all the characters from Emile to Karl. From sneaking pass soldiers to the puzzles and saving people's lives I loved this game. I felt like I was there in war, only with puzzles to combat. I don't understand some of these negatives or why people think this is a children's game.
    There was one part in the story where you had to hide from German bullets, HIDE behind THE PILES OF DEAD SOLDIERS and you watch your comrades fall. That's not child friendly guys. I dislike all you folks out there who base the art style of the game as childish. Look Family Guy is a animated, but not for kids right? So much like anime, of course Pokemon is for meant for kids, but things like hentai isn't for kids. So just because its drawn all cartoon-y don't assume its child-friendly. I think that if this had battlefield graphics it wouldn't be so great as it is, in fact it would look down right stupid because its not meant to have good graphics. Its the story, the characters and the music. But mainly the story.
    This game moved me, before I thought WWI was just some war back in the past, history didn't much matter to me, but now I see that this war was really something that happened and reading all those facts in the game and collectibles you can get made me realize. Even the letters that were probably just made up to look like they were actual war letters still moved me. The game may cost 15 dollars and been short, but I think it was worth it.
    It was indeed a wild emotional roller coaster and if you can't see how good a game this is...if you can't look past the graphics anything else taking away from the game then sir, you're blind. You're just as foolish as the commander who sent his troops to their demise because he couldn't let go of not being able to win.

The end made me cry, and I'm sure it made many who've played or watched it been played cry. I don't usually admit that I've cried from the ending of a game, because its just pixels right? This really happened. World War I was a real thing, sure these characters probably didn't exist, but the hardships of the war were a real thing. In war some will survive...some will not.
    The game starts out slow and story is important over all else, so if this isn't your kind of game...if your a fast paced war action-y fps guy/gal...move on, but you will have missed a great game.

Never forget
    To those who fell
    They'll all be remembered.
  7. Sep 3, 2014
    This game is amazing. The art, the music... all of it. Solid from top to bottom. You actually might learn something along the way too. I can't say enough good things about this game. Buy it.
  8. Jun 30, 2015
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War is an incredible and unforgettable experience. No game or movie has ever depicted friendship in war as carefully as this has. With satisfying (but not too hard) puzzles and a brilliantly told narrative with one of the most emotionally powerful endings of all time, this remains one of the greatest games of 2014. I only wish it lasted a little longer.
  9. Dec 29, 2014
    I never thought I would buy this game on the PS3 port since I'm a PC ****

When I played this, I never thought that this year is the centennial year of World War 1, but then again, it reminded me. I was intrigued of this because of the story and the theme, which is one of my favourites, war and the effects of war on people and especially these kinds of games needed to be
    I never thought I would buy this game on the PS3 port since I'm a PC ****

I was intrigued of this because of the story and the theme, which is one of my favourites, war and the effects of war on people and especially these kinds of games needed to be well-researched before publishing it. I'm actually impressed by the amount of research they had put into this game because even the tiniest details offers to tell a story about what happened during war.

Overall, I wasn't a fan of the graphics but the story was just amazing. I love how it shifts to 4 different players as it adds variety to the game. The level design were simple but interesting. However, this game is meant to be played by younger kids and was meant to be educational and I think it does that pretty well combined with the amount of facts in the game. The only frustrating parts I found in this game is Anna's. I just really hate pressing buttons on a rhythm in order to finish the said parts.
  10. Apr 6, 2015
    Soldats Inconnus : Mémoires de la Grande Guerre est un émouvant jeu vidéo d'énigme/bande dessinée interactive inspiré par la grande guerre de 1914 - 1918 celle que l'on a surnommé la der des der.
    C'est développé par un studio français s'il vous plait je tiens à le souligner : Ubisoft Montpellier allez cocorico lol.
    Nos protagonistes se retrouvent embarqués malgré eux dans ce terrible
    Nos protagonistes se retrouvent embarqués malgré eux dans ce terrible conflit mais l'espoir va renaitre à force courage et de dévouement tout au long de l'aventure.
    Dés le début, on sent tout de suite un jeu crée par une équipe de passionnés et enrichie par les bases de données d’Apocalypse la 1re Guerre mondiale cela donne vraiment un jeu très convaincant.
    En effet tout au long de vos pérégrinations vous découvrirez les lieux et faits marquants de la grande guerre mais également pour les plus curieux d'entre vous des notes, objets ou anecdotes viendront enrichir vos connaissances.
    Bref foncez acheter le jeu, il vaut vraiment le coup aussi bien pour sa direction artistique façon bande dessinée que pour ses personnages attachants, émouvants et drôles.
    Tout simplement le meilleur jeu d'Ubisoft en 2014 !! =)
  11. Jul 28, 2015
    If you are looking for a well written adventure game, complete with fun puzzles and even a bit of a history lesson to boot, then look no further than Valiant Hearts: The Great War.

1. Edge Magazine
    Aug 20, 2014
    Boss fights aside, Ubosoft's consideration for its subject matter throughout is striking. [Sept 2014, p.104]
  2. Jul 3, 2014
    A truly engaging story told in a unique visual style... there's really not much wrong with Valiant Hearts, even if its replay value isn't all that valiant.
  3. Jun 25, 2014
    Individual elements of the game are superb, but the juxtaposition of a grim war and puzzles and platforms just doesn’t quite work, and the game as a whole cannot live up to the emotional heft and gameplay of the last twenty minutes.