• Publisher: Sega
  • Also On: PC
8.7

1. SAMA
    Nov 14, 2009
    This is one game I keep coming back to for more. Charming story, lovable characters (even the secondary ones, such as Jane and Walter), and overall tragically beautiful setup. I'd think that everybody who had any intention of getting it would have done so by now, but if you haven't and you have a PS3, you'd do well to get it.
  2. DanielA
    Nov 8, 2009
    A very good designed game. Lots of game time and fun gameing experiance!
  3. AndrewC.
    Nov 13, 2008
    The last game I gave a 10 was a mistake. I reviewed it too early, in the first excitement of a new game, and it didn't hold up to my expectations. So I waited on this one, clocking around 40 hours of gameplay (with a few spent away from the TV taking care of kids), and now I can give this one a 10 in (almost) good conscience. A 9.5 or 9.6 is closer. There are minor annoyances, which The last game I gave a 10 was a mistake. I reviewed it too early, in the first excitement of a new game, and it didn't hold up to my expectations. So I waited on this one, clocking around 40 hours of gameplay (with a few spent away from the TV taking care of kids), and now I can give this one a 10 in (almost) good conscience. A 9.5 or 9.6 is closer. There are minor annoyances, which the professional reviewers have documented well, but they don't bother me much and are easy to work around if you accept that this IS a strategy RPG and so is operating according to (somewhat arbitrary) rules. The story has been described as "sappy," but I admit, the story has engaged me enough that I've thought "That's sweet" on multiple occasions, and "That sucks! You can't do that!" on one in particular. Combat has kept me more engaged and excited than any SRPG I've played, and I go out of my way to get a medic to my downed soldiers--I can't stand leaving them there. One battle in particular had me thinking, "This is too easy," only to have me scrambling to avoid being wiped out the next turn. Overall, one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had. Expand
  4. WayneL.
    Dec 3, 2008
    I' am a harsh voter when it comes to rating games. So far the only other 10 I would give out is MGS4. Many reviewers can explain this with better words then I, but don't be mistaken this is a game you have to be moronic to miss. Gamplay - 10 I had no clue about this game until i played the early release of the demo from qore. When i first saw the initial opening scenes i thought I' am a harsh voter when it comes to rating games. So far the only other 10 I would give out is MGS4. Many reviewers can explain this with better words then I, but don't be mistaken this is a game you have to be moronic to miss. Gamplay - 10 I had no clue about this game until i played the early release of the demo from qore. When i first saw the initial opening scenes i thought it was a really nice art style (well get more into that later) however I didn't think it would be good for playing. I couldn't be more wrong. Gameplay has the hugest step i have seen in the SPRG genre. You look up from a top down view much like a risk board, however when selecting your character it zooms in like google maps. When you control you character is the most refreshing thing. It controls like a third person shooter, however your movement it limited by action points. When your movement bar depletes or when you move your character where you want them you can choose to attack or another action like healing. If you attack you actually control where you shoot and go into a fps mode or reticules appear depending on the character class. Story - 10 While i don't want to ruin the story lets just say it's really wonderful. You play as a small country in between 2 warring nations and one of the nations wants your land for your massive amount of resources, then lets just say snowball effect. Your "grunts" are not just standard rent a cops as each one of them has an attitude. All 100 of them, which makes you want to protect them even more. Sound - 8 For JRPGS voice acting has always been a probem unless your game pertains the name final fantasy. While there still may be some issues and funky voices it is much much better then its hundreds of other JRPGS. The music is good but reused often. Graphics - 9 While the graphics are not ground breaking they are amazing in its artistic style. Everything is done as if water colored and on a canvas. The only problem i have is no characters have lips. Not a huge problem just something you notice after a while. Replay Value - 10 The main quest offers around 40 hours of gameplay if you rush through every cutscene. As said before wonderful story. Not only this there are sidequests to partake and you can redo battles to try and get a better score. Also DLC content is coming where you can play on the imperial side soon. Overall - 10 If you average it all out....it doesn't come to 10 however the gameplay is so wonderful that it sort of overpowers other factors in the game. Basicly if i could give it more then a 10 in this area I would. Expand
  5. Aug 17, 2010
    A stratagy RPG with a new updated combat system that works amazingly well... SIGHN ME UP!!! wow SEGA is back to making good games again House of the dead 4 , MadWorld and now this . if you are stratagy RPG fan this is a must buy . this is the closest thing it seems we are gona get to a new shining force game that doesnt suck from sega (shining force 1-3 amazing shinign force ex and neoA stratagy RPG with a new updated combat system that works amazingly well... SIGHN ME UP!!! wow SEGA is back to making good games again House of the dead 4 , MadWorld and now this . if you are stratagy RPG fan this is a must buy . this is the closest thing it seems we are gona get to a new shining force game that doesnt suck from sega (shining force 1-3 amazing shinign force ex and neo HORRID!) this is what id want a updated SRPG to look like .im not a huge fan of cell shaded graphice but if you are gona make a anime style SRPG then the graphics fit perfectly . the EXP and LVL up system wroks perfectly so you never have to worry about charicters getting to far ahead of others with its new exp distrabution set up . you decide who gets what exp . the story takes about 20-30 hours to complete depending on if you do every thing or just try to fly through the game which meets my standers for gameplay time to beat. i only wish they added trophys to this because this is the kinda game id want to 100% . the story is very entertaining the voice acting is pretty good if you like anime style voice acting which i do. about the only bad thing isn the enimy AI now it has a few moments where it just does really stupid things almost like its trying to give you the win . i dont know if this was a attempt at sega to try to make the game more accesable to newer gamers or they just screwed up. a diffuculty system woulda been nice for more VET gamers of this style of game . other then that i love every thing els about this game . Stratagy RPG's are a rare game to get released and to see this game hit the ps3 from sega makes me smile. i can only hope this pushed sega to make a new shining force game. Expand
  6. hanzzN
    Oct 25, 2009
    Great SRPG game. Very good graphics style, and very nice soundtrack. And gameplay is very good. Must have Ps3 game.
  7. JamesT.
    Nov 16, 2008
    This game is fantastic. An outstanding blend of strategic thinking, 3rd Person Action, Role Playing, and storytelling. The characters are so engaging that you can't help but fall in love with them as they struggle to defend their country. The graphics are innovative and beautiful, and the music is one of the best soundtracks I've heard since Chronotrigger!! Seriously, if you This game is fantastic. An outstanding blend of strategic thinking, 3rd Person Action, Role Playing, and storytelling. The characters are so engaging that you can't help but fall in love with them as they struggle to defend their country. The graphics are innovative and beautiful, and the music is one of the best soundtracks I've heard since Chronotrigger!! Seriously, if you have a PS3 get this game immediately, and if you don't have a PS3, then this game is the reason to buy one. Expand
  8. Kelly
    Dec 14, 2008
    The best game I've played all year. They've managed to blend real-time and turn-based action, a nice story, delightful characters and a fanstic imagining of World War 2 into the most engaging game I've played in ages. Only the most heartless of gamers could play through Valkyria Chronicles and not get attached to their squad. Little character traits, story details and The best game I've played all year. They've managed to blend real-time and turn-based action, a nice story, delightful characters and a fanstic imagining of World War 2 into the most engaging game I've played in ages. Only the most heartless of gamers could play through Valkyria Chronicles and not get attached to their squad. Little character traits, story details and moments of heroism will make you care when a squad member is permanently killed, assuming you have any empathy at all. Not many games can manage that feat and this one does it with a charming style that really sets it apart from the current hyperrealistic brown and grey world of one-dimensional characters that make up so many current games. Play the demo, if that doesn't convince you, nothing can. Expand
  9. michaelk
    Oct 21, 2009
    this is not only one of my favourite games on the ps3 but one of my favourite games of all time everything from the slick presantation and beautiful art style to the deap story and charactures is fantastic the stratagy needed to compleat a mission with an a rank is solid and you really need to learn how to use each class to its full advantage this is an amazing turn based rpg and is this is not only one of my favourite games on the ps3 but one of my favourite games of all time everything from the slick presantation and beautiful art style to the deap story and charactures is fantastic the stratagy needed to compleat a mission with an a rank is solid and you really need to learn how to use each class to its full advantage this is an amazing turn based rpg and is already developing a cult status if u haven't played it already than jump in for one of the best games to come out of japan in ages Expand
  10. RyanH.
    Nov 26, 2008
    Amazing story, amazing graphics, and an innovative and challenging battle system - I had impossibly high expectations for this game, and Sega met them - i'm hoping that they get more involved in making new RPGs... maybe we can get a new Skies of Arcadia done in this graphic style?
  11. Oct 26, 2010
    My favorite game since Persona 3, this game is unbelievable. An extraordinary and revolutionary battle system combined with an absolutely beautiful story, this game is not to be missed by any JRPG fan at all.
  12. Dec 23, 2011
    Sega has, historically, made some of the best lighthearted JRPGs. While growing up I was a huge fan of the Phantasy Star series of games, and have always lamented the fact that that specific portion of the genre seems to have disappeared after the creation of PS IV.

This game is, by my estimation, the closest thing to a true SMS/Genesis Phantasy Star game that we're going to get in this console generation, in the best way possible. This game tells the tale of a group of normal folks, thrust into a world conflict, and their struggle to overcome an invasion of their peaceful country. It is well written, the combat is well paced, and overall it is one of the best games I've played on PS3. After completing it the first time I started it over again, with the new game + option, and went through the effort of obtaining all of the hidden weapons, and companions possible. When you add in the DLC and all of the optional missions and challenges this game can easily occupy you for a few months. All in all it is an amazing effort from the Sega team, and is personally one of my favorite PS3 games. It's just a shame that the sequels were all PSP games, aimed at a less mature audience.
  13. Mar 16, 2012
    Beautifully innovative game gives players something to keep coming back to. The battle system is something reminiscent of tabletop roleplaying games like Warhammer 40k, but not over-complicated. Challenging and engaging, this game has it all! Even if anime-style graphics are a turn-off, I'd encourage anyone to at least rent this game, or play the demo. This game is, if nothing else, ONE OF A KIND!
  14. TuesdayS
    Apr 6, 2009
    Excellent game to merge together the JRPG style with strategic combat. It took me hours and hours to beat some of the maps, and I LOVE when any game is difficult enough to make me exercise my brain, but still achievable. The art style is favored by myself (and I LOVE the anime that just recently began airing in Japan). This game will be a crown jewel on my shelf for years to come.
  15. AndyM.
    Jul 3, 2009
    Very fast paced SRPG, and has a brilliant storyline. A definite must have for any RPG fan on the PS3. Would have given this game a 10 but I did notice some inconsistent game mechanics, other than that, this game is flawless.
  16. GiampaoloC.
    Jan 2, 2009
    Valkyria Chronicles is the game I've been waiting since Final Fantasy Tactics. It manages to change the usual sRPG gameplay in an innovative and clever way, creating an unique and definitely satisfying game experience. Add to this an incredible graphic quality, an intriguing story and a few good characters and you get a masterpiece. The only thing that prevented this game from Valkyria Chronicles is the game I've been waiting since Final Fantasy Tactics. It manages to change the usual sRPG gameplay in an innovative and clever way, creating an unique and definitely satisfying game experience. Add to this an incredible graphic quality, an intriguing story and a few good characters and you get a masterpiece. The only thing that prevented this game from getting a 10 is the not-so-perfect AI. But still, I would highly recommend this game to any RPG fan out there. Expand
  17. Komino
    Jan 8, 2009
    An excellently presented strategy game that has a genuinely interesting and touching story that is enhanced buy the cell shaded / watercolour look of the graphics. The game is very well paced, opening up it's options and advanced techniques gradually over the course of the game. Also worth mentioning is the overall length of the experience. I finished the game clocking up 55 hours of An excellently presented strategy game that has a genuinely interesting and touching story that is enhanced buy the cell shaded / watercolour look of the graphics. The game is very well paced, opening up it's options and advanced techniques gradually over the course of the game. Also worth mentioning is the overall length of the experience. I finished the game clocking up 55 hours of gameplay, which was unexpected. I would say that the only downside is that the enemy AI can feel a little scripted, but it doesn't take away from the overall experience. It's definitely worth a purchase. Expand
  18. JohnMartin
    Nov 10, 2008
    This is old school SEGA goodness wrapped up in Next gen technology. The SRPG mechanics underlying the game are brilliant, this is one of the most satisfying SRPGs I've ever played (up there with the Disgaea series). The interplay between the classes, giving real value to just spotting your enemies vs. sending in your biggest gun and shooting, the importance of using the terrain, itsThis is old school SEGA goodness wrapped up in Next gen technology. The SRPG mechanics underlying the game are brilliant, this is one of the most satisfying SRPGs I've ever played (up there with the Disgaea series). The interplay between the classes, giving real value to just spotting your enemies vs. sending in your biggest gun and shooting, the importance of using the terrain, its all a very thorough wargame.

And on top of that, the cast of characters is truly charming. Your team just bleeds likeable personality all over the place! You will come to care for your favorites very much, and stress over sending them into harms way. The added tension of being able to permanently lose characters if they get incapacitated and are not rescued by a medic makes every turn feel meaningful.

The story is somewhat over the top, but engrossing. Its hard not to feel for the plight of these Gallerian soldiers torn from their peaceful life and thrown into war.

The only real thorn I found in this wonderful game was the mascot which I felt was totally unnecessary and merely got in the way of the otherwise moving interactions between the main characters (why must all these games stick a stupidly cutesy mascot in there? The only ones that ever worked were prinnies, because you can blow them up :) ).

This game will be a classic, remembered in fond tones by the RPG veterans of tomorrow, as they tell the newbie masses how great gaming used to be 'back in the day'. The only reasons not to buy this would be: i) not into RPGs/SRPGs, ii) hate the anime aesthetic, iii) can't overlook one stupidly cutesy mascot.

This is really brilliant stuff!
  19. PhilLarson
    Nov 12, 2008
    This is one of the most original, well-thought out games this generation. The combination of the brilliant game mechanics and the excellent storyline tell a lot about how much work Sega has put into this. They even used throwbacks to Skies of Arcadia, which is another one of my favourite games.

Baseline is, buy this game.
    Nov 4, 2008
    Great game for anyone that loves strategy, anime, turnbased gameplay and a fantastic story! The only downside is that skirmish mode levels dont have random enemy placement and the AI seems kind of scripted. This would definatly have given this game even more replayabiliy.
  21. MartinH.
    Nov 5, 2008
    This is without a doubt the best spin on the tactical RPG genre i've played in the last 10 years, since Dragon Force back on the SEGA Saturn. Recommended highly to fans of the Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre series'.
  22. Z9000
    Dec 4, 2008
    This game has nothing to do with Ring of Red or Spectrum Warriors... If there is any game out there that this one draws influence from, it's Jagged Alliance, which just shipped it's new itteration called Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge (Shipped yesterday). This game kept me glued to the TV for 5 days, and even after finishing it, haunts me to go play it some more (After you finish This game has nothing to do with Ring of Red or Spectrum Warriors... If there is any game out there that this one draws influence from, it's Jagged Alliance, which just shipped it's new itteration called Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge (Shipped yesterday). This game kept me glued to the TV for 5 days, and even after finishing it, haunts me to go play it some more (After you finish the game, it makes a Clear! save game and you keep going with your stats and gear aquired). I am over 40 years old, and for any game to woo me with game play in this day and age, is saying a hell of a lot. If you can get over the obligitory cutsey flying pig, this game is pure win. Strategy turn based on the console done right. The only improvement I would make would be to randomize troop placements on the skirmish maps so they get a new face every go through. Vyse from Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast) is playable character as well. If you are looking for rich, deep, replayable turn based strategy with some rpg elements and unique soldier back story/personalities, this game is a must buy. Expand
  23. HaroldJ.
    Dec 5, 2008
    Real immersive gameplay, involving at once strategy on the field, gripping action, characters and weapons management, and long and epic battles. Story is a bit cliched, but battles are numerous and optional skirmishes a great way to develop the story and characters. Lot of replay value, with a new game + option, different difficulty modes, and rankings to improve. Unfortunately, no trophy Real immersive gameplay, involving at once strategy on the field, gripping action, characters and weapons management, and long and epic battles. Story is a bit cliched, but battles are numerous and optional skirmishes a great way to develop the story and characters. Lot of replay value, with a new game + option, different difficulty modes, and rankings to improve. Unfortunately, no trophy support, no multiplayer either (online skirmishes would have been fun), and the story prevent it to be an absolute blast. Anyway, gameplay wise it is a masterpiece, engaging and rich, supported by great and unique visuals. A really worthy exclusive to the PS3 catalogue. Expand
  24. AP
    Jan 18, 2009
    This game is awesome. I'm so sad i didn't get it when it came out. Impressive Presentation & Truly quite Addictive. Upgrading and replaying skirmishes to upgrade my soldiers and tank is a really neat and great way for those who are new to S/Rpgs, by letting you keep the EXP and Credits when you replay and practice skirmishes. Definitely My favourite S/Rpg to date & one of my topThis game is awesome. I'm so sad i didn't get it when it came out. Impressive Presentation & Truly quite Addictive. Upgrading and replaying skirmishes to upgrade my soldiers and tank is a really neat and great way for those who are new to S/Rpgs, by letting you keep the EXP and Credits when you replay and practice skirmishes. Definitely My favourite S/Rpg to date & one of my top 5 ps3 games. Expand
  25. JPCorp
    Feb 14, 2009
    Simply the best game I played in 2008. It's unique, and definitely not your average shooter/gore action game. It doesn't rely on violence to deliver the meaning of fun to the players. As a lot of people say, if you have PS3, have a slight tendency to either strategy or RPG games, and don't have Valkyria, you have done yourself a disservice.
  26. VamsiV
    Mar 18, 2009
    The game presents itself well. It has unique game play, an interesting storyline, and beautiful graphics. However, it fails to maintain the tension in the story by breaking up each scene into tiny fragments which make it hard to follow the story. Also, unlike most Action games, this relies on its rare game play and story to keep the user interested. With all things considered, Sega did an The game presents itself well. It has unique game play, an interesting storyline, and beautiful graphics. However, it fails to maintain the tension in the story by breaking up each scene into tiny fragments which make it hard to follow the story. Also, unlike most Action games, this relies on its rare game play and story to keep the user interested. With all things considered, Sega did an excellent job. Expand
  27. Piskin100
    Aug 22, 2009
    Innovative and deep. One of the best reasons to own a PS3.
  28. Tom
    Nov 22, 2008
    Best game released this year, maybe with exception of MGS4, though Id still prefer this one. Graphics and music are gorgeous, story is well written, characters are just lovely, gameplay feels great and also very fresh and th whole thing is very well polished. With about 40 hrs of gameplay, you just cant go wrong with this one.
  29. MeroAlhammadi
    Oct 26, 2008
    I Played this game it is really awesome. Its kind of an RPG, action and FPS game all in one. It really puts you in the command position and you take responsibility of every soldier in the battle field. The different classes of soldiers and the weapons each can carry add more depth to the game and makes each soul valuable for your success.
  30. StaticN
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hands down fantastic title. Not once did I feel bored or not challenged enough. Once you get the handle on the mechanics the game is a rewarding experience as you try to solve problems and maneuver to make sure you always have the highest possibility for success.

From beginning to end this has really been one of the best games I have played in this generation,
  31. JoeT
    Sep 11, 2009
    Simply outstanding in every way top 5 game all time for me.. Epic
  32. TianyuW.
    Nov 25, 2008
    This is one of the most innovative sRPG since Final Fantasy Tactics. Final Fantasy Tactics set the mile stone for sRPG for the fact that it brought this niche genre to the general public in a very good way. Now 10 years later, Valkyria Chronicles revolutionized this genre in its visuals (best of sRPG, and made the big leap forward from 2D/3D into HD graphics), and brought a long due This is one of the most innovative sRPG since Final Fantasy Tactics. Final Fantasy Tactics set the mile stone for sRPG for the fact that it brought this niche genre to the general public in a very good way. Now 10 years later, Valkyria Chronicles revolutionized this genre in its visuals (best of sRPG, and made the big leap forward from 2D/3D into HD graphics), and brought a long due update to sRPG monotonous and draconian battle mechanics. Expand
  33. Aug 20, 2010
    The most innovative SRPG I've played...Let's just say that if you are a fan of the genre, this is the PS3's killer app that you can't get anywhere else.
  34. Aug 23, 2010
    I just started playing this game few weeks ago and right now i'm in chapter 17.Almost the end i guess,damn i must say this is 1 of the best RPG i have ever played.If you like Strategy and RPG element.Go for this without a doubt.The graphics is unique,the game is hard (not so hard if you know how to play properly and use your brain).Although they are not trophies and online play.The gameI just started playing this game few weeks ago and right now i'm in chapter 17.Almost the end i guess,damn i must say this is 1 of the best RPG i have ever played.If you like Strategy and RPG element.Go for this without a doubt.The graphics is unique,the game is hard (not so hard if you know how to play properly and use your brain).Although they are not trophies and online play.The game itself can drag you for more then 25-30hours !!!!!!! Expand
  35. Oct 7, 2010
    While it's not perfect Valkyria Chronicles is certainly nothing less then a fantastic game. The excellent story is very character focused which draws you into the world and creates attachment to and empathy for the main cast. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous (especially if your fond of anime/manga) and the score is enjoyable as well. The combat looks complicated at first but is easy toWhile it's not perfect Valkyria Chronicles is certainly nothing less then a fantastic game. The excellent story is very character focused which draws you into the world and creates attachment to and empathy for the main cast. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous (especially if your fond of anime/manga) and the score is enjoyable as well. The combat looks complicated at first but is easy to learn and leads to great battle sequences. There are some minor camera issues when your in tight quarters, and an element of chance comes into play during combat that can be frustrating at times but these minor faults are nothing considering the quality of every aspect of this game. Expand
  36. Oct 25, 2010
    What a wonderful game! How I wish more games came out that were so smart and innovative... A little turn based RPG using these ideas would make me really happy!
  37. Oct 26, 2010
    Without question, my favorite PS3 title ever. All turn-based tactical RPGs should look to this game as the next-gen model. In fact, as I'm writing this review two years after the game's release, I wonder why I have yet to see a single copycat. The only way I could love this game more would be if they were to take the same combat system and use it in a fantasy setting. But it's not justWithout question, my favorite PS3 title ever. All turn-based tactical RPGs should look to this game as the next-gen model. In fact, as I'm writing this review two years after the game's release, I wonder why I have yet to see a single copycat. The only way I could love this game more would be if they were to take the same combat system and use it in a fantasy setting. But it's not just the combat I love -- the characters are realistic and lovable (or hate-able), and the story is absolutely brilliant. There's a song in the middle that makes me bawl my eyes out every time. Everyone should play this game! Expand
  38. Dec 8, 2011
    Missed this game when it came out originally but sure am glad I found it. Very fun and very well made. Wish more games could surprise me like this one.
  39. Feb 14, 2012
    This is by far my favorite original game (meaning: no sequel) for the Playstation 3. Everything about this game is adorable, the characters are interesting and loveable, the setting is gorgeous and unique, storyline highly immersing and beautifully written. This game is considered an RPG by many, I would consider it a tactical Action Adventure with some RPG elements such as characterThis is by far my favorite original game (meaning: no sequel) for the Playstation 3. Everything about this game is adorable, the characters are interesting and loveable, the setting is gorgeous and unique, storyline highly immersing and beautifully written. This game is considered an RPG by many, I would consider it a tactical Action Adventure with some RPG elements such as character classes and development of which. I have not seen another PS3 game (except MGS4) with such a high density in its atmosphere. You control a group of soldiers with different classes, such as scouts, snipers and shocktroopers that you can place freely in the battles that take place throughout the game. What starts out as a mission to defend their hometown, ends as a journey to save a whole continent. I have yet to play another PS3 game whose characters I loved more or whose gameplay and atmosphere had me more immersed. Expand
  40. Feb 7, 2013
    In an era of Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, or shooters being called Role Playing Games, Tactical RPG's from Japan look like if they were made for people of the 90's. Besides all the world against SEGA WOW, Valkyria Chronicles stands alone, as the best Tactical Role Playing Game I have ever played. With memorable characters, beautiful art style, epic story and amazing music, ValkyriaIn an era of Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, or shooters being called Role Playing Games, Tactical RPG's from Japan look like if they were made for people of the 90's. Besides all the world against SEGA WOW, Valkyria Chronicles stands alone, as the best Tactical Role Playing Game I have ever played. With memorable characters, beautiful art style, epic story and amazing music, Valkyria Chronicles stands as the best RPG of the current generation, the one known for its Shooters. "Tactical Adventure Third Person Shooter Role Playing Game", that's how we can call it. Yes, that intense this game is. Valkyria Chronicles showoffs of what it is done, and it is done of poor quality. Extracting great elements from RPGs, as well as amazing controls for battle, the game itself marks the revival of the JRPG's in general, and is clearly one of the most revolutionaries of the history. From Bruhl to Fouzen and Randgriz to Barious, the game tells us the story of a squad of the Gallian's Liberation Front, in their struggle to save the beloved country from the invader Empire, who, with their Emperor Maximillian, is seeking for the lance and power of an amcient civilization known as the Valkyria. The game is not predictable, I can ensure that, as the story twists are real unexpected. In brief, Valkyria Chronicles is the best RPG of the current generation. Just a few flaws on the moving units, as well as the issues with the Third Person perspective are remarkable, but beyond that, the game is fully enjoyable and likeable. Valkyria Chronicles, is by far, the best PlayStation 3 exclusive title, and a must-have game on the valuable collection of this system. Expand
  41. Nov 23, 2013
    Okay so my only major gripes with this game (it won't affect score) is that they allow you to enable to original japanese audio....but its unplayable this way. That is because they made it into an english version, and this is a heavily text based game. Is the english text a good translation of the Japanese dub? NO! Even if you can understand japanese, and read english this game is stillOkay so my only major gripes with this game (it won't affect score) is that they allow you to enable to original japanese audio....but its unplayable this way. That is because they made it into an english version, and this is a heavily text based game. Is the english text a good translation of the Japanese dub? NO! Even if you can understand japanese, and read english this game is still unplayable with jap dub. I mean it was nice that they included it, but if the english text translation is totally different from what they are saying there is no point. Enough said, the game has to be played in english. This is disappointing to me since I watched the anime in jap dub and really loved the character voices. That said, the english translation is great for what it is. With the exception of the fact that they now pronounce Alicia as Alysha....its top quality if you don't deal in foreign languages. They keep the spelling as Alicia and pronounce it as Alysha in the english...which doesn't make sense. Its pronounced Alicia in the jap dub....they changed it to americanize the damn thing which was stupid idea imo. The english nicknames they decided to use are also kind of lame. None of this is affecting my review okay....its a solid 9/10. It does something that many other games have failed at, it makes a rts work on a console.

First thing upon playing this game is, this isn't a real world simulator. It does what it does to work. It has its own gameplay rules. Its like a board game, you need to understand how things work. There isn't this intuitive sense of things where you can just run in and understand everything without practice and reading the rules. The dlc...her blue flame I would definitely pick up. I kind of wish they offered it all as a 10$ bundle. I've only gone through about half the dlc....the very hard mode is just plain suicidal. So if you really want a challenge it delivers. One of the dlc, enter the edy detachment is terribly short...which is disappointing given its cost. So its pick and choose if you want best value with the dlc.

I suggest reading the instruction manual. It's very important that you know that shock troopers have a 30 degree interception fire line of sight. in comparison scouts have a 50 degree line. So your shock troops isn't going to shoot at an enemy that is running toward it, unless it is within that 30 degree area it is facing. Its really important your troops are facing the right direction when you end your turn. Killing enemy troops on the enemy's turn is very important in the game. Snipers and lancers don't have intercepting fire...aka they won't return fire on approaching enemies. The game has a steep kind of learning curve. It isn't trying to be realistic, its trying to work as an rts on a console...and it works wonderfully.

So why not a 10? Cause the enemy ai isn't exactly stellar. I've yet to see an enemy engineer do any engineer work. Also there's no online component which is disappointing. Also no trophy component which....I don't get why they didn't. Adding trophies is good advertising if nothing else.

Lot of love and other stuff here. I played through the campaign twice thus far and its just as fun the second time around. I wish there was more content at the end of it though. The campaign only has 1 difficulty. Some of the missions are insanely difficult/infuriating your first time through, others not so much. Overall its not the most consistent difficulty curve but it offers the right level of challenge. A great game that you should play if you own a ps3. I wish the sequels would get ported to the ps3.
  42. Sep 21, 2014
    10/10 for me, but it certainly is a targeted audience game.
    Things I liked about the game (and why you may not) -
    Long sweeping story-line, there is tons of character development and relationship building throughout the game. If you're the kind of person that enjoys "oh hey I just met you now we're in love forever so can we get on with the game-play?" story-lines this isn't for you.
    10/10 for me, but it certainly is a targeted audience game.
    Things I liked about the game (and why you may not) -

Difficulty - not terribly unforgiving as a strategy game, but probably one of the more difficult ones I've seen in the united states. Don't enter this game unprepared or expecting to be able to brute force / rush your way through any of the levels. Be aware that the pace is made for those who like strategy games, not the traditional warfare (ex. cod) type of game-play, so this game may seem very slow paced to new players to the field.

Disadvantage (part of difficulty) - Unlike most games you'll see in america where you're a god and the enemy is laughable all throughout the game, most of the time the enemies units in this game have superior abilities, maneuverability, and firepower compared to your unites. This means you actually have to plan out and outsmart the AI in order to beat the game.

Team Design - You can change the balance of units in your team so that you can appropriately plan for the mission. This means that even with the best strategy in the battle, you may not have a chance without bringing the right type of units. The types of units available range from scouts, to anti-tank, to snipers and all have different abilities and controls.

Overall the game-play, story-line, and difficulty level came together to make a spectacular game. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have.
  43. Mar 27, 2015
    Wonderfully designed game combining turn-based strategy and RPG set in a WWII-ish world. Deep gameplay, interesting story, and a memorable game to the end.
  44. May 19, 2012
    One of the best games I've ever played!
    Great story, it is an anime-game (Game came first) and a very well working combination of RTS-RPG.
    If you don't like RTS & RPG don't play this game
  45. Oct 10, 2011
    After getting a brand new PS3, this game was on my hunting list for must own PS3 games since I have played it before. Damn, it is still good as I remember it. Though I do have a problem with its anime like storytelling, the story itself is engaging enough and the characters, though completely anime cliche ridden, are very likable. Finishing up with the story of the game, the gameplayAfter getting a brand new PS3, this game was on my hunting list for must own PS3 games since I have played it before. Damn, it is still good as I remember it. Though I do have a problem with its anime like storytelling, the story itself is engaging enough and the characters, though completely anime cliche ridden, are very likable. Finishing up with the story of the game, the gameplay itself is the main reason why this game is great. The easy to learn but hard to master strategy based RPG gameplay is just so intense and so enjoyable to play. There are many variables and so many options on how to use your squad to win a battle. This is one of the best games I have played on the PS3 by a mile and if you love strategy and RPG, get it. Expand
  46. Mar 25, 2011
    The main cast of characters are a memorable group with unique personalities and a decent amount of development. The supporting cast is large and varied and each one has a reasonable amount of backstory to them too. Moreover the group as a whole becomes really memorable, as you pick and choose characters that you like and that work well together thanks to the great potential system, theyThe main cast of characters are a memorable group with unique personalities and a decent amount of development. The supporting cast is large and varied and each one has a reasonable amount of backstory to them too. Moreover the group as a whole becomes really memorable, as you pick and choose characters that you like and that work well together thanks to the great potential system, they bond together and will stick in your mind as Squad 7.

The story itself is very enjoyable, a mix of romance, fantasy, war and racial tensions which draws many parralells with the real conflict of world war 2, overall it's a wonderful breath of fresh air and a much needed break from the myriad flavours of power fantasy.

The gameplay system is great and really brought the SRPG genre along leaps and bounds. It becomes really enjoyable 1/4 of the way into the game when it starts throwing immense set pieces into the mix.

The anime artsyle really looks great while at the same time it remains down to earth and not too garish.

The bottom line is this is a must have game
  47. Nov 16, 2010
    One can only pray they make a sequel for the PS3. An absolute joy to play. If only they took advantage of the board game-ish feel and made a multiplayer aspect...
  48. Sep 21, 2011
    This is by far the best SRPG I have ever played. The unique realtime combat system is excellent and the wonderfull art, interesting storyline, well written dialogue and supurb soundtrack create a truely charming atmosphere.
  49. Feb 28, 2011
    The only reason I gave it a 9 is because it shouldn't be PS3 exclusive as it's a great game!

The graphics are original thanks to the CANVAS engine, the gameplay is original (as far as I know) and the story reflects some parts of our European history. The only reason why I think this is a 16+ game is because of the one curse word and the death animation of a character but I'd say even teenagers could accept the facts of what happened in the war and enjoy a somewhat light hearted take on the subject.

Anyway, the experience is unique and even has the option to replay on Hard Mode for the serious games as well as DLC if you think it ends there.

As for controls, they are really good, no input lag, easy to get into (not if you payed the sequel of course) and feels natural. Overall, if you want a war game that doesn't look too serious yet take some of the things from what happened in our own history, this game tells a great alternate take and feels like it puts on a cutesy manga touch to it without being too similar to the others you may have watched. At a low price you have no excuse to experience this if you have a PS3!
  50. Dec 30, 2012
    I was honestly surprised when I bought this game, especially since I fail miserably at tactical games, but this game was a huge surprise in both gameplay and difficulty. The game mixes elements of tactics (you move characters on a map), with rpg elements (you gain exp, power up stuff, gather members), and also elements of a shooter (you go into third person mode when you have to shoot).I was honestly surprised when I bought this game, especially since I fail miserably at tactical games, but this game was a huge surprise in both gameplay and difficulty. The game mixes elements of tactics (you move characters on a map), with rpg elements (you gain exp, power up stuff, gather members), and also elements of a shooter (you go into third person mode when you have to shoot). But the battle aren't the only good thing: characters and the setup are fantastic too, set in an alternative europe with different beliefs, but at the same time similar to the real europe, making us feel comfortable with the setting but still being able to tell new things. I haven't completely finished it yet but the game is luckily very versatile and, even if it's sometimes cheating, it's a good game and really pays off your dedication. But even then I do have some big complains about this game, and one of them is the classes. First off, I did love the fact that you don't believe your members by themselves, but they level up characters that are all in class, using the experience gained from battles (and skirmishes, which are the random battles of the game): this easily kills the constant grinding for leveling each character because you'll just level all characters from a certain class....but few classes are extremely and completely hard to use properly, making them worthless, like the shocktroopers and the lancers (your basic soldier and rocket launchers). Both these classes are used only in few moments, but because of their EXTREME slowness, they won't be able to be of any use when you're a lot forward into the camp or when you need proper action, leaving the main job to scouts (weaker, but much more mobile and can kill pretty good, if you aim to the head), engineers (weaker scouts, but they can repair the tank, replenish ammo, have more bombs, have good mobility and their weapon is the same as the scouts), and even snipers (they're even slower than shocktroopers and lancers....but they can 1-shot enemies from far, making them a must). Even your tank is better, even if slow, because it can kill everyone on the battlefield and only explosives and rockets can hurt him. In the end, even if lancers are good against tanks, making them a LITTLE more useful than the shocktroopers, these ones are and will remain a defensive type of soldier, which is a bit of disappointment considering their huge amount of damage they can do. Too bad, this issue would have been fixed if your tank could move them as a transport. Another big problem also, is the enemy that, even if sometimes acting as a random, they can shoot you more precisely than a sniper at times (a tank was able to destroy a group of soldier from almost the other side of the map, and a soldier was able to shoot me through the bridge rails). Luckily the enemy will still act randomly and won't be a big of an issue, but if you're not careful your group will perish from their inhuman aiming. And third...the game randomly ramps up in difficulty during fights. The biggest examples were the first battles of the game, where I was supposed to use the tank to fight back...but the tank wouldn't arrive until I was almost dead (and luckily I managed to pass the mission just in time). Another big example was when I was fighting the enemy, everything was doing fine, then...an unspotted tank came in, and destroyed my camp, and almost failed the mission (at least the game told me to bring some lancers), without mentioning a boss tank could almost 3 shot me even with full defensive upgrades available. As I said, I haven't completed the game, but these are some small examples of how the game will tease you, and it can be a problem because, if you don't act on time, you might fail and restart the game, in order to make a proper group (thus, becoming a trial and error game). I do like this game though, despite the flaws, because of the amazing amount of details they've put on anything, like soldier's backstories, weapons and tank upgrades, well thought level up system, and a detailed story with a well balanced roster of character (balanced, because they all are the main characters, in the end), and it really saddens me that this game didn't have a good popularity, because it deserved a proper success and, unfortunely, it showed how good games and well thought games can fail because of poor marketing (Okami on the ps2 is the prime example). If you ever find this game, I'd highly suggest to give it a try, because I did the mistake of following bad reviews (mentioning that it was either hard as hell, or badly programmed), and only now I recovered my mistake. Worth trying, especially because it might be cheap, and good games on the ps3 are still a rare sight to spot. Expand
  51. May 23, 2011
    I can honestly say i didn't like this game at all when I first bought it, but as time went it grew on me. The game looks interesting, and streams beautifully on the PS3. The battle system is interesting,but most of all I loved the fact that you could chose your units fo battle, and as a plus they each feature bio to show there own story. Take it from me, you need to get this game, and atI can honestly say i didn't like this game at all when I first bought it, but as time went it grew on me. The game looks interesting, and streams beautifully on the PS3. The battle system is interesting,but most of all I loved the fact that you could chose your units fo battle, and as a plus they each feature bio to show there own story. Take it from me, you need to get this game, and at its reduced price its worth it. Expand
  52. May 25, 2011
    This is a fantastic game. I picked it up about a year after it came out and wish I got it way back. If you love anime, strategy RPGs, or even just JRPGs you will most likely enjoy this game. Tons of content and a full story that never drags or seems dull. The combat system is the most fun Ive had in a turn based system. Its as close to a video game version of warhammer tabletop. DoThis is a fantastic game. I picked it up about a year after it came out and wish I got it way back. If you love anime, strategy RPGs, or even just JRPGs you will most likely enjoy this game. Tons of content and a full story that never drags or seems dull. The combat system is the most fun Ive had in a turn based system. Its as close to a video game version of warhammer tabletop. Do yourself a favor and check it out. Expand
  53. Apr 14, 2015
    One of my favourite games, and a big part of the reason I bought a PS3 (then they go and make a PC port, sigh). It's JRPG meets XCOM, or SRPG, because that's a thing, apparently. A unique art-style helps the game stand out, and the gameplay is excellent, however I suspect many may be turned off by the assumption that this is weeaboo crud (don't be!)
  54. Sep 30, 2011
    Quite possible one of the best games on the Playstation 3, great story, art, music and gameplay. You'll keep trying to do every mission without losing any of the militia. 9/10
  55. Aug 26, 2013
    Simply outstanding... Timeless graphics/presentation, superb and innovative gameplay, and a well told mature story are only a few reasons to love this game. It mixes so many genres together in a euphoric blend of rpg and strategy that anyone can pick up and love. I can't think of any faults to this masterpiece, go out and get it already!
  56. Aug 25, 2012
    Very good game, it may look simple but it has much to offer. Every mission in the game can last hours or it can last a few minutes if you know the tricks. Graphics is beautiful and story is very interesting. I must say, this is one of the best games I have ever played and I strongly recommend to PS3 owners.
  57. Jul 26, 2012
    Video game master piece. the game is completely stunning and runs on SAGAs canvas engine which makes every moment of the game looks stunning. The story is great to filled with characters that have an anime style that doesn't use to much of the anime stereotypes. the story line is set around the invasion of the nation Gallia with other sub plots being winded into the main plot. The games aVideo game master piece. the game is completely stunning and runs on SAGAs canvas engine which makes every moment of the game looks stunning. The story is great to filled with characters that have an anime style that doesn't use to much of the anime stereotypes. the story line is set around the invasion of the nation Gallia with other sub plots being winded into the main plot. The games a must buy for any RPG fan and if you have to buy a PS3 just to play this amazing game. just writing this review makes me want to play it. Expand
  58. Dec 29, 2013
    My first entry to the series was VC2 on PSP, I loved it, so I was glad to put my hands on this PS3 exclusive later. I must say, that the game is a real Gem. It has beautiful and stylish cell-shaded graphics, a story with lots of touching moments, memorable characters with a top-notch voice acting, unique and fun tactical battle system. The game is pretty hard at times, but it's worth it.My first entry to the series was VC2 on PSP, I loved it, so I was glad to put my hands on this PS3 exclusive later. I must say, that the game is a real Gem. It has beautiful and stylish cell-shaded graphics, a story with lots of touching moments, memorable characters with a top-notch voice acting, unique and fun tactical battle system. The game is pretty hard at times, but it's worth it. One of the best games I've ever played. Expand
  59. Jan 6, 2013
    A great game, both gameplay wise and story wise. The characters capture you instantly, so whenever something bad happens, you truly feel sorry. The combat is turn based in a way, but it's always satisfying to take out an enemy to the very end... and the game isn't short either, it took me over 60 hours to complete. There isn't much to do besides the main story, but it's always exciting toA great game, both gameplay wise and story wise. The characters capture you instantly, so whenever something bad happens, you truly feel sorry. The combat is turn based in a way, but it's always satisfying to take out an enemy to the very end... and the game isn't short either, it took me over 60 hours to complete. There isn't much to do besides the main story, but it's always exciting to get the occasional side quest/mission and learn more about each character. Expand
  60. Feb 13, 2013
    One of the best games of all time, certainly the best game for PS3. Beautiful story, vivid characters, humor, drama everything is here and with all balanced enough of movies and gaming, which is converted to Hard Mode hardcore tactical problems. Beautiful visual style, excellent musical accompaniment a long time since I felt such euphoria of the game!
  61. Nov 7, 2013
    Goods
    - VERY engaging story
    - VERY engaging game play
    - Missions are difficult yet very reward which makes you want more
    - Good characters

Bads
    - Sometimes you have a better CHANCE of hitting someone at 1% than at 99%

Extras
    - Last boss is extremely annoying so be prepared !
    - Highly recommended for those who like tactical strategy!!
  62. Nov 8, 2014
    Valkyria Chronicles es uno de los juegos desconocidos de la generación pasada, el cual pertenece a la élite de los mejores J-RPG tácticos, desarrollado y publicado por SEGA en exclusiva para PS3, el cual salio el 31 de octubre en Europa y el 4 de Noviembre en Norte América del 2008. El diseño del juego cuenta con un motor gráfico llamado SEGA CANVAS, ofreciendo al título una de las mejoresValkyria Chronicles es uno de los juegos desconocidos de la generación pasada, el cual pertenece a la élite de los mejores J-RPG tácticos, desarrollado y publicado por SEGA en exclusiva para PS3, el cual salio el 31 de octubre en Europa y el 4 de Noviembre en Norte América del 2008. El diseño del juego cuenta con un motor gráfico llamado SEGA CANVAS, ofreciendo al título una de las mejores características con ese Cel Shading tipo acuarela. (me encanta su apariencia)Sobre el idioma se puede seleccionar como lenguaje el Japones o Ingles con la opción de habilitar o no los subtitulos en ingles, siendo este uno de los puntos negativos del juego.

Es un título con una historia interesante, el nivel de juego es muy fresco en el genero, que ofrecerá un reto en cada misión, llenos de personajes con carisma muy agradable unos y otros caerán mal, no solo con los principales también con los secundarios y los reclutas que iras conociendo en el avanzar de cada misión, siendo algunos personajes los del juego Skies of Arcadia, todos con su propia personalidad y por eso uno siempre tendrá ese extremo cuidado para que, ese personaje con quien hayas simpatizado no caiga en combate. (aunque no afecta en nada, siempre regresaran)Un juego que invita a jugarlo repetidamente, una vez que hayas superado el modo principal para mejorar lo ya hecho y conseguir todas las medallas del juego (vienen siendo los trofeos, ya que no tiene ese sistema) cuenta con un sistema de valoración de rangos desde la D el mas bajo hasta la A la valoración mas alta y tiene la posibilidad de otro modo de juego llamado Batalla Libre o Skirsmish donde existe la selección de dificultad, ya que en el Modo Historia solo hay una dificultad predeterminada.

Respecto al sistema del juego, se basa en combate por turnos, en vivo y por zonas llamado en ingles BLiTZ, en plena batalla habrán dos modos de juego, el modo Comando que nos dará una perspectiva aérea sobre un mapa táctico donde visualizaremos las unidades aliadas y enemigas (esta ultima, si nuestros soldados tienen visión sobre el enemigo), al seleccionar una unidad aliada entraremos al modo Acción, donde tendremos una visual de nuestro soldado en tercera persona, en ese modo todo transcurre en tiempo real, con la ventaja que solo tu soldado tendrá la posibilidad de moverse en el campo de batalla dependiendo de la distancia a recorrer por la barra AP (Action Points) pero puede ser atacado por el enemigo si llegan a tener visión sobre tú unidad e igual cuando llega el turno del enemigo, no podrás mover ninguna unidad tuya pero, dispararan automáticamente si la unidad enemiga pasa por la visual de tu soldado, dando así un ''equilibrio'' entre turnos. (si llegan a jugarlo sabrán el por que de las comillas)

Es un juego que se desarrolla en una Europa ficticia del año 1935 cuando la paz había acabado, iniciando la segunda Guerra Europea entre la Federación Atlántica y la Alianza Europea Imperial, donde los países vecinos sufrirían las consecuencias de la misma, en medio del conflicto de esas dos grandes potencias esta el país de Gallia donde conoceremos a nuestros protagonistas y dará comienzo la aventura del juego.a
  63. Sep 10, 2014
    An epic strategic rpg. The story is well written with twists and a mix of sad and joyful moments. It has one of the saddest moments in video game history for me. The characters are amazing. They all fell like they were real and alive. The graphics are unique. The game looks like a water colour painting. The soundtrack is fitting. The gameplay is unique and refreshing. Overall the game isAn epic strategic rpg. The story is well written with twists and a mix of sad and joyful moments. It has one of the saddest moments in video game history for me. The characters are amazing. They all fell like they were real and alive. The graphics are unique. The game looks like a water colour painting. The soundtrack is fitting. The gameplay is unique and refreshing. Overall the game is impressive and an insider tip for all rpg and strategic game fans. Expand
  64. Nov 4, 2014
    A beautiful Action-Strategy hybrid, with charming artistic-style & an endearing story.

Game-play is satisfyingly deep & enjoyable, and I adore the 3rd-person presentation.

Plot & Characters can be a bit melodramatic, but as a whole here is a well-crafted, satisfying sRPG, with a very-unique A/V presentation. 9/10

Valkyria Chronicles shatters all strategy RPG conventions.
  2. The story is a real hoot. [Dec 2008, p.78]
  3. Make no mistake, Valkyria Chronicles is a really, really, really good tactical RPG, and fans of the genre should pick it up without delay, but beneath the inviting exterior and thoughtfully designed battle system lies a game with a few too many clunky inconsistencies which directly impact the strategic heart of the experience.