6.6

1. May 21, 2011
    Too arcade, gameplay lacks depth. Definitely the worst Virtua Tennis game to date. The best are the first two on Sega Dreamcast. Top Spin 4 is also a bad game (it tries so hard to be realistic, but it becomes a game of chance). So, this year's tennis games are really bad, we should stick to the old ones.
  2. Feb 14, 2012
    You cannot play Career mode nor Online Mode using the Move controller. Also I get the filling that Playstation Move is not fully integrated into game mechanics: no support for twist of the hand moves. PS Move is just an afterthought in this game and if you buy this game to play with motion controller you will be very disappointed.
  3. Aug 3, 2012
    Okay, so we all know the difference between Arcade and Sim right? Virtua Tennis 4 never proclaimed to be a Tennis Sim, everyone knows that it is a Arcade and the Virtua Tennis series always has been. Having played Top Spin 3&4 and the Grand Slam Tennis games, I had sampled both ends of the genre, both Sim and Arcade. Virtua Tennis 4 is a mixed game. The actual Tennis matches are brilliantOkay, so we all know the difference between Arcade and Sim right? Virtua Tennis 4 never proclaimed to be a Tennis Sim, everyone knows that it is a Arcade and the Virtua Tennis series always has been. Having played Top Spin 3&4 and the Grand Slam Tennis games, I had sampled both ends of the genre, both Sim and Arcade. Virtua Tennis 4 is a mixed game. The actual Tennis matches are brilliant fun, but the way they've (the Devs) decided to set out World Tour is disappointing and quite frankly, pointless. World Tour plays like a board game. Imagine Monopoly but with Tennis players. Each turn, you are handed some 'tickets' which determine how far you can move. You land on a variety of spots, such as Training, Practise Matches, non-playable charity and publicity events and the VT4 equivalent of 'Jail', Stolen Wallet. Which does what it says on the tin: loses you money. This idea is awful. It made me miss out on the vast majority of matches that I could participate in, lowering both the fun and my Star Ranking, which is VT4's version of the Seedings in real Tennis. I don't know what the Devs were thinking with this idea. It's absolutely, one hundred percent disastrous. The game does, at points, seem completely broken as well. I was one step away from a Championship, had a One Step Ticket and the game wouldn't allow me to move to it. The Arcade and Exhibition modes, on the other hand, are fun and pretty much without flaw. You get to play as your favourite Tennis pros, such as Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray, Maria Sharapova (not as hot in-game as in real life :3), Ana Ivanovic (likewise) and Laura Robson. Wait...Laura Robson? Yes, I do know who she is, but many don't and I wonder why they decided to put a little-known Tennis player in, who really isn't that good, when they could have put in the likes of Sabine Lisicki, Serena Williams (arguably better than her sister Venus) or Maria Kirilenko. Sega seem to have put MUCH more focus on the male Tennis pros than the female, with 11 male and only 7 female pros. I could easily think of another four to fill the gap. Overall, I think they have had poor judgement with many of the players, some don't even play competitively anymore or have slipped down to low Seedings. The Graphics aren't anything special. The players to slightly resemble their real-life counter-parts but not by much. Some players seem to have had much more effort in making them seem lifelike, such as Federer and Nadal, while others have been left alone. Other than a slight graphical improvement, not much has changed from the times of Virtua Tennis 3. Collapse
  4. Aug 3, 2012

1. As with the rest of Virtua Tennis' shtick it's a simple system that hides its complexity well. Along with an addictive, board game-style World Tour mode,it's hard not to recommend Virtua Tennis 4. Perhaps the stellar motion controls are relegated to throwaway mini-game, rather than being fully integrated. [June 2011 p 79]
  2. Jul 25, 2011
    SEGA keeps the Virtua Tennis series alive with its 4th entry into mix, bringing along a bundle of upgrades and fresh game modes to keep us swinging away.
  3. Jul 18, 2011
    Virtua Tennis 4 certainly offers gamers a lot of fun with its random selection of mini-games and off-beat career mode but there's definitely that more arcade feel to the game that may not provide as big a challenge for hardcore tennis fans.