7.4

1. Oct 14, 2011
    I know nothing about the Warhammer universe, but had lots of fun anyway with this game. It's a typical 3rd person shooter with occasional melee mechanics; right amount of challenge and okay graphics. But it could be better, definitely. The main character is kind of forgettable, the plot is not compelling and the stages get a bit boring, specially on the last hours. But it's a nice game, weI know nothing about the Warhammer universe, but had lots of fun anyway with this game. It's a typical 3rd person shooter with occasional melee mechanics; right amount of challenge and okay graphics. But it could be better, definitely. The main character is kind of forgettable, the plot is not compelling and the stages get a bit boring, specially on the last hours. But it's a nice game, we can see they really wanted to give us something great. This is not a rushed project or an unfinished game. It's an okay game from a very rich universe (as far as I know). Fans and non fans should try it. Expand
  2. Jan 18, 2012
    This is a cool game don't get me wrong. A s someone pretty unfamiliar with the 40k series I found it really interesting and fun, however the sheer repetitiveness of the game bored me after the 1st hour or so but I trudged on hoping for it too get better. It didn't. I just could not have been bothered to finish the game once I had played it for about 4 hours in total as it just ceased toThis is a cool game don't get me wrong. A s someone pretty unfamiliar with the 40k series I found it really interesting and fun, however the sheer repetitiveness of the game bored me after the 1st hour or so but I trudged on hoping for it too get better. It didn't. I just could not have been bothered to finish the game once I had played it for about 4 hours in total as it just ceased to be fun very quickly Expand
  3. Nov 2, 2011
    This game, although it does give you the feeling of being a Space Marine, doesn't fully deliver. The single player campaign is far too short, and contains repeated enemies that require very little thought to dispose of. Whenever you die, it's usually the fault of the game rather than yourself, as you are vulnerable to enemies while executing the easiest move that restores health. The 40kThis game, although it does give you the feeling of being a Space Marine, doesn't fully deliver. The single player campaign is far too short, and contains repeated enemies that require very little thought to dispose of. Whenever you die, it's usually the fault of the game rather than yourself, as you are vulnerable to enemies while executing the easiest move that restores health. The 40k universe is such a rich universe full of story and character opportunities, but the developers have barely even skimmed the surface of this, the plot is as basic as they come.
    The multiplayer is enjoyable, they've balanced the classes well, and the newly released Exterminatus co-op multiplayer provides an opportunity to work together to take down enemies. But the often fun multiplayer doesn't redeem what is overall a disappointment.
  4. Jun 15, 2012
    This game was booooring.. Same kind of enemies all the time, just walk thru endless waves of enemies in non-open very linear chapters. Got thru half way 49% and after that just uninstalled the game.Rather use my time to play something else.
  5. Sep 9, 2011
    This game could have been sooooo much better..its not a bad game its just shallow. It is fun theres no boubt about that but after a few hours I kept wondering what else am I going to have to do other than spam the combat button over and over. Sorry but this does get boring after a while, levels all seem to be very similar with about two jump pack levels and one "flight" level where youThis game could have been sooooo much better..its not a bad game its just shallow. It is fun theres no boubt about that but after a few hours I kept wondering what else am I going to have to do other than spam the combat button over and over. Sorry but this does get boring after a while, levels all seem to be very similar with about two jump pack levels and one "flight" level where you shoot orks out of the sky. Not much in the way of weapon variation either. Graphics are ok , Marines look cool, but this is defiantly not a triple A title. Plus I fellt the last level was quite hard on normal, but maybe thats just me.
    Rent at best, thats what i did and im glad I didnt buy it.
  6. Sep 10, 2011
    I didn't really like this game for one reason I didn't understand what they were saying most of the time it was as if they were speaking a whole other language. don't get me wrong everything else about this game is compleatly solid but if you know don't know that much about warhammer before you play this you won't have any idea what is going on since they use terms no one but warhammerI didn't really like this game for one reason I didn't understand what they were saying most of the time it was as if they were speaking a whole other language. don't get me wrong everything else about this game is compleatly solid but if you know don't know that much about warhammer before you play this you won't have any idea what is going on since they use terms no one but warhammer fans understand. this is a perfect game for a warhammer fan boy but not for the general gamer Expand
  7. Sep 11, 2011
    i played both versions of this game, based on what i exp' on ps3 i wanted to see if i would have the same issues on the 360. the"issues" were bugs/glitches which were a bit disturbing but they are not a deal breaker due to the fact that companies do sometimes patch certain glitches and overall if a game can hold my attention and give me a load of fun combined w/ nice visuals andi played both versions of this game, based on what i exp' on ps3 i wanted to see if i would have the same issues on the 360. the"issues" were bugs/glitches which were a bit disturbing but they are not a deal breaker due to the fact that companies do sometimes patch certain glitches and overall if a game can hold my attention and give me a load of fun combined w/ nice visuals and sound(which doesnt have to be perfect) then certain things can be over looked. but in the age of "next gen gaming" i expect a certain bar to be met, and sure there are games which are fun i.e. e.d.f. insect armageddon which were fun to play, had some glitches and visuals were not the best but it was a blast to run and gun but more importantly priced 39.99 retail/new. in no way am i comparing the 2 games, what i am doing is showing you that for me i could not over look certain glitches/visuals/sounds while having a mediocre exp with this game hence it shouldve been priced as e.d.f. and this is the comparison i am making. for the content and overall exp i have had, the fun factor is limited for me. other than the hash weapons, which do feel powerful w/ nice melee's and the controller vibrating nicely to the buzzing of the saw against an orcs neck or the mighty slash of the axe, all other weapons lacked the feeling of being different than the next. other than the sniper i felt very little difference between the weapons as far as power and uniqueness. and the same w/ damage. the bolt machine type gun felt like it would do as much damage as say a grenade type launcher. and at times when such a high power weapon was needed, i found myself using the sniping to ensure high damage and ran backwards/circling while firing all of them in swarm battles, except for the almighty axe/chainsaw melee which when your power gauge is full, can unleash fury one hit kills while going forward. but other than that, there was nothing strategic about the element of fighting, other than scoping a few head shots while some orcs stand buy and welcome them as if i were firing brownies. the controls werent complicated and very forgiving and the swarms of orcs can be challenging and fun combined w/ a bit of intense, but it does not feel this way after 5 times, it then starts to feel repetitive in regards to a flood of orcs coming and the element of surprise was not to be seen, you knew when they were coming hence the machine bolting moonwalk and dosie doe. of course even a space marine can not tackle a crap load of orcs rushing you, and i say marine because the a.i. comrades are as useless as t^ts on a bull, they are sometimes useful to become distractions but rarely, it always seems like i am the only one who can be seen and my fellow space marines have cloaking abilities which is a class at the corps which i must have been too hungover to attend. but this isnt anything new, most games give the same feeling of having cameramen beside you instead of battle ready team mates, the just follow and shoot only when im not looking i guess, or maybe they had blanks and the joke was one me. but again, this isnt new in terms of having useless comrades who fire toward the ceiling, many games display this often and because a rainbow six team feeling is not implemented in this game or many squad based games isnt a valid reason to say game stinks because of it, i can say the game couldve been better if they in fact gave you a feeling of being in a squad, more importantly the captain or leader, feeling more like the teams mascot. but this is an issue w/ campaign. and a common one. so when a company pushes for the space marines,which to my knowledge are built on each other, well unless you play online, you will be a space marine w/ a few clones to engage cut scenes with, but certainly not the battlefield. overall its an average game w/ nothing new to bring to the"next gen gaming" table. if this were priced differently then the ratings would stay equal but the feeling of being cheated wouldnt come into play, and for me i feel like the game showed me something which i couldve lived w/o seeing but paid full retail to see it, i expect a certain bar to be met when we have all seen what polished engines/creative developers and hard work can produce, good games,great game. which we then can justify paying full retail for. and being a fan of mgs4/ rainbow 6/limbo, graphics do not define great,when you have many elements in play which sync well w/each other certain things can be overlooked ,but when a game has very little to offer then there is very little to appreciate, game is sub par/average at best. i look for having a good time, spending hours of fun anticipating whats next, feeling like i just stepped into another realm,or feeling something which brings me into the game. only thing i felt was being let down. i do value and understand everyones opinion, but to see some games getting a 10! is misery loving company in MY opinion. this game shouldve been priced less, rent b4 buy Expand
  8. Sep 9, 2011
    wh:40k's space marine is breaking new ground in more way's then one.

in respect to wh:40k, space marine has raised the bar for what will be expected of future shooters based on the futuristic table top universe. indeed "firewarrior" will fade under its shadow and it will not be missed. but space marine has also forged boldly into the realm of releasing unfinished games and making
    wh:40k's space marine is breaking new ground in more way's then one.

but space marine has also forged boldly into the realm of releasing unfinished games and making long term downloadable content promises. the political maelstrome of gaming. remember mortal kombat vs. dc universe? its proof that even strong developers can crash and burn in a moments notice, leaveing there dlc promises unkept and there fans high and dry.

the newest strategy is to have the "dlc" already on the disk and simply sell or offer the unlock data later on.

but the fact is, space marine is not nearly a finished game. the only aspect of it that can be considered truly finished is the single player campaign and in a world of gamers who crave multiplayer, this was a true miscalculation. as it stands, the competitive multiplayer is there but the match making service is abysmal. sometimes taking as long as an hour just to get into a game.

despite the fact that the current multiplayer can barley be considered up and running, the developers are already heralding a online co-op mode that will be realeased some time in october. the question is how much of 'space marine' will be peicemealed out until it is a complete game and more over, is this upcoming content already on the disk? or maybe the best question is, will we have to pay for something that should have been there in the first place...

so put the madness aside and talk brass tax.

single player.

it is nothing short of amazing but saddly all to short. the single player camp will take the average gamer less then 14 hours to complete and serious gamers can probably cut that time in half. you are a space marine captain. your mission, help stop an ork invasion. your method, taking a small group of space marines(2) past enemy lines and into the heart on the conflagration. this of course brings you into conflict with masses of enemy orks. sometimes fighting 20 or more in a single setting. your tools are based on the classic array. shotgun, machine gun, sniper rifle and meele but all are in a futuristic wh40k context.

the levels are huge and its hard to tell where one ends and another starts. its usualy during the games cinamatic cut scenes which are well done but not over the top. but the developers put an emphasis on showing off the enormous scale of humanitys constructs in the 41st millenium. from giant robots, towering cathedrals, massive space ships and even rediculously sized cargo cranes. your 9 foot space marine will quickly become dwarfed by his suroundings and oposition.

but the epic scale that permiates the game comes at a cost, and its the graphics and textures who pay the piper. while there not bad, there still nothing to show off and certainly not the the selling point, though the shading is quite nice. the true corner stone of the game is of course vicious combat. cutting through hordes of orks, blowing the heads off deamons with a lascannon and cinamaticly executing a stunned enemy via a chain saw down the throat. best of all, it runs smoothely.

but as always theres a down side. combat can sometimes become methodical and later in the game meele becomes impractical and ranged combat becomes the norm. but the menotonus tone is usualy broken up by a bizzare turn of events or the discovery of a jet pack which lets you see the world from anew point of veiw and gives your enemys a new way to get literaly stomped.

alas, the game makes numerous concessions to wh40k canon. imperial gaurdsmen are suprisingly bold and don't need comisars. or a space marine captain can single handedly take on a ork war boss or deamon prince. but these are only problems if your serious codex thumper. it sometimes feels like your taking on the whole ork warband(army) but every now and then you are lightly reminded that you are just a smaller part of a much larger conflict. you just happen to be at the apex.

on a side note, you will not see any terminator armor or dreadnaughts. but the jet packs and heavy weapons make up for it. also, dont expect to unlock new costumes or cool stuff like that. unless they revamp it, all you get is the sp camp. easy, medium or hard.

now then, multi player

its fun but its also simplistic and unbalnced in many ways and thats if leveling up didnt give you bonuses. some of the maps are well planned, while others feel cobbled together out of desperation to have "just a few more". and no, you cant be an ork.

summation

the 7 is for the singleplayer camp, because thats all that is finished. if they really fix the multiplayer issues, then the score would go up. so for sp, rent it or try the demo. if your interested in mp, rent it late in october.
  9. Jun 12, 2012
    The three best words to describe Warhammer 40000 Space Marine would probably be nugatory, generic and mediocre. Now I have no idea about this whole Warhammer thing other than that it's a tabletop strategy game, so I cannot judge upon whether the game portrays that franchise well or not, but it certainly didn't do anything to bring me any closer to it.

The story could just as well have

The story could just as well have been non-existent. You play as a â
  10. Nov 21, 2011
    WARGAMERUK: In lieu of a more conventional introduction, allow me to bring in a guest reviewer to describe the intricacies of this game. Mr Kharn?

KHARN: "KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN!" WARGAMERUK: Thank you. That, my friends, is all you need to know about this game for the first 8-10 hours. It is a psychotically fun

WARGAMERUK: Thank you. That, my friends, is all you need to know about this game for the first 8-10 hours. It is a psychotically fun murderfest!

If you know 40K, then all you need to know is that you play a Movie Marine, and you won't read the rest of this review because you've already run off to buy it.

For everyone else, allow me to introduce what a Space Marine is: He is a walking tank. He is 7ft tall, wearing a suit of battle armour designed to shrug off heavy machinegun fire, and genetically engineered to the point where he could walk into a firefight stark bollock naked and he'd probably win. His weapons of choice are the Bolter and Bolt Pistol - weapons that fire .75 call EXPLOSIVE armour piercing shells (note: SHELLS, not bullets) and the Chainsword - a chainsaw in the shape of a sword.

Along the way, your armament is increased impressively; the Vengeance Launcher is a remote-detonated grenade launcher, the Stalker Bolter is a 10-round scoped assault rifle that sounds and feels like it's built for destroying small vehicles, and the weaponry just improves from there. If you still aren't sure whether this game is right for you, keep in mind the games "sniper rifle" is the Lascannon - an energy weapon designed for destroying BATTLE TANKS!

If shooting isn't your thing, your melee arsenal is enhanced with the Power Axe and the Thunder Hammer as the game progresses. The Thunder Hammer deserves particular mention here for being the most game-breaking weapon since the BFG 9,000. Nothing in the campaign can stand up against it for more than a few seconds. It kills entire SQUADS in one swing, and you will love it the moment you lay your hands on it.

Space Marine's single player is best played with the brain free-wheeling; ignore plot, ignore drama, ignore everything except the hundreds of Orks in front of you and the weapons in your hands. Go nuts and revel in the carnage you cause! Seriously, the game WANTS you to go ballistic! Don't believe me? Let me mention the health system...

In games like Gears of War or Halo, your Super-Soldier heals by cowering like a little girl. Marcus Fenix and Master Chief typically spend most of their battles wetting themselves in the corner until they feel tough enough to fight again. Captain Titus of the Ultramarines does not hide. Captain Titus of the Ultramarines does not use Cover. When Captain Titus of the Ultramarines needs health, he runs into melee and RIPS SOMEONE'S HEAD OFF! That's right folks, you get health back by EXECUTING enemies.

As hillariously fun as the single player is, the multiplayer will leave something to be desired. In theory it should be one of the best multiplayers around, and when its working fine you'll find the combinations of weapons and classes provide a fast, frantic gaming experience that lets you play how you want to play and still feel like you're contributing.

When it's working. Sadly, the reality of the game is that THQ couldn't be arsed to give us dedicated servers, and so half the time your enemies are lacking to hell and are rendered untouchable. Trying to headshot an enemy who is actually 10ft to the right of where you think he is, or getting melee-killed by an Assault Marine who is BLATANTLY out of reach will have you rage-quitting time and again.

VERDICT - The Single Player is fantastic, though may get a little repetitive eventually. The Multiplayer is fun, but how long it remains so is a question of your patience versus the lag, and how long before the latter crushes the former.

7/10, which would be 8 or 9/10 if they gave it dedicated servers.
  11. Sep 12, 2011
    Fun, mindless violence. The weapons feel amazing, the animations are nice and the environment are gorgeous
    Cut scenes can be annoying, but I'm afraid that's plaguing the entire industry right now. Not having dedicated server greatly impairs multiplayer, but I'm hoping they'll fix that
    There's also 4 player co-op coming for free, so the latency should be alright if you're not playing with randoms
  12. Sep 14, 2011
    Very console style even on the PC with rather ugly controls... the game play is uneven, wobbling between simply splendid and idiotic (the final boss fight is simply ridiculous)... but the graphics are wonderful and very lore friendly, as is the very decent voice acting and fairly well written dialogue... the weapons feel and sound 'meaty' and the story line is not bad at all. 6.5... whichVery console style even on the PC with rather ugly controls... the game play is uneven, wobbling between simply splendid and idiotic (the final boss fight is simply ridiculous)... but the graphics are wonderful and very lore friendly, as is the very decent voice acting and fairly well written dialogue... the weapons feel and sound 'meaty' and the story line is not bad at all. 6.5... which rounds up to 7 Expand
  13. Dec 19, 2013
    This world feels empty, restricted, fake, extremely linear and limited. The same can be said about the gameplay. At first it does feel good and powerful. But it can get frustrating with hundreds off enemies coming at you. You're supposed to keep out of dodge to recharge your shield, but that's not really possible at times. After the first hour or 2 it keeps going downhill.
  14. Oct 27, 2011
    For the first 2 hours this game is immense, unfortunately after that the repetition starts to set in. Admittedly you're given new weapons, but there are only so many Orcs you can slay! The final battle is a MASSIVE let down too. After the toil of reaching the end of game boss, its all over with a few button press combo's. Had the potential to be great, but fell just short
  15. Apr 1, 2013
    I was a bit surprised by this game. I thought it would be a pretty dull, poorly made by the numbers shooter but it is actually quite a decent by the numbers shooter. Nothing really stands out as being great but the mechanics are all pretty decent, graphics are decent and the action is fast paced. The voice acting is pretty bad but that isn't really the focus here. Worth a shot if you likeI was a bit surprised by this game. I thought it would be a pretty dull, poorly made by the numbers shooter but it is actually quite a decent by the numbers shooter. Nothing really stands out as being great but the mechanics are all pretty decent, graphics are decent and the action is fast paced. The voice acting is pretty bad but that isn't really the focus here. Worth a shot if you like third person shooters as this can be picked up quite cheap now. Expand
  16. Sep 7, 2014
    As far as warhammer goes this is a real treat. this game is a real "hack and slash" game which makes you feel in charge. multiplayer could use some work, and the game could use a little more "originality"

7.3/10

1. Nov 27, 2011
    The sort of simple, dumb, licensed game that causes the shelves of your local game shop to buckle under the weight of sheer undesirable mediocrity. [Issue#210, p.94]
  2. Devotees to the 20-sided dice will be pleased with the level of fan service on offer here, while even those who've never dared step into the Games Workshop will garner some no-thinking-required enjoyment from this fun if basic orc-driller. [Nov 2011, p.98]
  3. Space Marine sports some cool visual touches, but its presentation falls shy of the top shooters' slick production values and its camera becomes a bit over-caffeinated during close-quarters combat. [Nov 2011, p.86]