7.4

1. Dec 19, 2013
    This world feels empty, restricted, fake, extremely linear and limited. The same can be said about the gameplay. At first it does feel good and powerful. But it can get frustrating with hundreds off enemies coming at you. You're supposed to keep out of dodge to recharge your shield, but that's not really possible at times. After the first hour or 2 it keeps going downhill.
  2. Oct 27, 2013
    I love this game. The single player mode is fun but overall not amazing. It is very linear and doesnt really get across the "grim darkness or the far future" feel of the canon. It is, like I said though, fun. The execution moves are a right laugh and the weapons do have a great feel to them. The multiplayer is where it really gets going though. I have not had this much fun in multiplayer for a long time. The three classes (assault, tactical and devastator marine) add a lot of depth and really fit in with the warhammer universe. Expand
  3. May 1, 2013
    I finished it yesterday and the game is quite good.
    The scenarios and art assets are a little repetitive but it goes properly with the story, which is quite entertaining and full of twists.
  4. Apr 1, 2013
    I was a bit surprised by this game. I thought it would be a pretty dull, poorly made by the numbers shooter but it is actually quite a decent by the numbers shooter. Nothing really stands out as being great but the mechanics are all pretty decent, graphics are decent and the action is fast paced. The voice acting is pretty bad but that isn't really the focus here. Worth a shot if you like third person shooters as this can be picked up quite cheap now. Expand
  5. Feb 21, 2013
    An obviously fantastic game Imagine that when Gears of War meet with the Warhammer 40K All the gore and blood spreading around with it's brilliant combat controls.....and also with the masterpiece soundtrack!
    What else could i say This game is awesome! By the way,there is a totally FREE DLC Exterminatus mode(Survival mode) download in this awesome game How can anyone refuse it Just
    go buy it and love it Expand
  6. Jun 24, 2012
    Space Marine is a helluva game. Let's be honest: it isn't the better game in PS3, but it'll get entertained for a long time. I just picked it up b'coz it went free for PS plus users and, so far, I very satisfied.
    If you played the RTS games on PC, you should be familiar with the story. But I wasn't, so I didn't really paid attention to it.
    The graphics are beautiful and the framerate is
    smooth. That's a thing you don't see in games these days.
    The singleplayer doesn't get you for too long, since it takes around 7-8 hours, if you play it on hard. But the multiplayer has LOTS of fun. It offers visual and gameplay related customizations for your character, be it Space or Chaos Marine. There are many game modes that will keep you playing for a long time.
    Don't dump this game just b'coz it's not mainstream. It's a nice game.
  7. Jun 15, 2012
    This game was booooring.. Same kind of enemies all the time, just walk thru endless waves of enemies in non-open very linear chapters. Got thru half way 49% and after that just uninstalled the game.Rather use my time to play something else.
  8. Jun 13, 2012
    Ah, that awkward moment when you feel like an utter fool for purposely avoiding a great game. This game is so much fun, and if I wouldn't have found in on PS plus for free, I may have never experienced it! This game is a bit like Gears of War. They took out the cinematics that most high budget action games spew at you, and put you straight into the fight. The game paces itself very well, gives a multitude of OP weaponry to shred your foes to mere gristle with, and has a pretty cool online feature with a level up system to keep the fun going! Highly reccomended, I will force my friends to buy this title. Expand
  9. Jun 12, 2012
    The three best words to describe Warhammer 40000 Space Marine would probably be nugatory, generic and mediocre. Now I have no idea about this whole Warhammer thing other than that it's a tabletop strategy game, so I cannot judge upon whether the game portrays that franchise well or not, but it certainly didn't do anything to bring me any closer to it.

The story could just as well have
    been non-existent. You play as a â Expand
  10. May 31, 2012
    Game takes you straight to action by killing hordes of orks. There is not much for the story its just kill orks and collect servo skulls. For me this is best third person shooter game. There are many weapons to choose from there is not "best weapon". Best weapon is that you can use best. There were little disappointments with leveling because there are only 41 levels and you cant start it all over so when you reach level 41 it can get little boring. In multiplayer there are only three classes to choose from I really hoped that there would have been at least four or five. Well there are DLC that allow you play with robot called Dreadnought. You can customize your Space/Chaos Marine any way you want there are armor parts and paints to use. Expand
  11. Apr 11, 2012
    I am not even half way through this game from what I can tell and it is a good game. I can't give it a 10 as I haven't played the mulitplayer yet and through the whole game. At times it is just amazing the number of Orks that you have to take down and the storyline is epic. Despite is leading you through the areas, you still have a feel of an open world. This is a good game.
  12. Apr 6, 2012
    Space Marine is a highly derivative but ultimately excellent third-person-shooter. There is no cover mechanic in this game, so it doesn't follow the Uncharted staple of staying in one place and popping off shots from safety. Progression on a battlefield takes a lot of strategy and careful maneuvering. You need to view the enemies, quickly decide priority targets and take them out as fast as possible. This usually involves switching up your arsenal, as the combat has a rock-paper-scissors element with it's weapon effectiveness. You've also got to balance that with leaving a few minions alive so that you can regenerate health via an execution kill. It's a lot of balls to juggle at the same time and it makes every single battle intense and thrilling. There just isn't any filler in Space Marine because the combat is so satisfying and fun. The story is fairly basic but it's acted with such vim by the game's cast that it genuinely entertains and makes you want to know how it ends. The art design, however... Perhaps the greatest sci-fi world ever created in a video game. Every pour reeks with attention to detail and a deep sense of love, care and passion for the subject material. All these elements combine to make Space Marine a cut above most third-person-shooters and one of my favorite action games of all time. Expand
  13. Jan 23, 2012
    Space Marine is a solid 3rd person shooter with a great melee battle system that works well but can get repetitive if u choose to over use it. besides melee it has a vast array of machine guns sniper rifles pistols and lazer versions of each so you can mix it up. The games universe, characters and enemies are all nicely detailed and graphically its good no frame rate drops even when theres loads of orcs rampaging towards you the story is nicely paced and a good length. too top it all off theres a hoarde co op mode, And multi player although very few people seem to be playing the online. Horde mode can be played solo but is a real challenge. This game went straight to the bargains bin which is a shame as its well made and deserves a try. Buy it if you see it cheap as the only reason i can see for it going bargain is that the space marine war hammer series is not so popular nowadays. Overall good game. Expand
  14. Jan 19, 2012
    I may be partial but im a huge warhammer fan in both their universes but i actualy am enjoying the hell out of this game especialy the online mode of course i can see where some players might not enjoy and see it they r copying other online modes but the armor upgrades and weopon challengers were cool
  15. Jan 18, 2012
    This is a cool game don't get me wrong. A s someone pretty unfamiliar with the 40k series I found it really interesting and fun, however the sheer repetitiveness of the game bored me after the 1st hour or so but I trudged on hoping for it too get better. It didn't. I just could not have been bothered to finish the game once I had played it for about 4 hours in total as it just ceased to be fun very quickly Expand
  16. Dec 29, 2011
    I think a lot of people are missing the point with their review of the this game and its features ... its meant to be a Warhammer 40K game .. so all the Orcs will just charge head on and sound like **** .. thats what they do ... they're Orcs. I have always been a closet fan of WH40K and this game just sums up the universe and setting within the stories perfectly. Yes its a bit repetitive but when you are wading through thick as you like Orcs in power armour that's what its like. The look of the game is very good, the cut scenes impressive. Overall a solid 80/100 for me. Now bring out Space Hulk .. please Expand
  17. Dec 20, 2011
    I think this game is really good. I enjoy the multiplayer a lot and the campaign was easily the most gory and violent thing I have ever seen, so it fits the IP nicely. Multiplayer has an awesome customizer and the mix of jump troops, melee and classical shooter elements makes for a solid tactical gaming experience. For people who like both the Warhammer 40,000 setting and shooters, this is an awesome action game. Once you get the hang of it and can seamlessly mix melee and ranged combat, this game has a unique flow.

If you dislike the setting, it's not nearly as good, because it is extremely true to Warhammer 40,000. If you are not good at team shooters, the PVE is still good but the PVP probably becomes too hectic and tactically demanding.

All in all, I'd have to say that it is easily the best action game I have played in years, right up there with Team Fortress and Counter-Strike.

Game Modes:
    Campaign (linear shooter/spectacle fighter with a wonderfully violent health system)

Annihilation (classic team death match)
    Seize Ground (point capture mode)
    CTF (capture the flag mode)

Exterminatus/Chaos Unleashed (Co-op Multiplayer Horde/Wave Mode)
  18. Nov 21, 2011
    WARGAMERUK: In lieu of a more conventional introduction, allow me to bring in a guest reviewer to describe the intricacies of this game. Mr Kharn?

KHARN: "KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN!"

WARGAMERUK: Thank you. That, my friends, is all you need to know about this game for the first 8-10 hours. It is a psychotically fun
    murderfest!

If you know 40K, then all you need to know is that you play a Movie Marine, and you won't read the rest of this review because you've already run off to buy it.

For everyone else, allow me to introduce what a Space Marine is: He is a walking tank. He is 7ft tall, wearing a suit of battle armour designed to shrug off heavy machinegun fire, and genetically engineered to the point where he could walk into a firefight stark bollock naked and he'd probably win. His weapons of choice are the Bolter and Bolt Pistol - weapons that fire .75 call EXPLOSIVE armour piercing shells (note: SHELLS, not bullets) and the Chainsword - a chainsaw in the shape of a sword.

Along the way, your armament is increased impressively; the Vengeance Launcher is a remote-detonated grenade launcher, the Stalker Bolter is a 10-round scoped assault rifle that sounds and feels like it's built for destroying small vehicles, and the weaponry just improves from there. If you still aren't sure whether this game is right for you, keep in mind the games "sniper rifle" is the Lascannon - an energy weapon designed for destroying BATTLE TANKS!

If shooting isn't your thing, your melee arsenal is enhanced with the Power Axe and the Thunder Hammer as the game progresses. The Thunder Hammer deserves particular mention here for being the most game-breaking weapon since the BFG 9,000. Nothing in the campaign can stand up against it for more than a few seconds. It kills entire SQUADS in one swing, and you will love it the moment you lay your hands on it.

Space Marine's single player is best played with the brain free-wheeling; ignore plot, ignore drama, ignore everything except the hundreds of Orks in front of you and the weapons in your hands. Go nuts and revel in the carnage you cause! Seriously, the game WANTS you to go ballistic! Don't believe me? Let me mention the health system...

In games like Gears of War or Halo, your Super-Soldier heals by cowering like a little girl. Marcus Fenix and Master Chief typically spend most of their battles wetting themselves in the corner until they feel tough enough to fight again. Captain Titus of the Ultramarines does not hide. Captain Titus of the Ultramarines does not use Cover. When Captain Titus of the Ultramarines needs health, he runs into melee and RIPS SOMEONE'S HEAD OFF! That's right folks, you get health back by EXECUTING enemies.

As hillariously fun as the single player is, the multiplayer will leave something to be desired. In theory it should be one of the best multiplayers around, and when its working fine you'll find the combinations of weapons and classes provide a fast, frantic gaming experience that lets you play how you want to play and still feel like you're contributing.

When it's working. Sadly, the reality of the game is that THQ couldn't be arsed to give us dedicated servers, and so half the time your enemies are lacking to hell and are rendered untouchable. Trying to headshot an enemy who is actually 10ft to the right of where you think he is, or getting melee-killed by an Assault Marine who is BLATANTLY out of reach will have you rage-quitting time and again.

VERDICT - The Single Player is fantastic, though may get a little repetitive eventually. The Multiplayer is fun, but how long it remains so is a question of your patience versus the lag, and how long before the latter crushes the former.

7/10, which would be 8 or 9/10 if they gave it dedicated servers.
  19. Nov 19, 2011
    This game is so NOT good, i watched my friend play it and i fell asleep many times during those repetitive orc fighting parts( most of game), and bad voice acting (all the orcs have Australian accents). Please, if you own an XBox 360, get Gears of War 3 and not this, if you own a PS3, save your money...seriously, wouldn't even take this game for free.
  20. Nov 8, 2011
    This game sucks so hard I didn't even finished it. What a total waste of money. Not only is it one long series of repetition, but it leaves absolutely no room for brain activity what so ever.
    They could easily make the game a lot cheaper by just repeting the same sequence over and over again.
    Nopes, I'm not impressed.
  21. Nov 2, 2011
    This game, although it does give you the feeling of being a Space Marine, doesn't fully deliver. The single player campaign is far too short, and contains repeated enemies that require very little thought to dispose of. Whenever you die, it's usually the fault of the game rather than yourself, as you are vulnerable to enemies while executing the easiest move that restores health. The 40k universe is such a rich universe full of story and character opportunities, but the developers have barely even skimmed the surface of this, the plot is as basic as they come.
    The multiplayer is enjoyable, they've balanced the classes well, and the newly released Exterminatus co-op multiplayer provides an opportunity to work together to take down enemies. But the often fun multiplayer doesn't redeem what is overall a disappointment.
  22. Oct 28, 2011
    This game is a ton of fun. I'm not that good at shooters so NORMAL difficulty was a challenge for me, but I was HIGHLY entertained. The action is non-stop and fast paced. You need to employ some tactics for sure. Price dropped to $40 and the campaign is definitely worth $40. The on-line play has lots of potential but it would be nice to have some games with other objectives. I also find myself getting very few points each game compared to others which results in a strong feeling of grinding to level up. I'm not sure if the high level players simply clobber me with their gear or I'm just horrible -- probably a bit of both but my interest in the on-line play is waning even though I'd like to play it more. Expand
  23. Oct 27, 2011
    For the first 2 hours this game is immense, unfortunately after that the repetition starts to set in. Admittedly you're given new weapons, but there are only so many Orcs you can slay! The final battle is a MASSIVE let down too. After the toil of reaching the end of game boss, its all over with a few button press combo's. Had the potential to be great, but fell just short
  24. Oct 14, 2011
    I know nothing about the Warhammer universe, but had lots of fun anyway with this game. It's a typical 3rd person shooter with occasional melee mechanics; right amount of challenge and okay graphics. But it could be better, definitely. The main character is kind of forgettable, the plot is not compelling and the stages get a bit boring, specially on the last hours. But it's a nice game, we can see they really wanted to give us something great. This is not a rushed project or an unfinished game. It's an okay game from a very rich universe (as far as I know). Fans and non fans should try it. Expand
  25. Oct 5, 2011
    The game won me over with multiplayer (and I normally hate multiplayer). The unlocks, the customization, and the single most brilliant mechanic in any game this year, the ability to copy the gear/perk loadout from the person that just killed you (regardless of level difference). Thank God they finally fixed the matchmaking on PS3!
  26. Sep 28, 2011
    This game is excellent. The single-player campaign is fun. The art is great; the stunning vastness of buildings in the W40k universe is well-realized. The multiplayer is fun and complex. It's not a perfect game, but it is well worth the purchase.
  27. Sep 23, 2011
    Got this game for my Bday, I wouldnt spend £40 of my own money on this but it is still a very solid game. The graphics are decent and look very similar to Darksiders which not surprisingly is also published by THQ. The story is a bit weak and the chapters are quite similar (although I havent completed it yet) as there isnt much variety. I really like the combat though, its easy to switch weapons and i like the feel of the guns, nice and solid. The melee is really nice though (again lots of similarities with Darksiders) as you can beat off hordes of Orks with your sword or axe, you can pull off some nice combos as well as being able to regenerate your health from killing enemies. Havent tried the multiplayer yet but have heard its pretty fun to play, so i look forward to that. Expand
  28. Sep 18, 2011
    Awesome game!
    The single player is really fun, who doesn't like killing orcs?!
    The multiplayer is amazing, I find it extremely fun, I love the customization.
    I like how the multiplayer actually feels like a fire-fight, in Call of Duty, I always felt it was 1v1 or 1v2 or 1v3 etc. but not in this game. In a match you need to strategize. When I was playing, I was behind cover, and I looked
    around, saw alot of my teammates near me also taking cover and shooting, across from me was the enemy side, they were shooting too. I saw a ton of bullets on plasma bolts going back and forth and explosions everywhere. Then I saw a raptor (I was on space marines, enemy was chaos, one team is chaos and the other is space marines) (for all you noobs to warhammer, a raptor is a chaos person with a jump pack and melee weapon) crash down on some of my teammates, and on the enemy side our people with jump packs taking off and landing in their area. The raptor that jumped in our area killed a few people, next thing I knew, another one landed on me, and almost killed me. Luckily I threw down a grenade and evaded away, that raptor died and we shot the other one down. Then we got back into cover, with a few of us being killed by the enemy shooters. We started shooting again and took down any raptors in the air, a squad of me and about 4 of my teammates went through to the tunnel system to try to get across to flank the other team. Some people saw us and shot at us, about 2-3 died then. As we entered the tunnel system we saw a few other enemies who apparently got the same idea, we killed them pretty easily (they sucked :D). We came out of the tunnel on the other side and killed all of their shooters, so the path was clear for the rest of our team, then most of them came to help us take their control point and the rest stayed to defend. With our jump pack people (forgot what they are called on the space marine team) taking out all the shooters from above, we shot their raptors and we took their control point.
    THE END
    See what I mean?
    Im sure you people can image a warhammer battle like that (I played in it :D)
    Anyway, I hope you got my point, if not here it is:

BUY THIS GAME, IT IS ONE OF THE BEST SHOOTERS EVER

Also, it is a THIRD PERSON SHOOTER, not a first person shooter.
  29. Sep 17, 2011
    The 40k Universe perfectly captured by Relic.

Single Player Campaign is bloody good fun. Albeit all too short

Multi-player is incredibly fun, but the lack of maps and nagging ping problems drags the experience down.
  30. Sep 16, 2011
    This game is awesome. Single player experience is like OMG. Multiplayer is sick as hell. This game is like God of War, HALO, and Gears of War all had a super sexy night and had an amazing baby. This game is the baby.
  31. Sep 16, 2011
    First off, the campeign is great. The combat is a bit repetitive, at least until about midway through the game. The plot is very 40k. Also I love the multiplayer, especially the armor customization.
  32. Sep 15, 2011
    This game is great. Everything you would want from a epic action shooter. Campaign is 8-10 hours of non stop action and the multiplayer is addictive. Can't wait for DLC and a sequel.
  33. Sep 14, 2011
    Very console style even on the PC with rather ugly controls... the game play is uneven, wobbling between simply splendid and idiotic (the final boss fight is simply ridiculous)... but the graphics are wonderful and very lore friendly, as is the very decent voice acting and fairly well written dialogue... the weapons feel and sound 'meaty' and the story line is not bad at all. 6.5... which rounds up to 7 Expand
  34. Sep 12, 2011
    Space Marine makes a great entrance into the FPS genre. The Single player campaign runs at about 6-7 hours, which seems to be the standard for FPS games these days. The characters are done quite well and the game lets you feel like the powerful machine of war that a Space Marine is. The weapons you come across, both melee and ranged, are varied and unique enough from each other to keep them all interesting and fun. The Campaign is genuinely interesting and has more than a few surprise moments to keep you guessing on the outcome. The multi-player is also quite fun, with great customization and entertaining matches. The real strength in this game though is the campaign and feeling like you really are a Space Marine, sent in with your squad to do what needs to be done. Expand
  35. Sep 12, 2011
    Fun, mindless violence. The weapons feel amazing, the animations are nice and the environment are gorgeous
    Cut scenes can be annoying, but I'm afraid that's plaguing the entire industry right now. Not having dedicated server greatly impairs multiplayer, but I'm hoping they'll fix that
    There's also 4 player co-op coming for free, so the latency should be alright if you're not playing with randoms
  36. Sep 12, 2011
    All I can say is that this game rocks! I'm not even a longtime fan of warhammer. The game has an awesome single player and an awesome multiplayer. I have not had this much fun in online since the days of lan parties for the original Halo:CE. Go out and get this now.
  37. Sep 11, 2011
    i played both versions of this game, based on what i exp' on ps3 i wanted to see if i would have the same issues on the 360. the"issues" were bugs/glitches which were a bit disturbing but they are not a deal breaker due to the fact that companies do sometimes patch certain glitches and overall if a game can hold my attention and give me a load of fun combined w/ nice visuals and sound(which doesnt have to be perfect) then certain things can be over looked. but in the age of "next gen gaming" i expect a certain bar to be met, and sure there are games which are fun i.e. e.d.f. insect armageddon which were fun to play, had some glitches and visuals were not the best but it was a blast to run and gun but more importantly priced 39.99 retail/new. in no way am i comparing the 2 games, what i am doing is showing you that for me i could not over look certain glitches/visuals/sounds while having a mediocre exp with this game hence it shouldve been priced as e.d.f. and this is the comparison i am making. for the content and overall exp i have had, the fun factor is limited for me. other than the hash weapons, which do feel powerful w/ nice melee's and the controller vibrating nicely to the buzzing of the saw against an orcs neck or the mighty slash of the axe, all other weapons lacked the feeling of being different than the next. other than the sniper i felt very little difference between the weapons as far as power and uniqueness. and the same w/ damage. the bolt machine type gun felt like it would do as much damage as say a grenade type launcher. and at times when such a high power weapon was needed, i found myself using the sniping to ensure high damage and ran backwards/circling while firing all of them in swarm battles, except for the almighty axe/chainsaw melee which when your power gauge is full, can unleash fury one hit kills while going forward. but other than that, there was nothing strategic about the element of fighting, other than scoping a few head shots while some orcs stand buy and welcome them as if i were firing brownies. the controls werent complicated and very forgiving and the swarms of orcs can be challenging and fun combined w/ a bit of intense, but it does not feel this way after 5 times, it then starts to feel repetitive in regards to a flood of orcs coming and the element of surprise was not to be seen, you knew when they were coming hence the machine bolting moonwalk and dosie doe. of course even a space marine can not tackle a crap load of orcs rushing you, and i say marine because the a.i. comrades are as useless as t^ts on a bull, they are sometimes useful to become distractions but rarely, it always seems like i am the only one who can be seen and my fellow space marines have cloaking abilities which is a class at the corps which i must have been too hungover to attend. but this isnt anything new, most games give the same feeling of having cameramen beside you instead of battle ready team mates, the just follow and shoot only when im not looking i guess, or maybe they had blanks and the joke was one me. but again, this isnt new in terms of having useless comrades who fire toward the ceiling, many games display this often and because a rainbow six team feeling is not implemented in this game or many squad based games isnt a valid reason to say game stinks because of it, i can say the game couldve been better if they in fact gave you a feeling of being in a squad, more importantly the captain or leader, feeling more like the teams mascot. but this is an issue w/ campaign. and a common one. so when a company pushes for the space marines,which to my knowledge are built on each other, well unless you play online, you will be a space marine w/ a few clones to engage cut scenes with, but certainly not the battlefield. overall its an average game w/ nothing new to bring to the"next gen gaming" table. if this were priced differently then the ratings would stay equal but the feeling of being cheated wouldnt come into play, and for me i feel like the game showed me something which i couldve lived w/o seeing but paid full retail to see it, i expect a certain bar to be met when we have all seen what polished engines/creative developers and hard work can produce, good games,great game. which we then can justify paying full retail for. and being a fan of mgs4/ rainbow 6/limbo, graphics do not define great,when you have many elements in play which sync well w/each other certain things can be overlooked ,but when a game has very little to offer then there is very little to appreciate, game is sub par/average at best. i look for having a good time, spending hours of fun anticipating whats next, feeling like i just stepped into another realm,or feeling something which brings me into the game. only thing i felt was being let down. i do value and understand everyones opinion, but to see some games getting a 10! is misery loving company in MY opinion. this game shouldve been priced less, rent b4 buy Expand
  38. Sep 10, 2011
    I didn't really like this game for one reason I didn't understand what they were saying most of the time it was as if they were speaking a whole other language. don't get me wrong everything else about this game is compleatly solid but if you know don't know that much about warhammer before you play this you won't have any idea what is going on since they use terms no one but warhammer fans understand. this is a perfect game for a warhammer fan boy but not for the general gamer Expand
  39. Sep 10, 2011
    this is an amazing game, im loving every part of it.

as a warhammer fan, this captures the universe in a way that is almost exactly out of the books. the monsters are frequent, the stakes are high and the characters are badass. there are no serious issues i've had with the game, multiplayer is taking an age to load and i sometimes throw orcs through walls. but aside from that this is
    amazing and a must buy for any warhammer nerd

on the other hand, if you are not a fan of 40k and are just looking for some 3rd person fun. you may have trouble with the health system or the fact that there isn't a cover system. aside from that i can guarantee you will have some fun gutting orcs

40. Sep 9, 2011
    wh:40k's space marine is breaking new ground in more way's then one.

in respect to wh:40k, space marine has raised the bar for what will be expected of future shooters based on the futuristic table top universe. indeed "firewarrior" will fade under its shadow and it will not be missed.

but space marine has also forged boldly into the realm of releasing unfinished games and making
    long term downloadable content promises. the political maelstrome of gaming. remember mortal kombat vs. dc universe? its proof that even strong developers can crash and burn in a moments notice, leaveing there dlc promises unkept and there fans high and dry.

the newest strategy is to have the "dlc" already on the disk and simply sell or offer the unlock data later on.

but the fact is, space marine is not nearly a finished game. the only aspect of it that can be considered truly finished is the single player campaign and in a world of gamers who crave multiplayer, this was a true miscalculation. as it stands, the competitive multiplayer is there but the match making service is abysmal. sometimes taking as long as an hour just to get into a game.

despite the fact that the current multiplayer can barley be considered up and running, the developers are already heralding a online co-op mode that will be realeased some time in october. the question is how much of 'space marine' will be peicemealed out until it is a complete game and more over, is this upcoming content already on the disk? or maybe the best question is, will we have to pay for something that should have been there in the first place...

so put the madness aside and talk brass tax.

single player.

it is nothing short of amazing but saddly all to short. the single player camp will take the average gamer less then 14 hours to complete and serious gamers can probably cut that time in half. you are a space marine captain. your mission, help stop an ork invasion. your method, taking a small group of space marines(2) past enemy lines and into the heart on the conflagration. this of course brings you into conflict with masses of enemy orks. sometimes fighting 20 or more in a single setting. your tools are based on the classic array. shotgun, machine gun, sniper rifle and meele but all are in a futuristic wh40k context.

the levels are huge and its hard to tell where one ends and another starts. its usualy during the games cinamatic cut scenes which are well done but not over the top. but the developers put an emphasis on showing off the enormous scale of humanitys constructs in the 41st millenium. from giant robots, towering cathedrals, massive space ships and even rediculously sized cargo cranes. your 9 foot space marine will quickly become dwarfed by his suroundings and oposition.

but the epic scale that permiates the game comes at a cost, and its the graphics and textures who pay the piper. while there not bad, there still nothing to show off and certainly not the the selling point, though the shading is quite nice. the true corner stone of the game is of course vicious combat. cutting through hordes of orks, blowing the heads off deamons with a lascannon and cinamaticly executing a stunned enemy via a chain saw down the throat. best of all, it runs smoothely.

but as always theres a down side. combat can sometimes become methodical and later in the game meele becomes impractical and ranged combat becomes the norm. but the menotonus tone is usualy broken up by a bizzare turn of events or the discovery of a jet pack which lets you see the world from anew point of veiw and gives your enemys a new way to get literaly stomped.

alas, the game makes numerous concessions to wh40k canon. imperial gaurdsmen are suprisingly bold and don't need comisars. or a space marine captain can single handedly take on a ork war boss or deamon prince. but these are only problems if your serious codex thumper. it sometimes feels like your taking on the whole ork warband(army) but every now and then you are lightly reminded that you are just a smaller part of a much larger conflict. you just happen to be at the apex.

on a side note, you will not see any terminator armor or dreadnaughts. but the jet packs and heavy weapons make up for it. also, dont expect to unlock new costumes or cool stuff like that. unless they revamp it, all you get is the sp camp. easy, medium or hard.

now then, multi player

its fun but its also simplistic and unbalnced in many ways and thats if leveling up didnt give you bonuses. some of the maps are well planned, while others feel cobbled together out of desperation to have "just a few more". and no, you cant be an ork.

summation

the 7 is for the singleplayer camp, because thats all that is finished. if they really fix the multiplayer issues, then the score would go up. so for sp, rent it or try the demo. if your interested in mp, rent it late in october.
  41. Sep 9, 2011
    This game could have been sooooo much better..its not a bad game its just shallow. It is fun theres no boubt about that but after a few hours I kept wondering what else am I going to have to do other than spam the combat button over and over. Sorry but this does get boring after a while, levels all seem to be very similar with about two jump pack levels and one "flight" level where you shoot orks out of the sky. Not much in the way of weapon variation either. Graphics are ok , Marines look cool, but this is defiantly not a triple A title. Plus I fellt the last level was quite hard on normal, but maybe thats just me.
    Rent at best, thats what i did and im glad I didnt buy it.
  42. Sep 8, 2011
    Multijoueur tout simplement énorme ! à recommander pour les fans de l'univers et amateurs de TPS beat'em all. Le mode solo sympathique sans être particulièrement révolutionnaire. Avec un mode coop qui arrive début octobre, Relic nous livre ici un excellent jeu qui mérite certainement son lot de suite et d'extension. Expand
  43. Sep 8, 2011
    Awesome game, heart pumping action and just the way an action game should be that's based in the dark future, been waiting 'so' long for such a game to come out, cant believe it's finally here!
  44. Sep 7, 2011
    Excilent game and portrayal of the 40K universe. Combat is brutal, bloody, and on a large scale. Controls are a bit of a pain, but not unplayable. Game still has a few teething issues, exspecialy in multiplayer, but for new releases, that's to be expected. Well worth the buy for 40K fans, action fans, or players just wanting a bloody, violent game to endulge in. Too many comparisons with Gears of War by fans too butt-hurt over this game being better.â Expand
  45. Sep 7, 2011
    Weapons feel great, beating enemies to pulp via melee is very satisfying after a long, stressful day, and the environments are stunning. Multiplayer is a lot of fun but unfortunately has only two game modes and a limited number of maps. Hope they'll expand on that via DLC soon.
  46. Sep 7, 2011
    This game is a beast,
    the singleplayer just owns, all the 40k variations of weapons needed for true fan to love this game. The action and tension is just great. Storymode makes me wanna say shut up and take my money.
    Even though multiplayer supposed to be just an addition, it's more than that despite what some cry babies from Gears of War say is very balanced, people just need to realize
    there is no COVER system because you are a freaking SPACE MARINE Adeptus Astarties for God Emperor's sake.
    On top of that in 30 days free DLC exterminatus mode, something like LAST STAND from Dawn of War II Co-op... how freaking awesome is that?
  47. Sep 7, 2011
    Fun, Fun Game. I am having such a great time with Space Marine. The entire game is action packed and the graphics and movement are fantastic. I am afraid that the game is going to finish every time I pass another level because I am enjoying it so much. What a great buy!!!!
  48. Sep 6, 2011
    Game is freaking awesome! MP is a blast, as it's different than the regular FPS MP. This is definitely the sleeper hit of the year as it didn't get the exposure of some of the other games being released. Combat from melee to range is seamless and tonnes of fun hacking at Orks and then blasting them with your bolter.
  49. Sep 6, 2011
    Okay well first off anybody who isn't a warhammer 40k fan probably wont get half the dialogue in the game. i love how relic portrayed the universe they did a great job no doubt. the combat system is really fun and is extremely satisfying. it would have been nice to have a few more moves but im not complaining its not enough to give the game a low rating like some people on here. like dawn of war it gives you the option to customize your space marines looks which is nothing short of awesome. the story is a typical warhammer storyline anybody who expected anything different is an idiot. i'd bet good money that relic will patch this game up to near perfection and give it many new features including more multiplayer within the next couple months so all you cry baby jagged gamer snobs can be patient. if you know relic you know they'll add a bunch of stuff and fix most of the glitches. all in all great great great game. love it. 10 out of f'ing 10 Expand
  50. Sep 6, 2011
    This game frigging rocks!!! I'm totally not a 40K fan boy but the shooting and melee mechanics combined with the violence blood fest is a brutally brilliant combo. This game definitively gives Gear of War 3 a run for its money
  51. Sep 6, 2011
    This game really lets you be a Space Marine, and that's good! Great pacing and a good variety of weapons keep it interesting. Playing it on Hard is really a challenge since you cannot just charge into the fray, stun an enemy then execute kill to heal.. You need to tactically plan your assault (defense) then be mindful on which enemies to execute to heal. Multiplayer-wise, it feels like Transformers War for Cybertron without the transforming, which is great and the endless customization options are a great addition to the game. All in all, It's a good game even though I've only familiarized myself with Warhammer 40k lore with the game, Dawn of War 1 and 2. Hoping for more Xenos and mutants to kill on the sequel, hopefully (I'm looking at you, Eldar, Necrons, Tyranids, Tau, Dark Eldar). Expand
  52. Sep 6, 2011
    First, my score is based solely on the single player campaign. I have no real interest in the multiplayer. With that said, I really enjoyed my time with this game. I will admit I am a warhammer fan, but this game feels like the first real action game worthy of the warhammer 40,000 name. The shooting and melee aspects both feel very satisfing to use, and switching between the two in a fight depending on the target and range felt very intuiative and solid. Taking away the cover mechanic and adding the new health system (killing enemies to regain health) is a breath of fresh air after playing so many games that let you sit in cover and easily dispatch enemies without risk. (if your game's ai isnt good enough to have enemies flank/grenade you when your in cover, you shouldn't have cover at all). No, your forced to get your hands dirty, pick your priorities on the battlefield, and wait for your chances to regain some health.
    As far as negatives, the only real one I had was that a little more variety in the melee attacks would have been nice.
    Finally,if your able to handle the challenge, I'd recommend playing the game on the Hard difficulty. For the Emperor!
  53. Sep 6, 2011
    I'm about half-way through the single-player mode, and so far the game is a lot of fun. The projectile weapons have a nice heft to them, and melee combat is very satisfying (especially when you pulverize enemy hordes). Opponents aren't just limited to orks - which is something I was afraid of after playing the demo. Without going into spoilers, after a couple of chapters a new and more dangerous opponent faction appears that is a lot cooler.

The environments are detailed and fairly varied. Relic mixed things up pretty well with different interior and exterior levels that are for the most part very visually appealing. While there's a strong gothic design influence, it never becomes too much for gamers like me who aren't really all that much into goth-grunge. They seem to have found a nice mix to keep both 40K fans and casual gamers happy.

Overall, Space Marine is a positive surprise to me. After having played Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 into the ground over the past couple of months, this is a nice change of pace that brings some fresh air into my game collection.
  54. Sep 7, 2011
    This game is a beast,

1. Nov 27, 2011
    The sort of simple, dumb, licensed game that causes the shelves of your local game shop to buckle under the weight of sheer undesirable mediocrity. [Issue#210, p.94]
  2. Devotees to the 20-sided dice will be pleased with the level of fan service on offer here, while even those who've never dared step into the Games Workshop will garner some no-thinking-required enjoyment from this fun if basic orc-driller. [Nov 2011, p.98]
  3. Space Marine sports some cool visual touches, but its presentation falls shy of the top shooters' slick production values and its camera becomes a bit over-caffeinated during close-quarters combat. [Nov 2011, p.86]