4.7

1. Sep 29, 2011
    It seems that the opinions of this game are rather varied, and rightfully so. This game is really mediocre addition to an already undervalued and underdeveloped genre of superhero games. The game boasts about an overarching story, in which you, as a new mutant just coming into your powers, will have to prevent an all out mutant/human war, and that in this war, you'll have to either side with the Brotherhood or the X-Men. It also lauds itself as having a deep system in which you can customize one of the three characters you have from the beginning of the game. Both of these things are both somewhat true, and somewhat false. While it's true that you make choices in the game, they have no consequence in changing the story, other than who happens to be fighting beside you at any given moment. If you pick brotherhood in one instance, you'll have Pyro, in you picked X-Men in the same instance, you'll have Nightcrawler. Throughout the game, you'll be presented a few such choices, and when you make these choices, you'll earn some faction with either side. You can earn faction with both sides without it harming your faction with the other side. This faction, that you build up, is absolutely pointless. Ultimately, you'll come down to a choice in the third to last chapter, in which you'll declare your intentions as to whether you'll be a member of the brotherhood or the X-Men. All choice you made up to that point literally do not matter, and the faction you've culled does not matter. It is just a bar that shows the general trend of choice you have made throughout the game. You can make all the X-Men choices, but still ultimately be Brotherhood, and vice versa. Furthermore, throughout the game, you'll unlock X-Genes and suits, which mimic the powers of famous mutants in the Marvel Universe. You use these on top of your basic power set. They are divided into four categories: Utility, Offensive, Defensive, and suits. You can mix and match them so that you can have the healing factor of Wolverine, the super speed of Quicksilver, and the sheer power of the Juggernaut. You can also use all of one given characters X-Genes and suit. If you do so, you'll gain access to an X-Mode, which is yet another special power type of thing that lets you play more like that particular character. Likewise, the customization system is somewhat deep, but also limited. At the beginning you pick one of three characters, Jocky McJockjock, quiet Otaku-chan girl, or the schizophrenic bigot who has absolutely no qualms with his new role as a mutant, even though he's been a purifier for his whole life, and hears the voice of his dead father the entire game. After you make your choice, your presented with three basic power trees. Density control (aka I have rock fists), shadow manipulation, and light generation. Density control is the brick/bruiser type power-set, shadow manipulation is the agile melee power-set, and the light generation is the only ranged option of the game. These three power sets have eight different powers contained within them, but you'll only ever be able to use five of them in any given play through. The first is just a basic combo, that as you level it up, gives you more combo options, then the following powers vary from power set to power set, but are presented in the exact same way in all of them. when the opportunity for you to learn a new power arises, it presents you with one of two choices, offensive power or defensive power. If you pick one, you cannot pick the other. However, picking the defensive power doesn't lock you into all defensive powers or vice versa. At one opportunity, you may pick the defensive power, but at the next opportunity, you can pick the offensive one if you so wish. As such, you actually have a fair variety of power sets available to you, as all the powers combo together in different ways.
    The game play itself is pretty fun, and is the high point of the game. It plays, basically, like a more highly polished DC Universe Online. The only problem with combat is enemy variety. Throughout the game, you'll pretty much only fight Purifiers, Purifiers, Purifiers, Purifiers, More Purifiers, and U-Men (which are guys who aren't mutants, but inject themselves with mutant powers). There's also the occasional giant Robot.
    The story itself is pretty disjointed, but works fine. It doesn't read at all like a comic book does, and is nonsensical at points, but there is some coherent narrative to be found. The presentation, likewise, is pretty mediocre. The environments are as bland as the graphics, and the as varied as the enemies you'll fight. It's also fairly short, only lasting me about 5-6 hours for one play through. It does encourage multiple plays through, however.

Overall, I'd give this game a 7-8, depending on my mood. In a time packed with so many blockbuster games, feel free to skip this one, unless you're an x-fan.
  2. Sep 29, 2011
    I cannot believe for the life of me there are actual users giving this crapfest 9's & 10's LOL My god the gaming industry is in trouble with robots like this. You have to be a serious Marvel, X-men, or Silicon Knights fanboy to believe this game to be any good. The story sucks, The gameplay sucks, The dialogue sucks, The characters suck. The Jock doesn't hesistate to tell you how he's a jock in every sentence. Despite it already being clear by him randomly wearing a jock shirt and tossing a football at a rally. Don't even get me started on the bipolar Adrian "I'm not a mutant! oh wait yeah i am! no i'm not again! im betraying my father!" What little RPG elements it has sucks. Basicaly this game was a good idea. Wrong developer to execute it. The game shouldve been canceled. I'm amazed that they actualy published this as a full retail game. Steer clear from this atrocity. Its worse than Prototype FAR WORSE. As for the gamers giving it 9's.....raise your standards.....much much higher. Expand
  3. Sep 30, 2011
    This game is such an egregious insult to the X-Men franchise. Please avoid at all costs. The 3 stock characters are awful stereotypes who add nothing to the storyline as you play through. The convoluted plot, mashing together comic ideas with well-established characters is ludicrous with an even more unbelievable resolution. The AI is flat-out retarded, running through fire to get to you. The camera is garbage, especially when you disappear and flicker during attacks. The whole entire game is literally a series of "beat X number of enemies in this alotted time". The only platforming is laughable and god forbid you hold any direction when jumping up a wall or you will fall off of it. The checkpoints are illogical and every single boss battle, with multiple parts, has to be restarted should you die. The difference in difficulty between Easy and Normal is the difference between an enemy taking 100 hits to 1 hit and you losing 1/4 of your life or 1/32 for every hit. The collectibles and challenges are hidden around so ridiculously, you won't want to go back to find them. The x-genes you pick up during the game are random, so you have no way of knowing where one you missed might be so you can go back and get it. The "replayability" is a joke, allowing you to replay 1 of 7 missions or 1 of 15 challenges for the simple purpose of trophies. The "kill X number of this enemy type" trophies require at least 4 playthroughs and are a joke. If you must play an X-men game, just play X-Men Legends 2 again. Avoid at all costs. Expand
  4. Sep 28, 2011
    This would be an awesome game... if it were for the PS2.

Overall I did sort of like this game. It just felt like someone took an awesome game and made it as mediocre as possible. I like playing your own hero instead of having to play the stars. I like choosing my abilities. The gameplay was just very very meh. Here's what I think could've made this game a lot better. First off allow
    you to choose your own superhero name. Next allow you to design your own costume (like in City of Heroes). One of the things this game has is M-genes. These sort of give you parts of other heroes powers. It's sort of cool, but it makes me feel less like my own hero. I wish instead these would allow me to alter my own powers in different ways. It feels pretty weird to have shadow based powers and be covered in ice.

Overall this game feels like it was half finished and instead of doing all the work to finish it they just made what they had playable and shipped it out.
  5. Oct 4, 2011
    If you like kicking a lot of ass 110% of the time...this one is for you. It was a lot of fun, and I usually don't even like beat'em ups. I had to force myself to go to bed! The real focus of this game is the brawler style combat, and evolving your mutant to kick even more ass as you go. The combat is simple and easy to pick up. As you unlock abilities you'll find yourself immediately satisfied that you're now a tank who can wreck 100 guys at once. The story is on par for any comic book (that is to say, fairly ridiculous), and the graphics are not the best (with a few glaring errors). I have to be honest though, I actually enjoyed playing it. It was cool to dig into the back stories of the other Xmen/Brotherhood characters, and fighting alongside different ones via the 'Destiny Choices' was a nice touch. The combat itself is gorgeous, and as you evolve it just gets better. I'd recommend it to anyone new to the brawler genre. Expand
  6. Jun 3, 2012
    X-Men: Destiny is the latest X-Men game by Silicon Knights, the creators of Too Human. Destiny takes place in San Francisco after the death of Professor Xavier. The game opens at peace rally for Human/Mutant relations which is attacked by what appears to be the Brotherhood of Mutants.

Story: 4/10
    Destiny's storyline is written by Mike Carrey the acclaimed Marvel writer of X-Men: Legacy.
    However it follows suite of countless X-Men storylines of mutant hating organisations trying to capture mutants. Not only is the story dismal but it takes a mere 5-6 hours to complete even when taking your time.
    Destiny includes a good amount of classic X-Men characters such as Wolverine, Cyclops and Emma Frost but none of them get enough screentime to carry the story. The game brings 3 new playable characters to the X-Men universe who are very unimaginative and forgettable.

Gameplay: 5/10
    Destiny's gameplay is very similar to the classic PS2 & Xbox title X-Men: Legends. X-Men destiny is a button masher with RPG elements offering a choice of 3 unique abilties such as Density Control and Energy Projection. These abilties can be upgraded several times during the game giving the player unique attacks to deal with enemies. The gameplay for this game isnt one of its strong suits as the game quickly becomes repetitive.

Graphics: 5/10
    This game continues with the cliche of superhero games which try to transfer the feel of comics to video games and failing miserably. It introduces the characters with comic titles while they could have simply introduced the character through dialog like other games. Aside from comic book design the graphics are descent but could be much better if it was developed by a larger developer.

Extras & Multiplayer: 3/10
    Destiny only has 6-8 hour campaign avaliable making it an obvious game made for rental. As I mentioned earlier the campaign is very linear and boring so you couldnt possibly play this game more than twice.

Enjoyment: 4/10
    Aside from the obvious problems this game is still worth renting for anybody who is a fan of X-Men or early 2000s beat em ups. Is it so difficult to make a good superhero game, how many good ones can you name, Spider-Man 2, Arkham Asylum anymore?

Overall Rating: 4 Xs Out Of 10
  7. Apr 18, 2012
    This game could have been so awesome. The concept is fantastic: An action RPG where you take control of a new mutant, choose his powers and make your own story as you explore a San Fransisco caught up in a mutant-on-mutant war. But somehow everything went completely wrong. Its almost like the developers came up with all these awesome ideas one day, and then came in to work the next day and they were all too bored to actually do something with them. As a result, I'm not exaggerating when i say that this game looks and plays like a PS2 game, and whatever good story ideas show up in the beginning are completely lost in the end when the plot becomes so unnecessarily convoluted that you will probably just give up on it and mindlessly go from one boring fight to the next with no interest in what is happening. This game has no redeeming factors whatsoever aside from its short length of 3-4 hours, it doesn't play well, it doesn't look good, it doesn't sound good, it's not even worth a rental. But perhaps the worst thing about this game is that while you're playing it you can easily tell that with the right developer and the same concept this game could have been so much more... Expand
  8. Oct 3, 2011
    Disgusted. Utterly Disgusted. I am a true X-Men fan, have been all my life. I know that there have been some bad games for the franchise; but this one is by far the worst. Which is surprising, because the X-Men lend themselves so wonderfully to a video game; solid heroes and villains, great powers and perfect blend of new characters with old favorites. And X-Men: Destiny has one of the best premises I have ever heard of. You are a young teenager, who discovers you have mutant powers and now have to fight a humanity that you are also trying to protect! That has been one of my secrete dreams since I was 5 and ran around the yard like I was Wolverine! (Okay, I actually was pretending I was Iceman, because, let's face it, he's so much cooler.) Anyway, this game lets us down at every point. The graphics are pathetic most of the time. The sound is painful, half the time you can't understand what a character is saying, because a sound effect is accompanying a graphic on the screen. (I had to turn on subtitles just to know what was going on.) The controls were clunky, with almost exclusive button mashing. The leveling up was confusing with no tips on how to control your powers. The only reason i am giving this game any points at all is because it's original premise is great, and the new Shadow Matter power is cool (in concept, not execution.) and my true love for the X-Men. I am honestly just disappointed. Expand
  9. Oct 13, 2011
    Crappy textures + crappy framerate...obviously something went wrong during the development process of this game. 3 points for having the hot asian chick from Donkey Punch though.
  10. Nov 22, 2011
    I loved the previous X-Men Action RPGs and had fun with both Ultimate Alliance games, but this game ended up feeling flat. The entire experience is mostly repetitive and the controls can be a bit wonky. The strength of the game lies in being around the X-Men and Brotherhood characters themselves. Interacting with any of the mutants brings back fond memories, whether it be old video games, a classic cartoon show, or newer films. Expand
  11. Feb 29, 2012
    I was really looking forward to this i love X men and although the Idea of the Game was good I got through the game in about 2 Hours and could not be bothered to play it again! So sad as they could have made a gr8 game :(
  12. Aug 2, 2012
    This by far is the stupidest game i have ever played they make certain battles so hard that you cant beat them i have fought this one battle at least 100 times and still cant beat it so i threw the controller and three the stupid game away. If you beat the first two parts of this battle and lose the third part you have to start all over again. STUPID. This gets a zero from me!!!! I have never been so frustrated from a game before!!!! Expand

1. After surprisingly decent superhero games like X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, it's a major disappointment that Silicon Knights can't do better than this rubbish. We're amazed that Marvel and Activision let this one through. [Nov 2011, p.37]
  2. Silicon Knights just forgot to give us anything fun to do with our powers, making it hard to recommend Destiny to even diehard fans. [Holiday 2011, p.84]
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    The new adventure of the X-Men is poor and simple. Although the story looked interesting, the result is an average action game, without anything remarkable, that only hardcore X-Men fans will enjoy.