4.7

1. Sep 29, 2011
    It seems that the opinions of this game are rather varied, and rightfully so. This game is really mediocre addition to an already undervalued and underdeveloped genre of superhero games. The game boasts about an overarching story, in which you, as a new mutant just coming into your powers, will have to prevent an all out mutant/human war, and that in this war, you'll have to either sideIt seems that the opinions of this game are rather varied, and rightfully so. This game is really mediocre addition to an already undervalued and underdeveloped genre of superhero games. The game boasts about an overarching story, in which you, as a new mutant just coming into your powers, will have to prevent an all out mutant/human war, and that in this war, you'll have to either side with the Brotherhood or the X-Men. It also lauds itself as having a deep system in which you can customize one of the three characters you have from the beginning of the game. Both of these things are both somewhat true, and somewhat false. While it's true that you make choices in the game, they have no consequence in changing the story, other than who happens to be fighting beside you at any given moment. If you pick brotherhood in one instance, you'll have Pyro, in you picked X-Men in the same instance, you'll have Nightcrawler. Throughout the game, you'll be presented a few such choices, and when you make these choices, you'll earn some faction with either side. You can earn faction with both sides without it harming your faction with the other side. This faction, that you build up, is absolutely pointless. Ultimately, you'll come down to a choice in the third to last chapter, in which you'll declare your intentions as to whether you'll be a member of the brotherhood or the X-Men. All choice you made up to that point literally do not matter, and the faction you've culled does not matter. It is just a bar that shows the general trend of choice you have made throughout the game. You can make all the X-Men choices, but still ultimately be Brotherhood, and vice versa. Furthermore, throughout the game, you'll unlock X-Genes and suits, which mimic the powers of famous mutants in the Marvel Universe. You use these on top of your basic power set. They are divided into four categories: Utility, Offensive, Defensive, and suits. You can mix and match them so that you can have the healing factor of Wolverine, the super speed of Quicksilver, and the sheer power of the Juggernaut. You can also use all of one given characters X-Genes and suit. If you do so, you'll gain access to an X-Mode, which is yet another special power type of thing that lets you play more like that particular character. Likewise, the customization system is somewhat deep, but also limited. At the beginning you pick one of three characters, Jocky McJockjock, quiet Otaku-chan girl, or the schizophrenic bigot who has absolutely no qualms with his new role as a mutant, even though he's been a purifier for his whole life, and hears the voice of his dead father the entire game. After you make your choice, your presented with three basic power trees. Density control (aka I have rock fists), shadow manipulation, and light generation. Density control is the brick/bruiser type power-set, shadow manipulation is the agile melee power-set, and the light generation is the only ranged option of the game. These three power sets have eight different powers contained within them, but you'll only ever be able to use five of them in any given play through. The first is just a basic combo, that as you level it up, gives you more combo options, then the following powers vary from power set to power set, but are presented in the exact same way in all of them. when the opportunity for you to learn a new power arises, it presents you with one of two choices, offensive power or defensive power. If you pick one, you cannot pick the other. However, picking the defensive power doesn't lock you into all defensive powers or vice versa. At one opportunity, you may pick the defensive power, but at the next opportunity, you can pick the offensive one if you so wish. As such, you actually have a fair variety of power sets available to you, as all the powers combo together in different ways.
    The game play itself is pretty fun, and is the high point of the game. It plays, basically, like a more highly polished DC Universe Online. The only problem with combat is enemy variety. Throughout the game, you'll pretty much only fight Purifiers, Purifiers, Purifiers, Purifiers, More Purifiers, and U-Men (which are guys who aren't mutants, but inject themselves with mutant powers). There's also the occasional giant Robot.
    The story itself is pretty disjointed, but works fine. It doesn't read at all like a comic book does, and is nonsensical at points, but there is some coherent narrative to be found. The presentation, likewise, is pretty mediocre. The environments are as bland as the graphics, and the as varied as the enemies you'll fight. It's also fairly short, only lasting me about 5-6 hours for one play through. It does encourage multiple plays through, however.

Overall, I'd give this game a 7-8, depending on my mood. In a time packed with so many blockbuster games, feel free to skip this one, unless you're an x-fan.
  2. Oct 4, 2011
    If you like kicking a lot of ass 110% of the time...this one is for you. It was a lot of fun, and I usually don't even like beat'em ups. I had to force myself to go to bed! The real focus of this game is the brawler style combat, and evolving your mutant to kick even more ass as you go. The combat is simple and easy to pick up. As you unlock abilities you'll find yourself immediatelyIf you like kicking a lot of ass 110% of the time...this one is for you. It was a lot of fun, and I usually don't even like beat'em ups. I had to force myself to go to bed! The real focus of this game is the brawler style combat, and evolving your mutant to kick even more ass as you go. The combat is simple and easy to pick up. As you unlock abilities you'll find yourself immediately satisfied that you're now a tank who can wreck 100 guys at once. The story is on par for any comic book (that is to say, fairly ridiculous), and the graphics are not the best (with a few glaring errors). I have to be honest though, I actually enjoyed playing it. It was cool to dig into the back stories of the other Xmen/Brotherhood characters, and fighting alongside different ones via the 'Destiny Choices' was a nice touch. The combat itself is gorgeous, and as you evolve it just gets better. I'd recommend it to anyone new to the brawler genre. Expand

1. After surprisingly decent superhero games like X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, it's a major disappointment that Silicon Knights can't do better than this rubbish. We're amazed that Marvel and Activision let this one through. [Nov 2011, p.37]
  2. Silicon Knights just forgot to give us anything fun to do with our powers, making it hard to recommend Destiny to even diehard fans. [Holiday 2011, p.84]
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    The new adventure of the X-Men is poor and simple. Although the story looked interesting, the result is an average action game, without anything remarkable, that only hardcore X-Men fans will enjoy.