Yakuza 3 PlayStation 3

• Release Date: Mar 9, 2010
8.3

1. TimS.
    May 18, 2010
    I played Shenmue 1 and 2 all those years ago and loved both of them. In my memory they are one of the best gaming experiences I HAD (note HAD). This game feels very much like Shenmue and that's the problem, this game feels very dated.In its day Shenmue was groundbraking but it has been well and truly surpassed.The streets in Yakuza 3 are beautiful and atmospheric but the old style I played Shenmue 1 and 2 all those years ago and loved both of them. In my memory they are one of the best gaming experiences I HAD (note HAD). This game feels very much like Shenmue and that's the problem, this game feels very dated.In its day Shenmue was groundbraking but it has been well and truly surpassed.The streets in Yakuza 3 are beautiful and atmospheric but the old style Low Res in game graphics don't show the scenery its true glory. Places I can see but can't go as I'm stopped by countless invisible barriers,I would love to explore but it is very limited. Downtown Ryuku for example is very small, there's only about 10 Streets to explore so not as big as you may expect. Very repetitive street fight encounters that are only really there to help you increase your abilities, useful for when you face a future boss but it gets repetitive very quickly. I purchased this game because I love all that is Japanese, sadly this fails to impress. The good points, the soundtrack is superb and the story not bad so far but it does have the odd cliche which amuses me when it shouldn't. Maybe I'm missing the point but I don't care for karaoke, fishing, or golfing (the bowling's good though). I want tons of atmosphere, stunning graphics, a large area to explore and a deeply involving story and character which sadly this game lacks. So an average game,not bad but I expected more. Expand
  2. SeanM
    Mar 21, 2010
    Most of the negative comments for this game seem to be from people who A) Are too used to be shovel-fed the usual tripe from EA and Ubi, or B) Way too used to playing the latest Call of Duty or Battlefield clone. Just play the game for your own sake and don't let the reviewers skew your opinion; this game (really, the whole series) is a rarity in gaming.
  3. Feb 28, 2011
    An enjoyable game that just drags on a litttttle too long. If not for the tedious cut scenes that seem to never end and the repetitive fighting mechanics this game could have been a lot more. Still, overall this game is definitely worth a play.
  4. Feb 22, 2011
    I am only about 2-3 hours into the game, but so far it is quite good but im getting bored of re taking shots on the golf course lol, there is a lot of text to read and loads of cut-scenes but i cant help think i would give my right arm for sega to make shenmue 3.
    I mean all the crap sonic games that keep coming out, bayonetta although it was quite good but i was ****** off with gamestation stealing my pre-order gun, and all the other **** arcade games they keep releasing like crazy taxi and sonic adventure 1 (we all know that SA2 was the best) but please sega pull your finger out other wise ryo hazuki will have died before he can get the dragon seal back 0.o
  5. Jan 10, 2011
    When i picked up Yakuza, I did so due to my interest for the culture, the dramatic pronounciation of the language and facial expression and the adventure that came in the background. The characters are lovable even the children and villians have perfect dept and history. The main protagonist has charm and presence on screen however for the free roaming areas of the map, they could haveWhen i picked up Yakuza, I did so due to my interest for the culture, the dramatic pronounciation of the language and facial expression and the adventure that came in the background. The characters are lovable even the children and villians have perfect dept and history. The main protagonist has charm and presence on screen however for the free roaming areas of the map, they could have made it more accessible than the 4 streets and 2 side roads per location, surely in this day and age, recreating TOKYO in a game can't be that hard especially when TAKE2 recreated NEW YORK. The gameplay and fighting was solid, especially the brawls, I loved that completedly and couldn't wait to bump into people who wanted to beat my character up just to reverse the roles. The Story was addictive and a perfect length, well acted out with brilliant animation. Picking up new weapans is also a blast. I bought this for less than £20 from Play.com "Its like STREETS OF RAGE in 3D." Expand
  6. Jun 21, 2012
    I gave Yakuza 3 a 7. It's a patchwork combination of clunky gameplay and an awe inspiring attention to detail with it's environments. It has both touching emotional moments with genuinely likeable characters, and over the top campy camaraderie that suits this uniquely Japanese adventure.
    Yakuza 3 most certainly comes across as labour of love, and despite the shortcomings that tend to come hand in hand with an ambitious open-world natured title as this, it brings a great deal of fun and variety to the table.
    I feel as though the engine is somewhat holding back the ambitious vision the games creators had, and the vast array of mini games and fun gimmicks that we're given to enjoy come across as a 'jack of all trades, master of none' in that - there is a lot of content for us to dip into, but none of it meets a standard we would expect in other games. It's understandable however, because no other game sees you enjoying karaoke, playing a round of golf, escorting a young girl to various ice cream parlous and fighting street thugs amongst the streets of an almost surreal depiction of real life Kabukicho (or Kamurocho as the game would have you call it).
    Yakuza 3 essentially offers a fun adventure and a promise of great things to come for the Yakuza franchise
  7. Dec 19, 2013
    The story and characters are amazing. I've never felt more about a character then I do about Haruka. I always want to protect her. Even though I know she won't get attacked on the streets, I alway stay close to her, I really feel like a father to her. That said, technically this is not a very good game. The gameplay has it's quirks and it's basically still the same game it was on PS2. TheThe story and characters are amazing. I've never felt more about a character then I do about Haruka. I always want to protect her. Even though I know she won't get attacked on the streets, I alway stay close to her, I really feel like a father to her. That said, technically this is not a very good game. The gameplay has it's quirks and it's basically still the same game it was on PS2. The graphics are better yes but on PS2 they were amazing, here on PS3 they're just average. Collapse

1. Feb 21, 2012
    Don't get me wrong; Yakuza 3 is still a good game that offers a uniquely Japanese experience and dramatic content an order of magnitude more mature than most of what's coming down the pike, but it just doesn't match up to the first two entries. I hate to say it, but the Dragon of Dojima's gotten soft in the middle-it's time for Kazuma to cut back on the yakiniku and get his ass back to the gym.
  2. No other Japanese PS3 game to date provides quite such a vivid game-world in which to play. [JPN Import]
    Tells a good story and is a fun game. [Issue#191, p.74]