• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Mar 9, 2010
8.2

1. May 14, 2014
    Truly a master piece, best game on the PS3 and quite possibly my favorite game of the 7th Gen.
    They messed up a bit with Yakuza 4 by introducing multiple characters and totally terminating kiryu's role in the game, that really sucked
  2. Jan 16, 2014
    I have never played previous Yakuza games before but now I regret it. I found out about Yakuza 3 when I downloaded it's demo, i forgot why I downloaded it but I'm damn glad I did. The story was immersive, I actually cared about the characters and the struggles they had to go through especially the main character Kiryu Kazuma. Without spoiling anything, Kazuma is a former yakuza member andI have never played previous Yakuza games before but now I regret it. I found out about Yakuza 3 when I downloaded it's demo, i forgot why I downloaded it but I'm damn glad I did. The story was immersive, I actually cared about the characters and the struggles they had to go through especially the main character Kiryu Kazuma. Without spoiling anything, Kazuma is a former yakuza member and is the fourth chairman of the tojo clan. He now runs an orphange with his stepdaughter Haruka (not official stepdaughter but you can't deny the strong bond between these two). Kiryu finds out that his orphanage is in danger of being demolished for a resort and travels to Kamurucho to get to the bottom of things but he soon realizes that it's much more complicated than that. The story is rather complex and one that you have to pay close attention too but if you do, you'll experience one of the most mature stories of politics, betrayal, greed and violence in video game history. The intro was just a tad confusing but I guess it's my fault for not paying attention to the subtitles. Oh and that's another thing, you're gonna have to read the subtitles to get what they're saying cause this game is in full Japanese (apart from a few lines spoken in English) with no full English dubbing which is actually very appropriate so I didn't really have a problem with it. Next is the gameplay. The hand-to-hand combat is somewhat simple to learn and a bit harder to master but very rewarding. At the beginning, you have a bare bones moves list with your standard punches and kicks and grapple moves but as you progress, you are given new combos, weapons and special "Heat" moves. These "heat" moves allow you to finish enemies quicker by doing things like stomping their face, suplex-ing them on a chair, spit a cigarette at their face then finishing with a punch and soooooooo much more. It provides a very deep combat system and rewards you for mastering your moves. It may seem a little too easy once you get really strong but don't worry, tougher opponents come in huge numbers from time to time and you are also given fresh challenges in the form of some awesome boss battles. Apart from the combat, there's exploration and the side quests. Now, these side quests are unique and fun to play as well. You get to go on dates (little repetitive though), run away from cross dressers, be a hitman, chase guys who stole from old ladies, sing karaoke even act as a detective and solve mysteries and so much more and hell there's even this segment where you take pictures of these certain citizens who do extraordinary and if you hit the precise buttons at the right time and answer a question correctly, it'll reward you with a brand new "heat" move and that is awesome. Though, I wish they would add waypoints to the map. Seriously, I keep pausing and opening the map every 5 seconds to know where the **** I should be going because the game only sets waypoints for main story mission but not for side quests which is annoying as hell. Another annoyance I had with this game is how it doesn't have a day and night cycle. Sure you can switch from day to night and vice versa but you have to go to your base first and take a nap. I don't get it, why can't the Earth rotate by itself without me getting some shut eye first? Hopefully they fix this in future Yakuza installments.

So in conclusion, this game has a complex and mature story, compelling characters, some high quality voice acting (even though I don't understand them, i know they're saying it with real emotion) some wacky and fun side quests and deep, rewarding combat system AND it has a new game plus so once you finish the game, you can start a new game with all the moves and skills you unlocked in your previous game. This is one of the most underrated PS3 exclusives and one I would recommend to anyone who wants a damn good open-world experience.
  3. Dec 19, 2013
    The story and characters are amazing. I've never felt more about a character then I do about Haruka. I always want to protect her. Even though I know she won't get attacked on the streets, I alway stay close to her, I really feel like a father to her. That said, technically this is not a very good game. The gameplay has it's quirks and it's basically still the same game it was on PS2. TheThe story and characters are amazing. I've never felt more about a character then I do about Haruka. I always want to protect her. Even though I know she won't get attacked on the streets, I alway stay close to her, I really feel like a father to her. That said, technically this is not a very good game. The gameplay has it's quirks and it's basically still the same game it was on PS2. The graphics are better yes but on PS2 they were amazing, here on PS3 they're just average. Expand
  4. Apr 6, 2013
    this game is a masterpiece there are tonnes of things to do and the Yakuza series is reborn on the PlayStation 3™ and all our favorite characters are back including Kiryu,Majima,Daigo etc. along with some new awesome characters with an amazing storyline as usual great graphics and gameplay boy this game made my day! MUST BUY!
  5. Sep 7, 2012
    I enjoyed this game very much, despite of its outdated graphic. The combat is really fun, thanks to the simplicity. The storyline of the game is interesting, and has a lot of humour. The revelations made me LOL all the times. It is not those dark story, but more like macho japanese man story. I liked it and I will play the up coming titles for the series. =)
  6. Aug 20, 2012
    If you manage to SURVIVE the oh-my-God-this-game-goes-nowhere-initial chapters you'll find a rich, deep and engaging story, with many special characteristics that make this franchise so unique. People tend to compare Yakuza to GTA - and that's a HUGE mistake. If I had to compare, I'd say it resembles Shenmue. This is not a sandbox game, where you can roam freely, doing whatever you feelIf you manage to SURVIVE the oh-my-God-this-game-goes-nowhere-initial chapters you'll find a rich, deep and engaging story, with many special characteristics that make this franchise so unique. People tend to compare Yakuza to GTA - and that's a HUGE mistake. If I had to compare, I'd say it resembles Shenmue. This is not a sandbox game, where you can roam freely, doing whatever you feel like. There's a very linear structure of chapters and events with some sidequests in the middle. And a LOT of brawling. It's all about values, family and doing what it feels right. Great game, hidden gem. Expand
  7. Jun 21, 2012
    I gave Yakuza 3 a 7. It's a patchwork combination of clunky gameplay and an awe inspiring attention to detail with it's environments. It has both touching emotional moments with genuinely likeable characters, and over the top campy camaraderie that suits this uniquely Japanese adventure.
    Yakuza 3 most certainly comes across as labour of love, and despite the shortcomings that tend to come hand in hand with an ambitious open-world natured title as this, it brings a great deal of fun and variety to the table.
    I feel as though the engine is somewhat holding back the ambitious vision the games creators had, and the vast array of mini games and fun gimmicks that we're given to enjoy come across as a 'jack of all trades, master of none' in that - there is a lot of content for us to dip into, but none of it meets a standard we would expect in other games. It's understandable however, because no other game sees you enjoying karaoke, playing a round of golf, escorting a young girl to various ice cream parlous and fighting street thugs amongst the streets of an almost surreal depiction of real life Kabukicho (or Kamurocho as the game would have you call it).
    Yakuza 3 essentially offers a fun adventure and a promise of great things to come for the Yakuza franchise
  8. Apr 2, 2012
    If you're a fan of the late, great Shenmue, then you should immediately check out the Yakuza franchise. Whilst Yakuza 3 doesn't quite achieve the level of catharsis or the stately dignity of Shenmue, it does have a lot of similar elements (namely, the real world locations and the free roaming RPG mechanics). That said, the game isn't a Shenmue wannabe, as it's tone is completely different.If you're a fan of the late, great Shenmue, then you should immediately check out the Yakuza franchise. Whilst Yakuza 3 doesn't quite achieve the level of catharsis or the stately dignity of Shenmue, it does have a lot of similar elements (namely, the real world locations and the free roaming RPG mechanics). That said, the game isn't a Shenmue wannabe, as it's tone is completely different. Yakuza 3 has a hilarious Japanese sense of humor that sees you beating the holy crap out of anyone who even looks at you funny. Stamping on a man's face / using a traffic cone as a golf club and a dude's head as a ball / braining somebody with a bicycle wheel... FUNNY EVERY SINGLE TIME! Especially when said 'victims' get up from their beatings and profusely apologize to you. The actual combat is tight and fun, the plot is totally nuts but entertaining (and very convoluted) and there are a ton of mini games to distract you from your main quest. Yakuza 3 made me a full-on franchise fan and was great fun from start to finish. Expand
  9. Mar 6, 2012
    Yakuza 3 is a highly underrated game which was overshadowed on release by the bad press it received for not including all of the side quests of the Japanese version. (Most notably, the ability to visit hostess clubs was removed.)

Nevertheless, Yakuza 3 is well worth your time, especially if you are into Japanese culture and/or enjoy games with detailed story lines. Some will complain

Some will complain about the lengthy cut-scenes, but I think this is a bit overblown. The game always gives you an opportunity to save before showing you a long cut-scene, plus the scenes themselves are skip-able, and you can also re-watch them from the menu. So there's a good deal of flexibility there. Even without the removed content, Yakuza 3 has upwards of 50 hours of content to enjoy. If you're only interested in finishing the story, this takes about 20 hours.
  10. Dec 7, 2011
    At times I miss last gen's games, and this game reminds me of the PS2 era. While some may see it it as an insult, I say it as a compliment. The game is the third in the Yakuza series, and while I'v never played any previous title, I thoroughly enjoyed Yakuza 3. The game has recap videos that summarize the last two games nicely, and help you understand it's story. As a former Yakuza, KiryuAt times I miss last gen's games, and this game reminds me of the PS2 era. While some may see it it as an insult, I say it as a compliment. The game is the third in the Yakuza series, and while I'v never played any previous title, I thoroughly enjoyed Yakuza 3. The game has recap videos that summarize the last two games nicely, and help you understand it's story. As a former Yakuza, Kiryu Kazuma is trying to escape his criminal life by building an orphange(he is an orphange as well) and living a peaceful life. At times the story can be very interesting and tense while it can also be obtuse and over the top. Not looking at the story, you can enjoy a really good beat-em-up with a ton of brawls with other yakuzas and street gangs. There are many bosses, and some of them can be really difficult. The game is very fun and flows really well. There are many sidequests, which are varied and unique enough to encourage you to complete more of them. The game is lengthy and fun and It has a "last gen" feel to it and I think it deserves more attention. give it a chance. Expand
  11. Nov 12, 2011
    best game ever best story awesome combat a lot of stuff to do its so japanese that even japanese people say damn that game is japanese an all around fun game that I believe everyone should experience
  12. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is the defination of **** gameplay sucks. Seriously a total waste of time and money.
    The only thing a bit good about this game is the combat but only a bit. I even found the story lame.
  13. May 27, 2011
    Who would've thought being a message boy could be so fun? I didn't expect much from this game, but I have to say it held his own pretty well. The combat is intense and visceral, it may be clunky at first, but once you aquire more skills and moves it gets the depth you were waiting for. Never since the day of the final fight/double dragon era has a beat em up game given me such fun. TheWho would've thought being a message boy could be so fun? I didn't expect much from this game, but I have to say it held his own pretty well. The combat is intense and visceral, it may be clunky at first, but once you aquire more skills and moves it gets the depth you were waiting for. Never since the day of the final fight/double dragon era has a beat em up game given me such fun. The game starts incredibly slow, and in the first hours you just ache for something interesting to happen, story feels boring and cheesy, combat is lacking, and you can only wonder why do such banal sidemissions exist? (teaching a dog tricks? making banana juice? do shopping?). But before you know it, yakuza gets it's claws on you, you develop an addiction to finish sidequests, just for the sake of seing what will happen next; characters become charming and likable; story becomes interesting (although it remains cheesy); and the combat becomes the most rewarding skull bashing parade I've seen in years (with some minor annoyances). It has many rough edges, and many will hate it, but I can almost say that if you can get past the first few hours you won't be able to leave it before finishing it. Expand
  14. Feb 28, 2011
    An enjoyable game that just drags on a litttttle too long. If not for the tedious cut scenes that seem to never end and the repetitive fighting mechanics this game could have been a lot more. Still, overall this game is definitely worth a play.
  15. Feb 22, 2011
    I am only about 2-3 hours into the game, but so far it is quite good but im getting bored of re taking shots on the golf course lol, there is a lot of text to read and loads of cut-scenes but i cant help think i would give my right arm for sega to make shenmue 3.
    I mean all the crap sonic games that keep coming out, bayonetta although it was quite good but i was ****** off with gamestation stealing my pre-order gun, and all the other **** arcade games they keep releasing like crazy taxi and sonic adventure 1 (we all know that SA2 was the best) but please sega pull your finger out other wise ryo hazuki will have died before he can get the dragon seal back 0.o
  16. Jan 10, 2011
    When i picked up Yakuza, I did so due to my interest for the culture, the dramatic pronounciation of the language and facial expression and the adventure that came in the background. The characters are lovable even the children and villians have perfect dept and history. The main protagonist has charm and presence on screen however for the free roaming areas of the map, they could haveWhen i picked up Yakuza, I did so due to my interest for the culture, the dramatic pronounciation of the language and facial expression and the adventure that came in the background. The characters are lovable even the children and villians have perfect dept and history. The main protagonist has charm and presence on screen however for the free roaming areas of the map, they could have made it more accessible than the 4 streets and 2 side roads per location, surely in this day and age, recreating TOKYO in a game can't be that hard especially when TAKE2 recreated NEW YORK. The gameplay and fighting was solid, especially the brawls, I loved that completedly and couldn't wait to bump into people who wanted to beat my character up just to reverse the roles. The Story was addictive and a perfect length, well acted out with brilliant animation. Picking up new weapans is also a blast. I bought this for less than £20 from Play.com "Its like STREETS OF RAGE in 3D." Expand
  17. Dec 21, 2010
    A dream come true for any Japanophile and quite a proficient sandbox game featuring an intriguing story and the most charismatic cast of characters ever. The game dares to be different and apart from cut content, plenty of invisible walls, and repetitive random encounters, succeeds at that. Not perfect but loads of fun just the same.
  18. Oct 2, 2010
    I have not played the full release of this game. I have only played the demo. But I actually took the initiative to sign up on Metacritic and post this review based on the demo. I was completely turned of by the text box dialog, with having to press X to continue. What makes it even worse is it is interlaced in typical cut scenes that have Japanese dialog and English subtitles. Then itI have not played the full release of this game. I have only played the demo. But I actually took the initiative to sign up on Metacritic and post this review based on the demo. I was completely turned of by the text box dialog, with having to press X to continue. What makes it even worse is it is interlaced in typical cut scenes that have Japanese dialog and English subtitles. Then it changes to a box, with no audio cept that of a typing out as it prints out the text. Then it migrates back to cut scenes. Was completely turned off by that. The fighting felt natural and solid. Expand

1. Feb 21, 2012
    Don't get me wrong; Yakuza 3 is still a good game that offers a uniquely Japanese experience and dramatic content an order of magnitude more mature than most of what's coming down the pike, but it just doesn't match up to the first two entries. I hate to say it, but the Dragon of Dojima's gotten soft in the middle-it's time for Kazuma to cut back on the yakiniku and get his ass back to the gym.
  2. No other Japanese PS3 game to date provides quite such a vivid game-world in which to play. [JPN Import]
    Tells a good story and is a fun game. [Issue#191, p.74]