Yakuza 4 PlayStation 3

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Mar 15, 2011
8.0

1. Apr 4, 2012
    The good story, many sidequests and good representation of Tokyo make up for the sometimes repetitive and outdated gameplay. Technically, it plays like a PS2 game and the graphics aren't great, though the cutscenes are amazing. The interesting characters and the unlockable, brutal moves will keep you playing through to the end, but don't expect a great brawler.
  2. Mar 18, 2011
    I find again the true flavour of old time games in the gameplay. Very entertaining, the european version isn't cut as Yakuza 3 was, as you can now have fun with all the mini-games of the city (including the hostesses in the bars!). Sega choosed to make us follow four different protagonists to renovate the gameplay, resulting a clever and very deep scanario.
    Sega's back! Waiting impatiently
    Sega's back! Waiting impatiently for Yakuza of the End!
  3. Apr 18, 2011
    the game play is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE but the story is AMAZING. Overall the game is decent but in order to enjoy the story you have to go through some extremely tedious gameplay. The choice is yours whether or not the story is worth it.
  4. Nov 11, 2012
    I started playing this game and realised it was missing a certain something.
    When it hit me I almost fell out of my chair.
    None of these guys can Hadouken!
    What is this? Has Street Fighter lied to me all my life?
    Spiky hair, Japanese tough guy, no hadouken. Hopefully it will be fixed for next game.
  5. Mar 17, 2011
    Well, Yakuza 3, despite all the cuts, was a good game. Yakuza 4 on the other hand is an awesome piece of software. There are TONS, of things to do. It put´s games like GTA, Saint´s Row and Dead Dead Redemption a run for their money. It is also a game who faitly recreates Japan Red Light District and so, if you never went there it is a nice chance to now what youWell, Yakuza 3, despite all the cuts, was a good game. Yakuza 4 on the other hand is an awesome piece of software. There are TONS, of things to do. It put´s games like GTA, Saint´s Row and Dead Dead Redemption a run for their money. It is also a game who faitly recreates Japan Red Light District and so, if you never went there it is a nice chance to now what you are missing.
    To bad many people will pass this one up it should be the GOTY of this year. I urge those not so closed minded to give it a try, i´m sure you like it quite a bit because it is and Awesome game. I tried to give it a 10/10 here but the Metacritic seems to have trouble with my Score.
  6. May 23, 2015
    Delicious for Japan(RPG) fans, for everyone else, you might be frustrated by the time it takes to go to different mini-games and story missions. I think optional quick-travel would have improved the game, and a more explained story would have more casual appeal for us dumb gamers. Overall, the lack of actual open world interaction is detrimental to the one feature that the game tries toDelicious for Japan(RPG) fans, for everyone else, you might be frustrated by the time it takes to go to different mini-games and story missions. I think optional quick-travel would have improved the game, and a more explained story would have more casual appeal for us dumb gamers. Overall, the lack of actual open world interaction is detrimental to the one feature that the game tries to impress with. It's simply no GTA, and you will most likely not play around with the game, but just go to the different mini-games and do as instructed. Also, graphic violence and noticeable loading times. Standout moments: 1) A photo-event feature where you capture some totally spectacular events and use them to learn new tricks. 2) Citizens can be knocked over, but only with precision and care, and it's fun, and there's a trophy for it. 3) When all four heroes work together in the final chapter. 4) The karaoke mini-game. 5) Japanese board games implemented with great care.

That said, I feel like I've seen a part of Tokyo. The game deserves an extra point for the realistic approach to the city, as it then becomes a document that lets you study aspects of a culture realistically. Also, the story has some remarkable moments. One of the cutscenes is one of my favourite cutscenes in any game, and it's pretty long and cinematic.
  7. Sep 27, 2016
    A strong 7. This felt like the shortest Yakuza-game on PS3. Easy-forgettable story. The only thing I remember from it is the policeman Tanimura, whose voice and face is the cute and sexy Hiroki Narimiya - famous from the Honey & Clover tv-drama and the movie Ace Attorney.
  8. Oct 6, 2015
    Much better than the third one, the cut scenes were improved but I hate they added more characters you can play as. It made the game harder but at the same time a little boring because I just wanted to play as Kazuma. I did like how they brought back the hostess clubs as they were one of my favorite features.
  9. Mar 18, 2011
    Sega's back! Waiting impatiently
    Sega's back! Waiting impatiently for Yakuza of the End!

1. Aug 8, 2011
    It often seems like Yakuza 4 is conspiring against itself, holding its own cool features back behind technology and game design. It's not that Yakuza 4 is a bad game, but rather that too many of the game's eccentricities don't work in its favor.
  2. May 24, 2011
    This game is crazy as all the Yakuza games before. The graphics are not that good but the details of the virtual Japan are truly thrilling.
  3. May 23, 2011
    If the Yakuza series were merely the sole franchise keeping the long tradition of the 3D brawler alive, it would be worthy of praise. The fact that it manages to do that while also offering some of the best storytelling in the industry-and that it accomplishes these things essentially once a year-all combine to make it one of the most impressive series around. Yakuza 4 comes from the best possible video game pedigree, and it does its predecessors proud.