6.5

1. Jan 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought the season pass and FC didn't make me feel as though I'd wasted my money. It was a fun tack-on to the main storyline but, in the end, I found myself just wanted to slog through it and see what happened. This was due completely to the fact that freeing slaves simply meant I had access to more items.

I was excited at first because I saw that I could go around freeing slaves and the more I freed, the more stuff I could have access to; bigger machetes, etc. But I also assumed that, in the end, I would be leading the slave revolt of Haiti and that more freed slaves meant a larger group to lead. But that never happened. Freeing slaves, while morally great, was nothing more than a tool for material gain and nothing more. I really think the developers missed the boat on that part of the game.
  2. Jan 18, 2014
    It'll serve you good if you're looking out for more of the Assassin's Creed Black Flag formula and for a refreshing topic that is seldom touched upon in video games: slavery, but if you're looking out for an experience that pays off in the end, save your money. The soundtrack is really nice, however. Yes, Freedom Cry is a decent piece of DLC, but it offers nothing to the AC canon besides providing an insight into Adewale's story. Just don't expect anything mindblowing in the end. Expand
  3. Dec 26, 2013
    Nice addition to the single player although locking you out of main sequences used to extended the game. The add on is still fun but way too short for the story itself. Around 3-4 hours to complete. 7/10.
  4. Aug 2, 2014
    This was a pile-o-crap that was made to play into some libtard play. The game "Black Flag" was an amazing play but "Freedom Cry" was total crap with little to do with any accurate history of slavery. Fact is that owning a slave was just like owning a car and when you are not happy with a car you would trade it....not harm it! I did not enjoy this because it was not a real story but more of a "Free slaves from the evil white men" type of play, with not one bit of truth to it. To me it seems to feed the hate of races and did nothing to help inform anyone. Expand
  5. Mar 3, 2014
    It is a good game add-on here is what I think.

Pros:
    Good story, nice gaphics, great development.

Cons:
    small, short in length, and just not reaching the hyped potential
  6. Mar 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Eh, I wouldn't say that it was worth $10 to download but it wasn't particularly awful either. The story in itself is standalone, so if you're expecting any loose ends from Black Flag to be tied up here in Freedom Cry you might want to save yourself the trouble. Ade makes a few mentions of Kenway and you do go on a diving mission to visit the wreckage of Jackdaw, but that's about it as far as Black Flag references go. The premise of this DLC is to liberate slaves from oppression, and it does so using gameplay elements identical to those implemented in Black Flag. Ade moves, fights, swims and climbs just as Edward Kenway did as though you are using the same player with a different skin. The Experto Crede sails and battles in an identical manner as the Jackdaw once had. There truly isn't anything new aside from Ade using a Machete and Blunderbuss as his main weapons as opposed to Kenway's Rapier/Pistol combination. You can also throw Firecrackers as a means to distract guards, but there is quite literally only one instance in which they are absolutely essential.

Black Flag was a good game in my opinion, so with Freedom Cry being so very similar I cannot give it any lower than a 6. As I said, it's a nice 3 hour extension to the main game, but absolutely not worth the monetary investment. If you truly are adamant about the story, I would advise that you watch the cutscenes online. Gameplay-wise Freedom Cry brings nothing new to the table, at all.
  7. Feb 17, 2014
    Whilst this DLC may be lacking in the amount of time it takes to complete, there's no doubt that Freedom Cry is a very solid DLC. Freeing slaves around the game world gives you personal satisfaction, and the environment detail is as good as it was in the full game, much like the voice acting. I would recommend waiting until the second DLC comes out, and if it stacks up better than Freedom Cry, purchase the Season pass so that you can get both of them for a cheaper price. Expand
  8. Feb 19, 2014
    Although it may have a great story line, great detail in character, the world is not that big as the main game. As well, you have limited of the options to make. As well, the story is sometimes vague. But it does not lack the adventure and the stealth missions. And there is no "run and stab" missions, which is repeated a lot in the other games. The voice acting is well done. Additionally, whenever I see a slave trying to escape, it makes me want to stop what I am doing and save the slave. This game is well done and it could have been better if the story was well more set and the world was much bigger. Expand
  9. Jul 15, 2014
    What Freedom Cry does well is that it delievers more of Black Flag. Sure Ubisoft could have made a lot better and a lot more with the content but in the purpose of having some more entertaining missions to play out it does well. With the major technical issues however my score drops down to a 6. Until (if ever) Ubisoft fixes the constant freezing I recommend players to get the content as DLC rather than the stand-alone version. Expand
  10. Mar 13, 2014
    It is lamentable that Ubisoft, in making one of the first games focusing entirely or intently on the Atlantic slave-trade, decided upon a such a gormless story. While Adewale may be an engaging protagonist he is certainly no Django or Solomon Northup, and literally every other character in 'Freedom Cry' is either inanely stereotypical or insufficiently fleshed out.

This is especially
    disappointing as the game's developers appear to have had everything at their disposal to tell a more captivating and engaging story; perhaps even something that might resemble "Django Unchained: The Video Game" were it ever made.

The gameplay itself is almost indistinguishable from that seen in 'Black Flag' and the major addition to the player's arsenal -- the 'blunderbluss' -- is utterly, obscenely, unrealistically overpowered. That's not to say that the gameplay is bad or boring, but gamers who have already spent 25 hours on 'Black Flag' will find that the experience is almost indiscernible from the original title.
  11. Mar 18, 2014
    It have a good history , good protagonist, and you have a shotgun! And they hice you rewards for help slaves
    But it isn't too large and the world isn't very big But i recomend

1. Jan 14, 2014
    Adéwalé has his moments, but the real draw here is in the expansion of free-form gameplay both on land and at sea, meaning Freedom Cry succeeds at what it set out to do.
    Despite its issues, both technical and philosophical, I'm giving Freedom Cry a “must play” rating. I think it's an important start in tackling such a difficult and tragic topic via the medium of interactive entertainment.
    Freedom Cry is simply a great addition to an excellent game, offering a story worth experiencing across a setting worth exploring.