7.8

1. Nov 15, 2013
    much much improved than last year's edition,the vast open world and lush islands are marvels to watch upon and experience.Ubisoft should win next gen with its open world game imo
  2. Nov 18, 2013
    Let me first say that I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise and have no problem with annual releases. That being said, this may be my favorite in the series yet! Ezio from AC2 is an incredible character, but our new assassin Edward is equally impressive and a joy to play with. Never has the world felt so alive and rich with things to see and do. Travelling around the open seas in sunny weather with the wind at your back, or battling the raging waves in a storm while engaged in a heart pounding navel battle in your ship never gets old.

The stealth and melee gameplay is as tight as ever, but my only minor complaint is I wish Ubisoft would have gave our assassin the ability to duck at will. There are plenty of character and ship upgrades to keep you looking for resources through most of the game (think Farcry 3), a cool mini game where you send your fleet out to trade resources, underwater exploration, and tons of side quests.

The PS4 version looks beautiful! While not a true next-gen title there are lots of added effects for your eyes to enjoy. Weather and lighting are much improved, foliage is more dense and reacts to wind more realistic, improved framerate and draw distance, and many other subtle things to improve an already amazing looking game. So do yourself a favor if you enjoy action and adventure, pirate and assassin's, go out and buy this game now! If you don't like the Assassin's Creed series then you may want to rent it first, but there's a chance you may end up enjoying it.
  3. Nov 17, 2013
    This game looks absolutely amazing and excels with the sheer sense of scope. Giving this a 10 to counter some of the frankly absurd 0s that I have been seeing. To rate this a 0 takes a troll of the highest caliber and likely someone who has never actually played the game. If you do not like this game fine, but to say its not a well crafted and enjoyable game seems bizarre to me. My favorite setting of all Assassin's creed games hands down. They have captured the Caribbean in a way that I wouldn't have thought possible and the share feature of the PS4 has been put to great use with one stunning vista after another. Expand
  4. CNS
    Nov 15, 2013
    This game is amazing. it took everything i loved about AC2 and AC3 and combined it into a very good game. the side missions and collectibles will make you spend hours with this game, especially if you want those trophies.
  5. Nov 17, 2013
    This game is the best assassins creed game to date. Very addictive. Awesome story and great gameplay. Graphics look superb on ps4. This is my favorite game this year so far for any system.
  6. Nov 22, 2013
    If you had mixed feeling about AC3 this game will make up for all of that as it is consistent and had fun and challenging missions. Out of the gate AC4 opens with a bang and that bang is consistently felt all through the game
  7. Nov 19, 2013
    The most fun I've had with a game in a long time. The story isn't the most strong in the series, but there's so much fun content here that the story is almost the side show. I rarely write my impressions on a game, but I just absolutely had to share how impressed I am with this one.
    Black Flag's naval combat is stellar. You've got so many options on how to raid, board and decimate enemy
    ships that it doesnt get boring. Great stealth sections, lots of choice on how to tackle missions, optional outer animus sections, great voice acting and even better music, this is the definitive AC experience; and when playing on ps4 it's even more easy to appreciate the amount of work that has gone into the graphics. Expand
  8. Nov 27, 2013
    Though the story may not be as epic Assassins Creed 4 has very very good game play and still a strong story to completely immerse you in its beautiful environment
  9. Mar 19, 2014
    Brilliant game and brilliant story.

Once again main criticism is around the trophies as a number are unachievable as I don't know many people with PS4 and none of them have Black Flag.
  10. Dec 7, 2013
    I some how manage to always play the yearly iteration of Assassins Creed games (gifts, bargain bin, borrow from friends etc.) and never find myself particular impressed by them solid 7/10 experiences.

Black Flag, however, is not only an amazing AC game, it's an amazing game in general and strong contender for game of the year. One of the best open-world games I've played and simply a
    fantastic Pirate game.

I bought GTA5 and Black Flag at the same time and have been playing Black Flag exclusively. So far, my top games of the year are Last of Us and Black Flag. It even feels odd putting an Assassins Creed game in my top games of the year, but it really is a fantastic game all the gameplay mechanics are improved, the story is far more cohesive, and the world is vast and beautiful. Sure, your still doing a lot of the same tasks and side missions, but they somehow aren't drudge-fest like previous games due to the minor gameplay tightening. Even fighting carries the risk of dying this time around (if you don't upgrade your health).
  11. Nov 25, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who likes open world games. It looks incredible on the PS4 and plays great. I had so much fun hunting down all the treasures and playing the side missions and assassination contracts! The companion app is a lot of fun as well and a great way to earn extra in-game money. The multi-player is a lot of fun and requires strategy and planning but is fairly easy to pick up and learn only after a few hours of online play. Hope this helps! Expand
  12. Nov 28, 2013
    Possibly the greatest singleplayer game that I've played in a VERY long time. I've been a PC gamer for quite a while, and bought into the PS4 hype. Although, this game does look very pretty on the PS4 considering the low specs.

This is my first Assassin's Creed game, and probably NOT my last!
  13. Nov 26, 2013
    This is the best AC game. Sailing in the Jackdaw and attacking other ships is AMAZING! It really helps to break up some of the monotonous/annoying AC gameplay like stalking/following/eavesdropping. Combat is awesome. Plus this game is absolutely beautiful. I wish this was a new IP though. I don't know how they can top this while keeping in the AC universe.
  14. Nov 16, 2013
    Ubisoft has made some vast improvements over their assassins creed franchise this go round. Not only in the graphics(which are obviously the best on the next gen consoles and gorgeously so.) but in almost everything involving the presentation of the story/gameplay. From the start of the game you jump right into action and almost immediately are allowed to go wherever you want. The action is free flowing as all the other ACs and combat feels responsive but has some clunks with bad parrys.

I'm not gonna lie I hated AC3. I couldn't get sucked into it I feel like the story was way too far out there. the first few hours of it were so tedious and running around in the giant woods felt more like a task than a great adventure. Having the Caribbean as your playground was the best decision they could've made. The islands themselves are small making doing the various tasks on them less daunting, but being able to sail yourself from island to island gives the sandbox feel a hugely realistic sense to it.

I really love the protagonist in black flag as well, really fits the description of what a real pirate is and not what you'd read in peter pan. The abstergo/animus angle has been really well done also. No longer are you pulled obnoxiously out of the immersed world you're trying to assassinate to go run around in the "present day" and do some sci-fi stuff. I always thought it was a cool idea that you're not really in the past but controlling an avitar of sorts but was never really produced well. It's not really a spoiler since you learn it in the first 5 minutes of the game but Abstergo is now an entertainment corporation and you are part of a research team to test a new IP that they are trying to create using the animus machine. Abstergo goes on to say that they are the reason behind the assassins creed games and even tie into liberation right off the bat. It feels great but you can definitely get the jist that something might be up with them.

Anyway, don't let the haters who couldn't afford new consoles or got ones that didn't work so their taking their rage out on the internet deter you. this game is definitely worth a play through even if you absolutely hated assassins creed 3(i know i did!)
  15. Feb 28, 2014
    I am a big fan of Assassin's Creed franchise: Assassin's Creed - awesome game,which everyone needs to play! Assassin's Creed 2 - even better,with better graphics,story(and subtitles) Brotherhood - great atmosphere and story,awesome as 2 Revelations - not so good as the others,but still it is awesome III - this is the biggest disappointment from Ubisoft I've ever saw - the story was boring most of the time,the characters weren't so good, the atmosphere was bad,only the combat system,the bigger world and the better graphics were good elements.
    IV - after III I was expecting a great game,because the Caribbean setting was good choice, and OMG - it is awesome like nothing before! Awesome graphics,awesome story,gigantic world to explore,smarter AI and many many other awesome things. After I saw the trailers and GamePlay videos,I was having great expectations. They weren't met - they were blown away from this awesome game. This is something,that you can't give less than 10/10!
  16. Nov 27, 2013
    This is the new installment in the AC franchise, and it definitely lived up to its hype. The open-world feel to it is stunning, and it's fun even to just sail around and explore different islands. You'll never be bored, since it's packed with so much to do, such as finding buried treasure, harpooning whales/sharks, going diving, completing assassination contracts, and much much more. Visually, the game is amazing. It's definitely a step-up from AC3, and the open-worldness adds to a sense of excitement to even just get out there and see what you can do. The sailing has definitely been improved from AC3, and it can be very fun to do. On the other hand, the game falls victim to previous games' level scenarios, such as tailing people and eavesdropping on conversations. Even though sailing can be fun, it can also get tedious, especially considering how massive the map is. Thank God for fast-traveling, though. The game is often at its best when you're on land, which isn't exactly what the developers were going for when they had an idea for an open-world pirate game where you can sail the seas. Overall, a very good game, and definitely worth a purchase. Expand
  17. Nov 19, 2013
    First off the graphics on next gen PS4 are beautiful, amazing, and unlike anything I've ever seen before. Also much better improvements with the mechanics like combat, running, climbing, and everyone's most likely favorite sailing across the Carribean seas. There is so many islands and cities and places to explore it's why I love ac4. The new character Edward is a great new character right from the beggining you start to like him. I also think La Habana, Cuba is absolutely gorgeous. Amazing graphics. A pure next gen console game.

And one more thing the new MP is great, a lot of fun and new awesome modes for all sorts of competition
  18. Nov 25, 2013
    I have been a long-time fan of the Assassin's Creed series. Black Flag does not disappoint. What I look for in a game is how long I can play it until it gets old. I'm over 20 hours in, haven't beaten it, and am still having a blast. The only downside is tailing and eavesdropping missions, and even those include the new style of stealth Ubisoft has incorporated into the game. I love the stealth system in Dishonored and Farcry 3, and Assassin's Creed IV comes close to the same level of quality. Now for the rest of the game. You will find yourself swinging from ropes and boarding ships with explosions around you, dual swords in hand, slicing up British to your heart's content. The combat has been made noticeably smoother and the same with the naval combat. There is so very little wrong with this game; it amazes me how critics take those small errors and take 20 points off of a game's score. Expand
  19. Nov 28, 2013
    I have typically been a fan of all Assassin's Creed Games, and this installment did not fail to live up to standards. This game had a surprisingly difficult naval warfare system, which was extra rewarding as you plundered an enemy ship. Sadly though, as it was difficult, there were some moments where the mechanic became so difficult I had to get off the game for a while because of how frustrated I got. Nonetheless, It was enjoyable for it's rewarding loot and weapon upgrades. As the game was very fun, I would not like to see Naval Warfare, Hunting, or guns in Assassin's Creeds in the future. They need to go back to Assassins like Altair and Ezio, in my opinion.
    Pros:
    Living to expectations
    Interesting and Intense Story line
    Surprisingly Difficult Naval warfare, unlike the last installment
    Cons:
    Frustrating Naval Warfare
    Same, counter-revolved combat system
  20. Dec 2, 2013
    The mixed reviews belie a very impressive game. It's open world is among the very best out there and the shear volume of side quests will keep you busy for months. Definitely worth picking up...
  21. Dec 17, 2013
    Nearly perfect, one of the funnest AC's yet! Definitely worth looking into. It sure has felt like an up and down roller coaster ride with these games, but this one hit a high note. Well made and super fun to play!
  22. Jul 17, 2014
    The same good typical Assassin's Creed but in new setting with great addition of new game play on the see! Good combat mechanics with reasonable stealth! One of the best game of the 2013, and is going to a contender for the Game of the year!
  23. Apr 22, 2014
    Excellent game that is beautiful and very fun to play. The naval combat gameplay is phenomenal, including its iOS app. The attention to detail is staggering and this is why I can't recommend this game enough.
  24. Mar 9, 2014
    Finally Asssassin's Creed releases a good game. Since the last game from the series that I actually enjoyed was Brotherhood, I was beginning to be a little depressed when it comes to Assassin's Creed. However, they managed to fix that with Black Flag.

The graphics are outstanding, the story is solid, and the gameplay is fresh and interesting. I was not expecting such a big change from
    them, and it was a pleasant surprise. I'm actually looking forward for the next game now. Expand
  25. Dec 9, 2013
    An absolute blast to play, but you'll have to decide how to split your time between playing Assassins Creed on land, and playing pirate at sea. I seem to wind up spending a lot of time at sea just messing around. But you wind up switching back and forth enough that things take a lot longer to get stale.
  26. Sep 1, 2014
    Epic. From the lush graphics, the fluid gameplay right down to the absorbing soundtrack. The game massive and littered with a million things to do. The characters are actually interesting and leaves you wanting to know more about them. The main protagonist is a breath of fresh air compared to previous efforts. The only downside is that in many ways it doesn't feel like an AC game. Indeed it didn't have to be. There was no need for the modern setting to even be in this game. I fear Ubisoft were worried if it didn't carry the name it might not have sold as well. I think the next incarnation of AC will go back to the more traditional style which is a shame....it does however leave some scope for a future pirate style game which I would fully embrace. Expand
  27. Aug 22, 2014
    Excellent game...had the free roam option so you can sail around and do as you please or follow story line.was not to short and had a decent story line....
  28. Feb 12, 2014
    I have played them all and I can say that - at least for me - although ACIV is more of the same it still manages to be a breath of fresh air. This game is sick! I absolutely love the pirate theme - which made me enjoy a game like Rise 2, for instance. Edward Kenway's story is very cool and interesting and he's the best assassin after Ezio; with a lot of charm and witty remarks, without mentioning his abilities as an unofficial assassin (would this be considered a spoiler?). And then there's the Caribbean sandbox... seriously, I could only play the naval part of the game and never conclude its story, really. It is that awesome. Fantastic graphics, soundtrack, gameplay, cast of characters and stuff to do. It is a perfect game of the the PS4 launch, since there are not many games available to play. You can stick with AC4 for months. It is a blast! Expand
  29. Nov 30, 2013
    Because this series has been pumping out so many consecutive installments, I was worried that AC4 was going to be a flop. I'm couldn't be happier in being proved wrong. This title brings all that you love about AC back with the brilliance of naval warfare accompanied by a fresh and clever storyline. Gone is dull Connor and in is a slick pirate with swagger who's likeable and fun as hell. The sandbox is massive and gorgeous onthe PS4! Easily the best launch title for the console and one of the series best. If only we could get Ubisoft to stop reminding us that they're French Canadian during every animus cut scene.. Expand
  30. Dec 23, 2013
    To my surprise, I am enjoying this game. I held off purchasing this before launch like I normally have done for other AC games. I thought I was finally burnt out on the series. Did not finish Revelations and was not impressed by AC3 (disappointed in Ubisoft's character development for Connor).

But I finally caved in and bought this. I can't stop playing it. It has renewed my
    interest in Assassin's Creed. More than that, I am having fun. 20hrs in, I have barely progressed in the main story because I am doing so many other things in open world. I barely touched naval combat in AC3 but in AC4 I can't stop. I purposely am avoiding fast travel to far off places just so I have an excuse to travel in my ship.

Game mechanics are the same but somehow seem smoother than previous games. I bought this on PS4 to assess improvements and maybe that is one of them.

If you love the AC series, pick this one up. If you have never played an AC game, try this out if you like open world and always wanted to be a pirate.
  31. Dec 15, 2013
    AC4 for the PS4 (and, I'm assuming, this would probably hold true for all versions) is a RARE kind of awesome. One of my top ten games of all time. If you enjoy sophisticated plots and characters, world exploration, diverse gameplay mechanics, excellent production values, and a lengthy gameplay experience, AC4 is very highly recommended. Highest possible recommendation. I don't know what Ubisoft is going to do to top this. Expand
  32. Apr 30, 2014
    This game was a ton of fun that had me addicted the entire time. I've played through it multiple times and still can't believe how like able all the characters are in this game. Edward is by far my favorite assassin with a very like able story and personality. This game is by far the best game on next gen consoles to date.
  33. Feb 6, 2014
    I played the Xbox 360 version of AC4, and I just didn't get into it that much for some reason. but then I figured I'd give AC4 another go but this time on the PS4 and all I can say is that I'm blown away by the amount of details and realism the PS4 version threw at me. the PS4 version of AC4 didn't have single issue with frame rate drops or any other problems the last gen systems had. AC4 is played in native 1080p but i'm not sure how many frames it's getting. now if only Watchdogs would just come out. Expand
  34. Feb 11, 2014
    I don't know Why this is the 1st Assassins Creed game ive played but after this Im sure it wont be my last. This may have a bearing on my outlook to the game. From the moment I put the disk in the drive I was impressed with its presentation. The UI looks fantastic and the visuals throughout the whole game are impressive.
    As im new to the series the whole Abstergo Interludes are a bit lost
    on me and I find them pointless. I gather this part of the game ties in the previous ones? (im yet to complete the game too btw so im hoping these bits have some sort of story tie in by the end of the game)
    The controls are very intuitive and you soon get the hang of controlling your ship in battles as well as the hand to hand combat.
    One other thing Im impressed with, is the companion app. So while your not playing the game on the PS4 you can earn ingame cash using Kenways fleet. You can also use it as a map while playing which is very handy while looking for buried treasure!
  35. Feb 1, 2014
    Not only this games looks very very good but also they've got incredibly close to a pillar of Assassin's Creed franchise: Assassin's Creed II. And I did definitely enjoy that developers not only had taken best part of AC3 -- sailing it is -- but also vastly improved it.
  36. Jan 14, 2014
    Το παιχνιδι ειναι υπεροχο απλα, ευτυχως δεν ειχε καμια σχεση με το απαισιο 3 και καταφεραν να μας μεταφερουν με τον καλυτερο τροπο τους πειρατες στο σπιτι μας !
  37. Dec 7, 2013
    Assassins Creed IV is developed for current generations of console, so dont expect to see a life like graphics, its just expanded for Next Gen console.
    ACIV does a good job in forming an open world game, wonderful world and nice to explore the environments and it does feel different other than other AC series, gameplays is awesome....although some parts are little boring due to the lack
    of detail in story or being too cliché at times. but overall gameplay is really fun.
    in terms of graphics it does look better on PS4, firstly that it runs on native 1080p, its a solid 30FPS, better texture work, nice plantation also in terms of physics they are much better, a more wonderful sea, better rain effects, improved perspectives and finally a really nice Rain effect and more smoke effects are some of the next gen improvements.
    if you are thinking should you pick up this for your PS3 or PS4 i would say it is a really good choice to pick it up fro ps4 and you will not be disappointed.
  38. May 13, 2014
    Story:
    You play as Edward Kenway, the father of Haytham Kenway and Grandfather of Connor Kenway. You've left your home of England to pursue the almighty coin. One day, your ship crashes and after a series of events (involving the Templars of course), you wind up stealing a ship with the help of some prisoners, and you end up escaping from a naval fleet in the middle of a storm. I was
    surprised by how good the story was. Like its predecessors, the story's timeline lasts a few decades and throughout the story, you really see a change in Edward as his goals change, his friends interfere with his goals, and as he's hunted down by Templars. The dialogue is very well written with a nice "pirate-y" flavor added to it. Edward's friends are really entertaining to watch, and some of them are famous historical pirates (Blackbeard, Charles Vane, Bonnie, etc.). I'll also say that there are some death scenes here that really got to me due to how they were well executed with the music and atmosphere. I also thought that the ending was really heartwarming and emotional due to how you've developed a relationship with Edward and after everything he's been through. Unfortunately, since I haven't played AC2 yet (I plan on doing so in the future), I can't say if this is the best AC story ever made, but it's pretty close to that title. 10/10

Gameplay:
    The biggest new addition to AC4's gameplay is the emphasis on naval combat (No longer a side activity like in AC3). You get your own ship called the Jackdaw, which you use for traveling, combat, and for exploration. This is the 1st time that an AC game actually encourages exploration since the map is pretty large and there are so many islands, ancient ruins, and military camps to discover and loot, Actual wildlife to hunt and craft character upgrades for (just like in Far Cry 3) in both land and sea, and old ship wreaks to dive into and search for gold and ship upgrades. There are also forts that you can assault to reveal all locations in a certain area on your world map. These forts range, from easy, normal, and hard so you'll have to upgrade your ship if you want to stand a chance against some of the harder forts. the last new pirate-y feature Ubisoft added were 4 "legendary ships". Think of these as Raid Bosses from Borderlands 2 as they're really tough to sink, have special unrealistic abilities, and offer you 20,000 gold each, as well as a special ability you unlock if you sink all of them. Once you're on land, things slow down. The combat is still the same, easy, attack and block sequence from AC3, all the side activities from previous AC games (viewpoint syncing, treasure collecting, searching for documents and letters, upgrading your hideout, etc.) return, and the wanted system returns, but only for naval combat. A few new things were added for when you're on foot: No more notoriety, new taverns to unlock by beating up a bunch of drunk idiots (literally), new treasure maps which are fun to do, and new shanties to discover so your crew can sing to you while you're out at sea. The naval combat has been improved from AC3. Once you got the right upgrades, you can become deadly out on the open seas. You fire your main cannons from the side of your ship, you can ram from the front, use mortars for long range combat, use more powerful cannon balls for close range, and use barrels to set traps while you're fighting. Once you've nearly destroyed a ship, you can sink it for half loot (needed for $ and ship upgrades), or board it, complete a few minor objectives, and kill X amount of sailors to get full loot and more crew members. Even though my crew couldn't kill anyone, it was still fun to board a ship to steal all of its loot and treasure. You still have all the stealth parts of an AC game, and the forgettable modern day segments (different now that Desmond's gone), but aside from that, the gameplay is fun and adds a nice breath of fresh air with its new pirate elements (we REALLY need a good and new pirate game soon). 9/10

Graphics:
    This game looks and runs great on PS4, the lighting and textures are great, the character models are updated, and the water motions (especially during a storm) are well made. This by far the best looking AC game out there right now. 9/10

Sound:
    All the crew shanties sound like actual shanties, the score is good, and the environmental sounds are solid. 8/10

Multiplayer:
    Same as AC3. If you liked AC3's multiplayer, you'll like this ones. If you didn't like it, you're out of luck (The mode creator doesn't add much new content). 7/10

Verdict:
    Many people who've played AC2 said this was the 2nd best AC game ever made, and since there're aren't that many PS4 games out right now, go ahead and pick up a copy of this game, unless you don't care about pirate games. If Ubisoft keeps this up, then maybe the AC franchise has a chance to make a comeback after 2 disappointing games.

Rating: 9/10
  39. Apr 13, 2014
    The Assassin´s Creed IV: Black Flag review

Are ya ready kids! Aye aye Captain Kenway!
    Ow yeah.
    Well, as I went through this game there was no stopping my exploration needs. Every ten square meter island I saw and every shore with those badass flamingos flying around was an instant stop for my wave cruising ride called “The Jackdaw”. This curiosity that I had for the map was fueled by
    the enormous work that went into the creation and detail of the sea and its little islands as well as the inland jungle. Previous games had big cities as their main location but now, as well as having a few of these; the creators have gifted you with a whole ocean for traversing. The movement and the character that the sea shows are beautiful as well as dangerous as this bastard throws you some nasty storms some times. Another added feature aside from the open world sea exploring were the diving sequences which are actually quite a few. I had some trouble with these as the mechanics aren´t all that perfect and I kept going nose first into those damn sea urchins. But aside from the clumsiness (that is expected from any underwater levels) it manages to handle them with the awe of seeing the depth of the ocean, man! Goosebumps!
    Ship boarding and fort taking are some cool mechanics that the game also offers and they serve the fleshing out of the characters as well as random unscripted cinematic action sequences which make you feel like a badass.
    Speaking of cinematic sequences I loved the ones that Ubisoft created for us. Of course, they are scripted but nothing beats a pirate running across a swamp, with rain pouring on him and crocodiles snap at his legs. They give you some cool camera movements too!
    Before mentioning the awesome moment that completed my love for this game I will address some negatives about it. One being the free run mechanics which in some important mission points just decided that should just stop hang completely motionless from a rooftop and have a little chat with the local rooftop cat. These moments have been present since the dawn of the Assassin´s Creed games and it would be very pleasing if they could be corrected in the future. My other problem with it is that some cutscenes and story moments felt rushed at times. I can understand this as the game is more focused in ambience and exploration but some felt lacking some character.
    I think the negative argument from above would have been less noticeable had the other cutscenes not been so freaking awesome and gorgeously made. The takes are amazingly done (sometimes) and some dialogue in some the cutscenes really stood out for me, Blackbeard´s speech for example. But there is one cutscene, one that makes this game rule over every other AC games. SPOILER ALERT.
    The final cutscene isn´t something you see every day. And I say this because it could have ended with whatever short cutscene featuring Edward going away. But the way it managed to use all the weight of the things you experienced through this adventure and use that amazing shot of all the people that had an impact in your journey was magical. It didn´t matter if the relationships with some of them didn´t end well but they impacted the journey in a positive way, and that kind of nostalgia can only be achieved in a cutscene if it uses, like I mentioned, the weight of all those hours playing that game. That my friends, is masterful.
    Maybe it was the music or the nostalgia that swallowed me whole in that moment or seeing Edward smile as he sees his daughter, but that cutscene in general hit me pretty bad, in a good way because I wasn´t expecting something that heavy!
    In conclusion this game, while suffering from some technical issues, is amazing. It stands out in some many ways not previously explored by some AC games and it totally achieves greatness. This game deserves one special spot on your shelve. I am giving it an astounding 9 out of 10!

Be sure to check my blog where I post reviews like this one: http://thechannelofawesome.blogspot.mx/
  40. Jul 12, 2014
    Without a doubt my personal favorite in the Assassin's Creed series! I've always been fascinated with lives and times of pirates since I was a kid, so much like Red Dead Redemption this game is a love letter to someone like me! The lead character is a lovable picture perfect pirate and the story is very interesting with many awesome levels and twists that I don't think you'll see coming! I enjoyed this game very much last year on the Playstation 3 and I'm enjoying it even more this time around with the enhanced graphics of the Playstation 4! Everything is rendered with the most detail you could imagine, everything so little as water splashing on the deck of your ship or the leave of a push brushing against your body as you move through it you will find it very hard to develop a complaint against this game, not only in the graphics department but the game as a whole! Expand
  41. Feb 26, 2014
    I just can't imagine that assassin's creed 4 could be so awesome,The first time i saw the trailer,i say:oh pirates,is there any good to sail in the sea??not gonna lie,assassin's creed 3 is a huge disappointed for me,I love american revolution history but AC 3 is so not a sandbox game,more like a pure action game,which i hate it,but AC 4 ,thankfully,it's a real sandbox game!you can do whatever you want,sank the loyal ship,do the assassinate contract for money,as for money,you can use it to upgrade the ship! that's the most gorgeous thing for me!!! after all,I can't imagine that i love pirates life in AC 4 so so much! because i'm not a real pirates fun before!! and that's one of the reason that why i hesitate to pick it up at the beginning,but now i feel so lucky to have it,and i think it‘'s the best initial next-gen game! if you own a PS4 ,you like sandbox game,you are a history fun,don't hesitate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  42. Jan 5, 2014
    i had hopes fore ac4 but this is not what i expectid wow.
    finally a great pirate game a great charecthers and good music.
    a realy great story and ship gameplay just taking down ships is amezing.
    the only thing is they need a new combat then this game wil be even better.
  43. Dec 29, 2013
    The PS4 graphics are beautiful, both when your in 1715 sailing the seas and exploring island and when your in present day overlooking the city.

The story is great and this is one of my favorite games of 2013, surprising considering I played and never liked Assassins Creed. The pirate them is amazing for the game.
  44. Apr 21, 2014
    Loved the game played till i got 100% the games open world of the seas made you fell like a pirate. Also the other characters in the game had lots of different personality. fishing ,finding, treasure, upgrading your guy, an your boat, going into woods to hunting are all really fun to do. Movement in the game was really easy to manipulate so is the combat sneaking and boat battles. things i did not like was going on the land and exploring because there was not much land to explore on. Expand
  45. Dec 9, 2013
    no Abstergo mumbo jumbo, and a few repetitive missions striped away and this game is a masterpiece as a pirate game on it's own! definitely my favourite from the whole AC franchise.
  46. Dec 23, 2013
    ACIV: Black Flag is by far my favorite entry in the franchise, and I'm looking forward to continuing the game withe DLC. The game was stunning to look at and the story was great. The only drawbacks I felt the game had were the redundancy of certain missions, and no variety of options to obtain items needed for upgrades.

Overall ACIV is a fantastic game.
  47. Dec 23, 2013
    I wanted to wait until I finished this game before writing anything, and so I have. It took me from launch day until late December, but I have collected every animus fragment and finished the story. And It. Was. Glllllorious. A nearly perfect open world sandbox pirate game, with everything you liked about Assassin's Creed games, with the best character and best story so far.
  48. Apr 26, 2014
    When I reviewed this game for the PS3 I loved it, But I told that Black Flag did not have enough to do, But after playing this game on PS4 for 5 months now, I am able to say that Black Flag was a experience, It has lot of stuff to do and is just fun, AC4 has a brilliant main character, Edward along with Ed Thatch, Adawale, James Kidd and others create a story which is centered around money, It never takes itself seriously, Gameplay is fun and you spend a lot of time upgrading the Jackdaw which is your ship and buy all sorts of weapons and outfits, However the true problem with AC games still stands, Which are these annoying main missions which involve tailing, Eavesdropping and assassinating, The missions have moderate variety and I hope they innovate with that soon enough, Nonetheless AC4 is amazing, a game that will make you come back to it very often and a game that I would recommend it to anyone ! 9/10 !!! Expand
  49. Nov 17, 2013
    Its a good game a sign of things to come, best launch Tittle for the ps4. Its a very fun game the only knock I have is I wish there was more control on the stealth aspect of the game.
  50. Feb 27, 2014
    I wasn't expecting much after playing 3 but holy **** was this an amazing game. The story and characters are absolutely amazing and the gameplay is nice and fluid. The game looks absolutely beautiful as well. It's bright and colorful. The navy combat is probably (for me at least) the best part of the game. In all honesty this should of GOTY 2013 instead of GTA V
  51. Jul 13, 2014
    Easily the best game in the Assassin's Creed franchise. After the low that was Assassin's Creed 3, I think most fans can agree that we were worried about the next AC being a disappointment, as well.

Connor was probably the most disliked AC character to date, with his monotone, mediocre voice-acting and overall dull "must do right" character.

Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a
    much lighter tone to the franchise, akin to Jack Sparrow.

The story is great. The combat, crafting, free-running and everything else has all been revamped. I bought this game the day it came out and it has quickly become my favorite Assassin's Creed.
  52. Dec 26, 2013
    Graphics: Amazing, some of the best on next gen, but still not. 9.5.

Sound: Amazing soundtrack, great voice acting. 10.

Gameplay: The game mixes in elements from the old AC games but adds in a ton of “sea gameplay”. In this game you get to sail the seas as a pirate plunder ships for treature/materials, the ship gameplay has been advanced from AC3. The majority of the game
    takes place on the sea and the game is actually made difficult. For example you need to plunder ships to upgrade your jackdaw ship to continue on the sequences so they’re not as tough. The games multiplayer is similar to the previous games, but it is still very fun and addicting, although I felt AC3 wasn't as glitchy. The singleplayer also has issues connecting to uplay servers, making it a pain for those that want to access the in-game fleet, or those hoping to get annoying trophies like sharing is caring. Typical UBI-Glitch for ya. The game is good the features are glitchy. 9.

Story: The story is great, and the new character Edward is likeable more than Connor to most, he will feel like the character with charm, and gives the game the right balance it needed for a while. The story unfolds in a predictable way, but also this game does not feel like an AC game and could have been a standalone pirate game. The out of animus story never really progresses, leaving more cliffhangers and disappointments. Average story. 7

Replay Value: Tons of stuff no doubt. The game itself can take from 12-20 hours to complete plus there’s multiplayer, and tons of collectibles/side missions. 10.

Overall Score: 9.1 out of 10.
  53. Nov 22, 2013
    I have found my time in the West Indies to be a more fun and open experience than I ever thought it would be in my return to the series. While I have logged over 70 hours across two different platforms I rarely felt like I was aimlessly adrift. The creators do a good job giving you the tools you need to start enjoying the world and then turning you loose. They have distilled the previous iterations of the series into a more expansive, refined and adventurous game.

There are some things I would have liked to see a bit more polished. While movement is good overall, there were times where I felt it was lacking (usually when falling to my "death" or chasing after someone). Also, like most open world games there are some small glitches or exploits you could abuse if you so choose. Finally, while I enjoyed the story line overall, I felt that the pirate theme could have stood on it's own and the "Assassin's Creed" parts were a bit shoe-horned. It wasn't glaring or a big issue just something I felt while playing.

Next Gen versus current gen:
    At first I didn't notice a big change, as I was looking at character models looked, clothing etc. While you could tell a difference it wasn't glaring, then I started to really play the game. While subtle, the changes aren't small. The biggest change is the draw distance and clarity at range. Where before you could tell there was a soldier off in the distance, now you can see him clearly.You can tell what weapon(s) he has, direction he's facing etc. The world as a whole is much more clear and moves more naturally, especially I noted the water, explosions and smoke.

Black Flag has a few flaws but it's a lush and vibrant world where I was able to have some pretty incredible adventures.
  54. Nov 25, 2013
    Assassins Creed 4 was definitely a pleasant surprise for me this year, and on next gen it looks beautiful. I won't dwell on the graphics too long, but the next gen versions look stunning. It may be early in the next gen life cycle, and still not be miles ahead of the current gen versions, but the difference is noticeable.

I have played all the Assassin's Creed games, and the sheer
    amount of things to do in this game, from plundering and boarding ships, assassination contracts, finding relics, exploring the sea and acting like a bad ass pirate, and just traversing the world doing a bunch of other mini side quests( which are actually really, really fun this time!) is astounding! I have never had this much fun playing an Assassin's Creed game.

Now for the story. The story is a fun change of pace from the rest of the series, and unlike other critics this does not disappoint me. The story focuses on more of your life as a pirate stuck in the middle of the Assassin-Templar feud, and this tends to get amusing and is quite enjoyable playing both sides and showing them who's boss, in badass assassin-pirate style!

This is my first review so I am going to keep it really short.

Thanks for reading, hope you like the game!
  55. Dec 19, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag is a very well made game. I enjoyed it very much and would rank it in my personal top 10 games of all time.
    Being from Devon, England where Sir Francis Drake was born the whole pirate/privateer culture is really appealing to me. I think Ubisoft has done a tremendously good job at incorporating so many controls on one controller. The storyline is pretty good
    despite *you* not being Desmond Miles. There are some moving moments too, not something you would expect from a pirate game.

Some veterans of the series would complain that it isn't true to what Assassin's Creed *is*. While yes there is a huge focus on naval combat, there still is the good old climbing, assassinations, relic/collectible hunting, stalking and hand-to-hand combat.
  56. Jan 5, 2014
    Best game I've ever played, and for sure, with Captain Kenway, Ezio could finally go away. I didnt like Connor and Aveline much like Ezio, but Kenway is the best. Great game.
  57. Dec 14, 2013
    Amazing game, a great re-boot the the Assassins Creed franchise. The game still has many frustrating bits in it like poorly placed checkpoints in missions, or the lack of for that matter but taking all aspects of the game into consideration this game is amazing. The graphics look stunning in comparison to the last generation PS3/xbox. The storyline is far better than that of AC3, which as everyone knows this game is a prequel too, the game removes the majority of problems AC3 suffered from but it leavces behind many that have to be addressed by next November.

The DLC is great and I am hoping for one they keep adding single player content as the mutliplayer content, isn't worth my time as it sets impossible goals for players to reach in order to get the trophies needed, which for beginners in online mode isn't fair as you are usually paired with people much higher than you (In my case 3x higher) Multiplayer to me is were they game loses my interest as it is much the same, I would prefer them to allow players to filter matches to be placed with equally skilled players to level the playing field.

The story seems to short for me and side quests to repetitive.

Anti Aliasing is still a problem for this game like most PS4 games, which I am very disappointed with as at this stage that should be 100% eliminated.
  58. Jan 15, 2014
    If You Didnt Like Assassins Creed 3's Naval Missions You Might Think To Yourself , Why Buy This Game ? Well Here Is Why A) They Made The Naval Missions A Lot Easier And Simpler To Adapt To B) Playing As A Chris Hemsworth Look-A-Like Pirate Is Awesome C) The Graphics Look Absolutely Stunning Closest To PC You'll Get On A Home Console D) You Get Some Extra DLC For The PS4 Like Playing As Aveline From Assassins Creed Liberation , the list goes on , overall the game plays the same as the other games in the series but just looks superior and more polished it will also keep you busy long after you finish the main quest , with lots of side quests , treasures and collectibles to find , i been at it for a week and i can say it 100% upgraded on the 3rd One Expand
  59. Jan 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I definetly think it tops AClll. It's graphics look more colorful and shiny. The ships have been improved from AClll and it's a massive world to explore, find chest, challenges, letters, weapons,cargo, animal hides and much more. I did not like the story. Spoiler alert!!! What happens after the end where Edward stands with his kids because there is no part after that in the Animus where you could kill the boss finish all the hacking it dissapoints my and why is it Edward joins the Assassins at the end? Why not in the middle of the story? Expand
  60. Jan 4, 2014
    I have never really been an Assassins Creed fan partly because I was addicted to COD for so many years until now. Black Flag has got me hooked and I am thoroughly enjoying it. The graphics are beautiful and the world created feels authentic. Sunny towns, beaches and deep oceans all look magnificent on the ps4. The pirate theme adds a particular charm to the game and makes the world fun to be a part of while playing.

The ship sections are particular impressive and add a whole new style of gameplay keeping the player excited and refreshed throughout. Sometimes just sailing around listening to the crew singing sea shanties and admiring the views is enough to fill a relaxed game session. The story is intriguing and characters feel fleshed out. The protagonist Edward is fun to play as and has a big personality and good story.

The controls are fluent and work well for the most part except they can sometimes frustrate on a timed chase mission when you end up climbing down a ladder instead of scaling a roof! But these are tiny complaints. Combat is tight and works really well, learning to counter and break attacks adds skill making fights more enjoyable than just button mashing. Missions are varied and the rating system allowing you to submit a 1-5 star rating at the end of a mission seems a great way to submit feedback for Ubisoft to make future changes and improve gameplay.

The game is long and the map is massive with lots of places to explore. There is also an app I downloaded to complement the game which I would recommend to get the most from the game. I haven’t completed it yet so I’m not sure how good the ending is but I am excited to find out what happens.

This is a ps4 launch title you need in your collection.
  61. Jan 22, 2014
    Había decidido abandonar la saga Assassin Creed por tediosa y repetitiva, pero esta ultima me ha vuelto a enganchar, un juegazo del que he disfrutado como hacia tiempo que no disfrutaba.
  62. Jan 29, 2014
    I have played the first Assassin's Creed and it was pretty good. I played the second one and I couldn't get into it. Didn't even try the third one. When I got the PS4 I bought a couple games and one of them was this one. I am so happy I chose this game, it is so good. I like being a pirate and like that it's based in the Caribbean. The missions are pretty fun and the graphics are pretty good. I'm surprised the total score is only 7.8 it's worth more then that! Expand
  63. Apr 9, 2014
    I first played the first assasin's creed and never really got in to it. I found the game and story uninteresting. I took a chance on ACIV when I bought my PS4 and I'm very pleased that I did. I have been playing this on and off for around 5 months now and I still enjoy it, even without touching multiplayer. This is a great game with an engaging storyline and tons of side activities to do.
  64. Feb 20, 2014
    Simply put, this game is amazing but has some places where it can make this Amazing game even greater. The storyline is very immersive and lengthy and features a great and authientic cast of characters. The map is HUGE and the locations all based of real life areas. There are many things that add to the replayability of this game: harpooning, hunting, assassin contracts, exploring, hunting down ships,a unique multiplayer mode and many, MANY more.

The ship you have under your command is called the Jackdaw and is an integral part of the game. It is almost like a 2nd main character. It can be upgraded with things such as better broadside cannons, mortars, swivel guns, rams, hull strength, harpooning equipment and more. It's looks can also be customized (the sails, figureheads, wheels,etc.) The ship feels realistic to sail over the beutiful waters (which over time become wavy and relaxed or stormy). The ship feels as though it has a realistic amount of weight. The water is also beutifully built and is highly realistic expecially during storms. The main character Edward Kenneway is likeable and also can be customized quite a bit (guns, outfits, swords, blowdarts,etc). You can sail the open seas and combat random ships (different areas of the map have varying ship strengths). And plunder their loot then you have 3 options.
    1. Repair the jackdaw
    2. Wanted level -1
    3. Add to fleet.

The cities feel authentic and you can gamble, hire dancers, hire bodyguards, drink till your drunk and the cities feel lively such as people doing jobs talking walking around playing music and more.

The fleets are amazing and the gameplay amazing.

2 bad parts.

Melee combat can be improved and i wish the ships had more varying loot (i.e. ships carrying oranges from Florida and tobacco, grain, corn,etc) it would make it more believable also i wish you could explore OUTSIDE of the cities when not on water.

Should I buy? If you have patience and time to burn YES this game is very good though it is quite long so be prepared. Also the 1st few hours may feel uncaptivating but past that point it is a truly GREAT GEM.

7.5/10- GRAPHICS
    9/10- Storyline
    8.5/10- Gameplay.
    10/10- Length & replayability
    10/10- Soundtrack
    9/10- Overall
  65. Feb 20, 2014
    This was my first ever AC game, and it was amazing.

Only thing I dislike is the need to add a trophy that requires you to spend countless hours grinding online to lvl 55 or I would of given it a 10.
  66. Feb 22, 2014
    When ubisoft boasted 70 unique locations in assassins creed black flag i couldn't help but feel a bit sceptical after the previous game in the series which did anything but impress, but this time they wernt lying, from uncharted islands to large cities, shipwrecks and forts there is so much to do in this game. You play as Edward Ken way a pirate exploring the Caribbean sea as you please, this sense of freedom along with the revised combat system and improved naval battles shows ubisofft can still make good assassins creed games. Plundering ships and hearing your crew sing authentic pirate shanties are highlights but this is still an assassins creed game and so eavesdropping and tailing is a common diversion this is why i could not give this game a higher score. Assasins creed 4 comes packing with a multilayer mode which is interesting at best but always filled with tense competitiveness. This game is a must buy on next gen with features such as touch pad interaction with maps exclusively for PS4 and improved graphics for both next gen devices compared to the ps3 and xbox 360 counterparts. Expand
  67. Feb 26, 2014
    Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag is the PS4 game that I have enjoyed the most. Everything about is is fun. From plundering unsuspecting ships, to jumping from rooftop to rooftop, taking out your assassin contracts. The sailing mechanics in this game are easily the best out there. Why? Because its simple and straightforward. The handling you have over your ship is completely determined by how fast your going, if you are just prowling the waters at a slow pace, you will have precision control over where you turn. But if your just sailing away at full speed, you will find yourself turning right, then left, then a little more right, and the a little left again to get to the trajectory you want to be at. Fighting other ships is another big part of the game. There are so many ways enemy ships will try and sink you, and so many defensive strategies you will need to develop. Smaller ships will try and shoot you down from an angel where you can't shoot them, where bigger ships will just try and ram into you at full speed. There are many ways to play as a pirate, and i guarantee you will enjoy all of them. One of the only complaints I have about this game is the voice acting. It just never seems to be right. The voices will often times merge to the point where you won't be able to hear who's talking, sometimes you will need to strain to hear the characters talk over the crash of waves, and other times there voices will come booming through your television way louder than usual. This, however, does not deteriorate from the actual game play at all. The combat is still balanced, with swords, pistols, and poisoned darts that you can use to overcome your enemies, and awesome stealthy assassinations that you can perform to take a single person out quietly. Overall, AC4 is a very good game, and is the one I have enjoyed the most on my PS4 so far. Expand
  68. Jun 9, 2014
    This is how I like my games. A good plot, awesome main characters, spot on gameplay. A massive improvement from AC3, I might add. The repetitive side missions, frustrating island hopping and (rarely) annoying controls take away the one point. The immersion, the fun and everything I expect of a proper game are there. More, please.
  69. Mar 18, 2014
    At first I wasn't that thrilled with the game, but after sitting and getting used to it I have played it for hours upon hours. The game is addicting and entertaining. This has to be my favorite AC of the series. I love the ship combat and game play. Great game. I can't wait to see what they do next!
  70. Apr 28, 2014
    This game is one of the best launch titles for PS4! The open world is a gorgeous and fun place to do anything! You can take down naval forts, complete assassin contracts, Templar missions, go hunting, or just do some sightseeing! There's plenty for everyone here! The story is pretty interesting, with a heart warming twist at the end. Overall a must buy!
  71. May 4, 2014
    This game is such a masterpiece that after months of release, sometimes i m still playing it just for sailing in the open seas and watch for environment in Havana. It makes you feel like a pirate captain and gives you the chance being a master assassin in an amazing world.

The not-so-good part is the main storyline i think because it is not exciting to be an anonymous worker roaming in
    an abstergo office. After playing with Desmond Miles with his breath-taking history, i found these parts boring. Expand
  72. May 20, 2014
    Pros: - Stealth gameplay is much better. I didn't even mind the "follow" missions. - Awesome naval gameplay. there's a lot to stuff to do on the sea. - abstergo story ties in to other assassin's creed games and the overall theme sort of makes sense. - the main story of Kenway is good. I identify much more with Kenway because I really don't care about assassins like him. - lots of things to do and there's a lot of variety with missions.
    - really like the darts, guns, some bombs

Cons:
    - most of the locations are quite similar to each other.
    - combat feels like button mashing
    - collectibles (treasures) are useless. They mostly exist to make the game look like there's a lot of stuff to do. just ignore them.
  73. May 24, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is one of the best Assassin's Creed games yet. Gameplay is improved and more fluid, graphics are amazing (both on current and last gen), story is one of the best and engrossing. The part of this game that really shines is the world. The game takes place in a lush, colorful, and lively interpretation of the 18th century Caribbean (Nassau, Kingston and Havana are the three main cities). The world feels lived in and large. In addition to the three main cities, dozens of fully accessible islands are also at the players disposal. Lots of collectables and treasure are sure to keep you occupied after finishing the game. Naval combat is pushed upon you in this game and that is not a bad thing, these naval combat sections are really entertaining. Not only do you play as a pirate in the game but there are a few sections in which you play as a present day Abstergo employee. In addition to all this, the main story is very lengthy (20+ hours). In my opinion the only real downside to this game is the multiplayer which feels like a copy and paste of the the AC3 multiplayer. Expand
  74. May 29, 2014
    Graphics: 8.8 Sound: 9.5 Gameplay: 9.2 Fun/Story: 9.2

A great game, sometimes makes me remember the beautiful Wind Waker (which is very positive). Graphics aren´t next gen at all but generally are very good and there are lots of nice places to discover. This game lasts 20-30 hours at main story and more 10-15 hours in side missions. Some tedious tailing missions and some physics erros
    should be corrected. Expand
  75. Jun 15, 2014
    black flag is not only the greatest pirate game but one of the best games of 201314 you play a character that is very different from the other assassins and this is a fresh much needed entry in the series
  76. Jul 3, 2014
    This has got to be the best game I've ever played...EVER. And I'm not a fan of assassin's creed.

You can kill, pirate, build your pirate ship and sail the high seas, find dead bodies and collect treasure maps then try to find the treasure by looking at a chalk drawing and finding matching landscapes, spear-hunt sharks and whales, deep sea skin dive and all kinds of stuff. The only
    thing you CAN'T do is drugs, although you can still go to a bar and talk to hookers (yes, you really can). Expand
  77. Jul 11, 2014
    Aaaaargh you ready for a review...get it...get it?

Anyway, this game is the best game of the series since AC2 which was hard to beat, but the world Ubisoft created in this game is near flawless. Standing on a cliff looking out over the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean or battling a rogue wave is breathtaking and we haven't even stabbed anyone yet.

The two main characters of this
    game, Edward Kenway and The Jackdaw, are both enjoyable to captain if you will. Edward is the most aloof assassin to date and rightfully so, he's a pirate and likes to drink and be merry with the rest of his brethren. Do not get me wrong, he is a badass through and through, and anytime you have more guns than hands you know everything will be alright. The Jackdaw is truly a main character in this game as you spend 50% of the time on her and leaving a path of destruction in her wake.

The gameplay is fairly standard for this series and as introduced in AC3 it is fun to be able to climb trees in this tropical paradise. The combat is par for the course for the AC series, but for me, the counter system has always been great, but I can see the argument made that it makes combat a little too simple.

The only reason I couldn't bring myself to give this game a 10 is when you are fighting a horde of enemies (Ship Boarding/Fort Battles) Edward has a hard time figuring out who to fight.

Overall, this is a must play game for the PS4 and a must own for any AC fan.

- James Von Doom
  78. Jul 16, 2014
    Amazing game. Never really been a fan of all the other Assassin's Creed games, but Black flag...
    is awesome. I give it a ten because of the amazing graphics (and still 40+ fps), exploration ability / free roam and the good old fighting style.

Great game Ubisoft. You and your games are improving a great deal.
  79. Jul 20, 2014
    Best assassin's creed.

Must buy for all gamers.
    Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.
    gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers. Expand
  80. Jul 21, 2014
    Really fun and engaging. Takes elements of all its predecessors and shapes it into something new and innovating. Glad to see the ship battles expanded and oh, so great. I devoured this game and the only two points of criticism I got is the way the end feels rushed ( okay I'll join the assassins, kill kill, the end ) and the level of repetitivity in its side missions.
    The legendary ships
    are amazing.. Expand
  81. Jul 31, 2014
    Best Assassin's Creed game since 2. Probably my most played PS4 launch game, lost to do in single player. Loses a point for having pointless Multiplayer trophies.
  82. Aug 13, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag
    Game-play:The game play is awesome i love it,ubisoft use the same techniques as AC3 but they have improve them and now is has no glitches and the dual sword play is awesome,the ship battles have also improved and you will really enjoy shooting with your cannons at the enemy
    Story:A great story with pirates,assassins and templars with well made characters
    that it will take you about 13 to 14 hours
    Graphics:I see some improvements,the game still looks amazing
    Notes:There are lot of weapons and outfits for edward and a lot customisation options for his ship,some times the characters do not appear on the screen but that is only for a few seconds,the side missions are awesome and really fun to play,the huge open world is amazing and you always have something to do there are 4 major cities in the game an lot of small places to make the world feel alive and it succeeds to do that,a must buy masterpiece
  83. Sep 10, 2014
    I played the game at launch of the Playstation 4, and it was the best launch title in my opinion. It was Assassin's Creed with exploration. Getting the chance to play as a pirate was pretty awesome. The only downfall it got pretty repetitive, but still well worth it, I put 60 hours into the single player campaign and to me that is worth it. Multiplayer though in Assassin's Creed just isn't for me, it is unique but gets boring. Expand
  84. Sep 3, 2014
    It's truly is amazing how far Ubisoft has came since the first Assassin's creed game... This game is amazing obviously, just like every other Assassin's creed game! The Characters, Graphics, Voices, Open world and everything about this game is perfect! 10/10 all the way, one of the best Next gen games so far!
  85. Sep 18, 2014
    This is a really good action, stealth and adventure game. The story is ok, but the gameplay is what really makes this game great. You spend most your time on-land, where you will be killing enemies, either by stealth, combat, or gunfire. There are a lot of side missions as well, with good rewards. However, as you are a pirate, you also have a big ship that you can customise and upgrade, and of course use to take down other ships or fortresses. Expand
  86. Sep 16, 2014
    This game was nothing short of amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, but as one of the game designers for this game pointed out during a demo, your lovely ship, the Jackdaw, is the second main character here. Frankly, one I enjoyed more than our standard protagonist even. The ship combat is addictive and about an authentic as you could possibly want in a video game. It hits all the right high notes. Your cheering crew singing sea shanties as you crash through the waves seeking a target with water washing over your desk is a surreal feeling. The 'legendary ship' encounters are particularly on-point and satisfying after overcoming them. If you played one of the previous Assassin's Creed games and have ever fancied yourself a pirate, it'd be downright criminal to not play this. Expand
  87. Sep 20, 2014
    First off, this game is by far my favorite of the series. Edward was a fantastic character with some outstanding surrounding characters and some not so outstanding.

Story-
    The story revolved around Edward getting caught up with the Assassin's and the Templars and a search for something big. All the while, Edward is plundering ships, searching islands for loot, hunting animals, crafting
    weapons and armor, upgrading his ship, and stabbing people. There are plenty of side missions such as Assassin contracts and templar hunts that will keep you sidetracked, too. You can search for all the animus fragments, gather shanties for your crew, and loot chests. You will also climb the viewpoints, defeat naval bases, and swim for sunken treasure. That is just scratching the surface for story and side missions because I highly recommend you play this game. The story is good, but not fantastic.

Gameplay-
    This game is 50% an Assassin's Creed game and 50% a pirate game. Personally, the sailing portions in the 3rd game didn't appeal to me, and although I liked it better here, the game was easily superior when Edward was stalking someone preparing to kill them. The sailing portions were fun, but got a little repetitive. Naval battles were fun, but there was some major difficulty spike issue that I had through my play through. When you are on land, however, you stick the Assassin's Creed basics. You will tail enemies, assassinate targets, climb rooftops and trees (By far the best part in this game is the nature aspect)and have sword fights. It basically sticks to the roots of the very first game, but flows so much better.

Presentation-
    The music is amazing. The visuals are downright gorgeous and the sound effects are AMAZING. These are honestly some of the best sound effects I have heard in a game. The way rain hits the gravel and Edwards sprints through the muddy terrain sounds like it's happening right next to you. Seeing a humpback whale breach is amazing as you sail the seemingly endless ocean is breathtaking( see what I did there?)

Cons-
    -The game can get a little repetitive as the land segments haven't changed much in the past years.
    -Some of the surrounding characters were rather dull and seemed unimportant and sometimes hard to follow story wise
    -Difficulty spikes were littered throughout the game, which got frustrating at some points
    -Why must we have present day segments? It wasn't as bad or as long as Desmond sequences but they were just pointless and took me out of the experience.

Overall-
    So far the best PS4 game I have played. The story alone will take you 20ish hours and that is without side quests and the bunch. Much better than 3 in every way. Buy this game if you haven't already. Also I want to get Freedom Cry too! :)

1. Apr 20, 2014
    The PlayStation 4 version of the game is mechanically the same as the PlayStation 3 version, but the new engine is eye-poppingly awesome.
  2. Ubisoft significantly improved the multiplayer side of things. Also, story takes you places.
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    It’s difficult to imagine Assassin’s Creed ever leaving the sea behind.