7.8

1. Sep 10, 2014
    I played the game at launch of the Playstation 4, and it was the best launch title in my opinion. It was Assassin's Creed with exploration. Getting the chance to play as a pirate was pretty awesome. The only downfall it got pretty repetitive, but still well worth it, I put 60 hours into the single player campaign and to me that is worth it. Multiplayer though in Assassin's Creed just isn't for me, it is unique but gets boring. Expand
  2. Sep 7, 2014
    This game is so overrated, it's annoying. C'mon people, it's basically just a clone of AC3, same visual style, same gameplay, no new tricks, fewer less interesting weapons and of course the sailing, which we also got to see first in AC3. I really don't understand how so many people hate AC3 and just loves AC4. I get that many still mourn Ezio's departure from the series, but hey he isn't the only thing that matters. I love AC, i've played every game ever since it's introduction in 2007. My favorite of them all (besides AC2 because it was a vast improvement over the first in everything) is AC3. Why? Because Brotherhood only introduced 1 new thing, summoning assassin's, Revelations is probably my least favorite. In every game that followed AC2 they gave us maybe 1 new thing to do or weapon to attack and then took something else away. In AC3 everything changed, Connor's running/jumping/crawling style is the same as Edwards. The Tomahawk was badass my favorite. The 2 swords Edward has are the only thing different from Connor. He's basically Connor, just with plastic surgery and 2 swords. The graphics are really great, i have to say that. But overall it just isn't anything we haven't seen before, even the main story. I really miss Desmond btw, i think it's lousy we have to play as some random Templar, really makes it feel this franchise just became a moneymaking machine with no depth or anything. Can't wait till' ACU, that looks real innovative for a change. Expand
  3. Sep 7, 2014
    AC3 over AC4
    I think that this is a wonderful game in terms of graphics but I think everything else was horrible. Being on the water was one of the worst experiences and this was really downgrade from AC3. The missions and side missions were not intriguing especially the ones on the water. AC3 was fine because only a tiny bit of the game was on the sea so it was sort of a nice change yet
    I wouldn't applaud it. The fighting was way too easy, anyone could take out a group of 1,000,000 guys by them self! The game forced you to play the missions and not just roam around because if you did you couldn't do anything! If you make a game like that at least make the missions fun! you didn't need any strategy or be stealthy at all you could just run right into a fort. AC3 over AC4 Expand
  4. Sep 3, 2014
    It's truly is amazing how far Ubisoft has came since the first Assassin's creed game... This game is amazing obviously, just like every other Assassin's creed game! The Characters, Graphics, Voices, Open world and everything about this game is perfect! 10/10 all the way, one of the best Next gen games so far!
  5. Sep 1, 2014
    Epic. From the lush graphics, the fluid gameplay right down to the absorbing soundtrack. The game massive and littered with a million things to do. The characters are actually interesting and leaves you wanting to know more about them. The main protagonist is a breath of fresh air compared to previous efforts. The only downside is that in many ways it doesn't feel like an AC game. Indeed it didn't have to be. There was no need for the modern setting to even be in this game. I fear Ubisoft were worried if it didn't carry the name it might not have sold as well. I think the next incarnation of AC will go back to the more traditional style which is a shame....it does however leave some scope for a future pirate style game which I would fully embrace. Expand
  6. Aug 26, 2014
    I have never played an AC game until this and I was pleasantly surprised.

The graphics and open world, created by the use of ships, and the amount of customization made the game fun. However, the amount of random glitches and useless exploring required to achieve these upgrades got boring quick.

There is some fun challenges with community events and elite ships, but unless you have
    friends who play, you can feel rather isolated in a game that seems to want some form of co-op.

Definitely recommend this game.
  7. Aug 22, 2014
    Excellent game...had the free roam option so you can sail around and do as you please or follow story line.was not to short and had a decent story line....
  8. Aug 13, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag
    Game-play:The game play is awesome i love it,ubisoft use the same techniques as AC3 but they have improve them and now is has no glitches and the dual sword play is awesome,the ship battles have also improved and you will really enjoy shooting with your cannons at the enemy
    Story:A great story with pirates,assassins and templars with well made characters
    that it will take you about 13 to 14 hours
    Graphics:I see some improvements,the game still looks amazing
    Notes:There are lot of weapons and outfits for edward and a lot customisation options for his ship,some times the characters do not appear on the screen but that is only for a few seconds,the side missions are awesome and really fun to play,the huge open world is amazing and you always have something to do there are 4 major cities in the game an lot of small places to make the world feel alive and it succeeds to do that,a must buy masterpiece
  9. Aug 6, 2014
    Really fun. It takes what 3 did with it's shop battles and expands on it really well. There's a few little annoyances that never seem to get sorted in the sequels like climbing up weird angles on the ship mast, but it's not enough to put you off. Multiplayer is good fun too.
  10. Aug 2, 2014
    Overall a mediocre experience. The controls are good, really good graphics, a great looking open world. But, other than that it really isn't that much different from AC3. I personally think that AC3 was more innovative in it's overall gameplay experience. It deferred much from the other AC games in style and combat. There we was also first introduced to sailing ships, although it's much more developed in AC4 and much more a part of the game than AC3. AC4's style is almost identical to AC3 (like running, walking, crawling, jumping etc.), the combat is also almost the same (like the special movies where you kill 2 opponents at a time with your pistols or rope darts), the combat style is a little different because obviously we now have 2 weapons at the same time, but not as cool or fluent as Connor's axe (that is my favorite AC weapon of all time). Ubisoft really got lazy with this one, also there's not much variety in the gameplay (like sailing all over the world which is freakin' huge looking for animus fragments and chests is really boring after a while and painfully repetitive) and the lack of different weapons you can buy like Ezio's many gadgets (grenades etc.) 2 handed weapons (which you can get in this game, but only from the guards). And i really think it's boring that you can get the most damaging sword in a matter of hours as damage levels are only as high as 5. There really isn't much of a challenge in the AC games, i really miss a difficulty level you can choose from. Enemies are easily overcome even if there's 20 surrounding you. And the story is like any other AC game. It's overall repetitive and certainly not improved that much from the other games. This game is way too easy, and incredibly overrated. AC3 is much better. I really don't understand how so many people can think this is far superior to AC3, and think AC3 is the worst entry in the series (Revelations anyone?), maybe it's the nostalgia from the Ezio games and you just thought all other characters and settings that came after, no matter how great, was complete a** in comparison. I really hope that AC Unity will come up with many new things and ideas, because if this, repeating everything from the previous games over and over again, continues i'm done with this series. I love the AC series, i played the first one when it came out and have now played all games (except for the dlc add-ons) and praise them for the style and gameplay. But ever since AC Brotherhood (because of the summoning Assassin's to help you) i really don't think the games have come up with anything new. Luckily from the looks of it, AC Unity will finally show us something new and exciting. Can't wait. But in the meantime 3 stars for this clone Expand
  11. Jul 31, 2014
    Best Assassin's Creed game since 2. Probably my most played PS4 launch game, lost to do in single player. Loses a point for having pointless Multiplayer trophies.
  12. Jul 29, 2014
    Don't waste your money with AC IV for PS4. This only a mediocre game for a PS3, and its flaws are even more unforgivable in the next-gen console.

The graphics are inconsistent. There are some amazing lightning + rain effects, but for the most part you feel you are playing a PS3 game, unlike Tomb Raider, who really looked better in PS4.

The game mechanics are poor, and you will find
    yourself playing a game from 7 years ago in your PS4. Combats are as poor and minimalist as possible and Main quest doesn't make any sense. Are you playing an AC mission or a "legendary pirates" one? Whats the link between those famous pirates and the AC main plot? Most missions from the main plot are always the same: you need catch someone in annoying missions, you need to hear some conversation while no one notice you are around, you need to kill some specific character that is as easy to kill as any random enemy, repeat, over and over again.

The "office missions" are so bad and boring that you won't believe they are putting that kind of thing in a so called "AAA game".

AC is an open world game, but I never thought an open world game and Caribbean would be THAT boring. The pirates will sing the same songs over and over again, the small islands all look the same, and usually all you can do there is to open some random chest and find some random treasure.

The cities are not as enjoyable to explore as the ones from previous games, people waking on the streets all look the same...

I believe those professional reviews giving this game favorable critics were made after few hours of gameplay. In the first 10 hours, this game really seemed amazing, but after that I realized there was nothing new to do in the game. After completing 25% of the game, I just decided to stop wasting my time in Caribbean.

The early Assassins Creed Unity gameplay suggests the first AC game for next gen is coming this year, and it exposes how bad AC IV is as PS4 game.

Avoid this one.
  13. Jul 26, 2014
    Finished this game a week ago.
    The latest installment to the Assassin's Creed franchise, featuring a new character, Edward Kenway.
    As you may know, Edward Kenway is the grandfather of Connor Kenway, the protagonist from Assassin's Creed III.
    Edward is just another pirate who's trying to find lots of money, so he can live carefree in this world. One day his ship crashed and he was
    stranded in an island. There, he met an Assassin, he killed him and took the Assassin's name as his own. Edward is the first character in the Assassin's Creed that learn everything about assassination not from the Creed. He's self taught because he has the "sense" of an Assassin (In other words, a genius). Find out the journey of Edward in the Caribbean Sea.

Plus point:
    - First Assassin's Creed game that was released on a next gen console. And i must say, although the graphics are not better than Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, the environment is awesome. The sea, the sky, everything is so colorful, making your naval journey awesome. Also harpooning is fun.
    - A new character who is unique and breaking the stereotype of Assassin's Creed protagonist. Edward, he doesn't care about justice and stuffs like that, all he wants is money. And his character development is really interesting, because he becomes a "real" assassin at the end of the game.
    - Battle systems are as always, too easy and boring. But this time, our hero use a new weapons. Which is Dual Sword & 4 Handgun. Pretty neat.
    - Freedom Cry, a stand alone DLC was released for this game. It told the story of Adewale, Edward's crew on the Jackdaw. The story takes place a few years after Black Flag, although Edward's name was mentioned a few times, it was unknown about how he was doing. This DLC worth every penny of it. It's enough to enjoy the Caribbean Sea once again with another character and another purpose.

Minus point:
    - The world is too large. I found myself spending too much time on the exploration part.While the story is just too short. Sailing through the sea took my sweet time on this game. I must say that it was quite boring sailing through the sea and waiting for my ship to arrive at the destination.
    - Same old Assassin's Creed. Hope Ass Creed Unity can bring a new wind to this franchise.

The verdict:
    I don't know why the hate for ACIV. I love the game & i love edward. The game is visually stunning in some aspects, but kinda looks bad on another. Although there are no new big changes to the gameplay, the story itself isn't that bad. It's good to see someone different from the previous protagonists. If you have PS4, then play this on PS4. It's really good, since there are no problems with Frame Skip like in PS3. The game runs smoothly on PS4. Totally recommended. But i must say, that this is just another game of Assassin's Creed. Nothing more and nothing less. 7/10 for this game.
  14. Jul 24, 2014
    Tried to re ignite my love for the AC franchise, but it didnt work. I do not like this pirate idea, its really not a good idea, i guess thats why they are going with the idea behind Unity. The graphics are good and the game runs really well thats why im giving it a 7 and i can fully understand how some people will love it, especially if they are into pirtates etc, but seeing as im not and i am not keen on the idea of it in a video game i have to give it a 7. Expand
  15. Jul 21, 2014
    Really fun and engaging. Takes elements of all its predecessors and shapes it into something new and innovating. Glad to see the ship battles expanded and oh, so great. I devoured this game and the only two points of criticism I got is the way the end feels rushed ( okay I'll join the assassins, kill kill, the end ) and the level of repetitivity in its side missions.
    The legendary ships
    are amazing.. Expand
  16. Jul 20, 2014
    Best assassin's creed.

Must buy for all gamers.
    Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.
    gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers. Expand
  17. Jul 18, 2014
    This is a real return to form for Ubisoft. I was so disappointed with the last Assassin's Creed that I almost didn't buy this. It was only after recommendations that I eventually decided to give it a go and I am so pleased that I did.
    Black Flag gives us a main character that you want to get behind again, you want to win and sets it all in a map that you want to travel around. The
    attention to detail as you are traveling around for the strangers you pass to the animals that run by you is just incredible.
    Sure its not without its issue and perhaps the map is a bit too big (I used fast travel a lot) and every now and then it does glitch but this are minor things in a game that has rebuilt my confidence in this franchise. Bring on the revolution.
  18. Jul 17, 2014
    The same good typical Assassin's Creed but in new setting with great addition of new game play on the see! Good combat mechanics with reasonable stealth! One of the best game of the 2013, and is going to a contender for the Game of the year!
  19. Jul 16, 2014
    Amazing game. Never really been a fan of all the other Assassin's Creed games, but Black flag...
    is awesome. I give it a ten because of the amazing graphics (and still 40+ fps), exploration ability / free roam and the good old fighting style.

Great game Ubisoft. You and your games are improving a great deal.
  20. Jul 13, 2014
    Easily the best game in the Assassin's Creed franchise. After the low that was Assassin's Creed 3, I think most fans can agree that we were worried about the next AC being a disappointment, as well.

Connor was probably the most disliked AC character to date, with his monotone, mediocre voice-acting and overall dull "must do right" character.

Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a
    much lighter tone to the franchise, akin to Jack Sparrow.

The story is great. The combat, crafting, free-running and everything else has all been revamped. I bought this game the day it came out and it has quickly become my favorite Assassin's Creed.
  21. Jul 12, 2014
    Without a doubt my personal favorite in the Assassin's Creed series! I've always been fascinated with lives and times of pirates since I was a kid, so much like Red Dead Redemption this game is a love letter to someone like me! The lead character is a lovable picture perfect pirate and the story is very interesting with many awesome levels and twists that I don't think you'll see coming! I enjoyed this game very much last year on the Playstation 3 and I'm enjoying it even more this time around with the enhanced graphics of the Playstation 4! Everything is rendered with the most detail you could imagine, everything so little as water splashing on the deck of your ship or the leave of a push brushing against your body as you move through it you will find it very hard to develop a complaint against this game, not only in the graphics department but the game as a whole! Expand
  22. Jul 11, 2014
    Aaaaargh you ready for a review...get it...get it?

Anyway, this game is the best game of the series since AC2 which was hard to beat, but the world Ubisoft created in this game is near flawless. Standing on a cliff looking out over the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean or battling a rogue wave is breathtaking and we haven't even stabbed anyone yet.

The two main characters of this
    game, Edward Kenway and The Jackdaw, are both enjoyable to captain if you will. Edward is the most aloof assassin to date and rightfully so, he's a pirate and likes to drink and be merry with the rest of his brethren. Do not get me wrong, he is a badass through and through, and anytime you have more guns than hands you know everything will be alright. The Jackdaw is truly a main character in this game as you spend 50% of the time on her and leaving a path of destruction in her wake.

The gameplay is fairly standard for this series and as introduced in AC3 it is fun to be able to climb trees in this tropical paradise. The combat is par for the course for the AC series, but for me, the counter system has always been great, but I can see the argument made that it makes combat a little too simple.

The only reason I couldn't bring myself to give this game a 10 is when you are fighting a horde of enemies (Ship Boarding/Fort Battles) Edward has a hard time figuring out who to fight.

Overall, this is a must play game for the PS4 and a must own for any AC fan.

- James Von Doom
  23. Jul 4, 2014
    More of the same which isn't a bad thing, it looks beautiful, the controls are good and the missions are great fun but tend to be a bit of a slog on some occasions. The sailing on the open seas are fantastic with plenty to do. The multiplayer is a bit of a let down with no real changes but still fun enough. All in all if you're a fan you'll enjoy it, not a must buy but a worth a place in your collection. Expand
  24. Jul 3, 2014
    This has got to be the best game I've ever played...EVER. And I'm not a fan of assassin's creed.

You can kill, pirate, build your pirate ship and sail the high seas, find dead bodies and collect treasure maps then try to find the treasure by looking at a chalk drawing and finding matching landscapes, spear-hunt sharks and whales, deep sea skin dive and all kinds of stuff. The only
    thing you CAN'T do is drugs, although you can still go to a bar and talk to hookers (yes, you really can). Expand
  25. Jun 28, 2014
    Assassins Creed Black Flag is a really good game. Its fun and has a lot of stuff to do. But IT IS NOT NEXT GEN graphics are bad. Even worse than some games that came out for the 360 and ps3. Maps are big but repetitive nothing new same design. However it is fun and it is worth your money.
  26. Jun 15, 2014
    black flag is not only the greatest pirate game but one of the best games of 201314 you play a character that is very different from the other assassins and this is a fresh much needed entry in the series
  27. Jun 9, 2014
    This is how I like my games. A good plot, awesome main characters, spot on gameplay. A massive improvement from AC3, I might add. The repetitive side missions, frustrating island hopping and (rarely) annoying controls take away the one point. The immersion, the fun and everything I expect of a proper game are there. More, please.
  28. Ed_
    Jun 5, 2014
    The game is fantastic, enjoyable. Despite the new era and the new gameplay Assassin's Creed 4 could continue its ancestors' success. The story is great as always. No bugs and there are no problems with controls. The game worth every penny.

Can't wait for the new Unity.
  29. Jun 3, 2014
    Assassin's creed: Black flag is interesting in the fact that, while giving the appearance of a fresh new,massive world, it becomes clear after a few hours of hands on time, that assassin's creed black flag is indeed just another game in the franchise with a new coat of paint.

While the setting may have changed from European mainlands, to beautiful Caribbean island locations; the
    game-play has widely remained unchanged. From the typical tail the NPC missions, to the unchanged combat mechanics, dated character animations, and physics.That' s not to say this game doesn't have its moments, because it certainly does.

Sailing the high seas is extremely enjoyable, while also taking in the beautiful locations and activities the game has to offer.

The new setting offers pretty oceans and islands, it really isn't that graphically outstanding.
    Quite disappointing really.

This game is a fun and entertaining one, it just doesn't offer anything drastically new or innovating for the series. Being an assassin's creed game, you should truly know what to expect.
  30. May 29, 2014
    Graphics: 8.8 Sound: 9.5 Gameplay: 9.2 Fun/Story: 9.2

A great game, sometimes makes me remember the beautiful Wind Waker (which is very positive). Graphics aren´t next gen at all but generally are very good and there are lots of nice places to discover. This game lasts 20-30 hours at main story and more 10-15 hours in side missions. Some tedious tailing missions and some physics erros
    should be corrected. Expand
  31. May 29, 2014
    The controls were smooth and responsive but the gameplay felt dated and lacklustre. While Kenway is a likeable protagonist, the story is a bit disjointed and forgettable. Never really felt like an assassin, but I do like the pirate theme. I think the graphics and collectibles kept me going in this game.
  32. May 27, 2014
    AC4 is a beautiful game. The scenery is incredible beautiful to just watch and there is so much to do and explore that it will also drag you back to play it more. Yes a few stuff get a bit repeatedly but if you look beyond those moments, this is a great game that will keep you entertain for many hours.
  33. May 24, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is one of the best Assassin's Creed games yet. Gameplay is improved and more fluid, graphics are amazing (both on current and last gen), story is one of the best and engrossing. The part of this game that really shines is the world. The game takes place in a lush, colorful, and lively interpretation of the 18th century Caribbean (Nassau, Kingston and Havana are the three main cities). The world feels lived in and large. In addition to the three main cities, dozens of fully accessible islands are also at the players disposal. Lots of collectables and treasure are sure to keep you occupied after finishing the game. Naval combat is pushed upon you in this game and that is not a bad thing, these naval combat sections are really entertaining. Not only do you play as a pirate in the game but there are a few sections in which you play as a present day Abstergo employee. In addition to all this, the main story is very lengthy (20+ hours). In my opinion the only real downside to this game is the multiplayer which feels like a copy and paste of the the AC3 multiplayer. Expand
  34. May 23, 2014
    If you're a huge fan of Assassin's Creed games and love every one then this is right up your alley. If you've never played one then this game is definitely worth picking up. If you've played the other 15 of these games and aren't interested until they present something new or innovative then hold on to your money. The side missions are repetitive but are fun the first 50 times or so. Pirate ship battles are repetitive but are incredibly fun the first 50 times or so. The stalking missions are repetitive but fun... You get the idea.

The Assassin's Creed series is like the progression of watching Die Hard over the years. It was awesome and mind blowing the first time but when you put it in now, years later, it's still great but you know exactly what you're getting in to.
  35. May 22, 2014
    As someone who always find AC is overrated, I am surprised that how much I enjoyed to play this game for at least the first 20 hours. Definitely the best sailing/pirate game I played in the past 10 years. I cannot stop thinking how it can be if they cut the assassin nonsense but focus only on sailing part of the game and add more trading gameplay and a big map. Honestly, the assassin part is just boring and weird. The graphic on ps4 is candy. Expand
  36. May 21, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV is a great game. The game-play was very fun. In my opinion the naval combat mechanics were the best part of this game. It was amazing, there is nothing like taking on a man of war and earning a big reward when you come out on top. There are so many things you can do in this game: you can sail to the open seas, you can fight other ships, look for buried treasure, take over forts, and so much more. There are a couple things in this game that annoy me; the combat in this game was way too easy. You can easily beat this game using the default swords and pistols. The story in this game was nothing special. You play as Edward Kenway, a pirate trying to become rich. I thought Edward Kenway was an interesting character, but all the other characters in this game are forgettable. For example some of the characters you meet in this game will die and when it happens you really don’t care as much you should, which hurts the impact of the story overall. I always thought the Abstergo scenes hurt the AC story-line because they always take away from the main story you've been playing the whole game. The graphics in this game are good considering it was developed for last gen. Overall this is a very fun and addictive open world game. If you’re an AC fan I would recommend it, just for the naval combat alone. Expand
  37. May 20, 2014
    Pros: - Stealth gameplay is much better. I didn't even mind the "follow" missions. - Awesome naval gameplay. there's a lot to stuff to do on the sea. - abstergo story ties in to other assassin's creed games and the overall theme sort of makes sense. - the main story of Kenway is good. I identify much more with Kenway because I really don't care about assassins like him. - lots of things to do and there's a lot of variety with missions.
    - really like the darts, guns, some bombs

Cons:
    - most of the locations are quite similar to each other.
    - combat feels like button mashing
    - collectibles (treasures) are useless. They mostly exist to make the game look like there's a lot of stuff to do. just ignore them.
  38. May 13, 2014
    Story:
    You play as Edward Kenway, the father of Haytham Kenway and Grandfather of Connor Kenway. You've left your home of England to pursue the almighty coin. One day, your ship crashes and after a series of events (involving the Templars of course), you wind up stealing a ship with the help of some prisoners, and you end up escaping from a naval fleet in the middle of a storm. I was
    surprised by how good the story was. Like its predecessors, the story's timeline lasts a few decades and throughout the story, you really see a change in Edward as his goals change, his friends interfere with his goals, and as he's hunted down by Templars. The dialogue is very well written with a nice "pirate-y" flavor added to it. Edward's friends are really entertaining to watch, and some of them are famous historical pirates (Blackbeard, Charles Vane, Bonnie, etc.). I'll also say that there are some death scenes here that really got to me due to how they were well executed with the music and atmosphere. I also thought that the ending was really heartwarming and emotional due to how you've developed a relationship with Edward and after everything he's been through. Unfortunately, since I haven't played AC2 yet (I plan on doing so in the future), I can't say if this is the best AC story ever made, but it's pretty close to that title. 10/10

Gameplay:
    The biggest new addition to AC4's gameplay is the emphasis on naval combat (No longer a side activity like in AC3). You get your own ship called the Jackdaw, which you use for traveling, combat, and for exploration. This is the 1st time that an AC game actually encourages exploration since the map is pretty large and there are so many islands, ancient ruins, and military camps to discover and loot, Actual wildlife to hunt and craft character upgrades for (just like in Far Cry 3) in both land and sea, and old ship wreaks to dive into and search for gold and ship upgrades. There are also forts that you can assault to reveal all locations in a certain area on your world map. These forts range, from easy, normal, and hard so you'll have to upgrade your ship if you want to stand a chance against some of the harder forts. the last new pirate-y feature Ubisoft added were 4 "legendary ships". Think of these as Raid Bosses from Borderlands 2 as they're really tough to sink, have special unrealistic abilities, and offer you 20,000 gold each, as well as a special ability you unlock if you sink all of them. Once you're on land, things slow down. The combat is still the same, easy, attack and block sequence from AC3, all the side activities from previous AC games (viewpoint syncing, treasure collecting, searching for documents and letters, upgrading your hideout, etc.) return, and the wanted system returns, but only for naval combat. A few new things were added for when you're on foot: No more notoriety, new taverns to unlock by beating up a bunch of drunk idiots (literally), new treasure maps which are fun to do, and new shanties to discover so your crew can sing to you while you're out at sea. The naval combat has been improved from AC3. Once you got the right upgrades, you can become deadly out on the open seas. You fire your main cannons from the side of your ship, you can ram from the front, use mortars for long range combat, use more powerful cannon balls for close range, and use barrels to set traps while you're fighting. Once you've nearly destroyed a ship, you can sink it for half loot (needed for $ and ship upgrades), or board it, complete a few minor objectives, and kill X amount of sailors to get full loot and more crew members. Even though my crew couldn't kill anyone, it was still fun to board a ship to steal all of its loot and treasure. You still have all the stealth parts of an AC game, and the forgettable modern day segments (different now that Desmond's gone), but aside from that, the gameplay is fun and adds a nice breath of fresh air with its new pirate elements (we REALLY need a good and new pirate game soon). 9/10

Graphics:
    This game looks and runs great on PS4, the lighting and textures are great, the character models are updated, and the water motions (especially during a storm) are well made. This by far the best looking AC game out there right now. 9/10

Sound:
    All the crew shanties sound like actual shanties, the score is good, and the environmental sounds are solid. 8/10

Multiplayer:
    Same as AC3. If you liked AC3's multiplayer, you'll like this ones. If you didn't like it, you're out of luck (The mode creator doesn't add much new content). 7/10

Verdict:
    Many people who've played AC2 said this was the 2nd best AC game ever made, and since there're aren't that many PS4 games out right now, go ahead and pick up a copy of this game, unless you don't care about pirate games. If Ubisoft keeps this up, then maybe the AC franchise has a chance to make a comeback after 2 disappointing games.

Rating: 9/10
  39. May 9, 2014
    I gave this a bad review awhile ago and I would like to change the review into a good one... I came back to the game after not having anything to play on my ps4... I never said it was a bad game but I did say that it was the same game as it's predecessors and I was kind of angry with myself for re-buying a game that was essential no different then before,,, The game is good and in my opinion the best Assassins creed game to date.. The problem I do have with the game is that it's no different than the PS3 version of the game except a few tweaks to the graphics.. Expand
  40. May 9, 2014
    Assassins creed black flags protagonist is a little different than the others from the series but in a good way, Edward is in no way a do gooder like the other lead characters but not so much to make you dislike him. The battle system is the same as the other assassins creeds and sailing the sea is very satisfying and beautiful. I was very pleased with this title and can't wait for the next installment in the series. Expand
  41. May 9, 2014
    pirate part of the game=good, but from the assassins creed franchise viewpoint its poor. every mission was pretty much the same (follow this guy, follow that guy.... oh now earsdrop on the conversation...kill. then it restarts) i havnt even finished it and im bored out of my **** mind
  42. May 4, 2014
    This game is such a masterpiece that after months of release, sometimes i m still playing it just for sailing in the open seas and watch for environment in Havana. It makes you feel like a pirate captain and gives you the chance being a master assassin in an amazing world.

The not-so-good part is the main storyline i think because it is not exciting to be an anonymous worker roaming in
    an abstergo office. After playing with Desmond Miles with his breath-taking history, i found these parts boring. Expand
  43. May 3, 2014
    Finally. After total disaster and fail with AC3 good old AC is back. In many ways best AC until now. When I started to play I thought it will be pure 10/10, but they managed to spoil gameplay with some little things but big enough to partly spoil the game. First of all gfx, gameplay, crafting system is awesome. But there is way too much "follow"/"catch"/"tail" missions which are extremely dull. To be worst almost every memory have that. Would be better if they put that in side missions or something because this way you cannot avoid bad parts. Second, there is some Abstergo hack missions which are very annoying and pointless. To be worst Abstergo part doesn't improve story in any way. Game is on good way to be perfect. Without that bad parts it would be pure 10! Expand
  44. Apr 30, 2014
    This game was a ton of fun that had me addicted the entire time. I've played through it multiple times and still can't believe how like able all the characters are in this game. Edward is by far my favorite assassin with a very like able story and personality. This game is by far the best game on next gen consoles to date.
  45. Apr 28, 2014
    This game is one of the best launch titles for PS4! The open world is a gorgeous and fun place to do anything! You can take down naval forts, complete assassin contracts, Templar missions, go hunting, or just do some sightseeing! There's plenty for everyone here! The story is pretty interesting, with a heart warming twist at the end. Overall a must buy!
  46. Apr 26, 2014
    When I reviewed this game for the PS3 I loved it, But I told that Black Flag did not have enough to do, But after playing this game on PS4 for 5 months now, I am able to say that Black Flag was a experience, It has lot of stuff to do and is just fun, AC4 has a brilliant main character, Edward along with Ed Thatch, Adawale, James Kidd and others create a story which is centered around money, It never takes itself seriously, Gameplay is fun and you spend a lot of time upgrading the Jackdaw which is your ship and buy all sorts of weapons and outfits, However the true problem with AC games still stands, Which are these annoying main missions which involve tailing, Eavesdropping and assassinating, The missions have moderate variety and I hope they innovate with that soon enough, Nonetheless AC4 is amazing, a game that will make you come back to it very often and a game that I would recommend it to anyone ! 9/10 !!! Expand
  47. Apr 26, 2014
    While AC4 is certainly an improvement on AC3, and I loved the naval battles and the deep sea diving sections, the game's cities lack that grand scope that the 1st and 2nd had. Furthermore, the lack of a wanted level in the town's makes my random acts of violence go without consequence.

Although this game does repair many of the bugs from AC3, I still found plenty of little problems,
    some of which kicked me out of the game. None of the sequences stood out to me as any real amount of fun, except for the templar hunts. It's too bad that these were side missions rather than what the game focused on. As much as I enjoyed sailing and pirating, getting all the collectibles across all those uncharted islands is such a chore. Some of the other smaller locales don't even have guards or anything to make them interesting. They look all the same as well. A few design choices seemed a little clueless as well. I'm sorry, but Florida does not have peaks and cliffs.

The game was good, and there's certainly a sense of adventure, but it feels too much like a chore to sail around. Good thing there's fast travel. I like the frontier areas and running through trees, but there is too much, and the cities themselves never impressed me, and there was no reason to walk around and see all of the city. I much prefer the city and environments of the 1st and 2nd installment that seemed so grandiose.
  48. Apr 22, 2014
    Excellent game that is beautiful and very fun to play. The naval combat gameplay is phenomenal, including its iOS app. The attention to detail is staggering and this is why I can't recommend this game enough.
  49. Apr 21, 2014
    Loved the game played till i got 100% the games open world of the seas made you fell like a pirate. Also the other characters in the game had lots of different personality. fishing ,finding, treasure, upgrading your guy, an your boat, going into woods to hunting are all really fun to do. Movement in the game was really easy to manipulate so is the combat sneaking and boat battles. things i did not like was going on the land and exploring because there was not much land to explore on. Expand
  50. Apr 18, 2014
    Where do i begin, the setting is very welcoming and colourful, the characters are quite well written with some believable dialogue. There are plenty of things to do but as with many none rpg games they get extremely repetitive with silly trivial and tedious items to collect, and other menial tasks like escort missions and killing a certain amount of enemies. The controls are extremely irritating and inconsistent, you have to do things in increments, you cant play the game in a fluid manner, for example upon defeating a enemy ship, and are about to board you walk up to your swivel gun mounted on the side of the ship and you cant press the interact button straight away you have to wait for about a second for your character to come to a halt then do so. It gets so infuriating. your character gets stuck to walls and ledges when you don't want to, it practically ruins the game alone. The graphics are ridiculous for a new generation of console, cause its cheaper for ubisoft to use a old engine than produce a new one. There are many auto save glitches as well i was at 33% then the next time i booted up the game it was at 25% i lost about 8-10 hours of progress so after that i just sold it back. The storyline is ridiculously far fetched and pathetic. I wanted to like it really, but it was wrought with repetition and frustration. Expand
  51. Apr 17, 2014
    Ships, Pirates, and underwater treasure. This game is awesome! Battling on the seas feels so good and while it may take some time getting used to when you do, you feel like a boss. My only real complaint with this game is the combat feels a tad weak. The combos are pretty repetitive and doesn't keep me as engaged. All in all, a great port of a great game.
  52. Apr 13, 2014
    The Assassin´s Creed IV: Black Flag review

Are ya ready kids! Aye aye Captain Kenway!
    Ow yeah.
    Well, as I went through this game there was no stopping my exploration needs. Every ten square meter island I saw and every shore with those badass flamingos flying around was an instant stop for my wave cruising ride called “The Jackdaw”. This curiosity that I had for the map was fueled by
    the enormous work that went into the creation and detail of the sea and its little islands as well as the inland jungle. Previous games had big cities as their main location but now, as well as having a few of these; the creators have gifted you with a whole ocean for traversing. The movement and the character that the sea shows are beautiful as well as dangerous as this bastard throws you some nasty storms some times. Another added feature aside from the open world sea exploring were the diving sequences which are actually quite a few. I had some trouble with these as the mechanics aren´t all that perfect and I kept going nose first into those damn sea urchins. But aside from the clumsiness (that is expected from any underwater levels) it manages to handle them with the awe of seeing the depth of the ocean, man! Goosebumps!
    Ship boarding and fort taking are some cool mechanics that the game also offers and they serve the fleshing out of the characters as well as random unscripted cinematic action sequences which make you feel like a badass.
    Speaking of cinematic sequences I loved the ones that Ubisoft created for us. Of course, they are scripted but nothing beats a pirate running across a swamp, with rain pouring on him and crocodiles snap at his legs. They give you some cool camera movements too!
    Before mentioning the awesome moment that completed my love for this game I will address some negatives about it. One being the free run mechanics which in some important mission points just decided that should just stop hang completely motionless from a rooftop and have a little chat with the local rooftop cat. These moments have been present since the dawn of the Assassin´s Creed games and it would be very pleasing if they could be corrected in the future. My other problem with it is that some cutscenes and story moments felt rushed at times. I can understand this as the game is more focused in ambience and exploration but some felt lacking some character.
    I think the negative argument from above would have been less noticeable had the other cutscenes not been so freaking awesome and gorgeously made. The takes are amazingly done (sometimes) and some dialogue in some the cutscenes really stood out for me, Blackbeard´s speech for example. But there is one cutscene, one that makes this game rule over every other AC games. SPOILER ALERT.
    The final cutscene isn´t something you see every day. And I say this because it could have ended with whatever short cutscene featuring Edward going away. But the way it managed to use all the weight of the things you experienced through this adventure and use that amazing shot of all the people that had an impact in your journey was magical. It didn´t matter if the relationships with some of them didn´t end well but they impacted the journey in a positive way, and that kind of nostalgia can only be achieved in a cutscene if it uses, like I mentioned, the weight of all those hours playing that game. That my friends, is masterful.
    Maybe it was the music or the nostalgia that swallowed me whole in that moment or seeing Edward smile as he sees his daughter, but that cutscene in general hit me pretty bad, in a good way because I wasn´t expecting something that heavy!
    In conclusion this game, while suffering from some technical issues, is amazing. It stands out in some many ways not previously explored by some AC games and it totally achieves greatness. This game deserves one special spot on your shelve. I am giving it an astounding 9 out of 10!

Be sure to check my blog where I post reviews like this one: http://thechannelofawesome.blogspot.mx/
  53. Apr 9, 2014
    I first played the first assasin's creed and never really got in to it. I found the game and story uninteresting. I took a chance on ACIV when I bought my PS4 and I'm very pleased that I did. I have been playing this on and off for around 5 months now and I still enjoy it, even without touching multiplayer. This is a great game with an engaging storyline and tons of side activities to do.
  54. Mar 31, 2014
    I am a fan of the AC series but Black Flag has left me questioning if I want to continue following. The playable map is just so.... massive, and not in a good way. In AC3 I had a solid feel for the Northeastern United States map but Black Flag just offers too much for me to simply wrap my head around. I also find the sea travel to be quite tedious. Crossing over the seas to follow along with the main story really started to become a chore. The transition from boat to land (areas without docking stations) was also a time consuming headache. The only thing I really looked forward to were my interactions with James Kidd. Now with news of two more AC this year alone I feel as if this game has become too much for me. It would be more enticing if it was the only game I played but being on limited time with my PS4 and wanting to play other games I think AC has became too epic on a scale for myself and similar gamers. Expand
  55. Mar 30, 2014
    First of all, this game looks fantastic. The controls, plot-line, and cut scenes are all pretty awkward, and the story is classic assassin's creed bad. But we're all really playing it for the take downs and exploration, of which are are plenty. If you've already got a ps4, I'd recommend this one, otherwise, wait til its less than $50.
  56. Mar 26, 2014
    Gameplay is much more fluid compared to AC3. Graphics are good, but not best for next gen. The world is very large and there's much to discover. The missions are sometimes a bit repetitive but overall fun. 8 out of 10
  57. Mar 24, 2014
    A serious return to form for Assassin's Creed. Black Flag brings a reptitive franchise back to life with a fresh, rewarding and stylish outing. If like me previous chapters have left you disappointed, then i'm glad to tell you this is an impressive redemption. Black Flag takes you to the high sea's with Captain Edward Kenway. Who is a far better, interesting and stronger character than Conor from Assassin's Creed III. Set in the early 18th century Caribbean during the Golden Age of Piracy and follows the notorious Kenway, grandfather of Conor, who becomes embroiled in conflict waged between the Assassin's and Templars. Gameplay has never been an issue. It's the fact it's become so repetitive and dull and thankfully the introduction of ship based exploring that's all changed. Allowing you to sail is a great addition to the franchise. You already know what your getting from the combat, melee system so there's no change. The setting makes the difference. I've never been a huge fan of Assassin's Creed multiplayer. There is a slight improvement but I still think they need to vastly better it if they hope to compete with the best online. It simply doesn't have that addictive factor that other games do and whilst it is playable, I wouldn't say it's the franchises selling point and certainly isn't as enjoyable as it could or should be in comparison to the single player campaign. All in all, Black Flag is a triumphant return to form for what seemed to be a franchise verging on going stale. The addition of sea exploration is exactly the fresh invigoration the series needed. Expand
  58. Mar 23, 2014
    Much improved gameplay since AC3 and is very nice looking. Whether you like this game will come down to one thing.... do you like going around for hours on end in a boat. I do not so therefore found this installment boring but lots of mates enjoyed the boating part so it really comes down to that. I just hope that i never see a boat in assassins creed ever again
  59. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is repetitive and boring. Having to sail hours of your life away is by no means fun. AC2 remains the only game I have enjoyed to the end in this series.
  60. Mar 20, 2014
    This is easily my favorite Assassin's Creed game. After the shockingly massive disappointment of Assassin's Creed III, I was worried that a pirate themed Assassin's Creed was going to relive the past disappointment. While still having some of the mind-numbingly repetitive task types of the entire series, this game is beautiful and fun to play.
  61. Mar 20, 2014
    Having played all of the Assassin's Creed games, I can certainly say this does not disappoint. However, I really miss the ability to upgrade parts of my armor separately; that would have fit this game excellently.
  62. Mar 19, 2014
    Brilliant game and brilliant story.

Once again main criticism is around the trophies as a number are unachievable as I don't know many people with PS4 and none of them have Black Flag.
  63. Mar 18, 2014
    At first I wasn't that thrilled with the game, but after sitting and getting used to it I have played it for hours upon hours. The game is addicting and entertaining. This has to be my favorite AC of the series. I love the ship combat and game play. Great game. I can't wait to see what they do next!
  64. Mar 17, 2014
    EXCEPTIONAL - I play AC games primarily for story while visiting multiplayer on occasions. The single player story was interesting enough to make drive me to complete it. The vast world of the game is a big strong point and kept me engaged. I payed full retail price at launch (60 USD) and support my purchase.
  65. Mar 13, 2014
    I'm new and I know nothing of Assassin's Creed. My take:

The game mostly assume's you are familiar with the AC games, you will find yourself wondering about the modern day desk job cutscene and sometimes wondering where to go and what to do. The sync thing isn't explained (where the map reveals itself slowly) among other things. So expect to wonder about things and how things work the
    first few hours of the game. I asked a friend to fill me in a bit and that helped.

Basically its a pirate world with things to collect and things to kill. Not much else.

The world is pretty but everything feels static. Nothing is really interactive. Its nice to have a colorful vibrant world but for me it didnt seem real or immersive. Mainly because I felt like I was a superhero running around in the city filled with automatons who did basically nothing. Nobody moves or acts like you so it makes the whole thing seem fake. It's hard to explain.

Its fun at times but more often that not I got bored. If you love collecting things and killing things then this game is pretty good (or if you love pirates). Personally I found the enemiespeople rather stupid and easy to "assassinate". Basically walk right up to them and click the "assassinate" button and your done. Rinse, repeat. There's the occasion where you chase after some normal person who hops around roofs better than you do and also another side activity like waiting patiently to pounce upon or chase some flying musical note.

The storyline and stealth game play leave much to be desired. Its absurd but I can see it being fun for some people, maybe just not for me.
  66. Mar 9, 2014
    Finally Asssassin's Creed releases a good game. Since the last game from the series that I actually enjoyed was Brotherhood, I was beginning to be a little depressed when it comes to Assassin's Creed. However, they managed to fix that with Black Flag.

The graphics are outstanding, the story is solid, and the gameplay is fresh and interesting. I was not expecting such a big change from
    them, and it was a pleasant surprise. I'm actually looking forward for the next game now. Expand
  67. Mar 8, 2014
    Take my advice and try not to get this on next generation. Its not worth paying extra. I found this out when I sank a ship, and it sank right through my ship. Also the graphics are just above average. Kenway's face moved like it was stuck in a irritating smirk. I found when I killed an enemy they fly a foot forwards when they have been struck by my hideously overpowered swords. Halfway through the game I knew none of my enemy's stood a chance against me when I gained two swords, four pistols, a dart shooter, two hidden blades, smoke bombs, throwing knives and money. All challenge was removed from the game at this point even when I wasn't even trying to accomplish anything. The story missions are the more repetitive than the resident evil series. Nearly all of them require you to tail or eavesdrop on the enemy. They are so easy I was just running on rooftops try to keep up with them. But one thing I noticed, WHERE ARE THE ASSASSINATION MISSIONS? They should have just called this game 'Pirates Creed'. There are only about three in the entire game. It trys to cover this up by having assassins side missions. These only require you to kill a target to get 1000 Reales. There can be a 500 bonus if you stay out of combat. This can be so easy, when I got the berserk darts I was trying to get my target killed by his guards. Sailing is fun as it gets with trying to get cargo from other ships to either sell or use to upgrade your ship. I tried to ignore the ships level, and just see how long it took for the ship to move another way other than the way I was going. Eventually we were just going in circles. Don't bother trying to board a ship unless you want to lower your wanted level or want to send it to 'Kenway's Fleet'. You still get the ships loot regardless of how you destroy it. Kenways fleet is just a small and unnecessary add-on to the game. Its just another way to get more money. The characters are boring and all have a similar personality. They all seem to be okay with Kenway risking his life for their gain. The franchise has got better since the disappointing third installment. The final overview of this is it is not worth getting skull edition or the season pass because you will get bored very quickly with this. Collapse
  68. Mar 6, 2014
    First off I'm not an Assassin's Creed fanboy, and this was my first title I've played within the series. I bought this because of the massive underwhelming PS4 launch, and I expected this to be a solid game. The graphics were solid and comparable to the highest end of PS3 and the gameplay was definitely enjoyable. The only detractor I see from having this be an amazing game is the storyline, which seems to fizzle at the very end. Expand
  69. Feb 28, 2014
    I am a big fan of Assassin's Creed franchise: Assassin's Creed - awesome game,which everyone needs to play! Assassin's Creed 2 - even better,with better graphics,story(and subtitles) Brotherhood - great atmosphere and story,awesome as 2 Revelations - not so good as the others,but still it is awesome III - this is the biggest disappointment from Ubisoft I've ever saw - the story was boring most of the time,the characters weren't so good, the atmosphere was bad,only the combat system,the bigger world and the better graphics were good elements.
    IV - after III I was expecting a great game,because the Caribbean setting was good choice, and OMG - it is awesome like nothing before! Awesome graphics,awesome story,gigantic world to explore,smarter AI and many many other awesome things. After I saw the trailers and GamePlay videos,I was having great expectations. They weren't met - they were blown away from this awesome game. This is something,that you can't give less than 10/10!
  70. Feb 27, 2014
    I wasn't expecting much after playing 3 but holy **** was this an amazing game. The story and characters are absolutely amazing and the gameplay is nice and fluid. The game looks absolutely beautiful as well. It's bright and colorful. The navy combat is probably (for me at least) the best part of the game. In all honesty this should of GOTY 2013 instead of GTA V
  71. Feb 26, 2014
    I just can't imagine that assassin's creed 4 could be so awesome,The first time i saw the trailer,i say:oh pirates,is there any good to sail in the sea??not gonna lie,assassin's creed 3 is a huge disappointed for me,I love american revolution history but AC 3 is so not a sandbox game,more like a pure action game,which i hate it,but AC 4 ,thankfully,it's a real sandbox game!you can do whatever you want,sank the loyal ship,do the assassinate contract for money,as for money,you can use it to upgrade the ship! that's the most gorgeous thing for me!!! after all,I can't imagine that i love pirates life in AC 4 so so much! because i'm not a real pirates fun before!! and that's one of the reason that why i hesitate to pick it up at the beginning,but now i feel so lucky to have it,and i think it‘'s the best initial next-gen game! if you own a PS4 ,you like sandbox game,you are a history fun,don't hesitate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  72. Feb 26, 2014
    Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag is the PS4 game that I have enjoyed the most. Everything about is is fun. From plundering unsuspecting ships, to jumping from rooftop to rooftop, taking out your assassin contracts. The sailing mechanics in this game are easily the best out there. Why? Because its simple and straightforward. The handling you have over your ship is completely determined by how fast your going, if you are just prowling the waters at a slow pace, you will have precision control over where you turn. But if your just sailing away at full speed, you will find yourself turning right, then left, then a little more right, and the a little left again to get to the trajectory you want to be at. Fighting other ships is another big part of the game. There are so many ways enemy ships will try and sink you, and so many defensive strategies you will need to develop. Smaller ships will try and shoot you down from an angel where you can't shoot them, where bigger ships will just try and ram into you at full speed. There are many ways to play as a pirate, and i guarantee you will enjoy all of them. One of the only complaints I have about this game is the voice acting. It just never seems to be right. The voices will often times merge to the point where you won't be able to hear who's talking, sometimes you will need to strain to hear the characters talk over the crash of waves, and other times there voices will come booming through your television way louder than usual. This, however, does not deteriorate from the actual game play at all. The combat is still balanced, with swords, pistols, and poisoned darts that you can use to overcome your enemies, and awesome stealthy assassinations that you can perform to take a single person out quietly. Overall, AC4 is a very good game, and is the one I have enjoyed the most on my PS4 so far. Expand
  73. Feb 24, 2014
    Assassin's Creed, the whole series, is lacking. If there was ever a gaming company that needed, NEEDED to listen to its customers and get feedback from gamers, its this one. There is NO difficulty setting and the fighting combat is so easy its boring. Circle to block and square to kill. Yawn. You can't enjoy upgrading or buying better equipment because the game starts out on ridiculously easy mode and if you upgrade anything you could hand your controller to a blind person and they would easily win every fight.

You can't control what you see on your display. So if you don't want to see every enemy on the map in red, you can't use the display at all cause you can't turn off any of the display settings, its all or none. And by none, I mean you just don't look at the display, you can't turn it off either, its always there in the lower left. The game gives bonuses for stealth but doesn't have a crouch button. Crouching is automated and going from one bush to the next means standing up to get there, which often means getting spotted. Not that it matters, you can't die in combat unless you are disabled and have no arms and have to play with your toes.

Every new AC is more of the same ol same ol. I keep waiting for them to make the combat more challenging and allowing you to crouch when YOU want to, but no. I keep waiting for some totally new environment, but all the AC's look basically the same. Trees, tall buildings with viewpoints, mountains, roads, blah blah blah....BORING. Seriously I think they take the same templates in every game for every tree, road, bush, city, person, body of water etc.

TO play AC for the first time, you would probably really enjoy the game for awhile. But why keep playing the new AC's when they are all basically the same. No one is trying over there. I would fire the whole staff and bring in some fresh young minds to push the envelope. Someone needs to save this franchise from its inevitable descent into gaming boredom, before its too late.

I love the concept, I love the WAY the side missions are presented. I love the open world, but for GOD sakes, when they release a NEW AC, I wish it felt like something new and not some recycled, lackluster effort of a game.
  74. Feb 23, 2014
    A wealth of content and nice colorful graphics and atmosphere (a nice contrast from earlier gen titles on PS3). The game isn't a true next gen game but the load times are relatively short, there's a wealth of content and occasionally there's a feel good sensation of successful play. Upgrades make a true sense of progression and new play toys.

The downside is clunky controls that will
    often cause screw-ups. Run and climb are tied to one button and the character will often get stuck breaking momentum and climbing during a chase if they get too near a wall. Combat is reduced to waiting for enemies attack to make a parry-riposte which other enemies will wait for you to finish.

Characters are likable even if the plot seems meandering. Overall a good game to play while you wait for more dedicated PS4 games.
  75. Feb 22, 2014
    When ubisoft boasted 70 unique locations in assassins creed black flag i couldn't help but feel a bit sceptical after the previous game in the series which did anything but impress, but this time they wernt lying, from uncharted islands to large cities, shipwrecks and forts there is so much to do in this game. You play as Edward Ken way a pirate exploring the Caribbean sea as you please, this sense of freedom along with the revised combat system and improved naval battles shows ubisofft can still make good assassins creed games. Plundering ships and hearing your crew sing authentic pirate shanties are highlights but this is still an assassins creed game and so eavesdropping and tailing is a common diversion this is why i could not give this game a higher score. Assasins creed 4 comes packing with a multilayer mode which is interesting at best but always filled with tense competitiveness. This game is a must buy on next gen with features such as touch pad interaction with maps exclusively for PS4 and improved graphics for both next gen devices compared to the ps3 and xbox 360 counterparts. Expand
  76. Feb 20, 2014
    This was my first ever AC game, and it was amazing.

Only thing I dislike is the need to add a trophy that requires you to spend countless hours grinding online to lvl 55 or I would of given it a 10.
  77. Feb 20, 2014
    Simply put, this game is amazing but has some places where it can make this Amazing game even greater. The storyline is very immersive and lengthy and features a great and authientic cast of characters. The map is HUGE and the locations all based of real life areas. There are many things that add to the replayability of this game: harpooning, hunting, assassin contracts, exploring, hunting down ships,a unique multiplayer mode and many, MANY more.

The ship you have under your command is called the Jackdaw and is an integral part of the game. It is almost like a 2nd main character. It can be upgraded with things such as better broadside cannons, mortars, swivel guns, rams, hull strength, harpooning equipment and more. It's looks can also be customized (the sails, figureheads, wheels,etc.) The ship feels realistic to sail over the beutiful waters (which over time become wavy and relaxed or stormy). The ship feels as though it has a realistic amount of weight. The water is also beutifully built and is highly realistic expecially during storms. The main character Edward Kenneway is likeable and also can be customized quite a bit (guns, outfits, swords, blowdarts,etc). You can sail the open seas and combat random ships (different areas of the map have varying ship strengths). And plunder their loot then you have 3 options.
    1. Repair the jackdaw
    2. Wanted level -1
    3. Add to fleet.

The cities feel authentic and you can gamble, hire dancers, hire bodyguards, drink till your drunk and the cities feel lively such as people doing jobs talking walking around playing music and more.

The fleets are amazing and the gameplay amazing.

2 bad parts.

Melee combat can be improved and i wish the ships had more varying loot (i.e. ships carrying oranges from Florida and tobacco, grain, corn,etc) it would make it more believable also i wish you could explore OUTSIDE of the cities when not on water.

Should I buy? If you have patience and time to burn YES this game is very good though it is quite long so be prepared. Also the 1st few hours may feel uncaptivating but past that point it is a truly GREAT GEM.

7.5/10- GRAPHICS
    9/10- Storyline
    8.5/10- Gameplay.
    10/10- Length & replayability
    10/10- Soundtrack
    9/10- Overall
  78. Feb 17, 2014
    Fun pirate simulator, not so great Assassins Creed game.

Being a pirate in this game was a ton of fun, and if thats what the game was supposed to focus on, then this would easily be a 9 and not a 7. But the actual AC story in it was just awful compared to previous games. Edward isnt really an assassin and is about the worst protagonist in any of the games in that light. As a pirate, he
    works great. The story progression of AC as a franchise also stalled out a bit in this game and not much was added. Also, more of the same; this makes the 3rd AC game in 2 years set in the colonial North American setting and its getting old now.

I hope to see the next AC do something new in regards to setting and period and I hope to see a true entry in the AC franchise story-wise.
  79. Feb 12, 2014
    I have played them all and I can say that - at least for me - although ACIV is more of the same it still manages to be a breath of fresh air. This game is sick! I absolutely love the pirate theme - which made me enjoy a game like Rise 2, for instance. Edward Kenway's story is very cool and interesting and he's the best assassin after Ezio; with a lot of charm and witty remarks, without mentioning his abilities as an unofficial assassin (would this be considered a spoiler?). And then there's the Caribbean sandbox... seriously, I could only play the naval part of the game and never conclude its story, really. It is that awesome. Fantastic graphics, soundtrack, gameplay, cast of characters and stuff to do. It is a perfect game of the the PS4 launch, since there are not many games available to play. You can stick with AC4 for months. It is a blast! Expand
  80. Feb 11, 2014
    I don't know Why this is the 1st Assassins Creed game ive played but after this Im sure it wont be my last. This may have a bearing on my outlook to the game. From the moment I put the disk in the drive I was impressed with its presentation. The UI looks fantastic and the visuals throughout the whole game are impressive.
    As im new to the series the whole Abstergo Interludes are a bit lost
    on me and I find them pointless. I gather this part of the game ties in the previous ones? (im yet to complete the game too btw so im hoping these bits have some sort of story tie in by the end of the game)
    The controls are very intuitive and you soon get the hang of controlling your ship in battles as well as the hand to hand combat.
    One other thing Im impressed with, is the companion app. So while your not playing the game on the PS4 you can earn ingame cash using Kenways fleet. You can also use it as a map while playing which is very handy while looking for buried treasure!
  81. Feb 9, 2014
    Its fun, for a little bit. And then it gets boring. That is how I see AC4. The story missions barely have any actions. 70% of the time its tailing and eavesdropping, with some scripted chase missions thrown in. The combat is way too easy. But it does have a great world. You can hunt animals, do assassination missions, upgrade you're ship, blow up forts, the list goes on. I just want a more engaging narrative from the next Assassin's Creed, because this one isn't so great. Expand
  82. Feb 9, 2014
    PS4 version of Assassins Creed Black Flag.
    Graphics are PS3 quality for a start they are decent but still PS3 standard and this is the PS4 version.
    I really wanted to like this game but after the first hour or so I just found it so repetitive that it was a choir to play.
    I haven't played an Assassins Creed game since the first one and other than the step in graphics there was nothing
    new which really disappointed me.

Poor game for the PS4.
  83. Feb 8, 2014
    Esta bien, pero no disfrutas a lo loco, con el dineral que se gastan podría estar mucho mejor, pero cumple. He jugado a todos los assassins creed y bueno, este en ps4 debo decir que noté mucho mas el salto grafico en el tres que en este... No puedo evitar fijarme en eso
  84. Feb 6, 2014
    I played the Xbox 360 version of AC4, and I just didn't get into it that much for some reason. but then I figured I'd give AC4 another go but this time on the PS4 and all I can say is that I'm blown away by the amount of details and realism the PS4 version threw at me. the PS4 version of AC4 didn't have single issue with frame rate drops or any other problems the last gen systems had. AC4 is played in native 1080p but i'm not sure how many frames it's getting. now if only Watchdogs would just come out. Expand
  85. Feb 6, 2014
    Do not be fooled.
    I hated AC3, it was a buggy mess. But the lure of this beautiful looking open world pulled me in to the series again.
    And for the first few hours of this game, it feels like something special. Very fun ship combat, great exploring and a lovely colorful world. But then you are reminded, its just ANOTHER Assassins Creed.

As the game moves on, you are on foot more and
    more often, and this is where the game falls apart.
    The 5 game old combat, could be done blindfolded. The variety offered in the form of different shaped/dressed enemies is plain annoying. A fat guy who throws a grenade, one who cant be attacked, one you have to counter. Its just so blurgh.
    Weapons are again pretty limited considering the depth early games had.

Then add on the climbing and running aspects, as usual you will spend countless hours running up the wrong wall, jumping when you didn't ask it to.
    I write this review on the back of one of the oh so fun trailing missions, 2 minutes of slow walking, i ascend to a rooftop to kill my target, only for the game to jump on to one of his guards 5 meters behind him. 3 times i've centered my screen on him, watched him flash and flicker as he becomes my target, only for the game to decide otherwise.

That point also brings up the mission design. Ubisoft, please stop thinking we enjoy walking slowly behind people for 5 minutes, only to be seen at the end and have to restart the entire thing.
    Or to eavesdrop on a conversation, and have to follow our target through a camp full of enemy men.
    Even Assassinate missions/contracts have become so mundane, no longer do you need to work a position and take guards out. Now just stand back and shoot a berserk dart at them and walk away.

It would also be nice if Ubisoft didn't treat me like an idiot. I left my ship alone, i go to the mission, and suddenly my quartermaster is beside me, i leave the cut scene and he has vanished.
    I silently kill a target as he stops off at the first of a few areas, two bodyguards and a few area guards. I kill him from a haystack, and in the cut scene am then putting his clothes on, what happened to his guards?

How in the world this series moves on from here i have no idea. The series was flat lining until they brought in ship travel, that helped to gloss over the old lazy boring gameplay. If they do indeed bring out another game this year, or even two like has been rumored (one for each generation of console), it needs to take the game in a crazy new way. But please, just let Creed die. Give us a new Prince of Persia.

PS, i havent mentioned the story cause frankly, i have no idea what it is, and i dont care. The game is made in a way that you very rarely actually do story missions, you get distracted with collectibles and side missions and travelling so often.
  86. Feb 4, 2014
    A truly impressive amount of content in one game. An interesting story line and a new approach to playing at current time as an Abstergo employee. I won't go into spoilers, so don't worry.

The fighting style is pretty comparable to all the other AC titles, hit square and triangle over and over, but the animation keeps it interesting. The ability to aim a gun is an absolute revolution
    in this title and a great improvement. Fast-travelling does become somewhat of a nightmare when your trying to get all the assassin and naval contracts and the end of the game, as well as finding all fragments and chests that were loaded into a shotgun and fired at the map.
    I DO NOT like the number of uncharted islands with chests and Animus fragments, they are NOT enjoyable and consume a lot of time. (OK everyone! Let's sail to the 200 small islands individually, jumping off and on your boat each time just to get 300 reales or a fragment! Sound fun?)
    I would have liked a better sailing speed and turning system, something more in depth with actual sailing, but the aiming of cannons, ship weapon variety, and numerous upgrades keep it interesting.
    The storyline is...well, long. I'll admit I love the First Civ references and sailing the Queen Anne and a Man o' War was AMAZING. Unfortunately, they reminded me that i would have preferred being able to choose any ship, not just one. Each could have had an upgrade set, abilities, advantages, disadvantages...oh well.
    I recommend this game for someone who enjoys playing before they finish the story. DO NOT WAIT TO GET COLLECTIBLES AT THE END. It gets boring.

FEUDAL JAPAN FOR AC5!!
  87. Feb 2, 2014
    I would like to first point out that the graphics of Assassin's Creed IV for the PS4 is mediocre. My first edition PS3 has about the same graphics. Now I know that these starter games do not incorporate the whole visual display I expected some improvement. The campaign is somewhat lengthy like all AC games but the multiplayer experience has been degraded. The locking mechanism is awful, the game servers are useless, and the gaming mechanics went downhill. Aside from the story in campaign mode this new Assassin's Creed has been a huge disappointment. Expand
  88. Feb 1, 2014
    Not only this games looks very very good but also they've got incredibly close to a pillar of Assassin's Creed franchise: Assassin's Creed II. And I did definitely enjoy that developers not only had taken best part of AC3 -- sailing it is -- but also vastly improved it.
  89. Jan 30, 2014
    After AC3 i had really low expectations for this game but as it turns out the gameplay is actually pretty damn solid!
    But as in AC3 the story is terrible! especially outside the animus!
  90. Jan 30, 2014
    boycott this franchise please! All assasin's creed has done is just recycle, recycle, recyle. If you compare the characters and maps etc from the previous titles in the franchise, they just take the same stuff and repackage it. I used to be a huge fan of MP of the series, but just got bored after they just repackage the same stuff repeatedly.
    Now I tried out MP in blackflag I can spot
    characters recycled from brotherhood, revelations etc...
    It's just terrible! guys, boycott the franchise so they will actually put some energy into creating new titles instead of recycling old ones!
    don't buy this game if you played previous title/titles!
  91. Jan 29, 2014
    I have played the first Assassin's Creed and it was pretty good. I played the second one and I couldn't get into it. Didn't even try the third one. When I got the PS4 I bought a couple games and one of them was this one. I am so happy I chose this game, it is so good. I like being a pirate and like that it's based in the Caribbean. The missions are pretty fun and the graphics are pretty good. I'm surprised the total score is only 7.8 it's worth more then that! Expand
  92. Jan 23, 2014
    Es un buen juego con respecto a assassins creed 3, pero como el 3, tiene bugs. todavia no es posbile realizar los "eventos" para el trofeo y al parecer ubisoft se olvido de esto.
  93. Jan 22, 2014
    Había decidido abandonar la saga Assassin Creed por tediosa y repetitiva, pero esta ultima me ha vuelto a enganchar, un juegazo del que he disfrutado como hacia tiempo que no disfrutaba.
  94. Jan 22, 2014
    Never liked assassins creed untill now, thought I would get it so I had something else to play with my PS4.
    Never new I could have so much fun in a multiplayer match, Thats all I enjoyed from this game, the multiplayer. The story was ok but some of the mission got boring, everyone should try this out if not for the story then the multiplayer
  95. Jan 20, 2014
    At first this seemed like a game that could really be fun, but then after leaving the first city of the game the gameplay became boring and stale immediately. I rarely play it anymore because I get bored of it so quickly. I wouldn't recommend this to my friends either because the multiplayer, although seemed like it would be fun ended up being more repetitive gameplay over and over again. Naval gameplay isn't as big as I thought it would be and free roam out sea is just the same thing, shoot cannon(s) until your enemy is weakened enough to board their ship or finish them off. While free roam on land is a bit better because of how you can approach different tasks, so much of the game asks you to sail that it makes me not want to play anymore. As for the graphics, the game looks suprisingly good for a cross-gen title with a few hiccups with character models and textures. But no matter how good this game looks it can't overcome the repetitive gameplay. Expand
  96. Jan 19, 2014
    The game itself was good. But the story line was way off of previous Assassin Creed games. The game wasn't a true Assassin Creed it was a pirate game more then anything if one was to throw Jack Sparrow into it as the main captain it would be a great Pirate game, but either way it wasn't Assassin Creed. Ubisoft Almost failed with the game completely
  97. Jan 17, 2014
    As an assassin's game it fails but as a pirate game is where it shines. The game has many many flaws that can make the game frustrating and annoying which makes me sad to see since most of these flaws are from prior assassin's games and you would expect them to fix that or make it better. Things like your character constantly doing what you don't want it to do. Fighting onboard a ship is pretty terrible since there are a lot of enemies and targeting sucks so you'll be hitting different people that you don't want to hit or worse, something you'll character will be out of combat when enemies are nearby so when you press circle to counter you'll actually put away your swords and get hit. The story is pretty terrible and it's sad to see how instead of the developers fixing what the game was about and improving being an assassin they instead just add something else to it to attract people and hope they ignore all the flaws it has when your doing your assassin thing.
    Essentally this is AC 3.2. Everything from AC3 is in this but with a few new stuff like diving and hunting sea animals and it greatly improves on the sailing part and what you can do with your ship. As a long fan of the AC series it pain me to see how the developers passion for the game is gone, as you can see from the bad story, and all they care about is making money. It's also evident when you play the game and hint at future installments they may make to further milk the franchise.
    Other than all negative I put the pirate side like I said is fun. You can upgrade your ship and ship battles are fun. There are also legendary ships you can tackle but unfortunately you get nothing good out of them other than bragging rights. I wish they would've just made this a stand alone pirate game and made a separate Assassin's creed game that's actually good than we would've gone two great games and the company would've made lost of money since there is a lot of potential when your acting as a pirate.
    Overall if you want a game that gives you plenty to do than this game might be for you if your into pirates. If you want a good story that continues the series then you'll be disapointed if you pick up this game.
  98. Jan 15, 2014
    If You Didnt Like Assassins Creed 3's Naval Missions You Might Think To Yourself , Why Buy This Game ? Well Here Is Why A) They Made The Naval Missions A Lot Easier And Simpler To Adapt To B) Playing As A Chris Hemsworth Look-A-Like Pirate Is Awesome C) The Graphics Look Absolutely Stunning Closest To PC You'll Get On A Home Console D) You Get Some Extra DLC For The PS4 Like Playing As Aveline From Assassins Creed Liberation , the list goes on , overall the game plays the same as the other games in the series but just looks superior and more polished it will also keep you busy long after you finish the main quest , with lots of side quests , treasures and collectibles to find , i been at it for a week and i can say it 100% upgraded on the 3rd One Expand
  99. Jan 14, 2014
    Το παιχνιδι ειναι υπεροχο απλα, ευτυχως δεν ειχε καμια σχεση με το απαισιο 3 και καταφεραν να μας μεταφερουν με τον καλυτερο τροπο τους πειρατες στο σπιτι μας !
  100. Jan 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I definetly think it tops AClll. It's graphics look more colorful and shiny. The ships have been improved from AClll and it's a massive world to explore, find chest, challenges, letters, weapons,cargo, animal hides and much more. I did not like the story. Spoiler alert!!! What happens after the end where Edward stands with his kids because there is no part after that in the Animus where you could kill the boss finish all the hacking it dissapoints my and why is it Edward joins the Assassins at the end? Why not in the middle of the story? Expand
  101. Mar 8, 2014

1. Apr 20, 2014
    The PlayStation 4 version of the game is mechanically the same as the PlayStation 3 version, but the new engine is eye-poppingly awesome.
  2. Ubisoft significantly improved the multiplayer side of things. Also, story takes you places.
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    It’s difficult to imagine Assassin’s Creed ever leaving the sea behind.