7.8

1. Sep 28, 2016
    Assasin's Creed: Black Flag is an ambitious and well constructed game, that offers decent combat and an immersive landscape, but ultimately devolves into a nearly impossible grind.
    If you like pirates, then this game is definitely worth checking out at least. A gripping seafaring soundtrack, excellent world design and perfect renditions of notorious historical figures brings the authenticity level insanely high. As Edward Kenway, you are able to do all of the things one would want in a pirate game, like sword fighting, gambling, finding treasure, and even boarding ships. Nothing is greater than wearing down an enemy ship's defenses, boarding it, and climbing the rigging to reach the enemy flag, and cutting it off of the mast.
    With all that said, the rest of the game is unfortunately pretty mediocre. The story is so disconnected, because of so many objectives that are not narrative based that it can be hard to really care about the the characters, and what's happening to them. Also, rather than play as Edward Kenway, you actually playing as some random guy, living through the memories of Edward Kenway. For some reason, they thought it was a good Idea to give this Random Guy missions as well, which generally consist of walking around, and giving a file to someone, or downloading something from a certain computer, It's really quite boring, when all you really want to do is slice the crap out of some royal soldiers.
    AC4 offers decent fighting, but nothing really interesting. The first couple battles are cool, but you eventually get used to it, and basically as long as you keep pressing circle and square, you are fine. The parkour mechanics are cool, but really, how many shanty towns usually have dudes running on rooftops? come on now.
    While the melee controls are decent, the stealth mechanics are the worst in any game I've ever played. There is no way to crouch, or take cover, the only option is blending with people, bushes, and unusually common haywagons. This seems to be a game where the general idea is to rush in slicing and dicing, until nobody is left, which is all well and good, unless the game requires you stay hidden. Trying to sneak into an enemy fortress, is nearly impossible when the game desynchronizes as soon as anyone sees you. This was the most dissapointing part of the game, because I know Ubisoft is capable of some killer stealth gameplay. The most recent splinter cell installment was hands down the best stealth i've ever played. AC4 is awful in comparison.
    Most of the side objectives, raiding ships, forts, and looking for treasure are fun the first time but past that very boring and formulaic. Naval contracts are mostly impossible, and leave the player feeling pretty bored.
    I almost wish that AC4 was a rail based game, or perhaps made in the "wide-linear" style. There is quite simply too much going on to get into the game. Were it a more spontaneous story with the elements of this game incorporated into it, it would have been far more engaging.
  2. Sep 20, 2016
    I borrowed this from my friend and played this game till the end.the story was amazing,nice characters,amazing graphics I remember playing this game for hours.buy it for not more than 20$.
  3. Sep 6, 2016
    Second worst experience of my life only behind turning up to Keith Vaz's house with no poppers. Dated and stale game-play and hideously boring missions. But hey, you get to sing sea shanties so it gets one point.
  4. Aug 15, 2016
    It's the pirates of the Caribbean game Disney never made. Simply awesome, granted it took me about 5 hours before i got the swing of things but once i did i was away. It took me around 200 hours to complete this game 100% and I've enjoyed pretty much all of it, the only thing that i didn't like was the sneaking stuff, just not my thing. I would say though if you didn't like the otherIt's the pirates of the Caribbean game Disney never made. Simply awesome, granted it took me about 5 hours before i got the swing of things but once i did i was away. It took me around 200 hours to complete this game 100% and I've enjoyed pretty much all of it, the only thing that i didn't like was the sneaking stuff, just not my thing. I would say though if you didn't like the other assassin's creed games then pick this up because it's nothing really like them and it is a unique game in itself. The story was good until the last quarter of the game and then it was brilliant. The visuals was pretty good especially the sea, the ships blasting each other and boarding them never gets old, the characters and voice acting is great and the fighting in close quarters is fun similar to the batman arkham series. All together the best pirate game I've ever played. Expand
  5. Jul 24, 2016
    In my opinion the best game produced for the Ps4 to date. It's not without it's flaws - tailing missions grrr. But quite frankly if there's ever a pirate game to best this one it will be the greatest game ever made. The whole Assassin element isn't too prevalent until later on but there's so much fun to be had in the piracy side of things that it really isn't missed.

Edward Kenway is a

Edward Kenway is a truly impressive character excellently voiced and portrayed. The combat is very simple, maybe a bit too easy in this one but it's best for raiding ships which is highly impressive given the amount of action and detail going on.

If you haven't picked this up yet and are looking for a new game it's well worth buying, especially if you can get hold of the Jackdaw Edition.
  6. Jul 2, 2016
    I stuck it through to the end though with much toil. Play the game mindlessly and you’re in for half (or less) of a treat.

STRENUOUSLY dull. Repetitive map layouts. Repetitive missions. Rinse and repeat gameplay. An unfortunate feat for what is actually quite a beautiful game. Shoddy story-telling. Didn’t know what was happening most of the time. Didn’t care for half the characters.

Virtually sail your life away.

ON the UP side, however, being a pirate is rewardingly cool. Voice accents are pulled off well. There are one liners here and there which will have you with a fist in the air, spouting, aye aye cap’n for sure, that was me.

“At the edge of a blade, I find a friend in you at last…”
  7. Jun 30, 2016
    Quite simply the best assassins creed to date. The game seems to have so much more character than the others and this seems to totally immerse into the game. The Caribbean/Pirate setting is a work of genius. It's a good looking game that's extremely vivid in terms mood and graphics. An absolute blast !!
  8. May 14, 2016
    Simply the best Assassin's Creed out there.
    If you still haven't played it, you are missing some good ****

Now we are ready to head for the Horn,
    Way, ay, roll an' go!
    Our boots an' our clothes boys are all in the pawn,
    Timme rollickin' randy dandy O!

......
    Very good memories...
  9. May 11, 2016
    AC Black Flag was one of my favorite installments. I really think this one shined where AC III kind of flopped. The story alone is a wonderful one and really captures the greed of Edward Kenway and how it was more important than family, even though he was doing it for his wife. The pirate ship battles were great and very enticing but at some points they became a bit repetitive but all inAC Black Flag was one of my favorite installments. I really think this one shined where AC III kind of flopped. The story alone is a wonderful one and really captures the greed of Edward Kenway and how it was more important than family, even though he was doing it for his wife. The pirate ship battles were great and very enticing but at some points they became a bit repetitive but all in all it was a great. If you're a fan of the AC series and also a fan of pirates than this game is definitely for you. I give it an 8 out of 10 just because some parts are repetitive but I've come to expect that out of Ubisoft, sadly. Expand
  10. Mar 27, 2016
    Ultimo jogo bom da franquia. Sem mais ..................................................................................................................
  11. Mar 20, 2016
    Looking back this is probably the peak for this franchise. Giving full control of the ship is a master stroke. The setting is really good and I even learnt a little about the period.
  12. Mar 14, 2016
    Main character is terrible bored, badly written with combination very stupid story. After that side this is one of worst game on ps4 what i played yet. Age of pirates never fascinate me. This game not change it.
  13. Mar 10, 2016
    The worst Assassin's Creed game ever. Player controls, level design, AI, glitches everywhere... one of the worst games I've ever played.. can't remember worse right now.
  14. Mar 9, 2016
    This is the only Assassin's Creed series game i've played so far and i really enjoyed it! The vast open world is really cool to explore and the sea battles are fun! The main storyline is well written and the missions are creative. The story outside the nexus is kind of boring.. The multiplayer mode is boring and i think there are trophies in the game just to make us play it!
  15. Mar 7, 2016
    Compared to other new games this one has so many advantages, not only the exploration part but the atmospheric scenes and generally a pirate experience.Althought I didn't like the end of the story too cliche.
  16. Mar 4, 2016
    Assassins Creed IV Black Flag this is the best assassins creed game **** those people who hate this game it doesnt desrve that it had a great story amazing deatail and they realy make good job beetween the assassins and pirates u play as the badass edward kennway which is better than that weak conner the had a massive map its very big they throwing on it alot of exllent side mission andAssassins Creed IV Black Flag this is the best assassins creed game **** those people who hate this game it doesnt desrve that it had a great story amazing deatail and they realy make good job beetween the assassins and pirates u play as the badass edward kennway which is better than that weak conner the had a massive map its very big they throwing on it alot of exllent side mission and cool combat system satesfing gameplay if you are a huge fan for the franchise so this is the game to pickup its worth uour its worth 60 dollaars shut the **** up and pickitup **** Expand
  17. Mar 2, 2016
    The combat & parkour are still awful, just like in the whole series. These guys really beed to playing Dying Light to see how well parkour can be done (albeit from 1st person). Thankfully, the pirate sailing parts are wonderful. And the pirate parts of the plot are nice, and the main character is genuinely likable. But all of the standard Assassin's Creed parts are the worst parts. IThe combat & parkour are still awful, just like in the whole series. These guys really beed to playing Dying Light to see how well parkour can be done (albeit from 1st person). Thankfully, the pirate sailing parts are wonderful. And the pirate parts of the plot are nice, and the main character is genuinely likable. But all of the standard Assassin's Creed parts are the worst parts. I wish they'd just made a non-AC pirate game. Expand
  18. Feb 26, 2016
    Bought the original AC when it released for the PS3. It was new and so awesome. I remember being impressed by the graphics and how Altair walks pass pedestrians. So cool at the time never before seen in a video game I guess. Didn't have a good story and the gameplay was so repetitive. But the game was fresh and innovative. Few years later bought AC Revelations. Returned it the next dayBought the original AC when it released for the PS3. It was new and so awesome. I remember being impressed by the graphics and how Altair walks pass pedestrians. So cool at the time never before seen in a video game I guess. Didn't have a good story and the gameplay was so repetitive. But the game was fresh and innovative. Few years later bought AC Revelations. Returned it the next day cause it was pretty much the same thing. Wasn't interested in the setting as well. Graphics and gameplay didn't change much and boy the characters are unlikable like the first one. Skipped the rest. Then I bought the PS4 and there were so few games available. So I decided to buy Black Flag.

"It's Assassin's Creed so of course it's going to be based on the same mechanics. Idiot." Ok well this time Ubisoft added quite alot. It has a larger world map and you can go around assaulting forts, establishing settlements, treasure hunting and omg ship battles. The world is beautiful too as you sail across from island to island. The problem is it's still too familiar. Why can't Ubisoft make a pirate game as a separate IP. Because having the AC linked to it, you'll be dealing with the repetitive gameplay of stalking, eavedropping, chasing, climbing and dealing with dumb ai opponents. Over and over since the first game. Adding rpg elements like upgrading perks and weapons is a plus. Being open-world is also a good thing too. But why can't we create our character? The main character in BF is boring. So was Altair and that Italian old man. But overall, I came back and I just feel if I didn't really enjoy the core gameplay of the original AC, Black Flag is the same game + and therefore I won't like it.

So what can I say? It is a good game if you are new to the franchise. If you played a few AC installments before and you didn't like them (like me), don't expect there to be much difference in Black Flag. Please Ubisoft, make the next Assassin's Creed set in China or Japan. Somewhere exotic. Not the same thing again like England, France cause they're nothing special, really.
  19. Feb 10, 2016
    I was never a fan of the Assassin's Creed games, until now. What was it about this game that changed my mind. Friggin' pirates! My absolute favourite aspect of this game was the naval combat and just sailing in general. Even when the fast travel option was available, I often found myself hopping on my boat to sail there instead. I could spend 30 minutes just sitting there listening to myI was never a fan of the Assassin's Creed games, until now. What was it about this game that changed my mind. Friggin' pirates! My absolute favourite aspect of this game was the naval combat and just sailing in general. Even when the fast travel option was available, I often found myself hopping on my boat to sail there instead. I could spend 30 minutes just sitting there listening to my crew sing their sea-songs as we travelled past beautiful coastline and island villages. There was something thoroughly relaxing about the experience, something I have experienced in very few games to this date, and I was happy to indulge my time. The game itself followed the classic Assassin's Creed formula, albeit in a more appealing setting. The combat and parkour mechanics were simplistic but adequately satisfying. All-in-all, having wasted over 100 hours in this game, I can say I enjoyed my time immensley. Expand
  20. Feb 8, 2016
    This addition to the series is terrible. It was good for the first couple of hours, but it became extremely repetitive. The main story to Assassin's Creed, the one I've been wanting to finish, has been completely ignored and is not included to the game. This is the first Assassin's Creed game I didn't finish, and is the last game I'm purchasing. Since they aren't going to finish the story,This addition to the series is terrible. It was good for the first couple of hours, but it became extremely repetitive. The main story to Assassin's Creed, the one I've been wanting to finish, has been completely ignored and is not included to the game. This is the first Assassin's Creed game I didn't finish, and is the last game I'm purchasing. Since they aren't going to finish the story, I regret buying all of the previous games. Thank you for destroying what was once the best video game series I've played. Expand
  21. Jan 30, 2016
    A fun action-movie romp, with too much focus in the animus, and honestly, a pirate game in an Assassin's Creed skin. Doesn't really utilize the power of the PS4 due to being on all the old consoles.
  22. Jan 23, 2016
    amazing game to have in your collection, naval combat better than any game, and I highly recommend it for gift, or for yourself ... what are you waiting for, get it
  23. Jan 23, 2016
    okay this assasins creed game it not assasins creed it is pirate creed . it is so annoying that it has only five swords and five guns and it has a ton of upgrades for the creepy ship of yours . this game loose direction . it is just a defferent game . it is a nice game but it steel dessapointing me .
  24. Jan 5, 2016
    Awesome game! Land and sea battles are epic. If you are a fan of the series, this is definitely a must buy. Graphics were improved compared to previous consoles.
  25. Dec 12, 2015
    what the...? how did I miss this game?
    what the...? how did I miss this game?
    My buddy just let me borrow his copy and he was amazed that I had never played the AC series. I did play the original, back on the XBOX, but I remember getting bored pretty quickly. It was just a bit too linear for my style. I also couldn't get past the Animus thing - it felt like an unnecessary element that kept getting in the way of my fun. I know it's "essential" to the story - but couldn't the series just offer up the games now without the whole Animus part now? I mean, the series is well established and I just don't see how that part adds anything to the game. I'm sure hard core fans will disagree....anyhow ACBF is amazing - it feels much more open and free so I'm going to give the franchise another shot.
    Story - 8
    Graphics - 9
    Gameplay/Combat - 8
  26. Dec 9, 2015
    The best Assassin's Creed game made so far. I find the annualized titles in general to disappoint more than impress, but this game added some great things to make the game much more playable and enjoyable.

Pirate assassin. Enough said. The pirate parts of the games with the boat and island hopping is a mechanic I love and reminds me a lot of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Largest map I have played in an Assassin's Creed game by far, and that allowed for a lot of exploration in your shiny new boat!

On the negative side, you do have to remember this is yet another Assassin's Creed game. the gameplay is repeated as usual, but I like the smooth combat and movement a lot. This is the Assassin's Creed to bring back a story worth playing through.

In closing, if you only wanted to play one AC game, I would highly recommend this one. Glad Ubisoft finally made something a little new, and hope they continue the trend!

8.0/10
  27. Dec 3, 2015
    This was my first assassin's creed game (sorry other fans) and I thought it was pretty good, the graphics and the parkour and gameplay were all great!!! Especially the naval battles, those were hella fun!!!! The bad is that it's super easy like i can be fighting like 50 guys and it's a piece of cake all you got to press is the counter button and attack button the whole time over and overThis was my first assassin's creed game (sorry other fans) and I thought it was pretty good, the graphics and the parkour and gameplay were all great!!! Especially the naval battles, those were hella fun!!!! The bad is that it's super easy like i can be fighting like 50 guys and it's a piece of cake all you got to press is the counter button and attack button the whole time over and over and some of the locations look the same. But it's definitely worth buying. It's a gorgeous game. Expand
  28. Nov 14, 2015
    A classic Assassin's Creed, with the same qualities and drawbacks. It is still beautiful and immersive, but the limited gameplay and the repetitive missions/objectives/collectibles are still there too. The last straw is the ship gameplay, which is less good than AC3 (naval battles are less strategic and interesting mechanics disappear). In a nutshell, it is pleasant to play but not reallyA classic Assassin's Creed, with the same qualities and drawbacks. It is still beautiful and immersive, but the limited gameplay and the repetitive missions/objectives/collectibles are still there too. The last straw is the ship gameplay, which is less good than AC3 (naval battles are less strategic and interesting mechanics disappear). In a nutshell, it is pleasant to play but not really exciting. Expand
  29. Nov 1, 2015
    Great visuals. Great concept with the pirate/assassin story. Would really give this a higher score if I didn't play its predecessors. It got repetitive. Back then, I enjoyed assassinating and sneaking around but now it just made me realize that I have been playing the the games every release and it has bored me. Don't get me wrong, AC4 Black Flag has great visuals, great interactionGreat visuals. Great concept with the pirate/assassin story. Would really give this a higher score if I didn't play its predecessors. It got repetitive. Back then, I enjoyed assassinating and sneaking around but now it just made me realize that I have been playing the the games every release and it has bored me. Don't get me wrong, AC4 Black Flag has great visuals, great interaction between being an assassin and being a pirate. I really do enjoyed the pirate thing. But again it has been repetitive in ways I cannot explain. Would still recommend this if your new to the Assassin's Creed franchise but for people who played the past games I may not recommend this. Expand
  30. Oct 26, 2015
    Look, i don't need to write a long review to tell you this: Go buy this game right now if you don't already have it cause it's one of the best and and most enjoyable games that i have ever played, and probably ever will play. It is a flat out masterpiece in the fun factor.
  31. Oct 26, 2015
    Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag is easily the best game I have ever played! With a story that separates itself from its Assassins VS Templars concept for a more adventurist story of the pirate and Assassin, Edward Kenway. The music in this is amazing, the gameplay is amazing, the story is lengthy and interesting, and the vibe it creates is beautiful and there is nothing better then sailingAssassins Creed 4 Black Flag is easily the best game I have ever played! With a story that separates itself from its Assassins VS Templars concept for a more adventurist story of the pirate and Assassin, Edward Kenway. The music in this is amazing, the gameplay is amazing, the story is lengthy and interesting, and the vibe it creates is beautiful and there is nothing better then sailing into the sunset as your crew sings shanties, not to mention its massive amount of side missions that even after 100 hours you still won't have finished all of them. An easy 10/10 Expand
  32. Oct 16, 2015
    Another garbage AC game - do they pump these out every year? And this one has you killing not only people but whales, thanks for glorifying these barbaric practices!
  33. Sep 30, 2015
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is undoubtedly the worst Assassin's Creed installment in the franchise.

It saddens a long-time Assassin's Creed fan to see that so many pseudo fans and sham reviewers continue to praise this game incessantly, with the general claim that "Black Flag is great because being a pirate and sailing the ocean blue is awesome! A great pirate action-adventure game!" This is precisely why this game is rubbish — it's fraudulent. I bought this game knowing that I would have to be a pirate—and quite frankly didn't mind the idea of being one—but thinking that I would still predominantly be an Assassin, as the main title on the cover is "[Assassin's] Creed IV". I was wrong; the subtitle sadly has much, much higher precedence than the aforementioned main one; in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, YOU DO NOT PLAY AS AN ASSASSIN AT ALL. Neither from a story perspective or a gameplay one.

Edward Kenway was marketed as a "A Pirate Trained By Assassins". That tagline is far and away deceitful and out of sync with the storyline and the real origins of Edward's skills. Let's just say that Edward's tenure as an Assassin is momentary at best. For nearly the entire duration of the game, you will be playing as a pirate, plundering ships as you will and fighting for a liberated Pirate Republic alongside prominent sailors of the Golden Age of Piracy. That's all fine and dandy... if you want to only play as a pirate in a game marketed under the franchise name "[Assassin's] Creed". Do not—I repeat DO NOT—expect to play as an Assassin in this Assassin's Creed title. See how oxymoronic that sounds? Well, that's precisely what Assassin's Creed IV is — a glorified and fraudulent oxymoron in the form of a video game.

Despite the obvious focus on piracy and open conflict, a rudimentary, mock stealth system has been implemented to ensure that the game isn't a complete scam. You are equipped with an inadequate and poorly-designed stealth implementation, yet still expected to go through some missions undetected. This shoddy attempt to incorporate an Assassin experience is only further hindered by the abysmal level design, which clearly lends itself towards open conflict. Assassin's Creed IV's main missions are surprisingly more linear than its predecessors' and have little to no variation; you'll either be working as best you can with the horrendous stealth implementation while tailing or sneaking on land or recursively immobilizing and boarding ships on the high seas. Either way, you will be met with a slew of missions containing very little variation and even less focus on any variant of stealth whatsoever — that is to say that social stealth is well-nigh non-existent in this game.

Edward Kenway is a nice addition and is quite a likeable character, in a one-dimensional way, however. He's likeable by virtue of being a prototypical pirate — greedy, rebellious and selfish. Besides also being one of the funnier Assassins in the series, that's really all there is to like about him. Edward severely lacks the substance of his Assassin forerunners (Altaïr and Ezio) and his story isn't even remotely an interesting one; it's more entertaining than it is compelling or inspiring. His character development has no pace and occurs at the turn of a dime towards the game's conclusion, and as such, felt rushed and forced more than anything. Overall, Edward Kenway is an enjoyable character deprived of the quality and substance that made his predecessors (chronologically; not including Connor) memorable.

In conclusion, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is neither a good pirate or Assassin's Creed game, though the severe lack of the former seems to be a prominent reason as to why this game is being treated as the savior of the franchise. In truth, it is the ground zero of the series' demise, in which all following games will consist of repetitive open conflict and mundane stealth sequences; the death of [Assassin's] Creed and birth of [Fighter's] Creed, if you will.

If you aren't a true fan of Assassin's Creed and want a primitive, pirating simulator rather than a stealth-orientated, assassination simulator, you will like this game.
  34. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game looks absolutely amazing and excels with the sheer sense of scope. Giving this a 10 to counter some of the frankly absurd 0s that I have been seeing. To rate this a 0 takes a troll of the highest caliber and likely someone who has never actually played the game. If you do not like this game fine, but to say its not a well crafted and enjoyable game seems bizarre to me. My favorite setting of all Assassin's creed games hands down. They have captured the Caribbean in a way that I wouldn't have thought possible and the share feature of the PS4 has been put to great use with one stunning vista after another. Expand
  35. Aug 28, 2015
    Best Assassins Creed to date. Although the sea adventures are somewhat drawn out and overdone the overall gameplay is excellent. The Next-Gen Engine also creates a stunning world to play in. The only other thing that holds this game back is the mediocre AI intelligence, other than that it is a captivating must play title
  36. Aug 21, 2015
    The year is 1715. Pirates rule the waters of the Caribbean and have established a lawless Republic. Among these outlaws is a lethal young captain named Edward Kenway. His notorious exploits earn the respect of legends like Blackbeard, but draw him into an ancient war that may destroy everything the pirates have built for themselves.
  37. Jul 31, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. every year a new AC.. after brotherhood this game is a disaster. ubisoft is a nice **** money-taking company. the only think about black flag that i like was the pirate ship, Battleships. Expand
  38. Jul 1, 2015
    Ok, maybe this game is not for fans of the serie because it adds just so little content to the saga. But if you can abstract from that, the game has a lot of effort, you have combat, stealth, graphics, open world, islands, sailing!! There is a lot to do in this game, a lot of cities to discover. This game is the best AC technically speaking.
  39. Jun 30, 2015
    After AC II there has not been another AC game as good it was. Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag is breaking the streak. This game is the best AC game with AC II. Great gameplay mechanics, huge open world that you can roam freely with your boat. AC III gave a hint of the naval combat, but they were saving it for this game. The naval combat is amazing. The story is long once again and it feelsAfter AC II there has not been another AC game as good it was. Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag is breaking the streak. This game is the best AC game with AC II. Great gameplay mechanics, huge open world that you can roam freely with your boat. AC III gave a hint of the naval combat, but they were saving it for this game. The naval combat is amazing. The story is long once again and it feels great. Edward Kenway is just as witty and badass as Ezio was in his youth.

And the present day stuff is not boring either. This game has the least of present day stuff compared to the other games in the series. They have also completely innovated the present day system and it was actually fun to go back to the present day every once in a while after playing with pirates in the 1800th century.

(I played this game when it came out, I'm just now writing the review)
  40. Jun 13, 2015
    Black Flag: The Pirate Simulator.

Black Flag: The Pirate Simulator.

This game doesn't feel like an Assassin's Creed game at all. You spend most of your time sailing around shooting ships. The actual story is one of the worst scripted games I've ever played. The character arcs are ridiculous and nonsensical, the characters themselves are boring and uninteresting, the 'twists are predictable and again uninteresting (e.g Mary).

The game feels unfinished and abandoned, with bugs and issues such as characters becoming invisible during missions so then you have to restart, or the uplay integration not working at all, and therefore syncing with the much drummed-up Android companion app just not happening.

Developers literally gave up on the game once it was out the door.

Trying as hard as I can to forget this was an Assassins Creed game, and to try to enjoying it for what it is (Pirate Simulator) it's still impossible to actually get much enjoyment for this game. Each pointless and dull story mission doesn't seem to really go anywhere, showing 'rate this mission feedback' prompt after every game chapter... note to developers, this is an annoying enough prompt on Android or iOS, keep the crap away from consoles.

The link from this game to the rest of the series is almost non-existent, the over-saturation of Americanism that Ubisoft have forced on to the series really takes it toll by this game, it was heavy-handed in AC3, but playable, and Liberation at least had a good story to tell, but Black Flag really just has no point being American, the whole world had sailors and pilots, yet it just highlights how Ubisoft were appealing only to the American Market.

So far this is the worst in the series, and with Unity opened and ready next to the tv, I fear what I am to expect for this game. Such a great series ruined for no particular reason.

Onto the visuals. Obviously the best looking AC game so far (as technology dictates) but the ridiculous frequency of hurricanes and rain storms outweighs the pretty environments, and the joy of sailing around.

The mini games are tedious and feel very forced into the game. The Kenwood Fleet battles are repetitive and boring, just select any decent ship you've taken and it'll give you a 100% success rate...so why even bother playing? The diving sub-levels are horribly frustrating, trying to swim around 8-10 sharks when they can easily swim twice the speed you can, with no way to defend yourself, whilst avoiding jellyfish and spiky urchins in narrow passages, while dodging pillars of rock as currents drag you through tunnels... not fun in the slightest.

Even swimming in the original tomb raider game was more enjoyable than Black Flag, back in 1996. How a game made 18 years later with thousands of games to take influence from - made such a terrible underwater diving sub-game is insane.

All Animus related levels were shallow, boring and terribly limited. No challenge to the 'computer hacking' mini-levels, just trial and error, and Black Flags version of 'the truth secrets' is just pitiful.

If this game was released as a new franchise, not linked to Assassins Creed in any way, with a completely different plot, and direction, with fewer bugs and side characters, and no sub-games, this could've been more like Red Dead Redemption: Pirates. An exploitative experience with bandits (pirates) and attacking wild animals. With a stronger character arc, and a somewhat interesting mix of side characters, this game could've been something memorable. Instead it's just a failure. A failure as a cinematic game, a failure as an Assassin's Creed game, a failure as a captivating experience, and even a failure as a pirate simulator, despite being clearly orientated as trying to be just that.
  41. May 22, 2015
    Think ninja pirates are awesome? The fourth main assassin in the Assassin’s Creed franchise is Edward Kenway, Connor’s grandfather and a pirate of the Caribbean Sea. It could be argued that Black Flag is more of a pirate game than an AC one but I didn’t find myself caring. With a large open Caribbean world filled with things to do and sights to see, this game stands as one of the greatestThink ninja pirates are awesome? The fourth main assassin in the Assassin’s Creed franchise is Edward Kenway, Connor’s grandfather and a pirate of the Caribbean Sea. It could be argued that Black Flag is more of a pirate game than an AC one but I didn’t find myself caring. With a large open Caribbean world filled with things to do and sights to see, this game stands as one of the greatest of all action/adventure games. The story is disappointing but the visuals and gameplay are most definitely not. It’s when you’re not completing main objectives when this game shines brightest. Get into epic naval battles and plunder the ships to upgrade the Jackdaw, jumping on and off your ship any time you want. Take out camps of enemy soldiers with a variety of weapons and tools. Hunt animals such as jaguars, monkeys, and crocodiles or harpoon sharks and whales. Search for sunken treasure. There’s plenty of fun to be had! Expand
  42. May 19, 2015
    It's really a shame, this is my first Assassin's creed game and I was expecting epicness and wonder. Boyyyy I was soo wrong, combat is extremely repetitively easy, you can easily kill pretty much all the enemies without hiding like an assassin. The ship combat was fun though, it was suprisingly enjoyable conquering forts and legendary ships. Pretty graphics is a plus.

Story mode was a

Story mode was a bore, at some point while playing this game I really didn;t get enough motivation to want to finish the game. I don't normally leave bad ratings, because I strongly believe that each and every game has a "wow" factor. Overall, black flag was very disappointing and I expected more from it.
  43. May 17, 2015
    The first Assassin's Creed game I've played and absolutely loved it. The story was capturing and always encouraged me to play on. The gameplay was fluid and not too difficult or repetitive. The open world was great with many places to explore and the added element of sailing the ship, which you desperately tried to collect money to upgrade. To top it all of there was a great soundtrack.The first Assassin's Creed game I've played and absolutely loved it. The story was capturing and always encouraged me to play on. The gameplay was fluid and not too difficult or repetitive. The open world was great with many places to explore and the added element of sailing the ship, which you desperately tried to collect money to upgrade. To top it all of there was a great soundtrack. Enjoyed the game so much I bought the book to find out what happens next, Expand
  44. May 2, 2015
    First off let me start by saying this is in fact a great game and most the reviews here if you read what their complaining about its due to their bad play and not being able to figure out what my 8 year old can..... The game looks great, has the classic Assassins Creed feel for controls, and all the new features keep the game from getting repetitive. Just fully upgrading your ship andFirst off let me start by saying this is in fact a great game and most the reviews here if you read what their complaining about its due to their bad play and not being able to figure out what my 8 year old can..... The game looks great, has the classic Assassins Creed feel for controls, and all the new features keep the game from getting repetitive. Just fully upgrading your ship and property alone is many fun hours.

Again I urge people to try this game out for themselves. Also if we want metacritic to continue to be reliable we ALL need to start marking ratiings on game as unhelpful if their obviously troll reviews. Otherwise developers have no clue what to focus on and a crap game like Unity gets made. 0-2 rating implies the game crashes all the time and is barely functional.
  45. Apr 30, 2015
    Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag is a game I enjoyed immensely. It controls and plays better than Assassin’s Creed III and its hard not to enjoy causing all sorts of mayhem on land and sea.
  46. Apr 17, 2015
    This game suffers unfortunately from what I like to call "Out of Place Level Syndrome" This game has no idea what is wants to be. At first it starts as more of an action game where you ride across the seas and plunder ships and kill for blood. And then you're lazily put into these forced stealth missions where you're NOT ALLOWED TO KILL ANYONE. The name of the game is ASSASSIN'S Creed.This game suffers unfortunately from what I like to call "Out of Place Level Syndrome" This game has no idea what is wants to be. At first it starts as more of an action game where you ride across the seas and plunder ships and kill for blood. And then you're lazily put into these forced stealth missions where you're NOT ALLOWED TO KILL ANYONE. The name of the game is ASSASSIN'S Creed. Emphasis on the word ASSASSIN. It's a very nice word. An Assassin is a person who kills, not a person who does't kill because of arbitrary rules. It's only fun for the first 2 hours and after that it's just lazy mission after lazy mission. Don't pick up this game unless you want to pay 40$ for 2 hours of fun. And if you are that person then you're insane. Expand
  47. Apr 14, 2015
    Assassin's Creed 4 is the Pirate game. Graphics are good gameplay is not bad. Story is Mediocre. I like this game but this is not AC game.

My score 7/10
  48. Apr 9, 2015
    ♪♫ Who lives in a pirate ship, over the sea? Edward Kenway! ♪♫ Who lives in a pirate ship, over the sea? Edward Kenway, Edward Kenway, Ed-d-dward Kenway! Sea shanties play a huge role in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (such as the one I attempted to make, sing it using the Spongebob theme), mainly because most of the game you will be sailing your ship. At first, this is fun. After the♪♫ Who lives in a pirate ship, over the sea? Edward Kenway! ♪♫ Who lives in a pirate ship, over the sea? Edward Kenway, Edward Kenway, Ed-d-dward Kenway! Sea shanties play a huge role in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (such as the one I attempted to make, sing it using the Spongebob theme), mainly because most of the game you will be sailing your ship. At first, this is fun. After the first few hours it started to get repetitive for me as I would be doing the same thing; incapacitating a ship, then boarding it. Other than the sea potions, the game also takes place on land. The gameplay is fun for the most part, except for when I started getting bored of sailing my ship. If being a captain of the high seas is your thing, ignore what I said about it being boring. The land portions are entertaining. The story is where this game is weak, you spend the whole story doing something that, for me at least, did not seam very interesting. I had no ambition to play the outside of animus story either as it doesn't really develop into as much as I had hoped. However, the characters are interesting in this game. I was really interested in the lives of Edward's companions, such as Blackbeard; I was also interested in Edward's past. This game rates a 6/10, it is a good game. Expand
  49. Apr 6, 2015
    It's a great game: it has a smooth gameplay (one of the best in the series), however, it just doesn't fit very well in the series. It's a beautiful looking game, and that's why I kept playing it, mostly because of it's aesthetics. The story is well decent, with a much better protagonist than Connor. The reason i'm giving this game an 8 is because of the naval battles. They're fun andIt's a great game: it has a smooth gameplay (one of the best in the series), however, it just doesn't fit very well in the series. It's a beautiful looking game, and that's why I kept playing it, mostly because of it's aesthetics. The story is well decent, with a much better protagonist than Connor. The reason i'm giving this game an 8 is because of the naval battles. They're fun and innovative. And that's what you get with this ame: a one big pirate game. Expand
  50. Mar 29, 2015
    If you are going to spend A LOT of hours with secondary missions fine, but if you just want to go through the main history...be ready to feel frustrated like hell, repeating the same unbalanced ship battle over and over and over.
    Resources to improve your ship are totally crazy, specially metal. And warehouses (where you find metal) don't resupply even if the main history advanced years...pretty pathetic.
  51. Mar 24, 2015
    Pretty good game. The story is interesting but some missions can take many tries to do and can be frustrating. The ship battles and sailing are extremely fun in AC4. The on land parts like freerunning and fights are pretty boring, and its pretty much auto running. You just hold r2 and move the left stick and Edward automatically parkours wherever you point him to go. It has a pretty largePretty good game. The story is interesting but some missions can take many tries to do and can be frustrating. The ship battles and sailing are extremely fun in AC4. The on land parts like freerunning and fights are pretty boring, and its pretty much auto running. You just hold r2 and move the left stick and Edward automatically parkours wherever you point him to go. It has a pretty large world, but feels small because of how fast your ship moves and how large it is. Expand
  52. Mar 23, 2015
    I really wanted to like this game but the lack of control over the character's movement is so bad that I couldn't even get through the first level after the tutorial. He jumps when I intend him to run or walk or while trying to be stealthy - it's exceedingly frustrating.
  53. Mar 22, 2015
    I was pleasantly surprised by the quality experience Black Flag offered after its slightly disappointing predecessor. The naval battles were better than ever before and the new protagonist Edward provides a new breath of fresh air into the series. Gone are the days of monotone ranting! The story and combat changes are thankfully only minor nitpicks for this otherwise great game.
  54. Mar 17, 2015
    Holy crap! I played this game for the first time today and I can't believe what I've been missing! I've never been truly invested in the Assassin's Creed franchise. I played a few of the old games: Assassins Creed 2 and a bit of Revelations. Assassins Creed 2 was fun at times and the graphics were amazing for it's time but I didn't enjoy it as much as I felt I should have done. TheHoly crap! I played this game for the first time today and I can't believe what I've been missing! I've never been truly invested in the Assassin's Creed franchise. I played a few of the old games: Assassins Creed 2 and a bit of Revelations. Assassins Creed 2 was fun at times and the graphics were amazing for it's time but I didn't enjoy it as much as I felt I should have done. The controls were sometimes uncomfortable and both the stealth and the parkour mechanics felt clunky. What's more, the game got rather repetitive and tedious half way through and I never finished it because of this. Assassins Creed Black Flag fixes all of those issues. The controls have been significantly improved so you're only holding down the R2 button instead of R2 and X, and you can now jump. The free running mechanics feel somewhat more fluid and there's much less frustratingly jumping off of tall buildings to your death. Stealth has also been added to, though it's admittedly still not excellent. What makes this game excellent, though, in my opinion is the epic naval battles. I cannot begin to describe how cool these are! There's so much fun to be had in fighting against enemy ships and then boarding them, assassinating the crew and looting their goods. I haven't been able to go back to Assassins Creed 2 because I don't want to play another Assassins Creed that doesn't have this awesome naval combat. Though I consider the sailing and naval battles to be the meat of the game I also had a ton of fun with the other traditional Assassins Creed activities, mostly consisting of finding collectables and climbing to viewpoints. Exploration is heavily rewarded in this game and it has a huge open world that I know will take me a while to fully explore! Finally the story in Assassins Creed Black Flag is great. It is perhaps less engaging than Assassins Creed 2's story but nevertheless has a variety of interesting characters and good writing. If you haven't played this game, pick it up. I've had a love-hate relationship with the Assassins Creed franchise but this game truly blew me away when I first played it. Expand
  55. Feb 14, 2015
    Very much improved over ACIII . Probably the best Creed game to date . The battle action is quicker than III's, and the ship handling is vastly improved . Sailing the ship into a sea battle is really the greatest upgrade to the game. Edward's double swords are awesome in ground fighting , especially the two sword throat slash.
  56. Feb 10, 2015
    I have never been all that much of a fan of the Assassin's Creed games. I made it halfway through number 2 and quit out of fatigue and never made it back. This is my first attempt since then to give the franchise another shot. Not because I miss the stupid animus **** the painfully awkward parkour system, the endlessly boring and ridiculously finicky eavesdropping/tailing/sneakingI have never been all that much of a fan of the Assassin's Creed games. I made it halfway through number 2 and quit out of fatigue and never made it back. This is my first attempt since then to give the franchise another shot. Not because I miss the stupid animus **** the painfully awkward parkour system, the endlessly boring and ridiculously finicky eavesdropping/tailing/sneaking missions that 95% of the main campaign consists of, but for the pirating stuff. The sailing around and exploring are what make this game fun. Any one of the numerous side missions are much more enjoyable than any of the main ones. Someone else said it in their review, but it is a damn shame a good pirate game had to be stapled to a **** Assassin's Creed game. It probably would have been a 9.5 otherwise. Expand
  57. Feb 3, 2015
    AC Black Flag is a good game and you will want to play if you are an AC's fan but it has its flaws.
    Gameplay is better than previous games of the franchise (stealth system and parkour), the graphics are pretty solid and reflect the new generation of consoles. Story wise is interesting but l don't like how they handle the main character on the present time, on the other hand Edward is a bad ass and greedy person, it failed to make you feel something about what was happening to him. On top of that the story is not driven on the best possible way, sometimes you just know where you need to go because of the map, otherwise you would never know what is coming next. Open world is cool and the addition of the ship is just incredible, that feeling of sailing is great however even when it's a big map, it is very limited in variants, that's the reason side missions get repetitive over the time. What I hated is that the forced you to repeat side missions in order to improve your ship and be able to progress on the main story.

+ Graphics
    + Stealth/Parkour System
    + World atmosphere (ship, music, etc.)

- Story/character development
    - Side missions are repetitive
    - Forced to improve your ship by side missions
  58. Jan 11, 2015
    This is, by far, the best Assassin's Creed in the series. Edward Kenway is a likable character, on par with Ezio, and the beautiful scenery tops it all off. The controls do have some quirks tho but that's something AC veterans are used to by now. The only downside, to me at least, is that this instalment doesn't progress the overall storyline that much.
  59. Jan 4, 2015
    The assassins creed franchise has had its ups and downs. The previous, 3rd installment failed to keep me interested, as it was the first I did not play through. This one however, is well worth playing. The story is rather weak, but the universe is gripping and very well made. Next to The Shadow of Mordor, this is the best ps4 game in my little collection (so far).
  60. Jan 2, 2015
    A great looking game with a story that pulls you in, unfortunately I had difficulty with the controls, when running through a town I would start climbing when I didn't want to. This game is really hard, I got stuck on a mission where I needed to catch someone running away and after several attempts gave up and haven't played it since
  61. Dec 28, 2014
    I bought this game after a long hiatus from the AC world, expecting to see sweeping changes. Ive always loved the idea and lore behind the AC story. Your part of an elite group of assasins who have existed throughout history fighting the templar. Whats not to like.

Alas, it was my expectations that made me regret ever purchasing this game. Everything is pretty much the same except you are now in the Caribbean!

Things flow out like this, go to said location, climb tower and unlock part of that area and the tasteless repetitive side quests. I wouldnt mind that if the actual gameplay/fighting wasnt as bad. Instead however, the combat is easy repetitive and boring. You are always faced with the same three enemies. Officers, Normal soldiers, and some burly guy with an axe. And once you figure out how to deflect (press O) its so easy that it doesnt even matter if you get swarmed.

The naval combat was fun, it is enjoyable to sail around and listen to your crew sing their shanties as you wreak havock on merchants and ports (which you can attack). However, once your jackdaw was upgraded fully and you took down the legendary ships even naval warfare came to be another repititive issue. (Attack ships, taking low health, board enemy ship, animation cuts fight with all other ships, kill all on board, regain ships health).

For the stealth misions, i found it out that there is no actual stealth button. However, it is fairly easy to go through a mission stealthy regardless (enemies are not to bright).

Multiplayer, I found to be an interesting aspect but nearly died from boredom to reach level 55 and unlock that last trophy to hit that platinum.

The good:

AC really has the free run aspect nailed down
    Naval warfare was alot of fun
    Indepth story if you can connect all the AC games together
    Shanties were great to listen to

The bad:

Major issue: Repetitive game play which has you doing the same things over and over and over and over again.
    Combat not diverse enough
    Combat extremely easy
    Multi player loses taste after a few hours

no stealth mode.

Bottom Line: If you are an AC fan and cant get enough I would get this game. Otherwise, I would steer clear. There are other games out there that offer a greater variety in enemies, more challenging combat, and a story mode which is clear to anyone who hasnt been playing AC since its release.
  62. Dec 16, 2014
    Another great game that won't get out of it's own way. If I want to play the story, let me play the story. If I want to raid, pillage, sea battle, dive for treasure, hunt, craft, take over forts and the like I shouldn't be hampered until I finish a certain story mission. "Why can I only send one ship on trade route when I have twenty not doing anything else?" and similar frustratingAnother great game that won't get out of it's own way. If I want to play the story, let me play the story. If I want to raid, pillage, sea battle, dive for treasure, hunt, craft, take over forts and the like I shouldn't be hampered until I finish a certain story mission. "Why can I only send one ship on trade route when I have twenty not doing anything else?" and similar frustrating needless limits on the "open world" really dampen the experience. Still, quite fun overall with great multiplayer game modes. Again, level linked unlocking is not my favorite, but it's not totally unreasonable overall. Expand
  63. Dec 7, 2014
    Worst in the series. (I haven't played Unity yet) It was just boring the free roam was just meh it got repetitive, then the multiplayer :l why even this it's not really need in my opinion, even though others enjoy it, I just really didn't like it, and I heard Unity is trash well lets hope that rouge us good
  64. Dec 2, 2014
    AC IV: Black Flag is one of the better looking games I've played so far on the PS4. The world is colorful and detailed. The cities and settlements look stunning and are fun to explore, although it isn't exactly a 'real' open world, as each area has its boundaries beyond which you cannot explore further.

The controls lack a bit of finesse, which can be frustrating sometimes. Also the mandatory pirating activities start to feel like a grind after a while, as they're necessary to further upgrade your ship, which in its turn is a requirement to be able to start some of the story missions. And this is where it kind of starts to fall apart. If you don't care much about the pirating part, you'll encounter a point in the game where you suddenly need big improvements on your ship. And the only way to get these is to go play pirate to get the necessary resources, so you're in for a long grind...

Apart from that the story is a joy to play through and the missions are varied. Count with that the countless number of sidequests and collectibles, and you know you'll be in it for a while.

Microtransactions are available but not required to play the game (luckily). Still there should be no place for such nonsense in a full retail game.

+ Graphics
    + Story
    + Overall fun factor if you don't mind the mandatory pirate gameplay
    + Lots of content

- Mandatory pirate activities
    - Open world isn't really 'open'
    - Microtransactions
  65. Nov 15, 2014
    The story is on the level of the series best so far, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. It' protagonist is by far the best in the series, however the game doesn't really have an antagonist to combat through the plot, unless you count the protagonist himself. Sadly, the gameplay and animations are from the clunky ACIII version, which can become frustrating when you're doing racing mission toThe story is on the level of the series best so far, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. It' protagonist is by far the best in the series, however the game doesn't really have an antagonist to combat through the plot, unless you count the protagonist himself. Sadly, the gameplay and animations are from the clunky ACIII version, which can become frustrating when you're doing racing mission to capture someone, or trying to escape, and you get hung up on a wall or decide to crouch on a pole, allowing your enemies to freely shoot you or whack away at you with their swords. At least they toned down the number of enemies on the rooftops so that you can move through town without setting off a hornet's nest. Overall, when movements are performed flawlessly, it looks great. As far as the overall graphics, it's the best so far being in 1080p with no frame drops. The open world is the biggest, without being bored to tears, as you have fast travel, plenty of ships to meet an plunder, or castaways to save and islands to explore. I easily put in a hundred hours playing this. Pirate combat is tough at first because you need to speed resources and money to upgrade your ship. At the end of the game, my ship was not fully leveled up, but I was finally a terror on the seas that I was hoping for. (A good terror because you can't attack innocent vessels without going out of sync+all your assassin contracts are for evil, bad people who are slave traders, smugglers, and those who prey on the weak). Excellent voice work and music all throughout the game. The time I spent in Black Flag was very enjoyable because they hit the 18th century caribbean atmosphere perfectly. Just clean up the wonky combat and animated movement and this game would've been a ten. Expand
  66. Nov 11, 2014
    I did not like assassin creed games in the past seemed so linear and made me not want to play them. However after playing this up to 35% I am really happy that I gave the series another shot and want to spend all my time at sea gaining loot! I really like the graphics in this game, very well done. I like the pirate ship and boating action in this game, being able to dive, spear fish,I did not like assassin creed games in the past seemed so linear and made me not want to play them. However after playing this up to 35% I am really happy that I gave the series another shot and want to spend all my time at sea gaining loot! I really like the graphics in this game, very well done. I like the pirate ship and boating action in this game, being able to dive, spear fish, openly explore the sea is really a good idea and rendered beautifully. I like how on islands, etc. you can make a mini game out of climbing tree branches to achieve your goals. The only down side to the game in my opinion is the wonky movement, that at any minute you can accidently do some movement you really did not want to do. Overall I am happy with this game. Expand
  67. Nov 7, 2014
    I have been a fan since the beginning. Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag has many improvements over AC3 and is largely a great game with a few missteps like repetitive missions and uneven story issues. I think this is honestly the best pirate game ever made it hits the nail on the head for the pirate theme in fact it focuses more on pirates than assassins and gels them both togetherI have been a fan since the beginning. Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag has many improvements over AC3 and is largely a great game with a few missteps like repetitive missions and uneven story issues. I think this is honestly the best pirate game ever made it hits the nail on the head for the pirate theme in fact it focuses more on pirates than assassins and gels them both together convincingly.

Side activities - The things to do outside the story missions are incredible, assassin contracts, sneaking into enemy islands or caves to loot treasure, freeing captured pirates, many things gives you money, loot, territory and crew members. With loot you can built your ship, your character and it allows you to tackle bigger challenges, there is always something that engages you and makes you feel like you’re doing something new. The Templar hunt quests are awesome and do an amazing job of expanding the world in which you live in. You can tackle all side missions in whatever way you want.
    This game has hunting and it is quite fun you can shoot predators down from a distance hidden in bushes or in trees or you can confront them using quick time events to kill them. Using their pelts to upgrade your ship, weapons, tools and character. Another great side activity is the underwater sections where you swim in shipwrecks looking for loot, treasure and ship blueprints. The funnest thing about this is the way you can hide from sharks in reeds and always have to go back to air pockets for an extra breath; you feel very vulnerable which an exciting rush is.

Naval combat - Very fun and satisfying, you could bored other ships for literally hours without getting bored there is just SO MANY different ways to approach other ships. You can attack and conquer other forts which is addictive first using your naval combat from a distance to destroy their canons while attacking/dodging other ships near and far, then jumping straight into the chaos on the fort ground to cut through the enemies utilizing the ground combat then finally assassinating the captain.

Mission structure and gameplay - Okay for allot of the missions they are very open and let you tackle them in whatever way you wish with little handholding, which is very important, however this is one of the real lacking parts of the game the overall repetitiveness of the main missions. WAY too many missions you will find yourself doing the exact same thing over and over again whether it is eavesdropping, tailing someone or something in-between. The parkour and freedom of movement is great but can be tricky and pretty much is the same as in AC3 but tree running ans siling is smooth and works very well. The way you can go from running to sailing in seconds is really special.

Story - The story is very well thought out and lasts about 22 hours or so, as you follow Edward through his personal journey and experience the historic moments of the period is great and participating in them is amazing, something that makes all AC games truly special. All the main characters are convincingly accurate especially Black Beard he is SO WELL DONE. You start to feel attached to the main character especially in the later missions. However it is not without its downsides some missions are not very well explained and you will wonder how you got there and why you are really doing it.

Combat - The combat is fun at first and there are some really cool kill animations but largely it stays the same as AC3 just counter the incoming enemies attacks and they die or just keep tapping attack to kill the weaker guys. But it’s not horrible, a good side is there are different enemy types that require different means to kill them like you will have to counter with a different weapon such as a gun or requiring you to break their defense before striking, this keeps combat away from being too repetitive.

One thing I just have to say is that for us hardcore fans we have noticed that the AC games have gotten less about the assassin way of life and has focused more on the theme. Such as in AC3 where Connor was more of a warrior than an assassin and was not fully dedicated to the order. Similarities can be seen here. The stealth and eavesdropping has not really evolved much, there needs to be more assassinating and stealthy upgrades.

So to round Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag up most side activities are engaging and enjoyable, the naval combat is the best part of the game and is one all in its self, the theme of pirates is done exquisitely, the main missions can get old but they are not terrible, combat is over familiar, decent but nothing special, story is great but can seem random sometimes, music is amazing, parkour and gameplay is still upheld, and last but not least the landscapes are absolutely beautiful and stunning to observe.
  68. Oct 30, 2014
    How can this game have such a low meta and user score? It's ridiculous. Had they included EITHER the massive gameplay elements present in the piracy mode, or the standard AC ground missions and assassination elements, it would easily be a relative 9 compared to scores given to other much more shallow games.

But instead you get both, more or less 2 games in one. Tons of content, and

But instead you get both, more or less 2 games in one. Tons of content, and that's to say nothing of what I thought was very beautiful graphics, and scenery presented. I got the game as a gift, and it's still easily the best game I've played on the PS4, with D3 coming a close second. You'll notice that D3, and other highly rated games on the PS4 are ports. Insult to injury when you consider the achievement AC4 is, to be one of the first games on a new platform, to do it so well, and to be ORIGINAL.

The story is also incredible. People don't like the animus bits. I guess I do. They kept me intrigued. But that's not the story I'm referring to. This is a game about principles, dreams, and loss. It's not a happy ending everything-is-great type story, and perhaps somewhere in there is the reason why people don't appreciate it fully. It's emotionally powerful, and heavy. It's part of a growing movement of better storytelling in gaming, but hasn't really gotten the credit for it.
  69. Oct 26, 2014
    Black Flag is the best entry in the series since AC II. Kenway makes for a much more fun protagonist and his story isn't bogged down in the usual political nonsense, instead we're given a fun swashbuckling pirate adventure which makes full use of it's gorgeously realised Carribean setting with the best mechanics of the series to date.
  70. Oct 23, 2014
    Pretty good game, minimal problems with story and the combat is pretty decent. My friend loaned me the game and I have enjoyed the time I have put into it.
  71. Oct 20, 2014
    Pass a "fourth", emotions are twofold. Clearly more positive than negative. Setting "Assassins vs pirates" fell nice, however, not a lover of ships, this type of transport is not particularly fun for me, but cheerfully boarding mode saved the whole situation for me. In the storyline, can not say anything, was absolutely indifferent, typical plots in the style of the previous loan. I canPass a "fourth", emotions are twofold. Clearly more positive than negative. Setting "Assassins vs pirates" fell nice, however, not a lover of ships, this type of transport is not particularly fun for me, but cheerfully boarding mode saved the whole situation for me. In the storyline, can not say anything, was absolutely indifferent, typical plots in the style of the previous loan. I can say that this part is the leap forward rather than a step back. A huge number of customizations and opportunities make believe that we really play open world game. Among the negative aspects I want to mention - absolutely stupid missions "nowadays abstergo", especially the fact that our protagonist is voiceless. Summarizing we can advise this game to those who did not believe that a series of Assassins Creed should be a blueprint is made from part to part. The game is definitely worth buying, and even seasonal access to take those who love the theme of pirates, and indeed sea battles. As a result, the game is decent, as taken separately or as a continuation of the adventures of various Assassins in different corners of the earth. Ranked # 8 of 10. Expand
  72. Oct 20, 2014
    Пройден "четвертый", эмоции двоякие. Однозначно скорее положительные, чем отрицательные. Сеттинг "Ассассины среди пиратов" пришёлся по душе, однако, как не любителю кораблей, постоянные передвижения на данном виде транспорта не особо доставляли, но бодрейшие абордажи спасали всю ситуацию. По сюжету сказать ничего не могу, к нему остался абсолютно равнодушен, типичные заговоры в стилеПройден "четвертый", эмоции двоякие. Однозначно скорее положительные, чем отрицательные. Сеттинг "Ассассины среди пиратов" пришёлся по душе, однако, как не любителю кораблей, постоянные передвижения на данном виде транспорта не особо доставляли, но бодрейшие абордажи спасали всю ситуацию. По сюжету сказать ничего не могу, к нему остался абсолютно равнодушен, типичные заговоры в стиле предыдущих Кредо. Могу сказать, что данная часть скорее прорыв вперед, нежели шаг назад. Огромное количество различных кастомизаций и возможностей даёт поверить, что перед нами действительно игра с открытым миром, который, в свою очередь, живёт своей жизнью. Из негативных моментов хочу отметить абсолютно тупые миссии "в наши дни", особенно тот факт что наш главный герой немой. Подводя итог можно посоветовать эту игру тем, кто не считает, что серия Assassins Creed должна быть под копирку сделана от части к части. Игру определённо стоит покупать, да ещё и сезонный доступ взять тем, кто любит тематику пиратов, да и вообще морские сражения. В итоге игра получилась достойной, как отдельно взятая, так и как продолжение приключений различных Убийц в разных краях света. Оценка 8 из 10. Expand
  73. Oct 17, 2014
    Amazing story and gameplay loved it
    when i started playing i was bored because most of the missions were at sea....but once the real story starts its amazing...!
  74. Oct 15, 2014
    Why not just make it a pirate game? Black Flag is a game held back because of it's misguided Assassin's Creed tittle. An identity that forces itself on some truly fascinating elements, making an odd mix.

The naval combat is back from AS3, and it's still awesome. On top of that you got a bunch of other activities like whaling (no, I DON'T support animal cruelty but for the sake of historic accuracy I approve), and sailing through a storm is a truly impressive and intense moment. The thing is, all those things get all after a while, specially on a game asking for many hours of dedication.

So what's the problem here? Well, on top of the naval exploration. You have all your traditional Assassin's Creed activities like spying, stalking, and of course assassinating. Mind you, all these elements work perfectly find but in my honest opinion they don't match the pirating theme.

I just wish, Black Flag would have been just a pirate game, and with a focus of pirate activities. Give us pillaging, in depth treasure quests, or the option to become buccaneers. The Assassin's Creed games are fantastic (mostly), but this combination of a pirate game and an AS game is depriving us from two amazing games. One amazing pirate game, and another amazing AS game.
  75. Oct 8, 2014
    It was fun but like all Assassin creed games only the first time really counts.

the goods o naval combat was amazing and taking on man of wars is always fun o naval Songs was great o very little load screens o a true open world experience o combat is as always top notch the bads o main character not really an assassin (kinda lame considering its assassins creed) o underwater
    It was fun but like all Assassin creed games only the first time really counts.

the goods
    o naval combat was amazing and taking on man of wars is always fun
    o naval Songs was great
    o very little load screens
    o a true open world experience
    o combat is as always top notch
    the bads
    o underwater diving was kinda lame
    o the story in general is really getting confusing
  76. Oct 1, 2014
    Arrrrr Matey! Get your pirate on in the latest version of Assassin's Creed. This being my first AC experience, I must say I was captured more by the side activities, as well as the naval combat, than I was the main quests. Beautiful done graphics with an amazingly accurate ocean simulator built in to make for a engaging sailing experience. Worth a buy.
  77. Sep 30, 2014
    A very enjoyable experience with stunning visuals and a vast and beautiful open world and a strong story, Assassin's Creed IV is a game I would recommend to any fan of the franchise or open world games in general.

It certainly isn't the traditional Assassin's Creed formula, but the change is far from bad.
  78. Sep 28, 2014
    This is probably the best game on the PS4 library IMO. The combat and control in this installment are vastly improved. The controls very tight and responsive and the combat itself is pretty engaging. Edward Kenway, while not my favorite character in the franchise (that would Ezio); is a very enjoyable protagonist/anti-hero. The newly-introduced pirate gameplay is a welcome new mechanic inThis is probably the best game on the PS4 library IMO. The combat and control in this installment are vastly improved. The controls very tight and responsive and the combat itself is pretty engaging. Edward Kenway, while not my favorite character in the franchise (that would Ezio); is a very enjoyable protagonist/anti-hero. The newly-introduced pirate gameplay is a welcome new mechanic in the series. Sailing your own ship with your own crew on this game's HUGE world adds a lot of atmosphere and fun to the game. And the fights with other ships are difficult, engaging, and really damn fun. You really feel like a pirate AND an assassin in this game. My only "problems" is that the game's world isn't as charming as ACII. But overall this game is bloody amazing, I recommend it to ANYBODY with a PS4. Expand
  79. Sep 24, 2014
    Meh...

Its pretty ok! As a pirate game, it's a 8.5/10 or something like that. As an assassins creed game, it's still good. But at the end I felt a bit bored, but the pirating was still fun!
  80. Sep 20, 2014
    First off, this game is by far my favorite of the series. Edward was a fantastic character with some outstanding surrounding characters and some not so outstanding.

Story- The story revolved around Edward getting caught up with the Assassin's and the Templars and a search for something big. All the while, Edward is plundering ships, searching islands for loot, hunting animals, crafting

Story-
    The story revolved around Edward getting caught up with the Assassin's and the Templars and a search for something big. All the while, Edward is plundering ships, searching islands for loot, hunting animals, crafting weapons and armor, upgrading his ship, and stabbing people. There are plenty of side missions such as Assassin contracts and templar hunts that will keep you sidetracked, too. You can search for all the animus fragments, gather shanties for your crew, and loot chests. You will also climb the viewpoints, defeat naval bases, and swim for sunken treasure. That is just scratching the surface for story and side missions because I highly recommend you play this game. The story is good, but not fantastic.

Gameplay-
    This game is 50% an Assassin's Creed game and 50% a pirate game. Personally, the sailing portions in the 3rd game didn't appeal to me, and although I liked it better here, the game was easily superior when Edward was stalking someone preparing to kill them. The sailing portions were fun, but got a little repetitive. Naval battles were fun, but there was some major difficulty spike issue that I had through my play through. When you are on land, however, you stick the Assassin's Creed basics. You will tail enemies, assassinate targets, climb rooftops and trees (By far the best part in this game is the nature aspect)and have sword fights. It basically sticks to the roots of the very first game, but flows so much better.

Presentation-
    The music is amazing. The visuals are downright gorgeous and the sound effects are AMAZING. These are honestly some of the best sound effects I have heard in a game. The way rain hits the gravel and Edwards sprints through the muddy terrain sounds like it's happening right next to you. Seeing a humpback whale breach is amazing as you sail the seemingly endless ocean is breathtaking( see what I did there?)

Cons-
    -The game can get a little repetitive as the land segments haven't changed much in the past years.
    -Some of the surrounding characters were rather dull and seemed unimportant and sometimes hard to follow story wise
    -Difficulty spikes were littered throughout the game, which got frustrating at some points
    -Why must we have present day segments? It wasn't as bad or as long as Desmond sequences but they were just pointless and took me out of the experience.

Overall-
    So far the best PS4 game I have played. The story alone will take you 20ish hours and that is without side quests and the bunch. Much better than 3 in every way. Buy this game if you haven't already. Also I want to get Freedom Cry too! :)
  81. Sep 18, 2014
    This is a really good action, stealth and adventure game. The story is ok, but the gameplay is what really makes this game great. You spend most your time on-land, where you will be killing enemies, either by stealth, combat, or gunfire. There are a lot of side missions as well, with good rewards. However, as you are a pirate, you also have a big ship that you can customise and upgrade,This is a really good action, stealth and adventure game. The story is ok, but the gameplay is what really makes this game great. You spend most your time on-land, where you will be killing enemies, either by stealth, combat, or gunfire. There are a lot of side missions as well, with good rewards. However, as you are a pirate, you also have a big ship that you can customise and upgrade, and of course use to take down other ships or fortresses. Expand
  82. Sep 16, 2014
    This game was nothing short of amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, but as one of the game designers for this game pointed out during a demo, your lovely ship, the Jackdaw, is the second main character here. Frankly, one I enjoyed more than our standard protagonist even. The ship combat is addictive and about an authentic as you could possibly want in a video game. It hits all theThis game was nothing short of amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, but as one of the game designers for this game pointed out during a demo, your lovely ship, the Jackdaw, is the second main character here. Frankly, one I enjoyed more than our standard protagonist even. The ship combat is addictive and about an authentic as you could possibly want in a video game. It hits all the right high notes. Your cheering crew singing sea shanties as you crash through the waves seeking a target with water washing over your desk is a surreal feeling. The 'legendary ship' encounters are particularly on-point and satisfying after overcoming them. If you played one of the previous Assassin's Creed games and have ever fancied yourself a pirate, it'd be downright criminal to not play this. Expand
  83. Sep 10, 2014
    I played the game at launch of the Playstation 4, and it was the best launch title in my opinion. It was Assassin's Creed with exploration. Getting the chance to play as a pirate was pretty awesome. The only downfall it got pretty repetitive, but still well worth it, I put 60 hours into the single player campaign and to me that is worth it. Multiplayer though in Assassin's Creed just isn'tI played the game at launch of the Playstation 4, and it was the best launch title in my opinion. It was Assassin's Creed with exploration. Getting the chance to play as a pirate was pretty awesome. The only downfall it got pretty repetitive, but still well worth it, I put 60 hours into the single player campaign and to me that is worth it. Multiplayer though in Assassin's Creed just isn't for me, it is unique but gets boring. Expand
  84. Sep 7, 2014
    This game is so overrated, it's annoying. C'mon people, it's basically just a clone of AC3, same visual style, same gameplay, no new tricks, fewer less interesting weapons and of course the sailing, which we also got to see first in AC3. I really don't understand how so many people hate AC3 and just loves AC4. I get that many still mourn Ezio's departure from the series, but hey he isn'tThis game is so overrated, it's annoying. C'mon people, it's basically just a clone of AC3, same visual style, same gameplay, no new tricks, fewer less interesting weapons and of course the sailing, which we also got to see first in AC3. I really don't understand how so many people hate AC3 and just loves AC4. I get that many still mourn Ezio's departure from the series, but hey he isn't the only thing that matters. I love AC, i've played every game ever since it's introduction in 2007. My favorite of them all (besides AC2 because it was a vast improvement over the first in everything) is AC3. Why? Because Brotherhood only introduced 1 new thing, summoning assassin's, Revelations is probably my least favorite. In every game that followed AC2 they gave us maybe 1 new thing to do or weapon to attack and then took something else away. In AC3 everything changed, Connor's running/jumping/crawling style is the same as Edwards. The Tomahawk was badass my favorite. The 2 swords Edward has are the only thing different from Connor. He's basically Connor, just with plastic surgery and 2 swords. The graphics are really great, i have to say that. But overall it just isn't anything we haven't seen before, even the main story. I really miss Desmond btw, i think it's lousy we have to play as some random Templar, really makes it feel this franchise just became a moneymaking machine with no depth or anything. Can't wait till' ACU, that looks real innovative for a change. Expand
  85. Sep 7, 2014
    AC3 over AC4
    AC3 over AC4
    I think that this is a wonderful game in terms of graphics but I think everything else was horrible. Being on the water was one of the worst experiences and this was really downgrade from AC3. The missions and side missions were not intriguing especially the ones on the water. AC3 was fine because only a tiny bit of the game was on the sea so it was sort of a nice change yet I wouldn't applaud it. The fighting was way too easy, anyone could take out a group of 1,000,000 guys by them self! The game forced you to play the missions and not just roam around because if you did you couldn't do anything! If you make a game like that at least make the missions fun! you didn't need any strategy or be stealthy at all you could just run right into a fort. AC3 over AC4
  86. Sep 3, 2014
    It's truly is amazing how far Ubisoft has came since the first Assassin's creed game... This game is amazing obviously, just like every other Assassin's creed game! The Characters, Graphics, Voices, Open world and everything about this game is perfect! 10/10 all the way, one of the best Next gen games so far!
  87. Sep 1, 2014
    Epic. From the lush graphics, the fluid gameplay right down to the absorbing soundtrack. The game massive and littered with a million things to do. The characters are actually interesting and leaves you wanting to know more about them. The main protagonist is a breath of fresh air compared to previous efforts. The only downside is that in many ways it doesn't feel like an AC game. IndeedEpic. From the lush graphics, the fluid gameplay right down to the absorbing soundtrack. The game massive and littered with a million things to do. The characters are actually interesting and leaves you wanting to know more about them. The main protagonist is a breath of fresh air compared to previous efforts. The only downside is that in many ways it doesn't feel like an AC game. Indeed it didn't have to be. There was no need for the modern setting to even be in this game. I fear Ubisoft were worried if it didn't carry the name it might not have sold as well. I think the next incarnation of AC will go back to the more traditional style which is a shame....it does however leave some scope for a future pirate style game which I would fully embrace. Expand
  88. Aug 26, 2014
    I have never played an AC game until this and I was pleasantly surprised.

The graphics and open world, created by the use of ships, and the amount of customization made the game fun. However, the amount of random glitches and useless exploring required to achieve these upgrades got boring quick. There is some fun challenges with community events and elite ships, but unless you have
    I have never played an AC game until this and I was pleasantly surprised.

There is some fun challenges with community events and elite ships, but unless you have friends who play, you can feel rather isolated in a game that seems to want some form of co-op.

Definitely recommend this game.
  89. Aug 22, 2014
    Excellent game...had the free roam option so you can sail around and do as you please or follow story line.was not to short and had a decent story line....
  90. Aug 13, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag
    Game-play:The game play is awesome i love it,ubisoft use the same techniques as AC3 but they have improve them and now is has no glitches and the dual sword play is awesome,the ship battles have also improved and you will really enjoy shooting with your cannons at the enemy
    Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag
    Story:A great story with pirates,assassins and templars with well made characters that it will take you about 13 to 14 hours
    Graphics:I see some improvements,the game still looks amazing
    Notes:There are lot of weapons and outfits for edward and a lot customisation options for his ship,some times the characters do not appear on the screen but that is only for a few seconds,the side missions are awesome and really fun to play,the huge open world is amazing and you always have something to do there are 4 major cities in the game an lot of small places to make the world feel alive and it succeeds to do that,a must buy masterpiece
  91. Aug 6, 2014
    Really fun. It takes what 3 did with it's shop battles and expands on it really well. There's a few little annoyances that never seem to get sorted in the sequels like climbing up weird angles on the ship mast, but it's not enough to put you off. Multiplayer is good fun too.
  92. Aug 2, 2014
    Overall a mediocre experience. The controls are good, really good graphics, a great looking open world. But, other than that it really isn't that much different from AC3. I personally think that AC3 was more innovative in it's overall gameplay experience. It deferred much from the other AC games in style and combat. There we was also first introduced to sailing ships, although it's muchOverall a mediocre experience. The controls are good, really good graphics, a great looking open world. But, other than that it really isn't that much different from AC3. I personally think that AC3 was more innovative in it's overall gameplay experience. It deferred much from the other AC games in style and combat. There we was also first introduced to sailing ships, although it's much more developed in AC4 and much more a part of the game than AC3. AC4's style is almost identical to AC3 (like running, walking, crawling, jumping etc.), the combat is also almost the same (like the special movies where you kill 2 opponents at a time with your pistols or rope darts), the combat style is a little different because obviously we now have 2 weapons at the same time, but not as cool or fluent as Connor's axe (that is my favorite AC weapon of all time). Ubisoft really got lazy with this one, also there's not much variety in the gameplay (like sailing all over the world which is freakin' huge looking for animus fragments and chests is really boring after a while and painfully repetitive) and the lack of different weapons you can buy like Ezio's many gadgets (grenades etc.) 2 handed weapons (which you can get in this game, but only from the guards). And i really think it's boring that you can get the most damaging sword in a matter of hours as damage levels are only as high as 5. There really isn't much of a challenge in the AC games, i really miss a difficulty level you can choose from. Enemies are easily overcome even if there's 20 surrounding you. And the story is like any other AC game. It's overall repetitive and certainly not improved that much from the other games. This game is way too easy, and incredibly overrated. AC3 is much better. I really don't understand how so many people can think this is far superior to AC3, and think AC3 is the worst entry in the series (Revelations anyone?), maybe it's the nostalgia from the Ezio games and you just thought all other characters and settings that came after, no matter how great, was complete a** in comparison. I really hope that AC Unity will come up with many new things and ideas, because if this, repeating everything from the previous games over and over again, continues i'm done with this series. I love the AC series, i played the first one when it came out and have now played all games (except for the dlc add-ons) and praise them for the style and gameplay. But ever since AC Brotherhood (because of the summoning Assassin's to help you) i really don't think the games have come up with anything new. Luckily from the looks of it, AC Unity will finally show us something new and exciting. Can't wait. But in the meantime 3 stars for this clone Expand
  93. Jul 31, 2014
    Best Assassin's Creed game since 2. Probably my most played PS4 launch game, lost to do in single player. Loses a point for having pointless Multiplayer trophies.
  94. Jul 29, 2014
    Don't waste your money with AC IV for PS4. This only a mediocre game for a PS3, and its flaws are even more unforgivable in the next-gen console.

The graphics are inconsistent. There are some amazing lightning + rain effects, but for the most part you feel you are playing a PS3 game, unlike Tomb Raider, who really looked better in PS4. The game mechanics are poor, and you will find

The game mechanics are poor, and you will find yourself playing a game from 7 years ago in your PS4. Combats are as poor and minimalist as possible and Main quest doesn't make any sense. Are you playing an AC mission or a "legendary pirates" one? Whats the link between those famous pirates and the AC main plot? Most missions from the main plot are always the same: you need catch someone in annoying missions, you need to hear some conversation while no one notice you are around, you need to kill some specific character that is as easy to kill as any random enemy, repeat, over and over again.

The "office missions" are so bad and boring that you won't believe they are putting that kind of thing in a so called "AAA game".

AC is an open world game, but I never thought an open world game and Caribbean would be THAT boring. The pirates will sing the same songs over and over again, the small islands all look the same, and usually all you can do there is to open some random chest and find some random treasure.

The cities are not as enjoyable to explore as the ones from previous games, people waking on the streets all look the same...

I believe those professional reviews giving this game favorable critics were made after few hours of gameplay. In the first 10 hours, this game really seemed amazing, but after that I realized there was nothing new to do in the game. After completing 25% of the game, I just decided to stop wasting my time in Caribbean.

The early Assassins Creed Unity gameplay suggests the first AC game for next gen is coming this year, and it exposes how bad AC IV is as PS4 game.

Avoid this one.
  95. Jul 26, 2014
    Finished this game a week ago.
    The latest installment to the Assassin's Creed franchise, featuring a new character, Edward Kenway.
    As you may know, Edward Kenway is the grandfather of Connor Kenway, the protagonist from Assassin's Creed III. Edward is just another pirate who's trying to find lots of money, so he can live carefree in this world. One day his ship crashed and he was
    Finished this game a week ago.
    Edward is just another pirate who's trying to find lots of money, so he can live carefree in this world. One day his ship crashed and he was stranded in an island. There, he met an Assassin, he killed him and took the Assassin's name as his own. Edward is the first character in the Assassin's Creed that learn everything about assassination not from the Creed. He's self taught because he has the "sense" of an Assassin (In other words, a genius). Find out the journey of Edward in the Caribbean Sea.

Plus point:
    - First Assassin's Creed game that was released on a next gen console. And i must say, although the graphics are not better than Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, the environment is awesome. The sea, the sky, everything is so colorful, making your naval journey awesome. Also harpooning is fun.
    - A new character who is unique and breaking the stereotype of Assassin's Creed protagonist. Edward, he doesn't care about justice and stuffs like that, all he wants is money. And his character development is really interesting, because he becomes a "real" assassin at the end of the game.
    - Battle systems are as always, too easy and boring. But this time, our hero use a new weapons. Which is Dual Sword & 4 Handgun. Pretty neat.
    - Freedom Cry, a stand alone DLC was released for this game. It told the story of Adewale, Edward's crew on the Jackdaw. The story takes place a few years after Black Flag, although Edward's name was mentioned a few times, it was unknown about how he was doing. This DLC worth every penny of it. It's enough to enjoy the Caribbean Sea once again with another character and another purpose.

Minus point:
    - The world is too large. I found myself spending too much time on the exploration part.While the story is just too short. Sailing through the sea took my sweet time on this game. I must say that it was quite boring sailing through the sea and waiting for my ship to arrive at the destination.
    - Same old Assassin's Creed. Hope Ass Creed Unity can bring a new wind to this franchise.

The verdict:
    I don't know why the hate for ACIV. I love the game & i love edward. The game is visually stunning in some aspects, but kinda looks bad on another. Although there are no new big changes to the gameplay, the story itself isn't that bad. It's good to see someone different from the previous protagonists. If you have PS4, then play this on PS4. It's really good, since there are no problems with Frame Skip like in PS3. The game runs smoothly on PS4. Totally recommended. But i must say, that this is just another game of Assassin's Creed. Nothing more and nothing less. 7/10 for this game.
  96. Jul 24, 2014
    Tried to re ignite my love for the AC franchise, but it didnt work. I do not like this pirate idea, its really not a good idea, i guess thats why they are going with the idea behind Unity. The graphics are good and the game runs really well thats why im giving it a 7 and i can fully understand how some people will love it, especially if they are into pirtates etc, but seeing as im not andTried to re ignite my love for the AC franchise, but it didnt work. I do not like this pirate idea, its really not a good idea, i guess thats why they are going with the idea behind Unity. The graphics are good and the game runs really well thats why im giving it a 7 and i can fully understand how some people will love it, especially if they are into pirtates etc, but seeing as im not and i am not keen on the idea of it in a video game i have to give it a 7. Expand
  97. Jul 21, 2014
    Really fun and engaging. Takes elements of all its predecessors and shapes it into something new and innovating. Glad to see the ship battles expanded and oh, so great. I devoured this game and the only two points of criticism I got is the way the end feels rushed ( okay I'll join the assassins, kill kill, the end ) and the level of repetitivity in its side missions.
    The legendary ships
    The legendary ships are amazing..
  98. Jul 20, 2014
    Best assassin's creed.

Must buy for all gamers. Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers. Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all
    Best assassin's creed.

Must buy for all gamers.
    Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.
    Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.
  99. Jul 18, 2014
    This is a real return to form for Ubisoft. I was so disappointed with the last Assassin's Creed that I almost didn't buy this. It was only after recommendations that I eventually decided to give it a go and I am so pleased that I did.
    Black Flag gives us a main character that you want to get behind again, you want to win and sets it all in a map that you want to travel around. The attention to detail as you are traveling around for the strangers you pass to the animals that run by you is just incredible.
    Sure its not without its issue and perhaps the map is a bit too big (I used fast travel a lot) and every now and then it does glitch but this are minor things in a game that has rebuilt my confidence in this franchise. Bring on the revolution.
  100. Jul 17, 2014
    The same good typical Assassin's Creed but in new setting with great addition of new game play on the see! Good combat mechanics with reasonable stealth! One of the best game of the 2013, and is going to a contender for the Game of the year!
  101. Mar 8, 2014
    Take my advice and try not to get this on next generation. Its not worth paying extra. I found this out when I sank a ship, and it sank right through my ship. Also the graphics are just above average. Kenway's face moved like it was stuck in a irritating smirk. I found when I killed an enemy they fly a foot forwards when they have been struck by my hideously overpowered swords. HalfwayTake my advice and try not to get this on next generation. Its not worth paying extra. I found this out when I sank a ship, and it sank right through my ship. Also the graphics are just above average. Kenway's face moved like it was stuck in a irritating smirk. I found when I killed an enemy they fly a foot forwards when they have been struck by my hideously overpowered swords. Halfway through the game I knew none of my enemy's stood a chance against me when I gained two swords, four pistols, a dart shooter, two hidden blades, smoke bombs, throwing knives and money. All challenge was removed from the game at this point even when I wasn't even trying to accomplish anything. The story missions are the more repetitive than the resident evil series. Nearly all of them require you to tail or eavesdrop on the enemy. They are so easy I was just running on rooftops try to keep up with them. But one thing I noticed, WHERE ARE THE ASSASSINATION MISSIONS? They should have just called this game 'Pirates Creed'. There are only about three in the entire game. It trys to cover this up by having assassins side missions. These only require you to kill a target to get 1000 Reales. There can be a 500 bonus if you stay out of combat. This can be so easy, when I got the berserk darts I was trying to get my target killed by his guards. Sailing is fun as it gets with trying to get cargo from other ships to either sell or use to upgrade your ship. I tried to ignore the ships level, and just see how long it took for the ship to move another way other than the way I was going. Eventually we were just going in circles. Don't bother trying to board a ship unless you want to lower your wanted level or want to send it to 'Kenway's Fleet'. You still get the ships loot regardless of how you destroy it. Kenways fleet is just a small and unnecessary add-on to the game. Its just another way to get more money. The characters are boring and all have a similar personality. They all seem to be okay with Kenway risking his life for their gain. The franchise has got better since the disappointing third installment. The final overview of this is it is not worth getting skull edition or the season pass because you will get bored very quickly with this. Collapse

1. Apr 20, 2014
    The PlayStation 4 version of the game is mechanically the same as the PlayStation 3 version, but the new engine is eye-poppingly awesome.
  2. Ubisoft significantly improved the multiplayer side of things. Also, story takes you places.
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    It’s difficult to imagine Assassin’s Creed ever leaving the sea behind.