7.8

1. Nov 15, 2013
    much much improved than last year's edition,the vast open world and lush islands are marvels to watch upon and experience.Ubisoft should win next gen with its open world game imo
  2. Dec 21, 2013
    This game is disguised under an epic illusion. It seems the map is very big, but where most elements repeat.
    Too many repetitive side missions. And the main missions are very repetitive as well. In addition, the environment is very repetitive. Anyway, every thing is repetitive, making the game fatiguing.
    I remembered AC II was so enjoyable, while You never expect an experience as
    I remembered AC II was so enjoyable, while You never expect an experience as assassin in AC IV. This franchise has lost the soul of assassin. The only left is a coat. When I was playing the game, I always ask myself: why I have to wear like an assassin?
    The pirate part is not bad for me, but I am soon bored with flat sea face, and you will soon be bored with The naval battle under same pattern.
    This is a game, lack of soul, full of repetitive mechanism and will be forgotten soon.
    Never compare AC IV even with GTA V which is still 10 times better than AC IV in quality.
    IMO, The AC III and IV shouldn't be in Assassin's Creed franchise.
  3. Apr 18, 2014
    Where do i begin, the setting is very welcoming and colourful, the characters are quite well written with some believable dialogue. There are plenty of things to do but as with many none rpg games they get extremely repetitive with silly trivial and tedious items to collect, and other menial tasks like escort missions and killing a certain amount of enemies. The controls are extremelyWhere do i begin, the setting is very welcoming and colourful, the characters are quite well written with some believable dialogue. There are plenty of things to do but as with many none rpg games they get extremely repetitive with silly trivial and tedious items to collect, and other menial tasks like escort missions and killing a certain amount of enemies. The controls are extremely irritating and inconsistent, you have to do things in increments, you cant play the game in a fluid manner, for example upon defeating a enemy ship, and are about to board you walk up to your swivel gun mounted on the side of the ship and you cant press the interact button straight away you have to wait for about a second for your character to come to a halt then do so. It gets so infuriating. your character gets stuck to walls and ledges when you don't want to, it practically ruins the game alone. The graphics are ridiculous for a new generation of console, cause its cheaper for ubisoft to use a old engine than produce a new one. There are many auto save glitches as well i was at 33% then the next time i booted up the game it was at 25% i lost about 8-10 hours of progress so after that i just sold it back. The storyline is ridiculously far fetched and pathetic. I wanted to like it really, but it was wrought with repetition and frustration. Expand
  4. Dec 12, 2013
    This is the most fun I've had playing an Assassin's Creed game, but like the other titles, the absurd and heavy-handed narrative get's in the way of all the fun. The combat is mindless and boring, and the occasional dramatic woosh & slow-motion finishing move is a needless distraction to the obscene unilateral violence I'm dolling out. The story missions are tedious, the difficultyThis is the most fun I've had playing an Assassin's Creed game, but like the other titles, the absurd and heavy-handed narrative get's in the way of all the fun. The combat is mindless and boring, and the occasional dramatic woosh & slow-motion finishing move is a needless distraction to the obscene unilateral violence I'm dolling out. The story missions are tedious, the difficulty birthed out of attempts to navigate the somewhat wonky free-running and stealth mechanics (both feel terribly outdated).

But naval battles are fun! An upgradeable ship with scaling boarding mechanics really steals the show, but doesn't feel fleshed out enough as 'black flag' sounds like a game that would focus on naval combat Your ship occupies a moderate category not too big, not too small going up against various size ships, but after your begin to upgrade, your small ship feels invincible boarding becomes an annoying array of strategies to blow up barrels, kill officers, cut down flags, and massacre an arbitrary number of red-shirt-like crew members. It feels like an afterthought, and I would've liked more flexibility in ship size and firepower, allowing players to play dart like schooners against man o' wars. Sure it doesn't really fit the whole 'playing through history' idea the series has been based on, but to be fair: the restrictions of playing through history are conveniently employed: mostly for blocking players out of areas so they'll progress the story.

Although the world is big, large islands rarely have more than a sand bar or two to explore for collectables, all are surrounded by a homogenous cliff- with-jungle texture.

I did enjoy myself but AC has begun to feel stale on delivery. Combat is too simple, story is garbage grandiose pseudo-religious futurist schmaltz, open-world if open-world is long pretty stretches of road between prefab cities. It loses in the details and that's the only reason I love big company productions like these details afforded by huge sums of money and large development teams.
  5. Dec 12, 2013
    In a small summary:
    BEST sea game ever, hands down.
    a very AVERAGE assassins creed game, absolutely nothing special other than what is in the sailing and WORST pirate game I've ever played. The absolute worst and most disappointing thing about this game is they will never be able to redo this. I understand that the whole open world sailing was an ENORMOUS accomplishment, that aspect
    In a small summary:
    BEST sea game ever, hands down.
    and WORST pirate game I've ever played.

The absolute worst and most disappointing thing about this game is they will never be able to redo this. I understand that the whole open world sailing was an ENORMOUS accomplishment, that aspect was absolutely fabulous. In no way am I knocking that, but I have to say there were three things about this game that in my opinion made it go from what could have been a 10 to a 6.5.

The assassins story was way too rushed and way too little. There is almost 0 character building, I'm not saying characters dont develop, but there is no building up to it, suddenly with no story things vastly change. (compared to ac3, id give 5/5 for story and this 3/5)
    The Pirate story was the real death of this game in my opinion. Kenway is clearly more of a pirate than a templar, yet his wardobe is assassin, which..I understand, but give it a pirate kick to it, for god's sake at least give the man a captains hat when your in his status. Then the fact that all of the pirates are friends...that was a knife to the heart. I know how disappointed i was at the lack of drunkards running around, of other pirates trying to steal from you; of gun shots in the streets of tortuga or ANYTHING piratey. It was pretty much just like any other ac game except sailing ships, and seeing other famous pirates. I at least really can't explain enough how entirely I was disappointed by the pirate story. There should have been two main stories going on side by side, his two lives being shown instead of craming them together in an extremely half assed way.
    Lastly, the grpahics were great, sure. In my opinion though that doesnt mean much when they cant include such simple and small things such as when I wear armor that doesnt have a hood, dont have the cut and paste action of him pulling his hood up. That the way that blackbeard talks about you in the intro you would think that people would treat you the way they fear, children and women should run, the guards should know who you are all the time with no way from relieving you of that other than staying in pirate territory.

All in all, i would play ac3 for the fourth time before ac4 the second. Solely because of how disappointing how short and small the game was after all the hype, and how horrible they did with the pirate side.
  6. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is repetitive and boring. Having to sail hours of your life away is by no means fun. AC2 remains the only game I have enjoyed to the end in this series.
  7. Dec 27, 2013
    I'll admit that the new Assassin's Creed game is brilliant, but it's not what I wanted.
    Firstly, the world is far larger, and great, you can explore the Caribbean via ship whenever you want, there's no loading between going onto the ship and onto land, however, larger settlements do require a bit of loading (Nassau, Kingston/Port Royal, Havana). It's by far the best game of the series and has a number of side-actives.

However; the game's storyline is like a mix of set mini-games. For me, I expected multiple endings but no just like assassin's creed III, you have to do all the set objectives and optional objectives if you are aiming for 100% completion. I would accept this if the game was actually COMPLETELY historically accurate, and yet you can go around taking huge forts with one ship which is pretty dire.

I also felt slightly let down by the modern day storyline, which feels like some sad, boring video you are forced to watch, where you do nothing. Little is actually accomplished in this segment of the game.

The multiplayer is the exact same as AC3, apart from "Game Lab", which allows players to make their own games. However, it's almost impossible to find ones previously played on ie. Frantic mode ?
    Uplay doesn't even work right, it constantly asks for the redemption code and I can't get ANY ac3 exclusives despite signing up for ACinitiates.

The side-actives are more like collectibles, which you can no longer do upon completing and run out pretty quickly.

I was also annoyed with the "Freedom Cry" DLC you play as another pirate and visit Port-au-Prince, which is good. However, Edward cannot access this area? Why is this I feel that this is awkward as it doesn't allow me to explore the area as him (which I would have preferred).

It's a great game which I highly recommend, but the areas which I wanted to change didn't...
    I am most annoyed with Uplay which is just terrible.
  8. Jan 23, 2014
    Es un buen juego con respecto a assassins creed 3, pero como el 3, tiene bugs. todavia no es posbile realizar los "eventos" para el trofeo y al parecer ubisoft se olvido de esto.
  9. Mar 2, 2016
    The combat & parkour are still awful, just like in the whole series. These guys really beed to playing Dying Light to see how well parkour can be done (albeit from 1st person). Thankfully, the pirate sailing parts are wonderful. And the pirate parts of the plot are nice, and the main character is genuinely likable. But all of the standard Assassin's Creed parts are the worst parts. IThe combat & parkour are still awful, just like in the whole series. These guys really beed to playing Dying Light to see how well parkour can be done (albeit from 1st person). Thankfully, the pirate sailing parts are wonderful. And the pirate parts of the plot are nice, and the main character is genuinely likable. But all of the standard Assassin's Creed parts are the worst parts. I wish they'd just made a non-AC pirate game. Expand
  10. Jun 3, 2014
    Assassin's creed: Black flag is interesting in the fact that, while giving the appearance of a fresh new,massive world, it becomes clear after a few hours of hands on time, that assassin's creed black flag is indeed just another game in the franchise with a new coat of paint.

While the setting may have changed from European mainlands, to beautiful Caribbean island locations; the game-play has widely remained unchanged. From the typical tail the NPC missions, to the unchanged combat mechanics, dated character animations, and physics.That' s not to say this game doesn't have its moments, because it certainly does.

Sailing the high seas is extremely enjoyable, while also taking in the beautiful locations and activities the game has to offer.

The new setting offers pretty oceans and islands, it really isn't that graphically outstanding.
    Quite disappointing really.

This game is a fun and entertaining one, it just doesn't offer anything drastically new or innovating for the series. Being an assassin's creed game, you should truly know what to expect.
  11. Mar 17, 2015
    Holy crap! I played this game for the first time today and I can't believe what I've been missing! I've never been truly invested in the Assassin's Creed franchise. I played a few of the old games: Assassins Creed 2 and a bit of Revelations. Assassins Creed 2 was fun at times and the graphics were amazing for it's time but I didn't enjoy it as much as I felt I should have done. TheHoly crap! I played this game for the first time today and I can't believe what I've been missing! I've never been truly invested in the Assassin's Creed franchise. I played a few of the old games: Assassins Creed 2 and a bit of Revelations. Assassins Creed 2 was fun at times and the graphics were amazing for it's time but I didn't enjoy it as much as I felt I should have done. The controls were sometimes uncomfortable and both the stealth and the parkour mechanics felt clunky. What's more, the game got rather repetitive and tedious half way through and I never finished it because of this. Assassins Creed Black Flag fixes all of those issues. The controls have been significantly improved so you're only holding down the R2 button instead of R2 and X, and you can now jump. The free running mechanics feel somewhat more fluid and there's much less frustratingly jumping off of tall buildings to your death. Stealth has also been added to, though it's admittedly still not excellent. What makes this game excellent, though, in my opinion is the epic naval battles. I cannot begin to describe how cool these are! There's so much fun to be had in fighting against enemy ships and then boarding them, assassinating the crew and looting their goods. I haven't been able to go back to Assassins Creed 2 because I don't want to play another Assassins Creed that doesn't have this awesome naval combat. Though I consider the sailing and naval battles to be the meat of the game I also had a ton of fun with the other traditional Assassins Creed activities, mostly consisting of finding collectables and climbing to viewpoints. Exploration is heavily rewarded in this game and it has a huge open world that I know will take me a while to fully explore! Finally the story in Assassins Creed Black Flag is great. It is perhaps less engaging than Assassins Creed 2's story but nevertheless has a variety of interesting characters and good writing. If you haven't played this game, pick it up. I've had a love-hate relationship with the Assassins Creed franchise but this game truly blew me away when I first played it. Expand
  12. Oct 8, 2014
    It was fun but like all Assassin creed games only the first time really counts.

the goods o naval combat was amazing and taking on man of wars is always fun o naval Songs was great o very little load screens o a true open world experience o combat is as always top notch the bads o main character not really an assassin (kinda lame considering its assassins creed) o underwater
    It was fun but like all Assassin creed games only the first time really counts.

the goods
    o naval combat was amazing and taking on man of wars is always fun
    o naval Songs was great
    o very little load screens
    o a true open world experience
    o combat is as always top notch
    the bads
    o underwater diving was kinda lame
    o the story in general is really getting confusing
  13. Feb 10, 2016
    I was never a fan of the Assassin's Creed games, until now. What was it about this game that changed my mind. Friggin' pirates! My absolute favourite aspect of this game was the naval combat and just sailing in general. Even when the fast travel option was available, I often found myself hopping on my boat to sail there instead. I could spend 30 minutes just sitting there listening to myI was never a fan of the Assassin's Creed games, until now. What was it about this game that changed my mind. Friggin' pirates! My absolute favourite aspect of this game was the naval combat and just sailing in general. Even when the fast travel option was available, I often found myself hopping on my boat to sail there instead. I could spend 30 minutes just sitting there listening to my crew sing their sea-songs as we travelled past beautiful coastline and island villages. There was something thoroughly relaxing about the experience, something I have experienced in very few games to this date, and I was happy to indulge my time. The game itself followed the classic Assassin's Creed formula, albeit in a more appealing setting. The combat and parkour mechanics were simplistic but adequately satisfying. All-in-all, having wasted over 100 hours in this game, I can say I enjoyed my time immensley. Expand
  14. May 17, 2015
    The first Assassin's Creed game I've played and absolutely loved it. The story was capturing and always encouraged me to play on. The gameplay was fluid and not too difficult or repetitive. The open world was great with many places to explore and the added element of sailing the ship, which you desperately tried to collect money to upgrade. To top it all of there was a great soundtrack.The first Assassin's Creed game I've played and absolutely loved it. The story was capturing and always encouraged me to play on. The gameplay was fluid and not too difficult or repetitive. The open world was great with many places to explore and the added element of sailing the ship, which you desperately tried to collect money to upgrade. To top it all of there was a great soundtrack. Enjoyed the game so much I bought the book to find out what happens next, Expand
  15. May 14, 2016
    Simply the best Assassin's Creed out there.
    If you still haven't played it, you are missing some good ****

Now we are ready to head for the Horn,
    Way, ay, roll an' go!
    Our boots an' our clothes boys are all in the pawn,
    Timme rollickin' randy dandy O!

......
    Very good memories...
  16. Mar 4, 2016
    Assassins Creed IV Black Flag this is the best assassins creed game **** those people who hate this game it doesnt desrve that it had a great story amazing deatail and they realy make good job beetween the assassins and pirates u play as the badass edward kennway which is better than that weak conner the had a massive map its very big they throwing on it alot of exllent side mission andAssassins Creed IV Black Flag this is the best assassins creed game **** those people who hate this game it doesnt desrve that it had a great story amazing deatail and they realy make good job beetween the assassins and pirates u play as the badass edward kennway which is better than that weak conner the had a massive map its very big they throwing on it alot of exllent side mission and cool combat system satesfing gameplay if you are a huge fan for the franchise so this is the game to pickup its worth uour its worth 60 dollaars shut the **** up and pickitup **** Expand
  17. Mar 20, 2016
    Looking back this is probably the peak for this franchise. Giving full control of the ship is a master stroke. The setting is really good and I even learnt a little about the period.
  18. Jun 30, 2016
    Quite simply the best assassins creed to date. The game seems to have so much more character than the others and this seems to totally immerse into the game. The Caribbean/Pirate setting is a work of genius. It's a good looking game that's extremely vivid in terms mood and graphics. An absolute blast !!
  19. Aug 15, 2016
    It's the pirates of the Caribbean game Disney never made. Simply awesome, granted it took me about 5 hours before i got the swing of things but once i did i was away. It took me around 200 hours to complete this game 100% and I've enjoyed pretty much all of it, the only thing that i didn't like was the sneaking stuff, just not my thing. I would say though if you didn't like the otherIt's the pirates of the Caribbean game Disney never made. Simply awesome, granted it took me about 5 hours before i got the swing of things but once i did i was away. It took me around 200 hours to complete this game 100% and I've enjoyed pretty much all of it, the only thing that i didn't like was the sneaking stuff, just not my thing. I would say though if you didn't like the other assassin's creed games then pick this up because it's nothing really like them and it is a unique game in itself. The story was good until the last quarter of the game and then it was brilliant. The visuals was pretty good especially the sea, the ships blasting each other and boarding them never gets old, the characters and voice acting is great and the fighting in close quarters is fun similar to the batman arkham series. All together the best pirate game I've ever played. Expand
  20. Oct 7, 2016
    The problem with all the AC games is that they will always have mixed opinions. Looking at this from an open world perspective, what you can do, how much you can do, how fun it is to do it, and how long it takes to complete it, this game is excellent. However, the story is disappointing and any hardcore fans of the series will not like the different abstergo storyline setup. Overall, it isThe problem with all the AC games is that they will always have mixed opinions. Looking at this from an open world perspective, what you can do, how much you can do, how fun it is to do it, and how long it takes to complete it, this game is excellent. However, the story is disappointing and any hardcore fans of the series will not like the different abstergo storyline setup. Overall, it is a huge step up from the controversial AC3. This is a very good game overall, highly recommendable. However, if you go into it with the same story expectations as AC2, or sandbox open world expectations as GTA series, you will be disappointed. Do not let the negatives change your mind though. This is a very good game, and at the end of the day, it's fun exploring the large historical open worlds, doing crazy stuff and blowing things up. Expand
  21. Oct 12, 2016
    This has to be my favorite game ever made. Its just soooooo fun and there is so much to do and explore. It is my fav of the franchise and that says a lot considering how good AC2 is.
  22. Sep 7, 2014
    AC3 over AC4
    AC3 over AC4
    I think that this is a wonderful game in terms of graphics but I think everything else was horrible. Being on the water was one of the worst experiences and this was really downgrade from AC3. The missions and side missions were not intriguing especially the ones on the water. AC3 was fine because only a tiny bit of the game was on the sea so it was sort of a nice change yet I wouldn't applaud it. The fighting was way too easy, anyone could take out a group of 1,000,000 guys by them self! The game forced you to play the missions and not just roam around because if you did you couldn't do anything! If you make a game like that at least make the missions fun! you didn't need any strategy or be stealthy at all you could just run right into a fort. AC3 over AC4
  23. Mar 13, 2014
    I'm new and I know nothing of Assassin's Creed. My take:

I'm new and I know nothing of Assassin's Creed. My take:

The game mostly assume's you are familiar with the AC games, you will find yourself wondering about the modern day desk job cutscene and sometimes wondering where to go and what to do. The sync thing isn't explained (where the map reveals itself slowly) among other things. So expect to wonder about things and how things work the first few hours of the game. I asked a friend to fill me in a bit and that helped.

Basically its a pirate world with things to collect and things to kill. Not much else.

The world is pretty but everything feels static. Nothing is really interactive. Its nice to have a colorful vibrant world but for me it didnt seem real or immersive. Mainly because I felt like I was a superhero running around in the city filled with automatons who did basically nothing. Nobody moves or acts like you so it makes the whole thing seem fake. It's hard to explain.

Its fun at times but more often that not I got bored. If you love collecting things and killing things then this game is pretty good (or if you love pirates). Personally I found the enemiespeople rather stupid and easy to "assassinate". Basically walk right up to them and click the "assassinate" button and your done. Rinse, repeat. There's the occasion where you chase after some normal person who hops around roofs better than you do and also another side activity like waiting patiently to pounce upon or chase some flying musical note.

The storyline and stealth game play leave much to be desired. Its absurd but I can see it being fun for some people, maybe just not for me.
  24. Dec 14, 2013
    I've tried every Assassin's Creed game, and generally walk away very disappointed by the poor mission structures and repetitiveness of what's asked of you. I've never been able to push myself to finish a single one.
    That said, this game is a real love/hate for me. I hate most of the campaign missions, where you sneak along behind someone to listen to their conversation, or chase someone through the game's glitchy and often infuriating "parkour" system. But I love the high seas bits. The sea shanties sung by your crew, the intense battles, the feeling of wanderlust. I wish this amazing pirate adventure wasn't stapled to yet another boring Assassin's Creed game. I had a lot of fun with this game, but didn't get past the fourth or so campaign mission before trading it in.
  25. Mar 19, 2014
    Brilliant game and brilliant story.

Once again main criticism is around the trophies as a number are unachievable as I don't know many people with PS4 and none of them have Black Flag.
  26. Nov 18, 2013
    Let me first say that I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise and have no problem with annual releases. That being said, this may be my favorite in the series yet! Ezio from AC2 is an incredible character, but our new assassin Edward is equally impressive and a joy to play with. Never has the world felt so alive and rich with things to see and do. Travelling around the openLet me first say that I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise and have no problem with annual releases. That being said, this may be my favorite in the series yet! Ezio from AC2 is an incredible character, but our new assassin Edward is equally impressive and a joy to play with. Never has the world felt so alive and rich with things to see and do. Travelling around the open seas in sunny weather with the wind at your back, or battling the raging waves in a storm while engaged in a heart pounding navel battle in your ship never gets old.

The stealth and melee gameplay is as tight as ever, but my only minor complaint is I wish Ubisoft would have gave our assassin the ability to duck at will. There are plenty of character and ship upgrades to keep you looking for resources through most of the game (think Farcry 3), a cool mini game where you send your fleet out to trade resources, underwater exploration, and tons of side quests.

The PS4 version looks beautiful! While not a true next-gen title there are lots of added effects for your eyes to enjoy. Weather and lighting are much improved, foliage is more dense and reacts to wind more realistic, improved framerate and draw distance, and many other subtle things to improve an already amazing looking game. So do yourself a favor if you enjoy action and adventure, pirate and assassin's, go out and buy this game now! If you don't like the Assassin's Creed series then you may want to rent it first, but there's a chance you may end up enjoying it.
  27. Jan 11, 2014
    What an amazing games the graphics and gameplay was unique. Although poorly placed checkpoints and a glitch where you can't quit contracts made me unable to play the story line...... I played it 2 times first time i got bored then restarted but then i accepted contract and could not do story line there was no way to cancel contract so i quit.. Sadly most of the best games are not hereWhat an amazing games the graphics and gameplay was unique. Although poorly placed checkpoints and a glitch where you can't quit contracts made me unable to play the story line...... I played it 2 times first time i got bored then restarted but then i accepted contract and could not do story line there was no way to cancel contract so i quit.. Sadly most of the best games are not here yet....

Maki
  28. Nov 17, 2013
    This game looks absolutely amazing and excels with the sheer sense of scope. Giving this a 10 to counter some of the frankly absurd 0s that I have been seeing. To rate this a 0 takes a troll of the highest caliber and likely someone who has never actually played the game. If you do not like this game fine, but to say its not a well crafted and enjoyable game seems bizarre to me. MyThis game looks absolutely amazing and excels with the sheer sense of scope. Giving this a 10 to counter some of the frankly absurd 0s that I have been seeing. To rate this a 0 takes a troll of the highest caliber and likely someone who has never actually played the game. If you do not like this game fine, but to say its not a well crafted and enjoyable game seems bizarre to me. My favorite setting of all Assassin's creed games hands down. They have captured the Caribbean in a way that I wouldn't have thought possible and the share feature of the PS4 has been put to great use with one stunning vista after another. Expand
  29. Nov 17, 2013
    This game is the best assassins creed game to date. Very addictive. Awesome story and great gameplay. Graphics look superb on ps4. This is my favorite game this year so far for any system.
  30. May 9, 2014
    pirate part of the game=good, but from the assassins creed franchise viewpoint its poor. every mission was pretty much the same (follow this guy, follow that guy.... oh now earsdrop on the conversation...kill. then it restarts) i havnt even finished it and im bored out of my **** mind

1. Apr 20, 2014
    The PlayStation 4 version of the game is mechanically the same as the PlayStation 3 version, but the new engine is eye-poppingly awesome.
  2. Ubisoft significantly improved the multiplayer side of things. Also, story takes you places.
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    It’s difficult to imagine Assassin’s Creed ever leaving the sea behind.