8.0

1. Apr 29, 2014
    I would advise to those who are thinking about getting this game to not listen to the negative nancies giving it poor ratings. They've been conditioned to put every game in this generation into a box and if it doesn't fit then it's not up to par with their standards.

I can't remember the last time that I played a game that was actually art and wasn't just a button masher in the past year besides GTA 5 and The Last of Us.

Besides Ni No Kuni this is also one of the few RPGs that's actually doing it right while Final Fantasy has lost it's shine since FFX.

Personally, I have no problem with the minimalism of the game. In fact, I think minimalism is part of the direction its creators took and it's told like a child's fantasy story book with the pages coming to life. I guess being an older gamer has made it apparent to me that reviewers have become obsessed with having games crammed with massive amounts of content. The game is only $15.00, after all, and it also had a DLC option on the main menu which tells us that there will be more.

Lastly, it is my opinion that this is the best RPG in the past few years to come out.
  2. Feb 24, 2015
    Distilled and beautiful. Intriguing battle system that will keep you busy and engaged, and is brilliant fun for co-op. Floating and exploring the world is lovely; characters are quaint and friendly. Long enough game for the price, but made me wish it was longer, in the best way. Worth double the price.

Buy it, play it, remember it fondly.
  3. Aug 23, 2015
    I dislike Ubisoft, don't like them I say!
    But I love what they did here, yes, I love this game.
    An RPG with characters great,
    and emotional story made it so hard to hate.
    Lucky I was to find it on sale,
    for I will not forget this epic...adventure? -- (I think she means tale. :)
  4. Jun 6, 2016
    Child of Light is certainly one of those games that makes you spend hours playing without realizing that the clock went by. Definitely a great RPG that keeps alive the genre with a few other titles such as Ni No Kuni, Grandia or the first Final Fantasy's.

The game is pure art, everything looks like something out of a painting or a watercolor rather, it is colorful and vibrant, contrasting with the dark and sad story that tells us as we go through the chapters. Speaking of what, the story itself, it took me back to my childhood, when it was time to go to sleep and grandad read me stories beside the bed. For those who have spent some time playing games, you will see from afar the story setbacks, but still a very good job.

As for the gampeplay itself, it's a linear game with a few side quests and some really curious and friendly characters that speak in couplets, which at first it's pretty funny, but eventually can become a bit tedious. What more satisfaction has given me is the freedom to fly between the different levels of each map, which gives you more freedom and avoids the monotony which these games usually fall into, and is being tied to the ground almost constantly as in Never Alone.

I've always been a huge fan of the turn-based combat system and it's been one of my main weakness because one of the first serious MMORPG's I ever played had a tactical turn-based combat system and this was very familiar to me. Weaknesses and elemental resistances, along with the utility spells some characters have, make's it a very complete game with all the classic roles covered: DD, Tank and Support (healer and utility).

Personally, I think it's a game that is not for everyone and there will be some that will find it childish or boring because they are preconceived to play AAA games that we have become accustomed to lately. In fact, this same game is not at all similar to what Ubisoft usually delivers, which has been a pleasant surprise for me.

In conclusion, if you haven't played it yet and you are reading this review, I advise you to buy it, the comparison between price and reward is more than satisfactory.
  5. Jun 4, 2014
    I’ve read that Child of Light was inspired by JRPG. Maybe, I could feel it. But it’s not really important since Ubisoft Montreal’s new title goes far beyond traditional RPGs or gaming in general.

At first sight, Child of Light looks no different from a fairy tale : Princess Aurora, who has been transported in a strange world, seeks to go back to her father. But the comparison stops here because you realize pretty soon that the thing is unique.

Because Child of Light is, for starters, artistically unprecedented. Like Journey or The Unfinished Swan, Ubi’s game is immediately charming by its design coming from nowhere. As always, it’s up to each person’s perception, but you the strokes that forms the backgrounds, characters and monsters definitely seem alive. Lighting and shadows are beautiful and cleverly serve gameplay. Nearly every screen is magnificent. Every time I came to a new environment my jaw dropped. It’s very simple : you could open a museum with only Child of Light inside.

But the museum would hardly be enough. You really have to see all that MOVE! Not short of ideas, Ubisoft Montreal have created fluent and unique animations. Movements remind classic puppet theater a bit like Pupetteer which suits perfectly to the general picture. How to say it… it’s just 2D, but it feels a lot more immersive than most of «realistic» titles. Kudos to the animation in which Aurora loses her crown, picks it up and puts it back. It is really the must of kawaii.

Adding to that, the direction is quite above average. Child of Light borrows as much from literature as from fine arts : the Shakespearean lines with faultless rhymes are filled with elegance and intelligence. The devs have included and smartly transformed a few references : the wicked sister Cordelia, Achilles’s Odyssey… The dialogs as well as the story are both funny and moving, which is indeed a major quality in the greatest JRPGs, and efficiently addresses classics themes like courage, honor, kinship, etc.

What about gameplay, then? I’ll ask me. Well let’s talk about it, because again it’s not borrowed from elsewhere but created from scratch. True, the progression remains fairly linear, but it’s a pleasure to rummage the stages to find hidden objects and secrets. Moreover, a dozen of sidequests will make you search in places you’ve previously visited and you’ll have sometimes to search intensely.

The battle system is fairly original too. You share with your enemies a timeline divided between “wait” and “cast”. If you hit a opponent that is in the “cast” area, that skips its turns. But careful, this applies to you as well! Thinking ahead the movements in the timeline is key to victory, but you have a trump card : your little fairy Igniculus (controlled with the right stick) can slower foes and allow you to overtake them. Each of the seven characters has a specialty and you can equip Oculi (gems) to boost their parameters (elemental attack/defense, ATK+, XP+, etc.). The fights in themselves are really interesting in the way that they emphasize buffs and debuffs which your opponents won’t refrain from using against you. Up to you to withstand with a defensive strategy or break their assault with a daring offensive.

In particular, the bosses have varied behaviors and strengths/weaknesses, forcing you to switch constantly between your characters. Let’s stress that the boss fights have an epic dimension that totally lives up to the best JRPGs. The “bad guys” are horrible and scheming, the monsters are gigantic and the boss battle theme has some grandeur. Oh yeah, THE MUSIC! The orchestration is glorious, the melancholy affects the player deep inside. Ok let’s voice some concerns for the sake of it : I would have liked a larger trophy list, and the game crashed twice. That’s about it…

Child of Light is exactly what gaming needs : something beautiful, like no other, that pleases the senses and the mind while being profoundly emotional. It is an oasis in the middle of sadly generic titles, a masterpiece that stand out in the coldness of the mass market. Child of Light is one of the best titles of this gen and next-gen, and it costs only 15€…
  6. May 17, 2014
    Being a seasoned RPG player I thought it was ok. The combat system is great and the best aspect of the game, although having an active party of 3 might've been better than 2, as you end up really only using the same 2 characters for the whole game.
    All the dialogue is written in poem form. You call it art, I call it annoying.
    The game is very easy as well. In saying that I think it's
    All the dialogue is written in poem form. You call it art, I call it annoying.

The game is very easy as well. In saying that I think it's the perfect game for introducing your girlfriend, or non-RPG playing friends to RPGs
  7. May 27, 2014
    A unique and simple design of a game worth every gamers time. It's gorgeous water color design using the UBI ART engine gives it a dream like state that only helps immerse you into the world. It's combat system is very simple but has incredible depth. Every battle makes you fell a sense of accomplishment when defeating a new enemy. Although not the most challenging game it is well worthA unique and simple design of a game worth every gamers time. It's gorgeous water color design using the UBI ART engine gives it a dream like state that only helps immerse you into the world. It's combat system is very simple but has incredible depth. Every battle makes you fell a sense of accomplishment when defeating a new enemy. Although not the most challenging game it is well worth the experience. A unique story, incredible design, beautiful music and characters to keep you occupied for a 10 hour experience well worth the price tag of $15. Expand
  8. Jun 30, 2014
    Bought this game after playing Trine 2 on the PS4 i felt back in love with these platform games, visually this game is amazing and you cant help but appreciate how ubisoft pulled this one off, they must have some very talented people behind this project. i give this a 9.5/10 because it is a fantastic game but i feel its a tad too childish with some of the content in the game. However ifBought this game after playing Trine 2 on the PS4 i felt back in love with these platform games, visually this game is amazing and you cant help but appreciate how ubisoft pulled this one off, they must have some very talented people behind this project. i give this a 9.5/10 because it is a fantastic game but i feel its a tad too childish with some of the content in the game. However if your into platform games and want to be blown away by some amazing visuals go out and buy this. Expand
  9. May 21, 2014
    Making a great, haunting, touching, ingenious, addictive RPG IS NOT a difficult thing. "Child of Light", another indie gem in this dawn of the new gen, is a proof of that. I just don't know why SquareEnix tries so hard... and never hitting the spot. CoL is a brief, small, gorgeous, poetic tale of a girl who needs to find friends on an epic quest to free a Kingdom from the clutches of evil;Making a great, haunting, touching, ingenious, addictive RPG IS NOT a difficult thing. "Child of Light", another indie gem in this dawn of the new gen, is a proof of that. I just don't know why SquareEnix tries so hard... and never hitting the spot. CoL is a brief, small, gorgeous, poetic tale of a girl who needs to find friends on an epic quest to free a Kingdom from the clutches of evil; the gameplay is turned based, the graphics look like watercolor, the soundtrack is amazing, the characters are varied both in style and personality and the the whole tale is told in rhymes. Nothing, NOTHING that we haven't seen before; like I said, it doesn't take reinvention to make a phenomenal RPG. It is all about love, magic and respect to what make this such a great genre. Child of Light is an undeniable product of love and a game that really should not be missed. Expand
  10. May 8, 2014
    Eu adorei o jogo!!!
    Finalizei a história e peguei todos os troféus.
    Uma história linda e emocionante, gráficos incríveis e um game play inovador.
    Pra quem gosta de RPG e batalhas de turno, esse game é um must have.
    Ele começa um pouco devagar, vc pensa que vai enjoar rápido. Mas ele continua te cativando e um pouco mais proximo da metade fica impossível para jogar.
    Nota 9 com louvor
  11. May 9, 2014
    Child of light is one of the most stunningly beautiful and touching games I have ever played. From the first trailer I seen from the game I was going to pass but then I downloaded the demo and was instantly in love. Child of light is a rpg with a fresh take on the turn based fighting system and for no more than this game costs it's a no brainer.
  12. May 21, 2014
    One of my favorite games in a long time. Beautifully designed after Studio Ghibli artistry, Child of Light tells the story of Aurora fighting to claim the sun, moon, and stars in order to return home from a dreamworld. Great story (dialogue is based in rhymes.....it's modeled after children) and I was pleasantly surprised about the turn-based combat system which included quite a bit ofOne of my favorite games in a long time. Beautifully designed after Studio Ghibli artistry, Child of Light tells the story of Aurora fighting to claim the sun, moon, and stars in order to return home from a dreamworld. Great story (dialogue is based in rhymes.....it's modeled after children) and I was pleasantly surprised about the turn-based combat system which included quite a bit of strategy with buffers, debuffs, and magic as well as an ability to slow down enemies with you "power of light" in order to interrupt enemies and send them back down the waiting chain. The 2D side-scroller element does not feel like a Mario/Sonic game (or Strider on the Xbox One) where you can only jump and are very limited screen wise. CoL allows you to fly and seamlessly move around the map, even though it is 2D. I would recommend this game to anyone who wants a fun, inexpensive ($15!!!!!) game that takes about 10 hours to complete. Expand
  13. May 29, 2014
    Graphics: 8.5 Sound: 8.5 Gameplay: 7.5 Fun/Story: 7.5

Graphics: 8.5 Sound: 8.5 Gameplay: 7.5 Fun/Story: 7.5

It´s very beautiful and original art stylish. Although the game didn´t convinced me in some important aspects. The idea is good and the potencial to be better is there. Some details should be explored like the beautiful music, the entire world and with cinematics. Perhaps i have to admit that not being a RPG/platform fan i think that could influence me to underrate this game.
  14. Jun 2, 2014
    Child of Light is the story of young Aurora, who falls ill and perishes in her sleep. However, Aurora wakes to find herself in a world far beyond imagination called Lemuria, and she soon learns she must fight her way back to the living. Child of Light takes on a narrative familiar in children’s books, using adorable rhyming schemes and very medieval/fairy tale dialogue. This makes for anChild of Light is the story of young Aurora, who falls ill and perishes in her sleep. However, Aurora wakes to find herself in a world far beyond imagination called Lemuria, and she soon learns she must fight her way back to the living. Child of Light takes on a narrative familiar in children’s books, using adorable rhyming schemes and very medieval/fairy tale dialogue. This makes for an endearing story that invokes your inner child, only making you want to fight harder for Aurora’s cause. Not only is the story beautiful, but so to is the world of Lemuria. Colorful plants and environments only add to the illustration, perfect as it is.

With a turn-based fighting system similar to Final Fantasy, it feels familiar and still so fresh. Battles are always exhilarating and discovering new moves with characters continues to please. Along her journey Aurora meets a colorful cast of friends who follow and fight for you, and they’re unbelievably helpful. The most enjoyable component of fighting is figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of your teammates and unleashing them on the various enemies you face. Leveling up awards skill points that can be used to complete character perk trees which makes for interesting diversity among playthroughs.
    Another great feature is the Oculi, where gemstones are combined to increase quality, similar to in the Diablo franchise. These gems can be equipped to equipment for every character in your party, and they boost specific stats for battle. I’ve found myself spending hours searching for these gems and combining them to perfection.

One of my least favorite aspects of this game is the difficult quests and missions presented by Lemuria’s NPC’s. Frequently they are posed as riddles that may be difficult to crack, and they also almost require backtracking through at least twenty minutes of puzzles and enemies to complete. This can take you out of the story and cause unnecessary frustrations. But, these side missions are not essential to the overall main quest so unless you cannot live without completing the game 100% (like I unfortunately will) I would almost just ignore them entirely.

Minor twists and turns keep you edging forward, but as a whole the plot is predictable. Almost immediately you find yourself guessing who is bad and who is good, and you’re usually right. However it doesn’t seem to detract to severely from the emotional tie that compels you forward, constantly rooting for the good guys and biting your nails until they prevail.

Child of Light has made me smile wider than any other game in a long while. With few very minor issues I find myself saying this game is just shy of flawless. As of right now it is my GOTY, but others have vehemently disagreed and of that all I can say is preference. ShaunaOH gives Child of Light a 95/100!
  15. Jul 12, 2014
    This is a great game, I was a little hesitant at first because I didn't like the idea of the floating "firefly", however once I gave it a try I was really impressed. For the price that it is on the PSN, I would pay it all over again, very reasonably priced unlike some other games. Graphics are excellent, story line is excellent and the dialogue is great! It is a refreshing alternate to theThis is a great game, I was a little hesitant at first because I didn't like the idea of the floating "firefly", however once I gave it a try I was really impressed. For the price that it is on the PSN, I would pay it all over again, very reasonably priced unlike some other games. Graphics are excellent, story line is excellent and the dialogue is great! It is a refreshing alternate to the typical FF style RPGS. Definitely worth it. The only reason it is not 10 stars is because I would like it to be a little longer. Expand
  16. Aug 9, 2014
    This game has a story that you may watch as a movie or read as a book. Enjoyable-playable-top level artwork- Good combat mechanics.
    Only flaw of this game is the short game-play time.
  17. Apr 30, 2014
    If you don't shell out $15 for this gem, you shouldn't own a $400+ console.

If you don't shell out $15 for this gem, you shouldn't own a $400+ console.

This is the type of game that really only comes out every once in a while. There isn't really a title I could compare it to, which is a good thing. It's by far it's own game. You can certainly see the various elements of a few different genres (RPG/platforming/Jrpg combat/even some puzzle), but the way it's all tied together makes it one of a kind.

I am several chapters in so far, and I could not be more pleased. The setting/scenery is just fantastic. You can tell that a lot of love went into creating the game world. The environments are varied, the characters and npc's are fun, and your BFF Igniculus is the MAN. The story is probably the only thing in the game that is cookie cutter, but it's not bad at all.

The writing is very good as well. At first glance, you may not realize how clever it is, but I challenge you to write an entire game's worth of dialogue in rhyme and poem. That is the context of the game- it plays out like a fairy tale. The dialogue between characters, the random comments, and the narration is all in rhyme.

The combat is strong. I tend to think that games with turn based combat need to have some type of feature that makes it unique, as most of the good ones do (think south park: stick of truth with the perfect timing bonus), and Child of Light does have a few components that keep the combat fresh. I won't ruin the fun, but it's there. The attacks and skills you use are gained and upgraded through a simple, yet pretty deep skill tree. Each character (there seem to be quite a few) has their own tree, with abilities specific to them.

I could go on and on, but just trust one that is a lover of all RPG's, this is a great game. The only thing I can't comment on for sure is the length; as of right now, I'd have paid $60 for this game if that's what it cost. Depending on how long it is, I may revoke that comment, but at $15 you can't beat it.

In summary, it's awesome. Go buy it!

Did I mention it's gorgeous?
  18. Apr 30, 2014
    This game was visually stunning, has a fantastic story, along with some very humorous dialogue. This game cost 15 dollars, and it came with a pre order DLC. It was worth every penny, this game draws you into this cute story book world. On top of that, the combat system is as fun as a turn by turn system can be. I recommend everyone to check this game out.
  19. May 8, 2014
    Child of Light is simply a gorgeous game. There is really nothing negative to say about Child of Light the game exceeded my expectations. The graphics is just beautiful and crisp, the controls is extremely well polished and every button reacts with no delay at all, The story is one of the best I have ever encountered in a game. from the start you are pulled into this beautiful magicalChild of Light is simply a gorgeous game. There is really nothing negative to say about Child of Light the game exceeded my expectations. The graphics is just beautiful and crisp, the controls is extremely well polished and every button reacts with no delay at all, The story is one of the best I have ever encountered in a game. from the start you are pulled into this beautiful magical little world that will keep you entertained for hours.

Child of Light is a brilliantly done and well crafted, designed game. If you have not yet played Child of Light what are you waiting for play Child of Light and be drawn into this magical little world
  20. May 5, 2014
    Very beautiful game.

Do not worry that gaming process itself may initially feel a bit 'simplistic', combat system become more challenging as you progress while game visual art, music and story continue to create romantic feel of a fairy tale.
  21. May 3, 2014
    this game reminded me of the best time of final fantasy. excellent history, beautiful graphics, all narrated in poetry. Fighting very good, a little repetitive but very good. long and excellent game for a godo price.
  22. May 2, 2014
    A simple & stunning game, this game have show all the gamer how a RPG can be so beautiful & simple. Gameplay have never been so relaxed, battle & control is fun in many way & level up character is simple. Playing the game itself is like enjoy a beautiful artwork while listen to sweet-sounding music. The only weak point is the game lack of choices & short story, if you like RPG don't missA simple & stunning game, this game have show all the gamer how a RPG can be so beautiful & simple. Gameplay have never been so relaxed, battle & control is fun in many way & level up character is simple. Playing the game itself is like enjoy a beautiful artwork while listen to sweet-sounding music. The only weak point is the game lack of choices & short story, if you like RPG don't miss this masterpiece! Expand
  23. May 4, 2014
    Fantastic game for all ages. Well balanced game play, interesting graphics, and a sturdy plot.

My 8 year old daughter and I play this game together. She plays all the main characters and I play the helpful faery(blinding and healing).

Worth the $15 price tag? ABSOLUTELY!
  24. Apr 30, 2014
    I was skeptical about this game at first, I've never been a fan of turn based combat and was planning to just skip this game. Luckily for me ubisoft made a smart decision and included a demo on the PS4 store so I had to try it out when I had nothing to lose. So grateful I did, the combat in this game is so much fun, the time/cast bar keeps you always on your toes and makes the combat a lotI was skeptical about this game at first, I've never been a fan of turn based combat and was planning to just skip this game. Luckily for me ubisoft made a smart decision and included a demo on the PS4 store so I had to try it out when I had nothing to lose. So grateful I did, the combat in this game is so much fun, the time/cast bar keeps you always on your toes and makes the combat a lot more enjoyable for me. Aside from that the visual art style is so beautiful that I actually take my time just exploring every nook and cranny of the world and just taking everything in. After trying out the demo I immediately bought the game and have been playing for around 5 hours now and haven't found a single thing to complain about. For $15 dollars this is an amazing game, hell even for $60 it'd still be superb. I would recommend it to everyone, so much so that I made an account on metacritic just so I could let other skeptical gamers know not to miss out on this game. Expand
  25. May 5, 2014
    Absolutely stunning graphics, fluid motion, great RPG combat system, superb soundtrack, decent leveling system along with its writing.

Child of Light sets a bar for American Western RPG development. The game runs on the UbiArt engine where artists can directly put their artwork and see it flourish in the game. The character sprites are all beautiful with Aurora being one of the few 3D rendered character. The combat to the game is based on an ever progressing bar that indicates wait and action times for both the player's characters and the enemies. The system has depths that will satisfy any player that enjoys the RPG genre and even with new comers where their only RPG combat games has been Pokemon. The songs in the game were great to hear albeit not as memorable as some of the other triple A games, but I still have to hand it to Coeur de Pirate on her job of making the soundtrack to this game.

The only cons that I have with this game is the lack of voice acting, even from the narrator who has such a soothing voice (I wanted to hear more from her!). Also, party members would level up every battle, so having to constantly mash the A button on the controller becomes a chore. The writing was cool since the entire game is written in rhymes; however, it would've been much better if there were some narration involved since a lot of times these talks between characters would happen every time when a new character comes along and you beat a monster, after getting 6-7 members and having them talk to each other everytime after a fight also began to be mundane for me. Also, the day one DLCs in this game is a turn down for me, I had to get the DLCs from torrenting websites instead and there is a fair amount of new dialogue and the new ally is fairly useful for most of the game. The leveling tree also could've been simplified greatly instead of its simplistic design, just make it auto level certain skills since there really wasn't any depth to begin with.
  26. May 3, 2014
    I absolutely love this game. One of the best turn-based battle systems out there and great characters and story. It is short but memorable. Getting ready to start new game plus. Bring on the sequel!
  27. Apr 30, 2014
    A breathtaking experience filled with witty poetic dialogue, an incredible art style, and simple yet rewarding gameplay. This game is completely made up of various little things that work together to make a unique once in a generation experience. We need more like this!
  28. Apr 30, 2014
    This is easily the highest quality indie game I've ever played, plus it's super cheap. As the reviews have said, the graphics are breath-taking, and it's quality as an RPG is hard to match. Overall just a really great game.
  29. Apr 30, 2014
    This game is on of the most beautiful game i ever play,
    Beautiful Soundtrack,
    Beautiful Graphics,
    Beautiful History
    Beautiful Price (ONLY 14.99)
    Buy this game Now!!
  30. May 2, 2014
    Beautiful RPG-Poem, a little gem and is necessary to play it. I play s every day video games but this is the best of them that I play actually. Nice history, nice battle-turns, nice graphipcs... LITTLE GEM OF GAME
  31. May 8, 2014
    Child of Light is a great RPG experience that shines above the market of today where we see more games being "realistic" and "big" instead of respecting the possibilities with the vision of a team or a creator.

Fantastic art style, stellar soundtrack, dynamic combat system, memorable companions and a world that invites you to admire... The story, while harmless, neat and innocent is

The story, while harmless, neat and innocent is also very safe played and the rhymes are a little distracting...
  32. Jun 26, 2014
    This is a wonderful game to experience. Amazing soundtrack with artistic backgrounds, characters, and bosses. I really cant believe that this game was only 15 bucks. Has a fast paced battle system for a semi turn based approach. Has a great rpg element to it, with a humble heart. Great game. A must buy!
  33. May 10, 2014
    I am always a big fan of games that have a great story and a deep atmosphere. The art style is beautiful and a breath of fresh air compared to most other games today (or ever). Exploration is a blast, and combat is fun, although simple. The story not original at all. It is has similarities with various mythologies and seems to be inspired by old Disney movies. It was presented very well,I am always a big fan of games that have a great story and a deep atmosphere. The art style is beautiful and a breath of fresh air compared to most other games today (or ever). Exploration is a blast, and combat is fun, although simple. The story not original at all. It is has similarities with various mythologies and seems to be inspired by old Disney movies. It was presented very well, and was fun to see unfold regardless of its generic origins. For $15 the entire tale and sidequests took over 10 hours, and the option for a new game+ or a hard difficulty gives replayability.

Really my only complaints with this game is the combat, which is obviously inspired by Grandia and Final Fantasy. I love both those series and Grandia's combat in particular has always been fantastic. However, in this game it doesn't feel nearly as deep as either of the classic RPG series. I think cancelling should have been linked to specific abilities instead of all of them (like Grandia). Also, Three characters at a time should have been the norm. Why did they choose two? It just seems silly. Three characters would have made for much more interactivity and strategy. Two just limits you to attacker and healer.

For my final thought, I will just say that this is the only game i've played that has ever crashed on a console. Highly recommended.
  34. Jun 29, 2016
    Phenomenal. This game is gorgeous with fantastic combat and a decent story. With it being almost always on sale, it would be ludicrous to pass it up..
  35. May 3, 2014
    Top quality game, easy to get into, stunning art and a great storyline. The turn based combat is great and the music is excellent. Absolute bargain given its price.
  36. May 6, 2014
    Child of Light is just as enjoyable and fanciful as I had hoped it would be. The first thing I have to praise is the music. The score is beautiful and goes from haunting and dreary, then to epic and urgent, and then to the soft melancholy that is the ambient feeling of the game. The visuals are lovely and there are some specifically gorgeous movements in the game that make it come to life:Child of Light is just as enjoyable and fanciful as I had hoped it would be. The first thing I have to praise is the music. The score is beautiful and goes from haunting and dreary, then to epic and urgent, and then to the soft melancholy that is the ambient feeling of the game. The visuals are lovely and there are some specifically gorgeous movements in the game that make it come to life: Aurora's flowing red hair, the powerful way she swings her sword, and even her knockback animation as her crown flies off her head. The game's dialogue is written entirely in rhyme, which makes for some fun, and awkward, conversations. While its cute and adds to the 'fairy tail' feeling, it comes off a little forced at times (really a minor gripe).
    If I have to pick a con in this game, its the turn-based combat. Mind you, I have no problems with turn-based combat , and this combat is not bad. However, in such a beautiful, flowy, pretty game I'm a little thrown off by encounters that stop me mid-flight and put me back on the ground. I wish the combat was a little more fluid to fit with the game. Hell, it would do well as a hack and slash even. I know there's a party system and the party members are great, but it would be sweet to be able to fly around and just hack things apart as I whiz by. (Again, a minor gripe in an otherwise wonderful game).
    Aside from personal preferences, this game is great. I'm having a blast losing myself in a gorgeous fantasy world.

TL;DR: If you like whimsical adventures starring cute barefeets girls with badass swords, and don't mind turn-based combat, pick it up.
  37. May 5, 2014
    A good game all around. The highlight is the combat system, a sort of mix between turn-based and real-time that always keeps you on your toes. Each character moves in a timeline at different speeds and you have to continually manage the timing of the battle to maximize the times you break your enemies' attacks while preventing them from doing the same. Resistances andA good game all around. The highlight is the combat system, a sort of mix between turn-based and real-time that always keeps you on your toes. Each character moves in a timeline at different speeds and you have to continually manage the timing of the battle to maximize the times you break your enemies' attacks while preventing them from doing the same. Resistances and counterstrike/retaliation abilities add even more factors to get into the strategy.

Outside combat there is the occasional easy puzzle, but it's mostly casual exploration for upgrades, potions and "oculi". Customization is satisfactory, consisting on a different skill tree for each character (altough not abundant in skills) and "oculi" (crystals with bonuses that involve some crafting).

Difficulty-wise it was extremely lax, scattering healing points all around the map and even in each combat screen (for some reason). And they are hardly needed, considering you can switch an injured or "dead" party member for another fresh one of the whole circus you travel with. To top it all, plenty of potions. I still don't know what happens if you lose.

The plot is good but forgettable. The music is very enjoyable and fitting with the theme, and the battle themes are really catchy. Graphics are great, and in more that one occasion I had to stop to admire the beautifully designed scenery. As for the length, it was satisfactory, although I certainly wouldn't have minded a bit more.
    All in all, I enjoyed it and recommend it.
  38. May 6, 2014
    Child of Light far exceeded my expectations and has now become one of my favorite games of all time. There is no better RPG on the market what this game offers for the price ($14.99) . This easily could have retailed for $49.99 and would be worth every penny still. The environment is lush , beautiful and the game play is seamless. I clocked in about 30 hours into the game making sure I wasChild of Light far exceeded my expectations and has now become one of my favorite games of all time. There is no better RPG on the market what this game offers for the price ($14.99) . This easily could have retailed for $49.99 and would be worth every penny still. The environment is lush , beautiful and the game play is seamless. I clocked in about 30 hours into the game making sure I was lv 50 by the end of the game, completed all side missions, found all the chests etc. The game is superbly scripted and for purists there is new game +. GOTY contender ! Expand
  39. May 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. French,
    J'ai adoré ce jeu autant son histoire que son gameplay. Graphiquement il est magnifique, très artistique.

La durée de vie est pour moi très longue, je l'ai mis en difficile et je le fais en new game + (je recommence le jeu avec mon level, mes pierres (oculi) et mes compétences donc j'en suis à 20 heures pour le moment sachant que je ne l'ai pas fini en new game +.

Son gameplay n'est pas du tout ennuyant, au contraire la barre de temps et la luciole rendent les combats très dynamiques, là ça demande un minimum de concentration.

Très bon jeu (Amazing Game ;) )
  40. Apr 30, 2014
    Wow here is a shining example of a game done right. Everything about this game from the story to the combat is simply a masterpiece. Let me start of by the saying the whole game has been hand drawn using the rayman engine which to me for a 10 pound game (UK currency) is simply fantastic. The amount of detail and craftsmanship that has been poured into this game is fa-nominal. The story isWow here is a shining example of a game done right. Everything about this game from the story to the combat is simply a masterpiece. Let me start of by the saying the whole game has been hand drawn using the rayman engine which to me for a 10 pound game (UK currency) is simply fantastic. The amount of detail and craftsmanship that has been poured into this game is fa-nominal. The story is again scripted and planned out by absolute geniuses. The whole game and story is told with poetry though this may not appeal to everyone it still tells the story beautifully in my opinion. The game play is unique and fresh setting it apart from many other turn based strategy games. Overall the game is a masterpiece and I recommend it to be played by anyone and especially rpg fans. For 10 pounds this is a steal and is well worth the price. For anyone that has any doubts about buying this game please do its one that cant and shouldn't be missed! (My Opinion on the game, other peoples opinions may vary. Expand
  41. May 6, 2014
    An amazing experience especially in this poor PS4 game release period.
    It's hard to stop playing it from the first minute. Only the poor and easy to get trophies affect the play time, but everything else is 100 %.
  42. May 2, 2014
    A truly fun and beautiful game, well worth the little cash that is required. The combat system and visuals will keep you engaged from start to finish. The soundtrack is great too!
  43. May 1, 2014
    One of the best co-op RPGs I have ever played. Very very engaging.
    Crafting system is awesome.
    Characters are lovable.
    Skill trees are very rewarding.
  44. Apr 30, 2014
    Child of Light замечательная игра, такие игры большая редкость. Игра заслуживает наивысшего бала.
  45. Jun 10, 2014
    I grew up on First Person Shooters, like Halo. I generally buy, or at least try the COD games every year because I know what I'm getting and I usually enjoy it. I don't mind developers throwing "innovation" and "artistic integrity" to the wind if it means just giving us a game that appeals to our basic natures and is just simply, fun; even if it's the dumb kind of fun. Playing somethingI grew up on First Person Shooters, like Halo. I generally buy, or at least try the COD games every year because I know what I'm getting and I usually enjoy it. I don't mind developers throwing "innovation" and "artistic integrity" to the wind if it means just giving us a game that appeals to our basic natures and is just simply, fun; even if it's the dumb kind of fun. Playing something more "unique" usually involves a foray into the territory of games like Mass Effect and Bioshock. Nothing really exotic.

So I picked up Child of Light after seeing a beautiful game that was made by Ubisoft, of all studios. Being a fan of a lot of their recent stuff, and knowing that it would at least be meant for Western audiences (despite being a "love letter to Japanese RPG's, something I've never really appreciated), I decided what the hell, there's nothing else new really out right now and it's just $15 bucks.

Holy. **** Hell. This game is an experience. This is one of those rare, valuable games that makes you think of games as an art form, while still undeniably being a game, and most of all, still undeniably being FUN.

Gorgeous visuals. Gorgeous soundtrack (unless you have some sort of strange animosity towards somber piano tracks). Gameplay (read: turn based combat) that is simple at the onset, but at the same time surprisingly tactical and immensely rewarding once you figure out the intricacies of timing interrupts and coordinating abilities. Worlds that make you want to get lost in them, yet somehow end up directing you to the right place. Characters that are a bit cartoonish, but are all endearing and strangely human, for borderlining on cliche at times.

The dialogue being all in iambic pentameter was a bit jarring at first, but it has a certain charm to it. Same with the whole "fairy tale" theme it has going on. If you can't calm down your chest hair for a brief moment to just let the game do its thing, then so be it. But it has a way of doing things in a way that's charmingly sincere and unapologetic, and just makes it so hard to put down until you've finished the 12-15-ish hours of gameplay, depending on how much you fully explore.

It's a game where you feel, explore, craft, plan, and just drift your way through until there's nothing left, and you're left feeling strangely whole. It's hard to explain, other than that it's just a beautiful game. So go buy the bloody thing; it's hardly a nominal investment, it's plenty replayable with multiple difficulty levels and a NG+ mode, and the kind of game that somehow got past the formulaic, twisting eyes of publishers and into our hands. Publishers that need to be shown that stuff like this can **** work, and needs to work. (I mean seriously, this game is tied with Watch_Dogs for critic reviews! That's absurd!) Just go check it out, give it a chance, and if you've any appreciation for beauty, then this game will find a place in your heart.

Now if you'll pardon me, I need to go attempt to benchpress a car engine or something to try and earn back my man cred.
  46. Oct 3, 2014
    With excellent art design, a brilliant score, an ingenious and exciting battle system that prevents spamming, loveable characters, and an open world for you to explore with fluent movement, Child of Light is worth the 15$ ten times over, and I will definitely be playing it again.
  47. Jun 20, 2014
    Wonderful for what it is: a straight-forward, charming tale of a young girl on an epic quest. The art, dialogue, and mechanics are easy to immerse yourself in within moments of play. It's a nice change up from the xbox's typical arsenal of shooters and slaughter houses.
  48. Jul 29, 2014
    Very beautiful and minimalistic game. Artwork and music were simply amazing. Game-play was somewhat good but combat system lacked progression and remained pretty much the same throughout the game. The story was a little disappointment. It was rather complex and to my mind slightly obscure. Overall the game, however, was decent, enjoyable and especially beautiful. Considering the price tag,Very beautiful and minimalistic game. Artwork and music were simply amazing. Game-play was somewhat good but combat system lacked progression and remained pretty much the same throughout the game. The story was a little disappointment. It was rather complex and to my mind slightly obscure. Overall the game, however, was decent, enjoyable and especially beautiful. Considering the price tag, Child of light is a game worth buying. 8/10 Expand
  49. Aug 3, 2014
    Quite simply this is a beautiful, original game and is well worth the cost. The game play is simple and easy to pick up. The storyline is a small bit confusing but that's not why we are here, the visuals, the artwork - brilliant.
  50. Aug 28, 2015
    Child of Light is phenomenal, no more said. It has re-invented the turn based system that JRPG's haven't replicated since Final Fantasies were good (after 10) as this system allows you to think strategically before your next attack whether or not you can attack next turn or if it is better to defend against the enemy. You have two characters on the battlefield at a time all their skillsChild of Light is phenomenal, no more said. It has re-invented the turn based system that JRPG's haven't replicated since Final Fantasies were good (after 10) as this system allows you to think strategically before your next attack whether or not you can attack next turn or if it is better to defend against the enemy. You have two characters on the battlefield at a time all their skills different from each other. This comes in handy when playing on hard mode as you will need to alternate constantly making sure you slow them enemy down or speed up yourself, this is all based on a unique timeline system which determines who attacks next.

The art work is a true masterpiece its colourful vibrant landscape contrasts the dark nature of the game perfectly. its almost watercolour-esque backgrounds rival those of Okami; really paints a picture for you while you play.

My final thoughts on child of light, is that it is a visually beautiful game and has very compelling game play bringing you back every time you log onto the ps4, its battle system can mentally challenge you which you don't see much of nowadays in terms of gaming. I rated an 8 because I feel this game deserved it, it had adventure, side quests and so on but it did have very minor problems as I played along such as: when I got high enough Aurora was so tanked I never had to switch her out because the other characters levelled up without using them, I've never like that in games. Maybe a new feature they could bring for CoL2 if they make one, would be 3 characters or even 4 on the field at a time that would be amazing. Also I would like a sort of merchant in the game to buy potions because on hard they like to target your healer for some reason and having potions would be useful and maybe you could buy better weapons etc.

Thanks for reading my review of Child of Light (Ps4)

Ninjo
  51. Feb 22, 2015
    The best JRPG (even if it's not from Japan) that I have played in a long long time. I really can't remember the last time I enjoyed a JRPG so much. The gameplay has pokemon rock-paper-scissors elements and timing of attack plays an important offensively and defensively. Characters are customizable (ability wise) and you have many of them so that you can create specialized roles. An exampleThe best JRPG (even if it's not from Japan) that I have played in a long long time. I really can't remember the last time I enjoyed a JRPG so much. The gameplay has pokemon rock-paper-scissors elements and timing of attack plays an important offensively and defensively. Characters are customizable (ability wise) and you have many of them so that you can create specialized roles. An example of how I customized my character is I made his attack do fire damage and since earth is weak to fire I made him impervious to earth attacks. Your characters level up quite frequently perhaps too frequently because after ever battle somebody in your party has leveled up and you got skill points to spend. The atmosphere/art style is great but the characters have a somewhat two dimensional feel to them, they have one defining characteristic and all their dialogue exemplifies that. That being said the characters are still mostly likable and all your characters will interact with each other and the dialogue (all of which rhymes btw) is quirky and likely to put a smile on your face. I felt the story was a bit predictable and your reasoning for doing things or going places kind of becomes forgotten. It's a cliche fairy tale but I never felt that was a bad thing. I would highley recommend this game. It is about 12-15 hours long and totally worth the price. Expand
  52. Feb 20, 2015
    I'm a big fan of RPGs, and having recently got into the awesome Darkest Dungeon (PC) ... it reminded me of how much I enjoyed playing through Child of Light.

The turn-based attacking system has been done with its own unique twist, and there's a certain amount of brain power and skill needed to defeat later enemies. The levelling system is well thought out and again, later stages really makes it exceptional to play as a strategy/RPG.

There's no doubt the style in the music, voice and of course the graphics all play part of why this is a much loved title. It's been expertly crafted into a truly breathtaking little world.

Probably not for your CoD like-mentality players, but for those that like to sit down late evening and experience some enchantment, this game is for you. I keep seeing it in the PSN sales, and I recommend to anyone to buy it when it's on offer, as when you come round to playing it, you'll be hooked as I was
  53. May 25, 2016
    This is one of the first games to successfully blend JRPG elements with an indie style platformer type genre. On the surface that may seem weird, however since it is carried out in such an effective way without taking away from the soft narrative - this game is a triumph. Taking a back seat from all the loud explosions of COD, it's refreshing to see a slightly different take on a genreThis is one of the first games to successfully blend JRPG elements with an indie style platformer type genre. On the surface that may seem weird, however since it is carried out in such an effective way without taking away from the soft narrative - this game is a triumph. Taking a back seat from all the loud explosions of COD, it's refreshing to see a slightly different take on a genre that has been relegated to the background. Expand
  54. Jun 23, 2015
    Beautiful made with great graphics, great music, and great story, but really need upgrade the gameplay mechanics and get minus characters but better characters.
  55. Nel
    Dec 11, 2016
    Really fun rpg game, has fun elements in it, and it will take you through a journey that will make you want to play it again, or collect all the achivements. The game is really fun, and the controllers works really well.
  56. Aug 26, 2015
    Child of Light is a digital download, 2D side-scrolling role-playing game inspired by the art style of Studio Ghibli. Child of Light is a digital download, 2D side-scrolling role-playing game inspired by the art style of Studio Ghibli.
  57. Oct 23, 2015
    Estoy harto de los Indies, estoy muy harto de ese tipo de juegos, pero por favor, si son como este, darme todos. Un juego increíble, un RPG bestial con una historia que atrapa. Indispensable.
  58. Jun 29, 2016
    The most unique, and beautiful game I have ever played, the combat is turn based like pokemon but more complex, and you need more strategy. The music OH MY GAWWWWWWD its amazing, I would use it to make babies fall asleep, like I would literally want to die listening to the soundtrack of this game. Also all the partners you get along your journey are funny and cool. The art style is veryThe most unique, and beautiful game I have ever played, the combat is turn based like pokemon but more complex, and you need more strategy. The music OH MY GAWWWWWWD its amazing, I would use it to make babies fall asleep, like I would literally want to die listening to the soundtrack of this game. Also all the partners you get along your journey are funny and cool. The art style is very unique, the boss battles are EPIC, I just can't think of anything wrong with this game. It's so underated I bet Im the only person in my town (Morgan Hill, very small) that owns this game, this game really needs a sequel I will definitely pre order!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  59. Dec 24, 2015
    Child of Light is a solid game and I would recommend it. I am admittedly reviewing it a few months after playing it so my memories aren't as vivid as they could be. I know that unlike a few other small/DLC-type games I played (Rogue Legacy, Transistor, etc), when I finished the story of Child of Light I flew around the world for about an hour to clean up some odds and ends but I wasChild of Light is a solid game and I would recommend it. I am admittedly reviewing it a few months after playing it so my memories aren't as vivid as they could be. I know that unlike a few other small/DLC-type games I played (Rogue Legacy, Transistor, etc), when I finished the story of Child of Light I flew around the world for about an hour to clean up some odds and ends but I was basically done with the game and didn't choose to play through again. Not that I'm trying to knock it. Neat little game and great bang for your buck. Expand
  60. Apr 28, 2017
    I'm not a big fan of RPGs but this one...
    Loved it!
  61. Jun 6, 2017
    A fantastic game overall! The turn based battle system is my favorite of ANY game. It's complex and multi layered that keeps you constantly engaged. On expert level there isn't much room for error, so every move is calculated. You can't just button mash your way through opponents. Every win is a reward because it takes serious strategy.

The design of the game is refreshingly beautiful

The design of the game is refreshingly beautiful as you float through these magical worlds. I love the concept of using poetry in a video game, one ignored too often. While I'm not crazy about it all being in rhyme, a lot of it is quite good. It has its moments of growing tiresome, but rarely. The metaphors can be moving. It's a fantastic fit for the fairy tale like atmosphere.

Anyone who likes strategy or RPG games should pick this up. It's also not a huge investment in terms of time or money, I thought the 15 or so hours were perfect.
  62. Jul 2, 2017
    I've recommended this game to so many of my friends, and most of them liked it. No matter which genres of video games you like, you will like this masterpiece, only if you overcome your prejudices and enjoy it as what it is.

1. Aug 29, 2014
    None of it feels focus-tested, or designed to appeal to the broadest possible audience; rather, it always comes off as exactly the expression its creators intended.
  2. CD-Action
    Jul 23, 2014
    This game should end around the 6th hour – which is roughly the middle of the campaign – when artsy visuals and fairy tale charm concealing the rather shallow content cease to suffice and the originally relaxing pace starts to make you drowsy. [06/2014, p.52]
  3. Jun 20, 2014
    Its unique look and charms will stick with you long after you've finished the game, and long after you've forgotten most of the other RPGs that you played before it.