• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Apr 29, 2014
  • Also On: PC
4.8

1. May 1, 2014
    Not scary and boring,long loading times.... Outlast is a better game albeit I didn't find outlast very scary either.... I suggest waiting for The Evil Within , I have a very good feeling about that game. If you are thirsty for horror games and do not care abut graphics, I suggest you go back and play Silent Hill 1-3 or Resident Evil 1-3.....Amnesia is pretty good too..... I hope survivalNot scary and boring,long loading times.... Outlast is a better game albeit I didn't find outlast very scary either.... I suggest waiting for The Evil Within , I have a very good feeling about that game. If you are thirsty for horror games and do not care abut graphics, I suggest you go back and play Silent Hill 1-3 or Resident Evil 1-3.....Amnesia is pretty good too..... I hope survival horror games make a comeback, but with lackluster titles as "Daylight" we still have a long way to go... I am glade to see more horror games coming out but this one I can not recommend. I didn't like Outlast either but a lot of other people seem to like it so I suggest trying that game out before buying this one, and if you do not like Outlast then you probably wont like this one either... Expand
  2. Apr 30, 2014
    What I enjoy about Daylight is this, as that loading screen slowly moves along, I can hear my PS4 saying “Hey Boss, you have to check out this thing I made, I I I I I I I'm not even sure what it is exactly, all I know is that I made it myself. I did exactly what you told me to do. And I'm really excited about it!” And you kind of go “Awwww he's created a mediocre survival horror game, it'sWhat I enjoy about Daylight is this, as that loading screen slowly moves along, I can hear my PS4 saying “Hey Boss, you have to check out this thing I made, I I I I I I I'm not even sure what it is exactly, all I know is that I made it myself. I did exactly what you told me to do. And I'm really excited about it!” And you kind of go “Awwww he's created a mediocre survival horror game, it's adorable. I'm going to hang it on my wall.” But jokes aside I always love wandering through the bland hallways computers make when they're randomly generating a large environment. The environments are very large and maze like, sprawling rooms filled with mostly nothing. And as you explore a feeling that you're being hunted, and could be attacked at any time. You don't know if the music is signalling an enemy or if it's just screwing with your head. I have to admit, it scared me. I scare easily. Amnesia is one of my favorite games of all time but I never got past the first actual enemy, I just watched the damn thing on youtube. This game left me extremely uneasy. Lots of suspense, not a lot of action. The encounters are brief, I just run away. The enemies can be a bit cheap. But it still terrified me, even though I'm really easy to terrify.... So I don't know man, I don't know. It's certainly not great, but a 3 is a bit harsh, I'd say it's a 6.5, but since they only allow 6 or 7 I'll give it a 7. Also I have grown to have an affection for Sarah. I think she is a wonderful idiot. She's like Adrienne in Phantasmagoria. Whenever she delivers one of her terribly acted lines I can't help but smirk. Her fear amuses me. Although sometimes we're on the exact same page, terrified. But here's the thing, I don't hate it. I'm sorry, if you hate this game so much you give it a 3 or a 0 I understand completely, but I just find it fun. I like wandering around the strange labyrinthine mazes the computer constructs. I enjoy listening to the game trying to make me go crazy with the music. I also like the enemies, they're actually pretty scary.... So whatever.... 7. Rate however you want, I can't save this game, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. Is it worth the 10 dollars I paid for it? Yes, many times over. But it's not a perfect Mona Lisa or anything, it's like a low grade bag of potato chips. And you know what else? The environments aren't bad either, they're pretty frightening, but also just, very interesting. It's par for the course for procedurally generated levels, but still I think the level design was actually kind of nice. Overall the environments are pretty good quality. I think it's neat. Graphics aren't half bad either. Not great, but not nearly as bad as people are saying. Haven't finished it yet, but so far it's been pretty enjoyable. If you're really into that sort of thing, maybe it's worth a look. Expand
  3. May 1, 2014
    This has got to be one of the worst horror game I have ever played. It actually seems like it is a demo of an unfinished product to be honest. Kept hearing about this game since the next gen consoles arrived and this game is a huge pile of crap, a total disappointment. Avoid at all costs.
  4. May 1, 2014
    Boooooring....
    The scares are boring
    Leveldesign is boring
    Graphics are ps2 quality and....boring
    Loadingtimes are superlong and makes me bored.
    Was hoping on another survival horror after the fantastic outlast, but in this game the only thing i need to survive is boredom. Guess i'll have to wait for alien isolation then.
  5. May 9, 2014
    Ok, where to start. I was looking forward to this for a while it looked good and so sat down and was ready for a outlast type ride. Well. Its not that, not by a mile. Its repetitve, boring, irritating, poorly made, and so crap i havent even finnished it. Dont waste your money, try the new out last dlc its way way better.
  6. Apr 30, 2014
    I really thought this would be creepy and good..well it's not guys pass on this one. hard to see at times with flashlight. IF U compared this to other scary game this is at bottom...
  7. May 17, 2014
    The atmosphere is good but the gameplay turns out to be repetitive and overall very dull. It was poorly executed and feels very unfinished. It starts out feeling scary but in the end it's not.
  8. May 12, 2014
    What I think is being missed here by most reviews, is that this game is obviously intended to be rendered in 3D; it is a proof of concept title that falls short of perfection, but looses your mind on the possibilities of 3D gaming. I have played 3D enabled platforming titles, and watched 3D movies, but never played a 1st Person game in a full 3D environment as it is presented in Daylight.What I think is being missed here by most reviews, is that this game is obviously intended to be rendered in 3D; it is a proof of concept title that falls short of perfection, but looses your mind on the possibilities of 3D gaming. I have played 3D enabled platforming titles, and watched 3D movies, but never played a 1st Person game in a full 3D environment as it is presented in Daylight.

The story is similar to other horror titles that have come and gone through the years; waking up in an abandoned hospital/prison/ghost town, ect. and trying to make your way out alive, putting together the puzzle pieces of what happened along the way. It is by no means a bad story (so far) though, just don't expect it to blow your mind.

The atmosphere is chilling, and the protagonists random dialogue while searching the spooky environments for more flares or glow sticks actually drew me in quite a bit.

This is a $10 game that provides $10 of entertainment, why everyone is expecting more, I don't know... but I speak this after having played it in its intended format, 3D enabled with surround sound. If you do not have 3D, or quality sound devices, you may be better off playing Outlast and its new expansion. If you do have 3D, and quality surround sound, this is worth playing.
  9. May 1, 2014
    I haven't beaten the title yet, however from what I have played of it so far, it's really good. For a 10 dollar game I already got what I have paid for despite the level design not being the greatest. Overall enjoyable, the randomness of the game makes for mad tension. Some of the pieces you look for are easier to find then others, and running low on flares is a pain in the ass, but theI haven't beaten the title yet, however from what I have played of it so far, it's really good. For a 10 dollar game I already got what I have paid for despite the level design not being the greatest. Overall enjoyable, the randomness of the game makes for mad tension. Some of the pieces you look for are easier to find then others, and running low on flares is a pain in the ass, but the first time I turned around to an enemy standing right behind me I straight up shat my pants. Scary scary. Expand
  10. dpc
    Jun 3, 2014
    Whether or not a game is $10 or inexpensive should not justify a boring experience. If this was free, it would still be just as tedious and lacking in scares or a reason to continue. Outlast may have had its own problems, but overall is a much, much better game and more worthy of your money. I went back to view a video of one of Daylight's producers talking about how great this was goingWhether or not a game is $10 or inexpensive should not justify a boring experience. If this was free, it would still be just as tedious and lacking in scares or a reason to continue. Outlast may have had its own problems, but overall is a much, much better game and more worthy of your money. I went back to view a video of one of Daylight's producers talking about how great this was going to be before it was released. He deserves an Oscar (or jail sentence) for his completely devoid of truth performance. PS - I wish I had my 10 bucks back. Expand
  11. May 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i had to give it a 6 since once you figure out what you have to do, then you just have the fun of exploring a creepy maze, which i wish i had known this before i played but you apparently need to find 6 pieces of paper in each "area" before it lets you move on, i just thought this was optional and added on to the story but its mandatory and wont let you past a locked door that you eventually come upon and now i have to restart the game which should let me see how much different the randomly generated maze will be this time, so atleast that should be interesting.

for a little bit less then 10 bucks this game is fine as long as they make later DLC content for it, then i wont regret my purchase, otherwise its just a creepy game and as long as you like randomly generated creepy mazes then you will be ok with this game but if your wanting stuff like dead space or silent hill, then no those games were 50-60 bucks and more then 2-3 GB space.
  12. Jul 21, 2014
    I have to say with all the hype around this game it was one of the few releases for the PS4 i was looking forward to buying. In all honesty it had a good idea with randomly generated levels so that the playing experience, but after much fumbling around in the dark and getting lost a few times you go through your characters dialog fairly quickly. any time she talked it sounded more and moreI have to say with all the hype around this game it was one of the few releases for the PS4 i was looking forward to buying. In all honesty it had a good idea with randomly generated levels so that the playing experience, but after much fumbling around in the dark and getting lost a few times you go through your characters dialog fairly quickly. any time she talked it sounded more and more like a broken answering machine than anything else. In the way of horror genres you can do much better than Daylight Expand
  13. Nov 4, 2014
    Daylight have a lot of compatibility problems with PS4, it start to be repetitive, but the title just promise one thing, horror and there is a lot of jump scares and tension, the guys behind daylight should take more their capabilities to make a better horror game.
  14. Nov 14, 2014
    Initially this felt spooky and had me wanting it to be good. It is not. But I'm here to screw with the average score ... I gave it a 5. It really deserves a 2.

1. An interesting concept, but the game's lack of control over the scares removes any possible creeping horror. [July 2014, p.92]
  2. Jun 21, 2014
    Daylight is an utter mess of a game that never manages to build atmosphere or scare the player. Add in an atrocious script and voice acting and you have a game to avoid. [Issue#245, p.62]
  3. Daylight wants to scare the pants off of you, but stumbles with the basics instead. Just play Outlast. [July 2014, p83]