• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Apr 29, 2014
  • Also On: PC
4.6

1. May 17, 2014
    The atmosphere is good but the gameplay turns out to be repetitive and overall very dull. It was poorly executed and feels very unfinished. It starts out feeling scary but in the end it's not.
  2. Apr 30, 2014
    What I enjoy about Daylight is this, as that loading screen slowly moves along, I can hear my PS4 saying “Hey Boss, you have to check out this thing I made, I I I I I I I'm not even sure what it is exactly, all I know is that I made it myself. I did exactly what you told me to do. And I'm really excited about it!” And you kind of go “Awwww he's created a mediocre survival horror game, it'sWhat I enjoy about Daylight is this, as that loading screen slowly moves along, I can hear my PS4 saying “Hey Boss, you have to check out this thing I made, I I I I I I I'm not even sure what it is exactly, all I know is that I made it myself. I did exactly what you told me to do. And I'm really excited about it!” And you kind of go “Awwww he's created a mediocre survival horror game, it's adorable. I'm going to hang it on my wall.” But jokes aside I always love wandering through the bland hallways computers make when they're randomly generating a large environment. The environments are very large and maze like, sprawling rooms filled with mostly nothing. And as you explore a feeling that you're being hunted, and could be attacked at any time. You don't know if the music is signalling an enemy or if it's just screwing with your head. I have to admit, it scared me. I scare easily. Amnesia is one of my favorite games of all time but I never got past the first actual enemy, I just watched the damn thing on youtube. This game left me extremely uneasy. Lots of suspense, not a lot of action. The encounters are brief, I just run away. The enemies can be a bit cheap. But it still terrified me, even though I'm really easy to terrify.... So I don't know man, I don't know. It's certainly not great, but a 3 is a bit harsh, I'd say it's a 6.5, but since they only allow 6 or 7 I'll give it a 7. Also I have grown to have an affection for Sarah. I think she is a wonderful idiot. She's like Adrienne in Phantasmagoria. Whenever she delivers one of her terribly acted lines I can't help but smirk. Her fear amuses me. Although sometimes we're on the exact same page, terrified. But here's the thing, I don't hate it. I'm sorry, if you hate this game so much you give it a 3 or a 0 I understand completely, but I just find it fun. I like wandering around the strange labyrinthine mazes the computer constructs. I enjoy listening to the game trying to make me go crazy with the music. I also like the enemies, they're actually pretty scary.... So whatever.... 7. Rate however you want, I can't save this game, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. Is it worth the 10 dollars I paid for it? Yes, many times over. But it's not a perfect Mona Lisa or anything, it's like a low grade bag of potato chips. And you know what else? The environments aren't bad either, they're pretty frightening, but also just, very interesting. It's par for the course for procedurally generated levels, but still I think the level design was actually kind of nice. Overall the environments are pretty good quality. I think it's neat. Graphics aren't half bad either. Not great, but not nearly as bad as people are saying. Haven't finished it yet, but so far it's been pretty enjoyable. If you're really into that sort of thing, maybe it's worth a look. Expand
  3. Nov 4, 2014
    Daylight have a lot of compatibility problems with PS4, it start to be repetitive, but the title just promise one thing, horror and there is a lot of jump scares and tension, the guys behind daylight should take more their capabilities to make a better horror game.
  4. May 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i had to give it a 6 since once you figure out what you have to do, then you just have the fun of exploring a creepy maze, which i wish i had known this before i played but you apparently need to find 6 pieces of paper in each "area" before it lets you move on, i just thought this was optional and added on to the story but its mandatory and wont let you past a locked door that you eventually come upon and now i have to restart the game which should let me see how much different the randomly generated maze will be this time, so atleast that should be interesting.

for a little bit less then 10 bucks this game is fine as long as they make later DLC content for it, then i wont regret my purchase, otherwise its just a creepy game and as long as you like randomly generated creepy mazes then you will be ok with this game but if your wanting stuff like dead space or silent hill, then no those games were 50-60 bucks and more then 2-3 GB space.
  5. Mar 27, 2015
    Daylight is a mediocre game. The gameplay is VERY repetitive, walking around, grabbing notes to advance to the next area for 2-3 hours can be boring. The graphics aren't breathtaking, but average. It is not a story driven game, I think the developers intended this game to be a "walking around in dark places and hope there's not a scary witch behind you" kind of game. The jumpscares can beDaylight is a mediocre game. The gameplay is VERY repetitive, walking around, grabbing notes to advance to the next area for 2-3 hours can be boring. The graphics aren't breathtaking, but average. It is not a story driven game, I think the developers intended this game to be a "walking around in dark places and hope there's not a scary witch behind you" kind of game. The jumpscares can be scary at first, but you get used to it by the third area and just sprint around grabbing notes as fast as possible to just finish the game. Daylight could have had so much more potential if it was developed with some kind of actual, compelling story with constantly changing gameplay. 5/10 for the average jumpscares, graphics, gameplay. It's not bad, but it's not good. Expand

1. An interesting concept, but the game's lack of control over the scares removes any possible creeping horror. [July 2014, p.92]
  2. Jun 21, 2014
    Daylight is an utter mess of a game that never manages to build atmosphere or scare the player. Add in an atrocious script and voice acting and you have a game to avoid. [Issue#245, p.62]
  3. Daylight wants to scare the pants off of you, but stumbles with the basics instead. Just play Outlast. [July 2014, p83]