7.1

1. Jan 12, 2014
    How do you turn Tim Burton's 2d answer to Minecraft into infuriating garbage? Permadeath.

At first it will be boring and hard scavenging supplies.

Than you will be driven and make a farm, full of food making contraptions vast groves of berries creating new weapons clothes and devices to protect against the elements. Walls for safety and a spectacular base to provide safety after
    long days out scavenging and exploring ruins in this weird wild world. You will shave beefalo and ambush spiders hunt wild turkey and trap rabbits which you will use to make a magic hat.

All to assemble scattered pieces of your machine that got you here, than teleport to the next world which will be harder and harder.

Sounds like a 10 right?

wrong, permadeath, no finding your corpse and looting it or going back to your house. When you die which is VERY easy due to clunky controls, you start over from level 1 with nothing. Like losing your last life on an NES game. After 10 hours of work over 3 days you will be right back where you started.

This game has a LOT of potential, ruined by one fatal flaw. Although these purely random Toejam and earl style worlds are neat they are wildly disjointed, but that's the fun of taming them.

Don't get to attached to your pet beefalo, you die, you can't go back to your last save you are DEAD and it auto saves it and you have nothing.

I love the idea, would love a sequel, hell just an update to bring this game the feature we have all enjoyed since 1987's legend of Zelda.
  2. Jan 9, 2014
    Happily sat down to play this and, after an hour I had my science machine, a set of clothing and an array of weapons and traps. The problem, however, was that I realised I hadn't actually enjoyed myself at all. I love the art style, I think the quips of the gentleman scientist are excellent, but they all served to blind me to the fact that the game isn't actually any fun. It's one of those games where you end up thinking, "I definitely enjoy games more than this, don't I?". In summary, I felt that a decent chunk of my evening had been squandered. Expand
  3. Jan 11, 2014
    This game is basically a dead end (no pun intended).

Let me first start with what I like about the game 1) The art is good, very Tim Burton-esque. 2) The concept is good but needs to be tweaked to allow you to play on after death.

What I did not like: 1) Inventory system is horrific, and not adequate for the amount of items you essentially have to carry. 2) If you die, there is
    no resurrecting (other than if you happened to build something that allows so in-game). You have to start all over and do not maintain any of the recipes, exploration or anything else that you may have discovered. 3) The controls are clunky in general.

Suggestions I have would be to allow some sort of save at some point (make it 7 days, 14 days, even a month, but something). Now I am sure many of you will say that this is what makes the game so great, that you have to be critical and precise with everything you do, but this aspect really kills it for me with replay value. I have no interest in spending the first hour or two over and over again finding and crafting the basics to return to where I was.

If the graphics were not interesting and as they are the game would have received a 1. I really wanted to like this game, and did for the first few tries, but it quickly became boring a repetitious. I'll stick to something else for now.
  4. Jan 9, 2014
    It's ok for about half an hour and that is it. I really hope ps4 improves its ps plus. Painful going from 3 quality games for the ps3 to 1 sort of mini game on the ps4! You would never pay for this it's just a download play once then delete.
  5. Jan 9, 2014
    Having read about this game late and all the comparisons to minecraft and terraria the whole time I spent playing Don't Starve I felt like this was my type of game - but unfortunately I just didn't find it very fun. It felt like something was missing to make the game complete for me. Lack of online leaderboards and cooperative play make gameplay feel meaningless. A leveling up system I thought ok this might be kind of fun you level up and you can probably survive longer right? Wrong. All it does is unlocks more characters, which don't take very long to unlock, I decided to try other characters in hopes that the game would suck less. Unfortunately this was not the case. I'm very glad I didn't have to pay for this game having PS plus because had I spent anything on it I'd have been absolutely disgusted. I spent about 15 hours playing this game and the one thing that I could say is trying not to starve is incredibly boring. Expand
  6. Jan 20, 2014
    This game uses trial and error as an official gameplay mechanic. Normally its there due to sloppy design, however in here, the developers absolutely planned it. They embrace it. They put it on a pedestal (40YOV reference!).

Trial and error is a terribly frustrating experience for somebody trying to enjoy a videogame. This game deliberately does not have ANY tutorials whatsoever. You're
    lucky to get a screen showing what the buttons do. You have to learn everything the hard way, meaning by dying because of it and therefore restarting your game from scratch.

Simple example: You die if night comes and you don't have a light source. Nowhere is this even hinted at. So EVERY SINGLE PLAYER will die on their first play as soon as night comes.

And thats it, this is how this game works. You play, there'll be something new that wasnt explained, you'll die, now you know something new and you start over from scratch.

Those will add up to hours and hours of precious life time just lost. For no purpose at all. Which brings me to the other fatal gripe that I have with the game. There is no ending. There is no reward. There are no credits. No satisfaction. THERE IS NO POINT. I don't feel like investing my time on anything thats not going to give me anything back.

This extreme survival mode should have been just one of the gametypes offered in the game ALONG with a proper campaign that ends.

I see a lot of people are actually praising the game for the very reasons I hated it. The only thing I can say to that is... Well, we all like different things :D
  7. Jan 16, 2014
    This really felt like a lazy port from the PC, with most of the controls, and especially the item crafting/selection being very unintuitive with a controller. It's also very frustrating, where you die many times with almost no way to learn from it, and your progress doesn't save at all. The last time I played it, I survived for many days, but I still couldn't really build anything new, and my heart meter kept getting lower, but I couldn't figure out any way to fill it more than a tiny bit. Then I died when I first got to an area that had a crazy amount of killer bees that attacked on site, and then this large group of brand new enemies that also attacked me on site. This would be fine in a normal game where you respawned, or even if you were able to find your body and get back all of your items. However, Don't Starve has Permadeath, which makes the whole game pointless. If I actually kept playing it, I could survive in game for weeks, and then randomly die because I got to a new dangerous section and couldn't get away quick enough. Most of all, the game just isn't fun, and I definitely wouldn't recommend buying it, although it's worth a try if you have PS+. Expand
  8. Jan 11, 2014
    what a let down. this game came out 5 months ago on PC, it's been easy to get for about $2.50 via trading on steam for AGES. on top of that it's nowhere near a next gen game. this could run on PS3 no problem...

it's basically a bit better graphics than a flash game. the gameplay is ok, but like i said it's been old news for a while. this isn't really how to win customers over. pretty weak.
  9. Jan 26, 2014
    Quite a grim depressing atmosphere. Starting from scratch after each death made me feel like I was completely wasting my time. And introducing killer hounds just when things start to go well was the last straw. Quite an unsatisfying experience.
  10. Mar 28, 2014
    This game its not for everyone.. not even me. Not fun at all. You die a lot but you never get that understanding or experience feeling like in Dark souls.
    Playing it feels like a chore, Its annoying, boring and frustrating. Got it for free with my PSN plus and I deleted it right away.
  11. Feb 5, 2014
    Don't Starve has some fun elements. It's easy to draw some parallels to Minecraft but there's clearly more pressure here. I found myself very frustrated and ill-at-ease with this game. If I had a poor spawn point with low resources, you run around aimlessly until you luck-out or die. If the pressure was taken down a few notches, I think I could enjoy this title. As is, it was too stressful for my leisure time. In the games defense, I only played for one afternoon before throwing in the towel. Expand
  12. Feb 5, 2014
    Have stopped playing after 3 hours gameplay.
    Cute and classic art style is almost the only aspect I can praise the game for.
    The game is with lots of annoying inconvenience.
    For example, you can only craft advanced items near a science machine, forcing you to build lots of machines over the map if you don't want to waste time traveling far back to a machine, but the trade-off is more
    repeatedly picking and chopping for materials (still boring and time wasting).
    Also, The map is unnecessarily big. What is worse is the map is randomly created each time, so for every new game, you have to waste lots of time to investigate where to go for certain materials. And there is no way for aimed fast travel except that randomly set bug hole.
    The bag storage is far from enough, you always have to drop this for that, and when you need this, you have to recollect (of course you can choose to remember the place you dropped the items then travel far back to re-pick them but this will be more boring). The ridiculous is the chest for extra storage totally doesn't make sense because when you want something stored in the chest you have been very far from the chest, so what is difference between storing item in chest and dropping item on ground?
    Most of time, you feel you are just doing what you have done rather than a feeling of true level-up.
  13. Feb 22, 2014
    Gameplay: Nothing interesting to see here. Just another twist on the Minecraft/survival/"lel so indie" trends we've been seeing for the past 5 years.
    Although, I'll admit that the game can cause serious urgency when the character's sanity gets low.
    But that hardly effects the gameplay.
    Unlike Minecraft, it is a very hectic game and requires the player to focus on multiple things at
    once. However, after doing this again and again, it can get very boring.

Gameplay: 0/10

The controls are near perfect. However, it took me a while to figure out how to set traps in this game. It would've been easier to work out, if there was a prompt to set the trap.
    Also, walking around would feel more satisfying if the walking animation was more fluid.

Controls: 8/10

Yet again, the art style is also a rip off. The game tries to capture the Tim Burton aesthetic. And although it works well with the themes of this game, it's certainly not original.

Aesthetic: 6/10

This game is an indie, so it isn't aiming for a huge technical/graphical target. The game works well, 1080p and 60fps, and I have not encountered any glitches.

Technical: N/A

Although the music works well for the game, the sound effects can become annoying (especially the main character's voice.)

Sound and Music: 3/10

There are no tutorials. No effort has been made to teach the player how to play the game. Abysmal.

User Experience.Tutorials: 0/10

For an 2D indie game with a false portrayal of length, I wouldn't pay more than £5 for this game. It's £12. Abysmal.

Price: 1/10

Overall I think that this game is not for me. But I think that other people could easily enjoy this game if they have the patience to play it over and over again and is willing to pay for the absurd price.

Overall: 3/10

1. Great games have a simple concept and message. Don’t Starve will leave you feeling full. [March 2014, p78]
  2. Feb 26, 2014
    Don't Starve is a tremendously addictive game where the fight for the survival, mixed with exploring several places with its own magic, throw the player into searching every corner of the map. However, it is extremely hard from the very beginning, so there will be many players thinking twice before going on with their adventures.
  3. Feb 16, 2014
    Probably not a game for everyone. The pace can at times be very low, and the developers could've thrown in more surprises. But it's a title that is hard to put down once you've gotten into it.