7.4

1. Nov 20, 2014
    I don't like this game I prefer the old days when a game was built to be a game. The whole idea behind rpgs are that they are fantasy based and you are given an opportunity to change your character into whoever you want then play through adventurous terrain. Nowadays the developers have forgotten what gameplay is and how important it is. Game studios now are as guilty as fast foodI don't like this game I prefer the old days when a game was built to be a game. The whole idea behind rpgs are that they are fantasy based and you are given an opportunity to change your character into whoever you want then play through adventurous terrain. Nowadays the developers have forgotten what gameplay is and how important it is. Game studios now are as guilty as fast food restaurants making good wholesome produces into more accessible counterparts of half the quality. Yes improvements have been made on next generation consoles to better graphics and a larger game world but the gameplay suffers from what it should be. Remember games like mass effect and the elder scrolls series? This is what people want an adventure where you can explore a world, be who you want, go where you want and do what you want and have some say how it plays out. Replayable games that make you want to try again with a new character. Next generation consoles have made great strides building better larger worlds with better hd graphics but developers have done a terrible job with gameplay and also software bugs which breaks all fantasy immersion and belittles the whole idea of rpg and fantasy.. This game is no different, nice world, nice visuals but gameplay omg boring. Somewhere some development team brought the whole idea of workplace attitude into games it shows. No longer are developers making fantasy adventures with rpg elements and building a story into that to make it that much better they are just copying every other game out there. This game is not an rpg fantasy adventure. I want to be harsh so people are clear on my complaint, this game should be called "Dragon Age - Revenge of The Halloween Costume Party Scavenger Hunt Team". Yes, that is how i see this game its an elaborate fetch quest not an open world rpg. This is my critique of a lot of games these days way to much focus on the world design and such a poor idea of what good gameplay is and what gamers really want. We want choices, random loot, a huge game world to explore and consequences play out differently. We want non linear areas, we want interesting lore and creatures, we want game play that will make us feel like in a fantasy world. Certainly we don't want portrayal of real life anywhere. We don't want cutscenes that make us feel we are watching some cheesy tv program nor do we want a checklist of things to look for. We want puzzles and lore to back up the puzzle. So much is missing from this game. Its a drone of every other lazy made game with nice graphics. I can't score it that high. I appreciate how much work went into filling up the software program but at the end of the day i don't see myself interested in invensting my time in a scavenger hunt i can just go to a pawn shop in real life if i want. Expand
  2. Nov 19, 2014
    So far i have played the sing,e player for 3 hours and played the multiplayer about 3 hours. The multiplayer is very captivating. I found myself not wanting to turn the game off because i was having so much fun. When my friends get the game and we play it together we will have a blast. The single player is very well made. The graphics are really good for a game this large. There were someSo far i have played the sing,e player for 3 hours and played the multiplayer about 3 hours. The multiplayer is very captivating. I found myself not wanting to turn the game off because i was having so much fun. When my friends get the game and we play it together we will have a blast. The single player is very well made. The graphics are really good for a game this large. There were some points during the cutscenes where the framerate dropped but it didn't bother me too much. The story is pretty interesting and has me wanting to continue getting deeper into the game. Combat is fun and the tactical element proves really useful in sticky situations. At one point I was out in the forest and had to tackle a group of enemies when we all had low health and no potions left. Had i just ran in attacking we would have died but using some tactics i was able to kill all the enemies without anyone dying. All in all this is a really solid game and if you like RPGs this is something you should really consider buying. Expand
  3. Nov 18, 2014
    Contender for game of the year. It's been a long wait, but man has it been worth it. Great battle mechanics, much to do (with purpose) and guess what? It doesn't fee grindy (say what?). This is because Bioware, does what it does well and offers solid STORIES. Not just a good main story, but hundreds of good side stories (so far). Thank you, Bioware!
  4. Nov 20, 2014
    1: At first I have to blow of some steam here...

I own every Dragon Age and Mass Effect title with every DLC. And this game is another huge - monstrous really - letdown! I mostly play RPG’s. And Bioware know’s quit a bit about how to make a good one, or even a superb one. (granted, the ME series is more of a Shooter with an interactive Story because of the lack of complex combat
    1: At first I have to blow of some steam here...

(granted, the ME series is more of a Shooter with an interactive Story because of the lack of complex combat options - But it is tons of fun. I enjoyed ME3's combat in particular very much. I think they nailed it in ME3… )
    I became a huge Bioware fan with DA:Origins and began to question their sanity when DA:2 came out. It was the first video game which I literally threw in the bin, after playing it for about 15 hours. That thing had absolutely no resemblance to Dragon Age Origins to me. I felt used, to say the least. Back then I really thought, "oh man, EA is doing this to them". But after I have seen the combat system of Inquisition, I am free of that illusion…
    Since I enjoyed ME3 very much, I have high hopes for ME4. But since Dragon Age Inquisition, I no longer have high hopes (or any hopes for that matter) for the future of the Dragon Age series.
    I don’t take Bioware seriously any longer. Because I can’t!

2: And I will tell this to Bioware:

Guys, I still think your awesome and you have a lot of talent and passion. In the past I bought every Dragon Age and Mass Effect title with every DLC (honestly!). But, if you cut out or rather leave out complex systems, like the combat and skill mechanics of DA:Origins in future titles of the DA series - like you did here - you will have lost a paying customer forever! And don’t think for a minute, that any fan of RPG’s will take this sort of politics lightly! Complex systems, combat agency and a great freedom in character creation and party member configuration, is what lies at the heart of RPG gaming. Don’t insult us. And don’t try so hard to appeal to people who don’t play RPG’s. The only thing you really do, is making it harder for other companies to put out real RPG’s, because you water down the expectations of consumers.
    I guess my most diplomatic advice would be, to try and find a middle ground here. Make it possible for us to access all the skills via the radial menu and leave it optional for casual gamers to play an action game. Because this title is only partly a RPG! We want a broad variety of skills and more freedom to create. We like to create things from scratch and find our own solutions, our own approach to the game - YOU KNOW THAT!
    YOU ARE DESTROYING THE FOUNDATIONS OF YOUR DRAGON AGE SERIES!
    And me, as a RPG fan, I don’t want to buy or play oversimplified action games.

3: Now for the rating...

My rating for Dragon Age Inquisition goes about like this:

A RPG really has two components:
    1. The story and the dialogue or social interactions.
    2. The combat

For each part I have 5 stars to give at maximum. Because they both are equally important in my mind.

In DA:I I would give 4 of 5 for the story part. 1 of 5 for the combat.

I feel the need to point out, that I really want to give them an extra star for producing wonderful games and for pushing hard and so on. But since the skill system and combat system is even more dumbed down then DA:2 - I clearly cannot. They just took a pair of scissors and cut out every bit of complexity they could find. Well thanks for that, Bioware!

4: For my future considerations on buying a Dragon Age Game…
    (This is not effecting the Mass Effect series - so far...)

First - It is very unlikely that I will trust Bioware ever again!

Secondly - If Bioware does not put back in a complex combat system like DA:Origins had, in the next title - this series is nothing but a very poor memory of a typical consumer sin to me. That’s really all it will be. The reason I am so fed up with Bioware is, I have no real reason to even hope, that Bioware wants to fix these things. Even so they keep telling us. Which I take as a clear lie from them, at this point! I got lied to… thats all! How stupid of me…

Hope you enjoyed reading this review,

a Bioware-Critic
    (I am a German living in Vienna Austria)
  5. Nov 18, 2014
    So far this game is HUGE improvement over Da2 ,instead of having only one race in the last game now has gone up to 4 and instead of having a very small world like the last game this one on the other hand has a huge massive land to explore and the combat has been improved the story is also engaging so far.This is a must play for fans of rpgs and a return to glory for Bioware.
  6. Nov 18, 2014
    Great. Fluid. Combat. Easily the best game on PS4 right now. I plan on completing the game on nightmare and so far so good. The prologue was great and I can't wait to see what comes next!
  7. Nov 18, 2014
    This game is just awesome. Massive and complex story, amazing characters, a vast world to explore and that special ingredient that is present in all bioware games: The ability to induce strong emotions in the player.
  8. Nov 18, 2014
    My first impression is just: WOW!!
    After all those Shooters and Sportsgames there finally is a decent RPG on the PS4 and a really, really good one...
    My first impression is just: WOW!!
    The graphics are awesome, character customization options are plenty, combat mode different of what you are known from other RPGs, but really really great and the Story seems to be pretty decent as well (at least the part that i have played so far).
    A must have for all the RPG Fans out there!
  9. Nov 22, 2014
    I don't really understand all the negative about this game, i've put around 40 hours into Dragon age so far and I'm really loving this game, its honestly the best Rpg I have played since Skyrim. Maybe its just EA haters or something but its really a great and beautiful game well worth the 60 dollar purchase. IMO.
  10. Nov 18, 2014
    Look at some of the reasons for the 0 and 1 scores. Hilariously childish.

This game is amazing. A solid 9 without pause. The graphics (at least on the PS4 to a 50" Plasma) are stunning, gameplay is fluid, fighting is however you want it (smash-mouth, or stop and plan every move), the voice acting is superb (stick with the English male, however) and RPG elements are everywhere. All I
    Look at some of the reasons for the 0 and 1 scores. Hilariously childish.

All I know is that I'm having a blast, and that is what matters.
  11. Nov 18, 2014
    I dont really think this game is that great. It really reminds me of Twilight Princess on the Wii. The reason I don't like this game is because it is more a checklist of things to do, basically fantasy do this do that report back here. Hooray. Its a trivial time waster thats it. Like Twilight Princess the game looks fabulous and sounds fabulous but in my opinion the gameplay is ratherI dont really think this game is that great. It really reminds me of Twilight Princess on the Wii. The reason I don't like this game is because it is more a checklist of things to do, basically fantasy do this do that report back here. Hooray. Its a trivial time waster thats it. Like Twilight Princess the game looks fabulous and sounds fabulous but in my opinion the gameplay is rather boring and too much like going to work or being a systematic drone (game zombie). When I play a fantasy based rpg i expect to get lost in a world and have strange obstacles to overcome. My expectations are not to be given a list of things to do as if im at work and my employer wants me to get stuff done. To me that is not a game it is a checklist to occupy your time. This game is expansive and deserves a lot of credit for beautiful art and sound and a nifty inventory of stuff but the characters and how you occupy your time are not that great or interesting. This is my opinion you don't have to agree but I'd rather have a rpg fantasy actually be an rpg fantasy and this game is not that its stunning visuals and a list of things to do and after 100 hrs yeah you will probably be at the end of the discs software. Expand
  12. Nov 18, 2014
    One of the best RPG'S ever made. Gives Skyrim a run for it's money for sure. Amazing graphics, amazing story, and for the most part the game is extremely polished on the PS4 considering how massive this game is in size. Incredible! Well done Bioware!
  13. Nov 18, 2014
    Anyone who gives it a 0 or 1 is a troll. This game is incredibly detailed. Graphics look great. Controls take a bit to get used to, but work plenty fine. A ton of customization, lots of choices. In 4 hours of playing, I have already seen my choices make an impact on the game. I would say this is game of the year. Awesome game, have loved playing it.
  14. Jan 27, 2015
    First off, you'll need to be able to connect to the EA servers to activate this game to play it.

Now, if you were hoping for the sequel to Dragon Age : Origins, give it up. In fact, they handled the situation so poorly with The Warden's absence (sorry, yes everything I hold dear is dying, but I'm not interested, here's a worthless belt you can sell for 18 gold) and Morrigan's presence during this huge threat, that it'll disappoint you (if you chose the Dark Ritual in Origins you're really going to be angry). Overall, I played the game for 121 hours and I found the whole Inquisition plot not very interesting. The power and respect you're given is forced too quickly without seeming to earn it. Rulers of Orlais and Ferleden don't care if your raising an army and fighting by yourself in their territories, and concede to your will automatically. You tend to stand around more in the game listening to people talk about adventures than actually having one. Unless you count fetch quests as adventures. The plot itself isn't very big, but it meanders around causing the game to drag on for hours and you to lose focus on what is important. It's not like Origins' more intense, focus plot. Dealing with the Mage and Templars. isn't anymore fun than it was in the last game. The use of the word "Inquisition" doesn't make much sense considering your job is to do people favors, find things and build an army like a ruler; not torturing people to admit to and rooting out heresy. I wonder if someone was just so in love with the title that the developers were forced to keep it regardless of the storyline or gameplay. But mostly, the problem with this game is its over numerous side quests that are straight from the MMO format of checklists; find twenty of this, find forty of that, kill these, kill those. It is a lot like that game Kingdoms of Amalur: 1001 Dull Quests. I'm also disappointed that all your decisions from the previous game, when you load them up on the EA web site, really don't matter but for conversational pieces, codexes and lackluster cameos. As part of a series, it's disappointing. What started out so great with the first game and had so much potential going forward, just falls flat because there's no payoff in progression with your decisions or characters like in the Mass Effect Series. It is another stand alone version as DA2 was. You could say that this game undoes everything that happened in Origins. Which makes replaying through the series useless.

There are some issues with this this games overall performance. Glitches in the "save game" can corrupt and freeze you out of playing any further. I recommend alternating between two save files.

It certainly isn't the prettiest game that has graced my PS4. Much better graphic wise than the first two, but far shy from where graphics are today. It must have been a rush job trying to port this game from last gen to next gen because the frame rates in the cutscenes and during conflict drop. Overall, the graphics just aren't that good as some things look great, like a rolling sea in the background or dragons that'll chomp you to bits, and yet others look bland and void of texturing. You see people losing their feet through floors and ground, people walking through each other, weapons disappearing in people (and not in a good way), and disappearing/reappearing objects or people as you walk around certain areas. I guess I found the whole animation just plain ugly. Nice facial features and more detail to characters wardrobe and weapons, but overall ugly looking npcs and the bodies that look like marinates. My dwarf just looks like a walking barrel. I hope when they retool Dragon Age 4 that they decide to put their effort into art animation like they did in their other series Mass Effect. The sound is most excellent, as you can hear many noises and conversations occurring a the same time.

As for Gameplay, combat is like DA2 not Origins, except you'll squeeze the trigger instead of pushing a button. There is no auto-attack where it needs one. And they're missing the Origins cool finishing moves, AGAIN. They added the "tactical view" but that doesn't work very well because it is way too sluggish to operate. Why didn't they take advantage of the touch pad for the PS4? What I really dislike about the combat is that enemies will respawn in certain areas like the game is an MMO. I also believe that they wasted their effort on making mounts to ride, for it is just as quick, if not simpler, to walk through the game. Leveling up has sadly changed as you can no longer put points into your attributes like strength and wisdom, but only in which type of attack you can have on your hot buttons. And it certainly has the most complicated, with the most numerous steps in craft making that I have ever played.

Overall, huge effort in making this game, but lack of direction and poor choices makes a lackluster game and ruins the series.

Multiplayer? Ppphhhttt
  15. May 17, 2015
    Boring. That's the word I was looking for. Boring. I have no idea what happened to the creative minds at Bioware, but based on this game I would say they all got canned.

Dragon Age series is one of those that has it's fanboys among the gaming community as well as the professional reviewers. However, only one of the groups is getting paid for their praise. As for me, I got this game (finally) from PSN sales as I really didn't like Dragon Age 2 enough to invest in the next incarnation. First one was brilliant, though, I have to admit that much.

So what is wrong with DA:I? A lot. Being a solo RPG, the story is remarkably uninspired, which leads the player to repeatedly ask themselves "Why am I doing this?".

Secondly, the quests, and game world for that matter, are designed to emulate and MMORPG, namely vanilla WoW. That is, Step1: Get quest, Step2: Collect materials, Step3: ???, Step4: (Don't) Profit. This leads the player to repeatedly ask themselves "Why am I doing this?".

Thirdly, the battle system is, for the lack of a better adjective, broken. You can basically cruise through the whole game by pressing R2. What makes it further infuriating is that the tactical view is just absolutely useless. If you loved the battle in the first Dragon Age, don't get your hopes up. The battle system in DA:I leads the player to repeatedly ask themselves "Why am I doing this?".

Fourthly, have the times in RPG gaming really changed so much that character development is equal to ordering large fries with a happy meal? You cannot distribute any attribute points, and the only thing that "improves" the characters are better weapons and armor, as skill points are only spent on new combat abilities. As seen above, you only need one button in any battle, which leads the player to repeatedly ask themselves "Why am I doing this?".

Final verdict: This game is a sandbox for killing time. It's an MMO that tries to be an RPG or vice versa, while failing to be either.

Can we just pull the plug on Bioware already and let Player 2 take a shot at using the jaws of life on the dead RPG scene in next-gen gaming?
  16. Nov 18, 2014
    I haven't yet finished this game but I have a feeling a lot of the people giving reviews here haven't either. With that said I believe a lot of the people here complaining are either trolls or have been playing on the awkward controls that is keyboard and mouse.

I ordered this game on Origin this morning and thought I'd give it a try since they offer a nice refund policy. After 27GB of download later I found myself quite disappointed with the results. My system met the recommended system requirements yet there were still quite a lot of stutters with framerates. I'm not particularly picky about graphics when it comes to these games especially when it offers a huge amount of content so lowering the settings to minimal helped a bit with that problem. However, there's also this problem with the controls on the keyboard and mouse that I have a major issue with. It made the game feel really cheaply made like a typical MMO with clunky WASD controls. Movement feels weightless and the controls for camera, aiming, and skills just don't seem solid enough. Also the tactical view is so disconnected from the game that it's like the game is constantly pushing you to play the third person mode instead. The camera work on tactical mode is just as bad sadly. I was hoping to get the sort of controls that was in dragon age where everything felt familiar and you have really solid control over the camera angles over fights.

I suppose majority of the work went into the gamepad because after 30 mins I could not bare to play with the keyboard and mouse. I immediately plugged in my ds4 controller and my goodness, the controls were smooth and felt real really great. It was so good on the controller that it was like playing a whole different game. So right after that I decided to get a refund on origin and grabbed myself a ps4 copy and after a couple hours on the game, I must say, everything I read in the reviews are just spot on. This game could end up as one of my favourite games of all time and has a really good spot right beside skyrim.

Moral of the story, do not play with keyboard and mouse, it's a nightmare!
  17. Dec 14, 2014
    Zzzzzz. That's my review.

Zzzzzz. That's my review.

I really thought, based on the way people talk about Dragon Age, that this game would be a lot deeper. It feels like Diablo but with a different visual viewpoint and with a party rather than solo. There's lots of dialogue but none of the quests or drama feels like it means anything at all. And the combat is not about much more than clicking X. In fact, just about every action is not about anything other than clicking X. YES I KNOW you CAN press other buttons, to execute alternate attacks based on skills you gain as you play, but you don't have to in order to win. That's the problem. All those extra attacks and spells are no more useful than a new pretty outfit in an MMO. They are unnecessary. No strategy required. Hold down X during a battle and run all around the battle zone. You might die a couple of times, but it won't take very long to win. In Skyrim I felt more like I was the character and that I was a part of the events happening around me. Discovery felt like discovery. Dragon Age; Inquisition feels extremely artificial. I can't even swim. Try to swim in the ocean and you hear a screaming sound (it's supposed to be your character; why would she scream in the water?) and then the game resets with you just next to the shore again. There are slopes that are not very challenging but for some reason you can't climb them. Small walls you inexplicably cannot climb over, even though any 7 year old in the real world could. So, basically, beautiful visuals, but the environments don't feel open world-ish. Instead I feel somewhat channeled artificially. There are tons of barrels and other things that you cannot open. They are just decoration. You can only open select ones. You cannot loot everyone you vanquish. Nonsensically their weapons and armor are not available to loot unless the game decides to give you something, and what it gives you is not really related to the animal or bandit you killed.

Ultimately, the game is fun in a mindless sort of way, kind of like a very elaborate Tetris. For a much more involving RPG try Skryim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall, and Arena. The combat in Arena and Daggerfall is more interesting because as you wave your mouse around, your character waves his/her weapon, so you feel connected to the combat - no just hitting a single key. Arena is very old and has crappy graphics by today's standards, but it is gripping. I think it's free now and legally; just google it.
  18. Nov 18, 2014
    Lol at the people who are giving this a 0, I literally saw one guy write "I'm giving this a zero to balance it out" it's like, do you have a life at all bro? Hahaha, anyway, this game is amazing, totally makes up for da2, Roy elements we've been waiting for since dao. graphics are awesome and dragon fights are solid.
  19. Dec 26, 2014
    This is my second review of the game. I previously gave it a 6. After making it to the final mission I am downgrading my score to 1. In a nutshell, if you are someone who enjoyed DAO, if yo have played classics like BG2 and KOTOR and you are expecting something that preserves the spirit of these games while bringing them into the current generation then you simply need to avoid this gameThis is my second review of the game. I previously gave it a 6. After making it to the final mission I am downgrading my score to 1. In a nutshell, if you are someone who enjoyed DAO, if yo have played classics like BG2 and KOTOR and you are expecting something that preserves the spirit of these games while bringing them into the current generation then you simply need to avoid this game because it is an utter sacrilege of the RPG genre. No, there was no innovation here, no improvement, just poor judgment, bad execution and a misguided tampering and wholesale destruction of what makes a good RPG. I will be damned before I ever buy another EA/Bioware title. These people are in the game destruction business, not the game making business. DAI doesn't feel anything like DAO. The whole atmosphere and vibe of that game is gone. Just the hollow names of things, people and places have survived but they bare no resemblance with the originals.

After about 75 hours of gameplay and killing 2 dragons with my eyes closed and finger on R2 while occasionally using the blizzard spell (i kid you not, this is the FULL extent of the combat in this game, and I was playing on hard) I found myself not having the motivation to complete the final mission or see the ending since I simply couldn't care less about the stereotypical paper-thin bland story. The story telling, dialogue and overall writing in this game is absolutely horrendous. The story is just "there's a bad guy who wants to take over the world by harnessing the power of evil. Gather a team and stop him". That's it. It's pretty much Mass Effect 3 with dragons and armor. In ME3 you also have to recruit a team to go fight the bad guys. The result of this now familiar EA/Bioware approach is that they can entirely skip writing an actually decent story and instead tie a bunch on separate, disconnected bland mini missions and maps into a game. the result is something that doesn't grab you, doesn't draw you in and doesn't make you care about anything happening in the static game world. There are barely any towns in AOI. All characters including your own team members might as well be cardboard cutouts on wheels. The NPC in towns and camps just stand there, not reacting to anything and simply start muttering random BS when you walk next to them to give you the impression that they are actually alive and not sacks of potatoes with faces drawn on them. The accents in the game are all contrived and terrible. Who's idea was it to bring caricatured french, italian and spanish accents to a fantasy world in an alternate universe. The voice actors in this game are so busy feigning their butchered french and latin accents that they forget to actually include humour, wit and feeling into their lines. Probably the same douche who's idea it was to use French and Italian names to name things and places. It shows the total lack of creativity when you have to rip off european landmarks like Venice and Versailles to create your fantasy world. Then when the characters in those setting speak with ridiculous bad french accents it just completely destroys immersion. No words can describe how bad this is.

The game seems promising in the first few hours, but after a while you realize how boring and repetitive it is and you lose all interest in playing. I kept hoping for more to come but I finally made it to the final mission and I realized there was nothing to come. I had already seen it all. Finally I will just mention that this game is 95% MMO style filler content of collecting crap, and being an errand boy for badly voice 2 dimensional static game world inhabitants who want you to be their messenger boy.

So to sum up: boring story, lame dialogue, overall bad writing, no immersion, no tension, no suspense, boring non-vscieral combat, no strategy, dumbed down levelling up, bad ugly facial animations, lazy cutscenes. This game is basically a scam. A terrible product aimed at appealing to the lowest common denominator. Something that in trying to please everyone, alienates the fans of the genre, pleases those who don't know better and makes money for EA/Bioware. The big losers are those who wanted a quality game to truly enjoy.

As soon as I finish writing this review I am heading out to go sell my copy of DAI. I don't want this piece of trash game taking up space in my drawer.

The final thing I will mention is that this game does't deserve any of the praise it got. Most reviews have obviously been bought by EA or these sites have moron reviewers who can't tell the difference between a good game and a bad game. Only a handful of sites gave the game the score it deserves. One of them is the german site "4Players.de" which I have started using through google translate. the translation isn't prefect, but I feel I can trust them. Other sites that seem trustworthy are edge-online, incgamers, gamecritics and gaming age. The rest are simply tools and a waste of time.
  20. Nov 18, 2014
    Awesome game, great story and that graphics! First real "next-gen" game. 80-120 hours here I come! Great controls, however the control of the AI team members could be better. Therefore I give it a 9/10
  21. Nov 18, 2014
    This is one of the best games ive ever played simply class for starters the plot is fantastic the graphics really gets u into the game .The characters are unique
  22. Nov 18, 2014
    This gameplay is so fun. It feels very much like an Elder Scrolls game, but with Dragon Age elements (companion interaction, amazing dialogue) that combine the best of both worlds. This game is huge. It takes up 40+ HD space and you will get the most for your money. The graphics, smoothness of gameplay, and audio are splendid. If you plan to spend 60-70 dollars on this game, definitelyThis gameplay is so fun. It feels very much like an Elder Scrolls game, but with Dragon Age elements (companion interaction, amazing dialogue) that combine the best of both worlds. This game is huge. It takes up 40+ HD space and you will get the most for your money. The graphics, smoothness of gameplay, and audio are splendid. If you plan to spend 60-70 dollars on this game, definitely invest in this version. Expand
  23. Dec 18, 2014
    Boring time waster. That is all this game is to me. Good graphics. No story to keep me going. Boring button mashing MMO style combat. Can't seem to turn it on to play these days. Very mediocre. All it needed was an interesting story with a little mystery. Quests are kill monsters, close gates, collect resources, rescue people. Very boring! It's not terrible. Just not very fun.Boring time waster. That is all this game is to me. Good graphics. No story to keep me going. Boring button mashing MMO style combat. Can't seem to turn it on to play these days. Very mediocre. All it needed was an interesting story with a little mystery. Quests are kill monsters, close gates, collect resources, rescue people. Very boring! It's not terrible. Just not very fun. That said, I lose interest in most open world games and MMOs because of the quest quality and tedium. I like a little more progress made when I play for 2 hours and I don't need another job (have one job, don't want another). I need some adventure and a reason to continue button mashing and leveling. Same reason I didn't like Destiny. Big does not equal better in games to me. Lets hope the Witcher 3 keeps its interesting quest/story design that it succeeded with in the last entry and doesn't fall prey to these same problems. Expand
  24. Dec 4, 2014
    I agree with Ace99. This game is very disappointing and is not Dragon Age. It's more like a LOTR, Skyrim and Diablo 3 mutation. Seems like they decided to go to a bigger open world and it just does not work. The story is boring, the quests are redundant, the companions have no personality except for maybe Dorian, Sera and Iron bull but you really don't care about any of them like youI agree with Ace99. This game is very disappointing and is not Dragon Age. It's more like a LOTR, Skyrim and Diablo 3 mutation. Seems like they decided to go to a bigger open world and it just does not work. The story is boring, the quests are redundant, the companions have no personality except for maybe Dorian, Sera and Iron bull but you really don't care about any of them like you did in DA:O. I'm playing on a PS3 and the graphics are horrible. The characters all look too shiny. Controls go wonky at times like you hit one button for a spell and the map comes up. I've had the game crash about 3 times. There's something wrong with the sound as well, voices are speaking when the NPC is dead, music plays then stops, etc. I've also just killed a deer and he amazingly rose from the dead and is standing in a forest all frozen! The crafting system is tedious and too big, the character creation process is tedious and too big as well plus the hairstyles are horrible - how many bald headed and short-short haircuts do we have to have?? There's about 5 or so. Tactics system is gone and the new tactics camera is ridiculous. I do not want to have to micromanage every fight I have. There are no dwarves to speak of, no children, no funny townspeople, and even my hero is boring. I'm playing a mage and the way the camera angle is I can't even see what my companions are doing because I'm so far away. I can't even tell if my spells are hitting. If I get closer the enemies all come after me. The AI is inconsistent - I'll wipe out one group with ease then get killed with one-hit by an archer in the next! Very frustrating. The spells are weak, there are no healing spells, and potions can only be gotten in camps. You also have to run all over the place to find your companions in a town - not like Origins where they were all in your camp. This game is a perfect example of bigger is not always better. Expand
  25. Nov 19, 2014
    I'll make this short and simple, Game of the year contender. Dragon age inquisition is one of the best rpg's I've played in a long time. Fun world, good characters and so many things to do. Between all the crafting and quests, it's easy to see 100's of hours spent playing this great game. Great job Bioware , thanks for making another great game.
  26. Dec 21, 2014
    Laughably abysmal game developed by the corpse of Bioware, which was revivified by EA aka Satan. That this crap-heap of a game has so many positive reviews and has won awards proves that the video game review industry is a wholly owned subsidiary of the game development industry, and the latter has its lackeys employed in falsifying user reviews.

If you want a terrible single-player MMO

If you want a terrible single-player MMO designed by the B team from Blizzard, if you want endless fetch quests with crafting materials for rewards, if you want largely ineffective skills that hit like a wet noodle, if you want a game so dumbed down that it used a group of cocker spaniels as a focus group, if you want a game with no healing, if you want a single-player game balanced for an MMO grind wherein every MOB takes a year to kill, if you want to continue after dying in the middle of a dungeon with your whole party having 1 HP, if you want to support the continued desecration of the Bioware legacy at the hands of gaming's greatest mediocrity, then you might want to get Dragon Turd Inquisition. Then again, you probably won't like it unless you have brain damage, like the persons who developed this POS.
  27. Nov 18, 2014
    I was fully expecting this game to be terrible. I am pleasantly surprised by pretty much every aspect of the game. I am by no means close to finishing the game, but it is absolutely massive. I feel one of the most important things to an RPG is exploration and this game has it in spades. This will be in my top 5 games this year no doubt. I can't wait to play this through the rest of the winter.
  28. Nov 18, 2014
    Just got my game and played for about 12 hours (so my opinion is not final) but so far I can say this game is amazing. It's not game-breaking like Skyrim but it hold it's ground. The world is amazing even though it's not a big sandbox like in Skyrim, it still feels huge and give them the opportunity to make world completely different from each other without trying to make a logicalJust got my game and played for about 12 hours (so my opinion is not final) but so far I can say this game is amazing. It's not game-breaking like Skyrim but it hold it's ground. The world is amazing even though it's not a big sandbox like in Skyrim, it still feels huge and give them the opportunity to make world completely different from each other without trying to make a logical transformation. The game seems at first very stricted and you feel very limited to the road from one place to the other but after a few hours the world really opens up. So far I have not done any side quest's (maybe 2 or 3) and just done the story quest and still it feels like I only completed 1% of the story.

I have only played this game for 15 hours so my opinion isn't final but so far so good.
  29. Nov 18, 2014
    A must have, this is the game of the year. Lots of work has been put into this game and you can tell from the very start that this one is a winner!!!!!
  30. Nov 18, 2014
    I hate these people giving this a 0, what is wrong with you? This game is incredible. Are you really that butthurt over it not being completely perfect in every way? I'd give it a 9/10 at it's worst.
  31. Nov 18, 2014
    * Amazing atmosphere, I haven't felt this giddy walking around and exploring since Skyrim... it's more polished though, with only the odd graphical oddity.
    * Origins level, if not better, writing.
    * Origins level, if not better, writing.
    * Controller+PC = The most fun way to play. The UI for KB+M is lovely, but the movement is much, much better on controller..... they very much tailored EVERYTHING to work better on the gamepad (which is odd for PC).. this may irk some (but delights others like me to no end).
    * Use Mantle if you are AMD GPU - I got a based god 10fps bump and everything just seems to look and run better when using the Mantle API.
    * Install on a SSD for sure, load times are next to none.. just long enough to read 1-2 of the cards then you're into the game.
    * Cut-scenes were a bit stuttery as well, until I used Mantle.. AMD cards and DX11 in this game don't like each other as much.
    * The best music I have ever heard in a game, and I'm only 10 hours in.. it's just...... spectacular.
    * The Storytelling, so far, is amazing... only bested by the superb atmosphere and character interactions.
    * GOTY shoe in from what I've played.. it's the Dragon Age game you have been waiting for since finishing Origins, believe the hype.
  32. Nov 18, 2014
    Dragon Age Inquisition takes the greatest aspects of a classic Bioware RPG and combines them with stunning visuals and an exploration system that is one of the best to date. Take all this and add a deep, emotional Bioware style story, and you have one of the best RPG's to date.
  33. Nov 19, 2014
    Let me start off by saying... What is wrong with some people and some of these reviews... LOL the work that BioWare and EA have put into this title is simply outstanding.. the level of detail on even the most mundane tasks, it all has a purpose and all ties to the lore of the Dragon Age universe.. If you are not a RPG fan .. its simple not for you .. do not buy or play this game, stick toLet me start off by saying... What is wrong with some people and some of these reviews... LOL the work that BioWare and EA have put into this title is simply outstanding.. the level of detail on even the most mundane tasks, it all has a purpose and all ties to the lore of the Dragon Age universe.. If you are not a RPG fan .. its simple not for you .. do not buy or play this game, stick to your "Call of Duty" brainless shooting.. as for RPG fans every where, you will love this game.. the Sheer size of the world, even on a comparison to games like Skyrim.. is on Par .. if not bigger.. i have played a measly 14 hours so far.. and i cant get enough... the pace is perfect.. not too fast ... but nice and slow just like Skyrim.. i like enjoy my food, not scarf it all down in once bite.. :) Simply put.. This is in my opinion the best in the series .. If your a fan of Bioware games... or RPG's .. grab it up .. and savor it . Expand
  34. Dec 19, 2014
    Bioware is dead, all hail the new King of Role Playing Games - Electronic Arts.
    Everybody knows that they sold their soul to the Devil and Dragon Age Inqusition is the perfect creation of this union. Its sad how low Bioware has fallen, they are the new Mcdonalds of Rpg.
  35. Nov 18, 2014
    I'm playing it for a couple of hours now, and it's amazing! Dragon age lore is so complex, you can explore for hours trying to discover more about the world.
  36. Nov 18, 2014
    Possibly the best RPG of new gen, it combines Skyrim's expansive world with actual depth. The characters are interesting and well written and the combat is fun.
  37. Dec 4, 2014
    I thought I would like this in the beginning...but after 10 hours or so, it just fizzled out and got bored. I started to see that the negative reviews here were correct. I would say pass on buying this game.
  38. Nov 19, 2014
    The game is really fun. I'm currently playing a mage and i'm loving the skill trees and spells.
    Theres a ton of quests and areas to explore, you won't be completing it quickly. The world is visually stunning. There's a few minor bugs, but they are minor. 9/10. Worth the buy.
  39. Nov 19, 2014
    I want to start off by saying that this game isn't perfect. The combat system has a relatively steep learning curve, the story is a little flat, and I've run into a few bugs which I'm sure will be patched. Now that I've gotten that out of the way I cannot say enough about how fun this game is. I am about 3 hours into it now and every second has been amazing. DAI is beautiful. ElderI want to start off by saying that this game isn't perfect. The combat system has a relatively steep learning curve, the story is a little flat, and I've run into a few bugs which I'm sure will be patched. Now that I've gotten that out of the way I cannot say enough about how fun this game is. I am about 3 hours into it now and every second has been amazing. DAI is beautiful. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is the only other game that I can recall that dropped my jaw so far based on graphics alone. The Snow, the water, the trees, the darkspawn, the character animations are all so mindblowingly good. The story though flat I have found compelling enough to never feel like I'm just going through the motions. I care about all of my companions. The overall scope of the game is grand. Lastly and most importantly I have had fun for every second I've played. Expand
  40. Nov 18, 2014
    A contender for Game of The Year.This is the best rpg in new gen.It is better than origin,perfect.the story is fantastic,gameplay is wonderful,longevity incredible,120-150 hours.Shadow Of Mordor,Far cry 4 and Dragon Age are the best game of next gen.This is absolutely the best.
  41. Nov 18, 2014
    First Dragon Age game!

First Dragon Age game!

I'm not an expert on this game, but after 5 hours of playing the story I like it a lot. It's slow at the start but then it kind of sets you free. I love the music and the atmosphere, the graphics aren't the best but I can live with that. The characters have... character. Which helps a lot with not making it feel dull. I could change my rating but right now I'm happy with the game.

I do recommend playing on a higher difficulty then normal.
  42. Nov 18, 2014
    I am only about an hour in, but as someone who has over 300 hours in origins I can say my first impressions are not top notch. The graphics are fairly difficult to work around, at times you can physically see blocks in the scenery, it is very difficult to call this game next gen. The skill tree's seem lacking as well. Part of my love with DA:O was the deep entropy/blood mage tree's. AtI am only about an hour in, but as someone who has over 300 hours in origins I can say my first impressions are not top notch. The graphics are fairly difficult to work around, at times you can physically see blocks in the scenery, it is very difficult to call this game next gen. The skill tree's seem lacking as well. Part of my love with DA:O was the deep entropy/blood mage tree's. At this point, no such tree's exist.

At most, even if the story is 150% better than what I expect (which I can say is also lacking at this point) I would have to rate this no more than a 7. At this point, until finished I would have to leave it at a 5.5
  43. Nov 18, 2014
    When you think of fantasy RPG in your head, this is that vision. One might argue Skyrim is also a great fantasy RPG, while I would say yes, that isn't exactly the vision people would have as a fantasy RPG in their heads.
  44. Nov 18, 2014
    Absolutely stunning. The combat is fluid and engaging, graphics are incredible and the game feels entirely expansive and open-world oriented, where chocies you make in the game actually have positive or negative consequences. Feels very close to a living, breathing fantasy world. Very happy with the 70 dollars I spent on this game for the Deluxe edition. Bioware, thou art redeemed in mine eyes.
  45. Nov 20, 2014
    Pure Bioware junk ...
    - nonexistant evil path (no real choice and consequences)
    - no direct way to increase character attributes, party covers all skills early on and skill checks are a joke - hence you can do everything everywhere without giving a single thought about your chars and their builds (this is a huge letdown imo) - story and NPC actions/reactions contradict each other too
    Pure Bioware junk ...
    - nonexistant evil path (no real choice and consequences)
    - story and NPC actions/reactions contradict each other too often, NPCs feel lifeless (daily routines and interaction between them is much worse than in Skyrim and the Gothics)
    - too few towns/settlements, not much live in them (he compared it to all the stories/NPC banter unfolding in front of your eyes when visiting a Skyrim settlement)
    - tactical battles cumbersome because of the low maximum zoom level, but there are no tactics except for some combo abilities anyway (like: one char freezes an opponent, the other hits him for huge damage bonus)
    - nearly no planning involved in fights, the most you can expect are fights where you have to kill some conjurer first before you can handle the summoned demon, nearly everything else is mindless button mashing and levelgrinding. (dunno what difficulty lvl he was playing at)
    - party member deaths are not a problem at all as long as at least one party member survives, they just play dead, you know, after all this is an RPG *larpedylarp*
    - strategic map nearly without meaningful decisions, just another huge grind
    - the wilderness/rural areas are full of MMO fetch quests and retarded treasure hunts (press button to follow marker or sth like that), side quests in general are subpar (he didn't mention the stronghold and companion quests, maybe they are an exception?)
    - lore is presented in a very unimmersive way through sterile codex menus (I remember that being a problem in DA:O too)
    - game doesn't reward exploration because you just have to get near something interesting to get codex entries and quest triggers fired, after a while you just ignore the noise
    - side content dialogues are often badly written (sometimes too silly or just uninteresting)
    - the removal of a healing skill tree for mages really kills combat tactics, kind of moot since the game is incredibly easy even on the hardest of difficulty settings
    - Underpinnings of new world engine still have signs of classic Bioware flaws ... you can jump up mountains in the Hinterlands, but in town .. you have to FAST TRAVEL IN THE SAME ZONE TO GO UP A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
  46. Nov 23, 2014
    If you expect a Dragon Age, do not buy this game. If you expect a Skyrim, do not buy this game. If you expect a typical BioWare game, do not buy this game. If you expect a good RPG, do not buy this game.
  47. Nov 19, 2014
    To be fair... I didn't make it very far in the game, and from what I was seeing the story line could have been redeeming, but there were too many details that just couldn't be overlooked while still enjoying the game for its story line. If i listed all my complaints I would need more than 5000 words and no one wants to read all that, so here are the main reasons why you should wait to playTo be fair... I didn't make it very far in the game, and from what I was seeing the story line could have been redeeming, but there were too many details that just couldn't be overlooked while still enjoying the game for its story line. If i listed all my complaints I would need more than 5000 words and no one wants to read all that, so here are the main reasons why you should wait to play this game, if you ever decide to play
    1) Looting is a struggle because you have to stand right over bodies to loot and you have to use right click for the use key... which is difficult and frustrating key for that
    2) The graphics are seriously lacking for a game of its time... maybe if this was 2005 I wouldnt notice the glaring amounts of sheen on characters hair and the lack of finese.
    3) The combat... similar to the story line... is on a track. You just spam skills and left click (left click to attack is also really obnoxious) and you'll win. I was on normal so if you really want it to be hard you can kite around on harder settings and enjoy the auto-lock combat style.
    4) This IS NOT A FREE ROAM GAME... Contrary to what was advertised this game is very much so on a track and you play through it quest by quest... exploring has no real purpose and there's nothing pretty to go see because the graphics kind of blow.
    5) Your character responds when you don't want him to and will say too much or not enough, you aren't even in control for the dialog at all times,
    6) I was going to stop at five but this really is an obnoxious quality that I cant leave out: the music is terrible. I have only heard one combat song so far and it plays outside of combat too! The undertone is too loud and it drowns out the rest of the sounds. There is no stable equalization! Its so frustrating to listen to this game.
    Bonus: you are always running... shift is too hard to program as a run feature now and they already gave you jump so what more do you need.
    Okay so here's the only reason I played it as long as I did: no invisible walls. That right there is amazing. If my character could feasibly do something with jump i was able to get there. Which was awesome! I feel like if they put that much thought into the rest of the games design we would be experiencing next gen. **** here fellas.
  48. Nov 19, 2014
    Pinnacle of stupidity in story-writing department. What happened to BioWare, did they fired all the writers and now programmers and managers write dialogues and plan the story? Or is it some EA conspiracy to make RPGs as dumb as they can to annihilate the genre? Or is it just gamers and reviewers became so simpleminded these days that such story in RPG leaves a place for 80+ review score?Pinnacle of stupidity in story-writing department. What happened to BioWare, did they fired all the writers and now programmers and managers write dialogues and plan the story? Or is it some EA conspiracy to make RPGs as dumb as they can to annihilate the genre? Or is it just gamers and reviewers became so simpleminded these days that such story in RPG leaves a place for 80+ review score? Hey, BioWare - hire some writers for next game please, and preferably older than 6 y.o. for story to be a little more complex than just "Evil appeared - go kill it!"... Expand
  49. Nov 18, 2014
    I can't believe I payed full price for this. I feel so deceived.

I can't believe I payed full price for this. I feel so deceived.

The gameplay is klunky and substantially worse than in Dragon Age 2. It is like playing an MMO or something, you hold down the trigger and mash buttons, while the AI takes over the companions. There really is no need to even fight, you might as well just let the AI completely take over. It is so unbelievably boring. The tactical combat from past games is completely non-existant. The new tactical mode for consoles is broken and completely unusable. Characters are completely boring and the writing is the worst in any Bioware game to date. This game is even worse than ME3 or DA2! They probably spent more time on "sexytime" romance options for Iron Bull than on actual gameplay. -____-

I was a huge Bioware fan for many years, but I have come to the realization that Bioware is dead and has been replaced by EAWare. This is the last EAWare game I will ever buy, I am done with them.
  50. Nov 25, 2014
    This game is unplayable. My save files got corrupted twice now. I am not even sure I want to start for the 3rd time. If you bought the delux edition - DON'T download the DLC's. They are the reason my saves got corrupted.
  51. Nov 22, 2014
    ps4 ........loved it untill 10 hours in when it crashed and corrupted my game this game is broken beware the game is bug filled and at times unplayable my first and last dragon age game
  52. Jan 26, 2015
    This game is far from a technical masterpiece. It's like what ever the paid reviewers got and what we got were two different games.

Multiplayer was inexplicable bug ridden and unredeemable, I find it a little bit funny with EA games how their games are so broken but yet the payment features work flawlessly. ALWAYS. So there was a major incident when I was chatting to some grey

So there was a major incident when I was chatting to some grey wardens which forced me to skip dialogue to continue the game, skip dialogue in such a story driven game? Unsatisfactory.

Multiplayer’s bugs extend to people never loading ingame loading in bugged being unable to turn unable to attack res insane lag times. It’s hard to believe they would even release multiplayer in this state and it is a massive spit in a players face.
    I did a lot of side questing like almost all of the side quests I was getting bored with the game and decided to start the end sequence. All the choices I made, getting cole an amulet, helping French chick get out of debt, in the wrap up were utterly and completely ignored.
    I got what faction I sided with the power struggle with the king queen, I got one other faction and a minor detail about the inquisition.
    I don’t play 40 hrs to get 3 small narratives some of which were not really of significance.

Definetly unworthy of a ten let alone the critics 9.
  53. Jan 26, 2015
    The one word I can think of to describe this game is decent. Nothing, in my mind, excels at what it does. The story is pretty good, the characters are pretty good (humorous), the gameplay forces you to be tactical when the difficulty spikes and the variety of characters allows you to tale different approaches to gameplay. My biggest gripe with the game is the fantasy world itself. It feelsThe one word I can think of to describe this game is decent. Nothing, in my mind, excels at what it does. The story is pretty good, the characters are pretty good (humorous), the gameplay forces you to be tactical when the difficulty spikes and the variety of characters allows you to tale different approaches to gameplay. My biggest gripe with the game is the fantasy world itself. It feels generic. Bland. There is much to explore but I felt no desire to. The npcs that occupy the world have no character and most of what there is to see is wilderness. Very rarely that you'll run across a village or town and when you do there is really nothing to see of interest. There are a lot of side quests. I mean a lot. But they feel like mmorpg busy work. Expand
  54. Mar 4, 2015
    The sidequests make up 80% of this game and they are terrible. These fetch quests are tedious, boring, and repetitive. The NPCs your perform these fetch quests for are poorly animated and devoid of life, thus making these "open worlds" feel lifeless. I wish they had spent less time on trying to make this an open world game like Assassin's Creed and GTA and more time on the story,The sidequests make up 80% of this game and they are terrible. These fetch quests are tedious, boring, and repetitive. The NPCs your perform these fetch quests for are poorly animated and devoid of life, thus making these "open worlds" feel lifeless. I wish they had spent less time on trying to make this an open world game like Assassin's Creed and GTA and more time on the story, characters, pacing, structure, and world building. This game is a shadow of the masterpiece that is Dragon Age Origins where the story, world, characters/companions were amazing and the battle system actually had some strategy and tactics. Expand
  55. Mar 24, 2015
    Beautiful. Huge. Highly playable. Interesting story arcs but full and I mean full, stuffed full of FILLER content.

Each zone is peppered with rifts and camps and actual content in 10% of each zone. The rest is just fetch/kill. Off the beaten path, caves and dungeons are woefully uninspired. The influence system is there to remind you of how much grinding you need to do in a zone to

The influence system is there to remind you of how much grinding you need to do in a zone to unlock the next big "story".

The setpieces, when you do unlock them are very good but the basic problem is the world is flat. Enemies and enemy attack patterns are repetitive. This is Bioware at its most streamlined and most Ubisoft like.

Actual play time may number in the hundreds of hours, but actual meaningful playtime is 20 hours.

Not to mention the completely uninspired villain story.

Those of you rating it 10 clearly don't know or remember or have played games of real quality. This has length and breadth but no depth.

I fear for ME4 and if this sells well it will only confirm to EA that they are on the right track.

Don't be fooled. It's another fetch fest.
  56. Apr 5, 2015
    The replay value of this game is EXTREMELY high. You can finish the main storyline without any fuss, but after finishing the game it makes you want to do more. This game is littered with side quests, tiny story lines which makes this game amazing. Unfortunately it isn't a open world type of game but the many different locations are MASSIVE and extremely diverse, from a dessert to snow, toThe replay value of this game is EXTREMELY high. You can finish the main storyline without any fuss, but after finishing the game it makes you want to do more. This game is littered with side quests, tiny story lines which makes this game amazing. Unfortunately it isn't a open world type of game but the many different locations are MASSIVE and extremely diverse, from a dessert to snow, to tropical rain forests, to ancient civilizations. The art, graphics, voice acting is very well done. If you look at the characters while they speak the movements of their jaws and lips matches their words very well, it is believable. Also the game characters have such diverse personalities and you want to know more about them. I love this game, the gameplay and combat system does need a little bit more work because I find the combat too easy. Nonetheless, the storyline, romance, drama, jokes, graphics, acting and more makes up for the game's minor problems. Very well done. Expand
  57. Jan 30, 2015
    I m fan of RPGs. And if a game doesnt meet requirements of RPG , I give low rate. But This game meets requirement. The problem is lack of Next gen graphics. and there should be more fun activities and civilisation in an RPG . Skyrim was better in this case. I like the games. Its too long and exciting but it doesnt deserve AAA.
  58. Feb 10, 2015
    I've always been a fan of old school western style RPG's, which seem to mostly live on in recreations of older games. The original Dragon Age Origins was one of the greatest games I've ever played and never felt like another RPG reached the same height that game did. Before that it had been Knights of the Old Republic 2 that left me yearning for years. Don't get me wrong, there are a tonI've always been a fan of old school western style RPG's, which seem to mostly live on in recreations of older games. The original Dragon Age Origins was one of the greatest games I've ever played and never felt like another RPG reached the same height that game did. Before that it had been Knights of the Old Republic 2 that left me yearning for years. Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of high quality RPG's out there. The Mass Effect Series and Deus Ex Human Revolution were outstanding, but neither had the same party style gameplay that the fantasy counterparts in the RPG world have and the Elder Scroll series is just a different style of RPG. Dragon Age Inquisition skipped over the hack and slash style of Dragon Age 2 to return to a level, not quite as high as Dragon Age Origins at its time, that is enthralling with good longevity.

The game follows a mighty hero that falls haphazardly into the middle of an apocalyptic event. It's the fairly standard fare of "I'm a nobody, who happens to be amazing, and falls backward into being a hero." While I've read several reviews that found the story to be lacking, I actually found it pretty interesting. There are quite a few religious overtones to the game that can go either way depending on how you want to interact with the world. Being someone who is, myself, religious I found quite a few thoughtful encounters, but they could easily be played the exact opposite for someone who is not, or fairly agnosticly.

The world is beautiful and varied. The ten main areas are fairly diverse, though there are three areas that are essentially slight variations on desert. The game is a bit deceiving as the first area, the Hinterlands, is by far the largest and most densely packed area and the other areas are either much smaller or slightly smaller and much less densely populated. Groups in the different areas are mostly interesting and the cultures are widely varied.

Combat is fun, though there are no healing spells in the game, which is my main complaint. With limited potions available for healing it felt like they were trying to mimic the healing effects in Dark Souls (Dark Souls does having healing spells, but their effectiveness while in combat isn't very good). The problem with this in Dragon Age is that Dark Souls is rarely about fighting hordes of enemies and only have to worry about keeping yourself alive instead of managing multiple characters. Dragon fights are epic and provide a good challenge and a great sense of reward once they are defeated. I will sayI played through the game on nightmare (for the trophy) which was tough and intense, before switching to normal after I beat the game. Playing on nightmare was enjoyable, but once I was on normal the combat became dull as it required little effort. Even for enemies about the same level as my character I rarely had to do much more than just hold down the attack button.

The party members feel alive with their own motivations and takes on the world. There was only one party member I flatly disliked having in my party because of their personality. It wasn't the best cast of characters I've ever had in an RPG, but the main party members along with the other recurring characters made the game more enjoyable and made me feel invested in what happens.

A lot of what Dragon Age Inquisition does best is having a lot of content on the side. There is a war room where you can send agents out into the world to complete quests on their own and gain rewards and power for you. You can sit in judgment of those who have opposed you. There is a keep to upgrade called Skyhold which you eventually make your way to after the first part of the game being spent at Haven. There is a detailed crafting system, and a gathering system, that allows you to create armor, weapons, upgrade spells and craft extra components to go on weapons as well as runes to enchant them. The armor and weapons I was able to craft were never as good as what I was able to find in the world, and by the end of the game I was bogged down with good epic gear (and an inordinate amount of epic two handed melee weapons). The runes are powerful and useful, though be careful as they are consumed on use and can't be reused, and useful runes are rare and the materials to craft them aren't very common either.

Dragon Age Inquisition is a great game that does a lot of extra things not seen normally in RPG's. Despite my few gripes (lack of healing spells, crafting recipes that aren't actually helpful) there is a ton of content to the game that stays interesting. I've logged eighty hours in the game and still enjoy it. There is a multiplayer component similar to Mass Effect 3's, but I doubt anybody would be buying the game for that. It's fine, but the main draw is the extensive and enjoyable single player. I would highly recommend this as a buy.
  59. Jan 31, 2015
    7.3/10: It's better than DA2, not quite as good as DAO (DA1).

The least important aspect, the graphics: good enough but a mixed bag. There is a lot of shine to surfaces and characters but terrain textures are bland and unimaginitive. Gameplay: clunky. The characters and terrain mix poorly, they feel very separated partly due to mediocre animations (especially walking and jumping
    7.3/10: It's better than DA2, not quite as good as DAO (DA1).

Gameplay: clunky. The characters and terrain mix poorly, they feel very separated partly due to mediocre animations (especially walking and jumping animations) and combat is uneven and static.

Sound: Best part of the game. The SFX are convincing, voice acting is great and the music is superb. If only the rest was as good as this.

To finish with the most important part: lore/immersion: hampered by the mediocre gameplay, besides that it is clear a lot of time has been put into it. It helps enormously if you've played DAO and DA2 cause the game does not try to introduce the world in any decent way to new players. The entire beginning of the game is bad: beside a 1 second explosion in the menu (yes, the MENU!) there is no good build-up to the genesis of the Inquisition. It feels like in the time one would go to the toilet the entire inquisition is all of a sudden an organisation known to all, even though it didn't even exist in the introductionary phase. It took me 17 hours (according to the time shown in save game) to get any real feeling into the DA:I world, opposed to the instant immersion DAO offered. I'm still in my time for a refund and that is what I will do. It's not a bad game but wait untill the price drops below 30 euros.
  60. Feb 23, 2015
    Dragon Age origins which took 5 years to make destroys this game in every way aside from graphics and combat...... this was not worth the 4 year wait....... this is not a Bioware game, this is not a dragon age game. i am saddened to say i enjoyed the second game better. it was too short yes, and was phoned in. BUT, the second DA still felt like a dragon age game. this third game was WOW inDragon Age origins which took 5 years to make destroys this game in every way aside from graphics and combat...... this was not worth the 4 year wait....... this is not a Bioware game, this is not a dragon age game. i am saddened to say i enjoyed the second game better. it was too short yes, and was phoned in. BUT, the second DA still felt like a dragon age game. this third game was WOW in DA universe. terribly disappointed. will not be buying a Bioware game again without a lot of research. its sad that with the studios and manpower they have today that they put out such an inferior product compared to the first when they had a lot less resources to play with. Guess a year made that much of a difference.... sad. Expand
  61. Mar 15, 2015
    This game cost me 88 hours of my life and i loved most of it.

I realy enjoyed the vibe this game has. The storey is great... although the ending is a bit lack luster.
    The characters in this game all have personality, and the interaction feels great.
    This is a great game to escape the grind of real life.
    It did got a bit repetative, and thats why i dont give it a 8.
  62. May 6, 2015
    If you care about the world and lore and characters of Dragon Age games, Inquisition is wonderful. The companions (and advisors) are my favourite team across all Bioware games, they are funny, interesting, have heart wrenching plots and whether you befriend them or have... antagonistic relationships with them... the relationships and character growth feels real and personal.
    Plot wise the
    Plot wise the game is solid, and for the first time in the Dragon Age series I feel as though I don't want to move onto a new protagonist next game. The Inquisition is far reaching across Thedas, and I feel committed to my Inquisitor and my companions to follow them through to whatever comes next.
    I used to say "No one plays Dragon Age for the combat"... and I was right. Until now. Combining tactical and real time combat on PS4 is a triumph, and the game is perfect to 'play it your way'. I've played through all in real time, on casual/normal settings, and I've played through on Nightmare twice, once with lots of tactical camera, and once without, but with paying lots of attention to finding and crafting gear, and creating the best builds for everyone. All these play styles have felt fun and fulfilling, and despite being a 80- 150 hour game each time, has never become boring!
    Similarly there is lots of side content, which is there if you want it, either for lore and story and character purposes, or simply for experience, but you're never forced to endlessly grind minor fetch quests. The thing about this game, is that it is wonderfully designed and balanced for you to play it the way you want. If something isn't fun for you, don't bother with it anymore- turn down the combat (or turn it up!), stop questing in the hinterlands (or do more!), whatever you want!
    The multiplayer part of the game, while not quite as fun and fast paced as ME3MP, was still surprisingly fun, especially with friends, and well supported. I play it frequently, at weekends to do the challenges, and when I don't have much time but my fingers are itching for some dragon age!
    Also you can smooch and cuddle with some real cuties, or get down to sexy business with them, in the best romance content bioware has ever produced. And we all know Bioware games are just overly complicated dating sims :P
  63. Aug 26, 2015
    Choose and spearhead a team of characters into rough battles against a variety of enemies – from earth-shaking High Dragons to demonic forces from the otherworld of the Fade. Go mano y mano in visceral, heroic combat as your followers fight at your six, or switch to tactical view to coordinate lethal offensives using the combined might of your company. View the tangible results of yourChoose and spearhead a team of characters into rough battles against a variety of enemies – from earth-shaking High Dragons to demonic forces from the otherworld of the Fade. Go mano y mano in visceral, heroic combat as your followers fight at your six, or switch to tactical view to coordinate lethal offensives using the combined might of your company. View the tangible results of your path through a living world – construct structures, customize outposts, and change the landscape itself as environments are re-shaped in the wake of your Inquisition. Lead a company selected from nine unique, fully-realized characters – each of whom react to your actions and choices differently, forming complex relationships both with you and with each other. Hone your own character from multiple races, customize their appearance, and select their powers and abilities as the game progresses. Extensive customization options allow you to choose everything from the color of your follower’s boots to the features of your Inquisition stronghold. Become an agent of change in a time of uncertainty and upheaval. Shape the course of empires, bring war or peace to factions in conflict, and drive the ultimate fate of the Inquisition. Will you stop the cataclysmic anarchy gripping the Dragon Age? [Electronic Arts] Expand
  64. Aug 26, 2015
    I absolutely love this game. I don't remember the last RPG that I beat and then instantly made a new character and started again. I'm currently in an attempt to get 100% complete and I wonder if that will ever happen.

My only issues with the game would be: The game has some issues like a certain mage build being unbeatable as well as accidentally walking into parts of the map where my character is clearly not good enough to be there and the other being how mountainous the terrain is and constantly being frustrated by my lack of ability to walk places and the CPU AI can be very stupid at times.

Those four issues are the only problems I've had with the game, and none of those are game breaking in the slightest. I got sucked in, even with the semi-predictable story. Some parts of the game are better than others, but I l;oved this game and will be playing it for years.
  65. Nov 20, 2015
    If you love RPG's or fantasy this is the game for you. Despite not playing the other games in the franchise, I immediately got hooked and fascinated with the world characters and story. My only downside is since you need power points to start story missions or any other new location you want to visit, side quests become a burden that's blocking you from what you really want to do so thatIf you love RPG's or fantasy this is the game for you. Despite not playing the other games in the franchise, I immediately got hooked and fascinated with the world characters and story. My only downside is since you need power points to start story missions or any other new location you want to visit, side quests become a burden that's blocking you from what you really want to do so that you'll be able to do said thing. But don't get me wrong; The side quests and loyal missions are great and feel important. The game has so much replay value! Not just making different choices and character playing in another style (Warrior mage or rouge), but also playing as a different specie makes a difference in the story. Amazing musical score as well. The best of 2014. Expand
  66. Nov 21, 2015
    Beautiful world, interesting characters, great details, good adventures. However, bad game design and mechanics, why keep pressing the button to find item every step I go? Story is so poor, and doesn't make sense. Crafting and micro manage each team member is a put off. Not fun and not enjoyable after a while of playing.
  67. Feb 15, 2015
    Hands down, best game ever. The writing is great - high emotional impact on the midgame transition, and the ending/cliffhanger is phenomenal. I can't wait for the next game in the series - 130h of awesome storytelling, great graphics and music, so less than 50c per hour of entertainment. Thank you to the team, this was unbelievably worthwhile!
  68. Apr 23, 2015
    This game has some major good points, but also a few nasty bits:-
    Good
    The size of the game is amazing, with so much choice about where to go and what missions to work on, that you can get a little lost, which is not a bad thing. And the landscapes are beautiful. The Teams you get and pick are great too, not as interesting as previous Dragon age, but they hold their own. Lots of skills
    This game has some major good points, but also a few nasty bits:-
    Good
    Lots of skills to play with.
    Combat can be as easy or hard as you want. If you play a really tactical game, and take the right skills, you can down a boss in a matter of seconds. or you can let the AI take over and fight it out in an old fashioned kind of way. It's your call.
    Loads of story and lore if you are a fan of that kind of thing
    Bad
    If you like good stories then you really need ti understand about previous DA games. I've played them all, but even I had trouble remembering some of the details. However, in order to understand the stories, you need to know about things like Grey Wardens etc as this game does not explain them to a newcomer.

Customization - Physical -I'm no artist, and no matter how long I spent in the character creation screen, I never managed to get a good looking character, and even the in game created characters aren't much better. Not a major issue, but with the amount of cut scenes in game, it would be nice to know my char didn't look like they were in the middle of a sex change operation, or had been in a horrific car accident. Romance is quite a big thing in this, and the only one I even came close to fancying was Leilana, and you can't romance her. Again a minor issue, but as romance is always part of DA, it would be nice to have pretty people doing it. Remember Morrigan :)

No customization of stats. I can choose the abilities I have but STR, DEX, etc are all decided by the game.

Landscapes - My biggest issue with this game! BW have made the game so rich in environments that you need a ping to highlight where loot/interactables are. This is a v good thing. For most missions, you are also told where to go so you don't need to be aimlessly wondering around, but the issue is even though I know where I need to go, BW have made getting to said places so unnecessarily difficult that it drives me mad. Ledges that look like you should be able to get up them but can't, long convoluted routes to something that is only a few feet away, in some case you have to go round a ridge and just keep jumping up until you finally find the ledge that looks no different from any other but BW have decided you can climb this one. It's incredibly tedious.
    This is a huge game with loads to do, so we don't need annoying time sinks like this, just let the size of the game speak for itself!
  69. May 22, 2016
    Good game but i do have mixed feeling about this one. The game becomes repetitive after a while and not a lot of story choices doesn't seems to have a lot of impact like it was in DA1.
  70. Mar 13, 2015
    This game is good, but its not great. This is the first Dragon Age game ive played so didn't know what to expect.

Pro's - Huge open world to explore. Tonnes of side quests. Ability to make choices to effect the outcome of the game. Excellent story line. Solid, relevant characters. Good rank up system. Con's - Graphics for me are really poor, more like PS3 than next gen. Battle

Pro's - Huge open world to explore.
    Tonnes of side quests.
    Ability to make choices to effect the outcome of the game.
    Excellent story line.
    Solid, relevant characters.
    Good rank up system.

Con's - Graphics for me are really poor, more like PS3 than next gen.
    Battle is really basic, just smash R2 over and over, not much skill involved.
    Quests get very repetitive and predictable.
    Glitchy as hell!
    To much dialogue, you spend too much time just listening to people talk nonsense.
    The story line is good, but very confusing

Overall it is a solid game but for me, Skyrim slam dunk's this game blindfolded and wasted. Uninspired graphics and heavy game play. Worth a buy but not worth raving about. 6/10
  71. Jul 29, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioware rightfully made the best fantasy game only beat by Skyrim. The real draw of this game is Character customization, choices, and discovery. I always love creating a female character and this game doesn't disappoint in that respect unlike Fallout 4 for example. Inquisition still has the best dialogue system and the most decisions out of modern games. So the only competition in that respect is between well, previous Bioware titles and Telltale Games. However, most choices don't have a big enough impact. No matter who you choose, Templars or Mages, you'll still have to defend Haven from the forgettable villain. I understand that part is critical to the story but Bioware has given much more weight to choices in the Mass Effect series
    . But Skyhold really is a big improvement over the Normandy. The world is plenty big and the highlights visually are the houses in the Emerald Graves, the Eleven temple in the end, and the sand dunes of the Western Approach(beat Elder Scrolls to the punch). Due to the leveling and weapon damage system, enemies had to have large health bars to make the former mechanics work. There is no point in getting a better weapon if the Red Templars succumb to one or two hits. This makes encounters long and less fun. Dragons take so long to kill.
    Only at the end does the story get intriguing. This is mostly thanks to Morigan(who I kept thinking was the villain due to the reveal trailer) and the Elvin lore.Since that I was eager to make progress in the game, I skipped most of the cutscenes, dialogue, and books;something I usually don't do.It ended up cutting my playthrough in half(about 50 hours instead of the average 100+)
    In a world where Gods and magic exist, religion stills gets thing wrong. Something I only realized towards the end. Not that they were morally wrong(the chantry is clearly the old christian church and a lot of it draws inspiration from the real world) but that it's not certain who these gods were as Mythal turns out not to be an Elvin god but Morigan's Immortal human mother. And there isn't proof of the maker or the Old Gods existence. The only interesting part of Coryriphius (spelled wrong) was when he mentions that the thrones in the heavens were empty. That mystery definitely will be explained in future games.
    The end seems to point towards a Grey Warden civil war being a plot point for DAV. It really sucks that EA most likely took the real ending and released it as the Trespasser DLC only for current-gen. That will probably stop me from playing it as I played it on the 360 and will likely get a PS4.
    So the near future for Bioware is Andromeda. Something that is taking far too long to make. Is it going through development hell? Almost. Bioware is trying to make a far more ambitious game than Mass Effect 3. But here's the problem. This is in terms of content, not substance. Clearly the scale of this game is whats being built upon. And in my opinion thats a bad thing. Inquisition would have been significantly better in terms of story, pacing, and level design if Bioware didn't try to compete with the sheer size of Skyrim. Either way, I'm almost certain that Andromeda will be a great game:)
  72. Nov 21, 2015
    Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game-Play:The game-play in this game is awesome i can say that is the best game-play i the series the way you use your skills is so natural and fun .It has two types of game-play action and strategy mode witch you can change at any time of the game even in mid combat . All the classes are work great even if some classes are more powerful than others. Story:The
    Dragon Age: Inquisition

Story:The story is great but the ending may disappoint some in general it is still great with interesting characters from old games and some new characters it will take you about 35 to 40 hours to complete the story.

Graphics:The graphics are really good and the game looks beautiful.

Notes:I think that the game should have more weapons for every class.This game is a masterpiece and deserves the to buy at full price.
  73. Jan 1, 2016
    Hmm... User score seems a bit low.
    I enjoyed this game immensely, and maybe it's because I didn't play the previous titles that I don't know what I'm missing. The world was open, and it was big, and it looks amazing. Loved slaying dragons, and enjoyed the quests that you can do on the main map.
    Hmm... User score seems a bit low.

Final boss was anti-climactic and way too easy to beat. Have no issues with this title winning the GOTY.
  74. Aug 2, 2017
    I love the series however, the game stoped working after several weeks of play on my PS3 and wouldn't load. I contacted electronic arts and ps store who told me I couldn't have a refund even though the game doesn't work. What a rip off! No time for this. I also have a ps4 and could have played it on there but if course you have to buy the game a second time to do this. Another rip off.I love the series however, the game stoped working after several weeks of play on my PS3 and wouldn't load. I contacted electronic arts and ps store who told me I couldn't have a refund even though the game doesn't work. What a rip off! No time for this. I also have a ps4 and could have played it on there but if course you have to buy the game a second time to do this. Another rip off. Customer relations very poor. Wouldn't recommend. Buy a game that works instead. Expand
  75. May 26, 2015
    It almost pains me to say it, but I had fun with this game. It's by no means a return to form from the studio unfortunately responsible for DA2 and ME3, but it's an entertaining jaunt into a world that takes itself only a little bit too seriously.

+ some characters come together spectacularly in a beautiful combination of backstory, quality writing, voice acting and personal strength and weakness
    ~ ...others don't
    - ...and some are blatant sociopolitical pandering

+ vibrant, interesting environments that are fun to explore
    ~ but sparsely populated
    - and filled with junk quests and MMO-style 'collect 10 bear asses and some leaves'

+ levelling is rewarding; skills feel like they do something and characters feel more powerful for having them

+ crafting system is useful and provides regular upgrades
    ~ but huge swathes of gear look identical,
    - are visually jarring and do not 'fit' with the game's wider aesthetic

+ landscapes are beautiful from a distance
    - but fall apart under scrutiny and lack attention to detail

- character animations are utter garbage

~ character designs are wildly variable, from 'actual living sentient creature' to 'hideous abomination' - which would be fine, but the way the game treats these characters makes you think it's not at all intentional

~ live combat works fine but is uninspired and not very fluid
    - whereas tactical combat is a big step down from Origins

- custom tactical patterns for party members are very limited

~ host of easily exploitable bugs
    - accompanied by an equal number of entirely bizarre, immersion-shattering ones

- main story is dull, and while fun to play through is not at all engaging

- generic LOLSOEVIL villain that it's very difficult to care about

- dialogue is stiff and doesn't feel 'real'

- typical awkward new-Bioware sex scenes

+ long enough that you won't feel hard done by at the end
    ~ but some sections drag on tirelessly, especially early on

Bit of casual fun as long as you don't expect too much from it. Worth picking up if you can find it in a bargain bin somewhere - pretty sure I saw it for £22 in Tesco recently.

I should point out that I avoided reviewing DA:I on release because I was butthurt over it not being a worthy successor to Origins and Mass Effect, but I've calmed down a bit now and have no problem giving it a 6.
  76. Feb 10, 2015
    very good game . massive, but too repetitive , loved the first 11 hours, then everything got mundane and pretty samey. pity. fun turned into obligation
  77. Feb 10, 2015
    Basically This game is brilliant everything you want in a Dragon Age game There are a large variety of abilities and Spells But To many damn Fetch quests.
  78. Apr 1, 2015
    Depth of character and gameplay make Dragon Age: Inquisition an unforgettable experience. Bioware once again craft an engaging story with excellent choices that truly make you think. The world itself is expansive, beautiful and filled with a great range of enemies that effectively test your tactical ability. Undoubtedly the best gaming experience of 2014.
  79. DDP
    Oct 23, 2015
    Great game, great story and a wonderful game play. This game is a must have for all the fan of the saga, and for people who love fantasy. The first 2 dlcs do not add much to the game (The descent and Jaws of Hakkon) apart few more hours of game play but "trespasser" is the DLC to have, it is amazing and beautifully done, with more hours to play and story ending content. Thumbs up!
  80. Aug 15, 2015
    Graphic 9
    Sound 8.5
    Gameplay 9
    Total 9
    This is the best of Dragon Age series........................................... The longer journey, the better.
  81. Jul 26, 2015
    To me personally, Bioware isn't quite as good at making a long lasting story that sticks with the viewer. Yes I still enjoy their games for what they are and not saying the games super bad or anything. Though, sorry the story is very quick and bland really. The open world is a change, a small one though since it's what every other game is basically trying to do or has done. Though, for DAITo me personally, Bioware isn't quite as good at making a long lasting story that sticks with the viewer. Yes I still enjoy their games for what they are and not saying the games super bad or anything. Though, sorry the story is very quick and bland really. The open world is a change, a small one though since it's what every other game is basically trying to do or has done. Though, for DAI I find it really didn't do anything for the story as a whole. If you play just the main story the game will last maybe six hours if that, however if you enjoy the repeated side quests that the open world gives then sure you'll have days if not more of extra crap to do. Sorry for me it just doesn't stick. The companions even, except for a few are just remade older characters. I only found a few that actually stood out. It feels more like an MMO rather than an RPG. Sure you get very nice weapon customization, however the class customization is not as good at all. Hell they even took out most of the good classes that most fans enjoyed in the prior games. There is no more blood mage, for example. They condenced and tried to mix the trees into new warpped crappier versions. Thus all and all, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the game as a whole, fun one time playthrough, but nothing I'd play more than once. Expand
  82. Nov 24, 2015
    First, the story is just great, the voice acting is great and the charters are brilliant. I rarely spent more than 150 hours of time in the game, but this game was so much to explore, different challenges and i was able to develop friendships and romances. The environment was very nicely done and I was really surprised that this game was this good. (I've never previously played Dragon Age,First, the story is just great, the voice acting is great and the charters are brilliant. I rarely spent more than 150 hours of time in the game, but this game was so much to explore, different challenges and i was able to develop friendships and romances. The environment was very nicely done and I was really surprised that this game was this good. (I've never previously played Dragon Age, but I had read the story) Expand
  83. Nov 16, 2015
    Dragon Age Inquisition is the first Dragon Age game I've played and I have to say I was very impressed. The game has a good combat system that provides action whilst also allowing tactical combat if that is your preferred route. The main plot is good, but not amazing, however what I really liked was the way in which the game allows you to shape the world around you by the decisions youDragon Age Inquisition is the first Dragon Age game I've played and I have to say I was very impressed. The game has a good combat system that provides action whilst also allowing tactical combat if that is your preferred route. The main plot is good, but not amazing, however what I really liked was the way in which the game allows you to shape the world around you by the decisions you make and the alliances you build. The main area in which DA Inquisition shines though is in the shed load of side missions and extra content that the game has to offer. I am at +100 hours and there is still loads to do - so definitely well worth buying! Expand
  84. Dec 2, 2015
    Short and sweet - one of my most favorite games ever.
    The score of 9 takes all the expansions and patches into account that round up most of the tiny things that bugged me at the beginning.
    Also - this is a very personal view of a game as it takes into account what I love about role play games - and this really hits my taste. The Highlights of this game are in my opinion: +++ The
    Short and sweet - one of my most favorite games ever.
    The Highlights of this game are in my opinion:
    +++ The storytelling. I can't put enough plusses on that one. The cutscenes are just great, until now I wasn't even aware that computer games could express such a variety of expressions and emotions. Also the way the cameras are set during the cutscenes - like watching a movie, not at all like the static-expression-and-emotionless-statues you meet in Skyrim. The characters in DAI have a depth I have never encountered before. They are authentic, they have a personality and the game really makes you care about them, wanting to know more of their past, of their opinions and such. I have finished several playthroughs and each time there were new things to discover, new angles and perspectives from which the story could be seen. A character I loathed on my first playthrough really grew on me the second time as I overcame my opinion of her and actually started to learn more about her. This is just a great story, that draws you in, that captivates you and that actually has a lot of references to our modern day society. The game confronts you with religion in numerous ways, and no matter what your opinion is on that, the characters you meet will make you start to think. The parallels to the catholic church are there, and they are displayed in a well differentiated fashion. I am not a religious person, yet some talks with Mother Giselle, Cassandra or Leliana really made me question my so far rather negative view of the church. And this is just an example of how this story creates parallels to real issues without judging, but showing many perspectives on the topic and leaving it up to the player to make up his opinion. There simply is a depth and subtext to this game that goes beyond what one might expect from a video game. That's why I like this game so much. Not sooo much for the gameplay, but for the way it is an interactive story telling medium between a good novel and a good movie.
    ++ The setting: I just love the way you build up your inquisition and get the feel of ruling a powerful organization
    +++ have ot mention them again: your party members - just a bunch of great non-cliche party members. From the eloquent front warrior to the witty and overconfident and gay wizard to the mysterious elf - they are all well written characters.

As I said - this is my personal view, others value a well balanced gameplay above a good story and will therefore give a different score. Speaking of the gameplay, lets get to some negative points:

- the gameplay: Dragon Age Origins (not Inquisition) started out as a somewhat modern adaption of the famous baldurs gate that was known for its tactical depth. Dragon Age Inquisition has left that noble path behind and leaves me missing the tactical depth as it has more of an mediocre action oriented gameplay.
    - the inventory: is a mess." I wanna switch my armor. now I have to run to the smith, dismantle the shoes and gauntlets from my armor and put them to the new one, so I can wear it." - In other game switching equipment is just the matter of pressing a button in DAI you have fiddle through a hundred menus to get it done. Dealing with my inventory is no fun at all.
    - Elves look like starved, sick people you usually only see on their deathbeds, only bones and skin. I know this a harsh critic , but whenever I tried to start out as an elf and saw my inquisitor wearing robes or the (horrible) stronghold pyjama I got that image of a starved out sick person in my mind and couldn't play any more. Maybe its just me, and I know elves have to be somewhat slim, but I couldn't stand to look at an elven male inquisitor... sorry.
    - the big areas - yes they are seen as a big asset to the game, but really they aren't necessary for that great story they are telling, they are rather hindering. This would have been a great game, even with smaller areas.
    - side quests are pathetic - while the main story and the character quests are great, the side quests are useless. "I am the mighty inquisitor, but unless I go out and collect 150 daisy flowers, three pickles and two dozen pebbles the inquisition will fall to ruin because among my entire army there is no one who could do that except me...." less, but more meaningfull sidequests would have been the wiser choice.
    - the assortment of enemies is very small. There could have been more types of demons and stuff

I know I stated a lot of negative points, but none of those can dampen my enthusiasm when I think of the great story this game can tell. No game is perfect, neither is this one, but for someone who loves a well written and well displayed story this is the game you wanna get
  85. Jan 11, 2016
    This game for me is more of a 9.5 but I rounded it up. I loved the story, character interaction and the gameplay, graphics were good. The game was really addictive and immersive, I played as a rift mage which is supposed to be the most fun idk if other classes made the game more boring for others but my experience with this game was extremely fun. I usually like medieval rpgs and this wasThis game for me is more of a 9.5 but I rounded it up. I loved the story, character interaction and the gameplay, graphics were good. The game was really addictive and immersive, I played as a rift mage which is supposed to be the most fun idk if other classes made the game more boring for others but my experience with this game was extremely fun. I usually like medieval rpgs and this was no exception, I liked this game more than past dragon age games altho they were really good too, even liked it more than skyrim or Diablo 3, I heard this game is a completionist nightmare full off simple and boring fetch quests, but considering I am not a completionist, I just did the quests that seemed interesting to me and ignored what sounded boring, also read about all the complains on glitches, most of those are patched by now, the game played swiftly for me, no bugs, rarely any lag, this game was overall about 60 hours of fun for me, and I am considering a second playthrough which is extremely rare for me, I usually just finish a game and trade it or sell it. Expand
  86. Nov 30, 2015
    Inquisition is the pinnacle of the Dragon Age series, and the legit heir of the old Infinity engine games, such as Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. Inquisition´s greatness stands on three pillars:

1) Lore and script. With high production values, full voice acting and brilliant animation, this is still a game where you can clock in a good amount of hours reading the entire Codex. The lore is very detailed and imaginative because it spins things around a bit regarding the traditional roles in fantasy. For newcomers it's easy to get into the story and memorize who's who given the parallels with real world institutions (god and church, nations, power groups, etc).
    Also the decisions you're asked to make as the Inquisitor influence the story in meaningful ways. Combine that with the fact you can choose from 12 different companions, and you have more than enough content to grant a second and maybe third play-through. Bioware at its best.

2) Combat. You can approach combat in much the same way you'd do in one of those old school RPGs: pause and micro-manage your team. But this is 2014, so you can also program your team's AI with confidence and control just a single character, or switch between them, in real time. The higher the difficulty level, the more management it requires to be successful. It is possible to vanquish foes of a higher level than your own with careful planing, positioning and use of inter-class ability combos. While paused you can move the camera freely around the scene, most of the times just admiring the poses of your characters and the flashy details of spells. Pure porn. Overall combat feels very satisfying. I just wish there was an accessible text log to review the encounters.

3) Loot. Inquisition is actually a drug dealer in disguise. It knows loot is an addiction. It's the shady bloke in overcoat calling you from the street corner. "Hey friend, wanna try some loot?" Of course you do.
    And not only equipment loot. Picking those flowers and rocks will help you craft powerful stuff and improve your gear in meaningful ways. There's a very strong MMO scent in the air here. And you'll love that scent, you'll snort that **** and revel in it. At times I found that even mission structure reminded me of traditional MMO quests. Go find this guy, now pick 5 of those items, then bait the dragon... here, have some loot!

I spent over a hundred and twenty hours with the third edition of Dragon Age. Not once during that time did I get bored or tired. I'm an old guy, so very few games can actually grab me by the balls while respecting the time I invest in them. Definitely my GOTY for 2014.
  87. Dec 26, 2015
  88. Apr 2, 2017
    DA: Inquisition will always have a special place in my heart as it was the first game I played on my brand-spanking-new PS4 at that time. Coming from XBOX 360, DA:I was my introduction to what next-gen graphics were like and what an introduction it was! There were moments in the game in which I could just stop and lose myself in the scenery. I loved everything about the game - theDA: Inquisition will always have a special place in my heart as it was the first game I played on my brand-spanking-new PS4 at that time. Coming from XBOX 360, DA:I was my introduction to what next-gen graphics were like and what an introduction it was! There were moments in the game in which I could just stop and lose myself in the scenery. I loved everything about the game - the locations, the quest system, the characters. Sure, there were flaws but when I could not put down the controller in the 120 hours it took me to finish the game, that says something. One of the best RPGs I have ever played. Expand
  89. Aug 2, 2016
    Vast world, great combat mechanics, and great character. Main mission is a bit short but the side missions are abundant and fun. However, this game doesn't intrigue me as much as Skyrim or Witcher. The reason lies in the kind of boring combat system and not-so-fun world roaming.
  90. Sep 15, 2016
    I really didn't see much of what people said about this game... The graphics are good and the soundtrack is good too, and the lore is GREAT! But i think it wasn't very well implemented, the game is incredibly repetitive, getting really boring after 4+ hours, with a handful of good skills and powers, a lot of side-quests, but almost all of them with no depth at all (kill 10 sheep... great,I really didn't see much of what people said about this game... The graphics are good and the soundtrack is good too, and the lore is GREAT! But i think it wasn't very well implemented, the game is incredibly repetitive, getting really boring after 4+ hours, with a handful of good skills and powers, a lot of side-quests, but almost all of them with no depth at all (kill 10 sheep... great, now... kill 10 wolves... nice, now, kill 10 [x]), the horse physics is painful. Besides all of that, the "freedom" of the game is just bad, getting a lot of players lost in the first couple of hours after the introduction!
    But... a LOT of people also liked it, maybe you will too, who knows right? Even though i like RPGs, i guess DA isn't my style, but, if you liked the style, or played others ones and liked it, give it a try! The lore is amazing on this one!
  91. Feb 15, 2017
    Lack of world building and awkward combat make this game average, but you can't deny the fun there is to have with it's colorful cast of characters .
  92. Mar 23, 2017
    While not perfect, Bioware's first venture into the open-world genre is one that deserves praise.

Gorgeously rendered environments are offset by a flashy and dynamic combat system. The voiced dialogue is at times witty, others endearing, and always worth lending your ear. This plot is not perfectly written. The antagonist of this tale is admittedly a bit too cliche. He fails to

This plot is not perfectly written.
    The antagonist of this tale is admittedly a bit too cliche. He fails to impress as a villain worth fighting.

Nevertheless, fans of impressively designed RPGs (and of Dragon Age, in particular) would not be disappointed to invest their time in this lengthy and ultimately worthwhile adventure.
  93. Mar 19, 2017
    People are real quick to forget this was game of the year for 2014. Rightfully so. Was 2014 a "weak" year? Maybe. What game was better? Shadow of Mordor? Really don't think so. Anyone who rates the game lower than an 8 are sour grapes.
  94. Mar 28, 2017
    This game encompasses all that an RPG should. First, there are a lot of options available for character design. You can choose between the different classes of characters and then adjust their face and hair, etc to exactly how you'd like it. Second, this game is about choice and you get to make a lot of choices. Role playing as The Inquisitor you can decide how many of the side quests toThis game encompasses all that an RPG should. First, there are a lot of options available for character design. You can choose between the different classes of characters and then adjust their face and hair, etc to exactly how you'd like it. Second, this game is about choice and you get to make a lot of choices. Role playing as The Inquisitor you can decide how many of the side quests to do, which NPCs you want to go deeper into their stories, etc. You don't have to do every side quest. You don't have to get to know every NPC, including the major ones. You get to pick. After 4 playing through 4 times I knew which NPCs I enjoyed and which ones I didn't care to follow. Not only that but in cases like Liliana, you get to help her find herself again(if you pick the right choices).

So this game is for people who like to immerse themselves in a different world, for people who enjoy reading codex and getting to know NPCs. I cannot say enough good things about this game. It has high replay value. The combat is fun but also easy on Normal so if you want a challenge I'd start with a higher difficulty.

If you enjoy role-playing and immersing yourself in a fantasy world you will love this game.
  95. Mar 30, 2017
    This game... it fells that something is missing for an rpg. The gameplay is not the best one, but is acceptable. The story is good but with some argumental problems. Graphics are meh. But approved
  96. Jan 14, 2015
    Full disclosure: This review is being written after completing the game. I beat the game at the 72 hour mark after doing a healthy mix of storyline quests and side missions. It is my first Dragon Age game.

After reading official reviews on this game, and seeing multiple articles mentioning it as a GOTY contender I decided it was definitely worth playing. I hadn't played a fantasy RPG of this scale before, the closest to it was probably Oblivion years ago on the PC, so it seemed like it would be a fresh experience that I would enjoy investing a lot of time in to.

The short of it: I enjoyed playing DA:I, but found many elements of the game weighing down on the overall experience. Bioware made a huge game, which they may have tried to throw everything and the kitchen sink in to; much of the game comes across as uninspiring, repetitive, and clunky after the time it takes to complete an average play through. After the 40 hour mark, I began feeling like the game had lasted long enough and that I just wanted it to end. There was still so much I could do, but it just didn't seem like it was really worth it.

I'm left thinking, had Bioware cut down on a lot of the filler then they may have had more time to commit towards building a more engaging/fun experience (with less bugs!)

7/10 - unlikely to revisit this franchise.
  97. Jan 14, 2015
    I'm fashionably late to this discussion seeing as how I didn't get the game until Christmas and didn't have the opportunity to play it until after my birthday two weeks later. At time of typing, I have completed every trophy in the game (sans the Nightmare mode [and, by proxy, the Platinum] one; the Persuasive one is bugged although I have 15 agents) and have collected every mosaic,I'm fashionably late to this discussion seeing as how I didn't get the game until Christmas and didn't have the opportunity to play it until after my birthday two weeks later. At time of typing, I have completed every trophy in the game (sans the Nightmare mode [and, by proxy, the Platinum] one; the Persuasive one is bugged although I have 15 agents) and have collected every mosaic, bottle, landmark, blah blah blah. I was at 104 hours when I finished so I really don't get why people are saying they have 150+ hours and still aren't done.

I digress. I have several legitimate concerns about the way DA: I padded out content. I see a lot of people saying "if you don't like it, don't do it!" but the problem with that argument is the fact that the fluff-to-content ratio is extremely lopsided. When I completed the game, I still had 273 Power left and nothing to use it on. That right there tells you there is an EXCESSIVE amount of fluff that does little towards the progression of the game's story itself. Likewise, since the game opens up many of the areas early on - right after Skyhold, really - it's possible to go through and hit a wall with character progression within the first 30-ish hours of the game. By the time I went to the third major story mission (Halamshiral), I was wearing the very gear I would be wearing for the remaining 50+ hours of gameplay. This progression ceiling does not only apply to the story progression but also to the fluff as well. When I finished collecting all the shards and opened the final door in the Oasis, I was rewarded with gear that was markedly inferior to the stuff I had crafted or found 10+ hours prior. This doesn't even touch on how poor the context is behind most of these side missions. Most of it boils down to: Go do this because Inquisition.

The War Table is a great example of poor design and fluff in action. Multiple 5+ hour missions that grant minimal reward. Even some 12+ hour missions! Here's a practical example: I sent Josephine off on a 15 hour mission of negotiations in northwestern Ferelden. The next day when it was complete, I got a four line paragraph explaining what happened, a whopping 106 gold and an Amulet of Power. Woooooooo. Likewise, the War Table is a poor substitute for materials gathering. If I send Cullen out to gather minerals, it takes him 15-ish minutes (give or take, depending on agents) to come back with 6-8 minerals. When I gather minerals from a node, I gather anywhere from 1-4 per click and there are almost always 2-3 nodes in close proximity. In the same 15 minutes, I can easily gather three times as much. Plus, you cannot send all three of your people to gather from the same resource or region, thus making gathering via your War Council an even bigger slog than doing it yourself.

I found a lot of the character development quest lines and conversation trees banal and paper-thin, not anywhere close to the same level of character development found in other Bioware titles. The Cassandra/Varric character development seemed to the most well fleshed out while Iron Bull and Sera were the most entertaining to keep in the party for random banter. But, by the end, I felt no real attachment to any except the ones who started the quest with me (notably Cassandra and Varric) and doing the ally quests wasn't all that satisfying. If anything, it felt like an obligatory BioWare staple of throwing a whole bunch of allies at the player just because they could. Assuming the full party is acquired, did the player really need 3 warriors, 3 rogues, and 3 mages, in addition to whatever class the player character is?

The main story arc was decent enough, if not slightly generic, and at least it kept me invested. In looking back, I could have finished the game around 30-40 hours and felt satisfied, perhaps even moreso.

Beyond the fluff issue, gameplay is often clunky, especially if you play melee classes on harder difficulty level, and the game pushes the player into FAR TOO MANY menu screens for inventory and character management.

I don't regret purchasing or playing the game and I gladly give it a 3 out of 5 (6/10) overall but I see little compelling reason to play it again. The characters hold little interest and the outcome will be mostly the same (only very small changes in the ending slide show) regardless of choices made.
  98. Feb 1, 2015
    When I started playing the game, I already felt cheated, all my choices and paths I took while playing both Dragon Age origins and Dragon Age 2 had to be remade using Dragon Age Keep. I thought it was a real sloppy move from Bioware, which had previously done something like the Mass Effect series, without messing with the saving progression of the story. not to mention that by using theWhen I started playing the game, I already felt cheated, all my choices and paths I took while playing both Dragon Age origins and Dragon Age 2 had to be remade using Dragon Age Keep. I thought it was a real sloppy move from Bioware, which had previously done something like the Mass Effect series, without messing with the saving progression of the story. not to mention that by using the name "Inquisition", Bioware has raised higher expectations of its game, for the possibilities were many. However the game does not add anything new, it is more of the same. Not much in terms of originality.

DA Inquisition is a game that has beautiful graphics, but its gameplay is awful. The AI acts strange, ignoring commands, moving when it is not supposed to and remaining still while being attacked. The 2 other games in the series had active battle which actually worked, which were much better implemented, and while the idea of a tactical camera is very good, in practice it is very awkward, because many times micromanaging is affected by the AI's inability to respond.

In terms of story, if the game were a spin-off it would have been masterful, however it feels completely disconnected of the other 2 games, with things being "reintroduced" without any connection, as if to say "Hey, you are continuing a story!". Tthere are so many side quests, that sometimes it feels as if you're both the life-saver and the errand boy of Thedas. Not much fun in gathering herbs or finding livestock lost in the mountains. The game lacks for its excess. Some quests fell completely unrelated to the story, and they start to get boring very early in the game.

Romancing was another big disappointment, considering previous games in the series, in which you could choose from psychologically different characters. the options in DA Inquisition are the least interesting in the whole series, at least for a straight male character. The most interesting characters to romance are unavailable, and that is another frustration. Just to compare, Mass Effect 1 had 2 options (for straight males), ME 2 had 4 and ME 3 had several, though not completely "romanceable". They were last generation games, DVD format.

In terms of challenge, the game itself is not difficult, but the stupidity with which the AI acts makes it much harder indeed. Even by disabling AI I still couldn't make a character stay still, and that resulted in dozens of deaths.

in relation to perks and skills, the game oversimplified the skill/perk tree, and removed the option to have a healer in your party. First RPG I ever played to do that, and I had to use potions throughout my game. Very frustrating, and again I felt cheated. The combat skills are somehow linked with DA 2 skills, though there is a lack of variation within classes. All characters within a same category feel exactly like the others. A rogue is a rogue, and a fighter is a fighter. No point in choosing, kept the same formation all the time.

While the item gathering has been increased, again it feels poorly implemented, and the inventory is so confusing that it took 20 minutes every time I wanted to rearrange/change equipment. Not to mention the similarity with Skyrim, mining for metals and crafting armor, though again without meaning or depth. the option to reset a character's skills seems valid after you reach a certain point in the game, but having that from the beginning only supports the idea of not needing to change party members. Only skills.

In a nutshell, everything in the game is massive, but shallow at the same time. It is like a restaurant which sells burgers, pizza, chinese, pasta, steaks and sushi, though none with excellence. Developers should have focused on what had previously worked, improved what needed to improve, and add SOME features, not making this attempt to include everything that was ever used before.
  99. Dec 30, 2014
    Great Graphics and free roaming. Still seems a little to pre programmed in the overall story line while selling itself as every game unique. I did not find it that unique. Still a great game to play. Hours of fun.
  100. Jan 24, 2015
    A friend of mine wanted me to review this game on MC. To be honest I really didn't want to because I know a lot of people enjoy this game, but I sure do not. I do not like the combat, it's a button masher and I do not care for games like that.. Not to mention I find the characters boring and the writing is god awful. I do not like fetch quests either.. "Collect 5 of these and bring themA friend of mine wanted me to review this game on MC. To be honest I really didn't want to because I know a lot of people enjoy this game, but I sure do not. I do not like the combat, it's a button masher and I do not care for games like that.. Not to mention I find the characters boring and the writing is god awful. I do not like fetch quests either.. "Collect 5 of these and bring them back here" it's just not for me. I did like Dragon Age origins and I do find that this game is better than Dragon Age 2 but it's just not for me. I was expecting a lot more from this game. Expand

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Jan 13, 2015
    A flawed almost-classic. [Jan 2015, p.84]
  2. Games Master UK
    Dec 30, 2014
    Takes far too long to get going, but once it does you'll be hooked for the longest haul. [Jan 2015, p.64]
  3. Play UK
    Dec 18, 2014
    An exhaustive and impactful world let down by predictable aesthetics and combat. [Issue#251, p.70]