7.2

1. Apr 7, 2014
    This is another DW game and what else can be said you like it or hate it and I happen to love the series and will do for as long as I can see it is a great time filler for waiting for anouther game you are looking forward to as well
  2. Mar 25, 2014
    It's Dynasty Warriors. I love the series, but if you hate the dynasty warriors formula, you will not like this game. It really is just as simple as that.
  3. Aug 1, 2014
    Fantastic game. The graphics are immense for a Dynasty Warriors game. Gameplay is surprisingly refreshing and fun to play at all times. Great entry in the series that shows just how good Dynasty Warriors games are.
  4. May 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Firstly, I'd like to begin by saying that I am a huge fan of this game series and so this may be a little too kind on the game but for me it thoroughly deserves a 10.

For me one of the most gripping things about the game is the characters. Each character has a completely different persona and despite there being 82 characters now, there is still a stage which involves every character to allow their personality come through.

I have played all of the main Dynasty Warriors games but this was my first extreme legends game and I have to say, I certainly won't be my last. It's just Fantastic! I believe that there are 40 new stages plus a complete story mode for Lu Bu with both a historical and hypothetical ending. I won't give much away based on the story but it's basically amazing! Throughout Lu Bu's story, you can play as 5 characters; Lu Bu, Diao Chan, Zhang Liao, his strategist and new character Chen Gong and his daughter who is also a new character Lu Lingqi. The story is a great way of getting a better understanding of Lu Bu and why he is so dangerous and it also allows you to get to know the new characters.

For me Chen Gong is now my favourite character! (But I still love Jia Chong)!

The other three characters are good as well. For Shu, Fa Zheng is now a playable character. He describes himself as a deviant trickster and he isn't afraid of putting Liu Bei in harms way to succeed with his strategies. His weapon is a flying carpet so just think of Aladin. Wu now has Zhu Ran as a playable character. He is a young general who is driven by the idea of being able to set a fire. His weapon is a bow and it is quite hard to control at first but when you get the hang of it, it becomes quite effective. Wei now has Yu Jin as a playable character. He is a hardcore warrior who punishes all who disobey the law. His weapon is similar to the javelin but it has a three element rule which allows you to increase the power of his weapon.

It offers an extended ambition mode that I haven't started yet and Challenge Mode in addition to the story mode and free mode. The challenge mode has 5 challenges, from arena duels to staying on high platforms. All of which are enjoyable and if you top the pre-set chart for each challenge you get a trophy per challenge.

The graphics are good on the characters and the things in the centre of the screen however long distance sight can appear blurry. That is my only criticism of the game though.
  5. Apr 4, 2015
    Amazing game, I'm surprised the ratings aren't higher. Awesome story mode, free mode and ambition mode. Lots of unique characters to pick from, amazing!
  6. Mar 7, 2015
    The DW8:XLCE is the definitive Dynasty Warriors experience. It takes the strengths from previous Dynasty Warriors games and improves upon them. But, yes, it's still a Dynasty Warriors game. So be prepared for officers repeating the same lines and the incredibly cheesy cutscenes. But if you can get beyond that, there is plenty of fun to be had in this addictive hack-and-slash.

The

The shear amount of content in this game makes it an excellent value. Unlike some previous entries in the series, none of the 82 playable officers are clones of each other. They all have their own unique fighting styles, strengths, and weaknesses. And even though any officer can equip any weapon, the 2 EX combos gives the players enough incentive to use their own weapons and switch between 2 or more combos through the gameplay instead of spamming the same one over and over.

The graphics in Dynasty Warriors has never been anything to write home about, but the PS4 version does offer better textures, dynamic lighting, and depth of field. While I didn’t like the depth of field very much, the game gives you the option to soften the effect or disable it altogether.

But fans of the series will know that one of the most important topics in DW is the performance of the game. Does it slow down when there are many enemies on screen? What is the distance from which you can see enemy officers? Dynasty Warriors does fairly well on performance. There is absolutely no slowdown from amount of enemies and you can see them at a great distance away. However, I did notice the framerate drop some when caught in a fire attack. But thankfully, the game performs well and does not take away anything from the experience.

The amount of content in the game is absolutely astounding. Not only are there 82 unique characters, there are hundreds of different weapons, including 5-star and 6-star weapons which each have special requirements to acquire. Besides that regular story mode stages, there is also a hypothetical route and bonus stages to be unlocked. Ambition mode is also great way to play the game in a different way and allows players to unlock features such as weapon tampering. All in all, you will not run out of things to do.
  7. May 7, 2015
    I've been playing Dynasty Warriors since the beginning. It's the same formula; if you didn't like the game in past iterations, you won't now. However, if you liked the Musou genre and enjoy ancient Chinese history, this is one of the best games of the series and my favorite installment to date.

STORY: Gone are the days were you could play as characters for decades after their death. Stories follow the empire you're playing as, and give you a selection of a few characters for each map. Cutscenes continue to improve (You won't "Feel the power of my magic!" anymore) but can be a bit cheesy.

The best inclusion, I have to say, is Alternate History/Hypothetical Routes. Throughout the game, you can change history by saving certain generals and preventing devastating events, to unlock a "Best Case Scenario" for your empire. Wei decimating Shu/Wu at the Battle of Chi Bi? Guan Yu winning and surviving the Battle of Fan Castle? It's there, and leads to a relatively plausible and happy ending for your favorite empire.

You get your typical Shu, Wu, and Wei stories, in addition to the more recent (and historically accurate) Jin story. New to this edition of the game is the ability to play as Lu Bu's empire. While his story ends as sad and pathetic as it did historically, the new addition of Hypothetical Routes allows you to correct his bull-headedness, and let's just say the Hypothetical ending was very satisfying for being complete fiction.

VOICES: I have to point this out, because it was a peeve of mine in past games. Koei finally has their English VAs pronouncing things more correctly than ever before. "Tsao Tsao" instead of "Cow Cow" (Cao Cao), "Liew" instead of "Lou" (Liu), "Soon" instead of "Sun" (Sun)

GAMEPLAY: It's Musou. There is this mechanic of Rock-Paper-Scissors with elements on weapons when facing officers, as well as allowing characters to use any weapon they acquire with varying proficiencies. It helps to break up the monotony of murdering mindless masses. As far as the weapons go, the "loot" system is alright, occasionally awarding you with a unique version of a basic weapon, but once you unlock your Ultimate Weapon (and with XLCE, your Ultimate Ultimate Weapon) you'll never go back to them again. Finally, there are a few weapons with completely broken movesets; I found myself able to breeze through tough difficulties by making use of them. Don't do that if you want the game to have some challenge.

1. games(TM)
    Jun 3, 2014
    The jump to a new console hasn't done all that much for visuals in general, but the game is undoubtedly neater and smoother than it once was. [Issue#148, p.115]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK