6.6

1. Jun 16, 2014
    Very entertaining game with a subtle story. The visuals are amazing. The game play can be either relaxing (on the early "Lives" levels) or super hard on the later levels and challenge mode. Very happy I bought this after seeing it at E3.
  2. Jun 10, 2014
    Entwined is a game that is tiny and massive at the same time. Through its clever game design and subtle symbolism, this less than 2 hour journey will whisk gamers away into its story until the grand climax. Although the gameplay can be a bit difficult to control in the later segments of each level, that is a minute error in an overall stellar gaming experience.
  3. Jun 13, 2014
    Beautiful game that is both trance inducing and deceptively challenging. It's fun to play and easy to understand with a unique but never flushed out story backbone about a romeo and juliet love that isn't supposed to be. The ending of each level is a strange change of pace from the journey but has a lesser effect than intended. About 2 hours of main gameplay with extra modes greatlyBeautiful game that is both trance inducing and deceptively challenging. It's fun to play and easy to understand with a unique but never flushed out story backbone about a romeo and juliet love that isn't supposed to be. The ending of each level is a strange change of pace from the journey but has a lesser effect than intended. About 2 hours of main gameplay with extra modes greatly increasing the longevity if needed. A beautiful, fun game with great music and lack of any real story. Reminds me of fl0w or flower in the good and bad ways. If you enjoyed those, you'll enjoy this. Expand
  4. Jun 13, 2014
    Great little game.

Challenge Mode will is rather difficult and will keep you busy for far longer than the 1-2 hours some reviews cited. Some quick thoughts for updates and/or a sequel: The different free-flight areas the dragon is transferred to (as a "bonus") after finishing a story-level could do with some more space to explore and more diverse game-play (to establish an even
    Great little game.

Some quick thoughts for updates and/or a sequel:

The different free-flight areas the dragon is transferred to (as a "bonus") after finishing a story-level could do with some more space to explore and more diverse game-play (to establish an even better contrast and addition to the great, but linear main gameplay). Maybe design those areas as "hub worlds" that are interconnected by even more of those core game-play "tunnels". Add Journey-esque multiplayer on top of that and the sequel will be an absolute hit!

That being said, Entwined already in its current state is really pure and great in its own right.
  5. Jun 16, 2014
    It's sad that more people can't or don't appreciate a mesmerizing and beautiful game like this. Just because a game doesn't make a use for every button on the controller or over complicate a game shouldn't knock its score. I do my review on my YouTube channel under the same user name and even recorded with an HD PVR, and using expensive video editing software, the HD video review I madeIt's sad that more people can't or don't appreciate a mesmerizing and beautiful game like this. Just because a game doesn't make a use for every button on the controller or over complicate a game shouldn't knock its score. I do my review on my YouTube channel under the same user name and even recorded with an HD PVR, and using expensive video editing software, the HD video review I made doesn't even begin to give the sheer beauty of the game justice.

This is a game perfectly balancing your left and right hand to the patterns you behold on the screen. With all the vibrant colors and elegant patterns produced before you however, the magnificence of the art displayed before you in crisp smooth fashion can easily take you mind off of concentrating on what you are trying to do. It simply is that beautiful, and in my opinion, if the PS3 hit game flower was a beautiful horse, then Entwined is "The Black Stallion", an even more colorful, beautiful, and artistic masterpiece.

Is it a simple game? Yes. However that's the brilliance of the game. It's overly simple for anyone to pick up and enjoy as well as admire, even those non-gaming friends and family members, but it's difficult to master. It is like trying to perfectly do two different things with both sides of your brain, right and left, where you pat one head with your left hand and rub your belly with your right hand, and then on command, you switch... all while being distracted by a true work of magnificent art dancing gracefully in front of you.

The music in the game perfectly matches the pace and art of the game, smoothly taking you from a graceful slow dance to a emotional, fast and dramatic beat depending on where you are in the levels. Beating each increasingly difficult level rewards the player with seeing the two fish/birds that they were controlling mesh into a single flying dragons which can gracefully be flown to collect glowing gems in a big room and then draw a glowing track of lights with the flight of your dragon as if to set it's flight into a glowing piece of art for all to see.

For what it is, Entwined should be an award winning downloadable simple game that everyone can appreciate and enjoy. To compare this game and knock it points because it doesn't compete against a bigger, completely different game like Destiny is both unfair and foolish. It is a masterfully simple and beautiful game that does what it intended to do perfectly with a few single flaw which will likely be patched soon (I show this flaw in my video). I give this game a 9.5 out of 10 and rated it up based on the simplicity of its brilliance alone. A rare gem in an overly complicated gaming world that sadly many people can't stop and appreciate and will take for granted. It's much like someone ignoring a beautiful sunset right in front of them to text their 50th meaningless conversation of the day on their smart phone instead.
  6. Jul 9, 2015
    This is a game about a concept - a bird and a fish fall in love, and live parallel lives, never meeting. That's everything there is to it, though. You play nine near-identical levels with aimless 'reward' arenas for you to pootle about in, only for it to announce "Entwined!" and boot you to the credits.

It's a game that seems to value aesthetics above all, and yet it's not even a very pretty game when you get the chance to look close. It's repetitive and twitchy but in a strangely imprecise way, a way that doesn't make you feel like you're getting better at it. And when the final level is just a rehash of all the (incredibly modest) variations in previous levels it couldn't be more disappointing to finish.

I simply had no fun at all playing this. (i bought it when they did the surprise E3 release last year, but having it come out on PS+ reminded me to have a quick moan about it.)
  7. Jun 12, 2014
    At first sight mesmerized by the beautiful graphics and the abstract oriental art-style. Great game design fully utilizing PlayStation's two analog sticks, providing intuitive and immersive game-play. The dream-like game-play experience is like flying through wonderland, works better than a cup of coffee if you need some refreshment at school or at work! The concept "always together,At first sight mesmerized by the beautiful graphics and the abstract oriental art-style. Great game design fully utilizing PlayStation's two analog sticks, providing intuitive and immersive game-play. The dream-like game-play experience is like flying through wonderland, works better than a cup of coffee if you need some refreshment at school or at work! The concept "always together, forever apart" is also poetic. A must-try game! Expand
  8. Aug 22, 2014
    I just sat down and played this game from beginning to end in a few hours or maybe not even that, but even with that said I believe this game has enough emotion to impact someone on a different level. This may be their first game but from what I've seen...bravo.

In it's own way the game is beautiful. The visuals are gorgeous and although made on the Unity engine which is notorious for making some of the ugliest crap ever this came out a true pleasure to the eyes. Watching the different scenes, and different areas go by was a treat. Of course the visuals were beautiful but that's not where the game excels in.

The gameplay is pretty basic. You move your bird or as I called her...Bird with your right analog stick. Then you move your fish or as I like to call him...Fish with the left analog stick. You set them over their colored target and basically fly through said target. It's very basic but it ends up becoming very challenging a nice rhythm based game. Of course there isn't much to say about the gameplay. It's basic, it's addicting, it's fun, and it even has challenges in case you want to get more gameplay out of it. All in all it's fun, pure and simple fun. Not run around and shoot at things with your unkillable numbskull who has rechargeable health kind of fun. (Which by my standards isn't fun.) It's a more relaxing, more enjoyable fun, like Journey, or Flower. Still this isn't the best part of this game.

The real splendor of this game is the beautiful soundtrack. The sounds that came from out of my T.V. were almost tear jerking. The music is gorgeous, absolutely beautiful. I loved every track, and I would buy a soundtrack CD in a heartbeat. The music is the best part by far. From soft lullaby's to fast upbeat almost trancelike songs. I swear this game has some of the best music ever heard. Much like the mentioned before games Journey, and Flower this game is on par with them as far as beautiful tracks are concerned. I recommend this game for anyone who has emotions and isn't dead inside and likes to shoot at things all day.
  9. Jul 11, 2015
    Good game but completed the story on my first go in under an hour!!!! I'd be disappointed if I'd paid for it. Way to easy. Nice concept though. Ho hum
  10. Jun 13, 2014
    Pros:Entwined is a perfect example of the PlayStation initiative. While PlayStation provides great triple A experiences they also provide great small experiences like Entwined. This game provides great visuals, a beautiful art style, and an exceptional soundtrack. The game mechanics are simple but challenging at times. A challenge mode that is cool and somewhat entertaining at times. Cons:Pros:Entwined is a perfect example of the PlayStation initiative. While PlayStation provides great triple A experiences they also provide great small experiences like Entwined. This game provides great visuals, a beautiful art style, and an exceptional soundtrack. The game mechanics are simple but challenging at times. A challenge mode that is cool and somewhat entertaining at times. Cons: The game could be easily cheated by having a second person operate one of the joysticks, which is sad because it really takes away from the game. The experience is great but short, which is not necessarily a bad thing. But when i finished the game it left me wanting more from it which was not satisfied by the challenge mode.
    Final verdict: The game is a great experience for the price and i would recommend this to anyone looking for a cool and entertaining short game.
  11. Jul 2, 2014
    This game was announced AND released during E3, which is the kind of shot in the arm the convention needs, but I was sorely disappointed when I was actually suckered into buying this thing. There are good intentions behind this game. It's meant to be a brilliant love story between two creatures who can't be together, but you wouldn't know this if you didn't read the product description.This game was announced AND released during E3, which is the kind of shot in the arm the convention needs, but I was sorely disappointed when I was actually suckered into buying this thing. There are good intentions behind this game. It's meant to be a brilliant love story between two creatures who can't be together, but you wouldn't know this if you didn't read the product description. The gameplay, unfortunately, is the most disappointing part. The premise is clever enough: use the two thumbsticks to guide the creatures through linear checkpoints. It's an idea that gets old quickly, though. It might have been more enjoyable if the controls actually worked well. I streak after streak die when I drove a character through a checkpoint that never registered my existence. It's not the kind of rewarding challenge either. The challenge arrives because the game doesn't work the way it's supposed to. I would not recommend buying this title at all. Expand
  12. Jun 17, 2014
    I enjoyed this a lot more than I originally thought I would. The underlying story, if you can call it that, makes the atmosphere of the game very enjoyable. It can actually get really hard in the later level too.

Very cool indie game. Eurogamer, you are ridiculous with that review.
  13. Jun 13, 2014
    Yes, Entwined is a beautiful game with an exceptional graphic design and an excellent music themes. This game is a perfect challenge with a great controller system but is full of bugs from first to last chapter. Only a small update and the game will be perfect
  14. Jun 16, 2014
    This is another one of those pathetic attempts at turning video games into art. Entwined, much like Flower, Journey and Beyond: Two Souls, is not a game. Keep releasing crap like this and the industry will soon be destroyed. When developers are too lazy to create meaningful, worthy games and instead ride the "games are art" train, it's no wonder we no longer see amazing instant classicsThis is another one of those pathetic attempts at turning video games into art. Entwined, much like Flower, Journey and Beyond: Two Souls, is not a game. Keep releasing crap like this and the industry will soon be destroyed. When developers are too lazy to create meaningful, worthy games and instead ride the "games are art" train, it's no wonder we no longer see amazing instant classics like the days of the PS2. Expand
  15. Nov 28, 2015
    "Entwined" is kind of an interesting game to review. On one hand it is a fun and beautiful experience. On the other it's incredibly brief length and lack of variety make it not worth the purchase for the majority of gamers. It's definitely a game for those looking for a memorable experience rather than a complete gameplay package.

The area where the game soars is in it's presentation.

The area where the game soars is in it's presentation. The graphics are gorgeous, particularly on home consoles due to the larger screen, and the soundtrack is soothing. The game tries to establish some sort of emotional connection with the layer with it's story about love taking place over lifetimes even though the lovers are separated, but due to how underplayed it all is it falls short. Still it's attempts at being artsy and deep to a game that is both pleasant to look at and listen to.

The gameplay experience consists of controlling two characters at once with the analog sticks and guiding them through rings. Along the way you'll have to pick up gems in order to fuse the two characters into a dragon. Once that happens you'll fly around an open with somewhat awkward controls collecting more gems. It sounds boring, but it's actually a pretty entertaining experience. However that is mostly due to how beautiful the levels themselves are, rather than the simplistic gameplay itself. With only nine brief levels there isn't much content in the story mode. The real meat of the game comes from the challenge mode. However it too is also quite brief.

In the challenge mode you are given three lives and left to last as long as you can flying through the rings. Get a high enough score and the next level opens up. It's a straightforward experience. It's the mode you want to play is you are looking to get the most out of Entwined, but it's also where you notice how tedious the gameplay can be. In the story mode you are distracted by gorgeous graphics and how brief the overall experience is. In challenge mode when you are actually trying to go for a highscore and the threat of death is actually present (I'm pretty sure you can't die in story mode) you notice how bland it all actually is.

It's safe to say Entwined has a lot of flaws. The biggest one being it's length, or lack thereof. It can be beaten in an hour or two and the challenge mode doesn't do much to extend the game's lifespan. Still there is something here worth experiencing to the right audience. It's more of an artistic experience than a satisfying game, but there are people out there who are looking for that. I definitely don't regret playing it, but had I not have gotten it for free I would have definitely regretted paying for it. Those looking for enough gameplay content to back up their purchase should look elsewhere, but those looking to see just how beautiful and meaningful themes of the medium can be should check this out. However even they might be disappointed with how little they are getting for the price tag. A shame considering the game is only $9.99.
  16. May 9, 2016
    Boring repetitive gameplay. Do the same thing from level 1 to level 10. Just a color matching game. Requires precision but has some of the most finicky, imprecise controls I've ever seen. No story or real point to game. A case of impressive visual design does not make a game.
  17. Sep 2, 2015
    In Entwined you control two animals with the movement of each tied to a single thumbstick and one half of the screen. The object is to build up a gauge for both creatures by guiding them through coloured triangles as you fly into the screen and eventually synchronise them forming a green dragon which you then steer around an open environment, collecting further orbs to open the exitIn Entwined you control two animals with the movement of each tied to a single thumbstick and one half of the screen. The object is to build up a gauge for both creatures by guiding them through coloured triangles as you fly into the screen and eventually synchronise them forming a green dragon which you then steer around an open environment, collecting further orbs to open the exit portal. Apparently the game consists of nine levels (or lifetimes as the game calls them) which will take 1-2 hours to complete but, to be honest, I gave up well before that.

These kinds of ‘artsy’ games can work, just play Journey for proof of that, but I felt only a mixture of boredom and frustration when playing Entwined. The game is clearly aiming to provide a laid back experience but this is constantly interrupted by the angry rumble of the gamepad every time you miss a shape. The one note gameplay also doesn’t change at all and there appears to be no link between said gameplay and the message the game is trying to communicate. Things weren’t helped by the fact that, whether as a result of a bug or by design, my progress in the story mode didn’t save forcing me to start all over again each time I played it.

I don’t like to be overly critical of these small indie developers but Entwined just didn’t connect with me at all.
  18. Jun 5, 2016
    Beautiful game, but simple. Which isn't bad. This game tries to capture a relaxing zen type of atmosphere, which it does... in STORY mode. I played story mode first and when I finished it, it felt a 7.5/10 type of game. Respectable. But then I played the challenges, and to unlock the further stages in challenges requires you to get stressed out. The challenges are hard af. Which takes awayBeautiful game, but simple. Which isn't bad. This game tries to capture a relaxing zen type of atmosphere, which it does... in STORY mode. I played story mode first and when I finished it, it felt a 7.5/10 type of game. Respectable. But then I played the challenges, and to unlock the further stages in challenges requires you to get stressed out. The challenges are hard af. Which takes away the zen/relaxing feel this game is trying to portray. So because you have to review an ENTIRE game (you cant just pick out things you liked, or else every game would be a perfect 10/10), it drops the score to a 2/10. It's like eating an apple pie... you bite into the crust and it's delicious, but you can't give that pie a 10/10... you have to try the apple part first.... well the apple part ends up being cherries instead. THAT is what this game is like. Expand
  19. Jul 22, 2015
    If you enjoy games like Tempest and Dyad, this will probably be right up your alley. The emphasis lies more on the atmosphere. It's a game you finish quickly if you're used to this type of game, but a game you should play nonetheless.
  20. Jun 18, 2014
    If you are looking for a relaxing game that can be challenging if you choose, Entwined might be the game you are looking for. Traveling down a road that games such as Journey, Flow, and Flower have also gone, Entwined has you using one analog stick to control a bird and the other analog stick to control a fish as they journey through multiple lifetimes.

The art direction in the game is

The art direction in the game is superb, and overall the controls are responsive. There is one situation in the game that would regularly result in a frame stutter, and I am not sure if it is intentional (it always happened as a result of me failing to properly navigate through a ring) but it sharply pulled me out of the game each time. Additionally, the game plays pretty similar throughout the experience and having a little more variety towards the end lifetimes would have been a nice addition. Otherwise, the music is fantastic and as long as you navigate everything correctly, the gameplay is very immersive.

There is a challenge mode that holds up to its name as being challenging and extends the life of this game which has a short (probably about 2 hour) story mode. Overall, this is a good first game from Pixelopus. It has a few flaws, but overall and enjoyable experience.
  21. Aug 4, 2015
    This game i got on PS Plus so the fact i didnt pay for this does have an impact. i actually quite enjoyed it for the first 20 minutes but the game very soon become repetitive and just dull.
  22. Oct 18, 2014
    Entwined...How do you explain Entwined to someone? This game is an enigma in and of itself. It's addictive, beautiful and simple. Yet at the same time its repetitive, bland and complex. It contrasts itself making a very awkward experience for people who have hours on their hands.

The simple portions of this game seem to offer a complexity that contrasts the game that is at sometimes confusing. The story is that in a nutshell. It is about a fish and a bird in love and the emotions felt through their relationship. This is where it all becomes subjective as much of the scenery at the end of each stage confuses with he overall ending element of the gameplay mechanic for the story. You expect a sort of visual progression in the form of the artwork to tell the story but at times its all over the place from what the title of the level is. Even at the end of the level when the two become one in the form of the beautiful dragon doesn't make sense with the dark-brooding backgrounds given at times.

Minor critiques on the story aside, the real low point of this game is its gameplay design. The simplistic design at of the game is aggravating and time consuming. The use of both control sticks at the same time gives the illusion of difficulty through multitasking and is actually quite simplistic in design. That being said, its made tedious in the story mode. You need to collect orbs in order to transform together into the dragon. This sounds easy enough, but you lose a chunk of your orbs if you take damage from an obstacle. These obstacles take different shapes and go in different patterns based on the levels and how far you are in the levels. All in all its simplistic and loses its charm easily by the fifth level, and as soon as you realize that the amount of orbs lost is greater than that gained, it will start to become tedious.

The art direction is simplistic but beautiful. It shows the beauty of less is more with its unique layered style of the bird, the fish and some of the landscapes. The game itself could be worked better for the design around the gameplay as its just a flash of colours and sometimes not even that many colours. Its lack of consistency really shows in the challenge mode portions as it does get very bland to look at very fast. The music is just like the art direction, but is the opposite. Its beautiful sounding with absolute consistency as every piece starts to sound the same. There is little to no standard in the aesthetic make-up of this game.

While a game can be quiet simplistic in its design, it needs to at least have a solid base for everything. Nothing consistently is good and everything is off in some way. You want to wish it good, but by the end its tedious and scattered nature really comes to light and ruins the experience.

Story: 4
    Gameplay: 2.6
    Visuals: 4.5
    Music: 3.7
    Overall: 3.7
  23. Jul 15, 2015
    I found this to be nothing special. Nice visuals, hints of a beautiful story, repetitive uninteresting gameplay. I wouldn't waste my time playing this for free on the internet so why on my PS4?
  24. Aug 8, 2015
    This was free with ps plus the game is really fun but is also really repetitive

PROS
    - Great game when your bored
    - Can be played on the vita on the go
    - really fun
    -Nice Visuals
    - nice story

CONS
    - VERY VERY REPITITIVE
    - can be really boring

overall - 7.9/10
  25. Nel
    Dec 13, 2016
    Pretty game, takes you through a course of levels. The music is great, good soundtrack. Gameplay is mediocre, it won't take long to scroll through the levels.
  26. Jul 23, 2015
    On the outside this game looked exactly like something I would be into. Simple mechanics coupled with stunning visuals, and a bare bones story that should allow me to create my own conclusions. What I got was a game in which you control a fish with your left thumb, and a bird with your right thumb, and then they mysteriously become a dragon when you complete an arbitrary goal that isOn the outside this game looked exactly like something I would be into. Simple mechanics coupled with stunning visuals, and a bare bones story that should allow me to create my own conclusions. What I got was a game in which you control a fish with your left thumb, and a bird with your right thumb, and then they mysteriously become a dragon when you complete an arbitrary goal that is never explicitly explained.

The object of the game is to collect shiny orbs with both creatures, and then navigate a colored maze of with one or both creatures. The orbs fill up the bars at the top of the screen and the if you don't successfully navigate the puzzle section it takes away some of the bar from the thumb you messed up on. When you fill both bars you can attempt to become a dragon by completing several puzzle sections without failing more then twice in a row with a single creature. The first question I have would be, since when did this math add up? Fish + Bird = Dragon? I don't really get it.

When you are able to pull of turning into a dragon the game "rewards" you by allowing free roam in an area with more shiny things to collect. The one thing I will say is that the visuals of these areas are stunning, and the art is rather unique. So off you go to collect more shiny things and fill more bars. This time when you fill the bar you get to fly really fast and leave a happiness trail behind you. This is were the design team really struck out. They needed to focus on a reward, and make the players strive to achieve it. They gave out 8 of the same exact rewards, albeit with different scenery, and then a 9th reward that was shockingly similar as the grand finale. After all this your main reward is seeing the credits role.

I love supporting indie games, and I love games that push the boundaries of what we think of as traditional. I thought I was going to fall in love with this game, I ended up cursing and beating it just to prove to myself that it was possible. I spent exactly an hour and twenty minutes playing this game, it felt like I played it for nine lifetimes. My hope is that the creators of this game see these reviews and get motivated to try again, with a better understanding of what games need. They have fantastic visuals, but a game needs more then that. Right now your game appeals to one type of person, people who really enjoy going to museums. Nail down a player base, create a good starting point, prototype EARLY and keep your fantastic art style and you might be on to some truly stellar gaming experiences.
  27. Dec 15, 2016
    My opinion not deserve this metascore, coordination between the fingers is positive point this game Entwined can for accelerate your hands, boring and uniform storyline one of negative point at this game but variety of color and textures also strong atmosphere is points that can be noted Entwined is enjoyable experience.
  28. Feb 28, 2017
    It has been years perhaps, since I have been so touched by a game.

It has been years perhaps, since I have been so touched by a game.

You're introduced to this "Always Together, Forever Apart". Then, in the opening cinematic you witness the story of a bird and a fish. The bird leans in to kiss the fish on the mouth, leading the fish to also lean in. Then the bird thinks "nah" and flies away. But the fish still thinks they can be together so it repeatedly hops out of the water to hook up with the bird.

Game-play: You control the fish and the bird *separately* to collect spheres and go through ugly, colored triangles, because that's what lovers do. If you attempt to bring them *together* they,ll turn green because that's sick, and not in a good way. Anyways, after a lifetime of doing the same thing over and over again, the fish and the bird become a retarded dragon that's hard to maneuver. You'll continue to collect spheres but this time you'll hate it more. At least you get to draw a cool looking line afterwards as consolation. The game expects you to repeat this process, un-ironically called "lifetime", nine times.

In the end, the phrase "Forever Apart" fades out of the screen and you're left with "Always together". That's when it hit me. The writer is either pushing bestiality or is dealing with unrequited love (or both).
    So deep, much emotion, wow.

1. Jan 12, 2015
    All in all, Entwined is a flawed game with some good ideas, but none of them coalesce in a cohesive, interesting way.
  2. CD-Action
    Oct 22, 2014
    I hate it when developers use pompous artsy nonsense to hide the fact that their game has nothing to offer in terms of gameplay. Entwined is a primitive arcade game with an obnoxiously pretentious ‘love story’. [Sept 2014, p.67]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Aug 25, 2014
    A missed opportunity. Entwined could have been something extra special, but is ultimately forgettable instead. [September 2014, p74]