Fez PlayStation 4

6.3

1. Sep 2, 2014
    I can't stand Phil Fish but there is no denying that this game is almost a masterpiece. The only reason I'm not giving this game a perfect 10 is because some of the puzzles were literally impossible and should have had a bit more direction. Make no mistake. You will need a walkthrough.
  2. May 27, 2014
    Great visuals, beautiful landscape and music is quarky but good. Falls a little short when it comes to what to do for certain areas. This game is HUGE btw. It will take forever to do all the puzzles and areas fully. Deff worth the money, but to me, absolutely no replay value.
  3. Apr 17, 2014
    I like the idea for the game, 3D and 2D at the same time?! The annoying thing about this game though is that it can be frustrating since it is really quite hard. Also the intro is quite long which I think is not needed.
    Overall I give this game 6/10 for an interesting Combo of 3D and 2D.
  4. Mar 28, 2014
    Fez is a masterpiece .. a joyous trip down memory lane. For all the retro games you think you loved but on revisiting wandered why you held them in such high regard, Fez is a throwback to those rose tinted memories, except it delivers on every level. Charming graphics, jaunty ditties, simple but so fitting and gameplay which on the surface is simple but expands and draws you into itsFez is a masterpiece .. a joyous trip down memory lane. For all the retro games you think you loved but on revisiting wandered why you held them in such high regard, Fez is a throwback to those rose tinted memories, except it delivers on every level. Charming graphics, jaunty ditties, simple but so fitting and gameplay which on the surface is simple but expands and draws you into its compelling deep world. Hours are lost exploring, experimenting, progressing .. and all done whilst making you smile like a cheshire cat. I didn't even realise I was smiling until I caught my reflection in the t.v. Fez is simple .. basic but so charming and clever. Everyone should play it. For my money .. this is very close to being the best PS4 game so far. High praise but worth every accolade. Expand
  5. May 22, 2014
    This game is a charming little number that takes some influences to the platforming days of old. A classic formula is built upon with a neat twist (literally!). This game follows the story of Gomez, a white ghost goo type thingy that goes on a world shifting quest to retrieve the pieces of the might cube. The twisting gameplay mechanic is superb and brings with it a whole new level ofThis game is a charming little number that takes some influences to the platforming days of old. A classic formula is built upon with a neat twist (literally!). This game follows the story of Gomez, a white ghost goo type thingy that goes on a world shifting quest to retrieve the pieces of the might cube. The twisting gameplay mechanic is superb and brings with it a whole new level of depth to platforming and puzzle solving. The cross save feature means you can buy it on either console and then play it on both (great for those who don't want to have to remote play).

Onto the bad side. Though this game is perfectly fine for younger kids to play, the difficulty of the puzzles is more than enough to confound a person of average intelligence. I found myself resorting to guides in times of dire struggle a bit too often for my liking. Also, the map navigation is fairly difficult as well, and sometimes feels like a game of door roulette, hoping you'll end up going into the correct room. But if you can get your head around it, this is an enjoyable adventure you can find yourself plugging many hours into in between other releases.
  6. Aug 7, 2014
    As a brief summary, Fez is an amazingly unique game, with great mechanics, cryptic environments, and a slightly surreal atmosphere. As a game, it plays amazingly well. There is a perfect blend of puzzle and platformer, not so much that either necessarily favours itself over the other.With games like Fez, I know that the future of indie games is certainly bright.
  7. Nov 6, 2015
    The game definitely isn't bad, no. It's good. Its design, concept, music, atmosphere, simplistic story, secrets, everything is good. But I think the game doesn't really have the required mechanics to make me say that it's great. It's a decent game, good to have at a low price, but it's just very....the same. Every area, the puzzles, the collecting, really doesn't get any different. ThereThe game definitely isn't bad, no. It's good. Its design, concept, music, atmosphere, simplistic story, secrets, everything is good. But I think the game doesn't really have the required mechanics to make me say that it's great. It's a decent game, good to have at a low price, but it's just very....the same. Every area, the puzzles, the collecting, really doesn't get any different. There aren't really any big game-changers at all.

If you like platformers or just unique indie games in general, then, jeez, go for it if you haven't yet. But if you're not - this definitely isn't a must-have on your list.
  8. Apr 12, 2014
    This is the hipsters version of Paper Mario. Apparently this game was featured in some Indie Game movie and every fedora sporting, Starbucks fanatic is talking about it. Please, excuse me while I hang myself by my PS4 controller cord. Oh darn, it's wireless.
  9. Sep 11, 2014
    Yet another boring, overhyped Indie platformer. I got this free on PS+, and I'd be pissed if I had paid anything for it. Stay away, and don't listen to the artsy fartsy reviewers on this who seem to think its cool now to only play 2D, retro, side scrolling, platformer, Indies. Utter rubbish
  10. Jun 24, 2014
    I can see why some people like this game as it is kind of innovative but I thought it was just plain boring. I understand that you can change perspective and platforms that are not accessible in one perspective might be in another. It's cool, no doubt. I just think the game itself is a borefest. You need to collect cubes to open doors to the next stage and solve some puzzles along theI can see why some people like this game as it is kind of innovative but I thought it was just plain boring. I understand that you can change perspective and platforms that are not accessible in one perspective might be in another. It's cool, no doubt. I just think the game itself is a borefest. You need to collect cubes to open doors to the next stage and solve some puzzles along the way... I do think that this game is overrated and it may be innovative but it takes more than that to be a good game, a game needs to be fun, to some it is, to me it's not. Flower was overrated as well and was boring as hell...I'm not going to say "do not buy it" because a lot of people seem to enjoy this game, but my personal opinion is that I just didn't like it but I did think it was innovative... Expand
  11. Aug 15, 2014
    The game is somewhat innovative but **** it's boring as hell, I can't believe this game has a high rating. Fez is such a pretentious modern art piece of ****
  12. Apr 4, 2014
    I had heard great things about Fez and I really had hoped for a ps3 version. I had no idea it was coming to ps4 but to my surprise there it was on the store. I instantly downloaded it and started a game with my 8 year old daughter and we were not disappointed.

Fez is a beautifully crafted unique gem of a game. The graphics are in an 8 bit style with cutesy characters all rendered in stunning HD. The music and sound are enchanting and the gameplay is superb. You are tasked with finding gold cubes on each platform world all linked together through doors to other universes. But this is not just a simple platformer. You have to rotate the world 90 degrees at a time to see all angles of the structure you have to climb. So in order to solve puzzles you have to start thinking of all sides of the 360 degree world. It can at time get confusing but is very fun when you get the rhythm.

I really enjoyed the game and my daughter loves the game too and has played through on her own as well. You can tell the developer has poured his heart and soul into perfecting the game, and it shows. A unique and beautiful game, I highly recommend it to all.
  13. Jun 10, 2014
    This was the worst game I have every played. I found the controls very aggravating, the graphics were atrocious, the story line was horrible, the prompts were annoying, and very dissatisfying game. I was very angry and gave up after 15 minutes of forcing myself to play. This is the only game I have ever given anything lower than a 4.
  14. May 26, 2014
    I thought it was good without being amazing. Some of the puzzles were really good, & difficult. Some were too difficult but at least it has something for everyone's skill level.
    Had the same level of fun playing this as I did Child of Light, which I would've given a 7 but bumped up to an 8 for being a great game for noobs. I'd give this game a 7 but bumped up to an 8 for it's creativeness with the 2D/3D hybrid.
  15. Mar 30, 2014
    Fez is easily one of the most refreshing experiences I have had in like forever, It's very calm and satisfactory vibe and the beautiful soundtrack blends something to the core game, The game-play is simple it includes various climbing and jumping sequences, It is challenging as well and has basic platforming, It's generally a basic Indie game but one which is simple and i have no clue howFez is easily one of the most refreshing experiences I have had in like forever, It's very calm and satisfactory vibe and the beautiful soundtrack blends something to the core game, The game-play is simple it includes various climbing and jumping sequences, It is challenging as well and has basic platforming, It's generally a basic Indie game but one which is simple and i have no clue how it makes me love it, My basic playthrough was 8-10 hours, And I would say it was worth the price especially if you want a change for once. Expand
  16. Apr 9, 2014
    Fez is a cute game that held my interest for a while. It isn't the greatest retro game in the world, but for a cheap downloadable game, it's a lot of fun. Fez may not be a full AAA console experience, but for the price it's a "pretty good" game.
  17. Sep 9, 2014
    I was really looking forward to Fez, but was very disappointed. The game is extremely simple, with few puzzles worthy of the name and virtually no challenge. I didn't finish, put this back on the shelf, regret buying it.

BUYER BEWARE
  18. Aug 23, 2014
    Attractive to look at and interesting in mechanics and concept but the game feels aimless. It's very easy to get disoriented traveling from world to world and the scatterbrained map does little to help.
  19. Sep 12, 2014
    it looks pretty and that's about it, the puzzles are simple and the 3D gimmick fails to be impressive after a while and has been done better, the game is far too easy and it doesn't feel rewarding in the slightest
  20. Sep 14, 2014
    The author of this game thinks you should pay him money for streaming it on twitch or making a youtube video with this game in it. So why would you support this in anyway?
  21. Nov 11, 2014
    Fez is a collection of pixel. Exotic game early but not after because quickly tiresome after some hours.

Graphics 4/10
    Music 6/10
    Gameplay 5/10

My overall score is 5
  22. Mar 26, 2014
    I saw Indie Gamer: The Movie on Netflix one night and was fascinated by the concept of creating and programming your own video game and getting it selected by X-box live or PlayStation network . This game was originally created by two people and it took them a long time to get it finished. And to add drama to the documentary , the programmer quit and when the main creator was worried thatI saw Indie Gamer: The Movie on Netflix one night and was fascinated by the concept of creating and programming your own video game and getting it selected by X-box live or PlayStation network . This game was originally created by two people and it took them a long time to get it finished. And to add drama to the documentary , the programmer quit and when the main creator was worried that he would get sease and decist letter when he showed it at a convention. I love the idea that Red Dead Redemption had 1000 programmers and they could only charge $50 or $60, and Fez had two programmers and PlayStation network is charging $10. I hope most of that goes in the pocket of the developers. Capitalism at its best. Expand
  23. Aug 25, 2014
    Style over substance. The game combines a retro style with some beautiful scenes to create a lovely visual experience. The music - probably the best feature of the game - accentuates this, combining retro video game music with warm, ambient synths. The overall aesthetic affect is powerful. Unfortunately, this is where the clear creative vision ends. The story starts strongly enough, andStyle over substance. The game combines a retro style with some beautiful scenes to create a lovely visual experience. The music - probably the best feature of the game - accentuates this, combining retro video game music with warm, ambient synths. The overall aesthetic affect is powerful. Unfortunately, this is where the clear creative vision ends. The story starts strongly enough, and there is some witty and quirky dialogue, but this quickly fades away into nothing. The only reason for this seems to be laziness on the part of the developers - the game is clearly crying out for a good story, and there is abundant opportunity for populating the world with interesting characters with interesting dialogue, but there is a total absence of these things. Lastly, but most importantly, the gameplay. This is the least focused aspect of all. The central mechanic to the game involves rotating the 2D word by 90 degrees to see it from different angles. It is clever and original, and has huge potential for some clever puzzles and gameplay elements. Regrettably, this potential is completely unattained, and asides from a couple of simple uses of the mechanic which you quickly get used to, it is really just used as a stylistic element rather than an integral part of the gameplay, so that the game really just becomes a very bland platformer. It seems that the developers were either too incapable or lazy to turn the mechanic into an actual game, or else they simply failed to recognise its potential and focus on it. Instead, rather bizarrely, the gameplay slowly descends into obscure puzzles involving code breaking or noticing obscure parts of the environment. None of these puzzles are well-designed or enjoyable, and a number of them are downright bad. All in all, I did initially enjoy playing this game purely as an aesthetic experience, rather like the experience of peacefully observing a painting, so I can't give it a very low score, and you should give it a try if you are into that kind of thing. However, once you have had enough of the sensual experience, stop playing, as its artistic merits are woefully unmatched by its merits as a game. For this reason I can't give it a high score either. A score of 5 therefore seems appropriate. Expand
  24. Jul 13, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece. The fact you can change the world around you and view all from different perspectives, each with a different take on the situation you are faced with, is amazing! The creators had one of the best ideas ever! this game's take on puzzles forces you to look at each level at a different way, challenging you to change your perspective of the world.
  25. May 16, 2014
    Excellent modern game that harks back to old school values. Beautiful music, vibrant graphics and innovative puzzles all makes up a very fulfilling gaming experience. I seen it compared in another review to Paper Mario, that's hardly fair. Fez is much much better.
  26. Jun 13, 2014
    This is a great port for the PS4
    Pros:
    + The Puzzles are not punishingly hard
    + The Graphics are amazing
    + Kids, Teens and Adults will find this title a masterpiece
    Cons:
    - Wish it was longer
    - The story is...meh
    - The developer is not making anymore games :(
    Recommendation: Everyone
  27. Apr 7, 2014
    Love the idea for this game, rotating and old school graphics....I played for probably 10 hours and after a while I couldn't figure out where to go next (after the well/sewer level) I tried to play this without using the internet or a walkthrough, but I just got sick of going in circles. Good game, but the map system with the hexagons is confusing, as is whatever the triangle button isLove the idea for this game, rotating and old school graphics....I played for probably 10 hours and after a while I couldn't figure out where to go next (after the well/sewer level) I tried to play this without using the internet or a walkthrough, but I just got sick of going in circles. Good game, but the map system with the hexagons is confusing, as is whatever the triangle button is supposed to show me. Expand
  28. May 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. perfect 2d game a lot better than ps3 on ps4 it is awsome on ps3 it is a 7 but on ps4 it is a 9 pefect 9 and perfect 9 and a perfect 9 go buy it or i kill you Expand
  29. Sep 28, 2014
    it has a special design, i like the 3D look of it but i cannot enjoy the game that much, i get very bored, and find it a bit dull and repetitive......
  30. Nov 19, 2014
    Old school gaming feel, but the 3 dimensions makes me feel nauseous after a while. Wasn't a big fan of the map either, moving between levels is taxing.
  31. Aug 9, 2014
    I can recommend this game anyone in any age. This is a puzzle game with a fresh and new mechanic. If you are an arcade,action or effect lover this game will not be suitable for you.But if you are a puzzle-game fun Fez will be a fresh breath to you.
    It is not a masterpiece but obviously it will give a fresh way of game-play to platform and puzzle games.
  32. Sep 10, 2014
    Fantastic game. Fun and exiting to find all the cubes. Reminds me of old-school gaming on Nintendo. Extremely hard if you want to get 100%. Easy for the players how just want to play the game as relaxation.
  33. May 15, 2015
  34. Mar 20, 2016
    I normally love this type of game but I just couldn't get into Fez. Sure it's cute and has an ingenious central mechanic but it all feels a bit samey and boring after a while. A case of unrealised potential I'm afraid.
  35. Aug 24, 2014
    This is a great game based around an innovative concept of mixed 2D and 3D physics. I liked its visual style a lot, the music and sound effects are great, too. The story is fun. The only downside is that, indeed, like with almost all (or maybe all) puzzle games one starts feeling bored after a while, even though the game offers very varied levels, with many special objects. I'd say thisThis is a great game based around an innovative concept of mixed 2D and 3D physics. I liked its visual style a lot, the music and sound effects are great, too. The story is fun. The only downside is that, indeed, like with almost all (or maybe all) puzzle games one starts feeling bored after a while, even though the game offers very varied levels, with many special objects. I'd say this game very well deserves its fame, it's pretty much in one line with Braid, Antichamber and Limbo. I'm not a fan of puzzles myself but I still enjoyed it for a while. Expand
  36. Jan 18, 2015
    I give it a 5 for innovation, new thinking and the fact that "one" man used several years to finish it, but just not for me, it did not feel like a game and I was quickly bored with it.
  37. May 23, 2015
    I enjoyed FEZ for the first hour or so but this title really began to get old quickly. With practically no story and puzzles with repetitive themes the game quickly loses what little luster it has going for it. The spot in a movie bolstered a lot of mainstream support for this title and got players hyped for it but most have been sorely let down. The title fails to deliver in almost everyI enjoyed FEZ for the first hour or so but this title really began to get old quickly. With practically no story and puzzles with repetitive themes the game quickly loses what little luster it has going for it. The spot in a movie bolstered a lot of mainstream support for this title and got players hyped for it but most have been sorely let down. The title fails to deliver in almost every aspect. Indie games aren't meant to have cutting edge graphics but they have to make up ground in other areas such as ingenuity of mechanics and a fantastic plot but FEZ does neither. I rarely give 10's but no game deserves a 0 either. I give the game a pity 4 for trying something different. Expand
  38. May 27, 2015
    Truly a classic platformer, the depth of this game is phenomenal (see what I did there?). With secrets and puzzles to keep you occupied for days, it is so easy to sit back and become absorbed in the tranquil atmosphere of this game, created by a fantastic soundtrack and a gorgeous art style. Loses a single mark for a clunky map/navigation system, and controls that on rare occasions feltTruly a classic platformer, the depth of this game is phenomenal (see what I did there?). With secrets and puzzles to keep you occupied for days, it is so easy to sit back and become absorbed in the tranquil atmosphere of this game, created by a fantastic soundtrack and a gorgeous art style. Loses a single mark for a clunky map/navigation system, and controls that on rare occasions felt somewhat unresponsive. It also could have benefitted from having more in the way of a story, but that's just my opinion.

Edit: I just noticed that this game has quite a low user review score. This is due to a load of AAA gamers downloading the game for free from ps+ and then getting upset when they found out there weren't actually any guns in the game, and you actually had to use your brain while playing. Thinking while playing a video game? What an absurd concept.
  39. Aug 17, 2015
    Fez is an interesting platformer with a lot of charm. It has quirky art design and the music is a real treat. Where the game falls short however is in it's repetition. The neat screen spinning mechanic starts out fun but quickly becomes tired when no new mechanics are introduced. The map gets a little overwhelming and cumbersome at times. The game is truly a delight for a few hours, butFez is an interesting platformer with a lot of charm. It has quirky art design and the music is a real treat. Where the game falls short however is in it's repetition. The neat screen spinning mechanic starts out fun but quickly becomes tired when no new mechanics are introduced. The map gets a little overwhelming and cumbersome at times. The game is truly a delight for a few hours, but beyond that becomes a grind with obscure puzzle solving that provides very little clues and will deter all from the most devoted from solving on their own. A neat little unique game that relies too much on one mechanic. Expand
  40. Nov 16, 2015
    Fez is without a doubt one of my favourite games of all time. The atmosphere of this game is extremely relaxing, and the game wants you to get lost in it, quite literally. There is no right or wrong way to go in Fez, and that is one of my favourite elements of it. The puzzles in Fez are quite well balanced, ranging from the simpler platforming puzzles needed to complete the story, all theFez is without a doubt one of my favourite games of all time. The atmosphere of this game is extremely relaxing, and the game wants you to get lost in it, quite literally. There is no right or wrong way to go in Fez, and that is one of my favourite elements of it. The puzzles in Fez are quite well balanced, ranging from the simpler platforming puzzles needed to complete the story, all the way to extremely cryptic brain crunchers for the completionists. Fez also tells a neat little story through its world, if you're observant enough to pick it up, and observant is what you'll have to be if you want full completion of this game. I cannot recommend Fez enough, whether you just want to relax and play a stress free platformer or if you're looking for a deep puzzling challenge, Fez just keeps on giving. Expand

1. Sep 16, 2014
    Fez is simply brilliant and intelligent. This game is difficult, but the satisfaction is assured thanks to clever puzzles and a wonderful level design.
  2. Play UK
    May 2, 2014
    The perfect package of platforming, abstract thinking, and retro love. [Issue#243, p.60]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 27, 2014
    Mind-bending and impossible to put down, Fez will have you thinking outside the box. [May 2014, p79]