Fez PlayStation 4

6.3

1. Sep 2, 2014
    I can't stand Phil Fish but there is no denying that this game is almost a masterpiece. The only reason I'm not giving this game a perfect 10 is because some of the puzzles were literally impossible and should have had a bit more direction. Make no mistake. You will need a walkthrough.
  2. May 27, 2014
    Great visuals, beautiful landscape and music is quarky but good. Falls a little short when it comes to what to do for certain areas. This game is HUGE btw. It will take forever to do all the puzzles and areas fully. Deff worth the money, but to me, absolutely no replay value.
  3. Mar 28, 2014
    Fez is a masterpiece .. a joyous trip down memory lane. For all the retro games you think you loved but on revisiting wandered why you held them in such high regard, Fez is a throwback to those rose tinted memories, except it delivers on every level. Charming graphics, jaunty ditties, simple but so fitting and gameplay which on the surface is simple but expands and draws you into itsFez is a masterpiece .. a joyous trip down memory lane. For all the retro games you think you loved but on revisiting wandered why you held them in such high regard, Fez is a throwback to those rose tinted memories, except it delivers on every level. Charming graphics, jaunty ditties, simple but so fitting and gameplay which on the surface is simple but expands and draws you into its compelling deep world. Hours are lost exploring, experimenting, progressing .. and all done whilst making you smile like a cheshire cat. I didn't even realise I was smiling until I caught my reflection in the t.v. Fez is simple .. basic but so charming and clever. Everyone should play it. For my money .. this is very close to being the best PS4 game so far. High praise but worth every accolade. Expand
  4. May 22, 2014
    This game is a charming little number that takes some influences to the platforming days of old. A classic formula is built upon with a neat twist (literally!). This game follows the story of Gomez, a white ghost goo type thingy that goes on a world shifting quest to retrieve the pieces of the might cube. The twisting gameplay mechanic is superb and brings with it a whole new level ofThis game is a charming little number that takes some influences to the platforming days of old. A classic formula is built upon with a neat twist (literally!). This game follows the story of Gomez, a white ghost goo type thingy that goes on a world shifting quest to retrieve the pieces of the might cube. The twisting gameplay mechanic is superb and brings with it a whole new level of depth to platforming and puzzle solving. The cross save feature means you can buy it on either console and then play it on both (great for those who don't want to have to remote play).

Onto the bad side. Though this game is perfectly fine for younger kids to play, the difficulty of the puzzles is more than enough to confound a person of average intelligence. I found myself resorting to guides in times of dire struggle a bit too often for my liking. Also, the map navigation is fairly difficult as well, and sometimes feels like a game of door roulette, hoping you'll end up going into the correct room. But if you can get your head around it, this is an enjoyable adventure you can find yourself plugging many hours into in between other releases.
  5. Aug 7, 2014
    As a brief summary, Fez is an amazingly unique game, with great mechanics, cryptic environments, and a slightly surreal atmosphere. As a game, it plays amazingly well. There is a perfect blend of puzzle and platformer, not so much that either necessarily favours itself over the other.With games like Fez, I know that the future of indie games is certainly bright.
  6. Apr 4, 2014
    I had heard great things about Fez and I really had hoped for a ps3 version. I had no idea it was coming to ps4 but to my surprise there it was on the store. I instantly downloaded it and started a game with my 8 year old daughter and we were not disappointed.

Fez is a beautifully crafted unique gem of a game. The graphics are in an 8 bit style with cutesy characters all rendered in stunning HD. The music and sound are enchanting and the gameplay is superb. You are tasked with finding gold cubes on each platform world all linked together through doors to other universes. But this is not just a simple platformer. You have to rotate the world 90 degrees at a time to see all angles of the structure you have to climb. So in order to solve puzzles you have to start thinking of all sides of the 360 degree world. It can at time get confusing but is very fun when you get the rhythm.

I really enjoyed the game and my daughter loves the game too and has played through on her own as well. You can tell the developer has poured his heart and soul into perfecting the game, and it shows. A unique and beautiful game, I highly recommend it to all.
  7. May 26, 2014
    I thought it was good without being amazing. Some of the puzzles were really good, & difficult. Some were too difficult but at least it has something for everyone's skill level.
    Had the same level of fun playing this as I did Child of Light, which I would've given a 7 but bumped up to an 8 for being a great game for noobs. I'd give this game a 7 but bumped up to an 8 for it's creativeness with the 2D/3D hybrid.
  8. Mar 30, 2014
    Fez is easily one of the most refreshing experiences I have had in like forever, It's very calm and satisfactory vibe and the beautiful soundtrack blends something to the core game, The game-play is simple it includes various climbing and jumping sequences, It is challenging as well and has basic platforming, It's generally a basic Indie game but one which is simple and i have no clue howFez is easily one of the most refreshing experiences I have had in like forever, It's very calm and satisfactory vibe and the beautiful soundtrack blends something to the core game, The game-play is simple it includes various climbing and jumping sequences, It is challenging as well and has basic platforming, It's generally a basic Indie game but one which is simple and i have no clue how it makes me love it, My basic playthrough was 8-10 hours, And I would say it was worth the price especially if you want a change for once. Expand
  9. Sep 10, 2014
    Fantastic game. Fun and exiting to find all the cubes. Reminds me of old-school gaming on Nintendo. Extremely hard if you want to get 100%. Easy for the players how just want to play the game as relaxation.
  10. Mar 26, 2014
    I saw Indie Gamer: The Movie on Netflix one night and was fascinated by the concept of creating and programming your own video game and getting it selected by X-box live or PlayStation network . This game was originally created by two people and it took them a long time to get it finished. And to add drama to the documentary , the programmer quit and when the main creator was worried thatI saw Indie Gamer: The Movie on Netflix one night and was fascinated by the concept of creating and programming your own video game and getting it selected by X-box live or PlayStation network . This game was originally created by two people and it took them a long time to get it finished. And to add drama to the documentary , the programmer quit and when the main creator was worried that he would get sease and decist letter when he showed it at a convention. I love the idea that Red Dead Redemption had 1000 programmers and they could only charge $50 or $60, and Fez had two programmers and PlayStation network is charging $10. I hope most of that goes in the pocket of the developers. Capitalism at its best. Expand
  11. Jul 13, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece. The fact you can change the world around you and view all from different perspectives, each with a different take on the situation you are faced with, is amazing! The creators had one of the best ideas ever! this game's take on puzzles forces you to look at each level at a different way, challenging you to change your perspective of the world.
  12. May 16, 2014
    Excellent modern game that harks back to old school values. Beautiful music, vibrant graphics and innovative puzzles all makes up a very fulfilling gaming experience. I seen it compared in another review to Paper Mario, that's hardly fair. Fez is much much better.
  13. Jun 13, 2014
    This is a great port for the PS4
    Pros:
    + The Puzzles are not punishingly hard
    + The Graphics are amazing
    + Kids, Teens and Adults will find this title a masterpiece
    Cons:
    - Wish it was longer
    - The story is...meh
    - The developer is not making anymore games :(
    Recommendation: Everyone
  14. May 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. perfect 2d game a lot better than ps3 on ps4 it is awsome on ps3 it is a 7 but on ps4 it is a 9 pefect 9 and perfect 9 and a perfect 9 go buy it or i kill you Expand
  15. Aug 9, 2014
    I can recommend this game anyone in any age. This is a puzzle game with a fresh and new mechanic. If you are an arcade,action or effect lover this game will not be suitable for you.But if you are a puzzle-game fun Fez will be a fresh breath to you.
    It is not a masterpiece but obviously it will give a fresh way of game-play to platform and puzzle games.
  16. Aug 24, 2014
    This is a great game based around an innovative concept of mixed 2D and 3D physics. I liked its visual style a lot, the music and sound effects are great, too. The story is fun. The only downside is that, indeed, like with almost all (or maybe all) puzzle games one starts feeling bored after a while, even though the game offers very varied levels, with many special objects. I'd say thisThis is a great game based around an innovative concept of mixed 2D and 3D physics. I liked its visual style a lot, the music and sound effects are great, too. The story is fun. The only downside is that, indeed, like with almost all (or maybe all) puzzle games one starts feeling bored after a while, even though the game offers very varied levels, with many special objects. I'd say this game very well deserves its fame, it's pretty much in one line with Braid, Antichamber and Limbo. I'm not a fan of puzzles myself but I still enjoyed it for a while. Expand
  17. May 27, 2015
    Truly a classic platformer, the depth of this game is phenomenal (see what I did there?). With secrets and puzzles to keep you occupied for days, it is so easy to sit back and become absorbed in the tranquil atmosphere of this game, created by a fantastic soundtrack and a gorgeous art style. Loses a single mark for a clunky map/navigation system, and controls that on rare occasions feltTruly a classic platformer, the depth of this game is phenomenal (see what I did there?). With secrets and puzzles to keep you occupied for days, it is so easy to sit back and become absorbed in the tranquil atmosphere of this game, created by a fantastic soundtrack and a gorgeous art style. Loses a single mark for a clunky map/navigation system, and controls that on rare occasions felt somewhat unresponsive. It also could have benefitted from having more in the way of a story, but that's just my opinion.

Edit: I just noticed that this game has quite a low user review score. This is due to a load of AAA gamers downloading the game for free from ps+ and then getting upset when they found out there weren't actually any guns in the game, and you actually had to use your brain while playing. Thinking while playing a video game? What an absurd concept.
  18. Nov 16, 2015
    Fez is without a doubt one of my favourite games of all time. The atmosphere of this game is extremely relaxing, and the game wants you to get lost in it, quite literally. There is no right or wrong way to go in Fez, and that is one of my favourite elements of it. The puzzles in Fez are quite well balanced, ranging from the simpler platforming puzzles needed to complete the story, all theFez is without a doubt one of my favourite games of all time. The atmosphere of this game is extremely relaxing, and the game wants you to get lost in it, quite literally. There is no right or wrong way to go in Fez, and that is one of my favourite elements of it. The puzzles in Fez are quite well balanced, ranging from the simpler platforming puzzles needed to complete the story, all the way to extremely cryptic brain crunchers for the completionists. Fez also tells a neat little story through its world, if you're observant enough to pick it up, and observant is what you'll have to be if you want full completion of this game. I cannot recommend Fez enough, whether you just want to relax and play a stress free platformer or if you're looking for a deep puzzling challenge, Fez just keeps on giving. Expand
  19. Nov 4, 2016
    I see scores are quite polarised for this game, and I understand where it’s coming from. For me, FEZ was a really nice game.

So what’s FEZ? I’d say fez is a mixture of platforming a puzzling. It is not as much plataforming as a Mario game is and it’s not so much about puzzles as Dr. Layton is; it’s sits somewhere in the middle, maybe 70-75% platforming and 25-30% puzzles. In terms of gameplay that means it not quite fast, addictive gameplay as a Mario game but something significantly slower and calmer. So, if you’re looking for a Mario, donkey kong or something like that, this isn’t it.

The main mechanic of the game, other than jumping around as in any other platforming game is the fact that despite being 2D you can turn around the camera in 3D, giving you different perspectives of a same object/area. This, I think is quite a clever mechanic. It is true though that it could have been used in a better way. I mean that kind of thing could probably be used to make some really nice puzzles and stuff, but in general it is quite easy to see how to progress after you’ve changed the perspective a couple of times. At the same time, maybe it would have made the game too slow, but I understand why some people feel it’s a bit wasted.

Anyway, said that the thing that I really liked about this game was the puzzles and setting in general. Music is fantastic, graphics are cute and I have to say it, this game made me feel like an archaeologist. There are symbols and a language that you don’t understand (it is strange symbols) and you can decipher it by solving certain puzzles, to do so I had to actually grab paper a pen which is really nice. It has like a very mysterious setting and you start to find out things and as I said made me feel like an archaeologist/explorer; that for me is very unique in a game. Finally the puzzles, I think there’s a bit of everything here, easy and hard ones and it is certainly a good challenge to complete them all. I’ll say a couple of them, specifically a very significant one is badly designed, meaning the answer is based on knowing a sentence that apparently you learn when you’re a kid at school (a mnemonic); problem is that apparently is a school thing in English native speaking countries so I wasn’t able to solve that one; and that is a bit **** and I think it is bad design (but it is a minor thing if you consider the game as a whole).

Overall, I’d say this is quite a unique game and, unfortunately, is hard to know if you’ll enjoy it or not beforehand. I definitely think tough that for you to really enjoy and appreciate the beauty of this game, you need to like the puzzle component in a game, so if you don’t enjoy that I think you’ll go “meh…”
  20. Aug 20, 2016
    This game is simply amazing. What some presumed a gimmick was mastered into a necessity for Fez to be played to the fullest. Its 2D to 3D transitions are beautifully animated and the 2D pixel art graphics are absolutely amazing. I found this game after watching the documentary, "Indie Games: The Movie", and after watching Phil Fish struggle with so many things just for this game its a veryThis game is simply amazing. What some presumed a gimmick was mastered into a necessity for Fez to be played to the fullest. Its 2D to 3D transitions are beautifully animated and the 2D pixel art graphics are absolutely amazing. I found this game after watching the documentary, "Indie Games: The Movie", and after watching Phil Fish struggle with so many things just for this game its a very strange feeling to be playing it with the knowledge of what he suffered. Its controls on console are as smooth as PC and I recommend this to any player looking for a innovative platformer. Expand

1. Sep 16, 2014
    Fez is simply brilliant and intelligent. This game is difficult, but the satisfaction is assured thanks to clever puzzles and a wonderful level design.
  2. Play UK
    May 2, 2014
    The perfect package of platforming, abstract thinking, and retro love. [Issue#243, p.60]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 27, 2014
    Mind-bending and impossible to put down, Fez will have you thinking outside the box. [May 2014, p79]