Final Fantasy XV PlayStation 4

7.6

1. Dec 21, 2016
    The game is mediocre in possibly the most frustrating way possible. Some parts truly shine, while other parts are terrible to play and atrociously boring. I can't bring myself to finish it; I've spent 35 hours in the game so far, and every time I think I get the combat, my AI road-trip pals decide to stand in fire for no reason. Or let themselves be surrounded. Or something else stupidThe game is mediocre in possibly the most frustrating way possible. Some parts truly shine, while other parts are terrible to play and atrociously boring. I can't bring myself to finish it; I've spent 35 hours in the game so far, and every time I think I get the combat, my AI road-trip pals decide to stand in fire for no reason. Or let themselves be surrounded. Or something else stupid which I have zero control over. It's beautiful most of the time, and ugly sometimes. The best music is the CD's from the previous games you can buy ingame. The story is... OK? Like a summer blockbuster. It has enormous plot-holes and is in general not interesting. The world is huge, beautiful, and mostly empty. In the beginning the characters talked together in the car and held interesting, character building conversations. Past the midpoint they just... Sit in silence and stare at their phones. Much like I ended up doing. And then I stopped playing.

I'm disappointed, and frustrated that some parts shine while overall it's just so utterly average an experience.
  2. Jan 21, 2017
    This game is clearly flawed, but there was also a lot of fun to be had for the 50-hour playthrough. Ultimately, it is about the bonding and friendship of the 4 guys, and that is developed very well. The story is a mess, the world is empty, the facial animate is dated, the camera controls are mediocre, and yes, chapter 13 is just as bad as everyone says. The second half takes just a fewThis game is clearly flawed, but there was also a lot of fun to be had for the 50-hour playthrough. Ultimately, it is about the bonding and friendship of the 4 guys, and that is developed very well. The story is a mess, the world is empty, the facial animate is dated, the camera controls are mediocre, and yes, chapter 13 is just as bad as everyone says. The second half takes just a few hours because they clearly rushed it out the door. It needed another year or two of development and some polish as well. Expand
  3. Dec 13, 2016
    About 30 hours played and I really want to enjoy the game more but I just can't. The first 10 hours or so were enjoyable: Learning the new world, learning the combat system, learning the skills and ascension system. But the more I play the more it started going off the rails.

Let's start with the biggest issue of all, story. I went into this game having watched both Kingsglaive (the movie) and Brotherhood (the anime), so I have never once felt lost or confused. However, if someone picks up the game without having touched the movie or anime, they'll be utterly lost about what they're really out there doing. The fundamental core of a role playing game is the story and being forced to go outside of the game to learn the backstory that rounds out the game is a HUGE no-no.

The real time combat system is decent but after around 10-15 hours you'll realize you're basically using the same 2-3 weapon types, doing the same combos, using the same 2-3 techniques from the rest of your party members, and just yawning your way through most encounters. The only time the encounters are troublesome is late, late at night when it sometimes feels like dropping high level daemons on you or when you get literal battalions of magitek solders dropped on your head.

Open world: This is where the game really falls apart. Most of the quests are just glorified, MMO-style, fetch and return quests but the worst problem is the insane amount of time it takes to get places. Only certain areas (cities, rest stops, some parking stops) get the benefit of fast travel, so when going from quest area to quest area you're forced to sit there and endure the wait of travel. This can take anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes REAL TIME depending on distance. Even IF you can fast travel, the load times are so bad that often they're not much better than waiting for the driving. After about 10 hours I realized I was waiting far more often than I was playing so I started using Chocobos instead of driving - but that's about the same, as Chocobos have most of the same design limitations as the car except they can go offroad. When riding a Chocobo, you can basically move forward and sprint. So instead of waiting to drive, you're just holding R2 to make the Chocobo run. I would say that of my total 30 hours played thus far, a good third of that - maybe more - has been spent waiting either at load screens or in transit.

Sound: The soundtrack is so utterly forgettable that I find myself purposely listening to the overworld music from every other FF game via the car "radio".

It's playable, and enjoyable for a while at first, but then it devolves into a boring waiting simulator with rote combat and a convoluted story (unless you've watched the corresponding media outside of the game). Sq-Enix tried copying the western RPG style and it's clear this is just a pale imitation.

One final note: NO ONE has made fishing an enjoyable side game. Outside of the arcadey Sega Bass Fishing, every attempt has been boring and tiresome. There's a reason fishing been extremely maligned within the World of Warcraft community and it's no better here. Game devs, stop trying to make fishing a fun side game that always devolves into boring QTE crapfests.
  4. Jan 18, 2017
    I am saddened, I loved the FF but this title is even more of a tarnish on the series than XIII was. I like the combat system and the open world. But the story is so thin and empty and the sidequest are useless filler.
  5. Mar 10, 2017
    Start is not bad, vizuals looks good , combat cool, but when i player more and more game ale worse and worse. I stopped played at XIII. chapter. FF XV is crazy mix open word game with bored corridor missions (chapters) ..
  6. Feb 22, 2017
    A chaotic and confused mess. Everything from the story to the combat system is poor - clearly the result of many half-finished systems being glued together in an effort to get something out the door after 10 years of Square doing god only know what. Tedious repetitive combat with very little tactics involved, a gorgeous but uninteresting open world and let's not talk about the hideousA chaotic and confused mess. Everything from the story to the combat system is poor - clearly the result of many half-finished systems being glued together in an effort to get something out the door after 10 years of Square doing god only know what. Tedious repetitive combat with very little tactics involved, a gorgeous but uninteresting open world and let's not talk about the hideous Chapter 13......

It may end up being a decent game in a year after Square are finished patching it but for now stay away.
  7. Dec 2, 2016
    As someone who has played Final Fantasy games since the 80s, I, like many others, have a soft spot in my heart for Square Enix games. Unfortunately, there are some serious issues within the company, as you can plainly tell after playing FFXV. They obviously didn't learn anything from the catastrophic failure of FFXIV before they "fixed it" (it's still not great, btw).

First off, let's

First off, let's talk about the absolutely dreadful characters. A bunch of emo-looking, leather clad JPOP models running through the desert wearing leather. Is this a joke? Oh, and one has a British accent?! Come on, Japan. Seriously.

Also, the combat system is f***ing terrible. And yes, I know a lot of people like it, but a lot of people like black coffee too. Are they wrong? Yes. Yes they are. You can't tell who/what you are targeting half the time. Your "buddies" are all over the place doing god knows what and it's a huge cluster f*** until everything is dead. Sure, you can "give orders" and all that, but it's still a failure of a combat system. Set it to "wait" mode and it gets slightly better, but not much.

The graphics are ok, but it reeks of an outdated game model that actually got the green light. Save your money until the price drops. I'm already over it and haven't even left the main area. BTW, my 15 year old daughter hates it too, so it's not just a generation gap thing.

Square Enix, it's time you fired whoever it is over there that makes these horrible decisions. Swallow your "Japanese pride" and start making games that don't suck. We're all about done with your antics.
  8. Jan 24, 2017
    Bad combat with little to no input (hold down circle and do nothing else) besides throw a "grenade" spell every now and then, story makes no sense and is incomplete unless you watch animes and movies that cost money (that are terrible btw)

This is what 10+ years of constant reimagining of a rpg will do, give you a inconsistent broken mess that pleases no one except the fanatical fanboy (but what doesnt please weird people like that?)

As a real FF fan who grew up with the Final Fantasy series stay far away or rent the game if you are curious just how low this legendary franchise has fallen thanks to the industries obsession with trying to reimagine franchises and fix things that are not broken, 1 extra point for the cringe worthy banter that is only their to distract you from how bad the gameplay is
  9. Dec 5, 2016
    FF15 is made up of 10% Final Fantasy, 10% Grand Theft Auto, and 80% sheer frustration.

This is a niche game. You might like it if you like things like: - reality tv shows - boy bands - emo kids - watching people take selfies - sitting in the back seat of a car for long periods of time - the cloths that bouncers wear at nightclubs - watching other people go glamping You will

This is a niche game. You might like it if you like things like:
    - reality tv shows
    - boy bands
    - emo kids
    - watching people take selfies
    - sitting in the back seat of a car for long periods of time
    - the cloths that bouncers wear at nightclubs
    - watching other people go glamping

You will likely hate FF15 if you like things like:
    - memorable characters
    - awesome art direction
    - engaging story
    - epic adventures
    - complex combat
    - final fantasy

FF15 is not a bad game, its just not a good game. In the gaming renaissance we are in, there are just so many more games worth your time. Now that I'm a little bit older, I don't have time to waste on bad games and am forced to prioritize what is truly a good game or not a good game. Sadly, this is just not.

There are some positives, but with so many negatives to counteract each.
    -The monster design is very good; but the combat has you flying around at light speed so that you cant ever really even see what you are fighting.
    -The scale of the game can get crazy, but you never really interact with the massive scale in any interesting ways.
    - A massive effort was put into the graphics, but they shine in mundane places like how fish look or the food looks. While in the car or in combat, the constant motion creates a blur that muddies the graphics. Everything is moving to fast to really enjoy anything.
    - There is live action combat, but it gets old very fast, never developing past the tutorial. In terms of live action combat, there is no denying that it is unique, but it is also the most simple combat system I've ever played in any action or RPG game.
    - The chars go against everything FF; only one playable char, only 4 people total in your party and no fantasy chars or even women.
    - There is a massive realistic world map, but most of the time you are annoyingly footslogging along or battling the games map mechanics to fast travel around. Car driving is as intricate as holding R2 or even just letting someone else drive you around. There are parts where you can control the car freely, so the mechanics are there, but they just decided to force you on a track for most of the game where you can literally just let the game play itself and go do something else.
    - Every time you go to activate something it tells you to press X. If you press X when prompted, most of the time you just jump for no reason. You have to learn to wait slowly so you don't confuse the game.
    - The story is a series of mundane quests to get to something interesting. Drive to the gas station. Walk around a town market. Pitch a tent. The side-quests are complete drivel; a mixture of fetch quests and kill quests less interesting than decade old MMOs. Feed a stray cat, go buy a tomato or a million quests to go click on a dot on the ground and then return.
    - The voice acting is not bad and very deep but the context is just not engaging. "Hey bro - you mad bro?". Its hour after hour of some emo kids having a bro-down. Also most of the time the lips dont match up so it's like watching a dubbed movie.
    - The character design is the worst in the series history. Not a single interesting protagonist or antagonist to be found. In order to make up for the lackluster char design, they threw in inappropriate cleavage and schoolgirl outfits as a consolation prize. enjoy.

For those of us old enough, we remember FF7 and how it changed gaming forever, and a few later games that rode its legacy before the key devs had to retire and the games started being made by people who definitely never played the games that made the franchise what it is. Hoping that the next Final Fantasy will be great is like hoping to find good television when you turn on MTV. There was once an era for Final Fantasy, that era is long dead. There are more sad spin-offs and miserable failures to its name than successes, most of them trying to ride the fumes of nostalgia. This new game ties in some ideas from Grand Theft Auto in an attempt to reinvigorate the series for a new generation. Unfortunately the devs clearly don't understand what makes FF or GTA great.

If they titled this game correctly "Final Fantasy: Cool Car Bro-down Extreme" then it would deserve a consolation 7/10 for a nice first attempt at a new genre despite a plethora of flaws. For the audacity of them making this a staple Final Fantasy game to stand with the likes of 7,8,10,&12 - it gets a 1/10.

This game is selling well so it may not be the "final" fantasy, but it sure is for me. RIP
  10. Jan 2, 2017
    I'll give this game a 1 simply because it provides you with 30+ hours of content. Unfortunately, the content is awful and it's a chore to play through. I don't want to go into detail as there are already great posts talking about the game, but I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone. Second worse FF game next to FFXIII.
  11. Nov 29, 2016
    They cut out one of the main features of Final Fantasy which is the ability to play as multiple characters from a party. Instead, we are forced to play as a single character named Noctis who happens to be a cliche wrist cutting emo boy for the whole game. Furthermore, the supporting cast is abysmal to say the least. For example, I thought there would be more to Prompto than meets the eye,They cut out one of the main features of Final Fantasy which is the ability to play as multiple characters from a party. Instead, we are forced to play as a single character named Noctis who happens to be a cliche wrist cutting emo boy for the whole game. Furthermore, the supporting cast is abysmal to say the least. For example, I thought there would be more to Prompto than meets the eye, but no for the entirety of the experience this clown does not develop any further than being the comic relief he was intially. Cliche is the word I would use for the characters and the main story.

Now you would think that atleast they would add the option to customize Noctis' outfits into somewhat less emo boy. BUT NO, there are almost no other outfits you can have Noctis wear so you are basically stuck staring at cutter boy outfit for the whole game. I guess they're saving that for FUTURE DLC YAY!

And don't get me started on the sub-par gameplay. Sure, there are some genuinely innovative mechanics such as the ability to change weapons mid-combat. HOWEVER, you spend most of the time just holding square to attack and do combos. 10 years of development only to hold 1 button till you win? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Also certain mechanics have been made WORSE than before like the summons, for example. You spend an hour trying to get a new summon to use in a big battle but guess what? YOU CAN'T USE THEM IN THAT BATTLE. For some stupid reason summons are banned from certain battles. Like what were they thinking?? This genuinely frustrated me a number of times.

Moreover, the ability aquisition system is broken too there are too many abilities yet too little points to acquire them. It esentially forces you to grind for hours to get the abilities you want.

Also, what's up with the sexism in this game? Most of the women dress like complete trash and the rest act like helpless damsels in distress. Oh and did I mention you can't play as a single female character in this game? If you thought you would encounter a strong female character like in previous Final Fantasy games then don't expect that from this game.

Finally, the open world itself is good. There is a lot of side content to discover and the side quests have good variety. I was genuinely surprised when I beat a dungeon I thought was typical only to find it held more secrets inside than I expected. It kept me curious and motivated to explore more. This is the best aspect of the game and its better than other recent Final Fantasy games in that regard ONLY. Overall, I would say that I came for the story and gameplay that was hyped up to be different but that disappointed me and I ended up staying for its world instead.
  12. Nov 29, 2016
    Fun game with great atmosphere and characters. It's at the same time not your classic Final Fantasy game, but still keeps a true Final Fantasy feel to it. It also has a large open world areas which can sometimes work against it though since long travel times can sometimes be a little dull. Overall a great game though well worth playing.
  13. Dec 13, 2016
    The biggest complaints to this game are utter **** and for one main reason. You can apply them to every other game in the series. Final Fantasy XV is a Final Fantasy game through and through, and what people don't realize is that what they want isn't Final Fantasy. Already people have hit the "This review is garbage" button and moved on, and they're in what we call denial.

Let's start

Let's start with these gripes people have. "There's long stretches of going to a mission objective with nothing in between!" Much like the old games, where going from town to town was nothing except random encounters. Those encounters are still here, if you go on foot you will find them, if you drive at night they will find you.

"The cast are a bunch of emo boys, and there's no variety between them! Old games had men and women and non human characters sometimes." Yes, and no. Final Fantasy V featured a cast with ONE male protagonist and 3 females. Final Fantasy 1 didn't have genders at all, and neither did the original FF 3. (Not 6, the original class based Final Fantasy 3.) 1 and 3 also featured characters with literally NO personality, no story, and it wasn't until the remake of 3 that we got that. So in terms of "blandest" protagonists ever, 15 is still a cut above several entries in the series. And the emo boy look started with Cloud, and you loved it, now you hate, because you aren't twelve and have taste, but nostalgia goggles at popular this year.

"Well, the side quests don't have any story content to them. You basically go to a place, fight a monster, and go back. BORING!" Like Monster Hunter, like Elder Scrolls, like The Witcher, all high valued games. But let's take this in terms of Final Fantasy. ... Before 7 were there even side quests? I think there were a few in 6, but before that even if there was a side quest it was getting a summon or an item that certainly wasn't important to the plot. That's the definition of a side quest. And while the ones in 15 might not have much of a story, if at all, they make sense. Hunting monsters is what the detachment of fighters the majority of your party is made up of DOES. You basically just said, "Why are the soldiers fighting a war? That's stupid." And they even point out VERY early on that the all black "Emo" look is regulation uniforms. They're stupid, I'll give you that right now, it's very dumb that the king said "I want my soldiers to dress up like the Backstreet Boys!" but if that's the universe that's the universe.

"The battles are so terrible though! Even if the hunts make sense the combat is just holding one button. You can do this with your eyes shut!" And if you played every other FF game right, you can win by holding down X. Yes, it's true. I know, take a deep breath. Final Fantasy by the very nature of a JRPG means that winning battles can come down entirely to being beefy. Do you think it's more tactical to select a skill and watch it happen, as opposed to having to time the use of the skill so it doesn't miss? Final Fantasy used to be pure numbers, it was all luck or grinding. FFXV removes a good chunk of that, and I can tell you right now that it does because I took down a level 30 Iron Giant at LEVEL TEN. Why? Because I strategized. I picked good magic, I built meter, I hit it with its weakness, warped out, used Gladiolus' special, warped in, hit it again, chained, rinse repeat. It was far more involved and tactical than, "Oh, a horde of monsters. *Summon Titan to deal 3000 damage to all of them* Oh, I won."

And the story, every Final Fantasy gets weird at the end. If you don't think they do, rewatch the scenes on Youtube. Skip the gameplay, watch the scenes. So we're going to fight Sephiroth, who is this super solider, that's actually a genetic modified human from a petrified ancient, who now wants to destroy the world. Yeah, that makes complete perfect sense, totally not utter nonsense that you have to set aside disbelief to follow. How about Final Fantasy V? Where a tree with evil spirits turned into an evil warlock that wants to swallow the world into the void by smashing some magic crystals? Yeah, perfect sense. ... They're all slightly nonsensical, and at least FFXV has promised to help clear up a lot of the story, so benefit of the doubt until then.

Overall, the game is a much needed breath of fresh air, even if it's not perfect. It has flaws, the combat can get VERY tedious, especially when you just want to complete a side quest, without fighting a bunch of wolves that are far below your level, or enemies spawning in front of your car at night when you're just trying to spend EXP. And the quips DO get boring and nerve wracking after a while, but 12 and 13 had both of those problems, in a sense. It's inherent in all video games. It's silly to think that FFXV was going to solve long standing issues with the medium. What it did do however is update the Final Fantasy formula into something modern. If you don't like that, that's fine, but it's not bad.
  14. Apr 17, 2017
    The PS1 era Final Fantasy titles remain amongst my favourite experiences in gaming and, while this latest entry in the series isn’t quite up to those standards, it’s certainly an improvement over some of the rather forgettable recent efforts.

In terms of story the attempts to create a sort of “brotherhood” amongst the four main characters will help to give players more of an investment in their party than they perhaps did in Final Fantasy XII or XIII but, to be honest, the characters still aren’t as memorable as those from the PS1 days and the plot becomes a bit of a mess by the end. The open world itself however is the most full realised in the series yet and, as well as looking great, it offers plenty of variety with its story missions and side quests. Yes, too many of those side quests are simple “fetch quests” and best just ignored, but activities such as monster hunting, chocobo racing and fishing are good fun. On a side note, and this is a criticism of open world games in general rather than Final Fantasy XV in particular, why do characters giving out side quests just stand in the same position for however long it takes you to get back to them? (One guy waited by his car in the middle of nowhere for 2 weeks until I brought him a repair kit to fix it!)

Those that have been following the series will know that it has increasingly moved away from traditional turn based combat, something which does seem to have split fans. Personally I don’t have a problem with updating the old school RPG combat (did anyone actually like random battles?) as long as what replaces it is good and the combat here is pretty enjoyable, arguably even bordering on excellent at times. It certainly takes a bit of getting used to but, once you get a handle on it, it does prove to be suitably deep with a large selection of weapons and special moves available to tackle the enemies which all have different strengths and weaknesses to counter. The only real issue for me in the end was that the camera was pretty poor at giving you a decent view of the action when you’re fighting in more confined spaces or when you get surrounded by large groups of enemies, you can manually move the camera, but getting it in the right place in the heat of battle isn’t exactly easy.

There are a few other minor issues, such as relatively long loading times when “fast travelling” or car journeys that require you to just sit and watch as a passenger for periods of up to 5 minutes, but these are easily overlooked as they don’t really spoil the overall quality of the game.

To sum everything up Final Fantasy XV is a good game that will appeal to most fans of the genre, thanks to a few design decisions and camera issues that affect any combat in confined spaces however, it falls short of being considered an all-time classic in the way that some of the earlier entries in the series are.
  15. Dec 20, 2016
    This game was really painful to complete, esp. from Chapter 13 on. The only thing I really enjoyed about this game was being able to listen to the great soundtracks from previous Final Fantasy games while staring at the screen as the Regalia cruised around, only hoping to recoup the AP I spend on this and that.

The combat was often a complete disaster in which I couldn't see where the

The combat was often a complete disaster in which I couldn't see where the enemy was -- the camera controls in the Wait Mode were often impossible. The only challenging fights were gimmicked -- you had to use a summon to win the fight. The price was also far too high for the quality of the gameplay.

(For context, I completed the game before the first update & got 78% of the trophies.)
  16. Dec 10, 2016
    great game, cannot wait till the DLCs.

The villian was a bit too hateable but other than that everything is peachy, went with the black choker HP regen build and can spam 4x royal weapons set up for days on end.
  17. Dec 22, 2016
    The story is terrible nothing happens for 10 chapters then you suddenly have finished the game, combat system is made in the 90' and it's not a RPG at all, magic is boring and a complete waste of time.

Everything that you loved about all the old good FF is not in this game.
  18. Nov 29, 2016
    FINAL FANTASY XV is a game that has everything to make you happy. It has a open world, but also, has many linear moments due to story, and the story is VERY good at all. Escaping the flames of war, Noctis epic journey with his best friends is very real and deep. The battle system is so good and the game has the best dungeons in all FF series. I loved Princess Luna, she is so cute and strong.
  19. Nov 29, 2016
    Final Fantasy in name only. After 10 years of work, nothing was delivered other than disappointment.
    One good thing was the combat, but just like other FF games it does get repetitive. Everything else just falls flat.... characters, story, visuals... nothing felt special. I will continue with it but not holding out for much hope at this stage.

What a let down.
  20. Dec 12, 2016
    I feel insulted as a fan of series by the design, quality of execution and incoherency in tone of this game. If there is a paid service to remove my memory of knowing this game I would pay without hesitation, and preserve my love for the true FF games.
  21. Dec 4, 2016
    I just finished the game. its not the best FF we ever got, but it is a game worthy of its name.
    Gameplay-wise, nearly perfect.
    The story by itself is extremly great, the story-telling not so much.
    I will rate it 10/10, because of all these salty 0/10 reviews from PC-Gamers and Haters.
    i would give it 87/100.
  22. Nov 29, 2016
    Final Fantasy FXV is a return to form and will surelly make people who were disapointed whit XIII and aven XII happy.....I knew Square picked up the pace afther playing XIV and the expansion heavensward and I'm glad I was correct
  23. Mar 15, 2017
    I'm new to Final Fantasy, but I agree with the majority of folks. This game feels like it was meant to be a lot bigger than it is, and it has a lot of little details that you can tell were meant to be expanded upon, but then they got bored of the whole thing and decided just to release it. The first half of the game is a solid 8/10, the second half is a 5/10, so I'll compromise and give itI'm new to Final Fantasy, but I agree with the majority of folks. This game feels like it was meant to be a lot bigger than it is, and it has a lot of little details that you can tell were meant to be expanded upon, but then they got bored of the whole thing and decided just to release it. The first half of the game is a solid 8/10, the second half is a 5/10, so I'll compromise and give it a 6.5, rounded up to 7 for the fun I did have in the first half. Worth picking up used for $20 when it gets that low or borrowing from a friend, but not more than that. Expand
  24. Jan 22, 2017
    The first 2 thirds of this game are really fun.

The first 2 thirds of this game are really fun.

The graphics are great, the world looks really good. It is probably too big if anything, you spend a lot of time driving around (on autopilot) and the rest of the time running or riding chocobos, but the world lacks interaction. Where once random encounters with the screen shattering or warping where annoying, now you hardly see any enemies at all.

So the first two thirds you explore this world and do some storyline and some monster hunts which are generally fun. But the side quests are unimaginative to say the least. You are an errand boy doing things even the quest writers in vanilla WoW would have thought twice about giving level 1's. And you are the Prince of a kingdom who can teleport around the battlefield.

Speaking of battlefield, the combat is OK. If you get in an area with bushes or trees though, prepare to be frustrated by not being able to see anything at all. You control one guy and whilst you can do combo's with your 3 friends, kind of like old limit breaks, at least two of them only seem to be there to get killed.

So all this is OK, pretty fun really. Then the whole game crashes into a wall, air bags fail, the story line rolls out of the wreckage and staggers across the finishing line. Without spoiling it too much, the open world element completely disappears and never returns, unless you count a ludicrous time travel gimmick.

After you finish the game you are offered the chance to continue, but to me this felt completely hollow after the terrible final third. The ending attempts desperately to add some kind of depth or anguish to the nonsense that preceded it but it is just the terrible tasting, odd looking cherry on top. A total mess, almost as bad as Mass Effect 3, and to the point where a second playthrough, which I would normally do with a game like this, is completely ruined.
  25. Dec 4, 2016
    As always, too many people write reviews on the day of launch. I've been playing this game for a lot of hours and it is absolutely fascinating. Yes, the characters are dumb and the dialogue is not the smartest one out there. Yet the battle system is worth it, the world feels (mostly) truly open and the quests are fulfilling and entertaining. It has the best elements of several FinalAs always, too many people write reviews on the day of launch. I've been playing this game for a lot of hours and it is absolutely fascinating. Yes, the characters are dumb and the dialogue is not the smartest one out there. Yet the battle system is worth it, the world feels (mostly) truly open and the quests are fulfilling and entertaining. It has the best elements of several Final Fantasies, a lot of fan service and, in the end, it delivers. 9/10 Expand
  26. Apr 24, 2017
    What a horrible experience... and they call this for fans and first time players??? Frameskips through the whole game, terrible Depth of Field, and the battle system.... oh my god it's horrible. Please do what other software developers are doing and go BACK TO THE ROOTS. Glad I bought it used to SE doesnt profit from my buy. Persona 9/10, FF15 4/10. Compared to this bullcrap FF13 is GOTYWhat a horrible experience... and they call this for fans and first time players??? Frameskips through the whole game, terrible Depth of Field, and the battle system.... oh my god it's horrible. Please do what other software developers are doing and go BACK TO THE ROOTS. Glad I bought it used to SE doesnt profit from my buy. Persona 9/10, FF15 4/10. Compared to this bullcrap FF13 is GOTY material. Expand
  27. Dec 1, 2016
    It is not Final Fantasy, even it play as a masterpiece.
    To young generation, it might be a nice move in marketing, however, I am the player who have played FF series since the first copy of FF. Love it still, but ff15 cannot touch me anymore. If that what Square Enix want to, I should sadly say, well done, this is a fun game, but I am not your fan anymore
  28. Dec 2, 2016
    I rated this game earlier a 5/10 and I'm new to the franchise. But I just finished playing with 10 hours and I'm annoyed as hell with the bugs and stupid things that I have to rate it a 0.

If witcher 3 never came out this might be an great game however this game tries to take a couple things from the witcher 3 game but fails miserably. The travel system in this game is god awful,

The travel system in this game is god awful, worse than witcher. The car system is so retarded. You can kinda drive the car "manually it's called" which means steer left/right, brake and accelerate. If you dinge something with the car, it will suffer massive damage and cost you 500 credits to get it repaired. You can't go offroad or anywhere. Secondly if you set ignii to drive somewhere on auto and you haven't been there ever get ready to wait 10 minutes straight to get there.
    But WAIT!. If say he's driving there and suddenly it turns into night time, guess what. The idiot will stop the car and tell you it's better if you return back to camp/post to sleep the night because it's dangerous. So this means teleporting back to where you started from 8-10 minutes earlier.
    But wait, there's more, say you want to force through the night and try driving manually, if a monster shows up on the road the car will either A) automatically U turn or B) stop and kick everyone from the car forcing you to fight the insane damage daemon that will kill you.
    All in all you'll spend endless hours just driving to places.

Now in the game you have to collect these swords from dungeons for nocti, these dungeons are ridiculous, they are extremely confusing to get around inside. The minimap is no help and the big map is even more confusing. Get ready to waste 2 hours inside an ice cave back tracking 50 times to find the damn sword piece.

Another problem is the glitchy quests, there's this one quest I went to, to supposedly mine something. Guess what I get spammed with airships for 30 minutes straight. Sure I get a lot of xp but there is no item at the spot to mine, it just spawns 10 ai every couple seconds.

The camera is absurd, it's extremely delayed behind the combat and motion. You'll be facing the wrong way 90% of the time during combat.

I am new to final fantasy so I am rating this based on how happy this game made me. In the beginning I rated it a 5 because for a while I could overlook most of these game breaking designs and bugs but I've had enough of this crap. Wish they would fix all this as overall the story is great, characters are good and it could really be an amazing game.
  29. Nov 30, 2016
    Hail to the King, Final Fantasy is back. The core systems are so solid, the combat explosive and cinematic, the characters so lifelike (Naughty Dog levels of animation in my Final Fantasy game? woah), the writing entertaining... I can't get enough. 6 hours in after one night of playing, I can safely say that even grinding, GRINDING, is fun now. Don't let the youtube personalities andHail to the King, Final Fantasy is back. The core systems are so solid, the combat explosive and cinematic, the characters so lifelike (Naughty Dog levels of animation in my Final Fantasy game? woah), the writing entertaining... I can't get enough. 6 hours in after one night of playing, I can safely say that even grinding, GRINDING, is fun now. Don't let the youtube personalities and "game's journalists" ruin this one for you (how many of them skipped the tutorial and don't even realize you can lock onto enemies with R3? Seriously...). Love this game, find myself smiling just listening to music on the car's stereo or looking over Prompto's photos at camp each night. Can't say enough about this game. Once I get home after school, I'll be sitting in front of the TV like it's 1997 all over again. Expand
  30. Mar 24, 2017
    One of the best Final Fantasy games in a long time, however the story is a mediocre rehash of previous final fantasy games (not naming which ones to avoid spoilers). The gameplay was also held back by some clumsiness in close quarters combat. I still recommend it for final fantasy and action RPG fans, it's a solid game.
  31. Dec 3, 2016
    The tidal wave of unwarranted 10's from fanboys is expected. Anyone who gives a 10 or a 0 should just be ignored.

On topic of the game. Well, this is basically SE's interpretation of what they think westerners want. Nobody can argue that this game was most certainly not designed for the Japanese, or even traditional JRPG fans. In a nutshell, it's a graphical tech demo, not a

In a nutshell, it's a graphical tech demo, not a game. The "game" elements are about as shallow and non existent as you can get. I simply can't believe the sunshine that people are blowing up this worthless pile of trash's butt.
  32. Dec 4, 2016
    Just finished the game, and I have to say that I got exactly what I paid for. IMO, this is one of the best RPG's ever made, easy tie with FF7. My only real complaint with the game was the part where they attempted to add horror in the game, NO! The horror was really bad because they relied on the classic dark area with several jump scares. Very annoying.
  33. Jan 28, 2017
    combat system is in depth and entertaining. I do not like however that the attack button and the run button are the same because if you are under-leveled you can waste magic you may need to win. world feels massive because the car you are given rides on rails only going left and right and on a set path. story is not the best in a final fantasy but its cute eccentricities like having to paycombat system is in depth and entertaining. I do not like however that the attack button and the run button are the same because if you are under-leveled you can waste magic you may need to win. world feels massive because the car you are given rides on rails only going left and right and on a set path. story is not the best in a final fantasy but its cute eccentricities like having to pay your way because you don't have enough money to pay the auto mechanic are neat. A cute southern girl mechanic who seems to be from an era completely out of time is a cute concept. It's easy to get immersed because the source material is the real world. Expand
  34. Jan 28, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final Fantasy XV is the best FF in recent years, and the most controversial. It's also a mish-mash of older projects, namely FF Versus 13 melded with new narratives that changes the game in a radical way. It starts of too slow, yet strangely you'll get used to the grinding, traveling, camping and dining that makes up its Open World. That changes after Mission 9, where the game became this super linear affair, reminiscent of the Uncharted series more than anything else. It changes tone again on Mission 13 to what is akin to an interpretation of survival horror (?). Before ending again in a glorious final boss(es), filled with screen filling effect and QTE galore. There's too many hands on deck for sure during its decade long production, and it shows...yet the quest of Noctis and co are so enganging at times, so beautifully presented that you'll want to stay for a very long time in this world. Expand
  35. Mar 27, 2017
    un buen videojuego podria ser mejor pero creo que despues de el eterno tiempo de juego decidiron sacarlo incompeto pero siguen trabajando para solucionar los problemas con actualisaciones.
  36. Nov 30, 2016
    Not a bad game, but still a bad Final Fantasy. Combat system is boring, characters are so flat that I have absolutley no connection with them and I don't care about what happening with them.
    8/10 as a game
    4/10 as Final Fantasy
    Overall 6/10
  37. Dec 11, 2016
    **** gartbage, the tutorial alone made me want to rage quit, the **** ass tutorial if **** visual aids, the fact that i was super frustrated 30 seconds into the game should speak volumes on the **** square enix abortion fluid rejects that wrote this. MOTHER**** CANCER, the tutorial will give you **** AIDS , and you will die a horrible death trying to understand these stupid **** tutorial.
  38. Nov 29, 2016
    Final fantasy xv is by far the best game in the long running series in years. FF13 was junk, but 15 is everything i hoped for and much more. The game isnt perfect but after being in development for 10 years the work has paid off. Ive been playing ff games since the Nes days and im happy with ff15 is truly a masterpiece.
  39. Dec 16, 2016
    A literal dream come true for some Final Fantasy fans, FF XV comes with alot of anticipation as we've waited about 10 years for this game to become a reality. And while the majority of the game succeeds in being a truly great FF game, it's severely hampered by the story and by some very unimpressive quests that are in the game.
    The elephant in the room is the story and how almost
    The elephant in the room is the story and how almost unfinished it is at certain parts. The beginning is almost completely taken out of the game and put into the anime that follows along with the game. The middle portion suffers from little to no explanation about why certain things are happening and what is, frankly, going on half the time. I would constantly say to myself "why is this character here and what are they doing?" as very little is actually explained, even with some of the more important characters in the game. Square has said they are going to add additional cutscenes to the game but the damage is already done, especially since the game was already pushed back to fix the issues they saw with it. Throw in the very odd horror level late in the game that just dragged on for way to long and you have a recipe for disaster.
    It's a shame that the story is terrible as Noctis and his crew are very good characters and their interactions are one of the best parts of the game. Even the smaller side characters are memorable and the game really made you feel for them. And the combat system is one of the better ones I've played in an RPG in a long time, if you like Action RPG style games. For more traditional fans, the turn based mechanic has been taken out completely, with only a "wait" timer having been added so you can scan enemies and plan your attack. I personally loved the new system and I hope they build off of it for the future.
    At the end of the day, the game doesn't live up to the hype that people built for it. Especially after the last delay, to see a story as poorly done as this is truly pathetic in my book. And it's a shame as the final area is full of really cool monsters and the final bosses are very fun to fight. I frankly had no idea, beyond the general "kill the bad guy" objective, as to why we were there and what we were doing. And the game never does anything to clarify itself as to what is going on. The story feels incomplete and I can't recommend it to anyone till that point. My score is from the combat system and the wonderful characters that are in this awful set piece. They were enough to carry it for me to completion. However I have zero interest in going back into the game now. Between the really bad fetch quests that plague the open world, to the promise that they will add more cutscenes, it doesn't do enough to keep my interest. The game is both very enjoyable and almost unplayable at the same time for me and that is enough to make me finished with it for good unless something drastic were to happen.
    For anyone on the fence, wait for the next big cutscene addition to enjoy the game. You, frankly, won't get what you're supposed to out of the copy that is currently being sold in stores.
  40. Dec 4, 2016
    I've put in 30 hours so far, and about halfway through the story. Therefore, the 2nd half may not be as good as the first game in my view; however, to my knowledge the biggest flaw with the 2nd half is it's more on the rails without the open world aspect. That said, the open world is so diverse and fun, then the only issue is you may not be able to explore it much during certain storyI've put in 30 hours so far, and about halfway through the story. Therefore, the 2nd half may not be as good as the first game in my view; however, to my knowledge the biggest flaw with the 2nd half is it's more on the rails without the open world aspect. That said, the open world is so diverse and fun, then the only issue is you may not be able to explore it much during certain story aspects. Nothing wrong with it, but handcuffs at times is a little annoying, and the only flaw that bothers me. The other flaw is the story/lore for the fact you need to go outside the game to know it all. In fact, the main story is the prince and his 3 friends traveling around during a crisis, and slowly built up your powers. The back story with the kingdom, crystal, and the empire is mostly explain in the movies or elsewhere. Nothing entirely wrong with that, but I wish there was more backstory explained here.

Otherwise, the game is great. I really enjoyed the real time action combat, which may turn a few off; however, I think it works well. It's very exciting, and for a JRPG in general, then I don't get annoyed at all with random encounters. I only mention this aspect is at times I get a little annoyed when you have an encounter ever 10 steps in a cave when you are just passing by. The combat and open world is where the vast majority of the game shines. The environment is diverse from desert to mountain forests. If anything it feels like the Western US from the desert to the Pacific Northwest, and you have stops with diners and hotels. My only real complaint with the open world is 90% of the diners are the same. Nothing wrong with the interior by any means, and it's a "chain" of sorts, but they should have more then 3 food options at most diners. Especially when one to two options cost almost 2,000 gild. Considering for a while you may only have 10,000 gild at most for the first 10 hours, then it isn't worth it.

Finally there are a lot of side quests. Now many side quests are repetitive in nature by grabbing something, or going on hunts for money and good items like Megaelixers which are very helpful. Normally I would get burned out, but after 30 hours I haven't because of the combat and world. That is what draws me in is the world and combat. It may not work for everyone, but thankfully they made the story accessible in which you don't have to grind for days to finish it. Overall this is a great entry for the Final Fantasy line, and it redeems the series as a new chapter and direction that works. I don't hate 13, or the MMO 14 when it was relaunch, but it has issues and controversy. Now this game won't be perfect, or great in everyone's eyes, but I believe it saved the series.
  41. Nov 29, 2016
    Excellent, excellent, excellent! From the soundtrack, to the breathtaking visuals, gameplay, and story. This is a modern JRPG to be proud of. The series is always imaginative, with this entry being no less. This is a quality product from Square Enix, congrats!
  42. Jan 12, 2017
    The combat system is incomprehensible to me, everything happens too fast and feels overly chaotic. I don't feel like I am making choices or that i have any ability to control the combat. I don't see how the game has as good a score as it does. It irks me to no end that I have to manually control the camera.

I loved the early final fantasy games. I hoped to get back into them with this

I loved the early final fantasy games. I hoped to get back into them with this title... that didn't happen.

P.S. I am amazed to see it included on many of the best games of 2016 lists and laugh to see No Man's Sky included on all the same lists.
  43. Dec 3, 2016
    what a buggy hell of a mess.... not just the jaw dropping amount of bugs the character design is bad and camera is basically broken for all boss fights. some design choices feel like they are punishing players on purpose.. what happened??????
  44. Dec 18, 2016
    Don't let the 10 years of development hell scare you: this game is amazing! Although the narrative gets a bit weird and the camera might get bumpy in narrow spaces, the characters are charismatic enough to overcome this and so is the finely tuned gameplay. Final Fantasy XV is an amazing experience, one that kept me come back for more. It is worth every year of delay.
  45. Feb 17, 2017
    I`m extremely disappointed with FFXV and Square- enix. I am not going to expect for anything from the next Final Fantasy. A good game (beautiful world, dungeons, long and great combat) but the story is very badly counted and it is very short. I feel defrauded after seeing all the trailers that I saw from FFXV not Versus.
  46. Dec 8, 2016
    Not great tbh. Played for 40hrs waiting for it the get exciting but in vain. The so called side quests are awful. Lack decent fast travel, average graphics and really boring simplistic combat. Also the music when ur riding the bird is so annoying. It's an average game so it deserves a big dirty 6/10
  47. Dec 14, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just don't get where everyones coming from. I've beat every numbered ff game sans 11, 12 and 14.
    FF15 isnt a bad game but man is it medicore. Its probably one of the most disopointing meh games in the series.

First lets address the ps4 version.

The ps4 version offers a crisper picture coming in at a locked 1080p. The game hits and stays at 30fps. There is sometimes a oddity in jerky animations but i'd say this is unnnoticable to most normal peoples eyes. The ps4 version has less issues with texture pop in than the xbox one version.

The xbox version runs a 720p to 900p. When the games running at 900p things look pretty much as solid as the ps4 version however, its running in 720p the vast majority of the time and honestly the picture looks soft and blurry as hell. The xbox version suffers from textures pop in and not loading fast enough a lot. This happens when theres not enough free space on the HDD. It has to load so much data that if the ff15 data isnt on the outer quicker part of the HDD then it cant load fast enough to keep up with the textures.

I've got 67 hours on the xbox one version and my friend has 200 hours on the ps4 version with everything complete. I myself on xbox only have 90% of the achivements and tons of pointless bland quest to do. He has literally every single quest, hunt, etc to include the bonus dugeons.

It shys away from the strong story telling of previous games to have a paper thin, poorly wrote, awfully explained and pretty much flaws flat on its face with its lack of depth. You build absolutely no emotion connection with luna.

Its a technical mess, glitches amass. Popin, textures loading awfully, the game having load times that make the neogeo cd look like lighting comparitly. Aimless pointless traveling thats early to mask loading issues. Games crashed on me 3 times my friends have all had it at least crash once. Im talking about just serious bugs everywhere. This isnt being repoarted from someone whos put 6 to 30 hours into the game.

The battle system lacks any depth. Its mostly just hold b. The magic system is junk feels like a after thought. The skill tree is **** Things costing 333 and above will simply almost never get bought. You'll be max level and no where near the ap you need for anything. Most of the skills you will soon realize are useless and not thought out. Especially all the ones to enhance the ammount of AP you get. They cost so much that they negate anything wasted into them.

The graphics are all over the place. Some times looking like a last gen game and not even a good one to the next minute blowing your mind.

Hallow gameplay. Most of the game is the same damn quest over and over an over. If I wanted that i'd play a western rpg. I want my quest to have real uniqueness with a story to drive them. I've literally fixed the same guys car like 3 times. The hunts have no meaning except exp. This game is literally Fetchquest Fantasy 15.

Dialog repeatition. They're trying to build up your emotional bond and people seem so captivated by this hallow experience. You're out of unique dialog or any building of bonds by around 7 hours into the game.

If you dont want a story and you want questing and you dont even want a final fantasy or anything that resembles a final fantasy maybe you'll enjoy this. This is clearly the mind of western rpg or mmo mentality spilling into a single player game.

To each his own but, the over whelming positivity and hype for this game is baffling. I've yet to meet a single person who likes the game in person and it seems to just be an online presence of this over hyping.
  48. Nov 29, 2016
    Great game!!!Critics do not understand what it is about!!Ok it has some câmera problems, but they will correct that!!!! Enjoying a lot, it has everything a final fantasy game should have, its fan to play, all the hunting missions are good, and remind me a lot of Final Fantasy 12!!!
  49. Nov 29, 2016
    Finally another true final fantasy game.
    this game has soooooo much detail in every little aspect. Character animations are amazing.
    Finally another true final fantasy game.
    Characters and their storytelling is awesome and make the game really immersive with small dialogs constantly. World is a masterful art piece, feels huge. Combat looked bland at first but gets more fun and diverse once you get used to the mechanics. Fishing is really fun too lol.
    A must buy!
  50. Dec 6, 2016
    At the time of writing this, I have invested 68 hours into the game. My actual number is a 9.5/10

Going into the game I had consumed the media SE wanted me to consume; Kingsglaive and Brotherhood. These did add to the world and backstory of the characters. I was able to look past some perceived character flaws because of them. Brotherhood showed me who these men were and what to expect. I never went into the game thinking something coming out of Japan wouldn't have some of their weak character tropes. I do think watching these extra pieces helped immerse me in the story.

My main little gripes were about controlling vehicles like turning the chocobo while rotating the camera or the stiffness of driving the regalia in general. The camera on bigger foes was not my favorite, but I never found myself losing because of it. I still got the job done. My third little annoyance was the repetitive dialogue in certain parts... "Talk about backseat fishing" after most casts for hours. The story pacing does change after chapter 9, sure, but you have to realize the gravity of the situation. What had just happened in Altissia. I believe it was made to send your reality crashing down around you and create a dismal view on the world in the process. As a whole I enjoyed the story and the story arc. I liked the end. The jump in time took a small leap of faith, but who knows how those crystals work?

The pros list is almost everything else in the game to me. I just came off of beating Xenoblade Chronicles, and besides the story, this game did everything better. (XC had a really fresh story that made you reconsider where you stand morally).The combat in FFXV is sublime, the world feels as big as it is, but not too big, the main fights are not difficult enough to discourage you, but are wonderful spectacles. The list goes on. From the outset of watching Brotherhood, I knew they were forging something special with these relationships. They even broke out of their respective tropes by the end. You get to see the genesis and evolution of each of them. What they say or don't say in some cases lets you in on the real information of who they are.

When I finished the story, I immediately wanted more. I dove back in and am now 23+ hours into the after-game. I want to do everything I can. I want the best weapons. I want to explore everything. I want to do every side quest (they are better and more varied in this game than most). While I was playing through this game I felt like I was playing something enormously important. I still feel that way in the after game. I can't get enough. Nothing besides the cup noodle ad took me out of it like all of these complaints I'm seeing. I went in with high expectations and somehow the game delivered to ME and exceeded them. I really hope people try this for themselves and don't just take number reviews, because it IS worth your time.

Thank you for reading.
  51. Dec 6, 2016
    I expected more from 10 years. I liked it in the start but it quickly went down hill, the side quests are MMORPGish in deapth (run there and get me this), the main story is messy and boring, I get teary-eyed from dog videos on facebook, stuff in this game meant to move you doesn't move you an inch. The battle system is messy, and spell crafting gets tiresome after a while. I had to forceI expected more from 10 years. I liked it in the start but it quickly went down hill, the side quests are MMORPGish in deapth (run there and get me this), the main story is messy and boring, I get teary-eyed from dog videos on facebook, stuff in this game meant to move you doesn't move you an inch. The battle system is messy, and spell crafting gets tiresome after a while. I had to force myself through the last half of the game.

Update: I lied, I had not cleared the game when I posted the update, but though the game could not disappoint me any more than it did, oh was I wrong. Messy story, does not move me an inch (i shed a tear over puppy videos on youtube), just a bad, bad game. I like japanese games, the Tales series are fun, I like close to cringey japanese story moments in anime and games, I like MMO quests to a certain degree, but FFXV just doesn't do it for me. The game quickly funnels into a linear nightmare towards the last quater of the game, and here the nightmarish mess that is the combat camera becomes clear. According to the amount of praise this game gets it seems I just don't like Final Fantasy any longer, my love for the franchise died with FFX.
  52. Jan 23, 2017
    FF15 is half a good game. I'd probably rate the first half at around an 8. Sure, it's flawed, but there's enough neat things going on that it's overall a slightly above average experience. The second half of the game, however, is just lazy, rushed, terrible gameplay with no redeeming qualities. You basically run through dark hallways constantly re-using the same textures and enemies byFF15 is half a good game. I'd probably rate the first half at around an 8. Sure, it's flawed, but there's enough neat things going on that it's overall a slightly above average experience. The second half of the game, however, is just lazy, rushed, terrible gameplay with no redeeming qualities. You basically run through dark hallways constantly re-using the same textures and enemies by yourself, because the MC Noctis got separated from his bros. It's not fun.

For the half of the game that is fun, it's not great, just good. You have an illusion of a big world to explore, but if you go off the beaten path for even a moment you will run into invisible walls and such. You are not meant to explore this world, but stick to the main paths. The combat, honestly, is pretty bad in comparison to some rival RPGs, so that wouldn't be a big draw to keep me interested in the game. The fishing minigame is not very well done... it just kinda... blah in most of the things it attempts to do. For instance, there's this big emphasis on the car. Is it fun to drive the car? Nope. It pretty much drives itself. SO WHY? It's my opinion that the best games have a gameplay first mindset, but this game just makes how things look the priority.

Why can't I jump on top of the hood of a car? There's an invisible wall there. Plastic lawn chairs are like cemented down, and can't be moved. The day to night cycle is so fast you can't do much before nightfall.

You know what? Actually it's not half a "good" game, it's half a mediocre one. That makes it about a 3/10 by my math. Don't buy this thing for full price.
  53. Nov 29, 2016
    Worth the wait. You'd have to be quite the cynic to not appreciate everything this game has to offer. The open world elements blend seamlessly with the jRPG aspects of the game, creating an instant classic.
  54. Dec 19, 2016
    A flawed, but ultimately great, Final Fantasy.

A flawed, but ultimately great, Final Fantasy.

I was originally going to score this a bit lower, but this has been a game that I've played more than any other that has released in the last year. Does it have some issues? Sure. Is it fun? Definitely. You can't please everyone so if you're expecting a more traditional Final Fantasy title, this probably isn't for you. But this was definitely for me.
  55. Nov 29, 2016
    I'd like to start out by saying I am one of the biggest Final Fantasy fans of all time. I've played every single FF game since its conception (including the original 6 which was 3 at the time and the original 4 which was 2 at the time) multiple times each. I've cosplayed as FF characters including Cloud, Squall, Cid, Cain, and Vivi at Comic Cons across the US. I even started a league forI'd like to start out by saying I am one of the biggest Final Fantasy fans of all time. I've played every single FF game since its conception (including the original 6 which was 3 at the time and the original 4 which was 2 at the time) multiple times each. I've cosplayed as FF characters including Cloud, Squall, Cid, Cain, and Vivi at Comic Cons across the US. I even started a league for the Triple Triad card game from FF8. So it hurts my very soul to be putting a 4/10 for this game.

Unfortunately, this game is really not a Final Fantasy game. The story is lackluster and there is no real character development as of yet (and I'm 15 hours into the main story, the half-way point). I loved all of the FF games for their stories, so to have a not-so-compelling story with little character development is a major issue. But that's not the only issue.

You only control the main character in combat, which is, again, a HUGE deviation from previous installments. Controlling only the main character makes you feel far less invested in the side characters and it really takes out a level of strategy that I liked so much in previous installments. It feels like a button masher, beat-em-up game now. Don't get me wrong, the combat IS fun and good, but it's really not a FF combat system with a depth of strategy that I've become accustomed to.

Furthermore, the game seems to have been focused on giving us the current trending gimmick of an open world. They focused so much on it that the other elements of the game mentioned above suffered because of it. Basically this game feels more like Skyrim, focusing on the open world aspects over story-driven content and strategic combat.

Don't get me wrong, Skyrim was an awesome game and one of my favorites, but if I wanted more Skyrim, I'd just play that, or the Witcher 3. When I pick up an FF game, I want exceptional story and strategic combat.

Now, the open world IS great and the combat IS fun, so that's why the game gets a 4/10 from me, but as an FF game it was greatly disappointing. Graphics are also decent, not the best they could be, but not bad at all either.

I hope this review helps some of the die hard fans of FF. If you aren't a die-hard fan, though, and you like open world and a fluid combat system then you'll most definitely like this game. In fact, if this game did not bare the FF name, and it was just some new game that Square Enix was trying out I would have given it an 8 or 9 out of10.
  56. Nov 30, 2016
    Much, much improved on the awful Final Fantasy 13, but it has many faults that stop it from becoming a classic.

First of all, the plot - a convoluted mess that somehow manages to get worse the longer you play it, which is a death knell for any sprawling RPG. Second, the characters - I'm sorry, but it doesn't matter how much you try and add layers to them, they are ultimately emo boyband members running around a field more often than not. Compare them to the classic Final Fantasy games and these cut and paste characters simply don't hold up.

Another issue is the illusion of an open world without actually being that open. It devolves into a combination of doing loads of stuff repeatedly that is essentially the same thing, or doing barely anything for a whole hour.

The good? I like the combat. Sort of. I like it more than I hate it anyway - it is fluid, often fun, but hectic and times borderline incomprehensible; simply too much stuff on the screen, taking away the tactical element and sometimes coming across as a poor version of Dynasty Warriors.

The soundtrack is also OK. Not the best in the series - probably not even top five - but competent.

But what rescues the title almost wholesale from being a disaster is the sense of an epic journey. It is a majestic example of world building around a central character, so much so that it often disguises the poor plot and lack of a 'traditional' open world, simply because you want to know what part of this world you will be led to next. It is graphically fantastic and that helps immerse you in to what is on offer.

And now we come to what actually saves the game from being around a 4 or a 5 - the boss battles. They are, in a word, awe-inspiring, and are the one section of the game where I'm glad it doesn't have turn based strategy as a combat system.

All that said, FF15 is OK. Not great, certainly not in the same league as the classics of the 90s, but solidly OK. It was sort of overhyped for what it eventually is, but you'll get fun out of it nevertheless - if you ignore the laughable plot and ridiculously bland characters.
  57. Dec 7, 2016
    Just beat the game earlier today, and I loved it =) I'm glad I took the time off from work for this game I have waited 10 years for. I won't give any spoilers here, but the ending left me sad and depressed; but also gave me a bittersweet feeling after that end of credits scene. I'm still thinking about it really... My only real issue was the lack of a few much needed cut-scene's toJust beat the game earlier today, and I loved it =) I'm glad I took the time off from work for this game I have waited 10 years for. I won't give any spoilers here, but the ending left me sad and depressed; but also gave me a bittersweet feeling after that end of credits scene. I'm still thinking about it really... My only real issue was the lack of a few much needed cut-scene's to explain what happened after Chapter 8 with a few important characters that by Chapter 13 (which mind you is a long and quite annoying chapter), you can't help but want that extra story/scene development. As of this posting though, Tabata said they will be adding scenes for the future to flesh it out more which I am quite alright with after some other peoples thoughts mirrored my own.

Overall, I give this game a 9.5+ out of 10 regardless, and quite happy with the game that I will continue to play for a long time and in the future. (It doesn't beat, story-wise my favorite FF which was X; but the combat and characters are both very excellent)

Thank You Square Enix =) I hope to see XVI before the end of this console cycle, which is unlikely with the remake of 7, which I'm very excited for as well.
  58. Dec 20, 2016
    Very few games have me still enjoying the world, characters, and combat after 100+ hours. I was a bit skeptical going in, because I'm used to my FF games as turn based, but this gives me hope for the remake for FFVII. Does it have its flaws? Certainly, what game doesn't? But the world is beautiful and more importantly it feels alive.

The bro-roadtrip feels organic due to the

The bro-roadtrip feels organic due to the camaraderie of the four the make up the main party. The variety of activities and sheer amount of content is incredible. Over 100 hunts, tons of other side-quests which don't just give gil/exp, but also do things like upgrading your car, characters, and giving you shop discounts, the pinball-ish mini-game to earn bonus items/gear, and even over 100 types of fish to catch if that's your thing, which can be used in spell creation, cooking, or just making extra gil. But most of this is entirely optional, so you can enjoy the activities you like and ignore the others that don't matter to you. (personally I've embraced it all).

Art is subjective and everyone interprets it different. I did watch the Kingsglaive movie and the Brotherhood anime before playing, so perhaps that allowed me to embrace and immerse myself into the world more easily. This is an adventure that already has so much, but definitely feels like it could have had even more. This is certainly a Final Fantasy world I wouldn't mind re-visiting again in future games, I enjoyed it that much.
  59. Dec 14, 2016
    Basically the first half of this game is amazing, but the second half is total garbage. Also the mechanics are not good when put under scrutiny. Ultimately, I had a blast with approximately half of the game, but had the worst time with the other half.
  60. Dec 19, 2016
    Five Word Review: Flaws don't ruin enjoyable JRPG.
    Favorite Thing: Love what they did with the summons, so epic.
    Least Favorite Thing: Chapter 13. People describe linear experiences as "walking down a hallway". Chapter 13 takes that way too literally.

Playtime: ~ 61h
    Enjoyment: 8/10
    Recommendation: Most definitely
  61. Dec 13, 2016
    I'm extremely disappointed with this game. My mayor gripe is with the story, you can clearly tell it's a mishmash of unfinished bits. Like they run out of time and cobbed together everything they had. Think something like the ending of SWTOR 2 but for more than half the game. I don't understand how something so glaring didn't get mentioned in the reviews. You may end up mildly enjoying theI'm extremely disappointed with this game. My mayor gripe is with the story, you can clearly tell it's a mishmash of unfinished bits. Like they run out of time and cobbed together everything they had. Think something like the ending of SWTOR 2 but for more than half the game. I don't understand how something so glaring didn't get mentioned in the reviews. You may end up mildly enjoying the story but be warned: you'll feel like some major plot points have been left out.

My second gripe is with the combat system. But maybe it's just me because a lot of people seems to enjoy it. I find it somewhat "bare". Progressing into the skill tree doesn't open up interesting new mechanics. Plus the interface is cumbersone. You can map to quick buttons 3 of you party skills but if you want to use something different in fights you have to fiddle with menues breaking up the pace of the combat. I really don't like it but i guess that's personal

Last is the open world side of the game. It's really meh. Nothing special there to see or do. Plus moving around is a royal pain in the ass. You have fast travel but only by day. If you're stuck out there by night and you don't want to rest in a camp you have to "drive" the car manually which consists in keeping a trigger pushed and watching your veichle slowing trudging toward you destination for some minutes
  62. Jan 20, 2017
    Overall Final Fantasy XV is a pretty good game here's a breakdown of my rating:

Overall Final Fantasy XV is a pretty good game here's a breakdown of my rating:

Battle System 9.5/10: The battle system is really fun. It's easy to control and it gives you much more control over your character than previous final fantasy games. It's also an improvement on the battle systems of Final Fantasy Type-0 or FFVII Crisis Core which also diverged from the typical turn-based system. That being said in certain areas inanimate objects can block the camera which is really frustrating and can make the combat difficult to control.

Graphics: 9/10 They're really solid graphics. They're not the best the ps4 could offer but they're solid. And when you consider the amount of time the game spent in development it's amazing that they're as good as they are.

Characters: 8.5/10 The main characters are interesting and after spending time doing side quests with them you get attached. The major downfall character wise is that your main party is set from the beginning and doesn't change other than the addition of three guest characters. The three guest characters are all intriguing so it's a true shame that they don't join your party or that you don't at least get to see more of them.

Soundtrack: 8/10 It's good but nothing special. The radio with all the classic FF tunes in the car is a plus.

Side Quests/Bonus Material: 8.5/10 They're fun and really help you flesh out the world. They also provide an extra challenge (in my opinion the story quests weren't that difficult.) After a while they do unfortunately get repetitive but once they do you can space them out with the main story or with different types of side quests which cuts down on monotony.

Story: 7/10 The story is intriguing but it unfortunately feels disjointed from the rest of the game. The urgency of moving on with the story is really interrupted by the freedom of the open world and the numerous side quests. The final few chapters feel much more linear (but still allow for an escape to do side quests if you wish) but unfortunately by that point it's a little too late. You're able to bond with the characters due to the dialogue they have as you run around the world but you don't really bond with them too much through the story which is a minus. Also the villain is (in my opinion) instantly identifiable.

Misc: The open world is quite beautiful and fun to explore. Driving in the car is somewhat enjoyable due to the old final fantasy soundtracks and the simple design of the world. Luckily there's fast travel in the game which is a plus because without it the long car rides would get old.

Summary: The game play is really fun, the world is beautiful and the characters are fun to meet. The odd thing about the game is that it's weak point is the story (which final fantasy games usually excel at) but everything else is so good that you're overall impression isn't tainted by the fact that the story is only pretty good. Overall Score: 8.5/10
  63. Nov 29, 2016
    Bad game, bad characters, bad secondary missions...

This is not Final fantasy
    So disappointing. 10 years to make this horrible game. Shame on square. The good times will never be back. Go play the Witcher 3 so much better than this.
  64. Nov 30, 2016
    So terrible it makes FF13 look good. There is some serious denial going on it these reviews and they should be removed for clearly being biased to the material.
  65. Dec 6, 2016
    It's not a bad game but it's not your typical FF experience. I've spent 62 hours in the open world doing all kinds of quests and whatnot, and then I traveled the sea only to find myself at the end of the game in ~5 hours. I wish the world would have been more littered with the main story-line, more cutscenes and important characters. The bad guy, and none of the other characters wereIt's not a bad game but it's not your typical FF experience. I've spent 62 hours in the open world doing all kinds of quests and whatnot, and then I traveled the sea only to find myself at the end of the game in ~5 hours. I wish the world would have been more littered with the main story-line, more cutscenes and important characters. The bad guy, and none of the other characters were built-up, they came and left too early so they become strong. I mean all the FF games had some pretty strong characters... I have very mixed feeling about it. Bottom line: this is a good game and you should play it, but don't expect FF style deep story.

I would also mention that toward the end the cutscenes and other events tent to be short and they feel like being cut-down. Some scenes made no sense and were poorly made.
  66. Apr 2, 2017
    The first half of the game seemed very promising, but after finishing the game, i realized the early content was totally meaningless. Most of the people you help don't appear in the later chapters. So it has no impact on the story at all. Most of the quests consisted of fetching vegetables for people anyway. For all I know they were being auto-generated.

The back half of the game was

The back half of the game was an unfinished mess that felt like a chore to get through. I could excuse some sloppy level design or short levels but the writing started falling apart too. Important story arcs were being resolved with a bit of dialog at the end of a fight. In one scene, an important antagonist switches to your side and then gets killed for it; all off-camera. You end up finding his body later on with a stack of correspondence explaining what happened. That is not how you tell a story,

I feel like going open world was a mistake. They could have gone with a few detailed zones and focused on the story more. Making this a trans-media production was also a bad choice. To get the full story, you needed to watch a separate movie, a series of animated shorts and play another game. The full FFXV made almost no effort to fill in those blanks. People buy these games for the story and character development.
  67. Dec 23, 2016
    Something is SERIOUSLY wrong!
    God how I wished this was a Final Fantasy game!!! It is only by name.

If you want to make a flawed action game that:
    i) steals a million ideas from many other games of various genres, however with VERY poor incorporation (cooking, fishing as MAIN SKILLS?) OR
    ii) an action RPG with some Final Fantasy momments...

WHY THE HELL CALL IT A FINAL FANTASY GAME?
  68. Dec 4, 2016
    An excellent installment in the series. While I do recommend watching the Kingsglaive film and the Brotherhood series to get a bit more out of the story, the game itself is excellent. It feels very much like FF12 with a bit of the Kingdom Hearts 2 battle system mixed in. The magic and warp strikes take some time getting used to, but the combat is very intuitive and quite fluid. This gameAn excellent installment in the series. While I do recommend watching the Kingsglaive film and the Brotherhood series to get a bit more out of the story, the game itself is excellent. It feels very much like FF12 with a bit of the Kingdom Hearts 2 battle system mixed in. The magic and warp strikes take some time getting used to, but the combat is very intuitive and quite fluid. This game was certainly worth the wait. Expand
  69. Nov 30, 2016
    Final Fantasy XV has come a long way... and I can assure you I'm not simply jumping on the bandwagon when I say it was worth the wait. While it first glance it definitely doesn't look or feel like a Final Fantasy game in the traditional sense, this game is breaking new grounds for the franchise and honestly I'm just happy that it is way better than XIII. This is a must buy if you are aFinal Fantasy XV has come a long way... and I can assure you I'm not simply jumping on the bandwagon when I say it was worth the wait. While it first glance it definitely doesn't look or feel like a Final Fantasy game in the traditional sense, this game is breaking new grounds for the franchise and honestly I'm just happy that it is way better than XIII. This is a must buy if you are a long time Final Fantasy veteran or an RPG fan that has yet to try a Final Fantasy title. Expand
  70. Feb 16, 2017
    you disappointed me FF15. i waited 10 years for you to come out and you're an average game? WTF square enix!? what the hell happened to this game? this is not the same FF15 i saw at E3 2013. important parts of the story are missing, the combat seems like it was downgraded from E3 2013 demo, the side-quests are dull basic fetch-quests they're simply "go here do this" with nothingyou disappointed me FF15. i waited 10 years for you to come out and you're an average game? WTF square enix!? what the hell happened to this game? this is not the same FF15 i saw at E3 2013. important parts of the story are missing, the combat seems like it was downgraded from E3 2013 demo, the side-quests are dull basic fetch-quests they're simply "go here do this" with nothing interesting happening. this game must have gone through some chaotic development to turn out this way. and now instead of fixing the game by doing updates to story and gameplay like they promised. square enix is now CURRENTLY releasing some stupid cup noodle helmet dlc and power ranger skins dlc **** welp this was the last time i got hyped for a final fantasy game. Expand
  71. Nov 29, 2016
    before I start this review i want to point out that there are people out there who want this game to fail, because they are blinded by their nostalgia and their love of the old games. they will will give this game a 0. any reasonable person will give it a 6 at least. I have played final fantasy 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, and 14. and this game is VERY MUCH a final fantasy game. a differentbefore I start this review i want to point out that there are people out there who want this game to fail, because they are blinded by their nostalgia and their love of the old games. they will will give this game a 0. any reasonable person will give it a 6 at least. I have played final fantasy 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, and 14. and this game is VERY MUCH a final fantasy game. a different combat system doesn't change that. turned based combat is not unique to the final fantasy series so it's not something that defines it. it still has those classic elements that this franchise is known for like chocobo's, airships, similar monsters, magic (although there could have been more spells) summons, etc. the story is good and characters are likable (more so than the characters from the 13 trilogy in my opinion). the combat has depth. it's not mindless button mashing, you actually have to think about your actions. and there's also a wait mode for those who aren't comfortable playing action games. great overall. Expand
  72. Jan 10, 2017
    This game is a disgusting excuse of a game, you do nothing is this game, all you do is walk around, seriously you spend 5 minutes walking to a place or driving to a place, to pick a mission just to walk another 5 minute to the mission location, to do a 10 sec battle and walk back. This really is every single side mission, some mission requires about 15 minutes of walking, seriously justThis game is a disgusting excuse of a game, you do nothing is this game, all you do is walk around, seriously you spend 5 minutes walking to a place or driving to a place, to pick a mission just to walk another 5 minute to the mission location, to do a 10 sec battle and walk back. This really is every single side mission, some mission requires about 15 minutes of walking, seriously just walking around. Theres no fast travel, unless your in the car and you have to walk to the car, and you cant travel at night by car, you always get stop by a demon.

this game is so bad, I can't express how much walking you have to do, its like 95% of the game is just walking, nothing else.
  73. Dec 10, 2016
    It's clear that much of what made it into FFXV was repurposed from its original intention, and as a result the story comes off disjointed and vague. The combat system is a fun, welcome change of pace, but it's also too easy - I only died once in the entire game, and that was from not realizing some random enemy was twice my level. Still, fans will find much to enjoy in this entry, fromIt's clear that much of what made it into FFXV was repurposed from its original intention, and as a result the story comes off disjointed and vague. The combat system is a fun, welcome change of pace, but it's also too easy - I only died once in the entire game, and that was from not realizing some random enemy was twice my level. Still, fans will find much to enjoy in this entry, from some beautiful music and character/creature design and a huge open world with plenty of silly things to do with your bros.

Ultimately the decision to move away from a dark tale of an angsty prince reclaiming his kingdom might have been a blessing for us all, because what we get instead is a simple meditation on friendship. It's endearing in spite of itself and I did enjoy the voice acting of the villain quite a bit. Most importantly, the colorful nature of the open world and the attention to detail show Square Enix knows how to put some heart and levity into a game, something they've been having trouble with for quite some time.

Hopefully, we get a more focused, well-rounded entry the next time around. I'm definitely still a fan through and through.
  74. Dec 3, 2016
    Why am I playing as fashion designer boys in gothic getup instead of a cool looking grizzled guys? These character designers should be fired.

Just when I thought it couldn't possibly get worse than FFXIII, I'm begging to have Lightning back as the playable character.
  75. Jan 3, 2017
    I just finished the game and i recommend to other reviewer that you finish it also if it's not done yet since the second half of the game is totally different and feels incomplete. This game is good but failed to deliver as a final fantasy game.

Here's the pros and cons : + Graphics + Addictive + Some boss/hunt/quest encounter are really good + There are a few impressive

Here's the pros and cons :

+ Graphics
    + Addictive
    + Some boss/hunt/quest encounter are really good
    + There are a few impressive moments...

- The few impressive moments are often combined with really bad control
    - The control. Who decided to puts the action and the jump button on the same button ? I didn't count the number of time i jump in front of a door or a NPC
    - Having to rely on a car that go so slow for movement. You even have to buy gas for that car !
    - The game have no identity, it tries to copy other game that are far better in their respective region (Witcher, Metal Gear, Resident Evil...) but fails to deliver in those segments
    - The open world is mostly empty
    - Chapter 13 should not exist and is the most boring things i've played in a videogame lately.
    - The story is a mess. It's look like they took already-developped mission from a story hat and decided that those mission should be part of the main story even if the connection is under-developed and makes no sense.
    - There are also a lot of gap in the story. Some events appears off-screen instead of going cutscene or full CGI to actually make us care. And after the character are all chilling out about it, no drama or anything involved. There's also a lot of missed opportunity but i can't go into details to not spoil anything.
    - Some glitches like Hunt / story element not spawning
    - Only one playable character

And i'm probably forgetting some. Overall, it's a little better than FFXIII but that's about it.
  76. Dec 11, 2016
    I was excited to play this game when it was first announced as Final Fantasy Versus 13. The game was set in the world of 13 with a dark tone to it. It looked like a very interesting concept of a main Final Fantasy going hack and slash. Sadly enough though, the game was re-made into 15 which is still really good but with the many short comings from 15, it keeps it from becoming a greatI was excited to play this game when it was first announced as Final Fantasy Versus 13. The game was set in the world of 13 with a dark tone to it. It looked like a very interesting concept of a main Final Fantasy going hack and slash. Sadly enough though, the game was re-made into 15 which is still really good but with the many short comings from 15, it keeps it from becoming a great game. So does the game does its justice after a long 10 year development cycle or does it fall into the dark abyss where other highly-anticipated games fade throughout time?

Story- The story in 15 is decent enough and easy to understand. You play as Noctic, Prince and future ruler of Lucis as his father King Regis was killed in a peace treaty that turned into an assassination ambush. With the help of your friends Gladiolus, Prompto, and Ignis, Noctic will have to go around the game and become more powerful to take back the throne. The thing is, the games world isn't thoroughly explained as you're put right in the world with no exposition to really tell what the hell is going on unless you play through the story. The story is simple enough but what makes the story better is the relationship between the 4 main protagonist. The way each character has their own personalities and goals as you progress through the game. The problem though is that you get more of a personal affection with these characters and the world itself after watching the spin-off Brothers Final Fantasy 15 and Kingsglaive Final Fantasy 15 to better immerse yourself on the world of Eos. That shouldn't be a thing since a game should be able to help the player be more involved in the lore and characters.

Gameplay- The gameplay of 15 is different than most FF games in the series. It's a hack and slash that has the mix between Crisis Core and Type-0 . It's a very simplistic mechanic that is very fun to play with as Noctis has over several different uses for weapons. The problem with the gameplay is that everything else kinda sucks or an annoyance throughout the game. The driving feels very automated and you are constraint on the road like a safe-drivers ed teacher. You can't really crash unless taking turns on roads. The side-quest can be very bland at times as most of them is fetch quest but most of them also involves with giant or tough daemons to deal with, so it's not a bore to play through. The open world is a new refreshing idea as Lucis is pretty big enough to explore around. There are several different dungeons that are fun at times but some are just broken and tedious to go through. The use of different weapons is exhilarating as it gives a brand mix of something you get from Devil May Cry; very varied in its combat. The one thing they changed is the leveling up system isn't the same as other FF games. Throughout the game, your characters gain experience but you can only deposit them when you're resting. While you're resting, you can actually have buffs for eating different foods either by Ignis or a vendor. Other mechanics like you can only go one direction when either climbing up and down, X/A being the Jump button with it also being the confirming button, Amiger trigger buttons are glitched sometimes and not always responsive, Blocking doesn't always work, Broken boss battles like the Nalfgar, and the stupid requirements to do summons. Summons only come when they feel like it. It's stupid.

Graphics and Sound- The world of Eos is beautiful and the main difference about most FF games is that 15 is takes the real world and puts recreates a bit of it into the living world of 15. Creatures look fantastic, MAIN character models look amazing, particle affects to lighting is superb, and it's stable enough to play through. The music is freaking fantastic as each battle music fits right in and the use of the southern bell feel as Noctis and his friends road trip together around Lucis is appropriate. The music has such an amazing orchestra beat to it that each battle feels epic and uplifting as things are about to go down. I love the fact that they are able to keep Versus13 soundtrack in the game.The only main draw is the the draw distance sucks in this game, making pop-ins blandly coming out but that's only if you in huge grass fields.

With it's many faults, FFXV is still a good game to play for new comers and old final fantasy fans who accepts new change. I had a blast playing through the 96 hours and now I feel empty inside because I still want more from 15. There are gonna be updates that improve game mechanics and adding new features so I can't wait for those. It is a buy for new comers and FF fans( The ones that want something different rather than the turn-based gameplay).
  77. Jan 10, 2017
    Around 10 years of waiting and we finally get our hands on Final Fantasy XV and with at least 100+ hours clocked in here’s my thoughts if it was worth the wait.

Story/Characters: An area where Square Enix rarely disappoints is the story but sadly XV’s story confused the **** out of me with its rough pacing leaving more questions than answers, i feel the game has been cut up which

Story/Characters:
    An area where Square Enix rarely disappoints is the story but sadly XV’s story confused the **** out of me with its rough pacing leaving more questions than answers, i feel the game has been cut up which should be a big no-no for us gamer's.

The characters in XV are as empty as they come they lacked the characterization needed, the only characters you give a damn about are the main protagonists [Noctis, Prompto, Ignis & Gladilous] they had personalities to their own and moments on screen to care about them but for the rest i cared little for and at times i found myself wondering where certain characters disappeared to throughout the game, I must say though the characters were well designed but deserved more screen time like Ravus & Aranea.

Gameplay:
    My only problem with the combat is it can get very irritating in small areas thanks to annoying camera angles but despite that the combat system in XV is epic and works smoothly in open areas especially with combat techniques and link strikes with your comrades and with more unlocked nodes in the Ascension grid the more techniques for you to use at your disposal.

Speaking of the Ascension grid, it is the place where you can improve your party’s stats, combat moves, and much more, I must admit though I didn’t like the design of the ascension grid with some nodes requiring too much AP which is ridiculous unless you grind it out also I would’ve preferred individual grids for each party member.

The Magic system aka Elemancy is different compared to previous FF, it is quite simple to use but can be confusing at first, sadly using magic in XV though can become more of a burden then help because magic spells hit your own party members and the item needed to negate that is attached with the Holiday Pack + [a paid option], cmon Enix.

Side quests could arguably be the games second biggest flaw, they all could've been implemented better into the game, some were uninspiring [eg find 5 frogs, smh] and some just felt vital to the main story [eg the dungeons with Royal Arms/Tombs]. I like the quantity of SQ in XV but here they quickly become tedious.

There’s Bounties which introduce you to tougher enemies and Dungeons, where you face even greater enemies and gain better items and weapons but most of these can be easily skipped or missed if just completing the main quests.

Here a few things that could've made XV better - a bestiary for better knowledge on daemons and wildlife, a better way to skim through time, better items for end game content, reasonable AP costs in the Ascension grid, better depth into side quests - so many little things could’ve been done to make this game a masterpiece.

Visuals/Sound:
    XV is visually a gorgeous game from the beautiful city of Altissia to the very little details like getting dirty after exploring for long periods and being soaked by the rain, nothing negative to say here just an awesome job done. 10/10

The music in Final Fantasy’s are usually very memorable and XV doesn’t fail with a beautiful score but the only let down is the game doesn’t showcase all its great music composed for it.
    A great option though I must mention is the chance to purchase old soundtracks from previous FF [in game] for those big FF fans out there which can be listened to in your car the Regallia or the MP3 item. 8/10

Fun Factor/Challenge:
    XV is definitely a enjoyable game with some jaw dropping moments but the game might be a little easy for the hardcore gamer, the main story can be completed in just over 30 hours but if you choose to enjoy every bit of the game then it has well over 50 hours of content to enjoy,

XV though has seemed to cater to a more casual audience and new comers to the series which is fine but they compromised what made FF a legendary franchise, a epic story with great storytelling and meaningful characters. But I cant ignore the amazing visuals and score, awesome combat system and the four badass lead protagonists.

Verdict: 8/10
  78. Nov 30, 2016
    I don't think this game is amazing, but it's very good. I'm enjoying it more than Final Fantasy 13. The combat system is very different compared to the previous FF games. It doesn't have that traditional turn based mechanic. Surprisingly, the new combat system works well. I made a few mistakes while playing the game, but now I'm getting a hang of it. The graphics are so damn gorgeous,I don't think this game is amazing, but it's very good. I'm enjoying it more than Final Fantasy 13. The combat system is very different compared to the previous FF games. It doesn't have that traditional turn based mechanic. Surprisingly, the new combat system works well. I made a few mistakes while playing the game, but now I'm getting a hang of it. The graphics are so damn gorgeous, definitely the best looking FF game at the moment, and I've never played a FF game with a scale this massive before. The world in this game is huge, because I've seen the map size and its pretty damn big. As for the story, if you guys haven't seen Kingsglaive and also the anime series of FF XV. I suggest watching those first before playing, just to get a better sense of the story. Right now, I'm still exploring the game so I might change the score in the future. Expand
  79. Dec 21, 2016
    I finished this game the other night with 70+hrs in and all I could wonder is why it took the creators 10yrs to complete this game. I am honestly disappointed with it. I didn't feel any connection with any of the characters, the story didn't draw me in, and the side quests (aka "fetch" quests) aren't rewarding at all. Compared to older FF games do a quest and you'll receive a well neededI finished this game the other night with 70+hrs in and all I could wonder is why it took the creators 10yrs to complete this game. I am honestly disappointed with it. I didn't feel any connection with any of the characters, the story didn't draw me in, and the side quests (aka "fetch" quests) aren't rewarding at all. Compared to older FF games do a quest and you'll receive a well needed accessory or weapon. In FF XV you'll receive like a hi-potion or a megalixir for example. I'm not fighting a level 99 monster (and I really like to fight optional bosses) just to be rewarded some BS. I did not like the ending boss fight at all. It didn't feel like a boss fight whatsoever. There was just no challenge to it. There are summons called Astrals that, unlike other FF games, you cannot summon whenever you want. They only appear for you when they, the Astrals, deem it necessary. Now to level up you have to rest at a hotel, motel, or camp site to accumulate all of your EXP which i hate! If you don't do any of those things you will not level up. The openworld didn't feel like an openworld to me either. I couldn't just go anywhere I wanted like you can in GTA. When I hear "openworld" GTA comes to mind. Those are my personal issues with this game. So in the end this game is great, good, or bad. It's just an "ok" game. My opinion is to wait for a price drop. Expand
  80. Dec 9, 2016
    Pros: The scale of the game brings awe at times. The world is gigantic. There is a real "bro roadtrip" feel to the game. Combat is deeper than it originally seems.

Cons: The worst sidequests you can find in games. One is literally to run to a guys farm across the world, pick up like a single pea, and go back to turn it in. That isn't even the real problem though, many games can have this sort of thing.

The real problem is what all of the sidequests amount to: Pick up quest, return to car, fast travel to nearest parking spot, run to quest, kill/pick up single thing, fast travel back to car, fast travel back to hub to turn in. "Fast travel" is codeword for minute long loadscreen. Half your time is spent loading. Weak sidequests can be tolerable when you are pushing towards progression, but when you factor in all the extra wasted time, it becomes misery.

That would be fine if the game just had serious flaws around its side content, but that is what the bulk of the game actually is. The main story is fractured, messy, and not particularly compelling (despite having so much potential), and is actually quite short compared to FF standards. Its all the extra activities that are supposed to make the game what it is.

This leaves a game with a ton of content, but a significant portion that isn't fun to do. Either due to it being shallow and/or the obstacles in place that hinder you from moving as swiftly as you would like.

There are some enjoyable dungeons, and some post-game stuff that fares better, but for the most part I found myself perpetually let down.

I can't help but think back to FFXIII's valid criticisms of linearity. This game is the complete opposite of that, to the other extreme, and with a whole new set of problems that unfortunately weren't addressed.
  81. Feb 20, 2017
    Despite the advertising, this is a Final Fantasy for firt-timers maybe, but definetly not for fans.
    The scenario and graphics are beautiful and it's hard to argue with that. But the story is really shallow and the combat system most of the time way too simple and at other times confusing, specially with the weird camera angles.
    The game tries to compensate mistakes from FFXIII and give
    The game tries to compensate mistakes from FFXIII and give us a wide open-world at the begining, but then it decides to take a linear path for the second half which just setences the player for some long boring sequences (yes, chapter 13, i'm mentioning you!)
    It just looks like a half-made game, which is proved by the amount of huge updates square already released and the plenty of dlcs scheduled.
    It's decent, it's playable, just don't rush to get it.
    And it definetly doesn't live up to the name it carries
  82. Mar 14, 2017
    Maybe its not Versus but at all it's better than i excepted after all thoose years. Mature and sad story, top graphics, one of the best soundtracs. Major disappointment of this game for me is causality, some of Astrals unsumonable and lack of females in party (except quests). I'm waiting for future patches and improvements.
  83. Dec 6, 2016
    I am not a Final Fantasy fan and this is my second game in series. My first was Final Fantasy 12 and I found that game amazingly cute but battle system is really turned me off.
    So fifteen part was so hyped and I could not miss it. ( yeah hype got me and I am not proud of that)
    And I am so glad that I picked this game up! World is amazing and finally after some time we have good old japanese adventure. Game is so cozy and after you get used to weird interface design and some technical issues you are starting to get so much fun and you do not wanna leave this world. And you are enjoying each moment of this game. That game simply just have a soul. Battle system is not perfect but I like it. Final of the story is little ordinary and maybe little disappointing.
    I am giving that game 10/10 despite that it has some issues because this game is stand out among all these grey sequels. It just different and has cozy vibe. I miss games like that.
  84. Nov 29, 2016
    You will either hate it or love it. There isn't much of a middle ground. The combat system reminds me of devil may cry with a bit more strategy involved. The open world has a GTA V feel. The story is great. The graphics are great. Without reading the negative comments I will assume that most people's complaint is that it doesn't FEEL like a final fantasy game. However, after their last fewYou will either hate it or love it. There isn't much of a middle ground. The combat system reminds me of devil may cry with a bit more strategy involved. The open world has a GTA V feel. The story is great. The graphics are great. Without reading the negative comments I will assume that most people's complaint is that it doesn't FEEL like a final fantasy game. However, after their last few debacles that is a GOOD thing :).

One other thing. Many people will feel like the world / characters seem bland / underdeveloped. In a questionable move, they decided to put most of the back story and development into a youtube series and the movie kingsglaive. If anything, watch the movie. I can't imagine having played this otherwise....so much left out.
  85. Apr 10, 2017
    This game is a trainwreck of bad ideas. The only thing 'Final Fantasy' about it is the title. The series is in desperate need of a reboot after this abomination. It lacks direction and seems to have no idea what it wants to be. Had I not received it as a gift, I would have returned it after the first hour.
  86. Dec 7, 2016
    The 15th entry in the series is very different to what fans usually associate with "Final Fantasy". Some people will like it for what it is and some will probably dismiss it because its too different to what they consider an FF Game.

I like the game because FF for me has always been about trying something new. Here we have a huge open world with lots of areas to explore, monsters and bosses to kill, side quest to complete, and things to collect. Seems to be an endless amount of things for the player to uncover and it's different and very fun.

Combat is engaging and while simple enough at first glance it shows it's true colors the further in you get with link strikes, blind side moves, abilitets from party members and different weapons.

The only thing that really stands out as bad in my opinion is the story as it's not very interesting or fun. To fully understand and appreciate what's going on you also have to watch the "Kingsglaive" movie which is stupid in and out of itself because it should have just been part of the game.

The game play is what matters most in a game for me though and it's incredibly fun.
  87. Dec 1, 2016
    Average at best, and i´m already forcing t and with a lil bit of nostalgia factor.
    The story is bland and one of the WORST FF plots ever made, if you think FF12 had a horrible story...Man you gonna gate this!
    The main cast are ok, nothing out of this world but with the restriction to as only one character much of the game is lost. The action is ok...Divisive but it´s ok. It´s not that
    The action is ok...Divisive but it´s ok. It´s not that dumb how some people are saying but it´s not so bad like FF13. (i would like the old atb style but that´s me)
    the secondary cast are....are...nothing...already forgot them =/ (this compared to Final fantasy 6 or 7 are a joke, like the people who made this game never played a FF game before...just 13 =.="...Hell even 12 had more memorable side characters in the world that i can remember)
    If you like a western style rpg, with world adventure then maybe that´s the game made for you...If you like the old FF~Xenogears~Chrono style of story driven game....The stay away from this game like the plague! Or just buy later cheaper or even rent first and try yourself...
  88. Dec 13, 2016
    Final Fantasy XV is an all-out masterpiece, without a doubt worthy of being ranked among the best entries in the series such as FFVI.

This game excels in every department, with memorable characters, fun dodge-parry-punish based combat that retains that FF magic touch, AAA presentation, jaw-dropping visuals, a vast overworld, a robust soundtrack featuring many past FF favorite tunes, and, most importantly, a truly moving story that begins rather innocuously (and perhaps confusingly, to anyone who hasn't seen Kingsglaive and Brotherhood) but picks up speed like a junkie strapped to a roller coaster in the latter half with many surprising and gut-wrenching twists.

The world feels lived-in and believable and the range of the writing and evolving relationships between the main characters and NPCs only adds to the immersion. And the customizability of your vehicle, the Regalia, makes it a treat for car lovers.

Make no mistake, much of FFXV concerns 4 bros on a road trip through a gorgeous open-world, and certain hunts and side-quests feel like content for the sake of content, but the enemies, environments, weapons, and mini-games are all very well-designed. Like many open-world games, at times it's easy to get side-tracked. But a couple of glitches/camera issues/awkward dub moments aside, I can't fault the developers on a single major decision here.

The many refined aspects of FFXV all gel together to create an unforgettable experience that's much more than the sum of its parts. Even the fan-maligned Chapter 13 is a bold and welcome change of pace and tone, as well as a sly bit of meta-commentary.

The only issues I have are (A) the camera can sometimes get stuck behind large bushes or objects during combat. It doesn't happen that often but it can be annoying, (B) some of the side-quests and hunts are boring, and (C) the dub isn't perfect. Other than that, I really can't complain. When the story kicks in, the game hits like a sucker punch.

(Played 42 hours or so, did a bunch of side-quests, but I still have many hours to go if I'm to collect the remaining Royal Arms and tackle the post-game content.)

Easily 10/10. FFXV is the most fun I've had gaming all year and boasts one of the most moving final arcs in any JRPG.
  89. Dec 31, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We all know the best Final Fantasy is [insert the first Final Fantasy you ever played]. Now, this rendition is somewhat of a letdown to me. I have played most Final Fantasys and liked them mostly. Part 15 is among my least favorite. Now, I will try to present my criticism in order.
    Positives: The graphics are gorgeous. The fights are dynamic. And you can ride a chocobo. Sadly, that is about it.
    Negatives: You only get direct control of one of the characters. The fights are confusing and it is hard to stay on one target. The magic system is shallow and I soon started to avoid using magic. Talking about things being shallow: the characters and the story. SPOILER: You are led into a trap for most of the game in what isn't even a real twist. The characters react predictably - you don't get a choice. You get to ride around in a cool car - which takes virtually forever to get anywhere. And you have to do it again and again.
    Throughout the game characters get removed from your party, which I always feel is poor gameplay pacing by producers. At one point all of the weapons you collected get taken away and you have to walk through areas that are made to be a survival horror game. Totally not what I wanted to buy.
    It might be the same case as with FF8 where I only got the hang and the basics of gameplay on my second try, but thus far FF15 is a gorgeous turd. I am almost through - only sidequesting before the endgame - and because I waited so long this game is a major letdown. Boo on you Square.
  90. Dec 13, 2016
    This is a very different Final Fantasy game. But not in a bad way. There are many ways for people to criticize this game, and they are entitled to those opinions, but if you go into this game, you have to go in wanting to enjoy it. Immerse yourself in the world, experience everything it has to offer and you will enjoy it. Don't take it too seriously and it will reward you with a fun experience.
  91. Nov 29, 2016
    Ignore the 0's. This game is beautiful. This game is stunning. It is gorgeous. The story is amazing (Watch Kingsglaive first!!). The characters are likable and humorous.

Some of these reviews are pathetic. "I've cleared the game in just less than 40 hours." Uh, no, you haven't. The game has been out for sixteen hours. And if you're five, six, seven, even eight hours ahead in Europe, that is maximum 24 hours. So no, you haven't cleared the game and most of the side quests. Get over yourselves. Nothing but haters putting 0s to put 0s. I gave it a 10 to combat that, but honestly I would give it a 9.

The combat in this game is spectacular. It makes tedious side quests fun. And believe me, there are some tedious quests. Think World of Warcraft 2004 when every quest was either fetch X number of items, or kill X number of enemies. My sole criticism.

How can you hate on Noctis and his group of friends? They're the most shelled-out, realistic group of dudes we've seen in a long time. You can relate to them, they make you laugh, they make you cry.

You have to refill the gas tank, you don't replenish health after battles, you need to actually use those items you save up for the entire game. It's awesome. And even after it all, you can come back to the open world to get what you missed and trust me, you'll not get stuff, because you need to complete the game to get some stuff, you need to be way higher level to get stuff, kill stuff.

The mini-games are hilarious and awesome. I love how SQE brought back betting on races and what not. Riding chocobos around. Man.

And the nostalgia. The car. The old FF tunes.

I've read that you get sucked into a linear portion when you need to advance the story past the open world. What's the problem with that? Story is what makes an RPG, and this one so far is a doozy. I am excited to see what we get when I get there

Buy this game. Play the heck out of it, you'll be sad when it's done, I'm sure.
  92. Dec 1, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final Fantasy XV is a good game, but nothing nearing 10 years in development good.

You can tell when Tetsuya Nomura left the project and the design team went into "hurry up and finish" mode. I couldn't shake the feeling that the game was somehow unfinished. As if they didn't really start working on it till like 3 or 4 years ago and they realized they had to hurry and pump something out because they announced it 10 years ago. The second half of the game is horrible and seemed rushed. You'll hear people complain about how linear it was but that wasn't the final straw for me. It was boring. Especially the section that basically turned the game into a survival-horror reminiscent of Galerians. This is also one of the longest segments of the game and plays a heavy hand in diminishing the vibe the first half of the game goes out of its way to establish. A lot of Final Fantasy games do the two worlds thing but usually the transition doesn't feel this jarring.

This game definitely feels inspired by Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children (especially in the aerial fight scenes) so that may be a make-or-break deal for some people. For me it was unimpressive since I don't consider either of those things very Final Fantasy-ish.

It's better than XIII and for most people (not me) better than XII but it won't touch golden era Final Fantasy games like 6 through 10.
  93. Nov 29, 2016

+Awesome characters
    +Fun battle system
    =Game of the Year
  94. Mar 18, 2017
    Love final fantasy. All of them except for this one. Story is boring. Characters are extremely unoriginal in personality (bland as well). I guess their are SOME fun moments in combat but honestly there isn't enough going on to keep the player actively engaged. Leveling system is dumbed down to an extreme level. Honestly I love final fantasy so much I could have looked over all of thisLove final fantasy. All of them except for this one. Story is boring. Characters are extremely unoriginal in personality (bland as well). I guess their are SOME fun moments in combat but honestly there isn't enough going on to keep the player actively engaged. Leveling system is dumbed down to an extreme level. Honestly I love final fantasy so much I could have looked over all of this if it wasn't for the boring dialogue and unlikable characters. Waited forever for this game. Just didn't cut it... Expand
  95. Dec 1, 2016
    FINAL FANTASY XV is a above average game that define it's best open-world JRPG.

FINAL FANTASY XV is a above average game that define it's best open-world JRPG.

I played this game for the past few hours of my time which I proceeding the story for a bit, but actually, I was played thru hunting quest to kill many wild and crazy creatures around the map. The combat of this game is not that bad at all. Instead of the usual traditional button-mashing, you only need to hold a button to attack any enemies and the red-shield icon appears, you quickly hold another button to block and parry at the right time. I take some time to get use to it, but it's a real deal. However, the camera is somewhat annoying when you're in the middle of the battle, behind wall, branch, trees... Yep, this is your real enemy.

The environment is beautiful, I couldn't stop looking at it when the car drives itself or running around like feeling the breeze.

The music is outstandingly amazing, 'nuff said.

Like I said before, I played for a few hour and I still need to continue more gameplay until the end.

By concluding this review, the game is worth your time after 10 years of waiting. Yes, the camera has abit of a problem while in combat mode, but this rest is still standing out. If you're a type of people who is looking of a awesome improved combat than the turn-based strategy, than this game is you and for first timers.
  96. Jan 18, 2017
    Oh, Final Fantasy XV. I really wanted to give you a 9, but the glaring issue in one of the most important aspects of the Final Fantasy franchise, aka story, is something that I cannot ignore. Ok, enough second person talk. Let me be blunt here for second. Final Fantasy is still a great game--the vast open world and the surprisingly good (non turn-based) combat system are very wellOh, Final Fantasy XV. I really wanted to give you a 9, but the glaring issue in one of the most important aspects of the Final Fantasy franchise, aka story, is something that I cannot ignore. Ok, enough second person talk. Let me be blunt here for second. Final Fantasy is still a great game--the vast open world and the surprisingly good (non turn-based) combat system are very well executed. Sadly, I cannot say the same for the story, which is dampened by plot holes, lack of expositions and missed opportunities. Speaking of missed opportunities, it can be traced back to poor characterization, which also adds to the story's plot holes and poor execution.

It's still a solid entry to the series, but its numerous failings in aspects where a Final Fantasy is expected to excel makes it a game that longs for greatness yet under-delivers.

That said, if you value open-world exploration and undertaking sidequests, by all means get this game. Just don't expect a masterfully crafted tale, because there's little to speak of in this game.
  97. Nov 29, 2016
    + Great atmosphere
    + Awesome characters
    + I dig the combat when set to Wait mode
    + Fishing :D
    + Roadtrip feeling
    - Long travel / Loading
    - Sometimes bugs when accepting quests or characters being stuck
  98. Nov 29, 2016
    Amazing game, really love it. Final fantasy is back for sure!
    Too bad some people are giving low score just for the sake of it, tha game definitely do not deserve it.
  99. Mar 7, 2017
    Graphics: 8
    Story: 7
    Gameplay: 7
    Cutscene 8
    Fun: 7

Comment: A good game, but boring and with strange combat system
  100. Nov 29, 2016
    Surprising that after 10 years in the making this feels rushed and uninspired.
    This clearly shows signs of a spin off turned mainline game. (started as "Versus XIII").
    Pros: - Has some true Final Fantasy feel to it. The classic monsters, the weapons, chocobos. The characters, while underdeveloped and plain, do feel like genuine FF characters. - The soundtrack has some really
    Surprising that after 10 years in the making this feels rushed and uninspired.

Pros:

- The soundtrack has some really nice tracks (though it's not as consistent as other FF entries)

- The Open World is beautiful from an aesthetic point of view

- The combat is actually fun and fluid, although it is not challenging enough imo.

Cons:

- The main character cast is one of the worst in the FF franchise. They are not annoying like in FF 13, they are just so uninteresting. Don't expect unique characters like Vivi / Cloud / Celes etc..

- The world is kinda dry. This is a game that is open world just for the sake of being open world.
    The side quests are (usually) repetitive without incentive to do them and the towns and cities are lifeless.
    If you are going into this game expecting Witcher3 level of world and side quests - not even close.

- Camera issues.. in a game 10 years in the making..

- Some mechanics were obviously added on as an afterthought- magic and summons
    Magic in this game takes a backseat (kinda reminds the draw system from FF VIII) and battles usually revolve around physical attacks.

- The story is a mess in my opinion, don't wanna go into spoilers

If I had to compare it to other FF games I would say it's better than later iterations like FF XIII and FF XIII-2, but it is way less enchanting than the more classical entries like 6,7,10 and even 12.

Not bad overall, but leaves me feeling a bit disappointed.

1. Feb 14, 2017
    After so many years of development, Final Fantasy XV is not what I expected it to be. The universe is immense and beautiful and the characters are just fine. But the story is short and disappointing and the gameplay suffers from lack of depth. FFXV is a good game, but it can never bring the former glories back to the series.
  2. Edge Magazine
    Feb 14, 2017
    Even as you reflect on the rarity of a blockbuster that's willing to take real risks, you'll be left with the uncomfortable realisation that ten years wasn't quite long enough, after all. Those jagged edges are, in the end, just a little too sharp. [Feb 2017, p.110]
  3. Feb 7, 2017
    Despite a divided feel, torn between what it was and what it plans to be, Final Fantasy XV has a lot to offer. If you're a diehard JRPG fan, then it's a positive sign that the series can cross over to a new format. And if you're just looking for an open world adventure, Final Fantasy XV certainly has that in spades, while doing just enough things differently to separate it from the likes of Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls.