Killzone: Shadow Fall PlayStation 4

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 15, 2013
6.9

1. Dec 18, 2013
    This game has some really cool mechanics but the story is pretty much garbage and the campaign gets really boring fast. I found myself just wishing the mission would end. That's not a good thing. But I was really impressed with the multiplayer. It turned out to be actually be really fun!
  2. Nov 15, 2013
    7.5 is my "honest" score. It's a decent, albeit run-of-the-mill and somewhat forgettable, FPS. Single player is fun, but short; MP is well-done. Graphics are excellent, about on par with a PC playing Crysis 3 on high settings at 1080p. There's just something missing to make this game great, or even very good it's almost too generic and tries to fit the mold of a sci-fi shooter without7.5 is my "honest" score. It's a decent, albeit run-of-the-mill and somewhat forgettable, FPS. Single player is fun, but short; MP is well-done. Graphics are excellent, about on par with a PC playing Crysis 3 on high settings at 1080p. There's just something missing to make this game great, or even very good it's almost too generic and tries to fit the mold of a sci-fi shooter without much originality. I guess this is what's to be expected from a launch game. In the paltry selection of PS4 launch titles, it's probably one of your top three choices if you're getting a console on launch day. Expand
  3. Apr 16, 2017
    Overall the game is decent, There is nothing WOW about this game, but still decent. Single player is good with more open level design, graphics are as you would expect. BUT compared to the previous titles Shadow Fall Focuses On story then blind brute shooting which is well explained. there are also some scenes In the game which are amazing.
    And now the combat / shooting mechanics THAT IS
    And now the combat / shooting mechanics THAT IS TERRIBLE, but if you are solely controller user then it wont suck that much.There is No auto aim as always, no aim assistance, and no cover system like that of kill zone 3, IN Combat you have to rely on your fancy combat buddy which is a drone for support, distraction bla bla....etc etc and some other fancy features, And about health which doesn't regenerate by it self like in other modern shooters.
  4. May 22, 2015
    The graphics were amazing. Sadly, that is the only good thing about this game. The gameplay was very clunky for a FPS, the multiplayer modes were set up terribly and were flat out boring, and the game lacked story. It was the worst FPS I've played in a while.
  5. Jan 26, 2014
    Excellent graphics on display but dull, linear missions and run-of-the-mill multi-player make it ultimately unsatisfying. Had to force myself to finish it. Hope to trade it in as soon as a good PS4 game gets released.
  6. Mar 29, 2016
    It's a good game but defiantly nothing amazing, lacks a story although it has good action and a good gadget. Not much more i can say about this apart from it's stunning graphics.

pros
    - stunning graphics
    - good shooting mechanics and gadget
    - okay for a ps4 exclusive

Cons
    - fails for a engaging story
    - can seem repetitive
    - only just come out on top in the killzone franchise
  7. Nov 27, 2013
    This game had the unfortunate billing of being Sony's flagship launch title for the PS4 and it just does not live up to that goal. If this game had been released with less fanfare, then I would have given it a better score. Still, this is a solid shooter that, unfortunately for Sony, falls on it's face in the one facet that a shooter needs to succeed nowadays in and that's the multiplayer.This game had the unfortunate billing of being Sony's flagship launch title for the PS4 and it just does not live up to that goal. If this game had been released with less fanfare, then I would have given it a better score. Still, this is a solid shooter that, unfortunately for Sony, falls on it's face in the one facet that a shooter needs to succeed nowadays in and that's the multiplayer. While the multiplayer is not inherently bad, it doesn't live up to the standard that has been set by CoD and Battlefield. Speaking as a Battlefield player, I personally felt like there was just too much of the same thing going on with pretty much everything in the game. Most of the weapons felt the same and the maps didn't feel very compelling to continue playing. The single-player takes the cake here as it's challenging and long, about 10 hours to complete. While the story isn't great, it's the best story I've seen in a single-player shooter in a long time. I really wanted this game to be the showcase game for the system. Instead it lived up to the Killzone name by presenting us a solid shooter that just doesn't quite live up to the hype that surrounded it. And with both Battlefield 4 and CoD being on the PS4, it's very hard to recommend this game over one of the two others, especially to a fan of either game. Expand
  8. Nov 26, 2013
    It is a gorgeous game. After the newness of the beauty wore off I realized I was bored. What really sticks out for me is that Killzone is not a series I enjoy. It is not a bad game, plays well, but after few hours I wanted to move onto another game. The game has more things going against it than for it in my opinion. The guns don't appeal to me, the story is poor and more confusing thanIt is a gorgeous game. After the newness of the beauty wore off I realized I was bored. What really sticks out for me is that Killzone is not a series I enjoy. It is not a bad game, plays well, but after few hours I wanted to move onto another game. The game has more things going against it than for it in my opinion. The guns don't appeal to me, the story is poor and more confusing than it should be, but if you play it for the multiplayer you will find more fun to be had there. I suppose if you really love the series, you will really enjoy the game. If you found the other titles a bit boring, repetitive, than move along. Expand
  9. Nov 26, 2013
    This game shows off the PS4's power with the beautiful scenery to well developed characters, but the game play it's self leaves a lot to be desired with overall odd acting characters and a boring multiplayer.
  10. Dec 23, 2013
    First I have to tell you that I am a huge Playstation Fan and that I have played Killzone 1, 2, 3 and have Platinum all three of them on my PS3.

Now as for Shadow Fall.....It has to be one of the most frustrating games that I have ever played. The objectives at times were confusing and I did not really like the so called "open world" of each level. Its like they wanted you to explore each level like Fallout instead of being a great shooter. As for the OWL....It does more of the work for you than your player does. OWL go kill these guy, OWL go and hack the computer, OWL go and open a ZIP line, OWL put up a shield and I will do some killing. The Missions were mostly all stealthy and it lacked for the most part the feel of a huge battlefield expect for about one mission. The story was the weakest of the series and the AI was also quite weak. Thats all I will say about the campaign.

The multiplayer aspect is solid for this game. It delivers a solid experience for this game. The only issues I have about the maps are easy for players to kill spawn. Yep, kill spawning is alive and well in this generation.

Yes I did buy this game and yes I will still play it but this one is one that I will not platinum.
  11. Jan 16, 2014
    Kill Zone Shadow Fall, first off this game dose not feel like a KillZone game making the game brighter change the whole feel of it. Yeah the graphics look very pretty but this is next gen do you expect to play games that don't look good? The missions Feel boring and many times you get lost because the objective marker is not clear on what to do or where to go. Overall this game feels likeKill Zone Shadow Fall, first off this game dose not feel like a KillZone game making the game brighter change the whole feel of it. Yeah the graphics look very pretty but this is next gen do you expect to play games that don't look good? The missions Feel boring and many times you get lost because the objective marker is not clear on what to do or where to go. Overall this game feels like a knock off to the pervious KillZone games if you haven't played KillZone 1 thru 3 then You wouldn't mind this game and probably give it an 8 but me a "KillZone fan" this feels like a smack. Also with out giving away any spoilers the story is very cheesy and in the end makes you think why did the writers do this. I really like Sony because of their exclusive games but I truly believe they ruin the series with this and killed it for me. Expand
  12. Nov 23, 2013
    Unfortunately I have to give this game a "Meh" rating due to the total let-down and... I hate to say... it's not as good as the previous KillZone games. I went in expecting it to be A LOT better than KillZone 2 & 3 and this game did not deliver. For one i was disappointed at the fact that the levels were pretty dull compared to the beautiful levels in the previous games. I feel like theUnfortunately I have to give this game a "Meh" rating due to the total let-down and... I hate to say... it's not as good as the previous KillZone games. I went in expecting it to be A LOT better than KillZone 2 & 3 and this game did not deliver. For one i was disappointed at the fact that the levels were pretty dull compared to the beautiful levels in the previous games. I feel like the developer rushed this game due to it's timeline for release, and it shows in quality. I must say that Xbox one so far is impressing me a whole lot more with Ryse. Let's hope later down the line better games come out for my PS4 Expand
  13. Nov 25, 2013
    The start of Killzone: Shadowfall should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect from the rest of the game. The visuals are beautiful overall, and often even breathtaking. The gameplay is solid, (although there were two spots in particular where I was meant to use the zipline to progress, but the game wouldn't let me equip it for some reason, but more on that later...) And I alsoThe start of Killzone: Shadowfall should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect from the rest of the game. The visuals are beautiful overall, and often even breathtaking. The gameplay is solid, (although there were two spots in particular where I was meant to use the zipline to progress, but the game wouldn't let me equip it for some reason, but more on that later...) And I also think that most of the guns feel like they lack any punch. My main problems with the game come in the form of story and voice acting. And the super generic feel. (It almost feels like the lovechild of a Killzone and Halo game.) The story is one we've heard a million times and even the plot twists where expected. I would nominate the the voice actors for Kellan, Echo, Sinclair, and Massar for the "Worst Voice Acting Ever in a Triple A Title" Award. Massar was especially poorly delivered. The acting wasn't unbearable, but I expected more out of a game that is so sexy graphically in contrast. Overall, I definitely recommend playing it because while I had my problems with it, it was fun. Just not as believable or immersive (yes, I know immersive isn't a real word but I think you know what I'm saying) as it might have been with better performances. Expand
  14. Dec 23, 2013
    This game is a decent launch showpiece for the PS4. The good:
    1. Mind-blowing graphics. The amazing level of detail is evident from sprawling futuristic cities to the stitching detail visible on your gloves. I'm particularly impressed with faces and character emotions. PC-level stuff.
    This game is a decent launch showpiece for the PS4. The good:
    2. The O.W.L. Controlling your own drone is fantastically fun. The O.W.L. is the most creative and engaging component of the entire game.
    3. Tight shooting, solid AI. I've always thought the AI enemies in the Killzone games are among the smartest you can find; aware, quick to find cover and aggressive.
    The Bad:
    1. It's boring Killzone continues the series' tradition of creating characters and story-lines I don't care about.
    2. Lack of guns, gadgets, and progression. Guns are boring and limited, Tech has some highlights but is overall un-imaginative.
    Overall- it's a must own for PS4-early adopters, but this game will quickly fade into mediocrity as the PS4 library is established.
  15. Nov 19, 2013
    Amazing graphics, but had a decent amount of frustrating moments. Story was kinda meh, it was my first Killzone so that may have hurt. I'm guessing my second play-through will be a lot more enjoyable. I can't wait to see how graphics will be on PS4 a year from now!
  16. Nov 25, 2013
    Any person rating this game high is deluding themselves. I wanted it to be great but the more I played it the more I just wanted it to be over. I don't often give up on games, but Killzone came close. I still believe PS4 will be a wonderful system, but besides from wonderful graphics, this game offered absolutely nothing to showcase it.
  17. Apr 26, 2014
    One of the more disappointing game to launch on the PlayStation 4. Having been a huge fan of the killzone franchise, this one is by far the worse. It's unrecognisable! This shares no resemblance to the previous games. Killzone was a dark, gritty and intense shooter for hardcore players. It wasn't for everyone but for those who loved it, really loved it. It was unique too, especiallyOne of the more disappointing game to launch on the PlayStation 4. Having been a huge fan of the killzone franchise, this one is by far the worse. It's unrecognisable! This shares no resemblance to the previous games. Killzone was a dark, gritty and intense shooter for hardcore players. It wasn't for everyone but for those who loved it, really loved it. It was unique too, especially Killzone 2. This game is trying to become more of a mainstream success and it has failed. The developers should have stuck with the true killzone, the one with little colour and heavy weighting controls. It was far more exciting. It's not a terrible game, Shadowfall, but poor and uninteresting. Expand
  18. Jan 11, 2014
    It's just a tech demo, nothing less and nothing more. If you want a better Killzone play the original trilogy or Mercenary on the Vita. This is a sorry excuse for a Killzone game.
  19. Dec 22, 2013
    First when I started this game i was blown away. The grapichs look awesome (specially the outside area's).
    After a lil while when the real missions start I most of the time wondered what I was suppost to do. It's sometimes very unclear what you should do and the only way to get past that point is a eternal search for a switch that was hidden away in the dark.
    The game also wants you to

The game also wants you to puzzle trough some mission, but it not brain cracking what so ever. These puzzles let you walk the map from front to back and so on. It feels like a cheap way to extend the game.

One of the first thing I noticed that the players point of view is so damn low that you have the feeling you are a midged. Everyone in this game (npc's) are at least a head higher than the player. You can't look on top of they're shoulders.

The A.I. almost made me cry... They are more retarded then a goldfish with brain damage. They most of the time run around like some wild dogs that want to get shot.

So is this game that bad? No it's not awefull but has a lot of flaws. Specially in the singleplayer campain. The multiplayer has enough content to keep you satisfied for a few months. It plays great and looks good. Only downside is that it's extreem slow paced. If you are used to a COD or Battlefield you have the feeling this multiplayers runs in slowmotion.
  20. Jan 9, 2014
    No sense of direction, easy to get lost,. Also, the game handles darkness badly. Together, these two factors make it really frustrating. Also some out of place zero gravity sections, which feel weird. Stealth is messed up. Worst game in the Killzone series. Wanted to love it.
  21. Dec 21, 2013
    I just can't understand why they put such a poor save system in such a game that could have been great. BEWARE buying unless you can play a whole chapter for a save-- looks like I will play my Battlefield 4 and COD to bad, used to love the KillZones---GET IT FIXED!!!! so I can play when I want, not when YOU want me to
  22. Dec 19, 2013
    Its a great game and has better graphics. In comparison, better graphics than Battlefield 4.

What dissapoints me is the lack of co-op and storyline. I hope they will improve them on the next installment
  23. Jun 2, 2014
    Killzone: Shadow fall is a good game that wants to be something great.

While offering beautiful visuals that come close to what any top end PC can offer. Kill zone unfortunately stumbles with sometimes questionable AI, bad voice acting, and bad level design; which at times, can become quite frustrating. However, while it has a lot of bad aspects, it also offers a lot of good. Such
    Killzone: Shadow fall is a good game that wants to be something great.

However, while it has a lot of bad aspects, it also offers a lot of good. Such as great multi-player, a solid single player campaign and a fairly solid story to go with it.

Also, Killzone offers some great weapons and gadgets to play with.

Its just a shame, because with just a little more time and polish, it could have meant the difference between a good game and a great game.

Unfortunately Killzone remains the former.
  24. Jan 18, 2014
    Killzone: Shadow Fall is a prime example of the technology the PS4 contains and what games can look like in the next-gen of games we are living in. The plot falls short of the other games in the Killzone series with trying to make up a new premise, like in Halo 4. The gameplay mechanics are done very fluently and add new moves that weren't in past Killzone games. Overall, this isn't theKillzone: Shadow Fall is a prime example of the technology the PS4 contains and what games can look like in the next-gen of games we are living in. The plot falls short of the other games in the Killzone series with trying to make up a new premise, like in Halo 4. The gameplay mechanics are done very fluently and add new moves that weren't in past Killzone games. Overall, this isn't the best Killzone game, but it's not the worst. Expand
  25. May 29, 2014
    Killzone Shadow Fall has beautiful graphics and some good new ideas but not much else. The enemy A.I is poor, which takes away a lot of the fun of the single player, the plot is not as well developed as it could be. The multiplayer is really nothing special.
  26. Dec 29, 2013
    The graphics are incredible. However, the overuse of lense flare is ridiculous taking away the realism. Why games use lense flare and motion blur is beyond me as I rarely experience it in real life. If I did as much as this game uses it I would seek out an eye doctor or get better equipment to use in combat.
  27. Apr 18, 2014
    Great graphics. That's all!
    The storyline is terrible and at the end, you realize that the game isn't fun.
    You just keep playing, hoping an epic moment or a turn in the story.

My first PS4 game is just ok. That is sad.
  28. Mar 31, 2014
    Killzone Shadow Fall is a pretty meh game imo, but the reason why I have a decent score is because it has beautiful graphics and awesome weapons. But the "meh" with this game is the campaign, it is pretty weird and .... (the .... means that I don't wanna spoil it). And on the multiplayer people love to abuse the shield and stays camping outside the spawn.
  29. Jan 1, 2014
    The mechanics of the game are competent and the level design is well done, low point for me is how the story just jumps around with poor linking and context.
    Others are saying that Multiplayer is where the action is at, I don't really play multiplayer so I'm not swayed by that.
  30. Nov 20, 2013
    My Full Killzone Review! (Multiplayer Included) (Minimal Spoilers)

Let me start off by saying Next Gen has finally arrived and dang it feels great! I am so excited to see what's to come of these consoles and the games that come out on them. Campaign: I started up the campaign and decide to play on normal which is what I do for almost all games I play. It gives me a happy medium of
    My Full Killzone Review! (Multiplayer Included) (Minimal Spoilers)

Campaign:

I started up the campaign and decide to play on normal which is what I do for almost all games I play. It gives me a happy medium of difficulty without taking away from the story. The game started up with a little video of what you have missed since the 30 years from Killzone 3. Honestly after the video I was still a little confused about what was going on. Which lets me tell you that you don't need to play the other 3 to understand this one. Once the video was over I took control of a child. I was in what appeared to be my house and was looking out a window at the Helghast detaining people and moving them into a cage. I turn and look to my left and see a man which appears to be my father. He calls me Lucas and informs me that we need to go and that we can only take what we need. He keeps telling me we will be safe once we get to the other side of the wall. As we move out of my room the front door starts rattling with forceful Knocks. The person on the otherwise of the door keep yelling, "Open Up!" My dad says, We have to move now!" You spend a good amount of time working your way to the wall trying not to get caught.

After some unfortunate events that occur you soon start playing as the grown up version of the Lucas. I'd say he is now in his mid twenties. You are the youngest to be accepted into the Shadow Marshall and are proven to be a real asset to the raging war. I now realize that we are in a constant war with the Helghast. The people on the other side of the wall (YOU) are called Vekten. We supposedly took their planet from them and they want it back.

While playing through the game I didn't feel very attached to the story. It seemed pointless at times and sometimes just to many errands to run before I could leave an area. It got a little repetitive in the sense you always had to go turn this off or destroy this. What didn't help any is that the A.I. Was horrid and acted so dumb. It wasn't until around chapter 6 where the story got a little better and tried to recover from the rocky start. It however was too late to save it. Towards the end of the game I just wanted to be done with it so I could say I beat it.

Once I completed Chapter 9 I thought the game was over. The credits started rolling and I was left confused and frustrated. I felt like I did all this work and achieved nothing. Then all of the sudden the credits got hacked and I was back in for Chapter 10. I must say I was relieved that it didn't end the way I thought it did.

All in all the story wasn't half bad but at the same time wasn't anything to run home about. It really had trouble keeping me involved and interested which left me feeling bored throughout the game. It had its moments but not enough to keep the story alive.

Graphics:

Not much needs to be said here. The graphics were on par and probably some of the best I've seen for any game. It seems like they spent a lot of time perfecting the lighting and the detail to the objects and environment. I could easily tell this was a true next gen game.

A few things I noticed is it had some slight frame rate issues when the environment was collapsing. Also I noticed when you looked out yonder it was very pixelated and smeared together. Now the only thing that bugged me was the cut scenes looked worse the the actual gameplay. I have never seen anything like this. It is usually the exact opposite. I don't understand how this happened but it seemed like they rushed them. They were clunky and not very well put together.

Other then those few things I was impressed with the detail and it blows my mind that this is the first game out on the console. I can't wait to see how they improve and polish. I believe we can get even better looking titles.

Gameplay:

This is were the game lacked. It had so many problems that it felt like a drag just to play. I had so many times were I had to reload checkpoints because I would get stuck or things wouldn't happen that were supposed to happen.

Don't even get me started on the A.I.! They were horrible and quite frankly unacceptable. This is a next gen game... Why are the A.I. some of the worst I have ever seen. It seems like to me they spent all their time on the graphics and not a lot of time on anything else. This is no way of launching a title to start off the next generation of gaming. Let me give you an example of how bad these A.I. were. I happened to be sneaking around from cover to cover and accidentally walked right out in front of 3 enemies. I literally froze and waited for them to shoot my face in. One of them said, "I think I see something." The other 2 are oblivious to what is going on. He sits there and moves his body from left to right as if he was trying to see better. Now at this point I think to myself, why haven't I died yet. I am standing 5 feet from 3 enemies in plain sight and they can't see me? Just an FYI it was not at all dark. I was outside in the beaming sun standing right in front of these 3 Helghast. I decide to test my luck and melee the first enemy. Once again the other 2 are oblivious to what is happening. I then shoot the other 2 and somehow make it out of there without a bullet being shot at me. Now this wasn't the only time this happened. They either were really blind or could see you across the map. It got really annoying and made me rage a few times.

Now here is something that really bugged me as well. Why the heck aren't we allowed to activate the flashlight on your gun or suit? Most of the time I would be in an area that is pitch black and is almost impossible to navigate. I had to turn up my gamma so much just to see that it made the graphics look bad. Sometimes your objective marker wouldn't even show up so you would have to roam around until you found the right way which was very hard to do in the dark.

Multiplayer:

When I went to the multiplayer menu I noticed there wasn't any customization tab for your character or a load out menu or anything. I decided to just jump in a match. It automatically put me in with some random class. I then found out I could pause the game and change my class. They had a bunch of random classes but none that you could make on you own. Also I noticed after playing a few matches that there wasn't any progressive leveling system. It was just accomplish certain challenges. I didn't really like the whole multiplayer layout. However the gameplay was smooth and the graphics were just as good as the campaign and that is something you don't see everyday. They had a couple game mode but not enough to keep me interested. I got bored of the multiplayer fast. I decided to go back and play the Campaign again.

Conclusion:

In the end the game was just alright. It had its ups and downs. The only thing that this game really shines in is the graphics. I would recommend this game if you were renting it or if the price comes down. I wouldn't spend $65 on it. However if you dying for a game to play on the next gen then by all means have at it. It isn't a terrible choice.

Verdict: 1-10 (10 Being The Best)

Campaign 7
    Graphics 9
    Gameplay 6
    Multiplayer 5

Average Score 6.75

Second Look:
    I decided to play the campaign through again but this time on Hard difficulty. I liked it a lot better. The A.I. Was slightly better and it was actually fun and challenging at the same time. Final Score: 7.5

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Feb 13, 2014
    A very good and varied multiplayer FPS. Some things, like the big attack/defend scenarios, were better on Killzone 3. [Jan 2014]
  2. Jan 22, 2014
    In attempting to juggle so many balls at once, it simply loses control and bats them all over the place in a crazed, lurching frenzy as it tries to stop the whole thing from falling apart.
  3. Jan 15, 2014
    Whatever the reason was for making Shadow Fall in the first place, the result is a mixture of bland, annoying and weird.