• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 15, 2013
6.5

1. Apr 5, 2014
    Knack simply isn't as bad as many "professional" reviewers make it out to be. It's not great by any means but it's not that great either. I'll start off with what it did well. It looks really nice with a wonderful art style and aesthetic. Switching from cut scene to gameplay is really smooth. I really liked Knack as a character he was pretty good unlike pretty much everyone else. ItKnack simply isn't as bad as many "professional" reviewers make it out to be. It's not great by any means but it's not that great either. I'll start off with what it did well. It looks really nice with a wonderful art style and aesthetic. Switching from cut scene to gameplay is really smooth. I really liked Knack as a character he was pretty good unlike pretty much everyone else. It didn't do anything terrible just not good enough. I'd say it's too simple for it's own good honestly. You don't have very many options when approaching situations since you only have 1 combo. I feel like if there was just more to it it would be fantastic and the game screams that there should be more but there just isn't. The story isn't all that great and the dialog is pretty crap honestly. I'd really like to see sequel honestly. There needs to be a lot of improvements though especially in the combat. They need to improve on what they have and add more to it and then i think it could be absolutely wonderful. Expand
  2. Nov 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First thing's first: disregard ALL the people comparing this game to the likes of Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and the like. This is NOT like those in ANY way, besides the cartoony visuals, which, admittedly, look good. I'll start by saying this: this game is best for kids and video game newcomers. Whereas the aforementioned games allowed for several fun styles of gameplay, Knack relies on but one, which it hammers into the ground. Not only is it painfully linear, but the combat is rediculously repetitive, never deviating from the same triple strike combo, Sonic the Hedgehog-like homing attack knock back move, and iffy dodge maneuver, and if you're only interested in looking at pretty scenery while smashing stuff, I've not said anything to turn you off. The issue is that this overly simplistic style of gameplay doesn't jibe with the game's intentions concerning the story. Put simply, the story tries. If that sounds too broad and unspecific, I'll elaborate. What does Knack try to do or be? The answer is, a lot. One minute, the plot is centered around the ongoing feud between the humans and goblins, with titular character Knack flung in the middle as a weapon of the former against the latter. Deeper investigation shows the power struggle dates back to a war that socially and technologically sent the goblins back to the proverbial stone age. Done right, this story could have delved deeper into these developments to tell a compelling tale that blurred the lines between right and wrong. But as soon as that begins to flesh out, the plot switches up, focusing instead on the wealthy and politically powerful main antagonist bent on using Knack as a key to a mysterious door, then using the main characters to unknowingly lead him to it when that proves as fruitless, for the purpose of revolutionizing the world with the technology he will find behind said door. Until about 75% into the story, the protagonists and the antagonists are generally hostile and work against each other for no apparent reason, because again, the story isn't written very well. Through all this, there are mini conflicts, such as Knack being little more than a tool, making few decisions on his own (yet trying to have some personality as a character), the Doctor(who apparently has no name)'s assistant struggling to be listened to, and the Doctor's thought a to a be a late beloved working for the enemy. None of the plot elements, large or small, are ever explored well, and very few go well with a gameplay style that is purely centered around running forward, gradually getting bigger, and smashing things. On top of that, the dialogue is quite bland. In short, this game tries to be simple and deep at the same time, overdoing one, and failing miserably at the other. Still, there's nothing mechanically wrong with the game, and Knack's gradual increase in size from a runt to a titan is satisfying. So if you can look past the tons of wasted potential this game had, by all means, pick it up. Expand
  3. Dec 30, 2014
    This is an example of a game where everything SHOULD be right and yet, it isn't. The platforming mechanics are tried-and-true, the level design is well done, and the concept ranks up there with any successful platformer. Yet it falls flat thanks to input lag and sluggish movement.

On Normal and Hard, the timing to avoid attacks and avoid being one-hit or two-hit KO'd are unforgiving but the character's slow movement and the easily countable 1-2 second input lag often makes such timing impossible to achieve. The amount of times this leads to player death is the single most frustrating part of the game. There's nothing like fighting to get through a section only to die because Knack doesn't punch when you tell him to punch, or strafe when you tell him to strafe. Couple that with the fact that checkpoints may be anywhere from 10 seconds to several minutes further back and it's just a recipe for frustration.

Knack is a great example of snatching defeat from the jaws of success. By all accounts it should be a solid platformer but the sluggishness and imprecise controls ruin the experience and immersion.
  4. Apr 14, 2014
    Knack tries to bring the action-platformer back to PlayStation consoles. Knack is the story of a special relic that can control other relics around it to form the being know as Knack. Knack's story is simple like a Saturday morning cartoon. The game play is more action game than platformer, throwing a lot of enemies at you. The game is pretty difficult for a "kid's game" as Knack's healthKnack tries to bring the action-platformer back to PlayStation consoles. Knack is the story of a special relic that can control other relics around it to form the being know as Knack. Knack's story is simple like a Saturday morning cartoon. The game play is more action game than platformer, throwing a lot of enemies at you. The game is pretty difficult for a "kid's game" as Knack's health quickly goes down against a worthy opponent if you are not careful. As Knack grows in size, so does the game's fun, fighting bigger enemies and not having to worry about your health. There are a few puzzles but they are simple and do not take much effort to solve. Knack looks like a really sharp Saturday morning cartoon, colorful and full of charm. Knack might not bring the genre that inspired it back on new consoles, but it is still a fun game for all audiences. Expand
  5. Mar 13, 2014
    Knack came bundled with my PS4, and it took about 2 months before I finally got bored enough with my other games to dust this one off and finally give it a go. In short, this game is at the very least playable. Not terrible, but not in the Pantheon of all time greats either. Just a middle of the road, quite conservative game. It's simplistic in its concept; you begin each stage as Knack inKnack came bundled with my PS4, and it took about 2 months before I finally got bored enough with my other games to dust this one off and finally give it a go. In short, this game is at the very least playable. Not terrible, but not in the Pantheon of all time greats either. Just a middle of the road, quite conservative game. It's simplistic in its concept; you begin each stage as Knack in his base form (small and quite fragile) and as you progress you assimilate artifacts that allow Knack to grow and become more powerful. You can also harness the power of "Sun Stones" collected throughout the game to unleash special attacks every so often. Naturally, this makes stages easier as you go along instead of becoming progressively more difficult. Traditionally games go from Easy >> Hard, but in Knack you end each stage as a towering behemoth capable of crushing any enemy with absurd ease. Ironic, because in the earlier portions of each level Knack is small and easily defeated. My biggest gripe is that it's impossible to tell how powerful an enemy is until it's too late. You can get body slammed by a giant ogre and take minimal damage, but get speared by a flaming arrow and be instantly destroyed. Controls are also inconsistent, with attacks constantly missing due to Knack having the punching range of a T-Rex.

Knack does do some things right, though. Whenever you gather artifacts or extra powers, the audio sound effect transmits through your Dualshock 4 controller which is pretty cool. There are also hidden relics scattered throughout Knack's realm that when gathered make the game more enjoyable. Aesthetically the graphics are sharp, albeit not what you would expect from a PS4 title. Knack could definitely pass as a PS2 game, with games like Jak and Ratchet producing a similar look over 10 years ago.

Finally, the story is generic and quite unengaging. I had a difficult time connecting with any of the characters, which in turn diminished my ability to fully enjoy the game (being that gameplay and story are 2 core elements to any successful video game). Knack would have been better off as a mute; it seemed awkward every time he opened his mouth and engaged the antagonists in conversation with his deep, booming voice.

So yeah, Knack definitely has it's ups and downs, but is absolutely a respectable title. Not worth $60 by any means, but for those seeking more of a classic game with that nostalgic feel to it, Knack might supply you with that for 10 or so hours. I would consider investing in a potential sequel, provided that it shows more innovation and plot consideration. Overall, Knack gets a 6/10 here.
  6. Mar 10, 2014
    This game is a fine tech demo to show what the ps4 can do, it's good for the first 1-2 hours however it starts to get boring after a while and I wished it were over. I know that this is marketed towards children however I really don't recommend it to most children because it can be difficult even on normal.
  7. Mar 11, 2014
    Knack is definitely a game that doesnt know what it wants to be. It is beautiful, with cartoonish characters and graphics and pleasing score, making it steathily hidden as a childs game, yet the frustratingly difficult gameplay makes it something to keep out of the children's hands. On the normal difficulty, most enemies can one shot you, and on easy it is only a little better. I had noKnack is definitely a game that doesnt know what it wants to be. It is beautiful, with cartoonish characters and graphics and pleasing score, making it steathily hidden as a childs game, yet the frustratingly difficult gameplay makes it something to keep out of the children's hands. On the normal difficulty, most enemies can one shot you, and on easy it is only a little better. I had no trouble getting used to the timing based combat, but my girlfriend was not so lucky.
    Paired with constant interruptions in gameplay to show ten second scenes of knack jumping to a platform or killing a big boss lead to a good amount of down time and pulls away from the action.
    Fans of games such as crash bandicoot will find a good time here, as well as others looking for a cute challenge, but for the rest of us... There's not much else
  8. Nov 25, 2013
    Don't understand how or why this game got bashed so hard. It's not bad it's just not great. It's a decent launch title for what it's worth and a lot more fun then Killzone Shadow Fall. Graphics and sprites are nice and the game itself kept me interesting the whole way through. That being said it may not be worth the price tag it offers very little in terms of replay value but it would haveDon't understand how or why this game got bashed so hard. It's not bad it's just not great. It's a decent launch title for what it's worth and a lot more fun then Killzone Shadow Fall. Graphics and sprites are nice and the game itself kept me interesting the whole way through. That being said it may not be worth the price tag it offers very little in terms of replay value but it would have been a solid pick up via the closest bargain bin. Expand
  9. Nov 15, 2013
    Knack certainly has surprised me in a good way, after several bad reviews I almost didn't buy it, but I'm glad I did it, it's a game that is focused mainly on a younger audience, but that's no reason a mature gamer can't enjoy it, it's not the best launch for the ps4, but it's certainly a good time killer when you have nothing better to play.
  10. Nov 18, 2013
    At first glance, Knack is repetitive and boring. I'll admit that on the first three stages, I didn't think I would keep playing. However, after the first real boss, it clicked. I just got it.

The gameplay is repetitive and consists of just a few buttons over and over again. Furthermore, every level starts with a small Knack; then he gets super big; and then he shrinks at the end. However, this just makes it feel like a Saturday-morning cartoon. If you play it as a serial, with each chapter/level being one play experience, it feels like the standard rise and fall of other cartoons.

There are tons of collectibles, and while they are easy to find, it's still exciting to discover a new relic or gadget. I think I'm halfway through the game, and I've only built the three-part Battery. If I can build the Secret Detector, I can see myself playing through the game again.

As much as I'm enjoying the game, I don't think it's a $60 game. If you find it for $20 or less, this is a must-own, but right now, it's price makes it a bit of a disappointment.
  11. Nov 22, 2013
    Something in the back of my head was telling me that Knack wasn't the game it was hyped up to be. I kind of fell for the hype expecting a much more expanded game play adventure, but it's pretty much a straightforward, linear action game. The promotion of the game revolved around how big Knack can grow, and it is true that he can grow enormously huge. However, the problem with that is theSomething in the back of my head was telling me that Knack wasn't the game it was hyped up to be. I kind of fell for the hype expecting a much more expanded game play adventure, but it's pretty much a straightforward, linear action game. The promotion of the game revolved around how big Knack can grow, and it is true that he can grow enormously huge. However, the problem with that is the game decides when this happens and can take your size away from you almost as fast as achieving it. There was one part where Knack gave away all his relics, shrinking down to minimal size, to power a fan. A fan? Really?

My major complaint with the game is that Knack relies too much on a trial-and-error gameplay. What do I mean by trial-and-error, I mean if you play on Normal or Hard difficulty, the majority of the time you will die in 1 or 2 hits. After each time, you will restart at the checkpoint. This doesn't seem too bad, but the sunstones you used to not revert back when you start again at the checkpoint. This becomes annoying because the sunstone gauge fills up very slowly. You only have three gauges and one special move uses one of those. Sometimes you might find yourself stuck in a situation that will require about 4-10 replays because you die very easily. This wouldn't be much of a problem if the enemies throw cheap shots at you.

Last complaint, the storyline is close to non-existent. Knack is created, or discovered, to fight off Goblins, and an evil corporate millionaire wants Knack for himself. That is pretty much the storyline. You would expect a character like Knack to have some personality like Sly Cooper, Ratchet or Jak, but he is about as interesting as a basketball player pursuing an acting career. All of the other characters are stereotypical and stock. As you watch the cut-scenes, you may have trouble relating to any of the characters because each one is bland.

The game isn't terrible, it is okay in my opinion. Is it worth $60? No, definitely not. Is it worth $30? That is probably a more reasonable price, so I would wait until it drops in price. The graphics are incredibly good and the game play can be draw you in. You may even find yourself seeking a higher difficulty, such as myself, regardless of the cheap shots.
  12. Mar 20, 2014
    This game should have been offered free to consumers, since only serves to demonstrate some elements that the device is capable of doing, nothing more.
  13. Nov 21, 2013
    A game that deserves merit on the launch line-up for the PS4.
    There is definitely fun to be had, and though at times the difficulty can make the game feel unrewarding, it is just a treat to have a game that is as accessible and challenging again.
    A game that deserves merit on the launch line-up for the PS4.
    Less of an action platformer, though there were some tough sections which required much trial and error to pass, the game takes on more of a beat-em-up style as you plod through the increasingly hard enemy types.

In top form of the Dreamworks or Pixar B-Movie, the writing is not the reason to approach the game, however the often reoccurring "one-liners" and overall lighthearted humour kept me chuckling throughout. The repetitive, yet addictive nature of the gameplay is the reason to keep playing until the end, and then several times through again if you want to go for the pesky Platinum!

The visual style is definitely not something that can boast next-gen tech, but it is still pretty in a childishly, whimsy kind of way.

Overall a solid launch title. People who think that this is an awful launch line-up have obviously not been around long enough to remember the likes of the PS2 and PS3 launch well enough to know that those were both god-awful.

Worth playing.

Jack Valentine
  14. Jan 25, 2014
    this game has nice graphics and a decent story. the gameplay is also pretty good but can get pretty monotonous at times. the best parts of the game are when you become giant knack and can just rampage, however when you go back to regular knack it's just not as fun. it's a fun game, but could have been way better than it was.
  15. Nov 20, 2013
    This is a game of unfulfilled potential. Almost every facet of the game is near the level of quality of modern gaming but lack the certain polish of the next generation. It seems that every good aspect of Knack is balanced with a flaw. Visually, the game can be quite impressive: the myriad of little pieces that come together to form Knack, the cartoony character design of the mainThis is a game of unfulfilled potential. Almost every facet of the game is near the level of quality of modern gaming but lack the certain polish of the next generation. It seems that every good aspect of Knack is balanced with a flaw. Visually, the game can be quite impressive: the myriad of little pieces that come together to form Knack, the cartoony character design of the main characters, the quite paced action of fighting and platforming; however, the game also lacks severely in several visual aspects: the terrible rending and detail of objects (made especially obvious when shown in cutscenes); the plain, uninspired, cookie-cutter enemies; the moments of lag and random cutscenes to show Knack jump down from a lenge which bring the game to halts. The story, too, is a bit of a mess. Cerny described the game of being of Pixar/Disney quality, but the story is cliche and quite boring in fact. Many possible conflicts are resolved in seconds; for example, Knack gets blown up and destroyed by several of the antagonists at many points in the game, causing tension and questions of what is to happen next, just to have him reform seconds later. The contrasting aspects of Knack become apparent also during gameplay. Knack's moves are very simple and intuitive his true power comes from his growth and size; however, the game makes you feel so powerful and so weak simultaneously by allowing you to grow to gargantuan sizes but having enemies still do a ton of damage per landed hit. Dodging is really your only defense which, lucky, is made quick and easily by the use of the right analog stick; there is more variety in the game place by the unlocking of equipment parts throughout the game, but unfortunately they will come to almost no use unless you place through a second time because most of the special equipment parts are only finish by the final few chapters in the game. Along with pieces of relics, Knack can grow larger with pieces of wood, ice, etc. These pieces add a bit of defense for Knack; however, they are underused and their uses for solving puzzles are obvious. Knack overall is a game lacking polish, and it is not Cerny Games they have made several great titles. It is obvious that the game was under extreme time constraints. The story is mediocre, the graphics are bad for last gen, and the combat is lacking. But it is the most unique retail game launching for the PS4; if you like difficulty and action platformers, pick this one up. If you can look over all of the flaws of Knack, it could be a good thing to waste you time on. Just skip the cut scenes. Expand
  16. Apr 14, 2015
    Game is awesome. Story is not bad, Gameplay is awesome, Cutscenes is very very good. Knack is awesome. KNACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My Score : 8/10
  17. Jan 28, 2014
    Reviewers seemed to have a bizarre and completely unrealistic expectation of this game. It's just a simple but fun little adventure game. It's not very ambitious, but it's decent and enjoyable. Just make sure if you're a gamer that you play on Hard mode. Only being able to take 2 or 3 hits gives the game the hectic and fast deaths and playability of the classic Crash Bandicoot series. It'sReviewers seemed to have a bizarre and completely unrealistic expectation of this game. It's just a simple but fun little adventure game. It's not very ambitious, but it's decent and enjoyable. Just make sure if you're a gamer that you play on Hard mode. Only being able to take 2 or 3 hits gives the game the hectic and fast deaths and playability of the classic Crash Bandicoot series. It's nothing special, but it's nothing like the terrible game reviewers are making it out to be. I honestly hope there'll be a sequel even. Expand
  18. Nov 16, 2013
    knack has a colourful pallet and solid graphics and aim mainly at women and children gamers as appose to the hard core audience,. So in essence it happily fills a genre in the launch line up
  19. Nov 21, 2013
    Not sure why it's being panned by critics. It may be simple but its a lot of fun. Game looks great, controls great and overall a great experience. If you have a PS4 its a great buy.
  20. Nov 20, 2013
    A great and enjoyable game for PS4 owners. Reminds me of Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted. The graphics are incredible. The only thing I wish for them to have in the game is with various transformations, he gains various moves rather than the same.
  21. Aug 7, 2014
    An under-appreciated, but somewhat underachieved game.

Knack, at least to me, seemed to be advertised as a platformer, akin to Banjoo Kazooie, or Mario. But this is very misleading. Knack is an action/adventure game. The concept of Knack is pretty great, a futuristic relic-based entity, with a lot of character and a beautiful aesthetic. Knack could've been a great game. It's
    An under-appreciated, but somewhat underachieved game.

Knack could've been a great game. It's biggest let downs are the fact it's too easy, too linear, and not really a platformer. The very few instanced that Knack has platform climbing elements are good but far too brief, and the game literally rips the element away from you after a few dozen platforms ("from now on let's just use some ropes instead"). The final battle was amazing, very challenging and enjoyable, and the few mini boss fights were exciting and challenging. I even enjoyed overcoming the smaller enemies as a smaller Knack, and utilising the various power-up style enhancements, (such as fire, ice, metal). But Knack is just far too linear, you literally move along the only path available, and kill thing in the way. If you die, you restart at a checkpoint and aside from when the game forces you to use fuse with fire/ice/metal, it's isn't a selectable option, there's no puzzle element at all.

The only thing that even remotely resembles puzzle is finding secrets, and honestly, unless you forget they exist, they're extremely easy to find, almost every secret door stands out like a sore thumb.

So exploration is very thing, puzzle is almost non existent, and the game is very linear. So you can understand why people tend to rate this game very low.
    However, all that said, I greatly enjoyed Knack. The game was fun, interesting, the controls were good, and I honestly feel Knack could've been a great game if it wasn't so linear and so easy.

I recommend Knack, you can pick it up pretty cheap, and I'm sure it'll be free on PS+ soon.
  22. May 10, 2014
    Not as bad as people say. It's not really good a platformer as Mario, not as good combat as Dark Souls, and not as good a launch title as Killzone Shadowfall. But I still enjoyed this game. I think this game is part of an all new genre, a genre that the Lego games started- it is a lot like a Lego game, like a Lego game if it was made from Pixar-or-Dreamworks quality CGI rather than...LegoNot as bad as people say. It's not really good a platformer as Mario, not as good combat as Dark Souls, and not as good a launch title as Killzone Shadowfall. But I still enjoyed this game. I think this game is part of an all new genre, a genre that the Lego games started- it is a lot like a Lego game, like a Lego game if it was made from Pixar-or-Dreamworks quality CGI rather than...Lego (which, I guess is the whole POINT of Lego games, but whatever). But the story is nowhere near that quality. Expand
  23. Dec 31, 2013
    It looks lovely and it's a real throwback to old platform games on the N64. I thought it was great fun, although it did get a bit samey after the first half. But at least it was nice to see a game that's trying to be fun rather than more sequels to linear shooters.
  24. Oct 12, 2014
    A solid 7. It's not a bad game, with decent mechanics and a fun character. The game clocks in around 10 hours, which is more than enough of the repetitive play run-punch-punch-die-punch-punch-die formula. The game is pretty unforgiving when you get hit, so there is a lot of repeating areas. That wouldn't be so bad except once you learn all the moves (in the first level), it's just more ofA solid 7. It's not a bad game, with decent mechanics and a fun character. The game clocks in around 10 hours, which is more than enough of the repetitive play run-punch-punch-die-punch-punch-die formula. The game is pretty unforgiving when you get hit, so there is a lot of repeating areas. That wouldn't be so bad except once you learn all the moves (in the first level), it's just more of the same throughout the whole game. It's a good casual platformer but nothing to get excited about. Expand
  25. Nov 5, 2014
    Knack is an exclusive launch title for the PS4 from SCE Japan Studio, the studio who developed such series as Ape Escape, LocoRoco, and Patapon. Does this launch title warrant purchase, or should you just forget about it and wait until something else comes along?

While not one of my most played games, Knack has been one of my more played platform games in recent memory. Knack enlists a charming cast of cartoony characters, of which the most notable is Knack, who is developed to save humanity from impending doom. Players will battle through a linear, easy to follow campaign and collect a variety of collectibles while solving puzzles and smashing enemies into bits. While comedic in appearance, Knack will provide a challenging experience for all skill levels and ages, and has quite the learning curve as players will quickly find themselves repeating areas over and over to master their strategy. While Knack surely will not be crowned this year for any breakthroughs in gaming, it does provide a refreshing experience filled with outstanding visuals and a high level of replayability for a platformer, easily warranting the purchase price for this unique title. Knack is the perfect addition to any collection and will provide a fun experience for any level of skill or age.
  26. Dec 10, 2014
    Don't understand all the hate that this game gets, it's very old school like from the Ps1 era. While it may not be as good as those games Knack is still very enjoyable.
  27. May 9, 2014
    Very average game, but I guess that is to be expected with a launch title.. I can't see why anyone could give this game a 10.. I mean if you gave this game a 10 then chances are you have not played many games or any for that matter... This is a mediocre title and I got bored with it fast. I know that we PS4 owners have not had many games to play on the system but pretty much any otherVery average game, but I guess that is to be expected with a launch title.. I can't see why anyone could give this game a 10.. I mean if you gave this game a 10 then chances are you have not played many games or any for that matter... This is a mediocre title and I got bored with it fast. I know that we PS4 owners have not had many games to play on the system but pretty much any other platformer is better than this game... I doubt people will ever return to this game in the future and therefore the game is forgettable and I doubt anyone will remember this game in 5 years.... All I can say is that it is boring, repetitive and not a very good game to show off the PS4.. I mean the graphics and frame rate are decent for what it is, but it's not a very fun game.. If you have a knack to play this game then I suggest that you wait until this game is in the bargain bin because dropping 60 dollars on this game will be full of regret unless you got money to throw away.. Expand
  28. Jan 28, 2014
    It's not that Knack is a bad game; by all means it is not. It's just a... "meh" kind of game. And it is embarrassing that THIS is a launch title that - supposedly - shows the power of Sony's next gen console. Knack is fun, although boring and repetitive. The story is confusing, the graphics and sound are nothing to write home about, the characters are not convincing and, to be honest, itIt's not that Knack is a bad game; by all means it is not. It's just a... "meh" kind of game. And it is embarrassing that THIS is a launch title that - supposedly - shows the power of Sony's next gen console. Knack is fun, although boring and repetitive. The story is confusing, the graphics and sound are nothing to write home about, the characters are not convincing and, to be honest, it looks like a PS3 game. I have the feeling that Knack was a late project that they decided to convert into a PS4 title - knowing that there wouldn't be many available on day 1. Like a said, not a bad game. Just very frustrating as a launch title. Expand
  29. Nov 22, 2013
    I'm actually pretty shocked with the reception critics have given this game. It's not a mind blowing experience, but it is solid, legitimately difficult, and charming. The combat while enjoyable (especially if you play on Easy but hard generally results in 1-2 hits you die, which made the game especially challenging) does garner it's difficulty by exploiting the combat system. Enemies willI'm actually pretty shocked with the reception critics have given this game. It's not a mind blowing experience, but it is solid, legitimately difficult, and charming. The combat while enjoyable (especially if you play on Easy but hard generally results in 1-2 hits you die, which made the game especially challenging) does garner it's difficulty by exploiting the combat system. Enemies will back up the exact distance they know you can't close in time to hit them, some of the attacks don't register though this was a minor issue.

There was only one level in this entire game that I hated, it offered no story explanation and the cool factor that came with seeing a functional relic factory (i'm guessing) wore off fast as the level felt like a gauntlet.

Overall good game, not a great game, but I found it worth my time. There is some replay ability with the title with a extra hard mode and collectibles to find.
  30. Dec 3, 2013
    The rendering, lighting and shaders looks great. The art style is quirky but somehow feels like it doesn't quite meet the mark (this is no Pixar quality aesthetics). In a new age of games, while design goals of constraining the player less this game takes a step back and is a basic platformer with no camera control and invisible walls corralling the player down a path. Thing is, itThe rendering, lighting and shaders looks great. The art style is quirky but somehow feels like it doesn't quite meet the mark (this is no Pixar quality aesthetics). In a new age of games, while design goals of constraining the player less this game takes a step back and is a basic platformer with no camera control and invisible walls corralling the player down a path. Thing is, it doesn't even do a very good job of pulling off this rather simple game design. The coolest thing here is the character Knack, but even the glitz and panache in his design is just an illusion, there really is not any extraordinary game design going on here this could have been something much better and more unique.

This game is a PS4 rendering demo but even on that front, the art style and aesthetic misses the mark and holds even that aspect back from being anything great.
  31. May 4, 2015
    I started this game with a friend, cause I read that there is 2-player-coop possible.
    To my mind this coop is very bad or at least started very bad.
    If player 2 dies he can just press a button to come back, but if player 1 dies you start at the last checkpoint. Cutscenes are only with player 1! Graphics are not so overwhelming too. Everything felt a bit wrong, meanwhile I like this kind
    To my mind this coop is very bad or at least started very bad.
    Cutscenes are only with player 1! Graphics are not so overwhelming too. Everything felt a bit wrong, meanwhile I like this kind of game (Rayman is great!).
    We stopped playing this after 30-45min, because we thought that this is not meant to be played with 2 players.
    The coop is disappointing. Maybe I will play it alone sometime later.
  32. Feb 22, 2015
    When I heard for the first time knack, I was excited to finally have come a successor to adventure games amused me in the family playstation.
    But to have had many negative reviews, I was afraid to buy it, but when it finally did, it was not my surprise when I saw that all that waiting was there, only very superficially, the devs, should have been more thorough in history and the characters.

positive:

Characters without depth;
    short;
    No replay factor
  33. Jul 25, 2014
    Knack is a visually stunning game, that is also fun to play (with a two-played Co-Op feature), has an interesting story, and a distinct sense of originality. The story, while starting off simply, has a predictable plot-twist, and soon tangents off into a massive race for some Giant relics, I genuinely felt like nothing I did was pointless, and enjoyed the simplistic, yet interestingKnack is a visually stunning game, that is also fun to play (with a two-played Co-Op feature), has an interesting story, and a distinct sense of originality. The story, while starting off simply, has a predictable plot-twist, and soon tangents off into a massive race for some Giant relics, I genuinely felt like nothing I did was pointless, and enjoyed the simplistic, yet interesting storyline. The gameplay is solid, fun and original (you start with barely any health, and have to increase your health bar using relics) yet becomes infuriating towards the end, due to awful checkpoints and awful enemy-you balance. However, the difficulty of the game has a smooth, subtle curve. Visually, it's beautiful, there are some framerate issues, but overall it's stunning. Don't listen to the reviewers, on this one anyway. Expand
  34. Dec 6, 2013
    The game is good, but had a lot more potential. It is very linear. In some levels the goblins are facing back and there are cars. Why not let you use that to sneak? It is things like this that would have made this game a lot better than it is.
  35. Feb 21, 2014
    the game itself is alright, but the time too release was wrong and the demand wasn't met, at all.

Knack is a fairly decent platform-er with a few interesting Concepts (Growth being a major one), and the story is alright, even if it suffers from a constantly changing tone and direction, but the game is let down by its average performance, horribly ugly protagonist and lets be honest, the game is stretched out, far, far, far, far to much. 11 Hours for Knack is just too much. a casual game that a family can enjoy together, great if you're interested in it, but for gamers who wish to take full advantage of the PS4's capabilities, try Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty Ghosts.
  36. Feb 11, 2014
    The combat is quite simple, bit to simple, the graphics resemble a pixar movie, they are simple but actually quite good. you get to control knack a creature that can grow in ability and size, the combat may be misled in this game due to the colourful graphics, but it can be quite challenging and even frustrating sometimes. It's one of the them pick me up for a hour games, then put down.The combat is quite simple, bit to simple, the graphics resemble a pixar movie, they are simple but actually quite good. you get to control knack a creature that can grow in ability and size, the combat may be misled in this game due to the colourful graphics, but it can be quite challenging and even frustrating sometimes. It's one of the them pick me up for a hour games, then put down. the level design can be diverse at times, but can get a tad stale. however this is in essense a last generation game, but a sometimes fun very simple game. it's not a game i have fallen in love with, just one of them games that fills a drought of titles. Expand
  37. Dec 7, 2013
    Knack is a fun game but I found it best when you played it with the co op. However the story is very cheesy and predictable all the way through. Other than that it's a fun game but nothing to great
  38. Dec 3, 2013
    Habe das Spiel am Wochenende durchgespielt. An sich ist es ein gutes Spiel aber für einen Vollpreistitel doch zu schlecht. Auch ist es für eine Next-Gen Spiel eine Enttäuschung in Sachen Optik.

Gameplay 7/10
    Grafik 6/10
    Sound 5/10
    Story 7/10
  39. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is way better than the reviews make it seem... It's fun and that's all it needs to be... The graphics are a crisp and a nice departure from all the "photo realistics" being released with this generation... The story and the camera are the games only downfall in my eyes; I wish there were camera controls, sometimes when running around a corner, the transition isn't fast enough andThis game is way better than the reviews make it seem... It's fun and that's all it needs to be... The graphics are a crisp and a nice departure from all the "photo realistics" being released with this generation... The story and the camera are the games only downfall in my eyes; I wish there were camera controls, sometimes when running around a corner, the transition isn't fast enough and you're right in a battle... But that's my only gameplay gripe. This game is a TRUE 6-7/10... Zero's should not be given to a game like this, cause its playable, it may be mindless and simple, but it's playable... at least give it 2 points for that aspect. Expand
  40. Nov 25, 2013
    Knack is a decent enough game but it is not on the nintendo or past level of sony mascot platformer quality. The knack character him self is interesting in that he is not just another muscled dude holding a gun like most games these days. But is he on the level of ps1 era crash spyro, or ratchet and clank/jak and daxter. Mario yoshi/sonic No.

You will not find any revolutionary gameplay

You will not find any revolutionary gameplay here either. there is nothing mind blowing like mario 64, mario Galaxy or Jak and daxter/ ratchet and clank. you could also say last gens launch title Kameo was a way better crafted more interesting game to play and had a more impressive leap in graphics or the dreamcast with sonic adventure. Knack is only decent enough for a launch title it has no staying power. if you want a game like this pick up mario 3d world wii U or ratchet and clank into the nexus on ps3.
  41. Dec 1, 2013
    Knack was a game I rented with my free trial to Gamefly. I bought 3 games with Ps4, but wanted to make sure I could play every game possible. Knack was such a good family game, my free trial ends in 13 days and its the only one I have rented. If your looking for the next cutting edge platformer with a killer story and more adult features, this isn't it. If you are like me and need a goodKnack was a game I rented with my free trial to Gamefly. I bought 3 games with Ps4, but wanted to make sure I could play every game possible. Knack was such a good family game, my free trial ends in 13 days and its the only one I have rented. If your looking for the next cutting edge platformer with a killer story and more adult features, this isn't it. If you are like me and need a good family game for the kids (10 and under), this is the ONLY PS4 game for you and them. There's two perspectives, adult and kid.
    ADULT: this game can be challenging on even normal difficulty. I haven't tried hard, but I imagine it could kick ya in the teeth pretty good. It has simple yet nice controls, and is very linear. It is not cutting edge, but a very solid and fun platformer. This being said, if you don't have kids or family, this probably isn't for your hardcore gamer. 6 1/2 out of 10.
    Kids: They can't get enough of it. On easy difficulty my 7 year old girl had a challenging, yet very fun time. The story isn't anything a pg movie wouldn't have, but like always, monitor your children. She has beat the game pretty much by herself. She loves the story, characters, and gameplay. If I had two controllers I bet this game would be great fun for parents and kids to play together. Like I stated before, there is nothing else out right now for kids! 8 1/2 out of 10.
  42. Feb 21, 2015
    Good game for my son. He really enjoyed it. We played it together on and off. Unfortunetly the game is not really designed for two people. It has nice visuals and a fun story.
  43. Dec 23, 2013
    Knack is a huge disappointment for me. I was expecting PS4's first great puzzler, along the lines of Portal 2 and Escape Plan, but it just isn't here, which is a shame because Knack's concept is so original and creative. As you go along, you pick up runes that make your body bigger. I thought you were going to be able to control how this effected Knack, but instead it'll be the same thingKnack is a huge disappointment for me. I was expecting PS4's first great puzzler, along the lines of Portal 2 and Escape Plan, but it just isn't here, which is a shame because Knack's concept is so original and creative. As you go along, you pick up runes that make your body bigger. I thought you were going to be able to control how this effected Knack, but instead it'll be the same thing every time. Knack is an incredible character, with a really detailed character model and backstory. The ethos of the world is also memorable and interesting, but the story told within this world is so lacklustre and generic. The same can be said about gameplay. It baisicly comes down to easy puzzles and shallow button mashing. THIS IS UNEXCEPTABLE! NEXT GEN! Puzzle games espicialy have so much poetential to show how the new consoles can make gameplay more dynamic and fresh. However the boss battles in this game are incredible, and are completely the opposite of all other gameplay sections. I know I'm being harsh on the game, but by now I think we should expect more from the once legendary creator of Crash Bandicoot. Expand
  44. Dec 9, 2013
    Over all game play was not like the old school games were as you got farther in the games you got better and stronger. it is definitely not like ratchet and clank. your defense is horrible. if you get hit 3-4 times you will die throwout the whole game. i do give it credit for having an amazing story, and graphics. but over all the games was alright.
  45. Jan 20, 2014
    Knack deserves much more credit than it has been given. It's not an amazing game, but it certainly isn't bad. Knack brings an old school approach similar to Mario where it only takes two hits to die and timing is everything. Even on normal, Knack is a challenge at times.

Unfortunately, Knack fails to capitalize on the concept of Knack's ability to change size and be made out of different materials. Instead those mechanics are always contrived and never a result of player choice. Moreover, the level design is absurdly boring. There are platforming sections sprinkled throughout the game that change up the formula, but they are few and far between.

Knack is never outright boring, but at times it could be tedious using the same 3 attacks over and over on the same 3 enemies. Personally, I loved it regardless of its shortcomings as it took me back in time, and I'll definitely be playing it through again. Objectively however, I can't ignore what others have said and it certainly deserves no higher than a 7.
  46. Jan 4, 2014
    All this game really is is hit enemies and suck up parts to make you bigger. It is fun for the first 2 hours but after that it is repetitive, monotonous, and boring.
  47. Apr 20, 2014
    This game is very hard to review its is a fun game even through the difficulty and it has decent story but the main problem was this was the first ps4 game I played and I could have preordered for infamous second son or bought a ps4 game that was already out but this game was the one I thought I would like it was it was a decent game I had fun with it but because I could have got anotherThis game is very hard to review its is a fun game even through the difficulty and it has decent story but the main problem was this was the first ps4 game I played and I could have preordered for infamous second son or bought a ps4 game that was already out but this game was the one I thought I would like it was it was a decent game I had fun with it but because I could have got another ps4 maybe better than this for the same price this game wasn't the best or worst I have ever played Expand
  48. Jan 22, 2014
    I don't know why people are so hard on knack, the game is ok for a launch game. there is nothing really bad to say about this game. It shows you what the PS4 can do, to be honest when more games come out I really wouldn't recomend this game to anyone but right now it gives you something to play whilst you wait
  49. Jan 18, 2014
    I didn't love this game, I also didn't hate it. I feel that during this launch period and with not many games to go on, it's not a bad game and can recommend picking it up.

GOOD: - The gameplay itself is one that is fairly limited but satisfying. - Graphics are nice to watch, features some very good textures and Knack himself looks good. Bad: - Character development, there is

GOOD:
    - The gameplay itself is one that is fairly limited but satisfying.

Bad:
    - Character development, there is none.
    - Storyline, it's very generic and boring. Most of the time I sided with the bad guys, which is not what have developers were going for.
  50. Jan 21, 2014
    Knack is an okay game not the worst Ive played but no where near the best Ive played. looks great but the the story is boring and repetitive. But as a launch title it was a disappointment.
  51. Feb 7, 2014
    This is a fantastic brawling game. Controlling Knack feels amazing, The environments are just satisfying, the gameplay is fantastic, too!

The part that this game does lose points is the difficulty part. Constantly playing the same part over and over is frustrating, especially since the game looks to grab kid's attention.
  52. Feb 20, 2014
    Was fun, got a bit repetitive though but worth the money.

Finding all the gems got annoying though with all the repeats, but i'd buy Knack 2 if they made it. ;)
  53. Mar 8, 2014
    This game does relate to games such as jak, daxter and Rachet and clank however it gets extremely repetitive and I found it too repetitive to complete the game. There isn't much of a change in gameplay and the difficulty just fluctuates randomly rather then actually getting harder. When you are small you have less health but the enemies are weaker as well but when you are big there areThis game does relate to games such as jak, daxter and Rachet and clank however it gets extremely repetitive and I found it too repetitive to complete the game. There isn't much of a change in gameplay and the difficulty just fluctuates randomly rather then actually getting harder. When you are small you have less health but the enemies are weaker as well but when you are big there are enemies that are just as big as you which makes sense but it seems like the just change the size of everyone with your size. I have to say that if you are getting this for a kid they might like it more but from my perspective it is better to get a game like ratchet and clank on a ps2 then get this "new and improved" game with particle effects everywhere. Expand
  54. Mar 23, 2014
    Always enjoyed platform games and this one is no different. I dont understand all the negative critic responses, what where they expecting? The best from a bunch of poor release games
  55. Jul 14, 2014
    This game is no doubt aimed towards children for maybe a xmas day present (remember it was released in November 2013) The first thing i noticed when starting it up was the graphics, very very poor design and the textures are also very poor, the dialogue is boring, the levels are all the same (EXACTLY the same) the combat is also very poor, as i say its obviously aimed towards youngThis game is no doubt aimed towards children for maybe a xmas day present (remember it was released in November 2013) The first thing i noticed when starting it up was the graphics, very very poor design and the textures are also very poor, the dialogue is boring, the levels are all the same (EXACTLY the same) the combat is also very poor, as i say its obviously aimed towards young children who wouldn't notice or be bothered about such things, however if like me you are what is known as a 'hardcore' gamer who has spent a big amount of money on a next gen console you will no doubt feel let down and disappointed by this game. 5/10 Expand
  56. Jul 26, 2014
    Tiene sus puntos buenos y malos, uno bueno seria su nivel de dificultad porque ya no hemos visto muchos juegos así últimamente, en especial si son de niños.
  57. Aug 3, 2014
    Well, I have beat this game on Hard 3 times and I'm currently playing it on Very Hard and uploading these videos to my YouTube channel, which is called DaTechnoDood LevelX. Anyway, this game is pretty good.

It has fluent controls and an interesting concept, not to mention it gives you a very good challenge; hard so that it makes you push your skills to the limit, but not too hard that it makes you want to quit. (This is if you choose Hard or Very Hard mode. You can only unlock Very Hard once you beat the full story on Hard. You'll breeze by in Easy.) The graphics are actually very well-evolved, solid 1080p cartoon-style graphics. The animation is very fluid and amazing as well.

However, this game does have many flaws. The story is quite bland, and it actually kind of depicts yourself as the bad guy, which in a kids game is unacceptable (except for Mario). The script writing is so cheesy and terrible. Also, after a while, you really start to get bored and just want to play something else.

I give this game a 6/10 because it is a little mediocre, but definitely not as bad as IGN makes it out to be.
  58. Aug 6, 2014
    I'm surprised this has so many low scores. It's not a bad a game as it looks by the meta score. It's great for kids, and it looks nice too. Reminds me of Jak and Daxter.
  59. Nov 16, 2014
    Knack is a 3D platformer developed by Japan Studio. Many people consider this game to be trash and well it isn't the best game ever made it isn't awful. You need to go into this game knowing that you aren't going to get, incredibly graphics, a wonderful story, or anything like that. But it is a fun light-hearted game that is appropriate for the whole family. The music is great and whenKnack is a 3D platformer developed by Japan Studio. Many people consider this game to be trash and well it isn't the best game ever made it isn't awful. You need to go into this game knowing that you aren't going to get, incredibly graphics, a wonderful story, or anything like that. But it is a fun light-hearted game that is appropriate for the whole family. The music is great and when Knack turns big you truly feel powerful. All in all, well not the best game on the PS4 it is a good game to buy on sale or if you have children. Expand
  60. May 15, 2015

1. Feb 13, 2014
    Knack isn't a bad combat platformer, it's just mediocre. It's a kind of God of War for casual players and the fighting works actually quite well. Some boring factory levels should have been cut, though. [Jan 2014]
  2. Jan 26, 2014
    I have absolutely no idea what caused Knack to be the kind of game that is, because it just doesn't make any sense. Whether it's the case of being a a vanity project that went unchecked or just another could-have-been that lost its way while rushing to meet the PS4's launch date, the bottom line is that it's a misguided title too simple for adults and too difficult for children.
  3. Jan 10, 2014
    An awfully boring, repetitive and uninspired game that does absolutely nothing to show PS4’s capabilities but a lot to ruin your day. [01/2014, p.66]