• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 15, 2013
6.5

1. Nov 15, 2013
    This game is a must buy for people who love games like Mario, Jak, Banjo-Kazooie and Ratchet and clank.

Gameplay: Solid, simple, responsive and smooth.It has simple and uncomplicated controls to introduce children to console-based gaming. the game is around 10 hours on normal difficulty. You can upgrade Knack’s abilities and sizes.different materials and elements, which supplement
    Knack’s health and size. Example crystal for stealth ability, Ice and wood.

Graphics: The graphics are gorgeous, pixel art like. Very colorful and vivid scenery. The physics are awesome, Knack's body is composed of individually rendered relics and you can see each piece connecting.

Multiplayer: 2-Player Coop Multiplayer and i have to says its extremely FUN in coop!

I gave this game a 10/10 because i like it and im having a blast playing coop with my kid.
  2. Nov 15, 2013
    One of the first games I picked up at launch. Slow to start but once it starts you really start to enjoy seeing the character's. It has Its humor. Best part is its children friendly so I do not have to worry about any blood and gore. It reminds me of a old school crash game, but with the Graphics of the ps4. Great buy for the whole family. Best of all two kids or more? It has co-op. ends the fighting over who plays first. Expand
  3. Nov 15, 2013
    Knack is not here to break ground. It is not here to blow your mind, or win game of the year. It is not here to be critically acclaimed or sell 10 million copes.

It is here to do one thing, to let you have fun.

Not bogged down by complicated plots, combat upgrades, blah blah blah. Its beauty is in its simplicity, and with that being said this game is damn beautiful. It will challenge
    you veterans and entertain the beginners. It has some real difficulty woven into its fabric but it never becomes frustrating, it also always down to the players mistakes, I never felt robbed or betrayed by the games mechanics.

This is old school platform gaming, revived into a new generation, it is ridiculous amounts of fun. Do not be put off by the reviews who did not understand the wave this game chose to ride, just ride along side it and enjoy yourself in the process.

Game on.
  4. Nov 15, 2013
    I was sold when I heard Cerny was working on it. He is up there with Miyamoto in the platforming genre. He knows how to make a platformer solid, and Knack is the perfect example. It's a straightforward action-platformer that is as solid as a diamond. I hear a lot of people complaining about graphics. These people are the lowest common denominator. They base their next-gen purchases on how many "graphics" are in the game. IDIOTS! They make me want to puke. Don't they know they can buy a $5,000 PC and never worry about graphics for the nest 10 years. Buying a new console is about about new experiences. Knack is a new IP that utilizes old-school ideals, and it does that better than most games in existence. Solid gameplay and fun all that matters and this game has both in spades. Expand
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    Beautiful graphics, amazing gameplay, and an interesting story. Knack may not offer anything new to the table, but is that really such a bad thing? This platformer is surprisingly charming out the gate and worthy of recognition in a world filled with dull platformers.
  6. Nov 15, 2013
    Knack certainly has surprised me in a good way, after several bad reviews I almost didn't buy it, but I'm glad I did it, it's a game that is focused mainly on a younger audience, but that's no reason a mature gamer can't enjoy it, it's not the best launch for the ps4, but it's certainly a good time killer when you have nothing better to play.
  7. Nov 16, 2013
    Better than what most 'critics' give it credit for. Better than what most 'critics' give it credit for. Better than what most 'critics' give it credit for. Better than what most 'critics' give it credit for. Better than what most 'critics' give it credit for.
  8. Nov 16, 2013
    Not sure what the critics are all about but, this game is fun. Most importantly, fun for kids. My 10 year old is absolutely loving it and I'm enjoying, watching him play. The graphics are just fine and the story does it's job. Release lineup or not, I would purchase this again.
  9. Nov 15, 2013
    Knack is a charmer,at first i was skeptical and pessimistic of this game but this game wowed me!!!!!So gr8 for all ages and addictive,buy it u won'st regret it I promise!
  10. Nov 15, 2013
    Knack is a game that could bring much and much more than it eventually became. I don't really mind the graphics which are not really next-gen, but the overall gameplay and story. The gameplay is simple and very bland, which could have been way better. The story is boring and short, I finished the game in like 8 hours or so. Definitely not a day one buy!
  11. Nov 16, 2013
    A simple yet fun beat-em-up with a cast of memorable characters and dazzling visual design. Playing on normal or hard can provide a challenge to those who grew up on Mark Cerny's other titles like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. Not groundbreaking, but it is fun, and when it comes to games, that's all you need.
  12. Hly
    Nov 18, 2013
    Terrible, terrible game. The art style is beyond awful. It requires a special kind of "talent" to make a game this bad. Shallow, uninspired and monotonus gameplay. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this game.
  13. Nov 15, 2013
    Not sure the reviewers were so upset about. This game is pretty addicting. You can see the potential in it throughout. It's slow for the first 20 minutes or so but once the mission starts it's worth checking out. I wouldn't pick it over COD for $60, but I would recommend it if you want something different. It's a mix of God Of War and Mario 64.
  14. Nov 15, 2013
    So Im playing the game on Hard and I will say its fun and frustrating at the same time only because I rage sometimes I will say it can be difficult on hard so if youre like dude this game is easy then play it on hard.
    The animation is amazing, I love the particle effects very bright and vibrant
    The music is pretty good reminds me of old spyro
    The story line is cheesy and kind of bland.

The voice acting is ehh alright.
    Game play mechanics are interesting although Where are the secrets there will be one part where oh well thats obviously a secret other part were its like uhh where is a secret.
  15. Nov 28, 2013
    I cant believe that this is a next generation game.Not to mention a bad platformer.They should have made jak 4 or some thing like that.Bad graphics, story game mechanics..
  16. Dec 5, 2013
    I have not put another game since I started, Knack reminds me of games of my youth (I'm 41 years old) and as a player I can say that I enjoyed it very much, do not get such low reviews, Knack works, entertains and shows the start of the next-gen fairly. Knack should not be played in very large portions, day to day, and will keep you captivated for long time.

No he puesto otro juego
    desde que lo comencé, Knack me recuerda juegos de mi juventud (tengo 41 años) y como jugador puedo decir que lo he disfrutado muchísimo, no entiendo los reviews tan bajos, Knack cumple, entretiene y muestra el inicio de la next-gen de manera justa. Knack debe jugarse en porciones no muy grandes, día a día, y te mantendrá cautivado por mucho tiempo. Expand
  17. Nov 15, 2013
    Simple, but a lot of fun. I like how they mix up the encounters by mixing and matching the various enemy types. The controls are perfect for this kind of game.
  18. Nov 16, 2013
    There is certainly room for improvement, but for newcomers and kids it's a brilliant game to start with. The graphics are very nice and fits well with the style of game, the co-op mode on offer is a great addition, especially with the lack of co-op games available this gen.

Only downsides were that the story felt somewhat dull, yet could understand how kids would of enjoyed it instead.
    The combat is clearly repetitive for the aim to help new players so returning to my initial point; for newcomers and kids it is a great game to start with this generation of consoles. Expand
  19. Nov 17, 2013
    Knack is a pleasant, but safe, introduction to the next gen. The game feels like a mix between Crash Bandicoot platforming and God of War brawling, with a little twist of Pixar character development.

The game can be difficult at times, but not unfair. You're only ever 3 or 4 hits away from death, but the enemy attacks are easy to learn and avoid. There are many secrets to find in the
    game but there is little challenge in finding any of them, as breakable barriers are made ridiculous easy to see. The plot can be a bit cliche at times but is still charming. The 'growing larger' mechanic is cool to watch, but it is a bit gimmicky as the only purpose of it is to move you through the levels as it has little impact on actual gameplay.

All in all, Knack is a pleasant and challenging platformer, but also a safe one. There is little innovation and it follows the rules a bit too closely.
  20. Nov 19, 2013
    I have no clue why critics gave this game poor scores. Knack is actually a surprisingly good and challenging game. Even better, you can play 2 players in this game. For everyone thinking this game is for children, it's definitely not due its great gameplay. and challenging moments. Knack is a game that is definitely worth your time.
  21. Nov 15, 2013
    Fun fun fun! Difficult game that isn't bad to look at! This game combines everything we love about platformers and introduces some lovely visuals and an interesting enough story that is creative as ever. Anyone rating it low simply has not played it or has not given it enough time to grow on them, but for this reviewer it grew on him instantly.
  22. Nov 16, 2013
    Fun platformer. Not overly difficult for young players. Simple mechanics that allow for a low barrier of entry. The story line needs a bit of improvement but my kids don't seem to care. This is their go to game. Difficult setting proves more of a challenge for experienced gamers.
    Visually Knack delivers. Pixar quality animation with a strong, early showing of what the nextgen can do. This
    is just the beginning and as developers have more time to explore the hardware I'm sure we will see some real innovation come about. For now., Knack is a pleasing addition to my game library. Expand
  23. Nov 15, 2013
    This game is a best buy for people who love hard and challenging games i never suspected that such a cartoony game could have such a dark souls feel to it 10/10 must have
  24. Nov 16, 2013
    If you are in any way at all a fan of Ratchet and Clank (R&C) or Jak and Daxter then this is easily a must play. So much fun and very easy to pick up and play. Just like R&C, destroy a few objects and kill a few enemies and move on. The simplicity with beautiful graphics and gameplay that truely is a blast at all levels. The critics have gotten this one wrong as it is definitely a 10/10. Not all games have to require use of every button on the controller with mind numbing hand/eye coordination to be an amazing accomplishment. This is a fine example of that. Expand
  25. Nov 17, 2013
    Critics have been way to harsh on what is an excellent console release game. This game has a campy story with lots of fun collectibles and some very challenging difficulty levels. It may not be a PS4 Mario but it sure isn't a bad game on its on. Great addition to a library for people who enjoy games.
  26. Nov 18, 2013
    At first glance, Knack is repetitive and boring. I'll admit that on the first three stages, I didn't think I would keep playing. However, after the first real boss, it clicked. I just got it.

The gameplay is repetitive and consists of just a few buttons over and over again. Furthermore, every level starts with a small Knack; then he gets super big; and then he shrinks at the end.
    However, this just makes it feel like a Saturday-morning cartoon. If you play it as a serial, with each chapter/level being one play experience, it feels like the standard rise and fall of other cartoons.

There are tons of collectibles, and while they are easy to find, it's still exciting to discover a new relic or gadget. I think I'm halfway through the game, and I've only built the three-part Battery. If I can build the Secret Detector, I can see myself playing through the game again.

As much as I'm enjoying the game, I don't think it's a $60 game. If you find it for $20 or less, this is a must-own, but right now, it's price makes it a bit of a disappointment.
  27. Nov 19, 2013
    Knack failed to achieve the core experience it promised, dissolving my long anticipation for the new ps4. The games only success lies within its audio and presentation unfortunately this wasn't enough justice to sweep the dirt under the carpet. Knack was meant to entertain its audience with a classic platformer experience while introducing new ideas and themes to the genre. Here it comes. Knack was bland, boring, repetitive, short and unoriginal.

Pick up killzone and invest in the PSN titles to avoid the disappointment which knack will deliver.
  28. Nov 19, 2013
    If you love classic platformers then this game is for you. You're given a simple set of abilities with rock solid controls and asked to break stuff for no other reason than to win. Take Crash Bandicoot and remake it for the PS4, and you basically have this game. The challenge is in the level design and the enemies positioning, not in the players abilities to master complicated combos, counter attacks, or an overwhelming stock of weapons, gadgets, or abilities.... you just play! It's got something video games have lost in the last decade and I am happy it has returned. Expand
  29. Nov 20, 2013
    The game turned out pretty boring, and the plot and the gameplay is not breathtaking. Endless fights quickly bored, and besides them in the Knack and do nothing. Seemed to change character stats will affect the gameplay, but no: invisibility or increase the size does not affect the gameplay.
    I'm all hands to play, sending us to the good old days of overflowing originality, but Knack,
    alas, is not one of them. Expand
  30. Nov 20, 2013
    I actually created an account to review this game, because in my opinion the critic score is an injustice. This game is very well done for what it is: a simple premise given a polished execution, with plenty of charm and challenge to carry it through it's ideal length of about 10 hours. The story is pretty forgettable and the moments intended to be poignant fall a little flat, but it doesn't take much away from the overall experience which is really about the combat and collection. I had a great time playing it, and though I won't score it a 10 just to pull the average up, I will give it what it deserves...a solid 8. Expand
  31. Nov 22, 2013
    All games, in their own sense, needs to compel the gamer to play it. Knack makes it feel like a chore if you want to make it feel like you didn't waste $60. The story does not grip you in any way, enemies cheap-shot you with their ridiculous moves, checkpoints are ridiculous, and you are most likely going to die if more than 2 enemies are on screen. Controls in game make it hard to hit enemies in pressured battles, and the dodge mechanic is more of a death sentence than a helpful move. I thought Knack was going to make me feel like a kid again. The beautiful design and great artwork reminded me of things like Ape Escape and Jack and Daxter. Unfortunately, all I ended up with was a game that made me feel like I wasted money. Expand
  32. Nov 25, 2013
    Knack is a disappointment. Lacks the charm and polish that make other games in the genre memorable. There are those that will enjoy the repetitive shallow gameplay but if you want a game with depth and a good story to boot, look elsewhere.
  33. Nov 25, 2013
    Don't understand how or why this game got bashed so hard. It's not bad it's just not great. It's a decent launch title for what it's worth and a lot more fun then Killzone Shadow Fall. Graphics and sprites are nice and the game itself kept me interesting the whole way through. That being said it may not be worth the price tag it offers very little in terms of replay value but it would have been a solid pick up via the closest bargain bin. Expand
  34. Nov 16, 2013
    Awesome game, plenty of fun, good clean graphics. If you liked ratchet & clank then you'll love knack. Its not the most action packed game of the year but it fun and the multiplayer mode is great.
  35. Nov 15, 2013
    Critics are wrong! Knack is visually beautiful, has an interesting story, and is one of the most difficult platformers I've played and I played Mario back on NES when it first came out. Beautiful, difficult, and intriguing! If you are interested in this game do not listen to critics because I am suspecting they were paid off. Knack may not offer anything new, but it brings a feeling of nostalgia and sandwiches it with a lovely story and amazing graphics. I would not have changed my order if I had the chance. Expand
  36. Jan 13, 2014
    I find it funny how even the stupidest Sony drones can find this piece of **** fun to play it's repetitive and boring if you want a good PS4 game wait until infamous or uncharted or anything but this abomination.
  37. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is getting unfairly panned by lazy, biased reviewers. It deserves recognition for being good, because it is a quality production with very tight gameplay.
  38. Dec 28, 2013
    Sony...do you think this is the spiritual successor of Crash Bandicoot?
    this game is bored,stupid, its not crash bandicoot,jax and dexter,little big planet
    its just another stupid playstation game. the gameplay its not impressive
    its weak and broken. Im sorry Playstation Fanboys but i hate this game
  39. Nov 16, 2013
    For a launch game and for a every day game Knack is not that bad. It may not of hit a lot of people radars if it was not a launch game for the ps4, but as a launch game for the ps4 this game was the first announced and for some it had weight on it's shoulders just it to be a good game or not. So I think this review should be as truthful as possible. First off the story is nothing amazing and really there is nothing amazing in this amazing in this game. You who the villain is in the first twenty seconds of the game. Playing it on normal bad guy die in one or two hits. But challenge is getting close to them. Then when knack does take dames he takes a lot of damage but when he heal heals for how ever much they give you. What is an odd answer I know but sometimes it doesn't look like a lot is there and he will be fully healed then when he's nearly dead and he finds health he could get next to nothing. One cool thing is you can hear the peaces of knack come together through speaker on the new ps4 controller. The fighting system is just like god of war but he had three specials. Nothing else though. Things like ice knack and wood knack are only on those level so don't be upset to not see them to often. The graphics are easy and simple They look great for what they did and for a ps4 game. I hope to see better graphics on the ps4 int he future. This game may seem childish or stupid or what ever but in the end it is just a really fun game with lots of collectables and easy combat and a well told story that you just don't mind play one afternoon. Or through out the week. It's better than a 5/10 or a 4/10 it is fun you get into the game. Expand
  40. Nov 16, 2013
    I honestly do not understand why this game was bashed so hard by critics, but I have a theory it may have been due to the large amount of hype this game generated prior to launch, similar to diablo 3. While I certainly see the shortcomings of this game that the reviewers mentioned (ease of killing mobs, only one combo) they in no way ruin the game to the point of giving it 1.5/5 stars (joystiq). This game has beautiful graphics delivered by the PS4 combined with a fantastic art direction similar to a Pixar movie. The different chapters all have unique environments and always introduce new enemies with new mechanics. The story is interesting and the voice acting is top notch in my opinion. The campaign is quite long as well, and also offers a co-op mode which is implemented very well. The main gripe with this game is that I just wish it did more with the concept of turning into different materials, but this is not to say the game is lacking in this department, only because the mechanics that ARE in the game were very enjoyable. All in all this is a great game and especially considering it a launch title is very much worth the money. I hope to see a sequel with more content and new ideas to work with the current ones. I almost did not pick this game up due to all the negative reviews but am very glad I did, and it makes me wonder what other games I may have missed out on in the past because I looked over them due to the critic reviews I read online... Expand
  41. Nov 18, 2013
    Note: I am giving this game a score of 10 in order to offset the downright unnecessary 0's and low scores since the game is NOT bad at all.

Many people tend to look at these so called "professional" reviewers as the be all, end all when it comes to a game's worth. And I feel that is a bad and downright disgusting attitude to take when it comes to buying games. "I won't buy this game
    because this guy in X website gave it a 2/10!" This isn't even mentioning the fact that a lot of these "reviewers" tend to insert their own biases, whether personal or for the money that companies give them.

This game is pretty good. My score would be an 8 TBH. Gameplay is damn near solid and responsive. In no way is this a "one button smasher" as many of these moronic reviewers would want you to believe. The game also has a distinct children/Pixar feel and it's not hard to see why. Not that it's a bad thing.

Give the game a chance once the holiday deals like Black Friday offer the game at a lower price. It's pretty fun.
  42. Mar 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So christmas came and gave me a PS4 and showed me Knack. I start by saying if you do get a PS4, just get it with Killzone Shadow Fall. You will probably have more fun with that than you will with this. So to start off; Knack is a action adventure kids game. Knack the character is an 'Orb' that is made of relics. He collects relics to get bigger and increase his health. The beauty of this is to appeal to kids by being a huge destructive machine. But being this comicly large takes away the challage its trying to offer. Normally I would like something like this because sometimes I like things to be easy. Aside that it does try and introduce the adventure part of the game by being open minded about what the character can do. However Knack takes it the wrong way. For example most of the game will revolve around fighting goblins. The goblins and other enemies get bigger as you progress through the game. But Knack gets bigger too so the gameplay never really changes, it only looks like it does. To make things worse the game offers a very strict route that you must take. The gameplay is just so boring, you feel after a while as though each level has been copied and pasted. But its not all bad. For example Knack offers a range of combat techniques. This can be both fun and intresting. But enemies have this advantage of hitting you repetitivly. This causes you die quite frequently. The characters are quite bland too. The scientist has lost his wife in a exploring expedition, which gets very anti-climactily resolved by her mysteriously coming back. We are supposed to care about her but we don't know anything so we can't really care. In short Knack is a predictable adventure game for next gen. Take my advice and just don't waste your time with this. Expand
  43. Mar 18, 2014
    Knack is one of the worst games I've ever played. At least Killzone was fun for the first 2 to 3 hours. Knack on the other hand was a blah-fest from the first 5 minutes. I really hope the next game by this development team is better than Knack, because it was pretty awful.
  44. Mar 20, 2014
    This game should have been offered free to consumers, since only serves to demonstrate some elements that the device is capable of doing, nothing more.
  45. Nov 22, 2013
    I agree with a lot of the positive reviews. This game is not A Last of Us Game of the Year candidate, but it is fun, charming, simple (but difficult) game. It does have a few issues in terms of checkpoints and difficult spikes but otherwise I solid revisit to PSOne style gameplay in HD.
  46. Nov 18, 2013
    I do not know how people still do not realize that this game is to be played with an open mind, to relax and enjoy leave the fps and rpgs and relax, I'm anxious to play with my girlfriend.
    Of course this isn't a 10 or an 9 but one 8 would be perfect and fair!
  47. Nov 15, 2013
    My kids love the game and that's why I bought it. I don't care what the critics think. It's a good game for kids to play instead of adult games. We are all happy with the purchase.
  48. Nov 16, 2013
    Knack is a great game. it is visually stunning. it is an amazing game to play if you have small children. My son and I have enjoyed this game together. he is 4 years old and he loves playing as my co-op player. It is good to see my son enjoying games like I did when I was younger. It brings back memories of me playing Mario with my father and now I get to play with my son. It is nice that Sony thought of the family aspect with the ps4. Not everything has to have blood n gore or be a shooter. Great job Sony Expand
  49. Nov 16, 2013
    I have been having a blast with this game. Played coop with a friend for hours! I don't understand how so many people about for a crash bandicoot game yet, dislike this game. It plays almost exactly like it.
  50. Nov 17, 2013
  51. Nov 17, 2013
    Knack is simply my most played game on my PS4 right now. This game is not supposed to be forcibly played in bulk sessions, but in more bit-sized, easy to chew chunks. If not, this game can become overly frustrating and too challenging. There isn't much to the story, but at any point was I expecting a The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, or Uncharted type narrative? No. I wanted a game, a game to take me back to the times of Crash Bandicoot and this does exactly that. If you enjoy games then this is definitely worth checking out. This game has proven to me just how wrong reviewers can truly be. Thank you for reading! Expand
  52. Nov 18, 2013
    This is a great platformer and i have been enjoying it thoroughly! Bigger reviewing companies cant really be trusted anymore or at least everyone but Gameinformer so far. I thought it looked cool from when i first saw it but i wasn't sold yet, then i saw some more gameplay and got excited for it. Then i heard from the bigger companies that it was worth a 5 and got worried but picked it up anyways. I am extremely happy i did because this game fulfilled my platformer crave! This is coming from a person who has been a big fan of platformers forever and if you are too, i would highly suggest picking it up despite what these Critics have to say. I would say that the game has some classic Crash Bandicoot elements to it along with a Ratchet and Clank type of art style and a lot of small features from great games like Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, etc. If you are a fan of any of those games, you will definitely enjoy Knack. Its unfortunate that these Big Critics are giving a bad name to good platformers because i really would like to see the return of quality platformers like this and i would hate to hear that this did not get a sequel because of the critics reviews. I especially enjoy the amount of collectibles spread throughout the game. The story was not as childish as i was expecting and i thought that it was decent at making it a title for anyone to play. The graphics were very pretty and definitely next gen looking despite what the critics think and reminded me of the Ratchet and Clank art style and some Precursor Legacy styled jungles.The gameplay was very fun and very challenging, and all great platformers have to be challenging (Jak II) My overall thoughts on the game were that it was an amazing fun packed adventure that will last you a while and i hope to see more even though i have yet to 100% it. If you like platformers this is definitely a title you wont want to miss out on! Expand
  53. Nov 19, 2013
    Its amazing how jaded and FPS obsessed that modern gaming culture has become. Don't listen to the equally dysfuctional gaming press that feel that the only enjoyment in games is a cross-hair, followed by exploding heads and bodies in their sad fantasies as war heroes. Did the gaming press actually put the game into the hands of a child, perhaps those impressions would have eased their toxic indulged arrogance as so called gaming pros. It disgusts me how with violent invasive parodies on our culture like GTA5 is so loved, and yet gaming innocence has died. If given patience and gaming skill, Knack is a wonderfull throwback to when games could be simple in gaming mechanics and yet provide fun enjoyment to families and children.What Crash and Spiro had better stories and more involved combat Dont listen to them Mark, I have your back with Knack. Expand
  54. Nov 19, 2013
    Oh my God! This is the best game ever created! 10 out of 10! Marc Cerny Jesus! Crash Bandicoot has been reborn !!!
    Don't trust stupid no life billyblyads from GameMag this game is the real deal!
  55. Nov 19, 2013
    Ótimo jogo, nada a reclamar. As plataformas são bem intuitivas e dinâmica, inimigos divertidos e enredo interessante. Sem falar que a dificuldade realmente atraente nesse jogo.
  56. Nov 22, 2013
    Something in the back of my head was telling me that Knack wasn't the game it was hyped up to be. I kind of fell for the hype expecting a much more expanded game play adventure, but it's pretty much a straightforward, linear action game. The promotion of the game revolved around how big Knack can grow, and it is true that he can grow enormously huge. However, the problem with that is the game decides when this happens and can take your size away from you almost as fast as achieving it. There was one part where Knack gave away all his relics, shrinking down to minimal size, to power a fan. A fan? Really?

My major complaint with the game is that Knack relies too much on a trial-and-error gameplay. What do I mean by trial-and-error, I mean if you play on Normal or Hard difficulty, the majority of the time you will die in 1 or 2 hits. After each time, you will restart at the checkpoint. This doesn't seem too bad, but the sunstones you used to not revert back when you start again at the checkpoint. This becomes annoying because the sunstone gauge fills up very slowly. You only have three gauges and one special move uses one of those. Sometimes you might find yourself stuck in a situation that will require about 4-10 replays because you die very easily. This wouldn't be much of a problem if the enemies throw cheap shots at you.

Last complaint, the storyline is close to non-existent. Knack is created, or discovered, to fight off Goblins, and an evil corporate millionaire wants Knack for himself. That is pretty much the storyline. You would expect a character like Knack to have some personality like Sly Cooper, Ratchet or Jak, but he is about as interesting as a basketball player pursuing an acting career. All of the other characters are stereotypical and stock. As you watch the cut-scenes, you may have trouble relating to any of the characters because each one is bland.

The game isn't terrible, it is okay in my opinion. Is it worth $60? No, definitely not. Is it worth $30? That is probably a more reasonable price, so I would wait until it drops in price. The graphics are incredibly good and the game play can be draw you in. You may even find yourself seeking a higher difficulty, such as myself, regardless of the cheap shots.
  57. Nov 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First thing's first: disregard ALL the people comparing this game to the likes of Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and the like. This is NOT like those in ANY way, besides the cartoony visuals, which, admittedly, look good. I'll start by saying this: this game is best for kids and video game newcomers. Whereas the aforementioned games allowed for several fun styles of gameplay, Knack relies on but one, which it hammers into the ground. Not only is it painfully linear, but the combat is rediculously repetitive, never deviating from the same triple strike combo, Sonic the Hedgehog-like homing attack knock back move, and iffy dodge maneuver, and if you're only interested in looking at pretty scenery while smashing stuff, I've not said anything to turn you off. The issue is that this overly simplistic style of gameplay doesn't jibe with the game's intentions concerning the story. Put simply, the story tries. If that sounds too broad and unspecific, I'll elaborate. What does Knack try to do or be? The answer is, a lot. One minute, the plot is centered around the ongoing feud between the humans and goblins, with titular character Knack flung in the middle as a weapon of the former against the latter. Deeper investigation shows the power struggle dates back to a war that socially and technologically sent the goblins back to the proverbial stone age. Done right, this story could have delved deeper into these developments to tell a compelling tale that blurred the lines between right and wrong. But as soon as that begins to flesh out, the plot switches up, focusing instead on the wealthy and politically powerful main antagonist bent on using Knack as a key to a mysterious door, then using the main characters to unknowingly lead him to it when that proves as fruitless, for the purpose of revolutionizing the world with the technology he will find behind said door. Until about 75% into the story, the protagonists and the antagonists are generally hostile and work against each other for no apparent reason, because again, the story isn't written very well. Through all this, there are mini conflicts, such as Knack being little more than a tool, making few decisions on his own (yet trying to have some personality as a character), the Doctor(who apparently has no name)'s assistant struggling to be listened to, and the Doctor's thought a to a be a late beloved working for the enemy. None of the plot elements, large or small, are ever explored well, and very few go well with a gameplay style that is purely centered around running forward, gradually getting bigger, and smashing things. On top of that, the dialogue is quite bland. In short, this game tries to be simple and deep at the same time, overdoing one, and failing miserably at the other. Still, there's nothing mechanically wrong with the game, and Knack's gradual increase in size from a runt to a titan is satisfying. So if you can look past the tons of wasted potential this game had, by all means, pick it up. Expand
  58. Dec 1, 2013
    This game have the power to take me to my childhood, buy this game play this game and love it, Playstatin 4 born whit the next Crash and is name is Knack
  59. Dec 2, 2013
    I only gave it a 10 to counteract the unreasonably low scores. This is a great game and deserves at least a 7 rating. It's not very diverse but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The simplicity of the game makes it an easy one to just pick up and go. I can see myself re-visiting the game over and over again for a bit of fun. Not for the hardcore gamer but great for the causal gamer like myself.
  60. Dec 21, 2013
    Lo mejor de este juego es que el primer recuerdo que vino a mi mente mientras jugaba fue Crash Bandicoot.

+ Buenas Graficas

+ Buena Jugabilidad

+ Buena IA

+ Cooperativo Divertido

- Algo repetitivo
  61. Jan 7, 2014
    An old school game, like the first Crash, Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter... and I love that. No "Guns" or "weapons" needed, it's fun like old time games.
  62. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is a ton of fun. Its definitely not a top tier game, but it doesnt pretend to be. If you like Jak, Crash, etc you'll love this game once you give it a chance.
  63. Jan 28, 2014
    Reviewers seemed to have a bizarre and completely unrealistic expectation of this game. It's just a simple but fun little adventure game. It's not very ambitious, but it's decent and enjoyable. Just make sure if you're a gamer that you play on Hard mode. Only being able to take 2 or 3 hits gives the game the hectic and fast deaths and playability of the classic Crash Bandicoot series. It's nothing special, but it's nothing like the terrible game reviewers are making it out to be. I honestly hope there'll be a sequel even. Expand
  64. Jan 1, 2014
    The fighting in this is really solid and satisfying. The controls are intuitive, and the learning curve is perfect. A complaint i have is that you find yourself wanting a little bit more sometimes. For example, if you get introduced to a challenging set of enemies you will get the same enemies for the next thirty minutes of gameplay but just as i feel like quitting, a new plot development, or new set of even more challenging enemies. Expand
  65. Nov 16, 2013
    knack has a colourful pallet and solid graphics and aim mainly at women and children gamers as appose to the hard core audience,. So in essence it happily fills a genre in the launch line up
  66. Dec 10, 2013
    Knack really surprised me this is a really fun and addictive game. The moment I started playing knack I was completely hooked this is really an incredible game. Why knack got so many mixed reviews is beyond me. Knack is a fun and adorable gaming experience
  67. Nov 15, 2013
    If almost didn't get Knack because of the critic reviews, but once again I'm glad I ignore their opinions. Knack has its faults, but as a 3D platformer that pays homage to old school 3D titles, I have to admit, this is a game that's perfect for my son and I.
  68. Jan 2, 2014
    If you are looking for a challenging platform game and don't have children in your house, this review is not for you.

Story: Not ground breaking story telling, but with a good 4 hours in, I'm enjoying it
    Graphics: Not sure why people are really complaining here. While it's not likely pushing the PS4 to the limit, the scenes look nice and with the addition of all of Knack's components,
    fairly complex.
    Game play: Yes, this is not very challenging and does lose a point or two here. On medium it's rare that I have to redo a fight more then a couple of time.
    Overall: I think people forget that a game is supposed to be fun. This game has a fun story that is family appropriate. So far, no cursing and while there is violence, there's no blood. My guess is that the creators of this game wanted a game that was accessible to kids and adults and in the process show off some of the technical capabilities of the PS4. If this was the case, I think they hit the mark and I look forward to a bigger and better sequel
  69. Apr 14, 2014
    Knack tries to bring the action-platformer back to PlayStation consoles. Knack is the story of a special relic that can control other relics around it to form the being know as Knack. Knack's story is simple like a Saturday morning cartoon. The game play is more action game than platformer, throwing a lot of enemies at you. The game is pretty difficult for a "kid's game" as Knack's health quickly goes down against a worthy opponent if you are not careful. As Knack grows in size, so does the game's fun, fighting bigger enemies and not having to worry about your health. There are a few puzzles but they are simple and do not take much effort to solve. Knack looks like a really sharp Saturday morning cartoon, colorful and full of charm. Knack might not bring the genre that inspired it back on new consoles, but it is still a fun game for all audiences. Expand
  70. Nov 21, 2013
    A game that deserves merit on the launch line-up for the PS4.
    There is definitely fun to be had, and though at times the difficulty can make the game feel unrewarding, it is just a treat to have a game that is as accessible and challenging again.
    Less of an action platformer, though there were some tough sections which required much trial and error to pass, the game takes on more of a
    beat-em-up style as you plod through the increasingly hard enemy types.

In top form of the Dreamworks or Pixar B-Movie, the writing is not the reason to approach the game, however the often reoccurring "one-liners" and overall lighthearted humour kept me chuckling throughout. The repetitive, yet addictive nature of the gameplay is the reason to keep playing until the end, and then several times through again if you want to go for the pesky Platinum!

The visual style is definitely not something that can boast next-gen tech, but it is still pretty in a childishly, whimsy kind of way.

Overall a solid launch title. People who think that this is an awful launch line-up have obviously not been around long enough to remember the likes of the PS2 and PS3 launch well enough to know that those were both god-awful.

Worth playing.

Jack Valentine
  71. Apr 5, 2014
    Game of the year.............................................................................................................................................................
  72. Nov 17, 2013
    My word this game is being underscored. Regardless this game has been quite quite fun! Combat is smooth and the plot is the arcade style "here's a job, people are in danger, go" style, but it's really the kind of game where you're just supposed to be able to pick it up and play, and it does that. There are three special moves, a combo attack, and double jump, all you need. I do sometimes get the impression some of the enemies are, too similar, but the game does stay challenging. By the end of most levels you end up being massive and way OP, but the larger you get, the tougher the enemies you'll fight get, so it's really just satisfying to be so huge, and the game doesn't end there. You'll likely be small again soon because you had to give up you're size so you could travel, but it's never sad, just time to start again and fight again! Defiantly give this game a chance. It's not supposed to be challenging, just fun. Relax, kick back, and glory at you're destructive potential. Expand
  73. Jan 25, 2014
    this game has nice graphics and a decent story. the gameplay is also pretty good but can get pretty monotonous at times. the best parts of the game are when you become giant knack and can just rampage, however when you go back to regular knack it's just not as fun. it's a fun game, but could have been way better than it was.
  74. Nov 17, 2013
    Knack at first glance can be deceiving. Many reviewers are quick to judge this interesting little title, that is aimed at simplicity and family fun, rather than a complicated set of menu options and side quests. The graphics are great and this is the only game set at launch (for either system) that seems to be aimed at the new gamer or family experience. While this may not be innovative to platform games, Knack still delivers and has beautiful environment. Offering multiplayer and old fashioned fun, i recommend this for families and gamers looking for that "Mario" style game. Expand
  75. Nov 18, 2013
    This game is great, it delivers on what it intends to bring to us. Find myself wanting to play it constantly! Simple control scheme is easy to pick up, but not easy to master. You will die, but they put in plenty of checkpoints so you don't lose too much progress. Must have for platforming fans, or fans of old school gaming. Not disappointed in my purchase
  76. Dec 3, 2013
    Knack is a charming game that takes you back to a simpler time in gameing. In a time period when photo-realistic styled games with more accessories than neccissary, muddy stories and overproduction rule the world; Knack becomes a breath of fresh air with its simple structure. Knack is a game for those who prefer quality more than quantity. Its nostalgic and fun. Knack shows us that their is more to the PS4 than just shooters. This is the greatest that no one likes. Expand
  77. Apr 5, 2014
    Knack simply isn't as bad as many "professional" reviewers make it out to be. It's not great by any means but it's not that great either. I'll start off with what it did well. It looks really nice with a wonderful art style and aesthetic. Switching from cut scene to gameplay is really smooth. I really liked Knack as a character he was pretty good unlike pretty much everyone else. It didn't do anything terrible just not good enough. I'd say it's too simple for it's own good honestly. You don't have very many options when approaching situations since you only have 1 combo. I feel like if there was just more to it it would be fantastic and the game screams that there should be more but there just isn't. The story isn't all that great and the dialog is pretty crap honestly. I'd really like to see sequel honestly. There needs to be a lot of improvements though especially in the combat. They need to improve on what they have and add more to it and then i think it could be absolutely wonderful. Expand
  78. Nov 15, 2013
    I have been playing this game for the past 2 hours and I am finding it to be thoroughly enjoyable. Yes there are simple button mechanics but its fun, does have some challenge to it and it looks beautiful. While I agree it might not be a system seller and it a 2nd teir game I think when I have forgotten years from now what killzone was like I will remember this since its different and is a nice mix up for a break today from Battlefield/Killzone/COD Expand
  79. Nov 16, 2013
    This is a really fun game if you grew up in the PS2/N64/PS1 Era and really love 3D platformers. Don't just go by the critic reviews it is very under rated! It is really fun and reminds me a lot of crash. If you can and you love 3D platformers of years past this will be a great game for you! My score would be about a 8.5-8.7 so i rounded up to a 9. Hope for another knack or something like it!
  80. Nov 19, 2013
    Knack is simple but fun and challenging. I understand why critics are giving it low scores because yes, compared to Spyro or Mario it is not an amazing platformer and the developers definitely missed a lot of opportunities with the concept of growing or shrinking Knack. I almost didn't buy it after seeing the critic reviews but I am glad I did. Not worth $60 but definitely buy it once you can get it used for $40 and you will not regret it. Expand
  81. Nov 20, 2013
    This is a game of unfulfilled potential. Almost every facet of the game is near the level of quality of modern gaming but lack the certain polish of the next generation. It seems that every good aspect of Knack is balanced with a flaw. Visually, the game can be quite impressive: the myriad of little pieces that come together to form Knack, the cartoony character design of the main characters, the quite paced action of fighting and platforming; however, the game also lacks severely in several visual aspects: the terrible rending and detail of objects (made especially obvious when shown in cutscenes); the plain, uninspired, cookie-cutter enemies; the moments of lag and random cutscenes to show Knack jump down from a lenge which bring the game to halts. The story, too, is a bit of a mess. Cerny described the game of being of Pixar/Disney quality, but the story is cliche and quite boring in fact. Many possible conflicts are resolved in seconds; for example, Knack gets blown up and destroyed by several of the antagonists at many points in the game, causing tension and questions of what is to happen next, just to have him reform seconds later. The contrasting aspects of Knack become apparent also during gameplay. Knack's moves are very simple and intuitive his true power comes from his growth and size; however, the game makes you feel so powerful and so weak simultaneously by allowing you to grow to gargantuan sizes but having enemies still do a ton of damage per landed hit. Dodging is really your only defense which, lucky, is made quick and easily by the use of the right analog stick; there is more variety in the game place by the unlocking of equipment parts throughout the game, but unfortunately they will come to almost no use unless you place through a second time because most of the special equipment parts are only finish by the final few chapters in the game. Along with pieces of relics, Knack can grow larger with pieces of wood, ice, etc. These pieces add a bit of defense for Knack; however, they are underused and their uses for solving puzzles are obvious. Knack overall is a game lacking polish, and it is not Cerny Games they have made several great titles. It is obvious that the game was under extreme time constraints. The story is mediocre, the graphics are bad for last gen, and the combat is lacking. But it is the most unique retail game launching for the PS4; if you like difficulty and action platformers, pick this one up. If you can look over all of the flaws of Knack, it could be a good thing to waste you time on. Just skip the cut scenes. Expand
  82. Nov 21, 2013
    This is fricking GOOD game MUST HAVE for truly Playstation fans anyone who say this game s*ck maybe you need to check your eyes this game like Playstation 1 LEGEND Crash Bandicoot!
  83. Nov 21, 2013
    Knack is your typical launch game with a twist. The goal here was to have a game which can show off the technical prowess of the PS4 but also give a game that is easily played by the entire family. In most ways they have succeeded as Knack is a blast to play solo and co-op. Most people complain the game is a bore, which may be the case if played on the lower difficulties. If you are an experienced gamer, the only difficulty choice should be Hard. This game is then challenging and the enemy variety keeps you on your toes throughout the 10 hour campaign mode.

Playing co-op brings a lot of fun to the living room and this is made even more enjoyable if you have a PS Vita in the home as well. Using the Vita you can have off screen co-op play, allowing each user to have their own personal screen. This has been a great way for my son and I to play this game together.

Another great feature which is not getting enough talk is the ability to search for treasures in the game which can be made into items to help Knack along in his journey. While this would be normal on any other system, the PS4 allows a level of social integration in that you will see items picked up by friends playing the game as well. You can then chose to take the item you found, or the item your friend found.

All in all Knack is a wonderful game that plays on that retro platforming charm, allows for a great co-op experience, and introduces a few new tricks to a tired and true genre. This game is well worth picking up for your PS4 regardless of what the professional reviewers say.
  84. Nov 22, 2013
    Knack is a action platformer in the same vain as Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Crash Bandicoot, and Sly Cooper. It is single player, or you can play co op locally with someone else as well!

Gameplay:
    While the combat is not quite as complex as those listed (there is a single punch button, and a super move button with an option for 3 special attacks), that does not mean that this
    game is simple. The best way to describe the experience of Knack is that it is easy to learn, difficult to master. Using the right joystick, the player is able to quickly dodge, in whatever direction they tilt the stick.

Story:
    The story is a nice and simple tale of needing to stop the bad guy, and save the world. It is nothing to write home about, and this is where knack is the weakest. The story could stand to be a bit more complex, and the characters could be developed more, but it still is far from being horrid and intolerable.

Difficulty:
    Don't let the appearance of this game fool you. This game is challenging! The challenge comes from the make up of the groups of enemies it pits you up against. You have to really have to pay attention and
    dodge accordingly. You will die a lot if you rely on an all out offensive strategy. There are 4 different difficulty levels, with the last one locked until you beat the game on hard.

Extras:
    There are tons of hidden items to collect. If you are able to find all the parts of various gadgets, you will build items that will give Knack abilities, like being able to detect health objects, or increase your strength the longer you go without taking damage. There are also special crystal items you can find, that once you collect enough, you unlock special versions of Knack that will give you special attributes like boosted strength or defense, in future playthroughs.

Final Thoughts:
    This is by far my favorite of the launch games I got with my ps4. It is a fun game that pulls a lot from past action platformers. While there are certainly things that I would like to see improved or tweaked, it was an incredibly fun adventure to go on with my new system. I hope that this is the start of another wonderful and enjoyable franchise for Sony and the Playstation 4.
  85. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is beautiful, simple but gorgeous.
    I really enjoyed playing with this pack of particle that is knack.
    Even if it can be hard from times to times, it's a well rewarded challenge.
  86. Dec 3, 2013
    In spite of mixed reviews, I can recommend this game as a platformer with some great ideas but without a steep learning curve. The game is manageable on Normal difficulty but requires an occasional change in strategy to match different enemies. Just the right level of difficulty versus flow for anyone but the most skillful platform gamers. Knack is a likable character and the particle effects around his body are amazing, the only proof of "next generation" in here with cut scenes being mostly "last generation" stuff. As a family game it is great, my kids enjoy playing as a side-kick or just watching and cheering. A lot of fun for a "casual platform gamer". Next I will use my unlocked skills and attempt a hard playthrough. Expand
  87. Dec 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beautiful and intelligent game nah jokes it sucks d*** go yourselvesij15gergo[ieqr[oiger[highdghdhhhaethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethetheth Expand
  88. Dec 2, 2013
    Didn't know what to think when I bought it, and it surprised me. Very fun game with awesome graphics and a nice game play really entertaining. I would definitely recommend this game.
  89. Dec 8, 2013
    This game is incredible and fun. I give game play a 10, it's easy and fun. Simple for kids to play but challenge enough for adults. Graphics is also a 10. Story is great and will keep you there. The only down fall I give this game is that at times it get repetitive. But this game is worth every penny and it's fu
  90. Dec 9, 2013
    A platformer that tries to be different by not being a button-masher. Trying to button-mash in this game results in a quick defeat. The game requires you to first dodge and then attack. It's the gamer's own impatience that ruins the gameplay.
    Visually the game reminds me of the Astroboy CGI.
  91. Dec 10, 2013
    I'm another one of those who was glad he ignored the critic reviews and bought the game anyway. I'll agree with the comments that the size of knack is very controlled by where you are in the game, but that's sort of for obvious reasons due to the fact that if you could be huge all the time it would unbalance the game. That said, the graphics are good, with all the parts moving, the shadows that follow your relics, the variety in types of components you can be made up of etc. The controls are basic, but that doesn't mean the game is. There's a pretty large change in difficulty between levels which is good as it means my young son can play on easy and I can play on normal and hard and we both have a blast. I didn't count hours it took to complete, but the length felt good too. Expand
  92. Dec 19, 2013
    Here we sit on the edge of our seats in 2013, the PS4 finally in some of our hands.
    And one of the greatest games of the time is being attacked for not being a copy paste cut-out of another shooter.

This game although with few exceptions was amazing. It is on par with Mario and Crash Bandicoot(ps1 days). It is well worth the money, and although recommended you should play it on hard
    you will not be disappointed if you actually like games and not mindless violence.

All I ask is that Sony realize they have something special here no matter the critics, and not to let go of this one has they did with Crash and Spyro.

My true rating of this game comes in at a speedy 9.8/10
  93. Dec 26, 2013
    This is an amazing game.
    Knack is a very well designed, easy to learn combat based platformer, it has great graphics and is fluent throughout. Knack is best when played on the hard difficulty because if you play on easy, knack becomes too easy and becomes boring very quickly; knack is challenging and great fun.

I would recommend knack to anybody that likes platformers like Crash
    Bandicoot and anyone who wants a fun experience on their PS4. Expand
  94. Dec 27, 2013
    Now anyone who has looked at any review for this game already knows its hard and I'm here to say that is true and that it is a good thing. Whenever I died I never felt like the game cheated me, I understood that it was me who made a mistake and I learned from them. Many games now have a chooseable difficulty system like Knack but few execute it as well as Knack: higher difficulties add harder platforming, enemies learn new moves, and more enemy combinations are used to offer more intriguing fights. The controls are simple but that adds to the challenge of the game. Because you only have a limited set of moves you have to actually strategize when you go into a fight because bum rushing in will quickly have you killed. The story is simple but that is understandable since this game is geared to be kid friendly so the developers couldn't throw in too many deep, serious underlying messages or make the characters too complex. The characters although simple have a fair amount of charm, you won't be falling head over heels for them but you won't hate them. The characters all look good and so does the environment, but the levels seem a little static in some areas otherwise the graphics are all charming and good. Adding to the replayability of the game are collectibles you can find in hidden areas (some of these areas are very, very obvious while others will take a trained eye to see). These collectibles are either parts for devices that will help you on the harder difficulties or crystal relics that will unlock alternate Knacks for new game +(s). You won't unlock many (if any) of these on your first playthrough and looking for the rarer items can be a pain, however you can also choose any collectible found by people on your friends list making it simpler to find what you want. Overall Knack is a good throwback to the days of "Nintendo hard" games with simple yet fun gameplay that will challenge your skills and has plenty of replayability. If you don't like platformer beat 'em ups then you won't like Knack but if you do it is a must buy. Expand
  95. Dec 29, 2013
    This is my first review on Metacritic mainly because I disagree with the 'expert' reviews. Knack is a classic platformer in the vain of Jak and Daxter, Rachet and Clank etc, but on a much larger and prettier scale. The story is good and I feel like I want to complete it. You can keep your endless (boring) online fighters, something with a story and reason to get to the end always wins out. The graphics are supposed to be 'cartoonish' but they are amazing, Shrek etc would be embarrassed to be sat next next to clank!
    This is not an easy game to get through, you will die hundreds of times, but the start points are not long and therefore you never feel really frustrated.
    Played today with my 16 year old daughter as robo-Knack on the PS Vita as Remote play. It made the game easier for her and good for both of us.
    Another couple of late nights over this Christmas and New Year look to be on the books for me.
  96. Jan 4, 2014
    Never has a game made me rage with so much... disappointment!? I can persevere through most situations in any game, and will be the first to tell someone else to take a breath if their game is getting to them. But this game. Wow. Unbalanced like nothing I've ever played before. I'm going through on normal, and I just want to restart on easy! If I'm lucky, Knack survives three hints from enemies, but with health regeneration being basically non-existent (once in a while, it tops you up, but most of the time collecting health gives say 5% health back, if you're lucky!). Knack's ability to grow bigger and stronger is swiftly negated by the enemies getting bigger and stronger. Which, sure, every game the enemies get harder, but throughout the entirety of this game so far, I have yet to survive more than 3-4 hits in succession, before scattering into a million pieces of disc-snapping frustration. To say this game is going to be the next-gen Crash-bandicoot is a joke. I don't expect a game to be easy, but if you read reviews and comments about the game, I think everyone agrees that never in the first hour of playing a game would dying near 50 times be conceivable.

Knack's dodge, and general clumsy controls. If you're lucky, you'll have time to allow him to finish the move he's currently performing. But god forbid you have to dodge a missile (or two, which is basically insta-death), you have to wait for him to finish his current move before it even processes you are trying to dodge. And good luck dodging anything the bigger you get.

The game is artistically childlike and whimsical, bringing a certain charm and innocence to appeal to a younger audience. I'll give it that much, I liked that. However, the story is equally as childlike, but not in a good way, and I must say it can be extremely boring. Perhaps they've gone too far in trying to be accessible to children. Who knows This part of the game I enjoyed, but felt like it lacked a depth and richness to the characters and plot.

With fast paced enemies, slow reactions, beautiful graphics (for what it is) and a story that wafts along like a bad smell, this game has left me feeling unsatisfied with what was hyped to be more than what was delivered. Truth be told, I don't know how to feel about this game... it seems unfair to rate it so low, but it is what it is, and I won't be recommending this to my fellow gamers.
  97. Mar 13, 2014
    Knack came bundled with my PS4, and it took about 2 months before I finally got bored enough with my other games to dust this one off and finally give it a go. In short, this game is at the very least playable. Not terrible, but not in the Pantheon of all time greats either. Just a middle of the road, quite conservative game. It's simplistic in its concept; you begin each stage as Knack in his base form (small and quite fragile) and as you progress you assimilate artifacts that allow Knack to grow and become more powerful. You can also harness the power of "Sun Stones" collected throughout the game to unleash special attacks every so often. Naturally, this makes stages easier as you go along instead of becoming progressively more difficult. Traditionally games go from Easy >> Hard, but in Knack you end each stage as a towering behemoth capable of crushing any enemy with absurd ease. Ironic, because in the earlier portions of each level Knack is small and easily defeated. My biggest gripe is that it's impossible to tell how powerful an enemy is until it's too late. You can get body slammed by a giant ogre and take minimal damage, but get speared by a flaming arrow and be instantly destroyed. Controls are also inconsistent, with attacks constantly missing due to Knack having the punching range of a T-Rex.

Knack does do some things right, though. Whenever you gather artifacts or extra powers, the audio sound effect transmits through your Dualshock 4 controller which is pretty cool. There are also hidden relics scattered throughout Knack's realm that when gathered make the game more enjoyable. Aesthetically the graphics are sharp, albeit not what you would expect from a PS4 title. Knack could definitely pass as a PS2 game, with games like Jak and Ratchet producing a similar look over 10 years ago.

Finally, the story is generic and quite unengaging. I had a difficult time connecting with any of the characters, which in turn diminished my ability to fully enjoy the game (being that gameplay and story are 2 core elements to any successful video game). Knack would have been better off as a mute; it seemed awkward every time he opened his mouth and engaged the antagonists in conversation with his deep, booming voice.

So yeah, Knack definitely has it's ups and downs, but is absolutely a respectable title. Not worth $60 by any means, but for those seeking more of a classic game with that nostalgic feel to it, Knack might supply you with that for 10 or so hours. I would consider investing in a potential sequel, provided that it shows more innovation and plot consideration. Overall, Knack gets a 6/10 here.
  98. Jan 14, 2014
    Having a blast with Knack. It is much like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. 10 for the fun factor. It's actually refreshing with a fun and new IP instead of blood, zombies or old franchises.

Fantastic in Co-op. Great length. Replayable....

Looking forward to Knack 2.
  99. Feb 2, 2014
    I'm a sucker for platformers and always have been, and I can safely say that this game is a disgrace to the platformer genre. The game starts off fun in a way reminiscent of the old gems of the PS2 era, but it goes downhill very quickly. I always strive to get 100% but I very nearly gave up because this game was so mind-numbingly boring.

The plot is simple, but ends up being
    anticlimactic with the final boss being a complete twist, but not in a good way. Unfortunately, the story isn't the only boring element to the game. Knack is often compared to games like Mario, Crash Bandicoot or Ratchet and Clank - but this game misses out on two of the key things that make those games so enjoyable: variety and fun. I remember vividly changing into different forms in Mario by using power-ups, or riding vehicles in Crash Bandicoot - but none of that is existent in Knack. It's a simple platformer, with no variety - and gets stale very quickly.

In an attempt to make the game more sociable, you can open secret chests and get collectibles with your friends but the mechanics behind it are flawed. Trying to get Diamond Relics leaves you grinding and becoming a repetitious waste of time. While you may need 15 of one relic to unlock a stronger version of the character, you can theoretically end up with 50 or so, while not having any of the relics you need - its completely luck-based.

Finally, the graphics are great - but lacklustre when compared to some of the late Ps3 games. Worse still, is that when you play as different versions of Knack - you default back to the original during cut-scenes.

Knack had so much potential but ends up leaving you wondering why it was made. Not all children are easily impressed - but the fact you can do more with the box than with the actual game speaks volumes about how bad it is.
  100. Feb 9, 2014
    What can be worse that new Killzone? Only this. One big plus of the game-it's very difficult. Dark souls for children. Green goblins, heart-kind Knack-it's nice but authors doesn't know about sense of humor. That's a pity, friends

1. Feb 13, 2014
    Knack isn't a bad combat platformer, it's just mediocre. It's a kind of God of War for casual players and the fighting works actually quite well. Some boring factory levels should have been cut, though. [Jan 2014]
  2. Jan 26, 2014
    I have absolutely no idea what caused Knack to be the kind of game that is, because it just doesn't make any sense. Whether it's the case of being a a vanity project that went unchecked or just another could-have-been that lost its way while rushing to meet the PS4's launch date, the bottom line is that it's a misguided title too simple for adults and too difficult for children.
  3. Jan 10, 2014
    An awfully boring, repetitive and uninspired game that does absolutely nothing to show PS4’s capabilities but a lot to ruin your day. [01/2014, p.66]