6.9

1. Jun 7, 2014
    Murdered: Soul Suspect

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Story: I am currently half way through the story and will admit it does get you hooked, you start wanting to find out the killers motives and on top of that more about the main characters personal life, before he became a cop and what happened to him along the way. The only thing i can honestly say is wrong with the story is that the revelations about the killer is done by the collection of artefacts, therefore you if decide to just run from one checkpoint to the other without any exploration then you will miss some parts of the story.

Characters: The main character is quite intriguing, he is definitely a tortured soul, raised rough and seemingly a changed man in all aspects, instead of breaking the law he now rules it. This changeover of course has its sceptics and finding out more about what made him change and why keeps you stuck to the character and his development. The other characters you find out bits and pieces of but this in all keeps you keen to find out more.

Graphics: The Graphics to be honest are quite good in some parts and in others you can kinda tell that the creators spent more money on some stuff and sacrificed the others. This doesn't make it unbearable but it doesn't quite show what the PS4's true capability is. The only other thing that truly bugged me even though it is small is that when he talks to other ghosts his mouth stays shut and yet words are coming out. This is one of the smaller quirks they decided to sacrifice i suppose.

Result: The story and character development is this games main point of merit, the choices you make to bring the clues to life and give you the story is very interesting, but the lack of action will have some gamers at a loss.
  2. Jun 30, 2014
    Game was a solid 7.
    Game was a solid 7.
    The story was on par with most horror films, but for a game you need just a little more thrills to feel that the value in the 4 hour campaign is supported the by the demand the publisher & developer wanted at there $60.00 retail price. This is why it's getting mixed and negative reviews, if the game released at a $20.00 digital copy and $30.00 retail, it would have sold faster than Justin Beiber concert tickets would at middle school pep rally. So developers need to re-think there model for digital sales and games that don't offer the bells and whistles most conventional next gen games offer, of even current gen games as well.
  3. Jul 7, 2015
    Murdered : Soul Suspect is based on you being a ghost, a quite unique point of view in videogames (a little less if you think of movies of series), giving you abilities such as eavesdropping, mind influence, going through walls, and a few others, which is very refreshing and without doubt original for gamers.

Unfortunately this very good starting point falls short in terms of execution,

Unfortunately this very good starting point falls short in terms of execution, beside bad graphics (some PS3/360 games look better) and a semi-open world that lacks more side quest (I don't count collectibles as a side quest) the two main issues I have with this game are :
    1) No choices and consequences given to the player, for a 2014 AAA "detective" game it's unacceptable.
    2) It's way too easy, I had the platinum in my first playthrough in less than 10 hours, all the collectibles (collect things is the main part of the game length) are pretty obvious, you have to be dumb to fail the investigations, and the stealth phase will always allow you to hide back if you're detected.

Thankfully the story is good, not great, enough for you wanting to see its conclusion. In conclusion what could have been an hidden gem lacking polish wasted its potential with a very unchallenging and linear experience, still worth a look if you find it cheap and want to try something new..
  4. Jun 23, 2014
    Murdered: Soul Suspect has some very positive things going for it. It has an engaging story and interesting side stories. It is fun to possess people and see what they are thinking which really adds to the atmosphere that the game creates. However this game has some drawbacks I felt that Ronin was not able to impact his environment very much except for when the story specifically guidesMurdered: Soul Suspect has some very positive things going for it. It has an engaging story and interesting side stories. It is fun to possess people and see what they are thinking which really adds to the atmosphere that the game creates. However this game has some drawbacks I felt that Ronin was not able to impact his environment very much except for when the story specifically guides the player to do so. In many ways this game is really an interactive story that involves the player to explore the environment and become absorbed in its plot. The game however is incredibly easy (Quite possibly the easiest game I've ever played) and for some may be boring if they do not care about the story. I would not recommend this game to anyone who getting this expecting a challenging game that requires fast reflexes or even someone that is getting the game thinking it will be a difficult puzzle game. This game is neither of those it is an easy interactive story that is fun and interesting.

Pros: Engaging story, fun side stories.
    Cons: Very easy, lacks interaction with environment, lacks gameplay mechanics, virtually no reason to replay the game.

Overall: I rate it a 6.5 (I pushed it up to a 7 because there is no 6.5 rating
  5. Sep 25, 2014
    Square-Enix style is definitely there, I can see why they picked up Airtight's game. You have to have an open mind to their artistic license because if you overthink the reality of it all, you'll get annoyed.

The puzzles were a little easier than they should have been near the end of the game. The added dimension of fighting the demons wasn't so fun to me. It just seems like a lackluster attempt at putting action into a game not designed to have action. Not to say I wouldn't have enjoyed some action, but that wasn't the way to do it.

I can't say there's much post-gameplay or replay value. It has no New Game Plus. The collecting quests were ok, but all in all I was unimpressed by the side-quests. Everything was easy, and nothing really felt that rewarding when it came to most of the game's peripheral activities.

The voice acting and music were good, the graphics were good, the game took me probably under a dozen hours to beat completely. All in all, I felt a little disappointed, it was much shorter than I expected, the mystery wasn't that hard to figure out, the extras were the same boring extras every RPG has at the absolute minimum, the player has no influence on the ending or the overall outcome of the story. It's a very basic game.

Audio Visual Overall: 8

Game Value: 2.5
    Length: 4
    Freedom: 4
    Extras: 2
    DLC: 0 (Because Airtight Games closed, there more than likely will never be any, so this short little game is probably as big as it's ever going to be.)

Overall: 5.72
    It looks like an unfinished game with a world of potential. Gamers want more control, more hours of story and extra things to do, this game is good for a day off, nothing more. I suggest renting it instead of buying it, but if you are buying it, get the disc, and hold onto it, the company that made it won't be making anymore games, and who knows, it could be worth something in a decade or so, but I wouldn't count on it.

Let me reiterate, this game has one outcome, and everything is restrictive. Your experience in this game will not be like Heavy Rain or Beyond: 2Souls, one ending, an unchangeable mystery plot. It's not the same, if you enjoyed it, good for you, but this game wasn't nearly the quality of Heavy Rain or Beyond: 2Souls.
  6. Jul 24, 2014
    This game has some HUGE potential but i feel the developers (square enix) have not used it at all, the game is buggy, some really bizzare things happen like for example the whole benefit of being a ghost is going through walls etc however i notice normal members of the public doing the same or getting stuck in walls, the voice acting is quite poor, sadly as much as i would love to - iThis game has some HUGE potential but i feel the developers (square enix) have not used it at all, the game is buggy, some really bizzare things happen like for example the whole benefit of being a ghost is going through walls etc however i notice normal members of the public doing the same or getting stuck in walls, the voice acting is quite poor, sadly as much as i would love to - i cannot find many positives. its not a terrible game by any means, its mediocre

EDIT - Just finished the game, i liked the story, it was different so i have increased my score from a 6 to a 7 and thats very generous of me, cannot blame anyone for rating it lower than that.
  7. Jun 4, 2014
    Murdered: Soul Suspect is at best described as a modern version of the point and click adventure along the lines of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls with some of the more open control options found in Alan Wake.

The game is a pseudo open world game in which you are provided limited access to the city of Salem, MA during your investigations. I say limited access because your movement (even as a ghost) is blocked in this world to very specific paths, making the game feel very linear. I consider this a flaw in the game, but Square Enix has tied it to some existing lore which makes it hard to fault them. Basically as as ghost you can pass through anything that exists in the same plane as yourself and you can't go in to any consecrated location without having a door or window opened to invite you in, (It's amazing how much you learn through watching Supernatural) and while I find these to be specific design issues they do flow with the context of the game.

The game presents very little challenge in terms of difficulty as everything is pretty much multiple choice with unlimited choices and I am not certain that you can actually fail, even in the event you can fail, once you reload your save your right back on target without having lost anything. It's a saving grace in that you don't have to replay areas in the event you screw up but it's also a fault in that the game comes off as incredibly easy. This did make the game relaxing to play though with the context of the story attempting to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Your ghost powers do not feel as freeing as I feel they should have as once again everything is pretty much multiple choice. Once you possess a human NPC you will be presented with any number of four possible options regarding that character. It might be to influence, read mind, listen, and/or see. Each of these options have a limited number of multiple choice options and are required to some extent to move on in each questline but do not seem to have any huge impact on the narrative. Ronan will also find various ghost to interrogate throughout the primary and side questlines, these interrogations are more like basic conversations in which you ask one or two questions and get one or two responses and your back to moving right along. Some of them tie in to other parts of the story and those can be interesting while the others just feel more like filler. I have to make a side note on this, the best part of your ghost powers is that you can possess cats, like common house cats. I'm not joking at all, It was awesome playing as the douchiest creature on planet earth.

While making your way through the primary questline of the Bell Killer you will be able to solve additional crimes throughout Salem. They may come from other ghost trying to get closure allowing them to move on to the afterlife or collectibles located in a each specific area that tells the story about why that area is haunted. This extends the game a little as it keeps you from just running from point to point and completing it in a few hours. The investigations are not as complex as they appeared in LA Noire but does feel familiar to those who played that title. I do feel the story is very predictable on almost every level but others may find themselves surprised by some of the twist and turns, it isn't quite a walking cliche, but it's certainly close.

Graphically this game will remind people of Resident Evil 6 (as does the art style), which isn't a bad thing as it was a great looking game last gen. That is one of the major issues for me. We are now eight months in to the Xbox One / PlayStation 4 generation and we are still getting last generation graphics, this is primarily due to cross generation support and quite frankly it's time to move on. The game controls are as solid as most modern third person games with nothing to make it stand out or hold it back, again Resident Evil fans will be familiar with the default camera and movement as it also feels like it was pulled directly from Resident Evil 6.

I feel that many people who would enjoy this game are afraid to commit to it due to price and reviews. I feel this game is a solid rental and could be 100% completed in 1-2 days of casual play. Those who need to find all 200-ish collectibles (for achievements & trophies) may need a third day to play through it but I really don't see much replay value after that. I highly recommend checking Red Box, Gamefly, or any other rental service in your area and give this game a shot. If we see a price drop below $19.99 it would be worth the price of admission.
  8. Jun 5, 2015
    SCORE: 6.8/10

I'm recommending at sale price. For five dollars, it's worth a play through in 6-7 hours. It is a decent story, better than a decent amount of stuff on TV. Nice twists, good ending. Not spectacular, but pretty good. Graphics are also decent. No Ethan Carter or The Witcher 3, but pretty good. The voice acting is also solid. I've seen worse b-movies for sure.
    SCORE: 6.8/10

Graphics are also decent. No Ethan Carter or The Witcher 3, but pretty good.

The voice acting is also solid. I've seen worse b-movies for sure.

That is kind of this game. Solid, but certainly not spectacular. A fun little romp that is the perfect length for it's story. It doesn't overstay its welcome but I definitely wouldn't replay it either.
  9. Sep 1, 2014
    It's alright, defiantly not bad, has some good visuals and scary enemies but is just too easy and doesn't have more consequences for your choices like it should.
  10. Jun 3, 2014
    Not sure bout this one.Is this one bad like ' beyond two souls' was bad but great at the same time or is it 'Duke Nukem' bad? Cause I ranked beyond in my top 5 last year and it got similar reviews as Murdered Soul Suspect.Hey the Ramones got terrible reviews and they did not suck whereas Ace of Base got terrible reviews and they did suck.somebody please weigh in here and if your gonna beNot sure bout this one.Is this one bad like ' beyond two souls' was bad but great at the same time or is it 'Duke Nukem' bad? Cause I ranked beyond in my top 5 last year and it got similar reviews as Murdered Soul Suspect.Hey the Ramones got terrible reviews and they did not suck whereas Ace of Base got terrible reviews and they did suck.somebody please weigh in here and if your gonna be ignorant don't bother. I need an intelligent person's help. Expand
  11. Jun 11, 2014
    Technisch veraltet. (Vorallem für Next-Gen fast schon eine Beleidigung)
    Spielerisch anspruchslos.
    Storytelling ermüdent. Alles in allem bestenfalls durchschnittlich oder mittelmäßig. Ich mag es eigentlich, wenn Entwickler sich trauen etwas neues zu probieren und habe mich erst sehr drauf gefreut, da die Ideen und das Setting spannend klang. Um so enttäuschender, dass aus dem Potential
    Technisch veraltet. (Vorallem für Next-Gen fast schon eine Beleidigung)
    Spielerisch anspruchslos.
    Storytelling ermüdent.
    Alles in allem bestenfalls durchschnittlich oder mittelmäßig.
    Um so enttäuschender, dass aus dem Potential der grundsätzlich guten Prämisse des Spiels nicht viel gemacht wurde.
    Schade.
  12. Jul 16, 2014
    Every now and then, studios take chances when making new games. Some work out excellently, others completely crash and burn. Others get stuck somewhere in the middle, where the vision of what the studio was trying to do is clear, but the execution does not quite get there. Such is the case with Murdered: Soul Suspect.

The story in the game is compelling. Playing as the ghost of a

The story in the game is compelling. Playing as the ghost of a detective (who is surprisingly likable) trying to solve your own murder is interesting. Weaving in the history of the Salem Witch Trials (since the game takes place in Salem) is an additional twist and actually works well with the story. The graphics are fine, and the controls good, but you do not need them to be very responsive. The game is very much focused on investigation (think a scaled down version of LA Noire)...and that is about it. If you are interested in the story (which I was) then you will enjoy this game. If you are looking for an action or adventure game, you will want to look elsewhere.

I want to applaud Airtight Games or taking a chance on making this game. It is not perfect, but it was definitely different, with some great ideas and characters, but the execution was a bit lacking. Unfortunately, the studio closed about a month after the game was released which is just one more reason studios will be less likely to take a chance on unique/niche games.
  13. Jul 24, 2014
    The game is kind of a scavenger hunt. You know how in a game and there are all these hidden items you can collect? Whether that's your cup of tea or not, it's the core gameplay of Murdered Soul Suspect. You're going to be poking around...A LOT.
    The story is great, characters are interesting and there are some cool aspects of assuming the role of a ghost. It's almost like a video game version of that movie 'Ghost' with Patrick Swayze. There's also some little stealth action thrown in there which is kinda fun. I'd say buy this if you've run out of ps4 games to play, you might like it.
  14. Jul 26, 2014
    7.5/10 ...First of all this isnt nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. It really is a great game if you're into puzzle solving and crime fantasy. To me, it felt like a cross between the games CSI: Fatal Conspiracy, The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and Fatal Frame/Project Zero. I think the biggest problem people have with it is there isnt a lot of action. Its very story driven and7.5/10 ...First of all this isnt nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. It really is a great game if you're into puzzle solving and crime fantasy. To me, it felt like a cross between the games CSI: Fatal Conspiracy, The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and Fatal Frame/Project Zero. I think the biggest problem people have with it is there isnt a lot of action. Its very story driven and you interact with your surroundings as you go; collecting clues and putting the pieces together. Sometimes its not always obvious and other times the game doesnt do a very good job at wording things correctly, so sometimes your choices are hit and miss. Overall its a fun game, not much to do after you finish it but I would certainly recommend it to fans of crime adventures or the games i mentioned above. Very happy I bought it after sitting on the fence for a while. Expand
  15. Aug 31, 2014
    A decent game - I'm compelled to write as I totally disagree with the critic reviews who perhaps wrongly believed they were getting thier hands on COD or BF4 or something?
    This is not run and gun!
    Think Heavy Rain, sprinkle with LA Noire and you have Murdered: Soul Suspect. Now, it is not as good as Heavy Rain nor LA Noire but its not a AAA release (and associated price tag) afterall -
    This is not run and gun!
    Think Heavy Rain, sprinkle with LA Noire and you have Murdered: Soul Suspect.
    Now, it is not as good as Heavy Rain nor LA Noire but its not a AAA release (and associated price tag) afterall - its an A or AA at best release - that said, if you like the genre I'm talking about its worth a look.
    Its easy to beat (8-9 hours) but has a decent story and and a fair amount of side quests, plenty of collectables and trophies and an Ok/good story.
    Hand on heart - this is one of those games that requires being picked up at your local store 'used' section, taking home and beating and then trading back in - think about it - for the amount you'll actually pay, its decent value for money entertainment for a couple of nights..
    Taking this into account, 7 is a FAIR score...
  16. Oct 28, 2014
    Sadly, Murdered feels massively unfinished. It's sad because what is there is really quite decent.
    The setting and story are well realised, but there is too much left on the drawing board in gameplay terms.
  17. Nov 6, 2014
    The story itself is not terrible, it is actually interesting. Trying to find who the killer is and when you seem to have figured it out, a wrench is thrown in to take you somewhere else. However, The story itself is quite short. 4-6 hours. Also the empty, lifeless (no pun intended) open world ruins the feeling of the game. there is absolutely no reason for the open world other than a fewThe story itself is not terrible, it is actually interesting. Trying to find who the killer is and when you seem to have figured it out, a wrench is thrown in to take you somewhere else. However, The story itself is quite short. 4-6 hours. Also the empty, lifeless (no pun intended) open world ruins the feeling of the game. there is absolutely no reason for the open world other than a few side missions and the monotonous item search. Some games need to have a longer story line and a linear arc. looking at games like "Heavy Rain" it shows us that we don't necessarily need an open world to make the game longer. Sometimes all we need is a great riveting story line. Expand
  18. Nov 17, 2014
    The game itself is fantastic. Great visuals, great storyline, side missions to collect all trophies can be difficult but well worth doing to get everything out of the game. Twists and turns in the story leave you wanting more. We have only one problem that could of made the game that little bit better. A MAP!!...especially if you choose to do all the side missions as we did. You spend moreThe game itself is fantastic. Great visuals, great storyline, side missions to collect all trophies can be difficult but well worth doing to get everything out of the game. Twists and turns in the story leave you wanting more. We have only one problem that could of made the game that little bit better. A MAP!!...especially if you choose to do all the side missions as we did. You spend more time running around trying to find each destination than you do the actual collectables. Expand
  19. Jan 6, 2015
    Murdered: Soul Suspect starts out strong. Your character, Ronan, is murdered in the streets of Salem, Massachusetts, by an infamous murderer known as the Bell Killer. Ronan's gunned down and becomes a ghost, and is unable to pass on to the afterlife until his hangups on Earth are resolved. Ronan then makes it his personal mission to find the identity of the killer and stop him by using hisMurdered: Soul Suspect starts out strong. Your character, Ronan, is murdered in the streets of Salem, Massachusetts, by an infamous murderer known as the Bell Killer. Ronan's gunned down and becomes a ghost, and is unable to pass on to the afterlife until his hangups on Earth are resolved. Ronan then makes it his personal mission to find the identity of the killer and stop him by using his new abilities as a ghost to track him down. The game starts off strong, but the intro becomes the game's highest point and quickly falls from there. The sole cause of this is Soul Suspect's lack of any compelling gameplay whatsoever.

The gameplay first comes off as something new and exciting. As a ghost, you have abilities that no human has access to. Along with the standard abilities of walking through objects (that haven't been consecrated) and teleporting, you also have the skills of revealing ghostly essences and possessing people. Along with investigating the objects already apart there, you can use these abilities to draw out more clues unseen. By revealing the essence of ghostly objects, you unveil clues that are important to the investigation but are not currently there. Also, by possessing people, you are able to read their minds, or manipulate their thoughts to reveal what they know or make them carry out certain actions. All these abilities help you add more pieces to the puzzle, and it is your responsibility to then use all the evidence to draw a conclusion. The ghostly clues and the conclusion usually result in CSI-like flashbacks of what actually happened at the crime scene, which in turn moves the story forward. The gameplay is reminiscent of games like L.A. Noire, Heavy Rain, and even the Wolf Among Us. Unlike those games however, Soul Suspect's gameplay includes all the style of an investigation but none of the substance.

When you're investigating an area, the gameplay comes down to simply examining all of the objects with button prompts. This can be difficult because not all of the objects that need to be examined have anything about them that stand out. However, the gameplay becomes lacking when you draw your conclusion. To do this, all of the clues you have are displayed in front of you and you need to pick the three most relevant clues that answer your question. You must choose the right ones to move forward, but the frustration comes when you realize that there's absolutely no consequence for picking the wrong clue. If you do this, the game tells you it's wrong and to pick another one. That's it. The same goes for when you use a clue to manipulate people. The story doesn't change or alter depending on your decisions or skills at putting together the pieces, meaning the story stays the same regardless of what you do. Sure, shows like Law and Order or CSI do the same thing, but that's not right for something that is supposed to be an interactive experience, especially when games like LA Noire have already done similar gameplay much better in the past.

The same goes for the stealth gameplay against demons. Sneaking up behind demons to execute them can be somewhat fun, but it's too simple to be considered challenging. Also, since demons have little to do with the main plot, combat feels tacked on simply for the sake of adding combat.

Even the limited interactions with the real environment feel cheap. Being able to mess with technology through poltergeists to cause distractions seems cool, but unless the piece of technology you're using is part of a scripted sequence, the humans in the area show zero reaction to it. In one part, I made a TV screen stop working and the man watching the TV did nothing.

Overall, the gameplay's simplicity makes it a very hollow experience. That doesn't mean everything's bad. For example, the story is actually one of the best pieces, with truly shocking and gruesome moments that stand out. It even does a good job on playing off the already established history of the Salem Witch Trials. The story is interesting from beginning to end, which is ultimately kept my playing until the end.

The environment of Salem is well done, with consecrated objects from the city's pass coming through in the real world. Along with the standard world objects, you'll see a lot of old ones as well. Salem itself is also littered with spirits, each with their own stories, and a few with questions that you can help solve through well done side quests. The city is also littered with many objects that you can use to learn the city's history, Ronan's own history, and the history of the relationship between him and his deceased wife, giving the story and character's context.

Soul Suspect is confusing, not because of the mystery, but because of the obvious effort put into the story, characters and environment, but very little in the gameplay. In all honesty, instead of playing the game, you'll have just as much fun watching an entire Let's Play on YouTube. Don't waste your time with this title.
  20. May 12, 2015
  21. Sep 3, 2015
    I agve a 6, but I don't think the game is that bad or unplayable. But it just has some problems that could just be solved by making the investigation more clear, and having the clues more explained and detailed by the main character. Also, some characters look superficial, and more from the history of Ronan could be explored.
    Comparing to other investigation games (Phoenix Wright, Touch
    Comparing to other investigation games (Phoenix Wright, Touch Detective, Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments) this one was left behind.
    The combats vs. demons are kind of stupid sometimes, and the clues you get from all the challenges sometimes feel very random.

1. Oct 2, 2014
    If you're looking for a relaxing way to spend a rainy afternoon, Murdered fits the bill, but that's about it.
  2. Aug 25, 2014
    I expected Murdered to be an interesting, modern adventure game. Instead I got a very shallow story paired with irritating gameplay mechanics. [08/2014, p.52]
  3. An interesting concept with half-decent story beats, dragged to hell by shonky puzzles, odd dialogue jumps and bugs that are far more terrifying than the subject matter. [Aug 2014, p.87]