6.9

1. Jun 3, 2014
    This game has its flaws. It is not long (8-9hours). The narative is little slower (someone may call it boring). And due to lack of action and only few stealth scenes, the gameplay is kind of simple and not challenging. On the other hand the story is interesting, the investigation elements are kind of new (similar to L.A. Noire, but that is just only one competition so the novelty did not wore of yet). The small open world with many side areas to exprose was a surprise for me (I expected linear tunel) For me the most important part is that once I started the game I did not leave it until I finished it. I was not able to stop playing and exploring the world and story. And I finished satisfied. This is something that I dont find in many games these days. So if you can get over the lack of action. If you like the games like Heavy Rain, Beyond, last Telltale Games or you like the L.A. Noire investigation parts, then give this game a change. You may be very plesantly surprised. Expand
  2. Jun 3, 2014
    While I love a good mystery there just isn't much else to love here. The gameplay just isn't interesting except for the occasional combat sequence. The open world is small and restrictive, the last thing an open world should be. The best parts of the gameplay are very scripted and so the game as a whole feels restrictive. The main character fits the detective cliché perfectly and is pretty boring. The other characters are no better. Murdered Soul Suspect is a boring attempt at a murder mystery game lacking both good gameplay or an interesting story. Expand
  3. Jun 4, 2014
    This game is absolutely amazing The visuals, the gameplay, are all spectacular and it's refreshing. they have completely redefined storytelling in gaming with this masterpiece. It's about being a detective and boy, does it ever do it well.
  4. Jun 3, 2014
    This game is a lot of fun, not sure why the professional reviewers hate it so much. Maybe they're expecting it to be a fast-paced action game or something like that which it definitely isn't.

It's a detective game with an interesting story and characters that draws you in. It's also pretty novel in that you're playing a criminal-turned-detective's ghost who's trying to find the identity
    of his killer. You spend the game collecting clues to figure out your killer's identity while stopping along the way to help out other lost souls in little sidequests where you figure out how they died so they can pass on. There are also lots of collectibles, some of which provide background for the story, such as notes left by the main character's wife, or that unlock stories about unsolved crimes connected to hauntings. You end up collecting a lot of clues and you have to figure out which ones will help you solve whatever crime you're working on. They make sense and its fun. You can also posess the living, and while you can't move them, you can help them remember and eavesdrop on their conversations or thoughts. You can, however, posess cats which allow you to reach places you can't reach on your own. Everything about the game makes sense...you can't walk through the outdoor walls of buildings that have been consecrated, the demons you have to sneak past to take down from behind are souls who never passed on, etc. The mood the game sets just enhances the experience, being creepy and immersive.

Overall, this game is a lot of fun. Story is great, gameplay is fun, voice acting is well done. The only drawback is the graphics aren't as fancy as some of the other games coming out this year, but they are still pretty decent, especially the lip synching. If you like story-driven games, or mystery/adventure games then you'll probably like this game. If you want this game to be a gritty shooter, then go buy Max Payne instead, because you won't get that with this game.
  5. Jun 3, 2014
    Not sure bout this one.Is this one bad like ' beyond two souls' was bad but great at the same time or is it 'Duke Nukem' bad? Cause I ranked beyond in my top 5 last year and it got similar reviews as Murdered Soul Suspect.Hey the Ramones got terrible reviews and they did not suck whereas Ace of Base got terrible reviews and they did suck.somebody please weigh in here and if your gonna be ignorant don't bother. I need an intelligent person's help. Expand
  6. Jun 7, 2014
    Murdered: Soul Suspect

Story: I am currently half way through the story and will admit it does get you hooked, you start wanting to find out the killers motives and on top of that more about the main characters personal life, before he became a cop and what happened to him along the way. The only thing i can honestly say is wrong with the story is that the revelations about the killer
    is done by the collection of artefacts, therefore you if decide to just run from one checkpoint to the other without any exploration then you will miss some parts of the story.

Characters: The main character is quite intriguing, he is definitely a tortured soul, raised rough and seemingly a changed man in all aspects, instead of breaking the law he now rules it. This changeover of course has its sceptics and finding out more about what made him change and why keeps you stuck to the character and his development. The other characters you find out bits and pieces of but this in all keeps you keen to find out more.

Graphics: The Graphics to be honest are quite good in some parts and in others you can kinda tell that the creators spent more money on some stuff and sacrificed the others. This doesn't make it unbearable but it doesn't quite show what the PS4's true capability is. The only other thing that truly bugged me even though it is small is that when he talks to other ghosts his mouth stays shut and yet words are coming out. This is one of the smaller quirks they decided to sacrifice i suppose.

Result: The story and character development is this games main point of merit, the choices you make to bring the clues to life and give you the story is very interesting, but the lack of action will have some gamers at a loss.
  7. Jun 4, 2014
    I don't understand all the low reviews for this game ? This is not an action game it was never promoted as an action game its a fun puzzle game at it's core with a rich and compelling world. The demons and the little bit of combat that is in the game is perfect anymore would really be a drag and break the immersion. It's not a perfect game but it is a very fun game with a damn good story. If you are going into this game expecting lots of action instead of lots of exploration then yeah you are not going to be very happy.But since i am tired of all the FPS clones out now that are instantly forgettable i'm glad some developers have chosen to go a different route and give us something different to play. The game is a solid 8.5 and i would recommend it to everyone tired of run n gun shooters. Expand
  8. Jun 3, 2014
    New slip in the world of games
    Game duplicate intellectually there is no something new
    Especially appreciates you summarize or end the game in 10 hours and less
    Frankly, the price is very expensive such as these are to the game and should be cheaper
  9. Jun 6, 2014
    The game is so boring. There are 75% of cutscenes in the game. Primitive, stupid and ridiculous story. The graphics isn't very good too. This is the second disappointment of 2014 after the Watch Dogs. I don't recommed you to buy this game.
  10. Jun 7, 2014
    This is a really great game with an unique and interessting story, fun gameplay and nice crime solving puzzles. The Charakters are great and the german translation is superb.
  11. Jun 11, 2014
    THIS is what's wrong with the industry. Reviewers and websites want to insure business, They do that by "pleasing" the majority, and they do that by guessing what the majority would and wouldnt like and let that bias affect their own review of the games. This works sadly. But that is also why many who would enjoy a game such as Murdered Soul Suspect won't even try it. Sad reality.

This
    game doesnt have "action" it doesnt have shooting, stealing cars, and destruction. And it is better for it. In its own genre and taken as a separate entity, this game shines.
    It is a mix of old school adventure atmosphere, smartass detective work, it is slow but it is great. The Story keeps you interested, the acting is top notch, the relationship between the main character and his partner is akin that of Booker and Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite.
    This game is fun and funny, ok in some areas and amazing in others. It is a relaxing experience, and one that should be experienced. You'll feel like you are watching Ghost (the Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze flick) at times, at others it'll be a Tex Murphy experience.

It is a fun and enjoyable experience, I am more than glad I bought this game, and if this genre is your cup of tea, you will be quite glad you had this adventure. You can't beat possessing poeple and reading their thoughts.

Buy this game and enjoy it, if you have your doubts, wait for a sale. But don't miss it.
  12. Ed_
    Jun 5, 2014
    I am always up to a great cop story. No matter if it is realist L.A. Noire or ghostly Murdered: Soul Suspect. I simply love police work and investigation and this game perfectly gives it back.

Pros.: Fantastic story, no difficulty with controls, great sounds and graphics.
    Cons.: Sometimes more explanation would be needed on missions. There could have been more potential in the game.

When I first played with the game, I was skeptical because I didn't think I would enjoy the gameplay without actually doing anything as a ghost but I was mistaken. Things will be strange first, like you can't get into buildings through the doors or can't easily find your way to a location. Later you will get used to it and will surely enjoy game. When you have to collect clues, make up the story in your head and then finally get a cutscene where everything what happened will be shown is just amazing. Amazing like controlling a cat by possessing it.
    Characters are well written. You will get to know them very well, you can feel that they were part of Ronan's life and you can completely sympathize with them. The afterlife-Ronan's friends and allies are also likeable and has definitive goals.
    All in all, it is an enjoyable and first-class game. I don't understand how some people and even professional reviewers can give it a negative or mixed review. Try the game, I am sure you will like it if you like investigation and some mystery.
  13. Jun 23, 2014
    Murdered: Soul Suspect has some very positive things going for it. It has an engaging story and interesting side stories. It is fun to possess people and see what they are thinking which really adds to the atmosphere that the game creates. However this game has some drawbacks I felt that Ronin was not able to impact his environment very much except for when the story specifically guides the player to do so. In many ways this game is really an interactive story that involves the player to explore the environment and become absorbed in its plot. The game however is incredibly easy (Quite possibly the easiest game I've ever played) and for some may be boring if they do not care about the story. I would not recommend this game to anyone who getting this expecting a challenging game that requires fast reflexes or even someone that is getting the game thinking it will be a difficult puzzle game. This game is neither of those it is an easy interactive story that is fun and interesting.

Pros: Engaging story, fun side stories.
    Cons: Very easy, lacks interaction with environment, lacks gameplay mechanics, virtually no reason to replay the game.

Overall: I rate it a 6.5 (I pushed it up to a 7 because there is no 6.5 rating
  14. Jun 4, 2014
    Murdered: Soul Suspect is at best described as a modern version of the point and click adventure along the lines of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls with some of the more open control options found in Alan Wake.

The game is a pseudo open world game in which you are provided limited access to the city of Salem, MA during your investigations. I say limited access because your movement
    (even as a ghost) is blocked in this world to very specific paths, making the game feel very linear. I consider this a flaw in the game, but Square Enix has tied it to some existing lore which makes it hard to fault them. Basically as as ghost you can pass through anything that exists in the same plane as yourself and you can't go in to any consecrated location without having a door or window opened to invite you in, (It's amazing how much you learn through watching Supernatural) and while I find these to be specific design issues they do flow with the context of the game.

The game presents very little challenge in terms of difficulty as everything is pretty much multiple choice with unlimited choices and I am not certain that you can actually fail, even in the event you can fail, once you reload your save your right back on target without having lost anything. It's a saving grace in that you don't have to replay areas in the event you screw up but it's also a fault in that the game comes off as incredibly easy. This did make the game relaxing to play though with the context of the story attempting to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Your ghost powers do not feel as freeing as I feel they should have as once again everything is pretty much multiple choice. Once you possess a human NPC you will be presented with any number of four possible options regarding that character. It might be to influence, read mind, listen, and/or see. Each of these options have a limited number of multiple choice options and are required to some extent to move on in each questline but do not seem to have any huge impact on the narrative. Ronan will also find various ghost to interrogate throughout the primary and side questlines, these interrogations are more like basic conversations in which you ask one or two questions and get one or two responses and your back to moving right along. Some of them tie in to other parts of the story and those can be interesting while the others just feel more like filler. I have to make a side note on this, the best part of your ghost powers is that you can possess cats, like common house cats. I'm not joking at all, It was awesome playing as the douchiest creature on planet earth.

While making your way through the primary questline of the Bell Killer you will be able to solve additional crimes throughout Salem. They may come from other ghost trying to get closure allowing them to move on to the afterlife or collectibles located in a each specific area that tells the story about why that area is haunted. This extends the game a little as it keeps you from just running from point to point and completing it in a few hours. The investigations are not as complex as they appeared in LA Noire but does feel familiar to those who played that title. I do feel the story is very predictable on almost every level but others may find themselves surprised by some of the twist and turns, it isn't quite a walking cliche, but it's certainly close.

Graphically this game will remind people of Resident Evil 6 (as does the art style), which isn't a bad thing as it was a great looking game last gen. That is one of the major issues for me. We are now eight months in to the Xbox One / PlayStation 4 generation and we are still getting last generation graphics, this is primarily due to cross generation support and quite frankly it's time to move on. The game controls are as solid as most modern third person games with nothing to make it stand out or hold it back, again Resident Evil fans will be familiar with the default camera and movement as it also feels like it was pulled directly from Resident Evil 6.

I feel that many people who would enjoy this game are afraid to commit to it due to price and reviews. I feel this game is a solid rental and could be 100% completed in 1-2 days of casual play. Those who need to find all 200-ish collectibles (for achievements & trophies) may need a third day to play through it but I really don't see much replay value after that. I highly recommend checking Red Box, Gamefly, or any other rental service in your area and give this game a shot. If we see a price drop below $19.99 it would be worth the price of admission.
  15. Jun 4, 2014
    This game awesome. Absolutely better than king of this genre - Alan Wake. Great graphic with good sound ambient make it -game of the year. maybe the story of it not new. We seen it before in RIPD and etc. But who say that we can't rewrite this with some improvements which gracefully turn it in all new story.
  16. Jun 6, 2014
    Sure this game has it's flaws but what game doesn't? Also I don't understand the low "critic" scores. This game is fun, with a story that is actually really clever. Sure it's a bit cheesy at times, but still clever. The gameplay mechanics are easy to understand and we'll executed. Overall great game.
  17. Jul 24, 2014
    This game has some HUGE potential but i feel the developers (square enix) have not used it at all, the game is buggy, some really bizzare things happen like for example the whole benefit of being a ghost is going through walls etc however i notice normal members of the public doing the same or getting stuck in walls, the voice acting is quite poor, sadly as much as i would love to - i cannot find many positives. its not a terrible game by any means, its mediocre

EDIT - Just finished the game, i liked the story, it was different so i have increased my score from a 6 to a 7 and thats very generous of me, cannot blame anyone for rating it lower than that.
  18. Jun 30, 2014
    Game was a solid 7.
    The story was on par with most horror films, but for a game you need just a little more thrills to feel that the value in the 4 hour campaign is supported the by the demand the publisher & developer wanted at there $60.00 retail price. This is why it's getting mixed and negative reviews, if the game released at a $20.00 digital copy and $30.00 retail, it would have
    sold faster than Justin Beiber concert tickets would at middle school pep rally. So developers need to re-think there model for digital sales and games that don't offer the bells and whistles most conventional next gen games offer, of even current gen games as well. Expand
  19. Jul 26, 2014
    7.5/10 ...First of all this isnt nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. It really is a great game if you're into puzzle solving and crime fantasy. To me, it felt like a cross between the games CSI: Fatal Conspiracy, The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and Fatal Frame/Project Zero. I think the biggest problem people have with it is there isnt a lot of action. Its very story driven and you interact with your surroundings as you go; collecting clues and putting the pieces together. Sometimes its not always obvious and other times the game doesnt do a very good job at wording things correctly, so sometimes your choices are hit and miss. Overall its a fun game, not much to do after you finish it but I would certainly recommend it to fans of crime adventures or the games i mentioned above. Very happy I bought it after sitting on the fence for a while. Expand
  20. Jun 4, 2014
    I really don't understand the bad reviews for this game. If you like the narrative based detective type genre, you will love this game. It is not action-packed, nor is it supposed to be. That being said, it is not boring either, as long as you like a good story and piecing clues together. I took a chance and bought this even with the professional reviewers defecating all over the game. I'm very glad I did as it is a very rewarding experience in my opinion. I have only had one bug so far, when I used the "peek" option on a cop at the very beginning to see his notepad it wouldn't let me move the cursor on screen. I had to reload the latest checkpoint then all was fine. Other than that small thing, the game has been great. Expand
  21. Aug 31, 2014
    A decent game - I'm compelled to write as I totally disagree with the critic reviews who perhaps wrongly believed they were getting thier hands on COD or BF4 or something?
    This is not run and gun!
    Think Heavy Rain, sprinkle with LA Noire and you have Murdered: Soul Suspect.
    Now, it is not as good as Heavy Rain nor LA Noire but its not a AAA release (and associated price tag) afterall -
    its an A or AA at best release - that said, if you like the genre I'm talking about its worth a look.
    Its easy to beat (8-9 hours) but has a decent story and and a fair amount of side quests, plenty of collectables and trophies and an Ok/good story.
    Hand on heart - this is one of those games that requires being picked up at your local store 'used' section, taking home and beating and then trading back in - think about it - for the amount you'll actually pay, its decent value for money entertainment for a couple of nights..
    Taking this into account, 7 is a FAIR score...
  22. Aug 9, 2014
    If you are looking for a game with combat or stealth or something of this nature, stay away from it, as the game is not one of those types of games. This game is in the vein of something like La Noire or Beyond Two Souls, it is a game about looking for clues, investigating, and occasionally using your ghost powers. If having constant gameplay is something you dont need, youll get drawn in by the world of the game, which is very well thought out. Your main character is not the usual archetype. He is a bit of a badboy, being a wiseass who chainsmokes, but truly wants to help, and not just because he is dead. There are some pretty interesting characters and a story that has a unique twist to it and not an ending you can easily call out. It is a fun game, and I rate it an 8.5, I edged it to a 9 due to some of the bad user reviews on here that complaim about lack of aforementioned gameplay aspects. The problems with the game are 3 things: 1) it is too linear, it doesnt have any kind of branching like LA Noire does. It is also om the short side, took me around 9 or 10 hours to complete. And the final part of the game, if you are a completionist and want to do everything for a trophy, youll want to wait to do it until you complete ALL of the side stuff. You can 100% this in the first playthrough, but you wont be able to go back once you go to the final part, youll have to start a new save if yoi wanna do that stuff, which is just a glaring flaw, but one that at the same time is really small. Expand
  23. Jun 26, 2014
    Ok, this game is pretty unique, I give it that. If you are looking for an action or an rpg look somewhere else, obviously. This is an adventure game where you go from place to place, look for clues, think and select relevant clues to the crime scene and has occasional stealth. It is a relaxing experience for anybody, with some spooky elements and interesting story and mechanics. Beware, it is a console port with some bad decisions -like no manual saves and if you select by accident 'do not save the game' on the start - it will not be saved at all, I thought that option applied only to an initial save. In fact the game has only one save slot. Some mechanics are too scripted, like poltergeist - allowing you to influence technology, it is only spooking people when you are TOLD to use it. There some bugs and visual glitches, some puzzles are too easy. This features make the game worth about 7, but to me, due to the uniqueness and some strange appeal it is an 8. It is a special game, so beware you may end up hating it, but if if touches the right chord in you - you will love it. Expand
  24. Sep 18, 2014
    Something new, something different for once, you get to control a dead detective ghost that's trying to solve his murder and others that was killed by the bell killer. What I liked about Murdered: Soul Suspect is the story, what I didn't like about the game was how short it was and the demons are really annoying. You can beat this game in 1 day or 2 days. It took me about 5 hours and 30 minutes to beat.

I would give this game a chance. Go out and rent it or buy the game cheap.
  25. Jul 9, 2014
    The problem with most game reviewers and gamers today, is that if it doesn't explode and flash in your face every three seconds, it's considered sub-par. Long gone are the days of games which were slower paced, more thoughtful and engaging to a different kind of gaming audience. I really liked this game, plain and simple. The story and characters were very good and every mission felt different, keeping it from feeling meticulous. Yes, there are flaws in this game, but not every game can have the production value of a GTA 5. There's a lot to be admired in this game if you look for it. Take your time with it, don't rush it, enjoy it and see where it takes you. Well worth getting. Expand
  26. Jul 24, 2014
    The game is kind of a scavenger hunt. You know how in a game and there are all these hidden items you can collect? Whether that's your cup of tea or not, it's the core gameplay of Murdered Soul Suspect. You're going to be poking around...A LOT.
    The story is great, characters are interesting and there are some cool aspects of assuming the role of a ghost. It's almost like a video game
    version of that movie 'Ghost' with Patrick Swayze. There's also some little stealth action thrown in there which is kinda fun. I'd say buy this if you've run out of ps4 games to play, you might like it. Expand
  27. Aug 10, 2014
    This game has seen its fair share of mixed reviews lately. Most call it for its flaws,but few actually weigh them with what it gets done right. This game succeeds in what's important for a video game to need,but does only average in other aspects of its game. Nope,it certainly doesn't re-invent the wheel here,but what gets done right,it gets done really well. Let's go further into this to find out what it is.

The time,modern. The place,Salem,Massachusetts. I applaud them for picking a city rarely exploited in this media. The story is about a detective named Ronan O'Conner,who is hot on the trail of a serial killer known as The Bell Killer. As he closed in to close this case,he gets thrown out a window of a two-story building.slowly fighting to stay alive, The Bell Killer finishes him off with five shots to his body,ultimately ending his life. His spirit leaves his body,now in ghost form,and it's there he sees his recently dead wife Julia. As the light we all know we go to shines bright behind her,he is told he cannot pass on and unite with her again until he "takes care of his unfinished business",the thing that leaves him un restful till he finds resolution in himself. This is where the game begins,with you finding out who this Bell Killer is,and solving the murder of,well,you.

Along his journey he will make an unlikely friend named Joy Foster,a psychic medium who can see ghosts and the spirit realm,and meet Abigail Williams,the first spirit he runs into after becoming once himself.you'll also meet some other characters through the story,such as a cop who's had a grudge with Ronan,Ronan's Brother-in-law,and all the spirits of Salem.each spirit Ronan encounters have things in their way also keeping them from passing over to the other side. You will help them find resolution to their conflicts through your detective work,ultimately finding out if you have what it takes to help them or not. The story here is really good.better than most,in fact. Some may argue that Ronan is a two-dimensional character,and some might not be able to empathize with him,but ultimately he's no stereotype.he was written for the role he is meant to play in,and his character reflects the things that Ronan can do in his position,giving us better believability to why or how Ronan is doing something. I'd say most critics expect some emotional tear dropping pathetic man or some other form of emotional variety,but I was very please with how he was written. Perfect for the part he plays in this game.

The same can be said for the rest of the characters. They all play their parts and while no particular character stands out from the rest,the balance of archetypes here is well done. Again,if there's one thing this game does excellent,it's the story,keeping you guessing around every turn until the shocking end. So much story is here,in fact,that through collects else you find more insight to this rich world of Salem the developers created. Through news clippings,imprinted memories,random items(not that random since their story uses them mainly,but at first they are),plaques,pictures,and other things of that nature,you'll find information to better give you a sense of this worlds history,characters,and background.

Ok,now on to the bad. The gameplay is average at best. It basically breaks down to two,maybe three major components. The first,is exploration. While cool to walk through objects and possess people,the town of Salem isn't big or open. It's basically a hub instead,serving as just a central point to move you from one level to the next,with little to do in between.what they did here to make this world seem bigger was they had parts of the town that were once there,now ghostly renditions of themselves,such as boats,buildings still set ablaze from a great fire,and so forth. You can't just pass through buildings,and you definitely can't pass through those ghostly remains,so what would take you a minute to reach now takes you 4,due to all the walking around these objects.

The second is the detective mode,where you survey an area of interest and find clues to help you solve one big important question of your situation or two. While I have to admit I thought them harder than they actually were,there's no failing them. E only consequence to not getting the answer right the first time is your badge rating gets reduced. But the story will continue forward even when you pick every answer except the right one. But really,the questions aren't riddles,and neither are the answers. If you say to yourself "this clue cannot be directly what the question is referring to",then it is.

And last is the combat.. I know there needs to be a way to fail in this game,but it's not even worth talking about. It's just a mechanic poorly done here.

This game is definitely worth a rental simply cause there's no replay value in it and it's on the short side of things in length,but do not miss out on Soul Suspect. This is one story worth going through.
  28. Jul 8, 2014
    In my opinion, the video game was great. Sure, it wasn't the longest game, and it's no Outlast, but the story and the experience and the graphics, and so many other things to this game were outstanding to me. Maybe not the critics or the other users, but this game, by far, is one my favorites.
  29. Jun 13, 2014
    yet another over-hyped game only worse
    Pros:
    + The Idea behind it doesn't sound bad
    + The story is...okay
    Cons:
    - The Graphics are not even close to next gen or last gen
    - Most of the time you'll be looking at unskippable cutscenes
    - The gameplay is so boring
    Recommendation: No One
  30. Jun 30, 2014
    It's not that bad! The visuals are okay and the AI is buggy but at least they are trying to do something different. You're a ghost, you die (obviously) and you go around trying to figure out who killed you and sometimes you run into other ghosts or demons. Its okay, i liked it even though it wasn't that long and i had to restart my ps4 once because i got stuck in a door :)

1. Aug 25, 2014
    I expected Murdered to be an interesting, modern adventure game. Instead I got a very shallow story paired with irritating gameplay mechanics. [08/2014, p.52]
  2. An interesting concept with half-decent story beats, dragged to hell by shonky puzzles, odd dialogue jumps and bugs that are far more terrifying than the subject matter. [Aug 2014, p.87]
  3. Jul 29, 2014
    Murdered is a game that does a lot of things sub-par, but what it does offer is an engaging, well written story. You just have to look past the mess.