NBA 2K14 PlayStation 4

6.5

1. Jan 20, 2014
    I love the graphics, but I really do not like how I have to use the vc points to actually do anything in the game, the 3pt shot is too easy, we should be able to fast forward through the cut-sceens, and in online play I can't even play with certain players cuz they are not on the roster for some reason
  2. Nov 15, 2013
    I was hoping that they would make a big improvement with the graphics from the last game, with all the updates with the console engineering, I wouldn't say that it is a terrible game though. The game is still as fun as ever, and can be really addicting, but I'm not sure if I can put my finger on anything seriously wrong with the game.
  3. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While it might be the best Basketball game out atm, it is still lacking in some departments.

- Player control, atm I am playing the mycareer, and I can get so extremely frustrated when my player moves opposite to my controls, or doesn't respond. I have lost plays to backcourt violations a couple of times due to my player spassing out and moving back, when my sticker was clearly pointed forwards.
    - AI. While in general it is pretty good, it can get very frustrating. Say I am defending the ball, if I get screened then usually the defender who is covering the player screening me would take my man. In this game? No no, they won't change mark, and if the one your defending against happen to score from the screen, you also get negative points from that (goes into your overall score and affects your VC earnings which are essentially experience points to develop your player)
    - Animations, this ties in to player control aswell, sometimes the animations ends up doing something completely unexpected, or they glitch or etc. can become very annoying.
    - Loading times, I am playing the downloaded version, and even so (it cannot load from disc and hdd) the loading times are atrocious. This, more than anything, can get me riled up if I sit down to player for an hour or two.
    - Cutscenes galore... WOW! Ok... I understand that the game is trying to simulate the real world, where, at least in america, there are commercials, and reports, and live journalism, and whatnots... But please, let me skip all of that if I do not WANT it. Sprint halftime report presented by spring is quickly becoming my least favorite title of anything, ever. Also, sometimes you get to skip, but it is extremely slow. Like the introduction to the game will move ahead for 30sec before you get to skip it, and some small cutscenes will not let you cut through at all. This is for MyCareer, since that is what I play mostly, cannot say for the other parts yet.
    - Story... I mean, fine, try it, see if you can make it work... But this one is atrocious, and silly. You will hear the same exact sentences over, and over and over again. I guess it is Bob the windowman's birthday several times a year, and BBQ's with the GM happens every week too =)

Now it might sound like I really hate the game, but I don't, the game is good enough, fun enough to have me coming back for more... But it would be so much better if the above points were fixed.
  4. Jan 12, 2014
    When the game is playable it is easily one of the best games on next-gen. The game looks absolutely stunning. The players actually look like their real life counterparts and play like them as well. The emotions they show also add a little something extra to the game. The MyGM mode is interesting and can be great when it is working. I personally don't like the MyPlayer mode in NBA 2K14 asWhen the game is playable it is easily one of the best games on next-gen. The game looks absolutely stunning. The players actually look like their real life counterparts and play like them as well. The emotions they show also add a little something extra to the game. The MyGM mode is interesting and can be great when it is working. I personally don't like the MyPlayer mode in NBA 2K14 as much as I did in previous years. However, the games biggest problem is that to completely enjoy it you need to be online and since 2K's servers suck... that can be a problem. Think of it like Battlefield 4's problems. When the game is working it is easily a 9/10, when it isn't 2/10. Expand
  5. Jan 11, 2014
    I love this game, but hate it at the same time. Entertainment value is constantly in flux between legitimately having fun and wanting to chuck your controller at the wall. The MyPlayer mode has adopted more of an RPG feel to it now, with lots of cutscenes and player choices that ultimately impact how your career will unfold. It isn't just about playing the games and racking up as manyI love this game, but hate it at the same time. Entertainment value is constantly in flux between legitimately having fun and wanting to chuck your controller at the wall. The MyPlayer mode has adopted more of an RPG feel to it now, with lots of cutscenes and player choices that ultimately impact how your career will unfold. It isn't just about playing the games and racking up as many triple-doubles as you can anymore. If you're a douchebag off the court it will correlate directly with how your teammates treat you in game situations, among other things. Some events are quite clearly scripted though and have the tendency to occur at the most inopportune moments. Cutscenes dealing with injuries and/or arguments with the referees always seem to take place when you're on a roll in the middle of a heated game. You get taken out or ejected and your team ends up losing...nice. There was another instance in which my player (FT rating of 95) choked away 2 free throws at the line with a few seconds left that cost me a game, just to activate a cutscene where a teammate calls me out and says that I need to shoot 50 FTs at the next practice. Your experience should be relative to your own skillset and how you play, rather than being quite obviously rigged to stay in line with a linear path. Other than that, progressing your player and seeing him develop has that allure that keeps you playing. One thing that I will say is that once your player becomes REALLY good it becomes way too easy to win games which can churn out some unrealistic results. I play for the Sacramento Kings- not a good team by any stretch of the imagination, yet we have won 24 consecutive games and counting. Obviously winning is the objective of any game, but when you are literally blowing out every team that you play it isn't fun nor realistic. At least in my opinion.

MyGM (Association) is interesting but very bugged. There is a glitch that prevents you from negotiating contracts outside of the lowest possible offer, which obviously no player ever accepts so essentially you cannot sign players in free agency or even re-sign your current players. Your only hope of progressing your team is via trades and through the draft. They really need to fix this issue. Another major complaint that I have is the fact that you need to spend VC to unlock menial yet essential functions in operating your team such as adjusting the rotation and the ability to fire underperforming staff. This wouldn't be a big deal if VC wasn't so hard to come by. You can purchase VC with your own money, sure, but I for one refuse to spend additional cash on top of the $60 that went towards the game itself. How greedy can 2k Sports possibly get? So it's the slow grind for me. Simulating season after season with the Miami Heat just to work my way up to a few thousand VC. It's tedious and unnecessary. We have had complete and unrestricted freedom in every other 2k game, why strap us down now?

The gameplay can also be a headache. The AI simply does not miss shots on higher difficulty levels. If they somehow miraculously do, rest assured that they will grab an offensive rebound and promptly lay it in the basket. No empty trips. They throw indefensible alley oops from the 3 point line and will drain shots right in your face, through traffic, contact, whatever. Conversely your players will brick wide open shots regardless of their attributes and it seems like every other pass you make either strays wayward or is intercepted. The only way to counterbalance this is to adjust the sliders, but even that doesn't provide for a realistic experience when you have both teams shooting 85% from the floor. 2k still has some work to do in the way of balance.

Overall the game can be very frustrating but as I said, there is something about it that keeps you playing regardless of the flaws. Perhaps because it has little competition in the way of a suitable alternative in NBA Live. If you are craving for an NBA game, go 2k over Live. It isn't that 2k is positively amazing, but more so the fact that a B- product is being rivaled by a D product.
  6. Jan 18, 2014
    If it wasn't for a ton of bugs and horrid servers, 2K would get a higher score.

PROS: -Gameplay is better, still not great, but an improvement from last gen. -Graphics are stunning, and definitely the best looking sports game ever. -MyCareer story mode is interesting, and adds more than just playing game after game. -Soundtrack is much better than 2k13's Jay Z and songs
    If it wasn't for a ton of bugs and horrid servers, 2K would get a higher score.

PROS:

-Gameplay is better, still not great, but an improvement from last gen.

-Graphics are stunning, and definitely the best looking sports game ever.

-Soundtrack is much better than 2k13's Jay Z and songs about Brooklyn soundtrack, although I could do without Blurred Lines.

-MyGM is much more in-depth than the old Franchise mode.

CONS:

-Story mode for MyCareer often seems to "rig" games to make sure a certain cut scene makes sense.

-Lots of in game bugs.

-2K serves are trash as of right now.

-Park requires PS+, which sucks.

-You now need to buy shoes with VC, and until you get a endorsement in MyCareer, which comes late in your rookie season (depending on how you play), you'll be rocking 2K generics, which is really stupid.

Overall, maybe the best basketball game ever made, and I hope 2K can sort out these issues in future titles.
  7. Feb 6, 2014
    I have had this game since launch and have yet to have an issue with connectivity. Every time I want to play I am able to play. Please ignore the reviews of those that insist on ruining a metascore with 0s and 1s. If you read most of those reviews you can easily see they are cry-babies that just want to vent because they can't get their instant gratification one time.
    As far as the game
    As far as the game itself, it is good. It is not great, but it is good. Graphically it is pretty nice, but not as groundbreaking as they advertised it (keep in mind I max out at 1080i since my plasma is a good decade old). I tried GM mode and it wasn't what I was looking for. I have been playing MyCareer which is fun but riddled with flaws that don't break the game, but definitely hurt immersion. I tried to get traded several times and each time they use the exact same cut scene to highlight my desire to leave the Bucks (who could blame me!). A little variety would be nice. It is a small issue, but I look for immersion when I game. Once on the court the game plays well, but not perfect. On more than one occasion I passed the ball to a teammate that, for no reason at all, ran to the back court as I was passing, thus turning the ball over. Fairly regularly while on defense it will switch who you are supposed to cover as the ball is passed and shot, penalizing you for allowing your man to score when there is no way it is possible to get even close to him, nor would it have been your responsibility to stop him at that point. It has cost me an A rating on more than one occasion. These are minor issues in the grand scheme of things, but frustrating nonetheless. For a launch title I think this game does far more well than it does poorly. I am a little over halfway through my first season in MyCareer and am going strong. I have yet to try any online play since it looks like most of the players have capped stats. That, in itself, frustrates me since I know some of those people didn't actually play to build their stats, but instead paid to win by purchasing in-game points with real money. I feel that ruins the game for the rest of us that want to EARN their spot. I, therefore, will not play online until I have earned the points to upgrade appropriately. I don't enjoy lacking the competitive edge because I am not willing to offer additional real money to compete. The voice acting in this game isn't the worst I have heard, but it is definitely not the best. It seems unrealistic to do voice work with every player in the league, but it does annoy me slightly when I have a cut scene where one character speaks and the other is text. Once again, breaks immersion, but I can't expect perfection from a launch title.
  8. Mar 20, 2014
    I somewhat like the game, but I do not like that you cannot turn off live roster. Live roster updates slow and forces you to play with injuries turned on. Also the menus are a pain to navigate. The visuals are the only step up frost last gen. Also there is an issue with the sound that hasn't been addressed by 2k. It is unbelievably annoying. I prefer the PC (last gen) version with modsI somewhat like the game, but I do not like that you cannot turn off live roster. Live roster updates slow and forces you to play with injuries turned on. Also the menus are a pain to navigate. The visuals are the only step up frost last gen. Also there is an issue with the sound that hasn't been addressed by 2k. It is unbelievably annoying. I prefer the PC (last gen) version with mods over this any day. Expand
  9. Mar 4, 2014
    I have not played a basketball game in years, I mean years. First thing I noticed was how pretty the graphics are. On the other hand don't know if its just me but I find it very difficult to defend and to tell if I have got my timing right when shooting. This is probably just me and may figure it out when I play it more. Like that there is different game modes, I enjoy the 1on1's not doneI have not played a basketball game in years, I mean years. First thing I noticed was how pretty the graphics are. On the other hand don't know if its just me but I find it very difficult to defend and to tell if I have got my timing right when shooting. This is probably just me and may figure it out when I play it more. Like that there is different game modes, I enjoy the 1on1's not done much on the career mode. Expand
  10. Mar 13, 2014
    First off this game does rock love it... I am very dissapointed in a few missing features though... There is a terrible glitch with the sound going in and out and the "My career" mode is messed up... You cant trade players and you cant start your own "franchise" like you could for the ps3 or 360... I really hope 2k knows what they are doing for 2k15 and adds these features as well as fixesFirst off this game does rock love it... I am very dissapointed in a few missing features though... There is a terrible glitch with the sound going in and out and the "My career" mode is messed up... You cant trade players and you cant start your own "franchise" like you could for the ps3 or 360... I really hope 2k knows what they are doing for 2k15 and adds these features as well as fixes all glitches.... Expand
  11. Aug 21, 2014
    as a fan of this series i have to say 2k14 was a dissapointment ive been playing the game for 15 years or more since Dreamcast, 2k14 was missing many modes one in particular was "Online Association" in this mode you can Join an Association with up to 29 other friends , Draft your whole roster , Trade players and sign players from free agency play up to an 82 game season and simulate theas a fan of this series i have to say 2k14 was a dissapointment ive been playing the game for 15 years or more since Dreamcast, 2k14 was missing many modes one in particular was "Online Association" in this mode you can Join an Association with up to 29 other friends , Draft your whole roster , Trade players and sign players from free agency play up to an 82 game season and simulate the real NBA season from all aspects as the Team Owner. 2k14 only had 3 modes basically, MyCareer which you create a player similar to "Road To the Show" And progress his stats throughout the season,MyTEAM a mode similar to "Ultimate Team" (Virtual Card Collecting) which is actually pretty fun you can collect Legends and Modern day Players...And Finally Quick Match Online Vs Another User , the server is horrible for NBA2k has been for years , i will say On the Court gameplay is REALLY GOOD although it has issues that need to be addressed. 2k said because they had to make 2 different versions of the game one for Last-Gen(PS3-360) and One For "Next-Gen" (PS4-X1) they couldnt put all the true game modes fans wanted into next-gen and it definitely shows , the presentation was also horrible from the moment you see the Main Menu it resembled something from the Ps2 era sadly, much more to say but ill shut up now . @ChillionaireNW Expand
  12. Dec 21, 2014
    Really great graphics, Myplayer is the funnest its ever been, and the GM is fun for those who like to run their favortie team. But honestly, all the hype around Lebron makes the game feel like its sponsored by him.

1. Dec 19, 2013
    A genuine step-up for the NBA 2K series, and a great showcase for next-gen visuals. [Jan 2014, p.71]
  2. Dec 11, 2013
    The inclusion of microtransactions and the need for an internet connection have a major impact on how easy it is to recommend this game. Still, it’s the best basketball game on the market.
  3. Dec 6, 2013
    In this next gen' era filled with crappy ports, NBA 2K14 is an exception, a great example with brand new graphics engine allowing impressive graphics. Visual Concepts's Basketball sim delivers graphics never seen in a sport games, and gives a meaning to the term next gen' on par with Killzone : Shadow fall and Battlefield 4. But beyond impressive graphics NBA 2K14 keeps touching perfection in terms of gameplay, still as precise as ever, with a game experience still more satisfying due to the very well done AI. You still don't know what game to buy for your PS4 or your Xbox One? Think again.