6.2

1. Nov 17, 2013
    This game was unique to me, but I got tired of it shortly after. This game and battlefield in my opinion are the best 2 first ps4 games that have came out so far. As you look at the games coming out for ps4 you have to think this is just the beginning my friends.
  2. Dec 11, 2013
    Graphics are slightly stepped-up and the usual NFS gameplay is there, but for some reason this feels like a substantial step backward from Most Wanted on PS3. Maybe it's the overwhelming focus on stats, the lackluster soundtrack (again) or the fragmented gameplay, but more of the same is starting to get stale if you've played the last two Need For Speed games.

That being said, whether

That being said, whether you've played those games or you're brand new to the series, Need For Speed is still easily one of the most satisfying arcade racers out there and Rivals keeps things fresh enough.
  3. Mar 15, 2014
    Need for Speed Rivals delivers both in terms of the visuals and in terms of the gameplay. Well worth a buy, but I first must mention the ups and downs of the game;

To start with, the choice between cop and racer is something which has existed for a while now, but is executed perfectly in this game. Playing as the police, you will have to patrol Redview County to hunt down racers, take on challenges, and perform multiple tasks that are predetermined in the base before setting out into the world. Each task is varied, and stretch from completing a certain challenge to driving at a specific speed by a police camera. Completing these tasks will progress you through the game, and with that, through the story (the story being something which, in my opinion, felt rather cheap and lacking). The same goes for the racer career, although in that, you must race one another and evade the police, racking up speed points and climbing leaderboards.

Probably the games biggest feature is the seamless integration between both single and multiplayer. Whilst driving along, you will occasionally meet with other players, who may either be with or against you on the driving grounds. With this, you can either take them down, team up, or leave them be. Although I found this rather evolutionary and clever, it seems to get in the way quite a bit, and may leave you slightly disoriented from time to time.

Something which people seem to cling onto with dear life in the Need for Speed franchise is the cusomisation options. With this, you can change the colours of your cars, upgrade performance (in the racing career) and pursuit tech, and add and swap out vinyls. It's certainly no Most Wanted, Carbon, or Underground, but for what it's worth, it serves well and feels merely like an addition to the bigger picture that is the games true core; racing and chasing.

I mentioned earlier, but will bring it up again; the game looks beautiful, like a true next gen game. I really felt like I was playing on PS4. The water details, weather, and environmental textures are all fantastic, and all add to the immersion.

The handling on the vehicles seems fair, but not strictly realistic. However, this is no simulator, and you wouldn't expect something such as this to be realistic.

In terms of content, the game has multiple challenges and tasks, along with a good collection of cars, side tasks (cameras, jumps, etc.) and of course, the multiple environments (fields, mountains, beaches, small towns), the game really does seem to deliver. The ultimate downside to the content is the map size; it feels incredibly small, and thus, the transitions between environments feels hollow and cheap (jumping straight from a lush valley to a freezing temperate is rather disorienting). This also makes you feel a large sense of deja vu, and rightly so, as you will constantly return to the same spots over and over again. However, the races and chases feel truly tense and deliver as they should, so some flaws can be forgiven.

Overall, the game is great, but is not without it's flaws; small map and lacking cusomisation for cars are the first that spring to mind. I can't give this game a perfect score, even if it does look and feel like a perfect game, but I can certainly recommend it.
  4. May 11, 2014
    Boring map, lifeless driving mechanics, lackluster sound and bad car models. The graphics are not a step up from Most Wanted 2012 despite it running on Frostbite 3 in 1080p. As a sequel to Hot Pursuit 2010, Rivals does a good job in giving the player more freedom by adding more content. You have more choice over how you progress in the career, and you can actually use your speed points toBoring map, lifeless driving mechanics, lackluster sound and bad car models. The graphics are not a step up from Most Wanted 2012 despite it running on Frostbite 3 in 1080p. As a sequel to Hot Pursuit 2010, Rivals does a good job in giving the player more freedom by adding more content. You have more choice over how you progress in the career, and you can actually use your speed points to upgrade cars and buy pursuit tech. As a racer, you have an incentive to escape the cops. Unlike Hot Pursuit, this game is open world ,albeit nowhere in the same league as Burnout Paradise in terms of content. However, much of the magic that Hot Pursuit had has been lost. The driving attempts to be less arcade and drifty, and in doing so, it's lost the sense of speed so it's no longer intense. There seems to be no difference between a good and bad driver. You can crash and be as imprecise as you like and still get the gold medal in a time trial. The promise of customisation is poorly realized. Visually all you can do is change the colour and number plate, and performance-wise you can do some basic upgrades but no tuning. Furthermore, there are no tiers of cars. The performance difference is substantial in the menus, but on the road it's difficult to tell apart a Cayman S from a 458. There's just so little excitement in this game. I's just full throttle all the time with no need to be precise or skillful in any way. You can't be bad at this game. So in summary, the attempt to offer more of the same is a sensible idea, but overall Rivals lacks the excitement that Hot Pursuit delivered. The additions are not substantial enough, so I would suggest avoiding this if you have played Hot Pursuit. Expand
  5. Dec 29, 2013
    Controls are garbage and EA give no way of configuring them to your own style. Needs a fix to make a good game playable.
    Not everyone plays the same way and I hate steering with a joy stick and E-Brake on the square button where the normal brake always used to be? C'mon, this needs sorting.
  6. Dec 31, 2013
    I am more of a fan when these games had a story and you started out with more modest cars and built them up. Sure the game looks nice and is fun for ten hours or so, the game becomes to be extremely repetitive. Unlocking new cars is boring and only time consuming. I would rather play an old burnout game rather than this
  7. Nov 23, 2013
    Beautiful, fun and familiar. I love the world and seamless multiplayer but I never really ran into them on the roads much. I've always loved NSF but I miss the stories of the earlier games. Give me some deeper narrative and make me care more about the driver and world. Not like the run but more like under grounds and the original hot pursuits. The later part of the game grinds if youBeautiful, fun and familiar. I love the world and seamless multiplayer but I never really ran into them on the roads much. I've always loved NSF but I miss the stories of the earlier games. Give me some deeper narrative and make me care more about the driver and world. Not like the run but more like under grounds and the original hot pursuits. The later part of the game grinds if you choose to upgrade your cars rather than buy the newest ones. It's a blast to play but just know its all been done before. Expand
  8. Jun 13, 2014
    1. The graphics engine is poorly optimized, hence EA had to lock the game at 30 fps
    2. The driving mechanics are aweful, (NFS 2012, HP 2010 are rocking), i though crieterions are involved so it`d be great but it`s total waste of money.
    3. Graphics are a step backward from nfs 2012 which at least gives you a modern look of cities, while rivals is opposite, despite a dx11 game, it still is a thumb down when comparing graphics with nfs hp 2010
    4. AI is stupid, no matter how much upgrades you apply, or how long you master the skill, you can`t anticipate if you would win? ( a little exagerated but, this is like it)
    those of you who hasn`t bought it, dont
  9. Feb 20, 2014
    This game was the first brand new game I purchased for my PS4. I was looking forward to seeing what the graphics were like on the next gen compared for prior gen, and must say, the graphics were very incredible. The map is very large and very realistic. Each detail on each and every vehicle was very defined. However, aside from the looks, I'd consider this game considerably average.This game was the first brand new game I purchased for my PS4. I was looking forward to seeing what the graphics were like on the next gen compared for prior gen, and must say, the graphics were very incredible. The map is very large and very realistic. Each detail on each and every vehicle was very defined. However, aside from the looks, I'd consider this game considerably average. There are extremely limited customization options and a short amount of time is required to unlock each vehicle. Also, the pursuits are way less interactive compared to other NFS titles like Carbon. Also, I found the online features of the game to be more of a nuisance than anything. Nonetheless, I did find the game relatively fun to play and awesome to look at. Expand
  10. Mar 22, 2014
    I went from loving this game, 10/10. To loathing playing it towards the end. Now don't get me wrong, I have beaten the game completely. But it's the gameplay after this that began to bother me.

Every time I go to play a race now just to enjoy racing and beating my times and what not, I get so frustrated with the game I have to quit. And it's the cops fault. It's over the top once you've beaten the game and unlocked the final cars. I can look past the stupid artificial difficulty the game has, I mean c'mon. How does a car that's a lower tier than mine, stay constantly ahead of me at the same speed on a straightaway when I'm drafting them and using a turbo and they aren't even using Nitros? Uh huh. But no. It's the cops that throw it over the top for me. The fact that they will ALWAYS be faster than you, constantly load in in front of you, and chain 3 emps one after the other guaranTEE that you won't enjoy your racing experience after you've beaten the game. No amount of jamming and ESFing can stop that.

Another thing. The soundtrack is AMAZING. But you NEVER get to hear a song all the way through. The cops music is ALWAYS playing, and it gets old FAST.

Now, this is all from the perspective from somebody who wants to play a game after I've beaten it. Which I like to do with racing games. That's the joy of maxing out your car and taking it for a spin. But in this game that's not possible. As soon as you leave the hideout you have at least 3 cops on you, and you can't outrun them. Not even in the maxed out 10 speed koenigsegg, you can lose them though by running around in circles and never making any forward progress.

Up until the game was over and I wanted to enjoy the "replayability value" this game was a solid 8.5/10.

After you've beaten the career and you never get to enjoy more than 3 seconds without being interrupted by a horde of cops, the game drops to a horrendous 3/10. One point each for graphics, controls, and map size.

All in all, the game is great if you just want to beat the main missions and put it down. But don't bother trying to replay it and complete all of the races after that, as you'll be plagued with frustration and annoyances.
  11. Sep 16, 2014
    I love driving games, I love the competition, the constant search for improvement, that 100th of a second by taking the corner perfectly, braking as late as possible but still being able to make the bend. That's why when I got a PS4, granted, a bit late (April time) I had to pick up the only available racing game. Need for Speed Rivals.
    I found Rivals to be enjoyable to begin with,
    I found Rivals to be enjoyable to begin with, however the cheesy, and frankly terrible, story of "rivals becoming enemies" yada yada yada quickly became very off putting. The racing itself is quite good, however I feel a few features that have been in racing games for quite a while were missing, such as split times and lap races. For a games that tells you to try and beat your friends times constantly, it would be nice if we could see during races where we are losing time. Another pitfall that again felt fun to begin with but quickly became an annoyance was the weapons, most feel quite samey, it also seems that the enemies tend to seek you out more than the AI cars. The AI cars are also very quick to recover and break the concept of faster cars. You will see in races where you are on the straight going flat out in the fastest car in the game with Nitrous boosting you, other "slower" cars catching you up. This can be particularly annoying if you have spent an entire race in front, only to be overtaken by a car that is slower than you at the death. I played through the entire racer campaign, and completed every speed list on the cop campaign. The cop campaign did have a bit more enjoyment, purely because you got to wreck cars. Again though, this got old fast. The only reason I managed to complete the whole thing is because I was going to go for the platinum trophy, however, I got so bored that I gave that up as a bad job and traded the game in before getting round to completing all the racer speed lists.
    Graphically the game is great. the deserts, the forests and the snowy mountain passes all look fantastic on the PS4, the cars also look great. One thing I would like to see from a racing game in the PS4/XB1 generation is some accurate damage physics.
  12. Jan 4, 2015
    It's great fun to play but for some strange reason there are only two camera's a behind the car view and a bumper view that's very close to the ground. There is no natural driving view that makes you feel like you're in the car. Nice graphics and meaty engine noises. If it had a decent camera view this game would be awesome instead of just ok
  13. Jan 16, 2015
    Not worth the $12 I paid for it or the time I invested. This game is, at it's best, a vaguely interesting cliche ridden pile of dross that somewhat answers the cries of the fans of the series. At it's worst, it is a supremely frustrating game with civilian traffic rendering out of nowhere, and races unfairly weighted.

Speaking positively, the game at the very least attempts to create

Speaking positively, the game at the very least attempts to create some plot to keep you interested. But at the end of the day, I just found myself running through the motions checking things off my to-do list. The game looks and sounds good, although I wish the cops had a bit more dialogue at their disposal than the same two or three lines. The social integration is a nice touch, although unless you have a sizable amount of friends playing with you, it falls flat, and human drivers just serve as another nuisance.

The game world, while gorgeous to look at, makes it nearly impossible to navigate the numerous shortcuts that you have to take to succeed. It's almost as if the developers tried too hard to make a good looking game, as you'll find moisture on your car when there isn't a cloud in the sky. You'll often find yourself ending your race and losing all of your accumulated Speedpoints for that session all due to one unfortunate crash. The plot is basically non-existent, and without farming for points, it's impossible to accrue every unlockable vehicle.

I really wanted to like this game. Unfortunately, the latest installment is just as forgettable as Hot Pursuit. While it may have been an entertaining time sink at launch, there are now far superior games out there that are more deserving of your time and money. Would not recommend.
  14. Jul 13, 2015
    Buena idea lo del mundo libre y como se personalizan pero imperdonable que no tenga multijugador local. El tema online faltaría que sea más fácil interactuar con el resto de los jugadores.
  15. Nov 16, 2013
    The game is graphically gorgeous and I like that there are many different paths a racer can take to get to the same destination that are off the normal grid. I think that EA did a great job on the multiplayer aspect of the game as it allows for multiple human racers to interact with one another cooperatively or competitively as they are completing objectives. In general I don't feel EAThe game is graphically gorgeous and I like that there are many different paths a racer can take to get to the same destination that are off the normal grid. I think that EA did a great job on the multiplayer aspect of the game as it allows for multiple human racers to interact with one another cooperatively or competitively as they are completing objectives. In general I don't feel EA took any risks in making this game as it is not much different then any other racing game. They did however drastically improve on the graphics. My main compliant so far is EA really screwed up on the intro/tutorial of the game. It was by far the worst tutorial for a racing game I've ever encountered. I felt like I was forced to spend 45 minutes of listening to cut scenes and tutorial videos before I was allowed to actually race. This definitely took away from my initial experience with the game. It gets better after the intro the main problem is the intro takes too long and is not fun. Expand
  16. Nov 27, 2013
    Awful PC port is not what next gen should be. Shame on you, EA. Its locked on 30fps and it runs horribly on towns sections, making it unplayable on GTX550, even at minimal graphics.
  17. Jan 16, 2014
    My favorite racing game on last Gen was EA other racing game Burn out paradise this is noting like it has a lot of downs but a few ups. I like yet hate this game for many reasons here is the Good and the bad. The game is very Pretty and looks nice I like how all the real cars are in this and feels great also the environment is good. The bad Story mode, Online Play, cops, cop mode and noMy favorite racing game on last Gen was EA other racing game Burn out paradise this is noting like it has a lot of downs but a few ups. I like yet hate this game for many reasons here is the Good and the bad. The game is very Pretty and looks nice I like how all the real cars are in this and feels great also the environment is good. The bad Story mode, Online Play, cops, cop mode and no city. This game feels like it is made for online and is hard to go offline which makes it very difficult if you want to play alone which is better when you want to unlock more cars and bank in cash, on top of that you can not pause the game on single player did the creators think that we don't get phone calls or want to take a 5 min break while playing this game in a race with tons of cash which forces you too lose it if you got to do something important. Really makes you feels like their was no thought in single player and they just want you online. The cops if you are a new to racing games or just haven't play one in a while the cops in here make you want to break your game there is no setting to turn them off, if you just want a joy ride around the game or a street race with just racers this game ruins that and I always have police chasing me while I am doing races time trials and everything else which makes the game feel terrible not that it is hard but it literally makes this game feel terrible. Cop mode is boring I really thought it'd be fun but some how the creators of this game made it terrible all you do is bump into racers which makes it boring. No City in this game makes if feel like a giant suburb, story mode is so boring with terrible voice actors as well as awful cut scenes I did not even realize I was playing story mode until half way threw. OVERALL this game feels like a free to play online tittle, the cars are great, driving is good and racing is good if you don't mind the cops chasing you all the time cop mode is terrible as well as story mode for both cops and racers since this is the only racing game out I still play this and don't mind the cops any more I had this since it came out played about 3 missions and don't car to Finnish it this is truly a 6 out of 10 Expand
  18. Mar 14, 2014
    This is my first review and I made a metacritic account just to do it.

This game is okay if you want to . It's not even worth a $40 price tag though. Graphics The graphics are beautiful, the world is sexy but amidst all of this when i'm coming second i follow the car in front of me but i feel that the graphics are utterly blinding. I can't see short cuts that the other drivers
    This is my first review and I made a metacritic account just to do it.

This game is okay if you want to . It's not even worth a $40 price tag though.

Graphics
    The graphics are beautiful, the world is sexy but amidst all of this when i'm coming second i follow the car in front of me but i feel that the graphics are utterly blinding. I can't see short cuts that the other drivers utilize, i find that i'm constantly crashing into two white dots which a second later leave me viewing a cut scene of my car flipping around the circles.

Map.
    The map is alright. It's large but unvaried. In underground 2 you had the mountains which held tight bends, the highways which tested the top speed of your car and back roads which combined both aspects of tight corners and slick straights.

Cops
    Cops are annoying, they're annoying to the point where I don't even want to try to gamble with my speedpoints, i'll get to 20-50k and bank because i know that even if i do evade i'll be in another pursuit far too easily and they are not easy to get out of. Your best bet it to just find the nearest safe house and bank your points because it's also incredibly easy to crash your car via cops. They're not easy to take out unless you drive specific cars and use specific upgrades as smashing into them damages you alot faster then it damages them, If your car gets too damaged it get totaled and you lose all your speed points and go back to your garage.

Cars.
    This is the killer for me. No customization at all.
    DECALS include. Stripes which look okay if you want all of your cars to look like the skyline off of 2 fast 2 furious. Decals which look hideous except for a few but none of them actually suit the aesthetic of the game. An example being the fact that there are mandarin symbols yet the game comprises of mostly European cars. Skins which are sick, each car has a different skin so they all match but they're really hard to unlock. Lastly you have number plates which for me was a feature they could have left out and instead spent their time developing elsewhere.
    PERFORMANCE mods are pretty basic. Durability, Stength, Control, Speed and Acceleration. Each can be upgraded to a maximum of 5 getting more expensive so it's pretty bland and not what i'm used to, even undercover had more customization.
    PURSUIT MODS. They're cool, they're the only thing that makes this game fun but they make this game a racing game and not the street racing game that i remember it being. It feels like i'm playing some cart title, lets just stick to nitros.
    CARS. There are no Japanese imports in this game. You unlock one every level, you level up by completing objectives. Its pretty much a gamble but they're not expensive but with that said you have no idea what you're buying. Each of the cars handle differently and some are better suited for racing and others for pursuits. my BIGGEST pet peeve is the fact that you start with a really good car to begin with, in previous titles you had to start with just entry level car and you also got to pick.

Gameplay
    I'm only half way through this game and i'm already stuck. The medium races are hard regardless of what car i use and most of it boils down to crashing into other vehicles and cops interfering. The last race i played 2 other racers got totaled and i got busted out of 5. The cops are just too powerful and the other racers never crash and always take shortcuts. If you're going to introduce shortcuts you should ghost them on the map once you go through them so you can see shortcuts you've already used on the minimap. There's also some pretty powerful rubber banding going on. Basically, my only bet at winning races is to use turbo which is a pursuit tech. The chance of meeting a police car in this game during a race is almost guaranteed.
    Progression isn't bad, you only have to achieve a couple of objectives to rank up and you have three paths that you can swap with on the fly so if smashing cop cars is your thing then you can do that all day long.

All in all, this games about a 2/10 for me. It's **** with glitter on top. The customization sucks, the racing is somewhat broken since crashing into oncoming cars that you didn't see coming is the norm and cops which will bust you just by crashing into you and they're too prevalent.
  19. Feb 8, 2014
    Rivals offer what you would expect from a auto game; high end cars chasing each other against the traffic while battling the police. It really is captivating, with a little bit of story on the side. What I found as an upgrade is the seamless integration of the multiplayer mode; if you got the PS+ and the internet connection all your games are against real people in the area, which alwaysRivals offer what you would expect from a auto game; high end cars chasing each other against the traffic while battling the police. It really is captivating, with a little bit of story on the side. What I found as an upgrade is the seamless integration of the multiplayer mode; if you got the PS+ and the internet connection all your games are against real people in the area, which always make things interesting. Expand
  20. May 26, 2014
    The Good
    The Good
    NFSR brings what you've loved about previous Hot Pursuit games and adds a bit more. Being able to play as either the Cops or the Racers and develop each career definitely makes for many hours of fun racing. Monster car makes and models are included in the game. After each mission, you're guaranteed to level up and get a new car. This makes for very fun progression and the feeling to play "just one more" mission. The graphics are absolutely stunning, as to be expected for PS4, though so particle effects are a bit lacking.

The Bad
    Playing as a Cop, you'd expect for your allies to, you know, be helpful. Apparently the developers didn't get the memo. Your Cop buddies will, all too commonly, make your mission harder than if they weren't there. When you're falling behind a suspect, don't be surprised to get rear-rammed by a pursuing Cop. If you're catching up to your suspect, you can be sure the Cops between you and your target will slow down and get in your way. It's very rare to ever see one of your cop allies actually catch up to a suspect, and when they do they usually don't do much but pace or gently sideswipe. On a few occasions, if I'm gaining on my suspect and going particularly fast (200+ MPH), I've had one of my Cop buddies literally spawn in front of me going 50 MPH. If I could make them go away I would.

Events have a Gold, Silver and Bronze completion medals. Exceed all expectations and earn a Gold medal. However, I find 90% of my mission attempts either ending with a Gold medal... or the suspect "escaping." Usually the later -- there doesn't seem to be any in-between. If you get slowed down by pursuit tech, getting rammed by your cop buddies, or (oh, I'll get to it) civilian vehicles, it can be next to impossible to resume the pursuit. Firstly, the game is inconsistent in the way it sets you back on the road after a "wipe out" (hitting something so hard you have to sit through 5-6 seconds of cut scene as your vehicle thrashes about the road, all the while your suspect continues to flee at 200+ MPH). In some modes, you'll be put back on the road heading in the right direction. In other modes, after watching your "crash" cut scene, you're returned control of your vehicle wherever it came to rest (usually facing the wrong direction, or with the nose of you vehicle up against something). When this happens you can pretty much concede to the suspect escaping. Immensely frustrating.

Finally, the game isn't able to single out any particular mission that you're trying to accomplish, even if you're doing an event. In a "Rapid Response" event, you need to get to the finish line as quickly as possible without hitting other vehicles or walls. Sounds easy, right? It wouldn't be so tricky -- if it weren't for that fact that the game in constantly spawning Racers and Cops everywhere -- all the time. I'm flying down the highway at 200 MPH, trying to "respond rapidly" and some racer thinks I want to pull him over, so he starts running away. "Oh, it's okay little Racer," I say, "today is not your day, I'm just going to 7-11." But no, the racer paces me, and rams me and then my Cop buddies show up and start ramming me. I'm just trying to get a Slurpee and a Gold medal, but no -- this has to happen. Once I got faster cars, I opted to start passing by these racers as quickly as I could, so as to not be interrupted by the hooplah -- but this usually results in me getting hit by pursuit tech by them. My ask is that once you start a mission, the game allows you to focus on that mission and not interrupt you with its terrible AI.

The Ugly
    Two factors combined lead to a consistently aggravating game play experience. One is the lack of camera angles to choose from. You get two. In-car and fly-behind. That's it. The fly-behind angle is very low, and gives you an awful view of what's up ahead. In-car is even worse. There's a reason cops and robbers don't actually drive around at near sonic speeds -- because they'd run into something before they got too far. It's one of the main reasons you need a high and tight camera angle to play games like these and have any fun. It gives you enough time to see what's up ahead and react. Having only a single out-of-car camera angle is beyond frustrating. I think back back to Cruisin' USA for N64 and I'm pretty sure that had like 5. Give me a break over here.

The second is the absolute stupidity of civilian vehicles. They're apparently driven by zombies because they make absolutely NO effort to get out of the way of speeding or siren-blaring vehicles. It's awful. And they always seem to pop up and the most inopportune time, such as at the crest of hills or blind turns you're drifting through.

So, with a combination of a low camera angle, giving you poor visibly and cow-like civilian vehicles, you can pretty much expect to crash. And crash. And crash some more. And after you think you're done crashing, you'll crash again.
  21. May 31, 2014
    I've been playing this game for a while now and i don't understand why this game ha been given such high ratings. Its a decent game and yes, the graphics are stunning but it just feels like the game is not finished. The "campaign" is crap there is literally no storyline to it. As far as trophies go there has literally been no thought put in to them. The campaign goes up to level 21 but iI've been playing this game for a while now and i don't understand why this game ha been given such high ratings. Its a decent game and yes, the graphics are stunning but it just feels like the game is not finished. The "campaign" is crap there is literally no storyline to it. As far as trophies go there has literally been no thought put in to them. The campaign goes up to level 21 but i get no trophy for it? I get it for 20 instead? Thats just stupid... most of the trophies are centered around gaining levels. You can get a max level of 60 on each "class" but the campaign finishes at 21. So you have to rinse and repeat the speedlists 39 more times on each class to reach the max level, how boring is that? Yeah you do unlock wraps and stuff if you do certain speedlists a certain number of times but most of them are pants anyway.

The AI is annoying and unfair. You get back up from other cops when on a pursuit but they seem to hinder you more than what they do help. And the whole helicopters dropping countless spike traps is ridiculously unfair and unrealistic.

There seems to be like 30-40 cop cars you can unlock but only about 15 racing cars. Why is that? I want more racing cars than cop cars if not you should get the same on each side. None of this makes any sense, like i said it feels incomplete and like its been rushed at last minute.

The multiplayer is a waste of time, i can loose a cop in 10 seconds with nitro and turbo and i can't catch another players car in a cop car because they are to fast.

I wouldn't recommend buying this game, not at 50 odd pounds anyway, wait until the price comes down its not worth that much. The graphics are next gen but the game itself is not.
  22. Jul 10, 2014
    I don't know what it is but there was a lot left to be desired after playing most wanted. The game just didn't seem complete to me. It didn't seem very big or very complex. Most wanted made you explore separate areas of a big city while rivals seemed very narrow in drive-able areas. Plus it was almost in possible to go cruising because the cops were on you at every moment and the longI don't know what it is but there was a lot left to be desired after playing most wanted. The game just didn't seem complete to me. It didn't seem very big or very complex. Most wanted made you explore separate areas of a big city while rivals seemed very narrow in drive-able areas. Plus it was almost in possible to go cruising because the cops were on you at every moment and the long stretches of single roads made it impossible to escape them sometimes. I was bored of the game after a few weeks and went back to Most Wanted and Forza Horizon. Expand
  23. Jul 19, 2014
    Incredible graphics, really fun races and challenges. But most of the history boring and multiplayer mode is a waste of time. I enjoyed it a lot but I think it could be a lot better.
  24. Oct 26, 2014
    Nothing about NFS Rivals couldn't have been done on current gen hardware. The game offers nothing new to the series and is almost a lovechild between 2010's "Hot Pursuit" and 2012's "Most Wanted", both by Criterion games. When the online features work and everyone in your game session is cooperating, the game offers an E3-demonstration-like experience. However, the game's open world alwaysNothing about NFS Rivals couldn't have been done on current gen hardware. The game offers nothing new to the series and is almost a lovechild between 2010's "Hot Pursuit" and 2012's "Most Wanted", both by Criterion games. When the online features work and everyone in your game session is cooperating, the game offers an E3-demonstration-like experience. However, the game's open world always online structure basically turns the game into a haven for trolls. The small car list, lack of any meaningful customization, required grinding, and overpowered top-tier cars means NFS Rivals is best enjoyed in short bursts and definitely not worth full price. Expand
  25. Nov 23, 2014
    Need for Speed: Rivals is packed with loads of fun, and has incredible driving mechanics. Drifting in Need for Speed could be one of the smoothest experience I have ever had in a driving game. Graphics are beautiful. However, there are still a few flaws. Customization is minimal for what you would expect in a driving game, and rarely will you come across an occurrence to race against aNeed for Speed: Rivals is packed with loads of fun, and has incredible driving mechanics. Drifting in Need for Speed could be one of the smoothest experience I have ever had in a driving game. Graphics are beautiful. However, there are still a few flaws. Customization is minimal for what you would expect in a driving game, and rarely will you come across an occurrence to race against a friend online. All in all, if you a fan of driving games, then this game is worth the $60. Expand
  26. Feb 15, 2015
    This game is enough to make any graphic crazed person erect. But that I all this game has to offer. The dull story and really boring gameplay holds it back. When I first started, I was having fun but after a few hours I started getting bored and forcing my way to the end. To keep me going i had to broadcast so I wouldn't stop playing. That is really bad when someone has to force them self.This game is enough to make any graphic crazed person erect. But that I all this game has to offer. The dull story and really boring gameplay holds it back. When I first started, I was having fun but after a few hours I started getting bored and forcing my way to the end. To keep me going i had to broadcast so I wouldn't stop playing. That is really bad when someone has to force them self. This gives you 2 modes. Racer or cop and both of them gets boring after a few hours. Soon you will see that you are doing the same thing over and over and over and over. The multiplayer gives this a advantage. If your a racer and someone else is a cop. They can take you down and it can cause you to find a rival (as the name says) but adding a multiplayer doesn't make the whole game. So I would recommend this to be a rental. Or if you have it, let a friend borrow it. My rating will stand but need for speed will have to show me that they still have it in there soul. I mean grand theft auto is basically doing racing and so much better. That's a shame to have a name like need for speed and not deliver what fans want. Expand
  27. May 18, 2015
  28. Apr 24, 2015
    Bad on so many points. Of course, you have the feeling of speed with NFS Rivals, but it feels like you're driving a soap.
    Graphics are ok.
    Cops are so annoying, you cannot be in peace for more than 30 seconds, unless you drive at 5 mph.
  29. May 20, 2015
    There's not many options for good arcade racers on the PS4 and this simply continues that trend. The controls is pretty fudgey and lacking any kind of precision, the map is small and not overly exciting at the best of times and finally the police. They're insanely aggressive, so much so that it actually ruins the game. The idea of being chased loses all appeal when five of them appear outThere's not many options for good arcade racers on the PS4 and this simply continues that trend. The controls is pretty fudgey and lacking any kind of precision, the map is small and not overly exciting at the best of times and finally the police. They're insanely aggressive, so much so that it actually ruins the game. The idea of being chased loses all appeal when five of them appear out of no where and demolish your car. It's cheap and you will get annoyed.

I didn't buy this full price and for that I am glad. There is some enjoyment to be had but it is heavily tempered with annoyance and frustration so if you have the patience of a saint and it's heavily discounted then go for it, otherwise avoid.
  30. Jul 13, 2015
    Pros: Beautiful graphics and the game runs really smoothly. Good music/soundtracks.

Cons: Unbelievably cheesy "cutscenes" and story. Whenever you're in a pursuit you are forced to listen to the same bull**** a** soundtrack with the same lines every time. And since you're gonna be chased by the cops for 90% of the game all you will hear is: "Code 3!!!!" "I'm hit!!" over and over for hours, and you won't get to listen to the other good soundtracks.

Also the way you select music is s***. Your only button is to press up which will change to the next song. The radio should've been like the one on GTA V. Different channels and the possibility to to check the name of the current song. Also why isn't there a menu to select which songs should be in the game like there is on a another EA game, UFC.

Do the things above and make it possible to turn off the bull**** cop chase soundtrack so that you can listen to the radio all the time and I will tolerate the cheesy crappy story and give the game a 8/10.

Pretty sad to see a game with so much potential f*** up trivial things, did they even play test it?

1. Feb 13, 2014
    A fast and furious racing game, where cops constantly try to catch the racers. Multiplayer is seamless, but it feels like a single player mode, since you rarely bump (pun intended) into other players. [Jan 2014]
  2. Jan 13, 2014
    Need for Speed: Rivals is nothing if not ridiculously dumb fun, but that just makes its multiplayer failings all the more disappointing.
  3. Jan 13, 2014
    So a very good racing game, rather than a great one.