Outlast PlayStation 4

7.8

1. Feb 4, 2014
    This game is amazing! I have it for both PC and now PS4. Overall this game is probably one of the most spookiest games I've played in awhile! Also if your a PS Plus member it's free! That's the best part, even though I would buy it again if it wasnt. To be honest I first thought this game would be like the rest of the horror genre which is all action now but it isn't..it's a classic!This game is amazing! I have it for both PC and now PS4. Overall this game is probably one of the most spookiest games I've played in awhile! Also if your a PS Plus member it's free! That's the best part, even though I would buy it again if it wasnt. To be honest I first thought this game would be like the rest of the horror genre which is all action now but it isn't..it's a classic! Instead of shooting you actually have to hide which makes the game even scarier! Overall this game is great for people who like horror and challenging games or just for people that want to have some jumpscares and be spooked out! This an amazing game and of you have PS plus don't miss this opportunity! Expand
  2. Feb 9, 2014
    I heard about Outlast on PC and being a console gamer thought I would not get the chance to play it but I am so happy it came to PS4.
    What I wanted from this game was decent story, good graphics and too be scared and I can say Outlast delivers.
    The game has a good atmosphere making you not want to turn the next corner ect. If you play the game properly (lights out,headset on,sound up
    The game has a good atmosphere making you not want to turn the next corner ect.
    If you play the game properly (lights out,headset on,sound up make the effort?) then you will get scared its as simple as that.
    Best horror game I've played in years and it was free on PS+
    If you want to be scared and see lots of gore then put yourself in the shoes of miles upshur and go explore mount massive asylum for yourself you won't be disappointed.
  3. Feb 26, 2014
    It takes a lot to scare me, especially if you are a video game! This is a trait that I have proudly stood by for many years now, most people get freaked out by Resident Evil, Bioshock, Dead Space 2 etc but not me. I kind go oh that’s kind of weird or gross but never actually fear. Well that is all now moot thanks to Red Barrel’s new game Outlast. I strapped on my newly compatible pulseIt takes a lot to scare me, especially if you are a video game! This is a trait that I have proudly stood by for many years now, most people get freaked out by Resident Evil, Bioshock, Dead Space 2 etc but not me. I kind go oh that’s kind of weird or gross but never actually fear. Well that is all now moot thanks to Red Barrel’s new game Outlast. I strapped on my newly compatible pulse wireless headphones and prepared myself for what I can only describe as the scariest and most frightening experience I have ever had on a console.

Set in an abandoned asylum, players assume the character of Miles Upshur, a reported set on investigating some strange reports sent to him about some strange experiments happening there. The game is first person survival horror and is the first game I have played in a while where the character is completely defenceless. That’s right no guns, no shovels, no knife, no nothing. Instead you hide in lockers that seem to make you invisible, under beds and behind locked doors. It sounds ridiculous but when you are actually playing and you can feel the intensity and anticipation of being found it actually is one of the games biggest strengths.

Miles has a video camera with night vision that he uses to record the evidence and the night vision feature is used to navigate through pitch black rooms and to reveal supernatural creatures that cannot be seen with the naked eye. This only adds to the stress of it all and was one of the best features having unknown creatures jump out at the camera screen while navigating a pitch black room. The battery life of the camera also comes into play and you have to find more batteries otherwise you are left to walk around in the dark with no light. Not really something you want to do with clean underwear and a full bladder!

During your journey through Mount Massive Asylum players collect documents that reveal the past of patients that were there and provide some clues as to what has happened there. Also if you record the camera in the right areas you learn about Miles and this in turn earns the all important trophies.

Playing the game as a survival first person you can pretty much only see what is in front of you. You can occasionally peek around the corner, but the movement is pretty stock standard and this adds to that trapped feeling. There were a couple of times when I tried to vault over a desk and epically failed, kind of fumbling over a dead body and it looked like a massive glitch.

Graphically this game is hauntingly beautiful, it really harnesses the power of the PS4 (I know we have been saying this a lot lately it will wear off soon!) the dark and terrifying atmosphere is accentuated by the night vision and the hanging dead, blood drenches bodies look spectacular. Using the Pulse wireless headset shows just how much background creaks and noises are in this game adding to the atmosphere.

There is a lot of blood and gore in this game and it does have an R 18 rating for a reason. Those with weak stomach’s should steer clear, but those who are missing those scary horror survival games will relish in this game, and while the main campaign is a short 6 hours, it is 6 hours well spent. Outlast is horrifically intense and brings the scare factor, play it with headphones if you can for that added scare experience!

Outlast is available from Steam on PC and is available now on PS4 (as a free download for February on PS Plus)

Review by Alaisdair “Arrow” Dewar
  4. Feb 7, 2014
    Scary and mind-stunning. I think I've never seen anything like this in my whole gaming life. Stuff gets real when you play Outlast, that I may say is the game that saved horror games. 10/10, couldn't be better
  5. Feb 13, 2014
    A true survival horror, which stripes away all the normality's we have become accustomed to in horror games lately such as levelling,weapons and upgrades, minus this creating suspense and horror round every corner
  6. Feb 25, 2014
    The game is frustrating, haunting and good in equal measure. It also does a good job of scaring you with people jumping out at you, running across you and grabbing you. It also does feel like you're trapped and 2/3 in you really do want to get out. You really do want the game to end because you just can't take anymore. That's not because it's a bad game it's because it's a frustrating andThe game is frustrating, haunting and good in equal measure. It also does a good job of scaring you with people jumping out at you, running across you and grabbing you. It also does feel like you're trapped and 2/3 in you really do want to get out. You really do want the game to end because you just can't take anymore. That's not because it's a bad game it's because it's a frustrating and haunting game. The games immersion is amplified when played in the dark with headphones on. It's genuinely a scary game and it's genuinely a game you won't forget soon after you've played it and also the ending is good as well.

8/10.
  7. Feb 26, 2014
    I have been waiting for a console game of this quality for the horror genre! This game gets a 10 out of 10 for me. It is a stealth game that had me wanting to find, read, and understand everything. It keeps me going back. It will scare the heck out of the hardened horror movie enthusiast (jump scares). Great game and I will be looking for more from Red Barrels in the future. Great game, very fun.
  8. Mar 10, 2014
    I did jump a few times while playing outlast, the sound is good, and the graphics are better, and the story is solid. The ending leaves you ready to play the dlc. Worth your time!
  9. Apr 8, 2014
    Am I a Puss¥ I didn't think so! Until I played this.
    I lasted a full 16 minutes before my wife told me to harden up or turn it off.
    Screams of terror masked with pleasure.
    I am a horror fanatic, you name it I've seen it or played it.
    This game is terrifying I will try to play this game but in the end I'm afraid for
    My sanity.........

Just for scares 10

Absolutely love it.......
  10. Jul 24, 2014
    Bought outlast on ps store for around £15, i waited until dark and played with the lights off and headphones on, i can tell you this is one of most scary games i have ever played, its one of them games where you literally go around crouching and checking whats behind every door and many times i have jumped out my seat or s**t myself. I am giving this a 8 because i think that the InsaneBought outlast on ps store for around £15, i waited until dark and played with the lights off and headphones on, i can tell you this is one of most scary games i have ever played, its one of them games where you literally go around crouching and checking whats behind every door and many times i have jumped out my seat or s**t myself. I am giving this a 8 because i think that the Insane mode is just too much, i played it to begin with and liked the idea of it somewhat, but i think its just a bit OTT and is designed in a way that would put gamers off, in Insane mode, if you get killed you have to start from the start, just imagine what you would do if you was in the last couple minutes and maybe a bug or a bit of bad luck meant you died (you cant fight in this game, just run and hide) so for that reason i think its a bit over the top and Insane ! - and the second reason is there a really REALLY stupid glitch that ruins the entire game, if your spotted by a enemy instead of running just mash the circle button (which means you stand-crouch again and again) and this actually disables the enemy, im serious - the enemy will not move and chase you, which means you just have to tea bag your way to safety and thats it!!!!!! 8.5/10 Expand
  11. Jan 19, 2015
    Survival horror has been a dying genre of late years. With the success of RE4 most franchises have traded the scares for more action based survival horror and let the settings be enough. Sadly, most of them failed miserably and we now only have one survival action horror game worth playing, The Last of Us.
    However, even The Last of Us is void of any truly horrifying moments. Where's the scary?
    Outlast has come to remind us that games can be very scary if done right.
    In Outlast you play a reporter who just got his big scoop on a mental asylum. You investigate the asylum to discover its horrific secrets and find yourself lurking the corners with your only weapon: a video camera.
    Outlast is suspenseful and eerie. The lighting (played as intended) looks amazing and the attention to detail, like bloody footprints or placing your hands on a wall make the experience feel real and terrifying. Blood and guts, bone and sinew haven't looked this good since... Probably ever. The gameplay is rather linear but still intense throughout. I found myself often turning back down a stairwell or hallway because all of the doors in that area were locked. In those cases you are reminded that you are playing a game, which is always a disappointment.
    Occasionally too, areas can seem like filler (sewer valve section for example) but they are always short and usually still appealing in their own way. Soon again you are awaken by another intense occurrence or unique and surprising inclusion to a video game such as necrophilism.
    The music in Outlast is good. The background sounds create a sense of isolation and foreboding doom as expected and the music played always seem to match your angst. Unfortunately, it seems unfinished in certain areas such as a piano tune played in the distance. Its creepy and frightening yet it seems only 8 measures long before it begins to repeat itself. Thats saddening for such a dark song.
    Outlast seems to only really fall short in its story. Though it isn't a disaster by any means it can go easily unnoticed by the time you reach the climax of the game. Only stopping to read pages and pages of documents will give you any clue of whats really going on at the asylum and doing so really seems to slow the pace and disconnect you for the time being.
    Overall, Outlasts commitment to great scares and permanent anxiety have created a unique experience that is very hard to come by. This is a must own for any survival horror enthusiast.
  12. Nov 16, 2015
    I absolutely love this game. I'm a big survival horror fan and this scratched my itch. I loved the gore and the twisted story. This was the first game in many years that actually got me with their jump scares and kept the tension very high. I loved that their are just a few enemies that reoccur, kept it more realistic to me. Also don't sell yourself short by not buying the DLC Whistleblower.
  13. Feb 7, 2014
    At first I downloaded this, because, let's be honest... there's not much to play on PS4. I didn't expect much, but I was surprised as hell. I got so scared that I had to turn off the game. It's INCREDIBLE! I haven't been scared like this since I played Resident Evil 1 when I was like 7. The graphics are PS4 material. This is by far the best downloadable game on the PS4 right now, andAt first I downloaded this, because, let's be honest... there's not much to play on PS4. I didn't expect much, but I was surprised as hell. I got so scared that I had to turn off the game. It's INCREDIBLE! I haven't been scared like this since I played Resident Evil 1 when I was like 7. The graphics are PS4 material. This is by far the best downloadable game on the PS4 right now, and if you have PS plus it's free, so WHY NOT?! Trust me.. you won't be disappointed. Expand
  14. Feb 6, 2014
    The Best PC to PS4 port since DC Universe Online
    Pros:
    -It's actually scary
    -Stunning Graphics
    -Solid Gameplay
    -It's free with PS+
    Cons:
    -Lackluster Story
    Recommendation: Anyone that has a PS+ subscription
  15. Feb 6, 2014
    Yeeearrgh!! That's not the sound of fear from playing this game but the sound of complete frustration in dying for the sixth time and having to start all the way back to some predetermined checkpoint where I'll have to start sneaking in the shadows for another twenty minutes and hope that I go in the right order of rooms and hallways the next time. Don't get me wrong, the game isYeeearrgh!! That's not the sound of fear from playing this game but the sound of complete frustration in dying for the sixth time and having to start all the way back to some predetermined checkpoint where I'll have to start sneaking in the shadows for another twenty minutes and hope that I go in the right order of rooms and hallways the next time. Don't get me wrong, the game is incredibly scary and consistently tense. It makes Silent Hill look like Luigi's Mansion. It's just that the "save" system seems to be not working. I wonder how this game would be if it did work and I can actually progress at a decent rate. It's a shame that we can't kill our opponents, or at least defend our selves. It takes about four hits before your dead, and with a large number of objects that you need to jump over, your adversary will get all of his four hits on you rather quickly. It's scary as hell, but not fun and too frustrating. Expand
  16. Feb 6, 2014
    Tense, thrilling, and scary...Outlast is a fantastic addition to the Run N Hide formula. You can't fight, and the only weapon you have is your smarts. Gameplay is tense and fittingly terrifying, with scary chase scenes and stealth sections to get your heart pumping. There's an incredibly tedious underlying design, though, always revolving around you going and turning knobs somewhere orTense, thrilling, and scary...Outlast is a fantastic addition to the Run N Hide formula. You can't fight, and the only weapon you have is your smarts. Gameplay is tense and fittingly terrifying, with scary chase scenes and stealth sections to get your heart pumping. There's an incredibly tedious underlying design, though, always revolving around you going and turning knobs somewhere or finding a key, making the game feel a simplistic. The level design, though, is well done and the asylum itself is eery, sickening, and disturbing all at the same time. The story itself is very slow building, but once the final section begins the various notes, documents, and banter from asylum prisoners makes perfect sense. The ending twist is awesome. Lighting and graphics look great, and the camera really adds a great sense of tension and immersion to the game. The soundscape is well mixed, creating a horrifying atmosphere that is still in my brain. A fitting score from Samuel Laflamme keeps the tensions high, and produces a memorable theme for the adventure.

Outlast is a horror classic. It combines everything I love about the genre; good scares, tense moments of fight or flight, and psychological thrills to create a memorable title. And for an indie, it's pretty darn polished too!
  17. Feb 6, 2014
    A 10 because there is rarely this type and it is also well made if not perfect.

Honestly, I feel too pressed so as to only play a bit while once.

Finding friends to play together may be a safe choice.
  18. Feb 5, 2014
    Outlast is a horrifying thrill ride that's only downfall is the attempted implication of a poorly realized story.

You are a reported, self-tasked with taking a trip to Mount Massive Asylum, where a mass outbreak of some kind has taken place, and the promise of big story awaits. Apart from trying to ram something about religious cults, and science experiments gone wrong down your

Apart from trying to ram something about religious cults, and science experiments gone wrong down your throat, that's about as far as the story goes.
    Having said that, the story is hardly why you'll be downloading this on you PS4 with PS Plus this month. You'll be downloading it because this is by far one of the best horror games I have played in years.

While playing through the 4-5 hour story, I was reminded that the last time I was this immersed in such a terrifying atmosphere was probably back in 2006 with Condemned: Criminal Origins on the Xbox 360. In Condemned, despite being able to fend off your foes with a bit of pipe or a piece of 2x4, you still felt incredibly vulnerable.
    That feeling is multiplied in Outlast, as there are no weapons, and the ability to defend yourself has been removed. If an enemy sees you, your only option is to run. Even if you find somewhere to hide, perhaps a locker or under a bed, you are never truly safe. If an enemy was too close to you when you entered the hiding spot, they have have seen or heard you. If there is only the one bed in the room, they know exactly where to look.
    It's these moments that make Outlast so special. Yes, the scripted jump scares are there, and because they are few and far between, they always pack a big shock value. But it's when you are free to roam the seemingly endless hallways of a ward in the Mount Massive Asylum, where the footsteps of an inmate echo throughout that the true sense of terror sets in.

The game mechanics are, in one word, solid. This is a good example of how a PC game can successfully be ported to a console. You always have access to the commands you need via the bumpers and triggers, and by pushing or clicking the analog sticks. The touch pad has been used in order to zoom in or out with the camcorder, however, I found just as easy to use up or down on the D-Pad.

Overall, Outlast is a welcome addition to the PS4 library in a time where the system is lacking in games. And seeing as it's free, you'd be stupid not to download it and try it just once.

A 9 out of 10.

Jack Valentine
  19. Feb 5, 2014
    Good, genuine scares. Just turn off the lights, get a couple of friends around to be scared with you, and you will have an absolute blast with this game. Don't expect not to die!
  20. Feb 5, 2014
    Very good very scary.. Amazing sense of vulnerabilty as you have no weapons.. And its free on ps + cant argue with that. Also has a brilliant atmosphere and the sound effects pull you in. This is one horror house you should take a ride in
  21. Mar 12, 2014
    I didn't find this one scary, putting the music louder isn't scary for me... Silent Hill 1-3 is much scarier than this... I can't really see the appeal on this game.
  22. Feb 11, 2014
    Fantastic game. It brings back the long lost feeling of helplessness that the modern shooter / horror genre has lost. Haven't felt this immersed in a horror since the dawn of Dead Space 1 or Resident Evil 1-3
  23. Feb 11, 2014
    Awsome game, alot scary, its really good, except for the end part thats don't keep up with the rest of the game, dropping the tension from the beginning of game!!
  24. Feb 14, 2014
    Outlast is terrifying!!! No it really is. I've played a fair few horror games since I started gaming in the 80's (the first been Nightbreed on Amiga) and only a few compare to the scares in Outlast. The reason I find it so scary is because you have no weapons at all. Usually a beast jumps out in a game; you get a little scare, aim up and blow its head off with a shotgun. In Outlast yourOutlast is terrifying!!! No it really is. I've played a fair few horror games since I started gaming in the 80's (the first been Nightbreed on Amiga) and only a few compare to the scares in Outlast. The reason I find it so scary is because you have no weapons at all. Usually a beast jumps out in a game; you get a little scare, aim up and blow its head off with a shotgun. In Outlast your heart rate is constantly up as you creep through the dark corridors in Mount Massive Asylum using your video camera to record and document events or using the night vision when there is no other light source. When you do stumble across one of the many deformed and horrific inmates the only options are to run or hide. This creates such tension that often your frantic actions will lead to death.

I often found myself doing stupid things or just hiding in a corner awaiting death as terror took over, I almost wanted death so the game would end and I could return to my peaceful life and relaxing front room. This is a rarity in most horror games today.

You really feel like you are in the game. The graphics are good and the lighting effects work well. The setting is eerie and at times disturbing. The plot is strong and the controls work well. This is survival horror in its rawest form. Run, hide, explore, find batteries, escape!

The game kind of reminds me of the indie hit SCP-Contamination breach. This is due to the emphasis been on survival and wits rather than run and gun. Outlast is a game best enjoyed on your own with the lights out (although I was too scared to play on my own and needed my brother to come round and play it with me). But try it on your own and believe me you will be scared!

The game is currently free on PSN (another great reason to invest in a PS4 who clearly love supporting indie games and alternative titles rather than your average AAA rubbish). For free, this is a good bit of disturbing fun. The 4-5 hour play time is just perfect for this type of game; any longer I would have likely had a heart attack. So if you love horror games, give it a try. You won’t be disappointed.
  25. Feb 5, 2014
    I've been playing this game and I really think is fun, scary and interesting. I think is different from other horror survival games I've played, and is a nice treat for PS Network subscribers.
  26. Feb 6, 2014
    Fresh new idea (sort of). Zero fighting, all running and hiding. It does an amazing job of being "spooky", however I can not agree with a high score on scare factor alone. If you are not into "horror", this game will bore you. Was it worth some playtime on the PS4 because it was free? Yes, but I personally would not spend any money on this game. I don't play video games to live outFresh new idea (sort of). Zero fighting, all running and hiding. It does an amazing job of being "spooky", however I can not agree with a high score on scare factor alone. If you are not into "horror", this game will bore you. Was it worth some playtime on the PS4 because it was free? Yes, but I personally would not spend any money on this game. I don't play video games to live out the story of a sissy only armed with a video camera and the ability to run/hide. Expand
  27. Feb 9, 2014
    Some of the lighting effects and sounds are pretty well done. Graphically the textures on walls and the filters look pretty good on the ps4. The "monster" designs look less furbished.

The real issue is the gameplay. What would perhaps be terrifying to a person who rarely plays games serves little spook to someone who does. What would be scary comes off more frustrating and inconvenient than spooky. Sequences are predictable from surveying rooms prior to activating a flag. Knowing a monster can't find you but won't leave would draw tension to someone who doesn't have a grasp for mechanics but to any familiar player feels more like a loading screen before they can move again. The limited battery life leads you to conserve in safe areas and bumble into furniture for longer than you'd care to while saving battery for the times where it'll actually be needed rather than convenient.

Games free for ps+. If it wasn't I'd strongly recommend against it. If you have plus than it comes down to how much you feel your time is worth.
  28. Feb 10, 2014
    I really love this game! It was very different, a game one of its own. I got it free as a PlayStation plus member and will gladly pay for it! But as the way the game is built it is not really a game you can play over and over because the "monsters" walk the same path and the scary parts is on the same places but other then that a great game!
  29. Nov 16, 2014
    Free at the time I got it, I am not a huge fan of really scary games and this game is one of those. Boy, was I taking each corner slowly, jumped at each noise, and used up all camera batteries. An amazing game that will probably play a few more times. The story is semi simple, you will meet crazy enemies, and explore the inside, outside, and under an asylum. Maybe a 6-10 hour game, butFree at the time I got it, I am not a huge fan of really scary games and this game is one of those. Boy, was I taking each corner slowly, jumped at each noise, and used up all camera batteries. An amazing game that will probably play a few more times. The story is semi simple, you will meet crazy enemies, and explore the inside, outside, and under an asylum. Maybe a 6-10 hour game, but I surely recommend this game to all Horror genre fan!

-Game_Row
  30. Feb 5, 2014
    The 3 people who gave this game poor reviews are probably butt sore xBONERS who finally realized they chose a **** console thats $100 more than the ps4 with the same capabilities as the ps3, but $400 more than the ps3. I guess i'd be feeling pretty stupid too if i bought the xBONE.This game is amazing and since its free for ps+ subscribers its all the better. I literally see no reason forThe 3 people who gave this game poor reviews are probably butt sore xBONERS who finally realized they chose a **** console thats $100 more than the ps4 with the same capabilities as the ps3, but $400 more than the ps3. I guess i'd be feeling pretty stupid too if i bought the xBONE.This game is amazing and since its free for ps+ subscribers its all the better. I literally see no reason for this game to get poor reviews or mixed reviews for that matter. This game has that paranormal activity feel to it who doesnt like that Expand
  31. Mar 10, 2014
    Boring boring boring. Cannot describe how much this game angers me. It isn't scary, it is just incredibly loud when the music kicks in. A bit like how adverts between TV programmes are always slightly higher in volume well this game takes that to the extreme.

I would have turned the music down a tad but guess what you cannot adjust the music. Completely overrated game I wouldn't wish on anyone.

"ah a FPS with no weapons, must vote it great" really no just don't it is awful. Save your bandwidth.
  32. Mar 4, 2014
    Didn't like the game. It is pretty scary here and there I have to admit, but that's not enough. I expected much more from it both gameplay-wise and story-wise.
  33. Feb 16, 2014
    Where do I begin on this game? I'll begin by saying I'm not one to scare easily so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy this game like others would. Nonetheless, Outlast does have it moments but the repititive gameplay makes your realize it's not neccesarily that this game is scary, it's just you can't do **** and spend 80% of the game playing tag and hide and seek, other 20% of the game isWhere do I begin on this game? I'll begin by saying I'm not one to scare easily so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy this game like others would. Nonetheless, Outlast does have it moments but the repititive gameplay makes your realize it's not neccesarily that this game is scary, it's just you can't do **** and spend 80% of the game playing tag and hide and seek, other 20% of the game is looking for keys or ways to advance the game or whatnot. Speaking of gameplay..what gameplay? In this age of gaming with cinematic gameplay, and games like heavy rain, beyond two souls, and even telltale's walking dead, outlast has no character development and a confusing mess of a story for an lack of gameplay to keep me interested. Scavenging for documents are unrewarding, I barely understood one document I was reading. I could see how others enjoyed this game, especially if you grasped the concept of the gameplay and story; but for me its a BOOOOO!!!...hehe see what i did there? Expand
  34. crs
    Feb 5, 2014
    Annoying as hell and am glad I didnt pay for it.

Difficulty way too hard.

Level design very poor

Developer who forgets games should be fun and not ridiculously hard.

If you like dying and repeating the same section over and over you will love it.

If you want a fun game which doesnt make you want to smash your controller this isnt for you.
  35. Apr 29, 2014
    ===========
    ===========
    It's good but it could be better. I mean come on developers: asylums aren't as scary as a haunted castle! It's worth a shot for a few scares if you have nothing better to do like for instance play a better game whose name is the term used by doctors for forgetfulness.
  36. Sep 2, 2014
    So, I finally got around to playing through Outlast over the long weekend. I initially started it up when it debuted as a free title in the PS Plus Instant Game Collection but it did not grab me. I wanted to give it a good try before deleting it from my hard drive.

I'm not a huge fan of horror genre games primarily because they have all seemed gimmicky to me. This one is no exception. The "scares" are all based around a typically low volume and then exploding through your speakers or, in my case, headphones.

The mechanic of using the "night vision" mode of the video camera for well over half the time was pretty tedious and made me want to gouge out my eyes. Add in the typical pattern of finding what you need, then running around hiding from the stalking monsters, wash, rinse, repeat. It quickly became very boring.

I forced myself to finish the game even though it really seemed to go "off the rails" near the end. Honestly, the last section felt like a totally different game and a bit like Half-Life in story, though a feeble imitation.

I did experience one game stopping glitch that required a reset of the game, though my progress was not corrupted.

In summary, it was a bit of a slog to push through and I have zero desire to try and run through the game for the remaining trophies as it seemed more like work than fun.
  37. Feb 26, 2014
    Outlast is a huge steal on PS+ that shouldn't be passed up. Outlast isn't ground breaking in graphics or game-play, but it does bring back horror and atmosphere. That's why Outlast is such a thrilling experience. The mood is so set, that you can't help but get sucked in from the very first chapter. Graphics are good and everything runs at an impressive rate. The best thing though is theOutlast is a huge steal on PS+ that shouldn't be passed up. Outlast isn't ground breaking in graphics or game-play, but it does bring back horror and atmosphere. That's why Outlast is such a thrilling experience. The mood is so set, that you can't help but get sucked in from the very first chapter. Graphics are good and everything runs at an impressive rate. The best thing though is the controls, they are very simple and once you get everything down right, it's like your there. I fully applaud Outlast for creating a fully immerse world filled with atmosphere and scares. Expand
  38. Jan 13, 2015
    Outlast is a game that has had people jumping out of their seat since 2013 so, I thought I'd jump on the Outlast horror ban wagon, and I didn't find it all that scary. But enough about my experiences with the game. Let's talk about the game as a whole. Pros: Despite the fact Outlast didn't really scare me until the last few hours the atmosphere was excellent throughout the entire journey.Outlast is a game that has had people jumping out of their seat since 2013 so, I thought I'd jump on the Outlast horror ban wagon, and I didn't find it all that scary. But enough about my experiences with the game. Let's talk about the game as a whole. Pros: Despite the fact Outlast didn't really scare me until the last few hours the atmosphere was excellent throughout the entire journey. The graphics for the most part look nice with the exception some of the character models. The idea of looking for batteries for your camera is done vary well and makes for some of the scariest moments of the game. Hiding from enemies is really scary (even though I didn't fine the game as scary as I thought it would be). Cons: The game can be beaten within 6 hours. The character models might look cool at first but, If you look closely at them, you can see the characters have weird faces. Also penises -_-.

Outlast gets a 7.3/10.
  39. Feb 11, 2014
    Outlast is the best Horror game I've played in MANY years. Quite literally horrifying in every sense of the word! It would of been 10 except for the fact it gets quite samey. Turn on X amount of valves to turn on the power and get out, etc. It got a little repetitive. Except for that, a game which does exactly what it says it will. Scare the living Jesus out of you.
  40. Aug 2, 2014
    Outlast is a terrifying game to play on Playstation 4. Although the gameplay is somewhat repetitive, it truly is a horrific experience that I would definitely recommend.
  41. Mar 14, 2014
    This game on PS4 is more beautiful than ultra in PC, and play with a joystick leave the gameplay much better. and the game really is scary, i recommend for everyone.
  42. Mar 3, 2014
    I love this game. The PS4 does not have many games out, but they are starting to pick up, and this game is a must play. Creepy, weird, awesome, unique, etc all describe it.

Pros:
    Graphics
    scary
    visual
    development
    Well developed
    free

PS plus owners must play this

One of the first scary games I have played in a long time.
  43. Feb 13, 2014
    This game is a very frightening experience but an enjoyable one. I love everything about this game except two things. First, some of the scares get repetitive, second the ending of the game is a terrible appointment.
  44. Mar 21, 2014
    Best game out there on the PS4 in my opinion, at least while we all wait for "that game that's going to blow our minds"!

Based on the fact the game is free, it should get a 10 by default but in the intrest of fair play, and the fact that i wanted to review the game in its own right and not just the fact that its free I have given it an 8. Graphics: 8 genuinely realistic, especially

Graphics: 8 genuinely realistic, especially in night vision mode.

Sound/ atmosphere: 9 doesn't matter how big and brave you are, this game WILL give you the fright in many places.

Story: 7 The characters are interesting but it does not really go into any detail with any of them. The story isn't incredible but there is enough about it that will make you want to play until the end to see what happens.

Replay Value: 6.5 You cant really do anything differently enough to make a big impact 2nd or 3rd time round.

Over all: Solid 8. The game is out to scare you, and it will. Graphics, sound, location, all of these things are well thought of and well delivered. Just a shame the characters who all seem very interesting do not play a bigger role than being obstacles to overcome.
  45. Mar 24, 2014
    Boring. I played it on PS4 and I was completely disappointed. I'll have to wait and try other games, then I'll try with this again and I'll change my review if necessary.
  46. Dec 9, 2014
    Outlast is very scary....... for the first hour. I found the first hour of this game very freaky but after that I found it not to be very freaky at all but I still enjoyed my time with the game after the first hour. It's not a very long game but for the few hours you are playing for you are guarantied to **** bricks at least twice.

Verdict: It's a good game to play at Halloween, with

Verdict:
    It's a good game to play at Halloween, with the lights dimmed down.
  47. Feb 9, 2014
    I don't have a choice but to give this PSN title a Perfect score. Never has a game able to scare you with such clever combination of game mechanic, sound and visual design. Not jaw dropping but a heart pumping ride you could never forgot.

It nothing like a plain "scary" movie/game, the crazy characters you cross paths whispers to you bits and pieces information about the plot bringing an another level of immersion you could have never imagine. Such clever writing that merged so sublimely with gameplay is one ought to be applaud.
  48. Apr 14, 2014
    Fan of the horror genre, and I must say this game is fantastic. It keeps the menacing atmosphere alive throughout the game and there is not a single instance where you dont feel unnerved. Gorgeous graphics. Interesting, although generic... well executed story. This has to be one of my best games ever. Poor character designs loses a few scares though.... but that is the only negativeFan of the horror genre, and I must say this game is fantastic. It keeps the menacing atmosphere alive throughout the game and there is not a single instance where you dont feel unnerved. Gorgeous graphics. Interesting, although generic... well executed story. This has to be one of my best games ever. Poor character designs loses a few scares though.... but that is the only negative really. And besides the fact that that it is marketed as a short bite sized game, I think it is fairly fully fledged and able to pull through for a relatively perfect length of time. Expand
  49. Dec 19, 2016
    Unlike many modern day ‘survival horrors’, Resident Evil 6 being the worst culprit, the creators of Outlast understand that to make a game scary your character has to be vulnerable and not armed to the teeth with weapons or powers. The result is a game that is genuinely creepy and at times downright terrifying. It has its flaws, the most glaring being the fact that you can’t simply moveUnlike many modern day ‘survival horrors’, Resident Evil 6 being the worst culprit, the creators of Outlast understand that to make a game scary your character has to be vulnerable and not armed to the teeth with weapons or powers. The result is a game that is genuinely creepy and at times downright terrifying. It has its flaws, the most glaring being the fact that you can’t simply move small pieces of furniture out of the way, but anyone that enjoys this genre will find plenty to like (if that’s the right word!) here. Expand
  50. May 30, 2014
    It does start off a lot stronger then it finishes, but it's still very good overall. Yes, it's linear. Yes, it relies on a lot of jump scares. But that in no way hurts the overall experience. It's how horror games should be. You have a sense of helplessness, and feel desperation. That's what makes a game scary, where your options are limited.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot.
  51. Mar 18, 2014
    While it hits the right notes on the "disturbing" scale sometimes, it devolves into trial and error more often than I'm comfortable with. Some enemies kill you in one hit, and with no Dodge mechanic that means when you get stuck on a wall (which happens all the time due to your field of view being so tiny) you are grabbed and have to watch the same death cutscene over and over again. It'sWhile it hits the right notes on the "disturbing" scale sometimes, it devolves into trial and error more often than I'm comfortable with. Some enemies kill you in one hit, and with no Dodge mechanic that means when you get stuck on a wall (which happens all the time due to your field of view being so tiny) you are grabbed and have to watch the same death cutscene over and over again. It's not that the game is hard, it's an artificial difficulty to extend the playtime. After seeing the same animations 5 times it is no longer shocking or scary. This game is at its best in noncombat scenarios when you are moving the plot forward, and at its worst when you are participating in the "exciting" game play parts. Simply stated: you will have much better scares and gameplay mechanics in amnesia the dark descent, a much better story in amnesia a machine for pigs, and much better gore in dead space 2. If you can get it for 5 dollars you can say it was money well spent but otherwise there's not much to praise here. Expand
  52. Jun 10, 2014
    I played this game and it scared the living **** out of me (multiple times). This game was simply FCUCKING amazing! My dad even watched me play because he loved watching me jump and get startled. It was simply amazing. It seems like they took a risk and made a simple, beautiful, scary game and it really paid off.
  53. Apr 4, 2015
    As a huge fan of horror games, I have to say this is probably the scariest game I've ever played. The game goes beyond jump scares (but they still work really good) and creates an atmosphere that is unnerving and freaky. The game is actually quite challenging as well, with some of the puzzles and enemies being quite difficult. I often get my friends to play this game, just to see theirAs a huge fan of horror games, I have to say this is probably the scariest game I've ever played. The game goes beyond jump scares (but they still work really good) and creates an atmosphere that is unnerving and freaky. The game is actually quite challenging as well, with some of the puzzles and enemies being quite difficult. I often get my friends to play this game, just to see their horrified reactions. Thus far only one of my friends have been able to beat it, and most needed to take 5 minute breathers between each scare.

The game looks great and the areas are fresh and keep you moving deeper into a world that becomes more and frightening. You'll start on creepy library floors with dismembered heads, but descend into sewers, jail cells, creepy outdoor areas and claustrophobic corridors. I bought the DLC for this game as well and it was really great. Not as good as the original game, but I feel like it was more disgusting and had an interesting angle/story. If you love horror games, survival games, challenging games, or just want to **** your pants, this game is for you.
  54. Mar 21, 2014
    This is a great horror game. This is real horror. You want scary like the first Dead Space scary? Well here you go...This was a great title on the PS4 and it has a lot of potential for an initial franchise that could be linked to other story lines, I'd play the hell out of all those games. If you have a PS4 and you enjoy horror games, you owe it to yourself to give this game a shot.
  55. Mar 2, 2014
    This game is awesome. This is one of the best run and hide, survival horror games I have every played. The game actually jump scared me a couple of times. The visuals are outstanding and mixed with great sound. Now the story could have been told a little better but that would be nit picking.
  56. Mar 7, 2014
    Outlast is an eerie and terrifying adventure. The gameplay really immerses you into this Asylum and makes you strive to get out as soon as possible. The only complaints I have is that the AI doesn't feel that finished at some points, the movements feel a little stiff and uneven at times, but that doesn't detract the terror this game provides. The game also really drags out in the final actOutlast is an eerie and terrifying adventure. The gameplay really immerses you into this Asylum and makes you strive to get out as soon as possible. The only complaints I have is that the AI doesn't feel that finished at some points, the movements feel a little stiff and uneven at times, but that doesn't detract the terror this game provides. The game also really drags out in the final act and just doesn't seem to end, and your reward is a really crappy ending. Still, Outlast is one of the best horror games in recent memory, and if your a horror fan, your really missing out. Expand
  57. Feb 24, 2015
    Being a fan of the horror genre I was pretty excited to jump into this game. It started off on all the right foots (feet?) with the decent graphics, the foreboding atmosphere when you wheel up to the asylum, tight enough and intuitive controls, etc. All of that is retained throughout the game I am happy to say, along with some camera battery management which is effectively your onlyBeing a fan of the horror genre I was pretty excited to jump into this game. It started off on all the right foots (feet?) with the decent graphics, the foreboding atmosphere when you wheel up to the asylum, tight enough and intuitive controls, etc. All of that is retained throughout the game I am happy to say, along with some camera battery management which is effectively your only "weapon" for survival, but a few other things drag it down from what may have been a 9 score. First off, the guy you play never seems to really be scared. In fact, the pedal is put to the metal with his cheesy douche talk. You see, as he progresses he writes stuff in his journal (he's doing some investigative reporting) detailing the things he's come across, most of which would scared the f*cking Bejesus out of just about any living human being on the planet not in some kind of vegetative state or perhaps blind, deaf and hard of smell. He's chased by large, beastly dudes, buff naked twins, a torture doctor taken straight out of a Rob Zombie film and even some supernatural **** That doctor dude even cuts a few of his fingers off. All pretty good stuff game-wise. However, this cat just trudges through it all like it's not too big a deal, writing smart-ass remarks in his notebook. He may as well be writing about a NFL playoff game or the morning traffic, because you wouldn't know by the tone of it. It really took me out of the moment every single time I read an entry. The documents you find thankfully aren't bad and give you clues to the story. Other than that, the only real gripes I have are that after you figure out the flow of the game you can just kinda trial and error your way through just running and not hiding as all the scenarios are almost exactly the same set-up. Get to an area, sneak around to turn on valves and escape to the next section with someone chasing you. The game length is fairly short, which is good, because that nagging repetition starts creeping in as you progress. Overall, I was legitimately creeped out many times and felt a high amount of tension throughout most of the game. I can't guarantee you'll like it or be scared obviously, but for like $3 or whatever it is you'd be some kind of a jack-ass not to give 'er a spin. Expand
  58. May 9, 2014
    On par with the PC version. This actually felt a little better on the second walkthrough as I felt it quite frustrating on my first. This is a good game that just falls in the trap of repetition. It needed much more gameplay elements, although everything that's in there is well polished. Even though I understood the patterns of the enemies and the way the AI works, even if I knew where theOn par with the PC version. This actually felt a little better on the second walkthrough as I felt it quite frustrating on my first. This is a good game that just falls in the trap of repetition. It needed much more gameplay elements, although everything that's in there is well polished. Even though I understood the patterns of the enemies and the way the AI works, even if I knew where the jumpscare spots were, I did enjoy it even on a second run.

Well polished game, need more variety on everything. Oh, a better story would be nice. Tha nazi stuff and the stuff in the last chapter break the immersion. More psychological things. Sick stuff in an asylum. That's the thing.
  59. Jul 15, 2014
    Outlast is without a doubt one of the, if not the most suspenseful game I have ever played! So much so that I couldn't bring myself to play for more than 45 minutes or an hour at a time because It cause me so much stress! Am I gonna make it through this area alive? Do I have enough batteries to make it to where I need to go? Did the hellish creature like man in chase see me go under thisOutlast is without a doubt one of the, if not the most suspenseful game I have ever played! So much so that I couldn't bring myself to play for more than 45 minutes or an hour at a time because It cause me so much stress! Am I gonna make it through this area alive? Do I have enough batteries to make it to where I need to go? Did the hellish creature like man in chase see me go under this bed? How is this all going to end for me? These are questions that were constantly running through my head during my time with Outlast and I can definitely say It was one dark and crazy ride but without a doubt one worth taking! Expand
  60. May 27, 2014
    Things dont scare me, period. I grew up around my mom who watched every single scary movie that exists and ive played most scary games, and just found them to be awesome in everyway(still not scary). Outlast scared the **** out of me. I couldnt play this game without my buddy chatting with me over the ps4. I was so scared at times, that i noticed my legs were stiff cause of the pure terrorThings dont scare me, period. I grew up around my mom who watched every single scary movie that exists and ive played most scary games, and just found them to be awesome in everyway(still not scary). Outlast scared the **** out of me. I couldnt play this game without my buddy chatting with me over the ps4. I was so scared at times, that i noticed my legs were stiff cause of the pure terror i had for what was around the corner. The game is short, like 2 hours, but will be long depending on how fast you run through it. If your like me, it will take 3+ hours to beat because of how slow i was going due to how scared i was lmao. Play this game and i promise you(unless your a liar) you will jump, be scared, and have your heart beating throughout your experience with this game Expand
  61. Feb 21, 2014
    A Genuinely terrifying experience, the Jump scares will remind you who's in control, and the dark corridors and courtyards will have you sleeping with a light on, but its chases that will scare you to your core, OUTLAST makes great use of atmosphere, mechanics and emotion and creates moments where you'll be running on the spot to help your character escape.

my only negative (if it can

my only negative (if it can be called one) is the Finale, instead of continuing with the terror the game works so hard to create, it is traded in for a more action focused ending, the ending is still above boiler plate, but a darker ending would have been more enjoyable.

my rule for OUTLAST is, play with the lights on...
  62. Aug 7, 2014
    I wanted to check the game out, but now I regret that decision, and you know why. It's a typical horror story, you go to a creepy hospital looking for some answers, but the only thing I found during the game was **** in my pants. This game is an amazing horror game, I heard so much about it I wanted to get it for my PlayStation 4, and the journey was epic and violent, but most importantlyI wanted to check the game out, but now I regret that decision, and you know why. It's a typical horror story, you go to a creepy hospital looking for some answers, but the only thing I found during the game was **** in my pants. This game is an amazing horror game, I heard so much about it I wanted to get it for my PlayStation 4, and the journey was epic and violent, but most importantly it was amazing.
    We all know that aside from Booker in BioShock Infinite, first person characters don't talk, and the same with this game, but the breathing, it creates so much tension that sometimes you just wanna die to end the torture. A great game, try it out, you are going to regret it.
  63. Jul 14, 2014
    So many modern day games try to be innovative or different to stand out and make a name for themselves. So much so, even the horror genre has fallen into that trend. Outlast is that type of game that proves it doesn't need to be innovative to make itself memorable. Instead, it accomplishes this by simply turning up the horror and gore to levels very few games strive for.

Outlast starts

Outlast starts off simple. You are Miles Upshur, an investigative reporter who received an anonymous tip from someone known as the Whistleblower, stating that the questionable practices at Mount Massive Asylum need to exposed. Miles takes it upon himself to infiltrate the asylum, armed only with a camera to record his findings. By the time Miles realizes what kind of danger he's gotten himself into, it's too late to turn back the way he came, and you must find a new way out of the Asylum, while the inhabitants of the madhouse hinder your progress and try to end your life.

The overall horror factor in Outlast is superb. Mount Massive Asylum is the perfect environment for a horror game, and the atmosphere in this game is thick. Outlast's true strength in terms of horror is that it never gets predictable. Throughout the game, you'll run into many type of jumpscares, but what ultimately impresses me is that these scares are rarely repeated. Plenty of the jumpscares you experience only happen once. For example, one enemy who appears asleep will attack you when you get near him, and you'll jump. However, this scare is never repeated. This happens throughout the game, with most of the scares only occurring once. This overall lack of any repetition stops the game from becoming generic.

What also helps with the horror is, of course, the patients in the Asylum. Many of the typical patients are docile, and will ignore you, or leave you alone once they know you're there. However, that doesn't mean there aren't a few who will attack you when you get near them. Leaving you without the knowledge of who is a threat keeps the feeling of uneasiness constant. You'll never truly feel safe in Mount Massive Asylum, considering you'll never know what's next.

Mount Massive may contain random patients, but that doesn't mean there aren't a few select enemies gunning for your hide. Such enemies include the naked twins, an insane doctor, a paranormal like entity, and most importantly, a disfigured giant named Walker, who has a thing for beheading his victims with his bare hands.

Outlast's gameplay is simple, but fun. Armed with only a camera, you can't fight back against any of your enemies in any effective way. Your only options are to run, hide, or die, which the game makes clear from the very beginning. This is what fills the game with suspense. In games like Dead Space, the horror was offset with the knowledge that you could kill your enemies when you found them. It's not the same case in Outlast, so you'll never feel comfortable when an enemy is trying to find you.

The only "weapon" you have is your camera, which allows you to see in the dark using the night vision feature. This mechanic allows you to see what your enemies can't, meaning there will be many stealth segments where an enemy is trying to find you in the dark while you sneak around him. This is the part where the gameplay has it's problems. Sneaking around your enemies is fun, but running or walking creates noise, so obviously, crouching minimizes the noise you make. However, the pace at which you move while crouched is painfully slow. This arguably creates tension, but if that was the point, it was a cheap way to do so. The flaw with hiding is that it severely limits what you can see, so listening is key. However, Walker is the only enemy in the game with clear sound cues. His rattling chains and heavy breathing easily help you identify how far he is. The same can't be said for every other enemy that you encounter, so it's not uncommon to leave your hiding spot convinced that your foe is gone, only to find out he's still in the room.

The overall gameplay is very simple and linear, with the only deviations from the linearity taking the form of finding documents and finding batteries that power your camera's night vision, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

The graphics aren't the best on the PS4, considering this game was made when the last generation was considered top of the line. However, Outlast still looks great and is rich with detail and creepy environments. As for the sound, voice acting is well done in every case, sound design is great, and the music is perfect for the tone of the game.

Outlast is one of those games that comes along and easily surpasses many that have come before it. The horror easily surpasses games like Resident Evil and Slender, and even rivals the horror of Dead Space and Amnesia. If you love survival horror, you owe it to yourself to play Outlast, because despite it's problems, it still remains a terrifying experience you'll remember for a while.
  64. Aug 7, 2014
    This is one of the best survival horror games I have ever played! It's set in a mental asylum that's riddled with mental patients, some are harmless some are...harmful. It's a linear game with set paths and simple puzzles to solve and enemies to evade. Evasion is the most prominent feature in the game, with no weapons what so ever. It's a amazing game with truly good textures, controls,This is one of the best survival horror games I have ever played! It's set in a mental asylum that's riddled with mental patients, some are harmless some are...harmful. It's a linear game with set paths and simple puzzles to solve and enemies to evade. Evasion is the most prominent feature in the game, with no weapons what so ever. It's a amazing game with truly good textures, controls, and suspense and fear. Expand
  65. Mar 26, 2014
    I wouldn't get myself suprised if you just pooped in your shorts while playing that game. Man, it's going to scary you a lot if you do this: play it at night, alone and the light off. Holy **** damn good game!
  66. May 12, 2014
    For someone who doesn't scare easy, this game had me needing a new pair of undies every time I played. With the lights off and headphones on, this is the scariest thing you can do with a TV.
    The game's not perfect but gets extra points for the above, and the fact it was free on PS+
  67. Apr 19, 2014
    Love this Game. It is really scary and one of the best Horror Games ever. I was really careful when I played the game, because behind every corner, one of these monsters could stand there. This is real Horror, this is not a game for weak humans. The idea with the Video Camera is also great. When your batteries are getting empty, the Horror-trip starts.

Graphic: The Graphic is also very

Graphic: The Graphic is also very good. It looks great and on my PS4, I didn't saw bugs or glitches.

Story: The story is also really good. Only the end is not so good but the rest: Awesome

Rate: 9 of 10
  68. Feb 4, 2016
    Outlast is absolutely horrific. I haven't played a horror survival game for years and i rarely get scared about anything but Outlast terrifies me in parts! (night time, lights off, curtains drawn) for the full effect :)

The game is quite niche in the fact that you can't actually do much with your character in terms of control. Things like.........fighting back!? You can't do any of that you just have to run and hide which makes things a little more interesting!

Graphics in my opinion aren't the best, not PS4 grade anyway but not too bad. The characters are relevant to the story, complete lunatics! Game-play controls are surprisingly fluid for what seems to be a 'budget' type game.

If you don't put the time in this game will start to frustrate you as it is quite difficult. Mainly due to the fact that as above, you can't fight so if your caught your basically screwed if you cant get away quick and hide. Stealth is definitely the name of the game here.

For me the game reeks of low budget and niche with bog standard graphics which is why my score isn't higher.

Personally if i paid money for it, id be slightly disappointed but seen as I got it free with PSP its a good free game to play once then refuse to play again after being freaked out :)

5/10.
  69. Feb 18, 2014
    I was terrified from the first moments of driving up to the creepy asylum. Brilliantly scary! The first two nights I played it I had to turn it off after about ten minutes, only on the third night I played it for two hours and it got better as it went on. The game is really effective at giving you a feeling of being alone and helpless. Its also addictive as you want to keep playing toI was terrified from the first moments of driving up to the creepy asylum. Brilliantly scary! The first two nights I played it I had to turn it off after about ten minutes, only on the third night I played it for two hours and it got better as it went on. The game is really effective at giving you a feeling of being alone and helpless. Its also addictive as you want to keep playing to find out what's going on in the story. I haven't played many horror games but really liking this one! Expand
  70. Nov 6, 2015
    Just like any other horror movie or game, Outlast is a play on conventions. You start as a clueless character and you, as the player, get scared by every single scare, but after learning more of the story and the game's mechanics, there's fun in exploring to be had in this game. The story isn't anything TOO special, but it's still interesting nonetheless. The game looks great, and theJust like any other horror movie or game, Outlast is a play on conventions. You start as a clueless character and you, as the player, get scared by every single scare, but after learning more of the story and the game's mechanics, there's fun in exploring to be had in this game. The story isn't anything TOO special, but it's still interesting nonetheless. The game looks great, and the camera filter is ingenious. There is a certain lack of content, as the game is pretty short and you can find all the collectibles pretty fast on your first playthrough. Expand
  71. Feb 8, 2014
    The game has a very interesting plot, interesting characters and enemies. But the game is a bit unbalanced and not optemizirovanna. And since the game is cool
  72. Feb 17, 2014
    It has its drawbacks but it's a great game nonetheless, especially considering it's an indie title. If you like survival horror, its a no-brainer. It's also free on ps. plus.
  73. Feb 18, 2014
    Must have for all horror survival fans! And yes, you are going to die SEVERAL times! Get over it and enjoy this game for what it is. It accomplishes it's goal of being a dark, tense, yet thrilling experience. The story is just as good as any horror movie story... if you're expecting a great story, go watch Raiders of the Lost Ark! Those turned off by looking for keys and such... whatMust have for all horror survival fans! And yes, you are going to die SEVERAL times! Get over it and enjoy this game for what it is. It accomplishes it's goal of being a dark, tense, yet thrilling experience. The story is just as good as any horror movie story... if you're expecting a great story, go watch Raiders of the Lost Ark! Those turned off by looking for keys and such... what do you expect, instant gratification??? And no, there's no save as you step which is a bogus way to get through these games anyway. When you get through a part, it doesn't take you all the way back... just to the sequence just accomplished (not the entire level). You have to think and think fast (while at times running and hiding fast). The game immerses you in the moment and takes you on a horrifying & disturbing journey. Well done and recommended. Expand
  74. Feb 25, 2014
    One of the scariest games I've played since Silent Hill. although it only took me 4 hours it was still a great hold on the edge of your seat 4 hours it was a very scary and fun experience.
  75. Mar 16, 2014
    Reasons to buy
    This is the scariest game I have ever played because the developers got the atmosphere spot on, and no weapons and only having a camera is what make you jump out of your seat and makes every corner and corridors as scary and suspense as the next one.
    Also it's free on PS+ Reasons not to buy The story isn't that strong, and it creates basic missions which feels it's
    Reasons to buy
    Also it's free on PS+

Reasons not to buy
    The story isn't that strong, and it creates basic missions which feels it's there to extend the story longer than it should be.

Final verdict - you should get this just to experience just why this is the scariest game out there
    Graphics 7
    Sound 10
    Playability 6
    Gameplay 8

Overall 8
  76. Mar 22, 2014
    Incredible game. The atmosphere is terrific and environments are creepy. The music is very fitting and quite honestly terrifying at times. It's a relatively short game, but in that time frame you will never feel like you're not in danger. The ending was VERY disappointing but even that can not take away from the awesome thrill ride that I took in Outlast. If you're looking for a goodIncredible game. The atmosphere is terrific and environments are creepy. The music is very fitting and quite honestly terrifying at times. It's a relatively short game, but in that time frame you will never feel like you're not in danger. The ending was VERY disappointing but even that can not take away from the awesome thrill ride that I took in Outlast. If you're looking for a good scare, get this game! Expand
  77. Mar 21, 2014
    Outlast delivers with its creepy atmosphere and on edge music, it also provides the players with plenty of scares to get the heart racing. The night vision mechanic with the video camera draws you into the game. Though story was nothing to talk about, it still remains a good horror game. 8/10.
  78. Jun 24, 2014
    I want to like the game. Sure, it gets my heart racing and my palms sweaty but every time I try to sit down with the game I just feel like it is a slightly tedious task to crawl around a building. My other games always pull me back for a quicker, more satisfying fix.
  79. Apr 6, 2014
    Unfortunately I think this game gets most of its praise because it was free. Not to say that this game isn't good, because it is.

The graphics are great. The gameplay is just okay, though. I hadn't played a horror game up until this one, and, being the easy scare that I am, I was expecting to have nightmares for weeks. But I was only scared because of my own anticipation, really. The atmosphere was great: The 'people' that 'weren't home', and my own character's journal entries as I went insane were engaging and interesting, but when it came down to action sequences that should've had me helplessly running away in fear, I actually felt entirely confident in my ability to survive, simply because after the first encounter I knew exactly how to dodge every enemy in the game, and this was the primary drawback; The gameplay was lackluster and repetitive. The story also didn't end in a way that left me satisfied, and didn't offer much closure.

The game does offer quite a few scares in cutscenes and exploration of the asylum, just not in action sequences, which was a disappointment. It was fun while it lasted, though, and even more so with my roommate, as we both crept around the mount massive asylum.
  80. Apr 6, 2014
    I can't play Outlast for more than a few minutes at a time and that is a great thing. They throw every horror movie tactic at you and it all works because it is never stale. The game design and direction is perfect. The graphics aren't next gen but they don't need to be. Overall this game is a great and free with Playstation Plus! I would have had no regrets throwing some money down for this one.
  81. Apr 12, 2014
    Outlast is, essentially, a DECENT horror game to me.
    In my opinion, it is more original than we've seen in past horror games.
    The gameplay of Outlast gets really repetitive once you're about 3 hours in. See bad enemy, run or hide, wait until enemy doesn't see you, continue, repeat. The story is okay, but the ending is disappointing and once you finish the game, you feel like it was
    Outlast is, essentially, a DECENT horror game to me.
    In my opinion, it is more original than we've seen in past horror games.

The gameplay of Outlast gets really repetitive once you're about 3 hours in.
    See bad enemy, run or hide, wait until enemy doesn't see you, continue, repeat.

The story is okay, but the ending is disappointing and once you finish the game, you feel like it was for nothing.

The graphics are great, and the level design is also excellent, with claustrophobic hallways or a prison full of insane people. This game is one of the best looking games now on the PS4.

The sound of Outlast is the best thing about this game. Once you're walking along quietly, a loud sound comes when someone jumps at you, and the sound is what scares you.

Overall, I enjoyed Outlast, but only in 2 hour sessions. Not because I was scared (I jumped LOTS of time playing this game), but because the gameplay got repetitive.

Note: There is lots of sexual things and gore in this game that I felt was not that necessary.
  82. Apr 17, 2014
    This game is great for scares! Now days horror games aren't actually that scary but this one is really good since it gives you the enthusiasm to carry on when your torch dies and has no battery and there is some creepy guy who wants you dead. The storyline is well thought through and the graphics are really quite realistic! The only problems with it is that it is very hard and you areThis game is great for scares! Now days horror games aren't actually that scary but this one is really good since it gives you the enthusiasm to carry on when your torch dies and has no battery and there is some creepy guy who wants you dead. The storyline is well thought through and the graphics are really quite realistic! The only problems with it is that it is very hard and you are going through the same section for quite a while. Overall I give this game a 7/10 for a very scary and well thought through storyline. Expand
  83. Apr 20, 2014
    O had no idea of what this game was going into it but wow this was the first game I completed on my PS4 and loved it so much and can't wait for the DLC to come out.
  84. Apr 28, 2014
    A geniunly terrifying game. They only flaw this game has is the fact that it is 4-5 hours long. Besides that, one of the better horror games I've played in the past few years.
  85. May 15, 2014
    Outlast is a tremendous experience for fans of the genre. While it was released first on PC, it is a welcome addition to the early lineup for the PS4, and a title that horror fans will be talking about for some time to come. While there are clearly influences from other FPS titles in Outlast, its game 1 play is entirely fresh, offering a simple yet extremely successful style that standsOutlast is a tremendous experience for fans of the genre. While it was released first on PC, it is a welcome addition to the early lineup for the PS4, and a title that horror fans will be talking about for some time to come. While there are clearly influences from other FPS titles in Outlast, its game 1 play is entirely fresh, offering a simple yet extremely successful style that stands the genre on its head; trading guns and ammo for a camcorder and batteries. This, together with top notch sound and perfectly eerie environments creates a recipe for game play that will have you on the edge of your seat and back to its corner in equal measures. The only downside of this wonderfully frightful experience is game play that becomes repetitive coming on the end, but it is hard to fault any attempt to keep players in this game just a little longer. A must try for horror fans, or anyone looking for a fresh and unique first-person experience. Expand
  86. May 17, 2014
    This best game on PS4 until the moment. It will creep you out! If you want a new game experience this is a good choice too. You can't fight back this is a different but great concept.
  87. May 18, 2014
    A fantastic game full if scares. It's strange how a game which only has you running, hiding and collecting objects can be so addictive. Truly enjoyed it.
  88. Jun 27, 2014
    I don't come to Metacritic to write about the games I don't like. I login when I feel folks need to experience a great title -- and Outlast is flipping fantastic. It's not just jump scares. Listening to Chris Walker's footsteps as he pounds his way past your hiding spot.....or watching Trager peer under a bed frame as he hunts you amid his dozens of vivasection victims....or glancing overI don't come to Metacritic to write about the games I don't like. I login when I feel folks need to experience a great title -- and Outlast is flipping fantastic. It's not just jump scares. Listening to Chris Walker's footsteps as he pounds his way past your hiding spot.....or watching Trager peer under a bed frame as he hunts you amid his dozens of vivasection victims....or glancing over your shoulder as a mob of blade wielding crazies sprint after your down a pitch black hall, illuminated only by the IR lense of your mini-cam....HOLY CRAP. The sounds, the graphics, the overall atmosphere of this game and its DLC expansion (Whistleblower) are incredible. And for $30 you get about 8-9 hours of combined playing time....which is a lot of bang for your buck, when you consider there is NO down time here. If you're not running/hiding for your life you're waiting to haul a** from that next bloodthirsty loon.

The game honestly deserves a 9 if you're looking just at pacing and gameplay. There are a couple of instances where the fun bordered on frustration (due to an escape route that might have been TOO well hidden). I'm giving it a 10 because Red Barrels was incredibly brave/focused on producing the game they wanted to provide. Do NOT let your kids try this thing. I've never seen a game more deserving of its rating. But in the same breath, this is the first time in years I've seen horror done right in a video game. I'll be playing through it again on a higher difficulty ...and to record some more polished clips to share with friends....once I get my heart rate back under control.
  89. Dec 2, 2015
    A genuinely frightening and unsettling experience which is extremely brutal and twisted. In this day and age with so many "Horror" games on the market its refreshing to find a game that actually provides scares.
    Made by an Indie publisher with 12 developers Outlast is the perfect example of the result of a group of people with one focus, to scare the bejesus out of the player, create a memorable experience and do it well.
    Outlast is a sleeper hit, its a "Hard R" and from the first few minutes to the last it proves it.
    It takes a while to get used to the fact that you can't fight back and your only avenue for survival is to run and hide. Armed with nothing more than a camcorder with night vision you navigate a mental asylum while trying to avoid being torn to shreds by the patients who have taken it upon themselves to redecorate using each other's intestines and blood.
    Jump scares are aplenty, however none feel cheap, everything is really well planned out, from the quite moments to the pack your undies and gap it sections.
    Admittedly it took me a while to get into Outlast due to the difficulty curve and adjusting to the game play and darkness. The game looks great even though its as dark as it is. The sound effects and music are phenomenal and the story is pretty good if you pay attention.
    Overall, Outlast is a 9. Its not for everyone, due to the sneaker/survival/run and hide nature of the game and the ultra violence. For those of you looking for something different and if you've got a strong stomach and patience I highly recommend it.
    Oh, and a game which openly features necrophilia between a inmate and a decapitated corpse easily ranks this head and shoulders above its peers - I kid you not.
  90. Oct 8, 2014
    Survival horror has had a great comeback as of late. This resurgence is mainly due to the defiant spirit of indie developers and their studios. Amnesia is one of the most popular horror games out and not only is this due to some interesting mechanics and a great grasp over fear, but also because the game has left out one feature that modern horror games seem to think is essential- combat.Survival horror has had a great comeback as of late. This resurgence is mainly due to the defiant spirit of indie developers and their studios. Amnesia is one of the most popular horror games out and not only is this due to some interesting mechanics and a great grasp over fear, but also because the game has left out one feature that modern horror games seem to think is essential- combat. Rather than gearing up with some melee weapons and a shotgun, all you have in these types of run-and-hide games are your wits and your trusty lantern/torch/camera etc. It adds a unique twist to gameplay and makes Outlast the most terrifying game I have ever played.

You play as Miles Upshur- an investigative journalist who gets a tip to take a trip to Mount Massive Asylum. A whistleblower has come out and expressed their disdain over the operations going down at the creepy establishment. The Asylum was closed down in the 70's, but Murkoff Advanced Systems reopened the place in 2009. The thing is, Murkoff isn't trustworthy and their experiments on the patients at the Asylum aren't exactly hidden to the public. If Miles can figure out what is going on, then his career will get the boost he's always wanted. That is if he can survive the night...

The story isn't the standout part of Outlast. In fact, it is probably the weakest component and the reason it receives a 9. It starts off fairly intriguing and the continuing twists and turns led me to believe that this could be another cliched religious-fanatic-goes-crazy story, but it actually surprises- not in a good way though. I would have preferred the previous approach, as the final twist is cartoonish and outlandish and almost ruins the experience. It feels like the twist at the end of a Scooby Doo cartoon and that isn't cool. The repetitive objectives also don't help the storytelling. You normally have to activate three objects to proceed and this is certainly tense the first time. While activating generators appears to be tedious, the circumstances are absolutely, horrifyingly amazing. It's pitch black and a knife wielding maniac is after you, with the only light coming from your night vision camera or from the generators activated. However, it gets boring when you have to turn more pumps and valves and switches- of which there are plenty. So, story and objectives are a let down. Are the scares and gameplay? Absolutely not. They're almost perfect.

As mentioned, you can't fight. You can only run and hide (and scream). Most of the time you'll be avoiding the hulking monster Chris Walker. If he gets a hold of you, it's an insta kill. He is certainly the most terrifying creature in the game. His mashed in head and giant figure certainly make him intimidating and your only clue as to his presence normally comes from a sound cue and the clink of his ball and chain. But Walker isn't the only thing after you. There are plenty of inmates out for you blood and more than a few set pieces put some nasty creatures after you. In particular, a doctor with a giant pair of scissors and two nude men with some deadly blades. I love the amount of variety in the character models and the monster designs, even if the patients start to look the same.

Your greatest asset in Outlast is your trusty camera. Not only is it used to record events (which are like collectibles), but it also has a secondary night vision mode. Seeing as how most of the game is set in pitch black darkness, it certainly helps if you need to get your bearings. It also provides the terror of the game. Sneaking across a courtyard at night with only your camera to help you is terrifying and while you can switch the mode on and off to save battery, this is where most of the jump scares occur. Of course, you DO need to save battery. They are in supply and I normally had about 7 out of 10 batteries at a time, but even reaching 3 batteries made me nervous. Outlast always keeps you on the edge of your seat and this is just another terrifying technique.

Outlast is so damn scary because the scares are nowhere near as predictable as the objectives. You never know when the next jump scare will occur, who your next foe will be and whether or not the patients will ignore you, run away from you or attack you. Outlast does horror and it does it damn good. While I played on the Normal difficulty, horror fanatics can always try Hard or (once they finish the game) the dastardly Nightmare mode. This makes enemies more aware of you, lessens your resistance to attacks and also limits batteries.

The graphics in Outlast are surprisingly good for an indie developer (by good I mean realistic) and the sound design is outstanding. The controls are simple but work well and while it only took me 4 and a half hours to finish the game, it's more about the quality than the quantity. Outlast stumbles when it comes to story and variety, but it leaps and bounds as a horror experience. I plan on replaying it at night, with headphones... but not yet.
  91. Sep 10, 2014
    The best survival horror game that I've ever played.
    There isn't many jump scares but the game creates the right blend of sound and sight to create the perfect atmosphere where you're scared to look around the corner.
    The best survival horror game that I've ever played.
    The only bad thing was that it got a bit repetitive as there were a few missions of just "turn on the 3 gas valves" and "find the key" but don't let that put you off buying it, it's an amazing game with an ending that leaves you wanting more.
  92. Sep 10, 2014
    This game is very hard to rate. It comes very close being funny-bad. I had a lot of fun laughing at it while playing with a friend, but as a horror game it fails miserably. Horror, to me, is all about immersion. It was impossible for me to feel immersed in this game because of the obvious programming. An enemy would always spawn at one spot instead of patrolling. A guard wouldThis game is very hard to rate. It comes very close being funny-bad. I had a lot of fun laughing at it while playing with a friend, but as a horror game it fails miserably. Horror, to me, is all about immersion. It was impossible for me to feel immersed in this game because of the obvious programming. An enemy would always spawn at one spot instead of patrolling. A guard would check the locker next to you instead of randomly (every time). If you pick something up an enemy shows up (also every time). This leads me to always knowing what is going to happen which prevents me from being afraid (it is said that fear is centered around the unknown, after all). Trouble is, I would still probably recommend playing it, even with its many flaws. It had some neat moments as well as a decent level design and atmosphere that make it worth your time. Expand
  93. Jul 5, 2016
    I finished this game after a year and a half. Was too scared to play! Game feels amazing, graphics and sound as well. The story was a bit confusing to me especially towards the end. I give it a 8/10 because of the lag the game had at the last chapter. It was tearing a lot, other than that the game was scary as ****
  94. Jan 18, 2015
    Outlast is a first-person survival horror video game from J.T. Petty (writer) and Red Barrels.
    Saving system is worse than i imagined.
    Enemy Design: 8/10
    Survival Horror: 8/10
    Music: 8/10
    Graphics: 8/10
    This game is scary, but frustrating too. Easy 7.5
  95. Oct 14, 2014
    This game will give you some great scares, and makes your heart beat rise, when you're trying to run for your life while exploring the asylum, but becomes very repetitive early on.

Early hours of game set the mood really high, and Outlast actually made me really nervous and twitchy while playing. You play the game from first person view, and main objective is to avoid combat while finding keys and other items to proceed from one area to the next.
    As for PS4 features, you can swipe your controller's touch pad to use zoom function of your camera, and when you use nightvision mode, the light of your controller will change color to green. These features may sound fun, but they aren't really that exciting or important.

The repetitive nature of this game may be a big turn off for some players. You will turn few levers to open a new path, see an old enemy, hide, run, and proceed. When you have played the first hours of this game, you have already seen all what Outlast offers.

I bought this game for 9,9€, and for that price, the short ~5 hours campaign didn't bother me. But still it is a shame that game doesn't have that much replay value. You don't obtain any tools to help your journey or encounters with enemies, and there really aren't that many enemy types, they all have the same behaviour. You can't choose any alternative routes when proceeding from one area to next and so on.
    Only moment when the gameplay has some variety, it lasts for less than 20 mins.

With more gameplay elements, this could've easily been one of the best horror games ever.

Even if you buy this with the full price of 19,90€, you will probably still have fun with this game.
  96. Nov 23, 2014
    An amazing horror game that had me scared a couple of times. I recommend this game to an horror game fan, even if your not a horror game fan like me. It's to bad it's not free on PS Plus no more
  97. Nov 11, 2014
    Outlast is an oppressive game until the end. You have no weapon but only your camera.

Graphics 7/10
    Music 5/10
    Gameplay 8/10
    Scenario 7/10

My overall score is 7
  98. Nov 5, 2014
    Outlast had me hooked from the start as you approach the Mount Massive Asylum you really feel that sense of dread your character feels as you have to enter. The first half hour of the game manages to pack in suspense and genuine dread and one part in particular gave me the biggest jump scare in the whole game and the music/sound effects are done to perfection.

The sense of dread and

The sense of dread and unease is present pretty much throughout the games playing time but after a while you know whether you are going to enter an area where you are in danger or it's simply another long winding corridor to travel through. The AI in this game is a bit hit and miss as the enemies tend to travel pre mapped tracks so avoiding them is normally a matter of waiting for them to turn their back and then move, but you do have to be careful not to go too soon from cover/hiding positions and when you are chased it's genuienly thrilling/scary.

I did find myself getting frustrated sometimes as it's unclear some areas you can actually climb up and long winding corridors can become confusing at first but once you get your bearings it's fine.

I thought the story built up superbly but then unfortunately the ending of the game was a big let down for me as I just felt it was a bit weak and a shame and I was left feeling a bit dissapointed.

Overall the mood/atmosphere is great, the sound is amazing but the AI isn't too smart and the game can become a little confusing when you are not quite sure where to go (although those moments don't happen too often) and the ending is pretty poor in my opinion. But Outlast is ultimately a fun horror game that oozes atmosphere and well worth playing for horror fans.
  99. Dec 6, 2014
    This game offers a lot of scary moments, immersive environment and a interesting story, all combined with very detailed graphics and very well designed controls, I got this game for free through ps plus but honestly I wouldn't pay for playing this game.
  100. Jan 14, 2015
    Few modern horror games hit the mark quite like Outlast does when it comes to scares and heart stopping moments that will leave you clambering for the light switch.

The game is stripped back to basics with nothing but your wits and a camcorder to aid you and this offers a terrifying experience throughout. You are a reporter tasked with getting to the bottom of what is going on at Mount Massive Asylum but quickly find yourself lost in a sea of darkness and looking for the exit.

The night vision of the camcorder and the very real worry that your batteries may run out at any minute offers an extra edge of desperation to proceedings. If you run into trouble then you have two options; run or hide. Outlast's fresh take on the horror genre puts some mainstream titles to shame and I'm fascinated by where the developers will take it next with Outlast 2 reportedly in production.

it isn't perfect and sadly the story does fall a little short when it blunders into becoming more sci-fi in the final chapter but that is me being picky. The story itself is enjoyable throughout and offers some stand out moments that will leave you terrified, and yet wanting more.

If you are looking for a true horror game that offers something fresh and innovative then Outlast is for you. If you are of a nervous disposition then perhaps look away now...

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 19, 2014
    It’s not perfect, but Outlast still succeeds at scaring the pants off you. [April 2014, p80]
  2. Play UK
    Mar 10, 2014
    A great example of the new wave of indie horror, Outlast isn't revolutionary or particularly terrifying, but some great jump scares and a fun, cheesy story make it well worth checking out. [Issue#241, p.72]
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    Outlast is a virtual tour through a hall of terrors. Even playing the game in full daylight makes me uneasy. However, the game's overall level design and gameplay were sacrificed at the altar of fear. If you're looking for an experience that will get your adrenaline pumping, Outlast is hard to beat, but if you’re looking for a meatier horror experience then you might want to run past this one.