Outlast PlayStation 4

7.8

1. Mar 10, 2014
    Boring boring boring. Cannot describe how much this game angers me. It isn't scary, it is just incredibly loud when the music kicks in. A bit like how adverts between TV programmes are always slightly higher in volume well this game takes that to the extreme.

I would have turned the music down a tad but guess what you cannot adjust the music. Completely overrated game I wouldn't wish on anyone.

"ah a FPS with no weapons, must vote it great" really no just don't it is awful. Save your bandwidth.
  2. Feb 16, 2014
    Where do I begin on this game? I'll begin by saying I'm not one to scare easily so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy this game like others would. Nonetheless, Outlast does have it moments but the repititive gameplay makes your realize it's not neccesarily that this game is scary, it's just you can't do **** and spend 80% of the game playing tag and hide and seek, other 20% of the game isWhere do I begin on this game? I'll begin by saying I'm not one to scare easily so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy this game like others would. Nonetheless, Outlast does have it moments but the repititive gameplay makes your realize it's not neccesarily that this game is scary, it's just you can't do **** and spend 80% of the game playing tag and hide and seek, other 20% of the game is looking for keys or ways to advance the game or whatnot. Speaking of gameplay..what gameplay? In this age of gaming with cinematic gameplay, and games like heavy rain, beyond two souls, and even telltale's walking dead, outlast has no character development and a confusing mess of a story for an lack of gameplay to keep me interested. Scavenging for documents are unrewarding, I barely understood one document I was reading. I could see how others enjoyed this game, especially if you grasped the concept of the gameplay and story; but for me its a BOOOOO!!!...hehe see what i did there? Expand
  3. crs
    Feb 5, 2014
    Annoying as hell and am glad I didnt pay for it.

Difficulty way too hard.

Level design very poor

Developer who forgets games should be fun and not ridiculously hard.

If you like dying and repeating the same section over and over you will love it.

If you want a fun game which doesnt make you want to smash your controller this isnt for you.
  4. Sep 2, 2014
    So, I finally got around to playing through Outlast over the long weekend. I initially started it up when it debuted as a free title in the PS Plus Instant Game Collection but it did not grab me. I wanted to give it a good try before deleting it from my hard drive.

I'm not a huge fan of horror genre games primarily because they have all seemed gimmicky to me. This one is no exception. The "scares" are all based around a typically low volume and then exploding through your speakers or, in my case, headphones.

The mechanic of using the "night vision" mode of the video camera for well over half the time was pretty tedious and made me want to gouge out my eyes. Add in the typical pattern of finding what you need, then running around hiding from the stalking monsters, wash, rinse, repeat. It quickly became very boring.

I forced myself to finish the game even though it really seemed to go "off the rails" near the end. Honestly, the last section felt like a totally different game and a bit like Half-Life in story, though a feeble imitation.

I did experience one game stopping glitch that required a reset of the game, though my progress was not corrupted.

In summary, it was a bit of a slog to push through and I have zero desire to try and run through the game for the remaining trophies as it seemed more like work than fun.
  5. Jan 29, 2017
    6th worst game ever i hate it AND IT SHOULD DIE TO DETH TO SCAY AND BORING GRAPHICS ARE TERIBLE AND UNORIGINAL AN CRAPPY GAMEPLAY AND LORE AN STORY I HAT IT

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 19, 2014
    It’s not perfect, but Outlast still succeeds at scaring the pants off you. [April 2014, p80]
  2. Play UK
    Mar 10, 2014
    A great example of the new wave of indie horror, Outlast isn't revolutionary or particularly terrifying, but some great jump scares and a fun, cheesy story make it well worth checking out. [Issue#241, p.72]
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    Outlast is a virtual tour through a hall of terrors. Even playing the game in full daylight makes me uneasy. However, the game's overall level design and gameplay were sacrificed at the altar of fear. If you're looking for an experience that will get your adrenaline pumping, Outlast is hard to beat, but if you’re looking for a meatier horror experience then you might want to run past this one.