7.3

1. Jul 11, 2015
    Taking place across the striking milieus of Auraxis, Daybreak Games’ colossal MMO shooter charts the trials and tribulations of an all-out sci-fi conflict between three warring factions: Terran Republic, New Conglomerate and the Vanu Sovereignty. After swearing allegiance to a cause of your choosing, it isn’t long before you’ve crafted a character, selected a class, and been shipped outTaking place across the striking milieus of Auraxis, Daybreak Games’ colossal MMO shooter charts the trials and tribulations of an all-out sci-fi conflict between three warring factions: Terran Republic, New Conglomerate and the Vanu Sovereignty. After swearing allegiance to a cause of your choosing, it isn’t long before you’ve crafted a character, selected a class, and been shipped out onto the battlefield — little more than a pawn on the galaxy’s biggest chess board.

Moreover, friendly fire remains an issue and there’s little variation in the armor between you and your sworn enemies. Players do have the ability to tag a visible baddie so that they’re highlighted for your allies to target, but more often than not, you’ll hear “stop shooting, we’re on the same side!” echo around the battlefield quite regularly. Now, with such a huge install base, there’s plenty of trigger happy soldiers who will damage friendlies and dance to their own tune; though when you accidentally empty a clip on an ally, accumulating a fair share of Grief Points in the process, this lack of identity can be pretty frustrating.

Overall, though, PlanetSide 2’s unique selling point remains its inordinate, at-times-mind-boggling scope. Engaging in The Great Auraxian War is a truly liberating experience, giving you free reign to experiment with classes and different strategies without adhering to a set round time limit. By the same token, this persistent set-up does mean that the concept of winning is somewhat abstract, with victory coming in small, periodical doses rather than one triumphant swoop.

Rarely does a game resonate with me enough to keep playing beyond review, but for PlanetSide 2, it feels as though my journey is just getting started.
  2. Jun 28, 2015
    The best shooter out there. Nothing can replace that feeling when yiur rolling alongside fifty tanks, a dozen air vehicles, and like 50 teammates as you clash with a similar force in all out war. The game is like if you took team fortress, battlefield, and mixed it with an mmo.

There are some issues with draw distance and pop ins. There's also a terrible "grief point ststem" that is good in theory and poor in execution. Auto Turrets or allies ramming your tank could get your weapon disabled.

I'm not gonna lie, there's a bit of a kearning curve that may turn off more casual players.

Anyway, the game is a blast.
  3. Jun 27, 2015
    I tried the PC version when it came out at a friend's house (my PC can't handle it), was in the PS4 beta, and finally played the final console version for a few hours hours. All i can say is that this is my kind of shooter!

Sure it's not as polished as some 'AAA' shooter out there, but no game offers this level of freedom and scale. I'm also surprised with how well the console handles the big battles. I have experienced a few battles with a few hundred players, and the framerate always looked to be above the 30fps. Impressive, especially considering the beta struggled with 20 or 30 players on screen.

+ Massive scale and player count.
    + Great graphics and performance (for a game of this scale).
    + Nice gameplay and pacing (similar to Battlefield and the opposite to CoD, which is perfect to me).
    + Free to play but not pay to win.

- The menus are still a bit slow and buggy (nothing compared to the beta, though).
    - It would be nice to see the actual number of players per continent before jumping in.
    - Instant action should take you to the area you are pointing at, instead of being random.

All in all, i just hope that this game turns popular. I know it's not for everyone, but those who like large scale shooters, and give this game a second, third try, will love it for sure.

I would give it 8/10 if i had to play for it. 10/10, since it's free and great, even for 'AAA' standards.
  4. Jul 9, 2015
    This game is amazing , its so good that i had to make an account on metacritic to tell you guys. First the bad things : There is NO tuturial !!! ( very confusing first hours) , It looks good , but its not as detailed as BF4 for example . Then there is NO destruction like on BF4 . THAT IS IT . thats it , thats all the bad things , this game is such a good online shooter itsThis game is amazing , its so good that i had to make an account on metacritic to tell you guys. First the bad things : There is NO tuturial !!! ( very confusing first hours) , It looks good , but its not as detailed as BF4 for example . Then there is NO destruction like on BF4 . THAT IS IT . thats it , thats all the bad things , this game is such a good online shooter its amazing . First : Its FREE , and you actuallly DONT need to buy stuff , guns etc etc , trust me ALL default weapons are good , and if you want another "good" gun this wil cost around 1000 CR ( i make like 450 a day playing ). or you can spend real money Second : Its massive !! its very normal to see a battle between 96 players !! THATS 96 on both sides , not 50 v 46 !!, thats more then BF , DESTINY and COD combined!! Third : gameplay is great and well balanced , you WILL need a good mix of snipers, medics , engineers etc etc to be succesful , each plays their part and you will feel like an important part of a huge army . On my server ( EU ) i have seen almost no lag , if there is its WAY less then BF4 or Hardline . That is it , my review on PlanetSide 2 , i will leave you with a question to EA and DICE : Why The Hell would i buy your StarWars 20v20 players game for 60 euro standardcopy , 79 deluxe copy and 89 euro premiumcopy ?? , when i can play this for free !!! Expand
  5. Jun 27, 2015
    This game is basically Battlefield on Crack and it has more "only in Battlefield" moments than all BF titles combined. 20 times the amount of players on 15 times bigger maps. You thought you were lucky getting a hold on that single MBT in BF4? What about spawning FIFTY of them with your buddies in this game and show them in a huge tank column who has iron balls? The first time your sunThis game is basically Battlefield on Crack and it has more "only in Battlefield" moments than all BF titles combined. 20 times the amount of players on 15 times bigger maps. You thought you were lucky getting a hold on that single MBT in BF4? What about spawning FIFTY of them with your buddies in this game and show them in a huge tank column who has iron balls? The first time your sun gets blocked by a massive wave of incoming big,skywhale Galaxy dropships,is a moment you will never forget in your gaming life. Same goes for the first time you get engaged in an epic open field battle resembling what seems to be an all-out total war.

This game is not a ten because it's perfect, far from that. This game is a ten because it has something to offer that simply cannot be found in any other (MMO) shooter out there. The epic scale and amount of teamwork involved simply makes games like BF and Destiny look small and shallow. Oh, and it's completely free without being P2W as well.
  6. Jun 23, 2015
    Planetside 2 puts u in the real battlefield. With gorgeous gfx, huge scale battles and solid gameplay, everybody with a ps4 must try this game out,. It's easily one of PS4's best online experience and it's FREE!
  7. Jun 26, 2015
    If you are looking for photo realistic graphics and celebrity voice overs then you need not apply here. If you want epic game play on huge maps with hundreds of other players around you then jump on in. This is the first FPS game I've played in ages that really puts fun above all else and it is so refreshing. The fact that this game is free to play on top of this, and that it being free toIf you are looking for photo realistic graphics and celebrity voice overs then you need not apply here. If you want epic game play on huge maps with hundreds of other players around you then jump on in. This is the first FPS game I've played in ages that really puts fun above all else and it is so refreshing. The fact that this game is free to play on top of this, and that it being free to play is implemented in such a way that you do not need to spend money on upgrades to enjoy yourself only makes it better. The only question here is why aren't you downloading it yet? Go on, go, get the game!
    TLDR: 10/10 great game play > Kevin Spacey voice over.
  8. Jun 24, 2015
    there has been some lag issues and they've had to take the servers down to fix all the problems, but when the game is working without lag it is fun. Daybreak games did a god job making a PS4 port of this game and once they fix all the lag issues it will be a lot of fun.
  9. Jul 3, 2015
    This game is amazing! I've gotten so many interesting stories out of this game; more so than any other FPS/war game I've ever played. From sneaking into enemy bases and taking out people who walked right past me like a steath-game main character as an Infiltrator with Stalker Cloaking, to healing and reviving fallen teammates and occationally shooting bursts of fire into the enemy duringThis game is amazing! I've gotten so many interesting stories out of this game; more so than any other FPS/war game I've ever played. From sneaking into enemy bases and taking out people who walked right past me like a steath-game main character as an Infiltrator with Stalker Cloaking, to healing and reviving fallen teammates and occationally shooting bursts of fire into the enemy during massive 100 allies vs 100 enemy firefights as a medic, to riding in or driving a ground transport Sunderer in a huge 10 tank 20 Sunderer 5 air support and 50 ground troop rush of a base, this game has some intense, highly memorable moments that you'll never experience in any other multiplayer game. Seriously, some of the moments feel so much like watching a massive battle in a Star Wars movie play out that it seems scripted, but in fact it's all players and no NPCs!

Pros:

• Good graphics: Not groundbreaking or the best, but still great and immersive enough.

• Classes: Quite a few classes to choose from, and they all have distinct uses. Two support classes, Medic and Engineer, guarantee that there will be plenty of useful cooperative team play, which is a huge part of what makes the game so fun.

* The feel-factor: Like I mentioned before, this game WILL give you plenty of memorable moments just about any time you jump in, and with the different classes, you can pretty much play the game how you want. If you want to be a part of a huge battle, you can at pretty much any time. If you want to instead sneak behind enemy lines, hack enemy turrets and stations, and take capture points, all on your own (or in a stealthy ninja group with friends), you can at any time. If you want to be a pilot, a tank driver, a atv-riding scout-sniper, a troop transporter, or a spawn deployer, you can do any of those at any time!

• Vehicles: They got the vehicle system right in this game. Vehicles cost a separate currency called resources. ATVs cost 50, while the most expensive vehicles cost around 450. The max resources you can have are 750, but every minute of gameplay you get 50 resources back, so if you use a vehicle you got for 450 resources for just 9 minutes, you've already got all the resources back. This system prevents people from just spawning a tank, rushing at attacking/defending tanks, and the spawning another tank ad nauseum, but it still gives plenty of resources to constantly stay in your vehicle of choice without too much worry of it getting destroyed.

• Pay-to-Pay: You read that right. This game isn't pay-to-win or pay-to-play. The only reason to pay is if you want to level faster or get currency faster. It really doesn't give payers any advantage over non-payers, so you'll never really feel like "jeeze, I feel forced to pay to compete". This alone makes it one of the best free-to-play games I've ever played.

Cons:

• Currency gain: Currency (Certs) in this game are pretty tiring to get. You get 1 cert for every 250 xp. I'm still pretty new to the game, but I've gotten up to getting around 6000xp per hour, which is only about 24 certs per hour. Considering that most upgrades for equipment and skills go in tiers of 10, 30, 50, 100, 200, 300, 500, and 1000+ certs, and that guns are generally between 600 - 1000 certs, it can take FOREVER to get guns. That said, guns are usually sidegrades, so they aren't worth spending certs on anyway, so I usually invest in upgrades, which give the biggest advantages. They really need to increase cert payouts, as currently it'll take most users over a week to buy a decent amount of upgrades, and vehicle upgrades are very overpriced, to the point where you almost need to make a character that you'll only invest your certs into vehicles.

• Pay-to-buy: While I did say it's not pay to win or play, the grind for certs can make paying seem slightly more attractive. Even so, the XP gain from booster packs (50% boost to XP for 6 months for $30) seems borderline not worth it. Making 6000 XP per hour means that I'd be making 9000 XP per hour with the boost pack, which means I'd still only be making 36 certs and hour. They also offer battle cash, bt battcle cash is usually about $1 to 100 certs, so 100 cert upgrades cost $1 while guns can cost $6-17, which is overpriced in my opinion. I suppose that, if its a game you plan on playing for a long time, spending $60 to get your character(s) to where you want them could be justified as buying the game, but considering pretty much all the stuff you buy is only for one character, and in some cases, just one class on that one character, it's a bit ridiculous.

• Difficulty: The game throws you in, so it takes a while to figure out what to do. Thankfully, they put you on a starter island first, so you can get your bearings.

Also, against what one reviewer said, there's only a queue on one server, which has a very high population; if you play on just a high pop server, you'll get in instantly every time and still have massive battles.
  10. Jul 5, 2015
    As with any f2p game, whether it is properly identified as “pay 2 win” is often a primary concern to a potential newcomer. Though I do think this game is more readily identifiable as “pay 2 win” than not, I’ll elaborate a bit on what p2w means to me to both justify, and better accommodate critics, of my view. However, I do not think being moderately p2w is Planetside 2’s biggest problem…As with any f2p game, whether it is properly identified as “pay 2 win” is often a primary concern to a potential newcomer. Though I do think this game is more readily identifiable as “pay 2 win” than not, I’ll elaborate a bit on what p2w means to me to both justify, and better accommodate critics, of my view. However, I do not think being moderately p2w is Planetside 2’s biggest problem…

To me, the phrase “pay 2 win” describes a system, typically within free-to-play games, that encourages players to purchase relative “advantages” by not making them “reasonably accessible” without paying. In this case: guns, abilities/perks, upgrades, vehicle parts, weapon attachments, etc. F2p games operate a bit awkwardly in that they often search for a certain sweet spot where determining the strength of the “advantage” and what constitutes as “reasonably accessible” are both as ambiguous as necessary to render the most revenue. They want to make the player feel as though their money wasn’t wasted on a crappy new gun, but they don’t want lower-geared players to feel helpless. They also want to reward long term player commitment and make progression towards upgrades seem reachable, but not so close to the player’s grasp that enough of them will feel satisfied without ever paying a dime. It is also important to note that the changing, subjective vagueness people may have with regards to identifying what is either an “advantage” or “reasonably accessible” entails constant forecasting and rebalancing in order to soothe such a temperamental economy and mold it in the most profitable favor.

Whether it’s operating as a medic during a stalemate, playing a topnotch infiltrator, or just accumulating a massive amount of kills- from my experience, certification points are certainly acquirable and pseudo-farmable (I can make over 1000 certs on a good, fairly long day). But, relative to the cost of much of the equipment (and the advantages they bring), specifically for vehicles, Planetside 2 surely plays more on the grindy side. For new players, I generally think it is a bit too much. Ceteris paribus, certain weapon upgrades for infantry and vehicles alike are too relatively advantageous to those without, and they are accessible, but I have my doubts as to “reasonably” so (10+ hours a day, with great effort and experience often yields less than 1000 certs). As such, Planetside 2’s monetary system is at least moderately describable as P2W, in my honest opinion. This, though, is not my chief concern with the game…

Planetside 2 is littered with an overwhelming amount of high impact/game breaking bugs, glitches, and occasional connectivity issues: overly intrusive outdoor/indoor(?) sun glare, audio bugs, distance render glitches, clipping underground/through walls, continual insta-killed at Sunderer spawn, fire-rate glitches, rubber-banding combined with enemies suddenly appearing, unable to respawn glitch, constant red hit locator on screen bug, out-of-bounds when inbounds bug, unable to respawn bug, vehicle will not deploy bug, no shield/shield will not recharge bug, cannot redeploy bug, cannot accept revive bug, cannot refill ammo bug, cannot change fire mode on primary infantry weapon glitch, and the list goes on and on and on and on- these are merely the ones I’ve had and remember, mind you. I understand that the game is in beta, and that it’s a HUGE mmo, but these glitches almost always ruin my experience when they occur (and they occur far too often). Also, the “spot” system is still a bit shoddy, if I die with my secondary out I do not want to spawn with it out, bullet spread could be a bit tighter for nearly all weapons, several animations could be improved, friendly fire should just be off, player profile (particularly for headshots) could use a tad of work, better spawn protection would be appreciated, and a **** ton of other personally picky things that tantamount into frustration all need “fixing.”

Battles are big, however. For an fps mmo on the ps4, they are **** GARGANTUAN. Like 12v12 tanks with 5v5 air vehicles and 50 v 50 infantry is consistently found nearly, I don’t know, everywhere! It felt genuinely fun and unique (for the ps4) to take part in experiences I thought I could only have on my PC (though, albeit, I much prefer playing the PC version). Still, weak core gunplay (little strafe/dodge mechanics outside of hip-fire/jet-packing) and an overwhelming amount of glitches/bugs make this game borderline unplayable for me (though hopefully they are temporary issues). Without the bugs, the game would be at least a 7 (not much higher because I do not care for the mediocre gunplay). As is, it is initially impressive on scale- but, rarely have I ever felt a more appropriate time to echo the grandpaian proverb “quantity (even of this magnitude) certainly does not equal quality,” than when discussing this game. If you are asking people to spend money on your game then FIX THE DAMN BUGS! Slapping the word “beta” onto the title will not protect you forever!
  11. Jun 28, 2015
    So let's begin. This games is a Free to Play, so don't expect an awesome game without payment methods.

At the beginning you choose a faction and create your character, The creation of your character is so bad, you only choose between American (White), African (Black), Asian (Yellow) or Latin; it's just a SKIN COLOR choice. The queue it's terrible, you need to wait more than 3 minutes to join. This games counts with some sort of "premium" accounts that doesn't requires to wait so much.

As i said before, this is a Free to Play. As many other games, there is a shop where you buy weapons with game currency or with real money, of what i have seen there isn't advantages, you just save time to earn game money. Gameplay feels not so bad, sometimes its hard to control your soldier, vehicles are a pain to drive. Also, audio fails constantly.

This game needs huge attention.
  12. Jul 12, 2015
    It's pretty confusing for first time players. Most of the map is empty and it's rather hard to find people when you're not spawning on team-mates or know where the MAIN objective is at. Sometimes it gives you a high priority objective with absolutely no one there. It takes forever to get into a game, but when you finally get the hang of it, it's pretty good for a F2P.
  13. Jul 14, 2015
    If I wanted a game with glitchy graphics, campers, and a lot of cannot find servers combined with how do you get killed in the middle of nowhere. Then this is the game I would pick up. Now if I had any respect for my time or sanity I would not pick this game up ever again. Terrible. Stupid. Pointless. Absolute suck.
  14. Jul 30, 2015
    The only reason you would play this game is because it's free and you have no other games to play. **** 2 drops you into a world filled with islands. There are small islands and rather large islands. Each island is uniqe in it's own way. Whether it's the biomes or just the size... or the number of red team on the map thats about to r a p e your butts. It's so annoying having to prepare myThe only reason you would play this game is because it's free and you have no other games to play. **** 2 drops you into a world filled with islands. There are small islands and rather large islands. Each island is uniqe in it's own way. Whether it's the biomes or just the size... or the number of red team on the map thats about to r a p e your butts. It's so annoying having to prepare my a n u s everytime we (the purple team) go into battle. There are hardly anyone on the sucky azz blue team. The objective of the game is to see who can stay at a,b,or c and not die the fastest. Period. The people with the most objectives eventually take over the island which is total b u l l s h ! t because they just go to the next one. Theres lag and generic looking players which is kinda racist if you think about it. I would rather go to CGULLZ t a i n t solutions and have my t a i n t have a hole drilled in it than play this game. thanks for the pepperoni pizza-yours truly-dohnkie Expand
  15. Jul 30, 2015
    You want to know the definition of insanity....its playing this game. Its just an endless cycle of fighting over bases. The controls with vehicles are god awful trying to invite people to a squad is a pain of its own. I feel as if i am okaying call of duty on a bigger map filled with quick scoping 12 year olds

1. Jul 28, 2015
    Epic multiplayer warfare at the starting price of absolutely nothing. Though battles often feel a little too big, there’s nothing quite like it on PS4.
  2. Jul 23, 2015
    Planetside 2 is entertaining, huge and still a work in progress. It’s certainly worth a go, if you have the available time on your side.
  3. Jul 21, 2015
    As it stands, there's more than enough incentive to give PlanetSide 2 a try; the gunplay is solid, player progression moves along at a rewarding clip, and the intercontinental war is like no other in gaming – even if it lacks a point.