7.7

1. Aug 15, 2014
    When I first started playing Rogue Legacy, I thought to myself that it wouldn't be good for more than 15 minutes at a time, and maybe it was better suited as an iOS game. Then I started getting into it. Then 2 1/2 hours flew by, and I was still playing. It's addictive gameplay, challenging you to get further and further each successive trip. If you like old-school Castlevania games,When I first started playing Rogue Legacy, I thought to myself that it wouldn't be good for more than 15 minutes at a time, and maybe it was better suited as an iOS game. Then I started getting into it. Then 2 1/2 hours flew by, and I was still playing. It's addictive gameplay, challenging you to get further and further each successive trip. If you like old-school Castlevania games, this feels like the genre perfected. The little bits of character added to the game, mostly in the form each successive heroes traits (I found the colorblind characters' black-and-white too be a bit distracting, while the characters with IBS made me giggle), is fun and breaks up some of the tedium. It took me 22 1/2 hours (and 204 deaths) to be the game, and I plan to go right back in with New Game +. For $16, it seems like a steal. One of the best games I've played in 2014, right up there Zelda: Link Between Worlds and Child of Light.

As a note, this game is a grind. Lots of deaths, lots of leveling up, and sometimes you get the feeling that you aren't getting anywhere. If you don't want to grind levels to get your hero stronger, you may want to look elsewhere for you gaming needs.
  2. Feb 17, 2015
    Rogue Legacy has an addictive, fast-paced gameplay. One of the best 2D platform games on PS4. This game will give you dozens of hours of fun. Character traits are awesome and refreshing, making each round unique.
  3. DDP
    May 3, 2015
    Fast and fun, on top of that hard to leave XD. This game is one of the best examples of 2D games and manages to reach levels of fun you would have got only with the Ghost and Goblins games! One of the best purchases ever made! On PS4 is literally my most played game!
  4. Dec 9, 2015
    Rogue Legacy is everything I want in a platformer. It boasts addictive non-stop fun in it's gameplay and with the death/re-birth mechanic with the family tree and the always changing castle it has almost non-stop re-playability in it's first run-through alone. I put hours and hours into this game and enjoyed every minute of it.

The leveling, skill tree, equipment, and runes allow you to

The leveling, skill tree, equipment, and runes allow you to progress at a great pace and I found myself improving as a player at a rate that matched the growing ability of my character. None of it seems overdone and is a fun part of the game. Chiron is a mechanic I am not as much of a fan of however. I would prefer getting less coins in each run-through rather than being forced to spend all my coins after every run, but nonetheless it didn't negatively effect the time I had.

The family tree mechanic is very cool. It adds a very interesting way to explain the life/death cycle of the game, and makes the gameplay interesting as you have to change your play style for each type of character you send into the castle.

The bosses are TOUGH, and it will take several tries to get to the point where you can finally beat the bosses, but after putting the time in it felt so rewarding to me.

The always changing castle was great as well. I would recommend not locking down the castle, as it makes you a better player to just deal with the changes and allows for more fun and excitement with each re-entry.

In closing, this is my favorite indie game on the PS4, and is a game I still pick up very often and put time into.

9.5/10
  5. Dec 24, 2015
    I really try to not rate games a perfect 10/10 but look... I could NOT stop playing Rogue Legacy. I played through the entire game at least 7 or 8 times and could probably jump back in and play it some more now. I lost a lot of sleep over this game; it really gives you that "Just one more life..." desire to keep going.The game is always changing and always challenging. I wholeheartedlyI really try to not rate games a perfect 10/10 but look... I could NOT stop playing Rogue Legacy. I played through the entire game at least 7 or 8 times and could probably jump back in and play it some more now. I lost a lot of sleep over this game; it really gives you that "Just one more life..." desire to keep going.The game is always changing and always challenging. I wholeheartedly recommend it to all players. Expand
  6. Jul 29, 2014
    Game is very addicting so be ready to sit for a long time. Anyways, the game brings originality to its finest. The game itself and the player are always changing, making the person who's playing, change the way he plays everytime you start the game again. The whole point of the game is to fight your way through this almost never ending castle, inevitably dying to start again, as anotherGame is very addicting so be ready to sit for a long time. Anyways, the game brings originality to its finest. The game itself and the player are always changing, making the person who's playing, change the way he plays everytime you start the game again. The whole point of the game is to fight your way through this almost never ending castle, inevitably dying to start again, as another person in your family "legacy", passing down your wealth from your previous playthrough to make the next family member you control stronger and building your castle to achieve better upgrades. Eventually you will meet people along the way, helping you further your quest to finally beating the game(if you ever can). The big kicker is that once you start over, you lose all your wealth by paying the ghost at the door, so spend wisely. Another excellent indie game. (}---{}=======> Expand
  7. Jul 30, 2014
    I'm completed shocked by how much fun this game is. Procedurally created levels has been an alluring concept but ultimately disappointing in 9 out of 10 games that offer it like Cloudberry Kingdom and Daylight (sorry I just couldn't get into them). However, Rogue Legacy hits the nail right on the head for how to do randomized level design. This is easily the best side-scroller I'veI'm completed shocked by how much fun this game is. Procedurally created levels has been an alluring concept but ultimately disappointing in 9 out of 10 games that offer it like Cloudberry Kingdom and Daylight (sorry I just couldn't get into them). However, Rogue Legacy hits the nail right on the head for how to do randomized level design. This is easily the best side-scroller I've played since Symphony of the Night. There are a number of hilarious references to pop culture stuff ranging from fairly obvious to jokes that I can only imagine a small percentage of people will get right away (i.e., reference to the movie UHF but I won't spoil what the joke is). I can't stop playing this game. It is hard but I'm slowly becoming a much better player. While I play lots of games, I'm not great at any of them and this is not so hard that it becomes frustrating. I always feel like I'm progressing and there is so much to do. Really and exceptional and fun game. Expand
  8. Jul 31, 2014
    Really enjoyed this game very enjoyable and alot of fun picking different characters with different traits which mix up gameplay quite alot and they are all part of the same family, you should pick this up for something to play until september
  9. Aug 1, 2014
    Rogue Legacy is endlessly addictive, frustrating, challenging and often hilarious. Every minute with this game is a joy, and I found myself saying "just one more round" 10-15 times in a row. I can't recommend this enough, so just buy it now.
  10. Sep 8, 2014
    Funny, addictive, satisfying and cool. Rogue Legacy is an awesome platformer hack n slash rogue-like that uses the best elements of 8bit platformer action games and adds in a broad range of original and cool ideas.
  11. Mar 29, 2015
    Honestly I'm a bit surprised this game doesn't get more praise. The successor mechanic in the characters you play is highly original and extremely engaging. The controls are very crisp and are completely devoid of stiffness. Having played a lot of MMOs in my time, I'm also a big fan of the talent tree. The difficulty can be pretty brutal in this game and it's not for everyone, asHonestly I'm a bit surprised this game doesn't get more praise. The successor mechanic in the characters you play is highly original and extremely engaging. The controls are very crisp and are completely devoid of stiffness. Having played a lot of MMOs in my time, I'm also a big fan of the talent tree. The difficulty can be pretty brutal in this game and it's not for everyone, as health-replenishing items are few and far between and it's certainly made for the platform veteran. But I just love that the developers of this game turned teeth-clenching difficulty into a rewarding experience, because dying literally makes your character stronger, as opposed to traditionally only making the player stronger as a result of practice. This game is an instant classic for me and deserves every opportunity to be on a great platformers list with its spiritual predecessor Castlevania and similar retro titles. I play every platformer I can get my hands on, and I'm loving this indie trend, so I can say this is my favorite one of the last 10 years. Yes, even with the randomly generated dungeons. I respect that some people feel that gives the game a sense of becoming stale after a while, but many NES/SNES area games were levels of the same design with nothing more than changed aesthetics and mobs. Think about it, there really isn't a stark contrast. I'm not middle-aged (yet) but I was lucky enough to grow up on the NES and SNES consoles, and finding this game was an absolute treat. I'm loving every minute of it.

What keeps me from giving this awesome game a perfect 10 is the game does feel a bit on the short side if you have the skill to cap the tree quickly, which I unfortunately did. The walking through that first room (after the smithy) is annoying as well, just put me immediately in the new dungeon! Really if you add up the 10 seconds it takes you to clear that mob-less room *every time*, it's an absurd amount of time for a screen of the game that does nothing but give you a few free bits of gold.
  12. Apr 9, 2015
    I can easily say that Rogue Legacy is one of the best indies available for PS4. The gameplay is higly challenging and addictive at the same time, the procedurally generated levels and the random traits system make it unpredictable and every playthrough is unique. As of graphics it is simple but stylish, nothing astonishing yet very nice and detailed. This title has even high replay valueI can easily say that Rogue Legacy is one of the best indies available for PS4. The gameplay is higly challenging and addictive at the same time, the procedurally generated levels and the random traits system make it unpredictable and every playthrough is unique. As of graphics it is simple but stylish, nothing astonishing yet very nice and detailed. This title has even high replay value because of the amount of upgrades, equipment and runes available. The castle becomes stronger every time we face it, which makes the game always hard enough to keep the attention level up. Expand
  13. May 7, 2015
    This is one of the best indie games you can buy hands down. Your experience will be exciting with every life because of the random map and random character you will get to choose. The characters are all fun and the combat is great. Only cons I can think of are it can get difficult to purchase upgrades later game because of the perma death aspect, and some of the bosses can be frustrating.This is one of the best indie games you can buy hands down. Your experience will be exciting with every life because of the random map and random character you will get to choose. The characters are all fun and the combat is great. Only cons I can think of are it can get difficult to purchase upgrades later game because of the perma death aspect, and some of the bosses can be frustrating. None the less buy this game! Expand
  14. Nov 6, 2015
    Very fun rogue-like game. If you like platforming RPG action titles, then you'll like this game. Unique and very challenging. Your exploring of the castle is really rewarding, and it's fun to see what's next. The one real thing that doesn't allow this game to become a masterpiece for me is the lack of variety in enemies and challenges, which is a shame, since they could have easily addedVery fun rogue-like game. If you like platforming RPG action titles, then you'll like this game. Unique and very challenging. Your exploring of the castle is really rewarding, and it's fun to see what's next. The one real thing that doesn't allow this game to become a masterpiece for me is the lack of variety in enemies and challenges, which is a shame, since they could have easily added more albeit through DLC or updates. Expand
  15. Jan 18, 2016
    Great indie title with an astonishing level of polishing and design.
    Really interesting rogue like with a retro inspired graphics that try to explore in depth the game mechanics of a platformer with looting, grinding, abilities tree, ecc... The only things I don't like too much is the soundtrack that it's a little bit boring due to a low variety of the tracks.
    Conclusion: if you love the
    Great indie title with an astonishing level of polishing and design.
    Conclusion: if you love the rogue like and if dying a lot is not much a problem, this is the final game for you!
  16. Dec 3, 2014
    Some of the most fun I have had on the ps4. A mix of metroidvania style gaming with dark souls thrown in for good measure. You grind your way through a giant castle collect money, power ups and weapons that you use to improve your characters because everytime you die you have to go back through a randomly generated castle. Its very addictive and not as tedious as it sounds, one of the moreSome of the most fun I have had on the ps4. A mix of metroidvania style gaming with dark souls thrown in for good measure. You grind your way through a giant castle collect money, power ups and weapons that you use to improve your characters because everytime you die you have to go back through a randomly generated castle. Its very addictive and not as tedious as it sounds, one of the more interesting aspects is your lineage were you get three random character classes with random traits that can effect gameplay every time you die. Great fun highly recommend to fans of old school platformers. Expand
  17. Mar 12, 2015
    Rogue Legacy takes a while to get into. At first I hated it. I then learnt how to play and understood the concept of the game, as I progressed and levelled up and learnt enemy attacks and patterns, I soon realised this was a very well made roguelike/Metroid/vania adventure.

You will die a lot, but that is all part of the game. As you progress through the random generated castle you gather gold. Once dead this has to be spent on upgrades, weapons and armour before re-entering, otherwise the gatekeeper takes all your gold. As you level up items become more expensive so staying alive longer and collecting more gold is a must in order to progress.

The music suits the game, the controls are tight and the graphics nice (in a retro style).

Put some time in and you'll enjoy this little gem.
  18. Feb 11, 2015
    Rogue Legacy was surprisingly good! I played this game for over 35 hours and I still can't stop..it's very addictive. With it's retro style it brings back memories of older games. It has a pretty nice story and I like the fact that it was also quite funny at some points. The things I hate most about this game are those Remix Bosses! Spent hours on them, but I gave up after beating two...itRogue Legacy was surprisingly good! I played this game for over 35 hours and I still can't stop..it's very addictive. With it's retro style it brings back memories of older games. It has a pretty nice story and I like the fact that it was also quite funny at some points. The things I hate most about this game are those Remix Bosses! Spent hours on them, but I gave up after beating two...it is just impossible. But overall, it was a good and enjoyful game. Expand
  19. Feb 22, 2015
    When I first booted up Rogue Legacy, I loathed it. It ran slowly, the controls made me feel like I had brain damage, and the art was revolting to look at. When I ran it on a better computer and switched from a keyboard to a controller, my complaints about the game mostly vanished. It reminds me a bit of old Castlevania games in its mechanics and layout, and definitely left me with a retroWhen I first booted up Rogue Legacy, I loathed it. It ran slowly, the controls made me feel like I had brain damage, and the art was revolting to look at. When I ran it on a better computer and switched from a keyboard to a controller, my complaints about the game mostly vanished. It reminds me a bit of old Castlevania games in its mechanics and layout, and definitely left me with a retro feel. The art is still disappointing, and there were some graphical glitches (for some reason the sword vanished from just one of my classes until I attack). I played it through to the end (I skipped the seemingly impossible remix bosses after trying the first two a few times), and feel fine about that decision.

The game is definitely incredibly unforgiving at the beginning, but once you claw your way up to get your characters some competent stats (if you have nothing better to play at the moment), and you get yourself a good feel for the enemies, you can zip through to endgame pretty quickly. Rogue Legacy also employs a clever way of keeping you playing -- You can't spend the gold you earned on your last run without picking your character for the next run, forcing you to feel like you're abandoning a run any time you want to put down the controller. Sneaky. Roguish, even.

After being fooled by a number of games touting themselves as roguelikes, I'd begun to worry that only FTL and Binding of Isaac could pull it off right. Rogue Legacy did a competent job of putting a unique spin on the roguelike class of game and implemented the system well. My hopes are buoyed for another day. While I'm not terribly tempted to replay or go for any achievements, this one turned out to be surprisingly enjoyable and satisfying. A nice "pick-up-and-play" while it lasted.
  20. Mar 7, 2015
    Good game but really very very very hard. After 10-15 hours of playing I just stopped. Unfortunately, I do not have limitless hours for gaming. Although it is highly addictive after some point you find yourself making the same things again and again.
  21. May 2, 2015
    Rogue Legacy is a difficult title but a very entertaining game. A very peculiar old style Roguelike, with a lot to see and a lot to play. And i hope you too enjoy it.
  22. Jul 21, 2015
    I was exited to play this game for a LLOOOONNNGGGG time mainly because I never had a decent computer or a ps4 up in till this point. The game is flawed, but I am glad that I bought it. The controls couldn't be better, the game is fast and addicting, and its basic mechanics are very solid. The goal of the game is to get gold, level up, explore the randomly generated castle, and beat theI was exited to play this game for a LLOOOONNNGGGG time mainly because I never had a decent computer or a ps4 up in till this point. The game is flawed, but I am glad that I bought it. The controls couldn't be better, the game is fast and addicting, and its basic mechanics are very solid. The goal of the game is to get gold, level up, explore the randomly generated castle, and beat the bosses when prepared. Also when your character dies, they do not come back, and you must continue your adventure with one of three children. the game is also very changing, but its deigned around being challenging. However, their are several downsides to the game. There isn't much enemy variety. There are at least 10 different types of mages, 6 different types of skeletons, and 7 different types of floating eyeballs. Also most of the bosses are based on another enemy in the game. These i feel are not very large problems, and there are defiantly more than 3 different types of enemies, but it still holds the game back. If you like fast action 2D platformers, give Rogue Legacy a shot. Expand
  23. Oct 23, 2015
    Engancha, adictivo, quieres seguir jugando. Un juego indie en 2D del cual no querrás parar de jugar, ampliar tus niveles, mejorar tus armas, encantar tus armaduras... Quieres que tus descendientes sean mejores. Todo suena raro hasta que lo juegas.
  24. Uco
    Mar 26, 2017
    Rogue Legacy is an addictive, intense, fast, quite requiring, rogue-like game. I guess I could say it is about vengeance. It takes place inside a castle, whose distribution changes every time, though there always are four fixed differentiated zones ( proper castle is to the left, forest is to the right...).

Each hero has a class (knight, barbarian, sorcerer...) and some unique features, a spell and an ability, Every time you die you choose a new hero from a selection of three of your late hero's descendants, which are generated in a kind of genetic way, mixing characteristics from the father with others that are randomly chosen.

Before entering the castle, you can use the gold earned in your latest run to get skills for your heroes, buy weapons or enchant items. (You are taken away the rest of your gold before entering, so you have to choose the best way to spend it). This helps feeling a sense of progress after every game.

Inside the castle, you'll find documents that grant you access to new items, or some special objects which give you some kind of benefit for the current run. There are some mini-games that can be found inside the castle.

The thing I like the most about Rogue Legacy is the extraordinary sense of humour it has. It is extremely fun and manages to make humour from randomness, with some of the features your character can have being such as Tourettes, baldness, or uncontrollable farting. You'll find yourself laughing at how ridiculous some situations could be.

I definitely recommend this game. Perhaps it is not something you'll sit in front of for hours in a long gaming session, but it is excellent for playing from time to time and feel it is always fresh and funny.
  25. Apr 7, 2017
    Though it does not have as much replay value as I would like, this is still a really fun and challenging game that is definitely worth the purchase. The music is entertaining and a perfect fit for the style of the game. It's hard, but in a way that kept me motivated to continue. I would have enjoyed more and more varied bosses, and the game could have been a little bit longer, butThough it does not have as much replay value as I would like, this is still a really fun and challenging game that is definitely worth the purchase. The music is entertaining and a perfect fit for the style of the game. It's hard, but in a way that kept me motivated to continue. I would have enjoyed more and more varied bosses, and the game could have been a little bit longer, but otherwise, it was really addictive and enjoyable. Expand
  26. Oct 15, 2014
    Good: fun Midevil platform game with great mechanics and a cool death concept. If you own a vita its a perfect cross buy.

Bad: shallow boss creation, repetitive over time

Overall: worth the money and gaming experience to purchase.
  27. Aug 23, 2015
    Enjoyable game, very simple and basic but can end up sinking a lot of hours into it - but it does get a bit repetitive and stale after a while, it could do with a few more features as it feels like something is missing.
  28. Mar 8, 2016
    A rogue-like game with an old-school style of gameplay reminiscent of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Like most rogue-likes death is permanent and level layouts are randomized upon death. The game puts some twists on it by having you play as your character's descendant upon death. Not only do things like experience and items carry over, but each one has their own special traits.

However outside

However outside of what class that feature doesn't really do much. I really didn't notice in difference between a character who had OCD and one who didn't. The traits mostly just act as little jokes that don't really affect gameplay at all.

In order to make any progress in this game is to grab as much gold and find as many unlockables like armor blueprints and runes before you die. That way you can use them to make your next characters stronger and make real progress towards the end of the game. While the difficulty itself is not an issue it doesn't help the fact that some runs are going to be fruitless. Sometimes you'll die shortly after entering due to getting a particularly brutal castle layout and other times the stuff you need just won't spawn in a helpful amount.

It can lead to runs that just end up feeling like a waste of time. The game works in a way that allows for bursts of gameplay that last for only a few minutes or much longer playthroughs. In order to make real progress you are going to have to put some time into this. So it sucks to achieve nothing in a run when I could have been doing something that actually would have bared some fruit.

Everything works fine, but often I felt like I was just wasting my time and not in the way I typically want to with video games. Still it's one that many are going to enjoy sinking many hours into. The way the cross-save feature is handled by automatic uploads is an excellent way to switch between consoles. I do have to say that I think the game feels much more at home on the PS3 and 4 as opposed to Vita, because the controls are more fluid and responsive.
  29. Jul 19, 2016
    Really enjoyable for about 5-10 hours. Very repetitive. Pretty standard repetitive 2D rogue lite. Not my type of game as I got bored and moved on. Good controls and fun power ups.
  30. Feb 9, 2015
    Rogue Legacy is a game with good controls, good graphics and an amazing soundtrack, but the only problem about it is that it's too frustrating, you die so fast, everything is there to kill you, the castle is never the same, and if you die, you go back to the main screen! The only way to get progress in this game is to get upgrades, but they are very expensive and you don't get too manyRogue Legacy is a game with good controls, good graphics and an amazing soundtrack, but the only problem about it is that it's too frustrating, you die so fast, everything is there to kill you, the castle is never the same, and if you die, you go back to the main screen! The only way to get progress in this game is to get upgrades, but they are very expensive and you don't get too many coins through the game, and to enter the castle you have to give away all the coins you have, so many times you will just be losing your time. It's ridiculous and very stressful.

But also it's very addictive, sometimes fun, and it's very rewarding to get somewhere or beat a boss.
  31. Feb 8, 2015
    The game was great up to the point where you had literally nothing left to do. this could have been made into an "endless" game with much replayability but they just decided to cap the "skill tree" and thats just it.
  32. Feb 24, 2015
    Can't get into this type of game. Guess I burned out on these 20+ years ago, and I seem to remember they were better back then. Constantly dying just to go run and jump and poke some things again, in a jumbled castle with no personality at all....no thanks. I'll just keep my Milton's Secret Castle memories and go find a better game to play with a bit more interesting gameplay to it.Can't get into this type of game. Guess I burned out on these 20+ years ago, and I seem to remember they were better back then. Constantly dying just to go run and jump and poke some things again, in a jumbled castle with no personality at all....no thanks. I'll just keep my Milton's Secret Castle memories and go find a better game to play with a bit more interesting gameplay to it.
    Enjoy it if that's your thing, but my personal review score is abysmal.

1. Apr 1, 2015
    I would go so far as to say that Rogue Legacy is the greatest Metroidvania game I have ever played. It may sound like an extremely controversial opinion, but as it stands, this definitely tops the list as far as I’m concerned.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Sep 29, 2014
    Brutally compelling and utterly essential. [Oct 2014, p.91]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Sep 19, 2014
    It's like a 2D Dark Souls with randomising traps and crappy heroes. Funny, brutal, essential.. [October 2014, p76]