7.5

1. Oct 27, 2014
    In a world of regenerating health and 2 weapon limits this is EXACTLY what we need. reminders of the 90s where shooters raised us to expect great things of them. Shadow warrior Isn't perfect and if nostalgia isn't a factor for you you can drop my score from a 9 to an 8 easy, and its a bit too long (try saying that to a triple A title) but the weapons are unique and its fun to kill thingsIn a world of regenerating health and 2 weapon limits this is EXACTLY what we need. reminders of the 90s where shooters raised us to expect great things of them. Shadow warrior Isn't perfect and if nostalgia isn't a factor for you you can drop my score from a 9 to an 8 easy, and its a bit too long (try saying that to a triple A title) but the weapons are unique and its fun to kill things and and thats what counts, its still not quite oldschool tot he extent i want it to be, levels tend to be series of long arena battles tied together, although not always and you wont be too botherd by it because the combat is fun Expand
  2. Nov 17, 2014
    I am really digging the game. I played the original many years ago and the developers made sure they placed some subtle nuances into this version. Shooting the rabbits to reveal the black rabbit is a definite cross-over. The tongue and cheek comments from Wang aren't as funny, but I enjoy the conversations between him and the demon mask.

I do find it quite difficult at times, trying

I do find it quite difficult at times, trying to cast magic while running for my life gets a little confusing at times, for me at least.

The hidden women from the original game are in there as well, and I am saying the original 16 bit women. :-) Just listen for the music and singing and you will find them.

For $40.00 it's a good solid game.
  3. Dec 22, 2014
    Not sure why the rating is a 70, since this game is basically an old school shooter, with cutscenes.

The story is fun, the combat is fun and mostly everything about this game is fun. The humor is a little bland, but doesn't really hurt the game at all.

If you are considering buying this game, I'd give my full recommendations.
  4. Feb 22, 2015
    Old school FPS fun, great humor and so many enemies to kill. Surely underrated, I had to pick it on a psn sale as I wasn't sure what to expect. If you find it at a good price and like killing things with various cool ways, just get it.
  5. Jan 30, 2015
    Fun hack & slash FPS. Bright colors, big explosions, and gory demons. Gameplay feels smooth and the throwback style makes for good quick entertainment. (pick it up on a sale)
  6. Nov 17, 2014
    Surprise of the Year!
    You go on a Massacre Killing Spree with brutal Weapons + Upgrades.
    The story is nothing to talk about its about the easy Gameplay and Weapon Handling what is great. When the crowds of Demons or sometimes Human arrive from nowhere i became a smirk on my face;) cause you can Shredder them with you Katana like Pinatas or blow them, toast them or use the
    Surprise of the Year!
    You go on a Massacre Killing Spree with brutal Weapons + Upgrades.

When the crowds of Demons or sometimes Human arrive from nowhere i became a smirk on my face;) cause you can Shredder them with you Katana like Pinatas or blow them, toast them or use the environment explosion Kills.

Definitely watiing for Shadow Warrior 2.
  7. Dec 10, 2014
    I had a blast with this game. It offers an old school feeling, fun sword combat, and a variety of guns that'll have a blast shooting demons to bits with. With a $40 price tag, you can't go wrong. If you like 3D realms humor, you need to play this just for that. The graphics aren't great, but they are good. The game is a little long, some parts feeling stretched out.. but that's a goodI had a blast with this game. It offers an old school feeling, fun sword combat, and a variety of guns that'll have a blast shooting demons to bits with. With a $40 price tag, you can't go wrong. If you like 3D realms humor, you need to play this just for that. The graphics aren't great, but they are good. The game is a little long, some parts feeling stretched out.. but that's a good thing in hindsight. As it gives you even more bang for your buck. Add that with searching for all the secrets and running new game +, what you have is a fairly good game. Not great. But good. Expand
  8. Feb 19, 2015
    Para quem gosta de jogos da década de 90, este é um ótimo jogo.
    Um jogo que lembra muito da atmosfera old-school. Simplesmente viciante e apaixonante.
    Zerei recentemente em meu ps4 e pretendo zerar outras vezes.
    8,5/10
  9. Oct 22, 2014
    awesome, lots of awesome. too much awesome for $40. its old school fun, a la serious sam and wolfenstein. the graphics are decent, but not amazing. the colors are nice and the frame rate is a nearly consistent 60 though. the guns feel right, the upgrades are interesting, and the level design is simple with a few rewarding secrets scattered through out. did I mention it's hilarious?awesome, lots of awesome. too much awesome for $40. its old school fun, a la serious sam and wolfenstein. the graphics are decent, but not amazing. the colors are nice and the frame rate is a nearly consistent 60 though. the guns feel right, the upgrades are interesting, and the level design is simple with a few rewarding secrets scattered through out. did I mention it's hilarious? if you have 40 bucks to drop and you want to return (however briefly) to the world of old school PC shoot em ups, then this game is for you. aweeeeeeeeesome! Expand
  10. Jun 23, 2015
    I already finished Bloodborne, The Last of Us Remastered and now Shadow Warrior on my PS4. Gues which title gave me the most fun?
    Actually Shadow Warrior definitely is not better than TLOUR and especially Bloodborne. There are minor bugs here and there, You cant compare A/V in those titles because its clearly not same level.
    But its what it was supposed to be. Pure mindless fun. And I
    But its what it was supposed to be. Pure mindless fun. And I even enjoyed the story more than in TLOUR - maybe dumber but feels a lot more fresh than another zombie flick. I love oneliners, fortune telling cookies, but most of all I love this old school feel of combat.
    This game is much like summer blockbuster from Michael Bay so if Youre in to this kind of entertainment Youll love it. I know I am, now give me bigger better Shadow Warrior 2!
    Btw. Devolver Digital rises to one of my favourite companies on the gaming industry.
  11. dpc
    Nov 5, 2014
    Great game, especially if you played and loved the original. As a huge FPS and RPG fan, I was looking for something that had great action and fun upgrades and leveling. I was planning on this, but went with Lords of the Fallen to satisfy my Skyrim itch. It sucked. I returned it and got this. Should've gone with it originally like I planned! Great upgrading and leveling, amazing gameplayGreat game, especially if you played and loved the original. As a huge FPS and RPG fan, I was looking for something that had great action and fun upgrades and leveling. I was planning on this, but went with Lords of the Fallen to satisfy my Skyrim itch. It sucked. I returned it and got this. Should've gone with it originally like I planned! Great upgrading and leveling, amazing gameplay and action, interesting and engaging story. The graphics are good (definitely next-gen), but nowhere near the level of AAA games. That doesn't take away from the enjoyment. Plus it's long, very challenging and very funny. Well worth the 40 bucks. Expand
  12. Sep 29, 2015
    Like the reboot of Wolfenstein and the coming Doom, Shadow Warrior is one of those old-school shooting games that comes back from hell to kick our mind and remind us that they were too damned fun to play to disappear.

Well in the case of Shadow Warrior there is some minor errors that will get in the way of the ultimate fun, specially from the technical side, the graphics aren't good for a PS4 game and even with average graphics the game suffers of framerate drops, very long loading times and the most annoying things of all, bugs and one in particular that will stop Lo Wang (your character) to do any attacks and force you to kill yourself. I hope Flying Wild Dog will do better in the future.
    I'd also like more originality in level design for future games, Shadow Warrior lacks some sequences that will not allow the player to fall in the routine of "I enter in a room, I kill everything, I collect some health and ammo, I go to the other room,..." thanks god there is 3 boss in the game that will change that but that's it.

But make no mistake I have a lot of fun playing the game, the story is actually pretty cool, the guns are very very fun and very different from one to another, so that you may kill demons the way you enjoy it most (my personal favorite was the katana) the difficulty is a true challenge in the hardest modes, there is a lot of collectibles (with hilarious fortune cookies) and some nice skills to learn. I really enjoyed my time those 15 hours it took me to finish the game.

Shadow Warrior is definitely a good game and makes honor to the Old School genre, but there is also some room until it becomes a reference for the FPS genre, maybe its sequel will hit this target, wait and see.
  13. Mar 10, 2015
    I had a blast playing this game. The closest thing i'd compare it with is perhaps, Bulletstorm, very over the top. Old school feel, lots of inside jokes, kinda silly humor, throw backs to 90s gaming nostalgia. Tons of secrets - and usually straying from the main path will yield a reward. The story is pretty good - not gonna blow you away, but it's good enough. Art is well done, likeI had a blast playing this game. The closest thing i'd compare it with is perhaps, Bulletstorm, very over the top. Old school feel, lots of inside jokes, kinda silly humor, throw backs to 90s gaming nostalgia. Tons of secrets - and usually straying from the main path will yield a reward. The story is pretty good - not gonna blow you away, but it's good enough. Art is well done, like the cut scenes - liked the end, For such a cheesy premise you do care about the characters a bit. Overall it's worth a buy especially if you snag it on sale. My main criticism is that sometimes it can feel a bit long, there is a bit of a pacing issue with a few of the levels, sometimes it can be confusing to figure out where you need to go. (perhaps an arrow like bioshock would solve this? but it might break the oldschool feeling they created) Overall if you're in the mood for a shooter/slasher it's worth your time and money. Certainly one of the top FPS on PS4 as far as FUN factor is concerned. Expand
  14. Nov 25, 2014
    Underneath all of that unnecessary and blinding bloom on your screen, Shadow Warrior is definitely a functional FPHS (First Person Hack and Shoot). Best described as a modern homage to shooters of old, where characters could hold all the weapons they wanted and waypoints weren't in the vernacular, Shadow Warrior does what it sets out to do mildly well and provides a demon-slayingUnderneath all of that unnecessary and blinding bloom on your screen, Shadow Warrior is definitely a functional FPHS (First Person Hack and Shoot). Best described as a modern homage to shooters of old, where characters could hold all the weapons they wanted and waypoints weren't in the vernacular, Shadow Warrior does what it sets out to do mildly well and provides a demon-slaying experience that's more about running around like a madman than hiding behind cover. The game provides the standard FPS-fare for weapons but the undeniable star is Wang's katana, which players will probably use to paint the walls red 70% of their experience with the game.

Unfortunately, Shadow Warrior suffers pretty terribly from pacing issues, or perhaps simply overstays its welcome. Near the last quarter of the game, gameplay noticeably degenerates into walking into a room or corridor, killing the exact same enemies en masse, looking for the gold-tinged door that leads to a room that was copy-pasted from the room you just left, and repeating the massacre. Not only does this leave a pretty bad taste in one's mouth, it also makes you realize that maybe chopping demons up with a katana is neither as fun nor as memorable as you want it to be.

15. Jan 17, 2015
    This game is incredibly fun and colourful, although many of face models look like they belong on the ps2, the world is detailed and vibrant. You will find yourself mainly using the sword because it is easily the most fun to use, being able to chop off individual limbs. The rest of the weapons I found weren't good at all and terrible to use, I found myself only ever using them when I wasThis game is incredibly fun and colourful, although many of face models look like they belong on the ps2, the world is detailed and vibrant. You will find yourself mainly using the sword because it is easily the most fun to use, being able to chop off individual limbs. The rest of the weapons I found weren't good at all and terrible to use, I found myself only ever using them when I was forced. The story is fairly average as well, same with the characters constantly making sarcastic remarks and dated references. If you're looking for a fun H&S game this is an easy buy. Expand
  16. Jul 5, 2015
    I find it hard to find anything positive to say about the game. The humor is funny, perhaps? The most frustrating thing are the controls. Double tap in one direction with the stick and then press another key? Hello? I got it working about once every six times, which lead to extremely frustrating experience when you'd need to use one of the ki-strikes in a tight spot. I ended up deletingI find it hard to find anything positive to say about the game. The humor is funny, perhaps? The most frustrating thing are the controls. Double tap in one direction with the stick and then press another key? Hello? I got it working about once every six times, which lead to extremely frustrating experience when you'd need to use one of the ki-strikes in a tight spot. I ended up deleting the game because of that -- I've never done that before, ha, ha! Gaming's supposed to be fun, not annoying! Maybe it's just me, but over the 20+ years of playing video games, I've never felt this frustrated. Thankfully I only paid a few dollars for the game when it was on sale. Again, it could be just me, but this is a strong no buy from my perspective. Spend your money on another game. Expand
  17. Oct 22, 2014
    meh, lots of meh. Too much meh for $40. Need more characters to pad this review out. That's how meh. meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.
  18. Oct 25, 2014
    I like my first person shooters, a lot. Every so often its nice to play a mindless shooter, but this game is just far too sh1t to recommend anyone to play. The graphics are like last generation. The physics are slow to respond. The voice over is just lazy and the actual old school gameplay is boring. I turned this off when I came across an exploding bicycle cart and vending machines. II like my first person shooters, a lot. Every so often its nice to play a mindless shooter, but this game is just far too sh1t to recommend anyone to play. The graphics are like last generation. The physics are slow to respond. The voice over is just lazy and the actual old school gameplay is boring. I turned this off when I came across an exploding bicycle cart and vending machines. I felt as though you had to put time and effort into this game to see any sort of enjoyment out of it. The first 2 hours of gameplay just dragged along, by far the worst game I have played on the PS4. I'm surprised Devolver Digital had anything to do with this game. Hotline Miami is such a great game, Shadow Warrior however, is not. 2/10 for a lazy effort. Expand
  19. Mar 23, 2015
    Overall, good fun to play. Games are meant to be fun after all. All these crap comments about story or colours or how many friends on their friend list are just nonsense. This game was on special on Playstation store for $25 and I got at least $50 worth of fun out of it.
  20. Mar 18, 2015
    The game proper? 7/10 The developer and publisher? Big fat 0/10.
    The game proper? 7/10 The developer and publisher? Big fat 0/10.
    There is a bug on PS4 where if you have too many friends in your Friends list (I think over 100?) the game will crash unless you stay signed out of PSN when you launch it and the whole time you are playing. I have sent countless e-mails, tweets, and Facebook posts to the developers and publishers but they have made clear they are simply "not interested" in fixing this massive bug in both the retail and digital copies because "few people" are affected. Yeah right! New posts pop up on Facebook all the time with people having this same problem. I even told them its related to the friends list and how someone deleted all their friends to fix the issue. And how my alt account with 0 friends doesn't have the issue. But they still have no interest in fixing it. So, I have no interest in buying any more of their games or in giving them a fair review. SHAME ON YOU Devolver Digital and Flying Wild Hog. SHAME ON YOU.
  21. May 25, 2016
    all the feelings in this games are poor !!!!! the feelings of guns are poor, the feeling of the sword is poor.... The graphics are lame.... do not buy this crap.
  22. Jun 24, 2015
    This game is one of those rare gems where almost everything is perfect. Stunning graphics, wonderful characters, good story, plenty of weapons and upgrades, comedy, and gore to the maximum. Killing hordes of demons has never been more satisfying or humorous.
  23. Oct 25, 2015
    Dated, immature, repetitive and fun. Shadow Warrior knows what it is and isn't afraid of being it. Thing is after 3 or 4 chapters you've seen it all. The upgrade system is shockingly unnecessary and is one of the handful of reasons I couldn't be bothered finishing it.
  24. Jul 11, 2016
    Great graphics
    Great performance
    Great sword-fighting mechanics
    Fun weapons
    Funny story and characters

If you enjoyed the DOOM or Wolfenstein: The New Order then there is a high chance that you will like this game as well. Arcady shooter FTW!
  25. Oct 25, 2014
    A very welcome addition to the PlayStation 4 game library. At first i was going to buy this one from Steam-store, but for reasons unknown i did not. I enjoyed the original a lot when it came out back in the days, and this remaster shares a lot of the same magic the original had. Graphics and audio are nice enough, lots of gore, game-play is golden and the humor is alright. So nothing mindA very welcome addition to the PlayStation 4 game library. At first i was going to buy this one from Steam-store, but for reasons unknown i did not. I enjoyed the original a lot when it came out back in the days, and this remaster shares a lot of the same magic the original had. Graphics and audio are nice enough, lots of gore, game-play is golden and the humor is alright. So nothing mind blowing, but for a old-school games fans a guaranteed good time. There are some performance problems occasionally tough, some levels even drop down to a crawl. And i use a 1Tb 840 EVO SSD in my PS4, so i usually get slightly better performance than the gamers with stock 5400 rpm hdd. In this case however the problem seems to lie deep inside the game (engine?) itself i think, so hopefully future patches fix these issues. Without the problems i would give this a 8.5 easily, for the sake of memories and nostalgic reasons. Expand
  26. Nov 11, 2015
    I love it when a new gen game takes me back to the dawn of the first person shooters. A time when it didn't matter if the game had a good story or if the developers hired Kevin Spacey as a character or if the game has amazing cut scene visuals, all what matter is killing hoards of bad guys with an awesome arsenal. It's has good graphics, classic game play and a SAMURAI SWORD. It's cheap go buy it.
  27. Sep 27, 2015
    I've never played the original Shadow Warrior for the PC from the 90's, but for a modernized version it's a pretty solid FPS. The graphics are very nice and in some parts beautiful. The voice acting is ok. Full of cheesy dirty jokes which are the charm of the game I suppose. The sound design is pretty ok, nothing really stands out though. The combat is nice mixing swordplay with guns andI've never played the original Shadow Warrior for the PC from the 90's, but for a modernized version it's a pretty solid FPS. The graphics are very nice and in some parts beautiful. The voice acting is ok. Full of cheesy dirty jokes which are the charm of the game I suppose. The sound design is pretty ok, nothing really stands out though. The combat is nice mixing swordplay with guns and different upgrades and abilities you give Lo Wang. Which brings me to the upgrades and powers. You can upgrade your guns and sword and abilities with in-game currency, karma points for getting new skills, and Ki crystals for getting new powers. So it has RPG elements too. Good news for classic FPS players: health packs instead of regenerating health. The enemy AI for the most part is ok. Sometimes taking cover, other times running head-on at you. The different environments look good but none of them really stood out and made me say "I like this level" except for maybe 2 or 3 of them. Gameplay can become repetitive if you're not mixing up your combat enough. The bosses in the game with the exception for the final boss are very forgettable. They look nice but the environment is practically the same, again not including the final boss. Basically, this a 90's game with nicer graphics. Some like it, others don't. I'm a person that happens to like it for the most part. It's definitely worth playing. A buy for hardcore fans of old school shooters or collector's looking for a solid game to add to their collection. But for everyone else it's probably a rent. Expand
  28. Jul 25, 2016
    A very enjoyable game, late 90's FPS style with slight RPG character perks. Reminds me heaps of Serious Sam2. You can play 99% of the game using just the melee weapon if you want which makes a nice change.

Downsides are - textures are not very good (game is only an 8 gig install) and the 60 fps framerate often drops. Feels like a lazy port of the PC version - im guessing its only using 4 of the PS4's eight CPU cores.
  29. Jun 9, 2017
    This is one of those games that I can BARELY recommend but I also have to warn that you WILL experience frustration with the game at some point, possibly a lot. (I actually had to go back and edit this review after playing the game longer and drop the score.) Several annoying issues. By far the biggest problem is the level design, LOTS of going back and forth (like old pc games from whenThis is one of those games that I can BARELY recommend but I also have to warn that you WILL experience frustration with the game at some point, possibly a lot. (I actually had to go back and edit this review after playing the game longer and drop the score.) Several annoying issues. By far the biggest problem is the level design, LOTS of going back and forth (like old pc games from when level size was limited), and while the art style is cool, locations within one map often look indistinguishable from others. I would say this game is worth $15 in 2017 and not a penny more, because the enjoyment you get out of the small amount of humor, the slightly interesting story, the fun chaotic gameplay, is unabashedly mixed with **** level design, repetition upon repetition upon repetition, and periodic visual problems like frame rate jutter, or the mountain textures on one of the last levels, like ohhhh myyyy they forgot to put them in lol. You know, the saddest part about this game, other than the huge potential completely wasted, is that I couldn't even finish it, it was already dragging, and after 12 hours (since I like to find the hidden secrets) I could not bring myself to finish the last couple missions even though I knew there would be a cool boss fight. Not worth it. At that point the game had become pure grinding, a chore, a session of doing the same few things over and over and over to unlock doors so you can unlock doors so you can unlock doors so you can kill demons so you can unlock doors so you JUMP OFF A FREAKIN BRIDGE LOL 5/10 Expand

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Dec 28, 2014
    It's undeniably simple. [Christmas 2014, p.88]
  2. Games Master UK
    Dec 21, 2014
    The 'humour' occasionally feels flat. [Christmas 2014, p.78]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Nov 28, 2014
    It may need help to stand tall, but when it's pumped with blood, it rocks. [Christmas 2014, p76]