5.2

1. May 12, 2017
    After two years of letting Toys For Bob handle the development of the "Skylanders" franchise, Activision decided to hand off the development of the threequel, "Skylanders: Swap Force," to Vicarious Visions. How did they handle the transition? Wonderfully, and in my eyes, they managed to create what might actually be the best game in the Skylanders series.
    There's a lot going for this
    There's a lot going for this game: it's beautiful, it's well-written, it's funny, it's charming, the characters are great, it's fun to play, the platforming is improved (YOU CAN JUMP NOW!!!) and the fun RPG-like elements are still there, and the level design is pretty great! And considering that the game is much longer and beefier than the pretty short "Giants," it's essentially everything you could want out of a "Skylanders" game!
    Well...almost. After "Giants" introduced Skystones, which was a pretty fun part of the game, "Swap Force" decided to take it out, which kinda sucks. It's not a big deal, but it's kinda sad. What IS a big deal is how much more you'll be paying this time around. There are now quite a few more figures available, and on top of that, in this game you will need QUITE A FEW new characters if you want to complete the game fully. Not only that, but there's no Portal Owner's Pack this time around, because apparently the old portal can't detect the new "Swap Force" Skylanders' top-halves. Kinda strange, in my eyes, but whatever you say, Activision. So basically, you'll need to pay a bit more from the jump this time around to get what is essentially the same portal (just slimmer and lighter).
    "Skylanders: Swap Force" marks the point in the series where the cash-grabbing started to become a bit more cynical. Even so, it also marks the apex of the series (Giants is my personal favorite, but this one is the most all-around well-made and most polished), and it's definitely a game that comes highly recommend (so long as your wallet is ready).
    Final rating: 9 out of 10 "Awesome"
  2. May 19, 2015
    TIP : Buy these franchises a year behind their release. Ive just moved my son into the skylanders swapforce from giants and it has worked out amazingly for us but I know its not the case for many people who have this game. We paid 15 bucks for starter pack and 15 for 4 used skylanders that all looked brand new at Game Stop. By doing this he was able to unlock almost all the content in gameTIP : Buy these franchises a year behind their release. Ive just moved my son into the skylanders swapforce from giants and it has worked out amazingly for us but I know its not the case for many people who have this game. We paid 15 bucks for starter pack and 15 for 4 used skylanders that all looked brand new at Game Stop. By doing this he was able to unlock almost all the content in game without need for more money spent. In truth it will be about 60 total by the time he has everything he needs but that's how much a new game cost anyway. Except he didn't get just a disc he now has 7 new action figures tons of stickers and a poster. The game is very fun dungeon crawler style game. Also has an arena mode which has been very very fun. Like if these games were not marketed the way they were you would see competitive PvP grow in this game. Go to your local gamestop find someone who knows about the game and how to make it chapest set up possible and you wont be disappointed with this game. The same set up we got for 30 apparently was around 110 total when this came out in 2013 Expand
  3. Dec 25, 2013
    Surprisingly fun game. First skylanders game I've tried. the beautiful graphics and assortment of environments in the game really show off the PS4's power. With a bunch of other game modes to try, Post game will keep you sucked in. Only have a few gripes, like having to listen to an npc everytime i want to learn new skills. Story is kind of cheesy and generic but I'll cut it some slackSurprisingly fun game. First skylanders game I've tried. the beautiful graphics and assortment of environments in the game really show off the PS4's power. With a bunch of other game modes to try, Post game will keep you sucked in. Only have a few gripes, like having to listen to an npc everytime i want to learn new skills. Story is kind of cheesy and generic but I'll cut it some slack being targeted towards kids and all but still. Expand

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 3, 2014
    Looks marginally better than the PS3 version. That's about it. [February 2014, p83]
  2. Feb 18, 2014
    The swappable characters add a nice new mechanic and jumping is finally in. The PlayStation 4 version looks solid with better textures and resolution. It's fun for the whole family, but can be an expensive investment if your kid wants to unlock every level in the game.
  3. Dec 30, 2013
    A great and humorous story, colourful environments, deep campaign and swappable characters make this a great game you shouldn't miss.