7.3

1. May 23, 2014
    What it is about this game, I don't know, but I find it to be fantastic. It's extremely addicting and I have to admit, from the second I started it, I didn't stop until it was finished, except for getting something to eat. It is some kind of mix between spelunky and those free to play games on gaming sites where you have to collect gold and then upgrade some in order to continue. It worksWhat it is about this game, I don't know, but I find it to be fantastic. It's extremely addicting and I have to admit, from the second I started it, I didn't stop until it was finished, except for getting something to eat. It is some kind of mix between spelunky and those free to play games on gaming sites where you have to collect gold and then upgrade some in order to continue. It works like a charm.

It is also amazing how bugless the game is. I haven't encountered a single one of them. However, it isn't all good. The game is rather short and, to be honest, way too easy. It's nowhere challenging even remotely and eventually you will just go rambo-style because even if you die, you won't lose anything worthwhile. I have to admit that I like the games that are damn near impossible, so it could be just me, but I find it to be the game biggest downside.

Strangely enough it didn't prevent me from loving it in it's entirely. I feel somewhat sad the ride is already over and the game lacks any replayability. No additional content, which is a shame.

Overall, I'd give it an 8.5
  2. Apr 6, 2014
    If you like Metroid, Motherload, or Terraria, you'll like (or absolutely love) SteamWorld: Dig. I personally loved all three of those games, and the loving combination of them all here by Image & Form was quite the enjoyable experience for me. Taking elements from each of these games, you'll mine to earn upgrades like in Motherload, find upgrades so you can unlock more progression like inIf you like Metroid, Motherload, or Terraria, you'll like (or absolutely love) SteamWorld: Dig. I personally loved all three of those games, and the loving combination of them all here by Image & Form was quite the enjoyable experience for me. Taking elements from each of these games, you'll mine to earn upgrades like in Motherload, find upgrades so you can unlock more progression like in Metroid, and have multiple tools for mining and combat like in Terarria. Not to mention the story has some interesting tones and actually leaves a bit of an impact for a short game.

So yes, it's short. But that's a good thing. It does everything it wants to, and then when it's done that, it leaves you to finish the game. There is no unnecessary fluff. I played through the game, acquiring all upgrades in a single play through the first time in 4-5 hours, and I loved every minute of my time. I even went back and played it again to do a perfect run: Beating the game in less than 2.5 hours without dying and with all upgrades. Then, after that, because I was so in love with the game, I downloaded it on my Vita (Yes, it's cross-buy!) And did it all again, just like on my PS4.

The only complaint that I have about the game is that the (good) music gets repetitive; There isn't enough variety. Otherwise, the game is flawless. The upgrade progression is great and feels good, the combat is satisfying as intended, mining is addictive, the story is interesting, and the art style looks great. Absolutely worth the price.
  3. Mar 20, 2014
    Got this today and I was surprised to enjoy it as much as I did, it is fun for some but it will not be for everyone and that is for sure, I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys playing indie games
  4. Mar 28, 2014
    First I must admit that I am definitely a semi-graphics whore. Based on that, the deep level of numbing addiction that I fall into while playing this game is just unreal. It never fails that while playing this game I unknowingly forget to blink enough to keep my eyes lubed, and end up with a stuck eyelid. There a few and very far between games that induce that level of distraction inFirst I must admit that I am definitely a semi-graphics whore. Based on that, the deep level of numbing addiction that I fall into while playing this game is just unreal. It never fails that while playing this game I unknowingly forget to blink enough to keep my eyes lubed, and end up with a stuck eyelid. There a few and very far between games that induce that level of distraction in me. Repetition would be the only negative, except it doesn't generally get to that point. Great value for the asking price! Expand
  5. Apr 2, 2014
    SteamWorld Dig is brilliantly addictive in an old-school fashion. It doesn't have the most elegant visuals but it has something more important, the FUN FACTOR! For the price I got it at (£7 odd on PSN with a PS Plus discount) it is sooooooo WORTH THE PRICE! I implore you to PURCHASE THIS GAME, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT! 9.5/10!!!
  6. Nov 7, 2014
    This game looks nice, has funny little robot characters and was obviously a labour of love from the developers point of view, but the awkward controls and annoying timers make it ultimately annoying and a candidate for RSI-inducing game of the year
  7. Nov 15, 2014
    I found this game incredibly boring - you spend a large portion of your time backtracking. The mine itself is repetitive and dosent have many unique elements.
  8. Dec 18, 2014
    I'm glad I got this game with PS+. However, while it was fun for the first half it got frustrating after a while. And while combat and story isn't important at all during the game, in the end you suddenly get to fight an endboss. I don't get why you have to fight an endboss in a game where the combat was the least satisfying part of the game. Good effort though and I hope Image & Form'sI'm glad I got this game with PS+. However, while it was fun for the first half it got frustrating after a while. And while combat and story isn't important at all during the game, in the end you suddenly get to fight an endboss. I don't get why you have to fight an endboss in a game where the combat was the least satisfying part of the game. Good effort though and I hope Image & Form's next game gets it right. Expand
  9. May 27, 2014
    If this game was more like Terraria, it would be a 10 no doubt. Has the same concept as Terraria, but its laid out for you. The game basically tells you excatly what to do next and by the time the final boss comes up, your so strong, that its a joke. Would of liked to see more from this game. Still a good game tho. 4 to 10 hours of game play
  10. Jan 3, 2015
    One of my unexpected favorites from 2014. Nice charm and fun gameplay. Perfect to pick up in small doses. It's unique. It's relaxing. This is my go to game to chill out on before going to bed.
  11. May 21, 2014
    Fun as any casual/indie game. It doesn't go beyond that. The story is there just to get you by. If this was released on amiga, comodore 64 or supernintendo or in the 80s/90s it will probably get a 9 or 10 but I can't believe this indie games get 9 or anything above a 7 when its not on par with a system like the xbox 1 or ps4. It can't even compete with last generation console games. PeopleFun as any casual/indie game. It doesn't go beyond that. The story is there just to get you by. If this was released on amiga, comodore 64 or supernintendo or in the 80s/90s it will probably get a 9 or 10 but I can't believe this indie games get 9 or anything above a 7 when its not on par with a system like the xbox 1 or ps4. It can't even compete with last generation console games. People keep praising the indie games I think they are just good enough for a few minutes or hours of fun and that's it. Expand
  12. Nov 28, 2014
    I was thinking this would be a subpar freebie from the PS+ sub but I gotta say it is a pretty good throw back to the 8-bit and 16-bit days. It really reminded me of a lot of SNES games but with much better graphics.

Pro's - It was free; Addictive trying to find the gems; Simple controls; encourages different styles of play through achievements (speed, explore, strategic, etc) and requirement to maintain resources; Decent puzzles - none super challenge but if you mess up you may run out of resource to see where you are going; Lots of ways to die; lots of bright colours make it look inviting

Cons - Exploring can be repetitive; Combat is a little boring; no clue what the actual story is

Overall, I would say this is one of those games you either get for free or pick up on a sale on the PC (steam - though I would prefer playing with controller) or PS-store. Don't spend more than a $5 bucks on it. I am sure there is replay value but I will likely delete it after a single pass through. If you like exploring games with puzzles, this game is for you. If you get bored running back to random check points or holding a single button to break blocks, save your time and money.
  13. Mar 7, 2015
    Do you not have any job? or study? Do you play lots of games and finish all the PS4 and PC games that reallly have some sort of fun? Then STEAMWORLD is a perfect bargain for you. MEANINGLESS DIGGING of hours, boring fights, nonexistant scenario. I just have 1 precious hour/day for gaming and it is not even every day. So sorry I do not spend time for tunnel digging and back tracking.
  14. Nov 6, 2014
    Very fun game but can only take it in small bursts. The graphics of course arent the stand out or the story but you do want to keep digging and finding those treasures. I finished it in two days and even tho there wasn't much to the gameplay the upgrade system keeps you wanting more. Very well made game in all areas.
  15. Nov 10, 2014
    I totally enjoy this game. It is simple and lacks modern graphics, but is worth playing. I downloaded it just because it was free with my PS+ Membership, and I have put a few hours on it. I would recommend downloading this if you want an easy, fun game to play for 30 minutes at a time.
  16. Nov 11, 2014
    SteamWorld Dig is fun to play but it is too short. It takes a few hours to go to the end.

Graphics 7/10
    Music 7/10
    Gameplay 7/10

My overall score is 7
  17. Nov 10, 2014
    Great platformer, lots of leveling up and environments are somewhat dynamic in the way, that you are constantly changing them while you dig. Reminds me of that Oregon Trail game, but with steam punk style robots. I got this game for free with my PS+ subscription, so it being free on top of which, gives it a great rating. My only gripe with the game, which is very small is customizing myGreat platformer, lots of leveling up and environments are somewhat dynamic in the way, that you are constantly changing them while you dig. Reminds me of that Oregon Trail game, but with steam punk style robots. I got this game for free with my PS+ subscription, so it being free on top of which, gives it a great rating. My only gripe with the game, which is very small is customizing my robot character. Otherwise I highly recommend this game. Expand
  18. Nov 12, 2014
    i found the game fun and to be on the PlayStation Plus lineup for November I would recommend it to many to download it and give it a try. many different mechanics used making it more fun.
  19. Dec 11, 2014
    We played this game when I had a trail PSN+ account. It's an excellent small game. It's simple, fun, relaxing and perfect for family. We took turns to play as long as one player go to the ground.
  20. Dec 24, 2014
    A good time killer if you don't have anything else to play. You really don't need to spend any more money after you've got it and the game is a great time killer if you are waiting for one of your games to update or something. Very time consuming once you're addicted!!!

1. Addictive and charming in equal measure, and never short of new ideas. [May 2014, p77]
  2. Apr 18, 2014
    SteamWorld Dig isn’t the most expansive and deep game, but great for blowing off some steam. The game is best played in one sitting, when you can’t let go of the urge to go deeper and discover more.
  3. Apr 15, 2014
    SteamWorld Dig lays in the middle between Spelunky and Terraria: but it has a pace of its own, that results in a quite interesting adventure.