SteamWorld Dig PlayStation 4

7.4

1. May 23, 2014
    What it is about this game, I don't know, but I find it to be fantastic. It's extremely addicting and I have to admit, from the second I started it, I didn't stop until it was finished, except for getting something to eat. It is some kind of mix between spelunky and those free to play games on gaming sites where you have to collect gold and then upgrade some in order to continue. It worksWhat it is about this game, I don't know, but I find it to be fantastic. It's extremely addicting and I have to admit, from the second I started it, I didn't stop until it was finished, except for getting something to eat. It is some kind of mix between spelunky and those free to play games on gaming sites where you have to collect gold and then upgrade some in order to continue. It works like a charm.

It is also amazing how bugless the game is. I haven't encountered a single one of them. However, it isn't all good. The game is rather short and, to be honest, way too easy. It's nowhere challenging even remotely and eventually you will just go rambo-style because even if you die, you won't lose anything worthwhile. I have to admit that I like the games that are damn near impossible, so it could be just me, but I find it to be the game biggest downside.

Strangely enough it didn't prevent me from loving it in it's entirely. I feel somewhat sad the ride is already over and the game lacks any replayability. No additional content, which is a shame.

Overall, I'd give it an 8.5
  2. Apr 2, 2014
    SteamWorld Dig is brilliantly addictive in an old-school fashion. It doesn't have the most elegant visuals but it has something more important, the FUN FACTOR! For the price I got it at (£7 odd on PSN with a PS Plus discount) it is sooooooo WORTH THE PRICE! I implore you to PURCHASE THIS GAME, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT! 9.5/10!!!
  3. Apr 6, 2014
    If you like Metroid, Motherload, or Terraria, you'll like (or absolutely love) SteamWorld: Dig. I personally loved all three of those games, and the loving combination of them all here by Image & Form was quite the enjoyable experience for me. Taking elements from each of these games, you'll mine to earn upgrades like in Motherload, find upgrades so you can unlock more progression like inIf you like Metroid, Motherload, or Terraria, you'll like (or absolutely love) SteamWorld: Dig. I personally loved all three of those games, and the loving combination of them all here by Image & Form was quite the enjoyable experience for me. Taking elements from each of these games, you'll mine to earn upgrades like in Motherload, find upgrades so you can unlock more progression like in Metroid, and have multiple tools for mining and combat like in Terarria. Not to mention the story has some interesting tones and actually leaves a bit of an impact for a short game.

So yes, it's short. But that's a good thing. It does everything it wants to, and then when it's done that, it leaves you to finish the game. There is no unnecessary fluff. I played through the game, acquiring all upgrades in a single play through the first time in 4-5 hours, and I loved every minute of my time. I even went back and played it again to do a perfect run: Beating the game in less than 2.5 hours without dying and with all upgrades. Then, after that, because I was so in love with the game, I downloaded it on my Vita (Yes, it's cross-buy!) And did it all again, just like on my PS4.

The only complaint that I have about the game is that the (good) music gets repetitive; There isn't enough variety. Otherwise, the game is flawless. The upgrade progression is great and feels good, the combat is satisfying as intended, mining is addictive, the story is interesting, and the art style looks great. Absolutely worth the price.
  4. Mar 28, 2014
    First I must admit that I am definitely a semi-graphics whore. Based on that, the deep level of numbing addiction that I fall into while playing this game is just unreal. It never fails that while playing this game I unknowingly forget to blink enough to keep my eyes lubed, and end up with a stuck eyelid. There a few and very far between games that induce that level of distraction inFirst I must admit that I am definitely a semi-graphics whore. Based on that, the deep level of numbing addiction that I fall into while playing this game is just unreal. It never fails that while playing this game I unknowingly forget to blink enough to keep my eyes lubed, and end up with a stuck eyelid. There a few and very far between games that induce that level of distraction in me. Repetition would be the only negative, except it doesn't generally get to that point. Great value for the asking price! Expand
  5. Jan 1, 2017
    Just a super fun game that will put a smile on your face. What an amazing game. Major replayability, incredible fun, just a nice gameplay feedback loop for 10 or so hours.
  6. May 27, 2014
    If this game was more like Terraria, it would be a 10 no doubt. Has the same concept as Terraria, but its laid out for you. The game basically tells you excatly what to do next and by the time the final boss comes up, your so strong, that its a joke. Would of liked to see more from this game. Still a good game tho. 4 to 10 hours of game play
  7. Nov 6, 2015
    Simple, fun Metroidvania style game -- and those are always great. The dig mechanics don't feel tacked on, and they're actually helpful. The fact that this game is procedurally generated and it still encourages you to speed-run the game, that means good design and game flow. Not a bad addition to your PS4.
  8. Jan 3, 2015
    One of my unexpected favorites from 2014. Nice charm and fun gameplay. Perfect to pick up in small doses. It's unique. It's relaxing. This is my go to game to chill out on before going to bed.
  9. Nov 10, 2014
    I totally enjoy this game. It is simple and lacks modern graphics, but is worth playing. I downloaded it just because it was free with my PS+ Membership, and I have put a few hours on it. I would recommend downloading this if you want an easy, fun game to play for 30 minutes at a time.
  10. Nov 10, 2014
    Great platformer, lots of leveling up and environments are somewhat dynamic in the way, that you are constantly changing them while you dig. Reminds me of that Oregon Trail game, but with steam punk style robots. I got this game for free with my PS+ subscription, so it being free on top of which, gives it a great rating. My only gripe with the game, which is very small is customizing myGreat platformer, lots of leveling up and environments are somewhat dynamic in the way, that you are constantly changing them while you dig. Reminds me of that Oregon Trail game, but with steam punk style robots. I got this game for free with my PS+ subscription, so it being free on top of which, gives it a great rating. My only gripe with the game, which is very small is customizing my robot character. Otherwise I highly recommend this game. Expand
  11. Nov 12, 2014
    i found the game fun and to be on the PlayStation Plus lineup for November I would recommend it to many to download it and give it a try. many different mechanics used making it more fun.
  12. Dec 11, 2014
    We played this game when I had a trail PSN+ account. It's an excellent small game. It's simple, fun, relaxing and perfect for family. We took turns to play as long as one player go to the ground.
  13. Mar 14, 2016
    Great game, but too short. Would have been greatly improved if they'd included more than just the one boss fight. Characters and style of the game set it up to be truly fantastic, but it ultimately suffers from a lack of content. Still greatly enjoyed my time playing SteamWorld Dig.
  14. Jun 23, 2015
    Making it simple to understand it's a megaman game with other story and some new mechanics, use the right weapon in the right place or enemy and everything works just like megaman :)
  15. Dec 9, 2015
    A lot of fun! Good mechanics and is in the same vein as the Spelunky-type games. I had fun playing this game very casually. The RPG mechanics and equipment upgrades are very basic, and the mining for goodies, selling them, and mining again gameplay can get repetitive. I found myself only able to play this game for about an hour or so at a time, but that didn't stop me from playing it inA lot of fun! Good mechanics and is in the same vein as the Spelunky-type games. I had fun playing this game very casually. The RPG mechanics and equipment upgrades are very basic, and the mining for goodies, selling them, and mining again gameplay can get repetitive. I found myself only able to play this game for about an hour or so at a time, but that didn't stop me from playing it in several different play-throughs. It surprised me how addictive the gameplay was, but the difficulty progresses extremely slowly and never really gets "hard". Casual as can be for sure. Still hours of fun!

7.5/10
  16. Apr 12, 2017
    Incredibly fun and addictive gameplay. It's almost like the lovechild of Dig Dug and Metroid. It's not completely unforgiving, but you should spend your earnings wisely because there are a couple of different ways that you can get yourself stuck. I had a blast playing this and I look forward to giving Steamworld Heist a try.

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 27, 2014
    Addictive and charming in equal measure, and never short of new ideas. [May 2014, p77]
  2. Apr 18, 2014
    SteamWorld Dig isn’t the most expansive and deep game, but great for blowing off some steam. The game is best played in one sitting, when you can’t let go of the urge to go deeper and discover more.
  3. Apr 15, 2014
    SteamWorld Dig lays in the middle between Spelunky and Terraria: but it has a pace of its own, that results in a quite interesting adventure.