7.2

1. Feb 20, 2014
    If you played and loved Strider in the past, don't even think - buy this game.
    If you enjoy Metroid-likes this is definitely in the upper echelons of the genre with rapid combat and exploration elements and a satisfying equipment progression system. I dare you to not feel like a bad ass once you start being able to reflect lasers back at the bad guys.
    A few things to note: the game is
    too easy on 'Medium' difficulty if you're a regular to this kind of game and I would recommend you start on Hard; occasionally the camera will freak out if you fall a very long way and fail to keep up with the player character (a minor issue); as some others have said you sometimes can't quite see what's a platform and what's background, but a quick glance at the mini-map is always enough to confirm what you can and can't stand on and finally, there are some sections with broadcasts that cause a large orange dialogue box to take up the bottom part of the screen every 15 seconds or so, which can be a little annoying when you're trying to do pixel perfect jumps.
    Lots of collectibles, plenty of exploration, challenges (combat and traversal) to unlock and a good mix of duel-style boss battles and giant arcade style fights. And while it might not be the best looking game on PS4 it has fantastic art direction and a rock solid frame rate, even when the screen gets busy.
    If this sounds like your cup of tea, don't hesitate!
  2. Jul 14, 2014
    A solid Japanese platformer, Strider benefits from good level design and fluid gameplay. What little story there is in the game comes straight from a Manga comic, and borders the ridiculous. Running around the massive map looking for upgrades, etc., gets tedious after a while, but otherwise it's engaging.
  3. Feb 24, 2014
    Definitely worth the money in terms of graphics, gameplay and controls. You have to stay on your toes when it comes to combat, and the variety of enemies is pretty high. You won't be bored and you won't regret having spent the (very affordable amount of) money on it.
  4. Feb 20, 2014
    I also played the first Strider games and I love that Strider is in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 too.
    Im glad Strider has got a new game out for the series, its a side scroller if you didn't know already, many collectables to find, Boss challenges to overcome and work on for higher difficulties.
    A fun game, feels fresh, graphics are good for the cartoon style it has.
    Also it was replay
    ability but I won't say why.

Really enjoying it.
    I recommend buying this, Capcom have no reason to be hated on this game and I purchased as soon as I seen it on the PS store.
  5. Feb 21, 2014
    Well first off I have to say $15 well spent. This new Strider is a classic throwback to original while still keeping it fresh and new. Visually the game is stunning and colors just pop. When you first get the eagle you will know what I mean. The combat is generally fast pace and quick which is a very good thing for me because it keeps you on your toes. The enemy variety is there as well I had faced 6 different types of enemies in the first hour and a half of the game. The pacing I believe is excellent in the game well. Boss Battles seemed placed perfectly which is rare thing now. The game does kinda hand hold but only if you let it. You are free to explore the entire area you are in at almost any given time which again is a rare thing. The one and only problem I have with this game is right now it seems a bit easy but I am Normal so I think if I crank it up to hard that will immediately disappear but it so minute anyway that it doesn't even stop the epic amount of fun you have slicing up enemies left and right. This game is a great addition to the Franchise and Capcom finally did something right. I literally had to force myself to quit so I wouldn't play through most of the game in one sitting. Definitely purchase this title. Expand
  6. Feb 25, 2014
    Fun at first but before long it devolves into a repetitive, shallow, and often frustrating mess of an experience. I have no nostalgia for the series and was looking for something along the lines of Shadow Complex, but unfortunately Strider never comes close to that much better game.
  7. Feb 21, 2014
    I'm not au fait with the original Strider - it's likely I played it during my Spectrum days, but if I did, it obviously didn't leave a lasting impression. So I'll base this review on a first timer......

It's relatively cheap and it looks like it. Boring colour palette and bland visuals which wouldn't push the PS3, let alone the PS4. It's difficult, which I don't mind, but almost just
    for the sake of it. The original is renowned for it's harsh difficulty, so maybe it's simply a case of doing it again, but sometimes the difficulty just seems unnecessary. Possibly a ploy to lengthen the game?

I'm not bothered either way, because I couldn't be bothered to complete such a boring looking, repetitive, button mashing arcade game. I'd much rather play a remake of Target Renegade or Double Dragon.

Considering the masterpiece, i.e.Trine 2 (one of best games currently available on PS4, especially in 3D), is similar money, then Strider is way overpriced. Unless you're a hardcore Strider fan wanting to play for the sake of nostalgia.

Average at best.
  8. Jul 4, 2014
    Strider is a terrible game. This sort of poor platform shooter should have died with the megadrive. Frustrating, dull, bad graphics, horrible sound, disgraceful controls, laughable level design, all add up to make this an utterly unenjoyable experience. No wonder it was free on PSN but even that wont save this game, hopefully this will be the last we see of this mind-numbing game on any console again and the only time it will be used is as an example to younger generations on how not to make games. I gave it one point because it managed to load the game. Expand
  9. Sep 4, 2014
    I would lie if I said that I didn't like the game. I rate it 5 because of the annoying save points. Save points are few specially for those who love to explore. I finished one of the bosses and thought that it will do an autosave. I had to close my PS4 and leave. When I returned I found that I had to restart from a very early stage before the boss fight!!!
    Extremely annoying. And no
    indication it's saving. Expand
  10. Aug 5, 2014
    This game is a classic Metroidvania that hits all the right spots. The decision to not make it linear was a correct one, as this would have been a not so great game.

The powers are great, the world traversal gets better and the updates are a win. The controls are also rock solid.

It does have a not-so-good level design and also I HATE the art design. I get that this is cyber ninja
    stuff, I just wish I wasn't.

This game has a slow start, does not take you by the hand and is quite hardcore. The exploration could be better but the plasma powers on top of the "option" powers create nice layers for the combat and a nice feeling of the unlocking of areas. Great boss fights

The technical aspect is good, but the story is sh!t and bare-bones. Mediocre voice acting at best.

All in all, I consider this above average and as a PS Plus game, we are happy to have it. I also love Metroidvania games.

ps. After the first hour or so, I thought this was "5". Thankfully it gets quite better.
  11. Apr 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

There aren't truly that many complaints about the trappings of this game, which can mostly be attributed to the well-handled controls and aesthetics. Thankfully, those complaints that do surface stem mainly from some extra, non-control and non-graphical or technical areas of the game- such as story, warps, etcetera. Now for the final verdict:

Concept: Bring back Capcom's lesser-known ninja hero, who has been trapped in limbo for far too long and needs to get a good dose of both nostalgia and the lime-light for his return. Also, for pure enjoyment and exploration of the new capabilities of consoles.

Graphics: Between the animation work and the impressive level of environmental and character detail, the game handles perfectly, runs pretty smoothly, and certainly looks impressive for a two dimensional title.

Sound: As with most of Capcom's titles, the voice work is way over the top and crazy at best, and the soundtracks include some catchy synth beat tracks and futuristic melodies to enjoy as you make the customary romp around the world defeating as many enemies as you possibly can.

Playability: Never will a new ability go to waste in this game- you'll be utilizing each and every one of them without remorse by the end. The timing of learning and upgrading is perfectly spaced out so as not to be too quickly implemented or too slowly either. The controls handle perfectly and are incredibly responsive, leading to further enjoyment in the animation, gameplay, and upgrade departments.

Entertainment: Not only a solid reboot, but a solid new game in general. There isn't really that much to complain about outside of a few minor grievances I've found within the game, and that most others have already harped on.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 8.25
  12. Feb 21, 2014
    I think the Metroidvania approach to video games allows developers to take a simple concept and inject it with depth and fun factor that it wouldn't have without that format. Strider at it's core is an arcade-style hack and slash with razor-sharp controls. Take that concept and add a huge world map with tons of secrets and you already have a great game. Throw on a coat of ninja paint and this is the modern-day Strider. I recommend playing this game on hard because Normal can be crushed in an afternoon. Hard will triple the play time without adding unnecessary frustration. I gave it a 9 because the story is pretty generic but other than that it's a must-buy. Especially for just 15 bucks. I recommend getting it for the PS4. I didn't play it on the PS3 but I imagine it runs better on the 4. Expand
  13. Jul 30, 2014
    Strider is a stock standard side scrolling hack and slash game, with similarity's to Metroid style games where you need to get upgrades to access new areas. Being unoriginal also means that the game play is well refined and polished from years of older games to learn from. As you progress the game gets more enjoyable as it becomes more of a challenge and you learn new tricks. Unfortunately the setting and back ground dose not improve ,the game starts out very grey and bland and remains that way through the whole adventure. Better looking and varied levels is almost a necessity for a game so unoriginal. Overall fun for an old school game play fix. Expand
  14. Jul 6, 2014
    I only got it since it's now "free" on PS Plus. It's not normally my kind of game but I've found it a lot of fun. It took me around 8 hours to beat it also. I found it a good challenge on Hard mode. I enjoyed the combat and the gameplay mechanics. I liked the boss fights and finding things that give you more health and powers was a cool addition. The level design was OK it was just a bit samey and the respawing enemies if you revisited an area just after leaving it was not great but I never put my controller down.

I really enjoyed this game and more so when you get it for free. So I'll say it's a good game to pass a few hours and you will enjoy doing so. I'd give it an 8/10.
  15. Mar 8, 2014
    for the $15 you spend to get this game, you get a great amount of content. the game play is fast, and fun, and the upgrades and abilities you find throughout the game keeps it fresh. the boss fights as well are really well done too. there's a sense of exploration as you travel through the levels. if that's not your thing there's an arrow that clearly points you where you need to go. graphically it's gorgeous, with no lag that I've noticed. it's an arcade-y game so there isn't too much depth to the story, and i really wish that there was. however, despite that, it's still a really good game. Expand
  16. Feb 27, 2014
    Pretty freaking awful, was excited for this but after the stressful bosses, the broken jump button (I'll press it and it wont jump on mine... idk if it's a bug or what) and other issues I say this is the WORST INDIE GAME EVER.
  17. Jul 7, 2014
    After a jaded history of attempted reboots and missing sequels, Strider finally returns once again on next gen consoles. With such gaps between entries, it’s very important to get a reboot done right so that it can be accepted by audiences and have a lasting effect. Strider takes a page from the Metroid formula and uses it well. The combined elements of both Metroid and Strider create an excellent and fun entry into the modern era.

As any reboot, the game’s plot pays homage to the original. You play as Strider Hiryu and are tasked to eliminating the “Grandmaster,” a mysterious dictator in control over the dystopian city of Kazakh. The plot pretty much ends here. Aside from your main mission, there is little to no plot involved. There are no twists and turns along the way that make for a meaningful story. From start until end, your mission is to eliminate your target and his cohorts to save Kazakh City from his rule.

The game is played across multiple areas along a 2D plane, Metroid style. Areas are high in detail and beautifully rendered all with nice glows and effects. Areas such as a robotic lab to an underground city infected with zombies are some of the few players will visit. Hidden passages and rewards are littered across the locations for the exploring type, and the color coded doors encourage players to return later for the more rewarding prizes.

Gameplay is divided into two elements: combat and platforming. The majority of the game will be spent hack and slashing through foot soliders with the Cypher, Hiryu’s plasma sword. The Cypher gains new abilities along your journey that help in creating the ultimate cyber ninja. These abilities are introduced smoothly, adding multiple new elements into combat. These abilities are chosen through the d-pad and are indicated by Hiryu’s scarf; orange for explosive attacks, blue for ice powers, etc. The various enemies are all strong and vulnerable to different attack styles so players should stay on their toes. Learning the game and its combat lead to a more rewarding experience.

Platforming adds another layer to the formula. Players are often tasked at scaling buildings and flipping through buzz saws and lasers alike. Since Hiryu can climb on walls and ceilings, it adds new opportunities to platforming as well as escapes and parkour sequences. These opportunities are a squandered, however, as there are few sequences that encourage the use of quick timing and careful jumps as found in recent platforming style games.

Along the adventure, Hiryu will take on favorites from the series. From the Wind Sisters to the bounty hunter Solo, each battle offers a diversion away from the typical combat of the core gameplay. Normally, players would hack and slash their way to victory against smaller foes. This approach is welcome but will lead to failure pretty quickly. Each boss encourages strategy and thought before attacking so players should tread lightly. Each battle is an entertaining diversion and even reward players with new powers; but be warned some bosses return as standard foes along the way.

As much as I enjoyed every moment with Strider, it isn’t without its issues. One of my major issues were that areas within the game feel repetitive. This proved an issue when I would do a bit of backtracking and feel lost after my strider ran across three rooms that all looked exactly the same. This repetition isn’t only in the environments, many of the enemies share the same features as well. Another issue I had was the lack of teleportation system. Missing a couple of collectibles on the other side of the world? Well you’re going to have to trudge all the way across the game world using a confusing map that doesn’t show which exit leads to where. This can be pretty annoying especially since each area is large and navigation can get complex.

In the end, these complaints are relatively minor and doesn’t hinder the experience as a whole. The game is fun and I wouldn’t mind seeing another one along the line. Strider is a fantastic reboot to a forgotten series as well as a fresh entry for newcomers to the franchise.
  18. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. not bad give a 6 even a 7 it is a game like you click square a milion and milion and milons of times but it is not a bad game you can go and buy it Expand
  19. Apr 6, 2014
    Strider provides you with a great core gameplay experience, and as soon as it's explored everything the developers cared to, it stopped, and finished the game, which is great. There's no fluff, it's a great experience throughout. The game controls perfectly, it's not floaty, and you always feel powerful. You get different types of ciphers to spice things up, and are rewarded for exploration and perseverance with a multitude of upgrades, concept art, and costume recolors. Sure, the story isn't huge, but it's a gameplay experience. It's there for nostalgia, and for fun. I didn't want to have to care about the story, I wanted to play as Strider Hiryu and cut stuff, and that's where the game excels. The price point is also perfect for the experience. After playing the game for the first time, I went back and played it again to speed run it because it was so fun, where usually I'd take a break from the game. There isn't a great variety of music, though, now that I think of it. 8/10. Expand
  20. Apr 17, 2014
    Strider is an awesome throwback to the original. All the upgrades felt so worthwhile and kept me feeling like a badass with every new one. It may have taken me longer than average to beat this game but thats because I kept on backtracking to find the hidden collectibles.
  21. Jun 13, 2014
    Excellent game. It keeps the original gameplay of an old arcade, but keeps you hooked with the large / explorable levels and all the upgrades you aquire during the story.

I loved the minimalistic comic / manga style graphics and the characters animations. It's really fun to play with a ninja with so many powers and skills. As you progress in the story mode you unlock more and more cool
    powers.

I was a bit dissapointed however with the special moves, I expected them to be more interesting / spectacular.

The constant confrontation with bosses IMO can get a bit too stressing at some points, but it's part of the game style. It

There are some flaws in the design, like for instance being killed by a boss and having to repeat a small piece of the story time after time when I got killed, that was extremely annoying.

But overall I really enjoyed this not so simple arcade style ninja game, it was well worth the money it cost.
  22. Aug 27, 2014
    Strider is a game that has some interesting gameplay to it. your a ninja that goes around killing government employees and guards. this platform jumper has very smooth controls yet lacks a little customization. i got it for free but it's market price is 15$ when it should be more like 10$. no bad just repetitive and fairly linear. a decent story but the fights consist of you waiting for your opponent to attack so you can dodge and hit him once or twice so you can do the same thing again, eventually killing him. pretty balanced, worth watching gameplay to get a feel of what it's like. Expand
  23. Aug 3, 2014
    A fun 2D metroidvania game. - Excellent combat & traversal system and controls - Good "level & enemy" design and variety - Good map for hunting down power ups - Excellent design on having minimum amount of loading times and waiting to respawn - And a good length for speed runners and completionists for not getting bored with the game Just an excellent game overall. Thanks Double Helix and Capcom. Expand
  24. Aug 9, 2014
    Game is fun at first. In my first first hour, I can easily say that I got the joy of mindless button smashing. But after some time it became boring time by time.
    First of all robots or creatures that you slay are way too many but unbelievably mindless. I did not even killed by a minion in my whole play. It seems that these creatures are in the game just satisfy our button smashing
    demand.
    By the way, there are not much variety in these minions too. Soldiers,Shielded soldiers, Golden shielded soldiers etc.... Actually there are not much more than 5-6 type of minions that you slay in the game which makes this game extremely repetitive.
    Art-work and graphics are mediocre. Musics are worse. I played the whole game in mute mode. Story...... Well simply non existent.
    The best things about the game are BOSS fights and unlike minions, BOSS designs are creative and fights have some kind of challenge. The only reason of my score is for BOSS fights.
    After 2-3 hours of game-play, I found myself just jump over and run away from all kind of minions and try to run the next Boss fight that I will encounter.
    I played this game free of charge. If you will pay for this game, I think there are much better alternatives in PS4 at the moment.
  25. Sep 8, 2014
    Strider is truly fantastic. I think value should count a bit more for these rating, since the game was so cheap on release. Also, it became free for PS4 plus users recently.

I find that many of these remakes seem to lose the feel of the original- but not this one. The devs obviously took some time to give the speed and fighting style of the NES classic that I loved as a kid.

This
    game is not splitting the atom...but that's okay- it's great fun, and sometimes that's what you want, just some great gameplay. Of all the remakes that they've done like this, for some reason this stands out to me. Maybe it's because they didn't over think it...they just gave me an awesome Strider game. Expand

1. Aug 25, 2014
    A quality remake that is well worth the price tag.
  2. Apr 29, 2014
    Strider is a great example of how you can reboot an old arcade game with modern sensibilities and still keep it true to its roots.
  3. An update worthy of the source material. Old-school platforming worth jumping into [April 2014, p81]