7.1

1. Feb 20, 2014
    If you played and loved Strider in the past, don't even think - buy this game.
    If you enjoy Metroid-likes this is definitely in the upper echelons of the genre with rapid combat and exploration elements and a satisfying equipment progression system. I dare you to not feel like a bad ass once you start being able to reflect lasers back at the bad guys.
    A few things to note: the game is
    too easy on 'Medium' difficulty if you're a regular to this kind of game and I would recommend you start on Hard; occasionally the camera will freak out if you fall a very long way and fail to keep up with the player character (a minor issue); as some others have said you sometimes can't quite see what's a platform and what's background, but a quick glance at the mini-map is always enough to confirm what you can and can't stand on and finally, there are some sections with broadcasts that cause a large orange dialogue box to take up the bottom part of the screen every 15 seconds or so, which can be a little annoying when you're trying to do pixel perfect jumps.
    Lots of collectibles, plenty of exploration, challenges (combat and traversal) to unlock and a good mix of duel-style boss battles and giant arcade style fights. And while it might not be the best looking game on PS4 it has fantastic art direction and a rock solid frame rate, even when the screen gets busy.
    If this sounds like your cup of tea, don't hesitate!
  2. Feb 20, 2014
    I also played the first Strider games and I love that Strider is in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 too.
    Im glad Strider has got a new game out for the series, its a side scroller if you didn't know already, many collectables to find, Boss challenges to overcome and work on for higher difficulties.
    A fun game, feels fresh, graphics are good for the cartoon style it has.
    Also it was replay
    ability but I won't say why.

Really enjoying it.
    I recommend buying this, Capcom have no reason to be hated on this game and I purchased as soon as I seen it on the PS store.
  3. Feb 21, 2014
    I'm not au fait with the original Strider - it's likely I played it during my Spectrum days, but if I did, it obviously didn't leave a lasting impression. So I'll base this review on a first timer......

It's relatively cheap and it looks like it. Boring colour palette and bland visuals which wouldn't push the PS3, let alone the PS4. It's difficult, which I don't mind, but almost just
    for the sake of it. The original is renowned for it's harsh difficulty, so maybe it's simply a case of doing it again, but sometimes the difficulty just seems unnecessary. Possibly a ploy to lengthen the game?

I'm not bothered either way, because I couldn't be bothered to complete such a boring looking, repetitive, button mashing arcade game. I'd much rather play a remake of Target Renegade or Double Dragon.

Considering the masterpiece, i.e.Trine 2 (one of best games currently available on PS4, especially in 3D), is similar money, then Strider is way overpriced. Unless you're a hardcore Strider fan wanting to play for the sake of nostalgia.

Average at best.
  4. Feb 21, 2014
    Well first off I have to say $15 well spent. This new Strider is a classic throwback to original while still keeping it fresh and new. Visually the game is stunning and colors just pop. When you first get the eagle you will know what I mean. The combat is generally fast pace and quick which is a very good thing for me because it keeps you on your toes. The enemy variety is there as well I had faced 6 different types of enemies in the first hour and a half of the game. The pacing I believe is excellent in the game well. Boss Battles seemed placed perfectly which is rare thing now. The game does kinda hand hold but only if you let it. You are free to explore the entire area you are in at almost any given time which again is a rare thing. The one and only problem I have with this game is right now it seems a bit easy but I am Normal so I think if I crank it up to hard that will immediately disappear but it so minute anyway that it doesn't even stop the epic amount of fun you have slicing up enemies left and right. This game is a great addition to the Franchise and Capcom finally did something right. I literally had to force myself to quit so I wouldn't play through most of the game in one sitting. Definitely purchase this title. Expand
  5. Feb 24, 2014
    Definitely worth the money in terms of graphics, gameplay and controls. You have to stay on your toes when it comes to combat, and the variety of enemies is pretty high. You won't be bored and you won't regret having spent the (very affordable amount of) money on it.
  6. Feb 25, 2014
    Fun at first but before long it devolves into a repetitive, shallow, and often frustrating mess of an experience. I have no nostalgia for the series and was looking for something along the lines of Shadow Complex, but unfortunately Strider never comes close to that much better game.
  7. Apr 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

There aren't truly that many complaints about the trappings of this game, which can mostly be attributed to the well-handled controls and aesthetics. Thankfully, those complaints that do surface stem mainly from some extra, non-control and non-graphical or technical areas of the game- such as story, warps, etcetera. Now for the final verdict:

Concept: Bring back Capcom's lesser-known ninja hero, who has been trapped in limbo for far too long and needs to get a good dose of both nostalgia and the lime-light for his return. Also, for pure enjoyment and exploration of the new capabilities of consoles.

Graphics: Between the animation work and the impressive level of environmental and character detail, the game handles perfectly, runs pretty smoothly, and certainly looks impressive for a two dimensional title.

Sound: As with most of Capcom's titles, the voice work is way over the top and crazy at best, and the soundtracks include some catchy synth beat tracks and futuristic melodies to enjoy as you make the customary romp around the world defeating as many enemies as you possibly can.

Playability: Never will a new ability go to waste in this game- you'll be utilizing each and every one of them without remorse by the end. The timing of learning and upgrading is perfectly spaced out so as not to be too quickly implemented or too slowly either. The controls handle perfectly and are incredibly responsive, leading to further enjoyment in the animation, gameplay, and upgrade departments.

Entertainment: Not only a solid reboot, but a solid new game in general. There isn't really that much to complain about outside of a few minor grievances I've found within the game, and that most others have already harped on.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 8.25
  8. Feb 21, 2014
    I think the Metroidvania approach to video games allows developers to take a simple concept and inject it with depth and fun factor that it wouldn't have without that format. Strider at it's core is an arcade-style hack and slash with razor-sharp controls. Take that concept and add a huge world map with tons of secrets and you already have a great game. Throw on a coat of ninja paint and this is the modern-day Strider. I recommend playing this game on hard because Normal can be crushed in an afternoon. Hard will triple the play time without adding unnecessary frustration. I gave it a 9 because the story is pretty generic but other than that it's a must-buy. Especially for just 15 bucks. I recommend getting it for the PS4. I didn't play it on the PS3 but I imagine it runs better on the 4. Expand
  9. Mar 8, 2014
    for the $15 you spend to get this game, you get a great amount of content. the game play is fast, and fun, and the upgrades and abilities you find throughout the game keeps it fresh. the boss fights as well are really well done too. there's a sense of exploration as you travel through the levels. if that's not your thing there's an arrow that clearly points you where you need to go. graphically it's gorgeous, with no lag that I've noticed. it's an arcade-y game so there isn't too much depth to the story, and i really wish that there was. however, despite that, it's still a really good game. Expand
  10. Feb 27, 2014
    Pretty freaking awful, was excited for this but after the stressful bosses, the broken jump button (I'll press it and it wont jump on mine... idk if it's a bug or what) and other issues I say this is the WORST INDIE GAME EVER.
  11. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. not bad give a 6 even a 7 it is a game like you click square a milion and milion and milons of times but it is not a bad game you can go and buy it Expand
  12. Apr 6, 2014
    Strider provides you with a great core gameplay experience, and as soon as it's explored everything the developers cared to, it stopped, and finished the game, which is great. There's no fluff, it's a great experience throughout. The game controls perfectly, it's not floaty, and you always feel powerful. You get different types of ciphers to spice things up, and are rewarded for exploration and perseverance with a multitude of upgrades, concept art, and costume recolors. Sure, the story isn't huge, but it's a gameplay experience. It's there for nostalgia, and for fun. I didn't want to have to care about the story, I wanted to play as Strider Hiryu and cut stuff, and that's where the game excels. The price point is also perfect for the experience. After playing the game for the first time, I went back and played it again to speed run it because it was so fun, where usually I'd take a break from the game. There isn't a great variety of music, though, now that I think of it. 8/10. Expand
  13. Apr 17, 2014
    Strider is an awesome throwback to the original. All the upgrades felt so worthwhile and kept me feeling like a badass with every new one. It may have taken me longer than average to beat this game but thats because I kept on backtracking to find the hidden collectibles.

1. An update worthy of the source material. Old-school platforming worth jumping into [April 2014, p81]
  2. Mar 13, 2014
    Double Helix has managed to capture what made the original game so much fun, while fleshing out the story in some very wacky ways. Unfortunately, too much of the game is spent indoors and there's a little too much backtracking, but Strider is a great start to what will hopefully be an ongoing series.
  3. Mar 10, 2014
    The Metroid-style design could be a great fit for Strider, but this first outing comes up a little lacking.