7.0

1. Oct 8, 2014
    Strider is a Metroid-vania hack and slash game in which you play a sword-wielding ninja, set in a pseudo-communist future dystopia, made by Capcom, who have being trying to get gamers to like them ever since the piddling amount of money they had left was revealed and damn it if they don't succeed at making you like them again, for a start the game is quite long, the levels are somewhatStrider is a Metroid-vania hack and slash game in which you play a sword-wielding ninja, set in a pseudo-communist future dystopia, made by Capcom, who have being trying to get gamers to like them ever since the piddling amount of money they had left was revealed and damn it if they don't succeed at making you like them again, for a start the game is quite long, the levels are somewhat expansive, non-linear and reward exploration, also the combat is absolutely fantastic and without a doubt the best part of the game, with Hiryu (or the Strider) slashing his sword in time with your button mashing. Strider is also blessed with really good boss-fights, the type which will kill you easily if you don't learn each and every one of their attacks, then you'll get mashed into the ground, which not only serves as satisfyingly difficulty but also feels rewarding as hell when you finally beat the bastard, not to mention that every time you take down a boss, you gain a new ability, giving you a combat edge necessary to handle the difficulty curve and unlock new areas you previously couldn't open, which does mean you may have to trek along the same levels however the stellar beautiful design of the backgrounds and scenery certainly makes up for this, also being able to cream several soldiers who previously gave you trouble more than helps in that regard as well.
    One complaint I have seen is that Strider doesn't have a story, which to me seems quite silly as adding in a story would merely slow it down and the whole point of Strider is that it's pulse pounding action and to be honest force feeding in sections Metal Gear style where after a boss Hiryu had a ten minute monologue on the failures of communism, would be pretty **** stupid.
    Though there is one complaint I have with the game, which drags it down to a nine instead of a ten, well two actually there was an issue where my frames per second dropped for no reason for about ten minutes, that would be some of the **** soldiers on the last level, now I know that the last level is supposed to be hard but there is a difference between hard and badly designed and I know that decreasing the score on that alone is pretty harsh but it did kind of leave me with a bitter taste, especially so since I have a suspicion they did so deliberately.
    Though all in all the game is very very good arcadey fun that I absolutely recommend to everyone, especially so considering how cheap the thing is, please do yourself a favour and pick it up.
  2. Feb 21, 2014
    I think the Metroidvania approach to video games allows developers to take a simple concept and inject it with depth and fun factor that it wouldn't have without that format. Strider at it's core is an arcade-style hack and slash with razor-sharp controls. Take that concept and add a huge world map with tons of secrets and you already have a great game. Throw on a coat of ninja paint andI think the Metroidvania approach to video games allows developers to take a simple concept and inject it with depth and fun factor that it wouldn't have without that format. Strider at it's core is an arcade-style hack and slash with razor-sharp controls. Take that concept and add a huge world map with tons of secrets and you already have a great game. Throw on a coat of ninja paint and this is the modern-day Strider. I recommend playing this game on hard because Normal can be crushed in an afternoon. Hard will triple the play time without adding unnecessary frustration. I gave it a 9 because the story is pretty generic but other than that it's a must-buy. Especially for just 15 bucks. I recommend getting it for the PS4. I didn't play it on the PS3 but I imagine it runs better on the 4. Expand
  3. Jul 7, 2014
    After a jaded history of attempted reboots and missing sequels, Strider finally returns once again on next gen consoles. With such gaps between entries, it’s very important to get a reboot done right so that it can be accepted by audiences and have a lasting effect. Strider takes a page from the Metroid formula and uses it well. The combined elements of both Metroid and Strider create anAfter a jaded history of attempted reboots and missing sequels, Strider finally returns once again on next gen consoles. With such gaps between entries, it’s very important to get a reboot done right so that it can be accepted by audiences and have a lasting effect. Strider takes a page from the Metroid formula and uses it well. The combined elements of both Metroid and Strider create an excellent and fun entry into the modern era.

As any reboot, the game’s plot pays homage to the original. You play as Strider Hiryu and are tasked to eliminating the “Grandmaster,” a mysterious dictator in control over the dystopian city of Kazakh. The plot pretty much ends here. Aside from your main mission, there is little to no plot involved. There are no twists and turns along the way that make for a meaningful story. From start until end, your mission is to eliminate your target and his cohorts to save Kazakh City from his rule.

The game is played across multiple areas along a 2D plane, Metroid style. Areas are high in detail and beautifully rendered all with nice glows and effects. Areas such as a robotic lab to an underground city infected with zombies are some of the few players will visit. Hidden passages and rewards are littered across the locations for the exploring type, and the color coded doors encourage players to return later for the more rewarding prizes.

Gameplay is divided into two elements: combat and platforming. The majority of the game will be spent hack and slashing through foot soliders with the Cypher, Hiryu’s plasma sword. The Cypher gains new abilities along your journey that help in creating the ultimate cyber ninja. These abilities are introduced smoothly, adding multiple new elements into combat. These abilities are chosen through the d-pad and are indicated by Hiryu’s scarf; orange for explosive attacks, blue for ice powers, etc. The various enemies are all strong and vulnerable to different attack styles so players should stay on their toes. Learning the game and its combat lead to a more rewarding experience.

Platforming adds another layer to the formula. Players are often tasked at scaling buildings and flipping through buzz saws and lasers alike. Since Hiryu can climb on walls and ceilings, it adds new opportunities to platforming as well as escapes and parkour sequences. These opportunities are a squandered, however, as there are few sequences that encourage the use of quick timing and careful jumps as found in recent platforming style games.

Along the adventure, Hiryu will take on favorites from the series. From the Wind Sisters to the bounty hunter Solo, each battle offers a diversion away from the typical combat of the core gameplay. Normally, players would hack and slash their way to victory against smaller foes. This approach is welcome but will lead to failure pretty quickly. Each boss encourages strategy and thought before attacking so players should tread lightly. Each battle is an entertaining diversion and even reward players with new powers; but be warned some bosses return as standard foes along the way.

As much as I enjoyed every moment with Strider, it isn’t without its issues. One of my major issues were that areas within the game feel repetitive. This proved an issue when I would do a bit of backtracking and feel lost after my strider ran across three rooms that all looked exactly the same. This repetition isn’t only in the environments, many of the enemies share the same features as well. Another issue I had was the lack of teleportation system. Missing a couple of collectibles on the other side of the world? Well you’re going to have to trudge all the way across the game world using a confusing map that doesn’t show which exit leads to where. This can be pretty annoying especially since each area is large and navigation can get complex.

In the end, these complaints are relatively minor and doesn’t hinder the experience as a whole. The game is fun and I wouldn’t mind seeing another one along the line. Strider is a fantastic reboot to a forgotten series as well as a fresh entry for newcomers to the franchise.
  4. Aug 3, 2014
    A fun 2D metroidvania game.
    - Excellent combat & traversal system and controls
    - Good "level & enemy" design and variety - Good map for hunting down power ups - Excellent design on having minimum amount of loading times and waiting to respawn - And a good length for speed runners and completionists for not getting bored with the game Just an excellent game overall. Thanks Double
    A fun 2D metroidvania game.
    - Excellent combat & traversal system and controls
    - Good "level & enemy" design and variety
    - Good map for hunting down power ups

Just an excellent game overall. Thanks Double Helix and Capcom.
  5. Feb 21, 2014
    Well first off I have to say $15 well spent. This new Strider is a classic throwback to original while still keeping it fresh and new. Visually the game is stunning and colors just pop. When you first get the eagle you will know what I mean. The combat is generally fast pace and quick which is a very good thing for me because it keeps you on your toes. The enemy variety is there as well IWell first off I have to say $15 well spent. This new Strider is a classic throwback to original while still keeping it fresh and new. Visually the game is stunning and colors just pop. When you first get the eagle you will know what I mean. The combat is generally fast pace and quick which is a very good thing for me because it keeps you on your toes. The enemy variety is there as well I had faced 6 different types of enemies in the first hour and a half of the game. The pacing I believe is excellent in the game well. Boss Battles seemed placed perfectly which is rare thing now. The game does kinda hand hold but only if you let it. You are free to explore the entire area you are in at almost any given time which again is a rare thing. The one and only problem I have with this game is right now it seems a bit easy but I am Normal so I think if I crank it up to hard that will immediately disappear but it so minute anyway that it doesn't even stop the epic amount of fun you have slicing up enemies left and right. This game is a great addition to the Franchise and Capcom finally did something right. I literally had to force myself to quit so I wouldn't play through most of the game in one sitting. Definitely purchase this title. Expand
  6. Feb 24, 2014
    Definitely worth the money in terms of graphics, gameplay and controls. You have to stay on your toes when it comes to combat, and the variety of enemies is pretty high. You won't be bored and you won't regret having spent the (very affordable amount of) money on it.
  7. Mar 8, 2014
    for the $15 you spend to get this game, you get a great amount of content. the game play is fast, and fun, and the upgrades and abilities you find throughout the game keeps it fresh. the boss fights as well are really well done too. there's a sense of exploration as you travel through the levels. if that's not your thing there's an arrow that clearly points you where you need to go.for the $15 you spend to get this game, you get a great amount of content. the game play is fast, and fun, and the upgrades and abilities you find throughout the game keeps it fresh. the boss fights as well are really well done too. there's a sense of exploration as you travel through the levels. if that's not your thing there's an arrow that clearly points you where you need to go. graphically it's gorgeous, with no lag that I've noticed. it's an arcade-y game so there isn't too much depth to the story, and i really wish that there was. however, despite that, it's still a really good game. Expand
  8. Sep 8, 2014
    Strider is truly fantastic. I think value should count a bit more for these rating, since the game was so cheap on release. Also, it became free for PS4 plus users recently.

I find that many of these remakes seem to lose the feel of the original- but not this one. The devs obviously took some time to give the speed and fighting style of the NES classic that I loved as a kid. This

This game is not splitting the atom...but that's okay- it's great fun, and sometimes that's what you want, just some great gameplay. Of all the remakes that they've done like this, for some reason this stands out to me. Maybe it's because they didn't over think it...they just gave me an awesome Strider game.

1. Aug 25, 2014
    A quality remake that is well worth the price tag.
  2. Apr 29, 2014
    Strider is a great example of how you can reboot an old arcade game with modern sensibilities and still keep it true to its roots.
  3. An update worthy of the source material. Old-school platforming worth jumping into [April 2014, p81]