Strider PlayStation 4

7.1

1. Feb 20, 2014
    If you played and loved Strider in the past, don't even think - buy this game.
    If you enjoy Metroid-likes this is definitely in the upper echelons of the genre with rapid combat and exploration elements and a satisfying equipment progression system. I dare you to not feel like a bad ass once you start being able to reflect lasers back at the bad guys.
    A few things to note: the game is
    If you played and loved Strider in the past, don't even think - buy this game.
    A few things to note: the game is too easy on 'Medium' difficulty if you're a regular to this kind of game and I would recommend you start on Hard; occasionally the camera will freak out if you fall a very long way and fail to keep up with the player character (a minor issue); as some others have said you sometimes can't quite see what's a platform and what's background, but a quick glance at the mini-map is always enough to confirm what you can and can't stand on and finally, there are some sections with broadcasts that cause a large orange dialogue box to take up the bottom part of the screen every 15 seconds or so, which can be a little annoying when you're trying to do pixel perfect jumps.
    Lots of collectibles, plenty of exploration, challenges (combat and traversal) to unlock and a good mix of duel-style boss battles and giant arcade style fights. And while it might not be the best looking game on PS4 it has fantastic art direction and a rock solid frame rate, even when the screen gets busy.
    If this sounds like your cup of tea, don't hesitate!
  2. Feb 20, 2014
    I also played the first Strider games and I love that Strider is in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 too.
    Im glad Strider has got a new game out for the series, its a side scroller if you didn't know already, many collectables to find, Boss challenges to overcome and work on for higher difficulties.
    A fun game, feels fresh, graphics are good for the cartoon style it has. Also it was replay
    A fun game, feels fresh, graphics are good for the cartoon style it has.
    Also it was replay ability but I won't say why.

Really enjoying it.
    I recommend buying this, Capcom have no reason to be hated on this game and I purchased as soon as I seen it on the PS store.
  3. Apr 6, 2014
    Strider provides you with a great core gameplay experience, and as soon as it's explored everything the developers cared to, it stopped, and finished the game, which is great. There's no fluff, it's a great experience throughout. The game controls perfectly, it's not floaty, and you always feel powerful. You get different types of ciphers to spice things up, and are rewarded forStrider provides you with a great core gameplay experience, and as soon as it's explored everything the developers cared to, it stopped, and finished the game, which is great. There's no fluff, it's a great experience throughout. The game controls perfectly, it's not floaty, and you always feel powerful. You get different types of ciphers to spice things up, and are rewarded for exploration and perseverance with a multitude of upgrades, concept art, and costume recolors. Sure, the story isn't huge, but it's a gameplay experience. It's there for nostalgia, and for fun. I didn't want to have to care about the story, I wanted to play as Strider Hiryu and cut stuff, and that's where the game excels. The price point is also perfect for the experience. After playing the game for the first time, I went back and played it again to speed run it because it was so fun, where usually I'd take a break from the game. There isn't a great variety of music, though, now that I think of it. 8/10. Expand
  4. Apr 17, 2014
    Strider is an awesome throwback to the original. All the upgrades felt so worthwhile and kept me feeling like a badass with every new one. It may have taken me longer than average to beat this game but thats because I kept on backtracking to find the hidden collectibles.
  5. Jul 6, 2014
    I only got it since it's now "free" on PS Plus. It's not normally my kind of game but I've found it a lot of fun. It took me around 8 hours to beat it also. I found it a good challenge on Hard mode. I enjoyed the combat and the gameplay mechanics. I liked the boss fights and finding things that give you more health and powers was a cool addition. The level design was OK it was just a bitI only got it since it's now "free" on PS Plus. It's not normally my kind of game but I've found it a lot of fun. It took me around 8 hours to beat it also. I found it a good challenge on Hard mode. I enjoyed the combat and the gameplay mechanics. I liked the boss fights and finding things that give you more health and powers was a cool addition. The level design was OK it was just a bit samey and the respawing enemies if you revisited an area just after leaving it was not great but I never put my controller down.

I really enjoyed this game and more so when you get it for free. So I'll say it's a good game to pass a few hours and you will enjoy doing so. I'd give it an 8/10.
  6. Aug 3, 2014
    A fun 2D metroidvania game.
    - Excellent combat & traversal system and controls
    - Good "level & enemy" design and variety - Good map for hunting down power ups - Excellent design on having minimum amount of loading times and waiting to respawn - And a good length for speed runners and completionists for not getting bored with the game Just an excellent game overall. Thanks Double
    A fun 2D metroidvania game.
    - Excellent combat & traversal system and controls
    - Good "level & enemy" design and variety
    - Good map for hunting down power ups

Just an excellent game overall. Thanks Double Helix and Capcom.
  7. Feb 21, 2014
    Well first off I have to say $15 well spent. This new Strider is a classic throwback to original while still keeping it fresh and new. Visually the game is stunning and colors just pop. When you first get the eagle you will know what I mean. The combat is generally fast pace and quick which is a very good thing for me because it keeps you on your toes. The enemy variety is there as well IWell first off I have to say $15 well spent. This new Strider is a classic throwback to original while still keeping it fresh and new. Visually the game is stunning and colors just pop. When you first get the eagle you will know what I mean. The combat is generally fast pace and quick which is a very good thing for me because it keeps you on your toes. The enemy variety is there as well I had faced 6 different types of enemies in the first hour and a half of the game. The pacing I believe is excellent in the game well. Boss Battles seemed placed perfectly which is rare thing now. The game does kinda hand hold but only if you let it. You are free to explore the entire area you are in at almost any given time which again is a rare thing. The one and only problem I have with this game is right now it seems a bit easy but I am Normal so I think if I crank it up to hard that will immediately disappear but it so minute anyway that it doesn't even stop the epic amount of fun you have slicing up enemies left and right. This game is a great addition to the Franchise and Capcom finally did something right. I literally had to force myself to quit so I wouldn't play through most of the game in one sitting. Definitely purchase this title. Expand
  8. Oct 8, 2014
    Strider is a Metroid-vania hack and slash game in which you play a sword-wielding ninja, set in a pseudo-communist future dystopia, made by Capcom, who have being trying to get gamers to like them ever since the piddling amount of money they had left was revealed and damn it if they don't succeed at making you like them again, for a start the game is quite long, the levels are somewhatStrider is a Metroid-vania hack and slash game in which you play a sword-wielding ninja, set in a pseudo-communist future dystopia, made by Capcom, who have being trying to get gamers to like them ever since the piddling amount of money they had left was revealed and damn it if they don't succeed at making you like them again, for a start the game is quite long, the levels are somewhat expansive, non-linear and reward exploration, also the combat is absolutely fantastic and without a doubt the best part of the game, with Hiryu (or the Strider) slashing his sword in time with your button mashing. Strider is also blessed with really good boss-fights, the type which will kill you easily if you don't learn each and every one of their attacks, then you'll get mashed into the ground, which not only serves as satisfyingly difficulty but also feels rewarding as hell when you finally beat the bastard, not to mention that every time you take down a boss, you gain a new ability, giving you a combat edge necessary to handle the difficulty curve and unlock new areas you previously couldn't open, which does mean you may have to trek along the same levels however the stellar beautiful design of the backgrounds and scenery certainly makes up for this, also being able to cream several soldiers who previously gave you trouble more than helps in that regard as well.
    One complaint I have seen is that Strider doesn't have a story, which to me seems quite silly as adding in a story would merely slow it down and the whole point of Strider is that it's pulse pounding action and to be honest force feeding in sections Metal Gear style where after a boss Hiryu had a ten minute monologue on the failures of communism, would be pretty **** stupid.
    Though there is one complaint I have with the game, which drags it down to a nine instead of a ten, well two actually there was an issue where my frames per second dropped for no reason for about ten minutes, that would be some of the **** soldiers on the last level, now I know that the last level is supposed to be hard but there is a difference between hard and badly designed and I know that decreasing the score on that alone is pretty harsh but it did kind of leave me with a bitter taste, especially so since I have a suspicion they did so deliberately.
    Though all in all the game is very very good arcadey fun that I absolutely recommend to everyone, especially so considering how cheap the thing is, please do yourself a favour and pick it up.
  9. Mar 8, 2014
    for the $15 you spend to get this game, you get a great amount of content. the game play is fast, and fun, and the upgrades and abilities you find throughout the game keeps it fresh. the boss fights as well are really well done too. there's a sense of exploration as you travel through the levels. if that's not your thing there's an arrow that clearly points you where you need to go.for the $15 you spend to get this game, you get a great amount of content. the game play is fast, and fun, and the upgrades and abilities you find throughout the game keeps it fresh. the boss fights as well are really well done too. there's a sense of exploration as you travel through the levels. if that's not your thing there's an arrow that clearly points you where you need to go. graphically it's gorgeous, with no lag that I've noticed. it's an arcade-y game so there isn't too much depth to the story, and i really wish that there was. however, despite that, it's still a really good game. Expand
  10. Jul 7, 2014
    After a jaded history of attempted reboots and missing sequels, Strider finally returns once again on next gen consoles. With such gaps between entries, it’s very important to get a reboot done right so that it can be accepted by audiences and have a lasting effect. Strider takes a page from the Metroid formula and uses it well. The combined elements of both Metroid and Strider create anAfter a jaded history of attempted reboots and missing sequels, Strider finally returns once again on next gen consoles. With such gaps between entries, it’s very important to get a reboot done right so that it can be accepted by audiences and have a lasting effect. Strider takes a page from the Metroid formula and uses it well. The combined elements of both Metroid and Strider create an excellent and fun entry into the modern era.

As any reboot, the game’s plot pays homage to the original. You play as Strider Hiryu and are tasked to eliminating the “Grandmaster,” a mysterious dictator in control over the dystopian city of Kazakh. The plot pretty much ends here. Aside from your main mission, there is little to no plot involved. There are no twists and turns along the way that make for a meaningful story. From start until end, your mission is to eliminate your target and his cohorts to save Kazakh City from his rule.

The game is played across multiple areas along a 2D plane, Metroid style. Areas are high in detail and beautifully rendered all with nice glows and effects. Areas such as a robotic lab to an underground city infected with zombies are some of the few players will visit. Hidden passages and rewards are littered across the locations for the exploring type, and the color coded doors encourage players to return later for the more rewarding prizes.

Gameplay is divided into two elements: combat and platforming. The majority of the game will be spent hack and slashing through foot soliders with the Cypher, Hiryu’s plasma sword. The Cypher gains new abilities along your journey that help in creating the ultimate cyber ninja. These abilities are introduced smoothly, adding multiple new elements into combat. These abilities are chosen through the d-pad and are indicated by Hiryu’s scarf; orange for explosive attacks, blue for ice powers, etc. The various enemies are all strong and vulnerable to different attack styles so players should stay on their toes. Learning the game and its combat lead to a more rewarding experience.

Platforming adds another layer to the formula. Players are often tasked at scaling buildings and flipping through buzz saws and lasers alike. Since Hiryu can climb on walls and ceilings, it adds new opportunities to platforming as well as escapes and parkour sequences. These opportunities are a squandered, however, as there are few sequences that encourage the use of quick timing and careful jumps as found in recent platforming style games.

Along the adventure, Hiryu will take on favorites from the series. From the Wind Sisters to the bounty hunter Solo, each battle offers a diversion away from the typical combat of the core gameplay. Normally, players would hack and slash their way to victory against smaller foes. This approach is welcome but will lead to failure pretty quickly. Each boss encourages strategy and thought before attacking so players should tread lightly. Each battle is an entertaining diversion and even reward players with new powers; but be warned some bosses return as standard foes along the way.

As much as I enjoyed every moment with Strider, it isn’t without its issues. One of my major issues were that areas within the game feel repetitive. This proved an issue when I would do a bit of backtracking and feel lost after my strider ran across three rooms that all looked exactly the same. This repetition isn’t only in the environments, many of the enemies share the same features as well. Another issue I had was the lack of teleportation system. Missing a couple of collectibles on the other side of the world? Well you’re going to have to trudge all the way across the game world using a confusing map that doesn’t show which exit leads to where. This can be pretty annoying especially since each area is large and navigation can get complex.

In the end, these complaints are relatively minor and doesn’t hinder the experience as a whole. The game is fun and I wouldn’t mind seeing another one along the line. Strider is a fantastic reboot to a forgotten series as well as a fresh entry for newcomers to the franchise.
  11. Feb 24, 2014
    Definitely worth the money in terms of graphics, gameplay and controls. You have to stay on your toes when it comes to combat, and the variety of enemies is pretty high. You won't be bored and you won't regret having spent the (very affordable amount of) money on it.
  12. Apr 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

There aren't truly that many complaints about the trappings of this game, which can mostly be attributed to the well-handled controls and aesthetics. Thankfully, those complaints that do surface stem mainly from some extra, non-control and non-graphical or technical areas of the game- such as story, warps, etcetera. Now for the final verdict:

Concept: Bring back Capcom's lesser-known ninja hero, who has been trapped in limbo for far too long and needs to get a good dose of both nostalgia and the lime-light for his return. Also, for pure enjoyment and exploration of the new capabilities of consoles.

Graphics: Between the animation work and the impressive level of environmental and character detail, the game handles perfectly, runs pretty smoothly, and certainly looks impressive for a two dimensional title.

Sound: As with most of Capcom's titles, the voice work is way over the top and crazy at best, and the soundtracks include some catchy synth beat tracks and futuristic melodies to enjoy as you make the customary romp around the world defeating as many enemies as you possibly can.

Playability: Never will a new ability go to waste in this game- you'll be utilizing each and every one of them without remorse by the end. The timing of learning and upgrading is perfectly spaced out so as not to be too quickly implemented or too slowly either. The controls handle perfectly and are incredibly responsive, leading to further enjoyment in the animation, gameplay, and upgrade departments.

Entertainment: Not only a solid reboot, but a solid new game in general. There isn't really that much to complain about outside of a few minor grievances I've found within the game, and that most others have already harped on.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 8.25
  13. Feb 21, 2014
    I think the Metroidvania approach to video games allows developers to take a simple concept and inject it with depth and fun factor that it wouldn't have without that format. Strider at it's core is an arcade-style hack and slash with razor-sharp controls. Take that concept and add a huge world map with tons of secrets and you already have a great game. Throw on a coat of ninja paint andI think the Metroidvania approach to video games allows developers to take a simple concept and inject it with depth and fun factor that it wouldn't have without that format. Strider at it's core is an arcade-style hack and slash with razor-sharp controls. Take that concept and add a huge world map with tons of secrets and you already have a great game. Throw on a coat of ninja paint and this is the modern-day Strider. I recommend playing this game on hard because Normal can be crushed in an afternoon. Hard will triple the play time without adding unnecessary frustration. I gave it a 9 because the story is pretty generic but other than that it's a must-buy. Especially for just 15 bucks. I recommend getting it for the PS4. I didn't play it on the PS3 but I imagine it runs better on the 4. Expand
  14. Jun 13, 2014
    Excellent game. It keeps the original gameplay of an old arcade, but keeps you hooked with the large / explorable levels and all the upgrades you aquire during the story.

I loved the minimalistic comic / manga style graphics and the characters animations. It's really fun to play with a ninja with so many powers and skills. As you progress in the story mode you unlock more and more cool powers.

I was a bit dissapointed however with the special moves, I expected them to be more interesting / spectacular.

The constant confrontation with bosses IMO can get a bit too stressing at some points, but it's part of the game style. It

There are some flaws in the design, like for instance being killed by a boss and having to repeat a small piece of the story time after time when I got killed, that was extremely annoying.

But overall I really enjoyed this not so simple arcade style ninja game, it was well worth the money it cost.
  15. Sep 8, 2014
    Strider is truly fantastic. I think value should count a bit more for these rating, since the game was so cheap on release. Also, it became free for PS4 plus users recently.

I find that many of these remakes seem to lose the feel of the original- but not this one. The devs obviously took some time to give the speed and fighting style of the NES classic that I loved as a kid. This

This game is not splitting the atom...but that's okay- it's great fun, and sometimes that's what you want, just some great gameplay. Of all the remakes that they've done like this, for some reason this stands out to me. Maybe it's because they didn't over think it...they just gave me an awesome Strider game.
  16. Aug 10, 2015
    Best feeling of a 2D ninja. Acrobatics, Puzzles, Exploration, Arsenal, Action, Attitude. Best quote, "I will not serve you or any other dead man."

For a ninja though, he doesn't do a lot of sneaking, but that's probably to be expected in the most heavenly armed fortress.
  17. Jan 7, 2016
    Short review;

For a small price, Strider offers the gamer a fun Metroidvania-esque game with fast, responsive platforming, great level design, cool power ups and balanced difficulties. The graphics are sleek and clean, while it performs at a solid 60 FPS. ( Sadly 30 FPS on the last gen versions.) While the game can be beaten within six hours on your first playthrough, Strider enables
    Short review;

While the game can be beaten within six hours on your first playthrough, Strider enables the player to beat it again with better grades, higher difficulties and lower completion times. Just like Metroid and the classic Resident Evil games.

Strider is a fun romp for the right price.
  18. Nov 11, 2014
    Strider..Remember on Megadrive.. Hiryu back on PS4 ! Graphically it's beautiful. The gameplay is fast and technical. Levels are of interest.

Graphics 8/10
    Music 8/10
    Gameplay 9/10

My overall score is 8

1. Dec 20, 2015
    Solid sound, excellent graphics for what it is, fair writing.
  2. Aug 25, 2014
    A quality remake that is well worth the price tag.
  3. Apr 29, 2014
    Strider is a great example of how you can reboot an old arcade game with modern sensibilities and still keep it true to its roots.