6.4

1. Feb 25, 2014
    You must be kidding me, First they got rid of the original voice actor which should have been a sign they did not know what they were doing. I wonder if any of the people that designed this game ever played the original PC game. It had open levels not constrained like this thing is. If you have height in a game there should be a fear of falling and not even to include jumping is the dumbest idea have ever seen. I cant believe they f upped a classic. Expand
  2. Feb 26, 2014
    Please, for the love of god. Support good video games in the industry by NOT BUYING THIS!!! This is such a mess I don't even know where to begin.

Okay, so they ripped almost the entire sound element of Thief out the window, the only things on the floor that make any more noise than complete silence are shards of glass and water. Every NPC's voice volume is at the same level to the point
    where you can't tell if someone is right beside you or two rooms away. It's a fascinatingly large **** in the sound department, to say the least.

Now on to the marketed "amazing immersive AI" that was in the Steam Store Page feature list, a FLAT OUT LIE. This game has some of the worst AI I've seen in a modern video game, you can get seen by guards and hide in a **** cupboard and they will forget you are there and go back to their business. You can do this six times in a row and they'd be as surprised to see you as they were the first time, and as entirely clueless at knowing where you are hiding as every consecutive time you had hidden in the same place.

The loot aspect is entirely downplayed, Garrett is no longer a master thief, but a petty hoarder. He grabs absolutely everything, from metal cups and cutlery to scissors and magnifying glasses worth 1-5 gold each. This is the stuff that Garrett would quickly gloss over while looking for precious golden candlesticks and expensive wines in the old games.

Not only this but loot doesn't even factor into the objectives of the damn game, and why would it, since the Garrett character has been so butchered and he's been put to live in an abandoned clocktower. He has no need for loot to pay the rent just to stay alive like our previous Garrett.

On top of all this, and the rest about Garrett's character being butchered, which is far too much for me to fit into this 5000 word maximum review, the levels are linear as all-hell. Everything is a straight corridor, every place you have to break in to has one way that the developers planned for you to use, gone are the days of open-ended Thief levels, now it plays like a mix between Call of Duty and Uncharted as far as level design goes.

Rope arrows have also been butchered, if you thought their removal from Deadly Shadows was bad, you're going to wish you had the Climbing Gloves. The Rope Arrows in this new Thief game can only attach to very specific roped wooden beam spots, not any wooden surface, they may as well not be a rope arrow at this point.

The dialogue is atrocious, even if you don't count the two main characters acting like they're in a emo teen angst movie. The guards are constantly mumbling about extremely stupid **** like "cock-rings".

Please, save your money and help the industry by not buying this excrement. If you really can't stand the old Thief games because you feel they're dated and want to try a game like old Thief then the closest you're going to find is Dishonored. Buy and play that instead.
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief 1 & 2 are classics, forever changing what we thought video games were capable of. This ugly reboot gets Thief about as wrong as it is possible to get wrong. I kid you not, there is a sequence where you are chased rooftop to rooftop by dogs and if you screw up or slow down you are killed. This game is a total mess, watered down, linear, consolized and casualized for the ignorant masses. There is such incredible content still being made for Thief on PC, The HD Mods, The Dark Mod with new levels being released constantly, there is absolutely no reason to pay for this garbage. Expand
  4. Feb 28, 2014
    If you take a look at Killzone for PS4 rating, it got more than Thief. I mean - what were you thinking people? If dumb idea-free action is better than balanced tactical game, from the metacritic "critics" point of view, I sincerely don't know what to say.
  5. Feb 27, 2014
    I am going to sum this game up real quick. I just beat it and it had to be the worse Stealth game I have ever played. Stay away from this game. I rented it and I am so glad I did. If you ignore my advice do not say I did not worn you. Also if you are looking for a good story you will not even find one here. I played through it and I do not even know what happened. Just terrible and the biggest let down so far this year. Expand
  6. Feb 28, 2014
    - poor level design
    - poor AI
    - cliché story
    - dubstep (I **** you not)
    This game is a mockery of its predecessors.
    This game is only "Thief" in name.
    Do not buy it.
  7. Feb 28, 2014
    Disclaimer: I’m not the type of person to write reviews but since Thief is one of, if not my favourite series of games I felt I should on this occasion. This decision was also made in-part due to a ridiculous amount of clearly fake reviews here, as well as shill posts on steam & various gaming boards around the net. I'm incredibly disappointed in the dev team and square enix for attempting to dump money trying to buy a better 'score' & sales rather than spending the money making a better game.

- Lighting is binary, you're either visible or you're not. Fog is everywhere but does nothing.
    - Sound is largely irrelevant when compared with previous games,
    - Controls are limited after being designed for controllers, 2 sets of crucial actions (Movement/Interaction) are grouped and unchangeable. Enjoy falling off a building after mantling when you intended to climb instead.
    - AI is probably some of the worst I’ve ever seen (Thief 1 & 2 actually have superior AI).
    - Level design is mostly corridors & shafts. In each level there’s 2 routes minimum, didn’t find more than 3. Obvious ‘stealth’ route, alternate route/Deus Ex HR-style ventilation shaft route & then a more ambitious, often vertical route if you’re lucky.
    - Missions: They very quickly devolve into find whatever/go-to wherever to watch the next cutscene and witness the atrocious story.
    - Garrett: Generic, modern protag who the world revolves around. No witty remarks, mostly just blurts out edgy comments or recounts information the player is already aware of.
    - Port: Pretty good except for the memory leaks & crashes.
    - Graphics: Bloated, old unreal engine 3 with improved crisp shadows. Colour palette: blue + orange only.
    - Story: I’d actually be wasting your time on this planet if I attempted to try and repeat it.

More words:
    - Load screen & cutscene to gameplay ratio is ridiculous
    - You can’t jump (there is limited contextual jumping/mantling)
    - Viewmodel fov (T-Rex/invisible piano hands) is immersion breaking & may also induce nausea
    - There is a qte within the first 30 seconds of gameplay
    - Forced takedown sequences
    - Forced escape sequences
    - Thirdperson climbing sequences
    - Occasional QTE before load screens/level loads
  8. Mar 2, 2014
    Another textbook betrayal of a previously classic series. One more drop in the ever-heavier bucket of video game industry degeneracy. The crash cannot come soon enough.
  9. Mar 2, 2014
    The game is quite boring and unappealing. Level progression feels more like an arcade rather than an open world. Stealth mechanics are quite repetitive. Story is predictable and the characters are plain an uncharismatic. Definitely I won't buy this game. Furthermore are many technical issues out there about problems with graphical glitches and bad performance.

Graphically the world is
    beautifully designed. The textures may have some room for improvement but that all. I'm giving it 3 points for level design and graphic in general. One more point for a badly executed but daring attempt of boobies and adult motives. The rest of the game is expendable. Expand
  10. Feb 26, 2014
    What a colossal waste of money. After being disappointed with how this House mutilated the Deus Ex sequel I should have known better than to buy Thief but I just couldn’t help it. I absolutely loved the franchise and I wanted to believe (I really, really did) that they would do it right. But alas a few hours in and I just can’t take it anymore; I’m uninstalling and I only have myself to blame. As a middle age PC gamer I can’t stand games that lead you around by the nose like the very limiting linear path through the missions or the over the top (for those who can’t be bother to try and figure ANYTHING out) focus “ability”. It’s sad when they chose to make a game that while trying to build suspense by having you cross a beam 2 stories up they make it so you can’t fall or because you’re so limited as what types of moves the Devs think you should be allowed to do in a given situation, they have to make what little is open for you to touch glow blue because you’re obviously not bright enough to figure it out for yourself or for that matter, have a world full of objects but make them unable to be touched or manipulated. What kind of 1980’s hardware are we running on?!? You really can’t bump into something or pick up a bottle on the same table as a goblet that was worth something so you can throw it to distract the guards…really. To make matters worse, the voice acting is second rate and the story is lacking in so many ways it’s pathetic. It fails to pull you in or engage you in any way (the truest old time Thief experience is found in side missions that have no bearing on the story). This game reeks as just a money grab on a venerable franchise that had no one to protect it. Eidos Montreal should be ashamed; I know I am for wasting the $45 on it.
    Maybe it’s me but I can’t stand houses such as Eidos Montreal nerfing the controls in PC versions in favor of features like the cover system in DEHR or the lean mechanic and multi-function (just not the one you want right now) button in Thief. I’m thinking it’s just that they are console players and have no grasp on how to play with a keyboard and mouse. I could be wrong but there is no PC player that likes the cover mechanic in a FPS unless they’re playing with a controller. I’m not against console control options but just like every PC gamer out there, I can crouch and move while aiming and accurately firing without some help and without nerfing my controls; it’s not hard.
    This game fails on too many levels. There may be some of you out there who don’t know the franchise and have low expectations but I think that even you will be disappointed with this game.
  11. Feb 28, 2014
    Question: Whoa....how BAD is this game? Answer: How do I get a refund for a digital download? switch(category){ category 1: If you played Thief (originals) on PC and "enjoyed" them AND you are over 18y/o, you will probably not find the game enjoyable. category 2: If you have an xbox and are 8-11y/o you might enjoy this, if your mom buys this for you. category 3: If you enjoy "swooping" (are you serious?) and "running through" (do me a favour) an interactive, but super-linear, pile of junk-trash, then you might enjoy this, also.
    }
    Just sayin'.

Very surprised by the heroic scores of "critic" reviews. Do not be blinded by the 10/10 or 90% scores...one imagines there are incentives for those people posting such reviews and scores.

Since the dawn of time, mankind has struggled with difficult philosophical questions such as, "how did the universe begin?" and "is there a God?". Add to that list "how was this piece of amateur-code allowed to be part of the Thief franchise?"

It shall remain unknowable.

I am attempting to get a refund - that was no joke. I am a real human reviewer/gamer who played the original thief classic titles on PC.
  12. Feb 28, 2014
    The number of reviewers paid off by Square Enix for this game are astounding. Square Enix buys non-native English speakers by the bulk on black hat forums. Each day a representative from a shell company from a major corporation goes to a forum and requests, say 100 reviews, from various individuals who can mask different addresses. They're paid roughly a dollar a review and if it dupes just one consumer's mind in thinking they want the product, they have done their jobs.

Do not let that happen.

Sure a few of these reviews have been conducted by old time fans' of the series. That is clearly evident by some of the rambling diatribe and the counteracting subjective scores. But look closely at the accounts that are created for the sole purpose of defending an anti-smear campaign by the public.

Prepositions are non-existent (foreigners of a native language often forget the connecting words when translating. They touch base on only a few features of the game and admit to one or two weaknesses to get you to think they are "just like you".

Frankly I'm appalled that this is going on, on every major website that 18-34's frequent. If it wasn't so obvious, I would have left it alone. Do other companies do this? Sure, but not to this extent. The collaborative effort on this must have cost 1/3 of their total game budget. If they spent half the time they do now employing people to write ghost reviews then they could have fixed various bugs, glitches and linearity in the game itself.

And that leaves me with the actual review. It's not a bad game. It's not a good game. It simply exists. If they make bank on it, it's because it came out when there was a shallow market and a demand for anything on next gen systems. Its spiritual predecessor, Dishonored, did everything fundamentally better without sacrificing. If the gameplay is good, I can overlook the story. If the story is good, I can overlook the gameplay. But by no means can you make me go from Point A to Point B, give me nothing to do along the way but steal some petty coins that are useless in a boring merchant system, and force a story that is shallow, pedantic and frankly -- very cliche. The guards conversations are repeated many a time to force dialogue in a lifeless atmosphere. The sound is absolutely horrid for a stealth game. As many other reviews have noted, someone who is two buildings away sounds like they are right next to you. It really ruins the experience.

Albeit it being a monotonous money grab, I've played worse. And by worse, I mean Rambo.
  13. Mar 1, 2014
    I'll start off with The Thief Series is Dead, Eidos Killed it. They have a saying if it's not broken don't fix it. Oh boy did they try fix something that didn't need fixing. -Great Level Design Gone! -Great Ai Challenge Gone! -Great Story Gone! -Hammers, Keepers etc Gone! -Great GamePlay Gone! -Great Voice Actor (real garret gone!) -Great Atmosphere Gone! -Freedom gone! It also borrows elements from Assassins Creed. They might get sued by UBISoft who knows.
    The game is just not challenging, it's moves too quickly, too linear, feels generic, nothing memorable about it. This game is total disgrace to be even part of series, it like Call of Duty mixed with very dumbed down version Thief with it's core mangled. They should of called this something else, like Chief or something and called Garret... Thorn or something or something. Mixing Garret and the real Thief Series in this is game is a total disgrace. This goes to show the how bad video games are becoming, being dumbed down every single year.

This is not Thief! it's total junk.
  14. Mar 6, 2014
    It really is sad, you can tell they didn't intend to make a good game, they just wanted money, with all the advertisements in ign and other networks i was hoping a good game, but what did i found?, bad mechanics (fighting mechanics are a joke), decent graphics, but totally, not next gen ones, a world that seems to be an open one, but in fact is formed by a lot of small maps and lots of loading screens, repetitive game play, weird story, terrible soundtrack. I didn't like it all all. It was just a huge waste of money, I just finished the game waiting for something different to happen, and to not feel that i lose my money, but at the end nothing happened and i feel like i did lose it.
    Despite the story was weird, i will give some credit to it, it was, i would say, good, but i brought a game not a book.
  15. Mar 3, 2014
    Do not waste money on this. Especially not if you are looking for next gen worthy game. No need to call people who don't like it morons. There are those of us who played Thief since it's inception in the late 90's and this is not even the genetically mutated offspring of that franchise.

Edios have taken Hitman, Square Enix have take deus ex's skins they have put them together into a
    COD style linear level format, with a fairly bland story.

The levels look very nice, but the lighting is incredibly frustrating where is the light the light? It seems that shards of light at not shards of light they are darkness.

But anyway, if you have a PC get it nefariously and judge for yourself first before dropping money on this bland dross.
  16. Mar 2, 2014
    I spend more money on games than I'd like to admit. Given the amount of games I play, it's natural that all of them are not pure awesome and I accept that. However with Thief I feel that I've been brutally cheated. I begin my review from the assumption that it's a 10/10 game (what I expected).

-1 point : Contextual jumping & climbing. Seriously? Really frustrating.
    -1 point :
    Contextual sound? Sounds coming through walls ridiculously loud only after it's triggered by looking into a room. Also lip sync is way off.
    -1 point : Loading all the frigging time. Each area is a small box with a couple of side alleys. Horrible map design.
    -1 point : A stealth game with missions which have Pipe A and Pipe B (or just Pipe A)? Absolutely no room for creative solutions.
    -1 point : Only a few doors/windows can be operated. It's silly that most of the doors are impenetrable by the best thief in town. There's nothing to really discover.
    -1 point : Just for the missed potential and overall feeling of a hastily finished product.

This leaves us at a disappointing 4/10 game. It has nice graphics and the controls work for me (except for the contextual movement). Also some of the stealthy bits are fun. I was expecting much more. As a stealth game this is far too simple for my taste. I will not be buying the possible sequel if this is the route they are taking Thief to. I feel cheated.
  17. Jul 16, 2014
    Thief absolutely is a stinker.

Rails gameplay, SMALL MAPS, last gen graphics.

DO NOT RECOMMEND. BUY DISHONORED FOR LAST GEN, MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER GAME
  18. Mar 12, 2014
    Thief is slow, repetitive and boring. The graphics are good but the gameplay sucks. Overall the voice acting is bad too. Don't buy it and save your money for Titanfall.
  19. Feb 27, 2014
    Janky controls ruin what might be an otherwise good game. They chose a weird setup for the way controls work, specifically flaunting traditional FPS standards. Additionally the controls are slow and clunky to react with. Finally, and worst of all, the game restarts you from terrible points any time you fail at a task with very long load times by modern video game standards. A very bad showing on this effort. Expand
  20. Mar 9, 2014
    It's interesting to see the divide of opinions on this game. Some people absolutely love it while others find it abysmal.
    First a little about myself. I'm an experienced (read old) gamer. I enjoy stealth games and stealth classes a lot. My favorites games in this aspect would include everything from Skyrim and WoW (stealth classes obviously) to Batman and Metal Gear. I don't care if I
    move at half speed of everyone else as long as I can sneak through a level undetected. I am also an avid level reseter. If I get detected, I will restart the level rather than fight my way out.
    Taken all this into account, Thief sounded right up my alley, I watched preview video and read a lot about the beloved series that I hadn't yet tried. It seemed like Thief would have controls similar to Skyrim's thief and would add open vertical exploration and parkour like Assassin's Creed. It sounded perfect to me but what I was given was far from perfect. The sum of the parts underwhelmed me and I have stopped playing after eight hours.

Pros:
    +Game controls are well done. Almost everything from the game's dash mechanism, called swoop, to jumping between buildings felt effortless. When you're supposed to be a "master" of any sort, controls are what deliver the feeling. The one detraction was dropping down from a ledge.
    +The hiding in shadows mechanic is well done and the PS4 controller's light bar brightens to help warn you when you're in bright light.
    +Lock-picking and switch games are fun if you have to pick them before you get caught. They add tension in those situations, but when you have no chance of getting caught they just slow up game play. It reminded me of rolling an automatic 20 outside of combat.
    +As you pass by windows you hear ambient conversations from inside the homes which adds flavor to the period element of the game.

Cons
    - Protagonist is petulant and unlikeable. Brooding main characters appeal to a niche group. They're probably very hard to write for and fabricate a reason for them to care about the bigger picture.
    -The lack of color is too extreme. Design went too far in setting the dark and dingy tone.
    -Swiping from drawers is senseless and gets old quickly. I swipe scissors, flasks, ashtrays, etc, of differing metal qualities and my bag instantly converts them to gold. This is probably the most consistent income source so I felt compelled to open all the drawers Oddly they never contain more than one item.
    -Each level/mission I encountered had two paths at most. I didn't feel like I could vary more than a few steps in any given direction. I had no desire or ability to fully explore my surroundings.
    -I broke into homes and the private residents had "paths". I understand making a guard path. It's like they're patrolling. When I break into someone's home and he makes the same twenty second loop from the fireplace to his wife in bed, it was very weird. It was such a short loop as well that it made that mission more tedious than exhilarating.
    -The highly detailed environments felt oddly empty. There was so much to see yet so little to interact with. The world felt plastic and nailed down.

With opinions swaying so widely, I would advise newcomers and veterans alike to rent before buying. Maybe wait for a sale, or buy it used. My local Best Buy will have a new pre-played copy after today.
  21. Mar 2, 2014
    This game has great potential, the game play is interesting and the graphics are awesome. Why the poor review then? First, the bugs, the cut scenes are filled with them. The main character get put in front of everything, there are frequent frame rate drops and the voices are completely out of sync in some of them. Secondly, the game does not let you go where ever you want. You can only climb or go down where the developers wanted you to do so. Sadly, I cannot give a high review to this game in it's current state. Maybe once the game has seriously been patched then I'll re-check it. Expand
  22. Mar 5, 2014
    This game is really bored ! You are stuck in small part of the city (really small) This is not an open world you are locked! The IA is really stupid and the hero is like a pig really slow and he don't know fight the infiltration is bored too you are obliged to wait three minutes for a guard moves 3MINS EVERY TIMES!
    Copy/paste of dishonored with new disease, If you have Dishonored don't
    buy this game!

French
    Ce jeu est ennuyant à tout points! vous êtes bloqué dans une petite partie de la ville et je précise ce n'est pas un monde ouvert! L 'IA est complétement stupide le héro est comme un porc lent et il ne sait pas ce battre. Si vous avez Dishonored n'aheter pas ce jeu sa n'en vaut pas la peine. Copier/colé de Dishonored avec une nouvelle maladie, Si vous avez dishonored n'acheter pas ce jeu!
  23. Mar 5, 2014
    Good controls and solid visuals can not save this game from being painfully mediocre. If you enjoy running around and tapping one button to pick things up, then this is the game for you. You will not be able to wait until you can put the controller down to play something else.
  24. Mar 7, 2014
    Ok i never played the originals, but i am a major fan of good stealth based action games, this however is not one. The characters are extremely annoying, not least Garrett, whose continual interjections make playing the game almost embarrassing. The game play is again a real issue for me as it often feels clumsy and rigid, with the player operating under the pretence of an open world setting. In reality however there is very much a set path throughout the game usually marked out by inexplicable white paint. The story is also very poor, expect no polt twists at all and for the most part no plot. Finally the graphics are quite good especially on the characters, but I did play on Ps4 so this is to be expected.
    Over all a very poor game not nearly worh the 50 pounds i paid. Disappointing Eidos!
  25. Mar 8, 2014
    the game meant to be an action-stealth but turns out you have to go just stealth, because if suddenly you have to fight to gourds you will probably end up dead as it's so hard to fight. The fight is a boring same-paste movement that you have to dodge and counter attack over and over again and if it's 3 or more you will have no chance. Environment and map is good as you can choose different ways to reach a place but again the key-binding on the movement is not clear at all, as you see a box or and edge that you think you can easily climb ,turns out you cant because you are not supposed to go that way. graphic is good (8/10) but the facial expression is really bad. Story is weak as you will totally forget the characters , except one or 2. overall one of the games that had a amazing trailer but a very disappointing lunch. Expand
  26. Mar 13, 2014
    Thief is a game that fails on too many levels to make it a worthwhile addition to anyone's gaming collection. It cannot keep a frame rate above even 30fps if anything is moving at the same time you move. The visuals are bland, uninspired and just plain bad. The controls are finicky and unresponsive. The level design is linear. Most of the time it only gives you one way to pass through a room, which in a game that strives to give you the freedom to move as you see fit, seems pointless and frustrating. Most of what you steal is silverware, which makes you feel like more of an annoyance than a true thief. The story is boring, characters uninteresting, and the voice acting is on par with any performance by Keanu Reeves. Expand
  27. Mar 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Poor IA, graphics still on old gen. So many bugs. I`m disappointed with square enix. I bought this game on amazon thinking thats was a blockbuster but isn't. Expand
  28. Mar 24, 2014
    The people at Eidos Montreal should hide in shame for allowing this game to be released in it's current state and Square Enix should really do a better job of Q&A to make sure that developers aren't rushing to get games out of the door. TO ALL DEVELOPERS : THIEF IS THE TYPE OF GAME THAT YOU WILL GET IF YOU RUSH YOUR PRODUCT TO RETAIL!!! The voice acting is mediocre, the story is all over the place, the controls need a separate set of instructions to get through, The graphics are ok at best, there are too many glitches for a finally product, and the gameplay has a few good moments, but those moments are overshadowed by how horribly the rest of the game is put together. If this game was 15 bucks I'd say buy it, and even then I'd say buy it at your own risk. Expand
  29. May 5, 2014
    when you promise perfection mediocrity looks so much worse and that is what this game is mediocre. If you want a stealth game this is it, all of it and there is literally nothing else in this game worth talking about. the powers are for the most part useless. The upgrade system is practically useless especially since you have to buy levels this is made by the makers of deus ex human revolution not dark souls. The story is ridiculous and the next gen version is held back to post gen designs like windows you have to pry open to cover up loading screens. deus ex human revolution had a larger more bustling city with less loading screens. Not to mention the game promised you would have options in your approach with nonlethal or lethal but that is almost a lie i remember in one of the first levels i was going to shoot a guy with a broadhead through the head which i did and he didn't even die he turned around and sounded the alarm. the side missions are also pointless since they only take up about 4 minutes and boil down to fetch quests since there is practically no challenge involved. Eidos Montreal made Deus Ex Human Revolution one of my favorite games of all time they have no excuse for releasing such an underwhelming title.
    I give it a 3 because the lockpicking is fun and tense that is all.
  30. Jun 29, 2014
    Your are Garrett the MASTER thief... that sound awesome doesn't it?? When you finish a mission you ended up with 64% completion because you didn't steal enough silver spoon... because every one knows that master thief steal over 50 silver spoon per night right??
  31. Jun 30, 2014
    Thief is a terrible, bland and bleak game that lacks any ingenuity or flair of its predecessors. The stealth action genre has exponentially expanded and flourished over the past few years, with many games such as Dishonoured and Bioshock: Infinite taking centre stage. These games have given the player an almost unending array of choices when it comes to gameplay, decisions and how to execute your mission. However, Thief lacks this creativity, and displays a complete loss of initiative and idea when it comes to bringing something new to the table.

Yes, I understand that the colours scheme of the game is dark, but the graphics are extremely subpar, considering that this is a new cross-generation game. The attention to detail, is almost no attention to detail; with the storyline being even more questionable. How bland and ordinary the storyline appears is even more shocking. Could they have not put in any less of an effort?

Thief encourages sneaking in the shadows over full-frontal assault, but it does not even feel like much of an accomplishment when the AI is slow, dim and inconceivably boring. No threat is felt the entire way through the game. It’s more scary what to decide to eat from the fridge.

The price of Thief is still quite high at your local brick-and-mortar shops (like Target/Big W/JB), and I’m thinking that it’s not only a lack of customer interest, but perhaps even the big stores don’t remember that they even have it in stock (due to lack of sales) and are unaware to mark it down! I kid here, but in all seriousness, do NOT bother with this game.[Especially for this price, or any price for that matter.]
  32. Aug 6, 2014
    It's easy on the eyes, but I found it quite dull. It also doesn't really do a very good job of explaining what is going on either. Better stealth games are out there I would say.
  33. May 7, 2014
    I've spent about 48 hours on this game, and I should say that I'm *very* glad I didn't buy it (a friend of mine was very kind to allow me to play his copy).
    While it sounds ridiculous, but in Thief 2014, you *don't* even need to steal, at all... The game will anyway reward you at the end of each mission, so why bother? Nice, isn't it?
    The setting. Remember the old three Thief games? Ok,
    now forget them! Since Thief 2014 is a reboot, you will encounter *nothing* from the old ones. I mean Eidos Montreal has *totally* destroyed and erased everything that made Thief series so unique: Keepers, Pagans, Hammerites, Mechanists, Kurshoks, burricks, and hell - even zombies! Everything!
    The plot. Definitely the worst I ever met in video games. Just abominable! You still have some doubts? Ok then. Just try to watch the *bossfight* with Thief Taker General on YouTube and see for yourself. Yeah, *bossfights* in a *stealth* game.
    The audio. It's just disgusting. All NPCs have just two phrases, and several NPCs have even just *one* phrase. And you know what? These NPCs will repeat their "repertoire" till the kingdom come, with just *one* second interval. Sound propagation works so erroneously, so it was a real pain for me to understand where the sound came from.
    The protagonist. His new voice, by Romano Orzari, sounds so dull and boring! Instead, the old Garrett's voice, by Stephen Russell, was just brilliant! So if you still love Stephen Russell's voice as Garrett in Thief 1&2&3, you will absolutely be disappointed by Romano Orzari's voice in Thief 2014.

Bottom line: it's a tasteless hack, so make yourself a favour and save your money for something really useful.
  34. Jun 29, 2014
    Rubbish, pure and utter rubbish, i bought this game at 19.99 and thought it cant be THAT bad as some reviews make out but trust me, its worse, i went by IGN's 6.8 and boy is that a generous score. This game is dull, lifeless, boring, broken, depressing, i struggle to think anything good about this game

1. Mar 26, 2014
    The biggest problem for this game is every stealth game that has come since Thief: the Dark Project. Thief can’t match the visual flair and supernatural powers of Dishonored. It doesn’t have the lean efficiency and murderous creativity of the Hitman series; it trails the razor’s edge stealth and gadget lust of Splinter Cell; it lacks the vision and bombast of the Metal Gear series. Hell, it doesn’t even have a very good thief.
  2. Mar 21, 2014
    The return of the master thief Garrett is a mixed bag. Thief builds on its series proud heritage of tactile stealth, focusing on realism but loses some of the way to modern design trends. Thief has some unnecessary padding that smooth out the gameplay as well as some cinematic ambitions that do not reach all the way. Above all, it is plagued by qualitative valleys that appear to be a result of a stressed launch. Nevertheless, Thief gets a weak recommendation because the basic formula is still fun and somewhat unique.
  3. A nail-biting experience needing a few more coats of polish to stand out. [April 2014, p76]