6.2

1. Mar 1, 2014
    One of the best action-stealth titles in years and the first real lived game that actually makes you feel like a real thief yourself. This game has potential to start this year right.

Maki.
  2. Feb 26, 2014
    All in all, Thief is not a bad game. It may have its flaws, but at the end of the day it's fun to play and to be honest I don't see why it got poor reviews aside from the fact that there is too much nostalgia being applied by reviewers who want the new Thief to be like the games from 10+ years ago.

I've never played the old Thief games, so perhaps that's beneficial for me since I have no previous expectation of what the game should be like.

The PS4 graphics look fine. They're not "next gen" but then this is a game that was in development for many years, primarily for PS3 and XBox, so you're not going to see Killzone Shadow Fall type visuals but it's no worse than any other game I've played over the past few years. The next-gen games will come, but it's too early at this point so people should stop expecting it.

Gameplay is fine. It's a stealth game and there's lots of opportunity for sneaking around, and there's a ton of collectibles if you're into trophy hunting that will keep you busy for some time. Combat is weak, but then combat is to be avoided anyway so if you take that approach (the correct approach for this sort of game) then it won't be an issue.

The story is sort of weak, and the voice acting isn't anything to get excited about, but it's a game not a Oscar contender so again I'm not all that bothered. I want to play the game, not watch endless cutscenes. Not every game is going to have the story quality of The Last of Us, that's just a fact.

Is it worth $60? That depends on what sort of game you like. If you like stealth games where sneaking around is the preferred method of gameplay and aren't too bothered by games that lead you from checkpoint to checkpoint (as most do) then you'll probably enjoy it. If you're looking for an open world Thief game along the lines of Red Dead Redemption or GTA then no, you're going to find it restrictive.

But, to me it's a good game. I'm enjoying it and it's fun to play. That's what I want in a game.

PS: I would ignore any reviews that rate this game below a 5, there's absolutely no reason why anyone should rate the game this low, and those that do are not looking at it honestly.
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    I have enjoyed this game so far and while it is not a 10 or 9 and if i am honest 8 might be stretching it this game is still solid 7.5-7.9 range. To address some concerns i have heard 1.Load times yes they do occur in the city but from what i have seen they are forewarned before hand and also they can be lengthy but they appear not to as abundant as some have stated 2. frame rate duringI have enjoyed this game so far and while it is not a 10 or 9 and if i am honest 8 might be stretching it this game is still solid 7.5-7.9 range. To address some concerns i have heard 1.Load times yes they do occur in the city but from what i have seen they are forewarned before hand and also they can be lengthy but they appear not to as abundant as some have stated 2. frame rate during gameplay i have found no stutters however during the fmv their is sometimes a noticeable slowing however it could be meant as a misguided attempt for artistic flair 3. Story ok people lets be honest the story in thief games has always been slightly confusing and tied up in some strange socioreligous themes (see the hammers). My opinion if you play thief mainly for the story and not the game play your missing the point :D. all in all i give it a 7.8 if you enjoy stealth game play you will enjoy this game if not this is not for you Expand
  4. Feb 25, 2014
    So Thief has arrived and I've read many reviews that just punish this game, for many reasons. The first reason I'd like to dismiss is the one where THIEF is just trying to be DISHONORED. There would be no Dishonored without Thief. I loved Dishonored by the way. I'm probably 3 hours into Thief, I bought it day 1 digital, before the reviews came out. While it does borrow from DishonoredSo Thief has arrived and I've read many reviews that just punish this game, for many reasons. The first reason I'd like to dismiss is the one where THIEF is just trying to be DISHONORED. There would be no Dishonored without Thief. I loved Dishonored by the way. I'm probably 3 hours into Thief, I bought it day 1 digital, before the reviews came out. While it does borrow from Dishonored mildly it's still a Thief game. I'm have so much fun. It's a really amazing stealth game. You do feel like a Thief. Complaints about the world being confined or claustrophobic, I just don't get. The world has a very distinct feel and flow and I like it. It's moody and beautiful. It's dark. I love it. I love stumbling upon someones' place and looting it. It's very satisfying. The A.I. is not as bad as the reviews say. At least not for me. I think the harder the difficulty level, the smarter the enemies are. As for traversing the world I have yet to fall from anything without it being my fault. My biggest complaint so far with the whole game is the clumsy use of the ps4 touch pad to access my inventory. It's maddening sometimes. You try and select something to use and it becomes a motor skills mini game they never intended. Anyway. If you like stealth games, give it a try. It's pretty damn great. I should address the combat. You should never get into a fight in thief. You are weak and more than one guy will off you. It's not meant to be that game. It's a stealth game. Could of used more polish for sure. But not as bad as they say. If you were excited for this game, give it a shot. I'm sure glad that I did. Expand
  5. Feb 25, 2014
    Great stealth game, a few things are wrong like audio bugs. But seriously if you play this in hardcore and ghost mode you will have serious fun. A must buy on PS4 and PC.
  6. Feb 25, 2014
    What a great way to revisit the old Thief franchise, I am having a total blast with this game. I turned off the options that help lead the player through the game by the nose (by highlighting every treasure or interactive item) and am really sitting down to take my time and inch my way through, making sure I get every coin on the street. The game shines for me when I slip those lockpicksWhat a great way to revisit the old Thief franchise, I am having a total blast with this game. I turned off the options that help lead the player through the game by the nose (by highlighting every treasure or interactive item) and am really sitting down to take my time and inch my way through, making sure I get every coin on the street. The game shines for me when I slip those lockpicks back into my sleeves, crack that door open to a new room, and start picking it apart for bits of treasure. The story is alright so far, if I have any complaints it is that the maps are sometimes restrictive in making the player stick to the rails - something that drove me crazy about the Bioshocks. The environments are a little more free here at least, and certainly more rewarding to explore.

I'm hoping for some expansion into multiplayer maps (coop or competitive - thieves competing to get the highest total, thieves vs guards, etc?). I'm damn glad that this has finally been released, and I really think it has been worth the wait. The grandfather of stealth games might not have revolutionized the genre here, but it has definitely made one of the most solid entries.

I am running the PC version, and it's too bad that I don't have a PS4 controller to play around with the vibration feedback, that sounds like a great feature. Steam kind of screwed me over with an extra 40 minutes of downloading before I could start playing even though I finished my preload the night before release, but neither of those things are problems of the game itself. Once the post preload finished, I got straight in and had no problems at all.
  7. Mar 3, 2014
    I just finished. For me it's one of the best stealth games. Loved the scenes, characters and the story. I don't know why hating this game. Can only be poser player. Nowadays it seems that no one else knows how to enjoy and have fun in a game.
  8. Feb 25, 2014
    So awesine, reminds me of Dishonored i love the stealth gameplay in this game thank you Square Enix * Eidos Montreal!!!! cant wait for a Thief 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some thingsThief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some things have changed, 99% of it remains the same but better than ever. 10/10, well deserved! Expand
  10. Mar 2, 2014
    I recently purchased this game off of the idea that this was purely a stealth game. It's a bit like assassin's creed in first person without all the killing.

I was concerned as this game has had such mixed reviews, but alas I went ahead and purchased. I'm glad I did. This game is good. It's not great, but it is definitely NOT BAD. The graphics and atmosphere are amazing. Sneaking around and trying to steal things off of guards or in front of a sleeping person is just... Gratifying.

Combat is non-existent. You can do some stealth takedowns, but if you get caught by more than one guard, it's game over. As it should be in a true stealth game.

People were complaining about a mass amount of loading screens. I have not noticed an abundance of them. I let my friend play and he took a different route than I did for the same objective. It was interesting to see him play (He was very aggressive and at the end of the level was 78% Predator and then split between Ghost.)

I play with headphones on and the room darkened and it definitely increased my immersion as this game is inherently dark and moody. Make sure to turn off the focus and most of the hand holding difficulty options to make the game more tense and feel more open ended.

Cons: I did notice some choppiness in the PS4 framerates (Like if you'd want to turn VSYNC on if it was a PC...) Also the dialogue with the guards gets repetitive. Sometimes the AI is completely ignorant.

A few patches and I believe this game will be up to many's expectations as for the game. As of right now if you are a fan of pure stealth gameplay and don't mind a bug or two, pick up this game. If not, wait it out for patches or rent it. It is enjoyable.
  11. Mar 2, 2014
    Basically this is exactly what i wanted in a new Thief game, a stealth game isn't everyone's cup of tea but if you liked the previous iterations you will enjoy the sneaking in this game!
  12. Mar 2, 2014
    Whats going on how is this a bad game its very exciting to me it has to be the best game out there for next gen for now. i don't really see much wrong in the game i though they nailed it.
  13. Feb 26, 2014
    Let me start out by saying I am completely impartial to anyone else's opinions and my review is my own perception of this game.

I played the original thief as a young teen and wasn't capable of completing it or completely understanding the game. What i do remember is it was a hard, dark, and a fun game. The new reboot is exactly that. For one, Square Enix does an excellent job of bringing you back into previous worlds from past games. Garret feels like he belongs in this world. He is at home, and it feels and plays like the first one. They also did great at making Agent 47 fit perfectly in the newest Hitman reboot rather similarly. The controls take a minute to get used to, but they work well for this game. The hardest difficulty is pretty decently hard and enemies are pretty smart. They will look for you if they find open doors or cabinets that were left closed. I would recommend disabling most of the hints, item shimmers and waypoints to make the game ore immersive and fun. The sneaking in the dark is alot like the first Splinter Cell, with a dark meter bubble. It shows if you are hidden or not, and the controller lights up brightly when u are in the light. All the things are present from the first as i can tell, water arrows, etc. Im only in chapter 2 but it seems this game will be very very long, which is what i really need in a game. I restarted the first chapter twice looking for all the loot and only got 66% of it. Total about 15 of 350 treasures i have collected. A somewhat slow paced, adult game that requires patience. Something other reviewers are not use to. Some people have dismissed this game already because of the voice actor is different from the rest of the games in the series, but i think the voice acting is pretty good. This game makes you feel like a true thief. Lock-picking and safe cracking are spot on. Ive been waiting for a game like this for a while. I usually beat games pretty fast but this will keep me busy for a while. Many different ways to complete the missions, but the game does seem a bit more linear than the rest. The only thing i don't like about this game is the frame rate drops below 20 sometimes on PS4 which im sure will be fixed in future updates. All in all a solid game which doesn't deserve some of the flak it has received. It is defiantly worth buying to have it before your friends :] hope this helps.
  14. Feb 28, 2014
    Thief has been around a long time. The first game came out in 1998 I believe and it is an iconic game in the industry and inspired lots of other stealth games. Each new game in the franchise has had heavy expectations placed on it. Most Thief games since then have had a mixed reception. There are those who expect each new game to be exactly like the original. And there are others who wantThief has been around a long time. The first game came out in 1998 I believe and it is an iconic game in the industry and inspired lots of other stealth games. Each new game in the franchise has had heavy expectations placed on it. Most Thief games since then have had a mixed reception. There are those who expect each new game to be exactly like the original. And there are others who want Thief to be more of an action game. Then there are those that have always understood what Thief is about and enjoy it for what it is: a damn good pure stealth series.

The new Thief is no exception. Nothing has given me the sense of skulking about in the shadows and having to use stealth in order to survive better than Thief has. This isn't an action/stealth hybrid like Dishonored or Splinter Cell that you can go in guns blazing and cut down half a dozen guards in a short amount of time. In Thief you have to remain undetected or face the consequences.

At first I was disappointed by the fact you can't use the rope arrow on any wood surface as before and can only attach to specially highlighted beams. But the game makes up for it in other ways. The new swoop ability is pure awesomeness. It gives a fluidity and speed to the game while still feeling stealthy and appropriate.

The graphics are quite good, with some of the best lighting and shadows I have ever seen in a game. The world itself is quite dreary and that may turn off some people, but it has character and a strange charm of its own.

The sound could be a little more atmospheric in my opinion, but it is generally still generally good. The voice acting is very good in the case of Garrett and fairly good in the case of most of the other characters. Garrett is such an intriguing character.

All in all I think Thief carries the stealth torch admirably, and probably better than any other modern "stealth" game. I've enjoyed it a lot and if you like stealth I am sure you will enjoy it too.
  15. Feb 27, 2014
    I honestly cannot believe the low scores that this game is getting. I've played through roughly 4 of the 8 chapters so far, and all I can say is that this game is lots of fun, giving you plenty of ways to play each chapter. Sure, one of the big complaints is that the combat mechanics are clunky, but noooooo **** This IS NOT BATMAN, or assassins creed, or any other type of combat game. EvenI honestly cannot believe the low scores that this game is getting. I've played through roughly 4 of the 8 chapters so far, and all I can say is that this game is lots of fun, giving you plenty of ways to play each chapter. Sure, one of the big complaints is that the combat mechanics are clunky, but noooooo **** This IS NOT BATMAN, or assassins creed, or any other type of combat game. Even so, the combat is decent enough, with upgrades that help you along the way. This game revolves around figuring out the BEST way to complete a chapter, based on your personal preference. Wanna knock everybody out? Go ahead. Wanna sneak by everybody unnoticed? Go ahead. Wanna combine the two? GO RIGHT AHEAD. These idiots giving this game a 1, or even worse, a zero? In all honesty, they are mentally incapable of writing a decent review. I'm going to rate it a perfect 10 just to help bring up some of these poor reviews. In all honesty, with 20 years of solid gaming experience, I'd rate it an eight and a half. These missions are well thought out by the design team, giving you suspense, action, and some reallly great stealth opportunities. **** the haters, honestly. People these days are so inclined to search for some crazy, shoot-em up gameplay that they can't truly appreciate a good game. Expand
  16. Mar 2, 2014
    Ahora que ya he jugado un buen número de horas me atrevo a decir que Thief es un fantástico juego de sigilo, que estoy disfrutando mucho.
    Las notas negativas de algunos análisis, como la publicada en Meristation, me estaban haciendo dudar si comprar el juego o no. Me alegro de haber ignorado las rewiews negativas y haberlo adquirido.
    Si te ha gustado Dishonored este Thief también te
    Si te ha gustado Dishonored este Thief también te gustará.
  17. Mar 1, 2014
    I've never played the first thief game, or dishonored and I am not a huge fan of stealth games but I am enjoying every second of this game.

I'm glad I made the purchase, it is really fun and addicting. :)

The only thing I dislike is the touch-pad to change weapons. It doesn't always go to the weapon I want and it can get really annoying. That is why I gave this an 8 instead of a 10. :)
  18. Feb 27, 2014
    Thief is in my opinion a reboot, of an amazing franchise, done the best way possible. It might not have the richest story of the Thief games, but the gameplay is in many ways flawless. The ai acts the way you would expect in a stealth game, but the variety of enemy design may for some lack a bit. The traps in the game are cleverly placed, stopping the playing from rushing through theThief is in my opinion a reboot, of an amazing franchise, done the best way possible. It might not have the richest story of the Thief games, but the gameplay is in many ways flawless. The ai acts the way you would expect in a stealth game, but the variety of enemy design may for some lack a bit. The traps in the game are cleverly placed, stopping the playing from rushing through the game, and forces you to stay aware. The shadows play, like in the other Thief games, a big role, and how you use them will determine your success, or at least how you succeed. The game features great HUD customization, that lets you tweak every detail. The graphics options are fairly extensive and features pretty much all the necessary features. the games has 3 preset difficulties, but for the hardcore player, it won't be much of a challenge. But Thief features customizable difficulty options. These options will make the game harder to play, and for every feature you remove, the game will award you with points, that can be compare to other players on a global leaderboard.
    Sadly the game does feature some minor bugs that, for the most part, will force you to restart the game.

All in all a great game, that deserves a 9/10
  19. Mar 1, 2014
    Great game, it may not be the best game ever, but still it's ton of fun to play. I think the only bad thing about this game is not having ability to jump when you wish but,when it says "you can jump on this box". The game crashed 1 time, so that's not so bad. Thief is like Dishonored (Yes i know thief games were before dishonored) but with more open world and more stealth.
  20. Feb 27, 2014
    This game is great, It is fun to play most of the time and the setting is just beautiful . Graphics are not mind blowing but they are great , The Story suites the setting and the contrast of the gameplay and story matches. The detail is well done in the environment , However to me I just couldn't be overwhelmed by the dialogue . But rest the game is great ! Recommend o any fan of stealthThis game is great, It is fun to play most of the time and the setting is just beautiful . Graphics are not mind blowing but they are great , The Story suites the setting and the contrast of the gameplay and story matches. The detail is well done in the environment , However to me I just couldn't be overwhelmed by the dialogue . But rest the game is great ! Recommend o any fan of stealth based games ! Expand
  21. Feb 26, 2014
    Great game. Some of the best stealth mechanics I have seen in quite a while. Combat is lacks but its not really a focus of the game. Graphics are great. If I have one gripe it is that there is no fence system. Garret seems to just take stuff and turn it into money.
  22. Feb 27, 2014
    I originally rated this game a 4, and compared it to Godfather III. I may have been to hasty. Indeed, the first couple of missions were clunky and did not showcase the game very well. And there are many problems with movement, such as the intermittent availability of the jump command, and periodic crashes, but still, I am now impressed by the vast detailed areas of the city that you canI originally rated this game a 4, and compared it to Godfather III. I may have been to hasty. Indeed, the first couple of missions were clunky and did not showcase the game very well. And there are many problems with movement, such as the intermittent availability of the jump command, and periodic crashes, but still, I am now impressed by the vast detailed areas of the city that you can roam around in. I find myself playing for several hours a day, and that should speak for itself. I guess the trick is to keep playing longer than 2 hours- eventually you will discover it's charms. I still wish they used the old voice actor for Garrett. However, If you are like me, you are going to buy this despite the large amount of bad reviews. I now think it was worth it. BTW- unlike others on this post I think it is valid to compare any game of a series to it's previous titles. If they didn't want you to compare it to the previous titles they should have named it something different. While it breaks somewhat with the spirit of the prior 3 games, it is still worthy enough to call itself Thief. Expand
  23. Feb 27, 2014
    This game is 10 worthy no question. The only problem i have had is getting around the map and finding side quests, but that will just take a bit of getting used to. I personally don't mind the voice acting at all, the story was good, gameplay fantastic. there were many great customization options, and overall, it was a great game
  24. Feb 28, 2014
    Every once in a while a game comes along that is hard to accurately review for everyone.
    Do I review the quality of the game towards casual gamers? Or towards people who understand and are fans of stealth?
    Because depending on who you're speaking to, the review score will be wildly different. Those who never understood stealth games and insisted on playing them as shooters or fighters,
    Those who never understood stealth games and insisted on playing them as shooters or fighters, when the true intent of the design is to AVOID combat, those overly aggressive types will find this terrible.
    Combat is only passable and you are not an assassin. More than one guy on you, you might as well accept death.
    Top it off with the old gen animations and speech (bad acting, overly repeated lines from random AI) and a rather dreary city, it starts off with a bad impression.
    While the buildings are fine enough in detail, the city lacks personality and feels like a series of generic rooms ultimately.

That's the bad stuff.

Now I'll let it be known I'm a big fan of stealth play in old Thief, Metal Gear and Splinter Cell. I'm the kind of guy that, despite them giving you more than enough weapons for a massacre in Splinter Cell, I like playing completely undetected and killing no one (if I'm good enough, usually I do have to knock out one or two).
    And as a stealth fan, playing my PS4 version, I love Thief. The level's furniture and guards may be generic, but the layout of the levels towards your goals is excellent if you play to be a true thief.
    And being a true thief is the key here. I've seen many professional reviews complaining about the focus feature and the highlighting where to go in any given room or even Garret himself telling you what to do.
    And it's true, all of those would be legitimate complaints except for one thing. It can ALL be turned off. The fact there's an individual option to turn on or off Garret's voice impressed me, someone thinking to add that. (I went with off, let me use my brain and not be told answers)

For me, I'm going to judge this game by the merits for a stealth fan with proper settings.
    By proper, I mean turning off everything except your mission marker.
    And with that clean screen, your goal is to pick the pockets and steal the valuables....and no fighting.
    Try going through the game without killing or knocking out anyone and being a true sneak. Then you will see the genius in the control and level layout.
    And instead of ridiculing Square for making a game with added enhancements and hand holding to make it easier on casual gamers, I commend them for it. They made a game with every individual item can be turned off or on, so you can tailor make it towards your skill level. Being all inclusive while adaptive should be the goal of all games.
    When played correctly and understanding and enjoying the slower, deliberate stalking nature of this style of game, this may have an older type feel to the build, but it's a top quality older type.
    It's fair to say it's rough around the edges on a technical level, but nothing that effects gameplay. My PS4 version has not stuttered, had no pop up and surprisingly, I saw no glitches.
    Even Ghosts, Battlefield, and AC4 on PS4 had their occasional glitch. Despite it's aged designed, within those confines it is polished.
    The levels offer tons of hidden treasures and replayability and some of the best levels (in the way of how creative or bold you need to be to remain undetected) I've seen in years. And I play so many games a year, I likely rival a pro game reviewer.
    But the difference between me and a pro reviewer? I'm playing for the love of it, not as a job.

This is one of those games I see getting overly harsh reviews from people who sound like they don't understand this type of game. So here I am, I only posted this to help speak to the true stealth fan trying to figure out if the game is worth it for them. And that answer is yes.
    It's not that those lower scores aren't legitimate. Simply not accurate to people like me who might skip out on a great game because of people who come at a game from a different perspective than stealth fans.
    In the end, I'm giving points towards my personal experience. And I think those points are accurate for those older gamers who've been around and played all the stealth types and are fans of that style. Old stealth fans can safely buy this, knowing they'll get their money's worth. It's a long game even without replaying.
    As for the kids new to these style of games? That's tough to say. I'm not sure how critical they'll be of the animations or if they'll have patience for this style. For them I'm going to knock down the points to about a 6 and say rent.
    And those who treat every game as if it were Call Of Duty and try to barrel through things, yeah, this is 1 or 2 point game for you. Just move on, this game wasn't meant for you.
  25. Mar 7, 2014
    Where can i start, the graphics for a console are amazing the fog, smoke, fire, rain, mud, and lighting effects are awe-inspiring and are expertly done. the controls are extremely intuitive and responsive. you have a range of abilities/perks and combat actions. a range of books/papers to find and read through, collectibles to umm...collect. plenty of side quests alongside the obvious mainWhere can i start, the graphics for a console are amazing the fog, smoke, fire, rain, mud, and lighting effects are awe-inspiring and are expertly done. the controls are extremely intuitive and responsive. you have a range of abilities/perks and combat actions. a range of books/papers to find and read through, collectibles to umm...collect. plenty of side quests alongside the obvious main campaign. The cutscenes are wonderfully crafted and really inspire you to go about in the game and look through every nook and cranny. The game is set in a sort ye olde mid 1800's desolate setting of london, with disease and rats, and a powerful, vile baron ruling over the "lower" people. The game is just so much fun and dynamic, but however is does feel now and then to be a little constrictive in it's level design, with a confusing map and frequent but quick loading times. I do find it quite annoying that you can't actually hide enemies in lockers that you yourself can hide in. arrows don't do a great deal, you have these blunt arrows and all they do it turn off switches which you find very few situations that you have to do that. i would want where the water arrow blinds/disorientates your enemies etc. The atmosphere is creates is astounding, and the world it wraps you is undeniable. I've had a fantastic time with game, a stunning piece of dynamic artwork. people nowadays hate change, but if certain forms of media like games and music stayed the same and went stagnant, people will still complain and say its just another rehash or a copy and paste job. I still think this game is amazing and for me personally well worth the lolly spent on it. Collapse
  26. Mar 2, 2014
    Personally, I loved this game. The stealth aspects of it, the mechanics, and I didn't see any of the so-called bugs. I had a fun, enjoyable time playing this game. It had a good story, a solid play style, and, in the end, I felt as though there was complete closure on the story with all questions answered. From the beginning mission to the final encounter, it was a non-stop, stealthPersonally, I loved this game. The stealth aspects of it, the mechanics, and I didn't see any of the so-called bugs. I had a fun, enjoyable time playing this game. It had a good story, a solid play style, and, in the end, I felt as though there was complete closure on the story with all questions answered. From the beginning mission to the final encounter, it was a non-stop, stealth packed, fun time on my part. Expand
  27. crs
    Feb 28, 2014
    First of all let me say "They didnt use the original voice actor the evil developer they must hate us" who really cares about this perhaps the original voice actor couldnt do it, didnt want to or is dead. It doesn't mean its a bad game because they used a different actor.

People say its linear, its not it shows the target but leaves it up to you how to accomplish it. Its not open

Its not open world, it doesn't really matter the world is big enough to explore.

It has a few bugs but what game doesn't and they can always be fixed with a patch.

Buy it and enjoy it for what it is, a lot of fun and don't compare it to dishonoured which for all its plus points was criminally short.
  28. Mar 1, 2014
    If you are an Assassins Creed fan YOU WILL LOVE THIS GAME !!! I love it !!! the history, the sounds, grapfhics are very good !!! Eidos Montreal..... tomb raider, thief.... I love your games........
  29. Feb 26, 2014
    Really?? A 0, 1 for a score? I have started the game and it is really fun. I guess this is because I did not play the other games, but the game plays well, controls well. The only framerate issues that I could see were during some of the cutscenes and load times after being discovered could be improved but overall the developers did a great job with this game. Ignore the negative reviewsReally?? A 0, 1 for a score? I have started the game and it is really fun. I guess this is because I did not play the other games, but the game plays well, controls well. The only framerate issues that I could see were during some of the cutscenes and load times after being discovered could be improved but overall the developers did a great job with this game. Ignore the negative reviews and get this game! You won't be disappointed! Expand
  30. Feb 28, 2014
    Welcome to metacritic, where morons either score a 10 or a zero.
    Look Thief is a good game, yes it does have its flaws but I'm glad it stands on its own two legs because truthfully I've got bored of Assassins Creed games since they went yearly.
    Welcome to metacritic, where morons either score a 10 or a zero.

There is a lot to explore, and many ways to do the missions, replay the whole game as a master thief and try to never get seen if you can handle it.

The majority of reviews here haven't touched the game, bad reviews were surrounding this game over the past two weeks and trolls always follow.
    The same thing will happen with Titanfall in a few weeks.

Good game, worth playing, I paid £33 for it and got it a day early, very happy with my purchase.

Ignore the hate. 8.
  31. Jun 5, 2014
    After ten years since the last installment, the Thief series finally gets another entry in it's lineup. Although an enjoyable experience, Thief isn't exactly memorable.

Being that this is a Thief game, the main form of gameplay is a combination of sneaking and stealing. Stealth mainly consists of sneaking around your enemies by staying in the shadows, and stealing any valuable loot along the way. This was done incredibly well by adding the swoop ability and allowing you to put out light sources. Nothing was more satisfying than cracking a safe while your enemy was only five feet away. Aside from that, there were plenty of ways to get loot, including pick-pocketing, cutting out pictures, unscrewing plaques, or just looting drawers and wardrobes. Ultimately, the game's stealth and thieving mechanics do a satisfying job of making you feel like just that, a Thief, in every way.

Although stealth is fun, it does have a habit of getting repetitive, which is something Thief does not suffer from. The game constantly throws change ups in gameplay, which keeps stealth fresh. An exciting chase sequence, a great boss fight, puzzle solving, and even one chapter with some interesting horror elements stopped this game from getting boring.

Another great thing this game encourages in curiosity and exploration. During missions, the way to complete or reach an objective is never straight forward. There are usually several ways to infiltrate an area and grab an item. Outside of missions, the city has so many different nooks and crannies to explore, often leading to hidden areas and items.

If you're not doing the story, you're likely doing the many side missions. Some are simple, requiring you to infiltrate a building and grab an item on the map, while others are more in depth, requiring you go to a separate area altogether. The variation keeps the side content fun, and the random loot placed randomly across the city stops you from getting bored.

The combat is easy to grasp, and competent when fighting one on one, but it's useless against multiple enemies. Even though some may find that restrictive, I see it as encouragement to take a stealthy approach, which is what you're supposed to do.

Unfortunately, not everything in this game is perfect. Case and point, the story. Although it does a good job of keeping you interested, the ending is so sudden and leaves the biggest plot point unresolved, making the ending feel empty. Luckily, the story has a nice mystery, and an interesting cast of characters. Although he has no background, Garret is an interesting, which can also be said about the supporting cast and the main villian.

There are also a few missed opportunities. Wardrobes are good for hiding, but they would've been better for storing bodies, or useful for surprise attacks Assassin's Creed style. Focus mode is useful for identifying important items, but it's non regenerating meter encourages you to conserve it rather than use it freely. Because of this, most of the upgrades for it felt pointless. Thieving challenges are basically side objectives that give you extra money, but you can't view them during a mission's first playthrough, forcing you to do it a second time to get all of them.

Some things are just plain bad. Caged animals which alert you to your enemies are annoying. The dogs aren't that bad and feel realistic, but birds have a bad habit of blending into the background, which means I alerted more than a few because I didn't know they were there. The city itself feels unnecessarily restrictive and hard to navigate around. Having to sneak around a certain guard post over and over got annoying quick. What's worse is that because of the story, the city watch does get replaced with the rebels, but they patrol the exact same way. There is no change in patrol, making it a simple palate swap. It also doesn't make sense that the replacements see you as an enemy, which doesn't make sense with the story, and the explanation for it is cheap.

Graphics are nice, and fairly detailed, but they look more like they're topping the last generation of consoles instead of showing what the new consoles can do, especially when compared to games like Killzone and Ground Zeroes. Plus, during the higher resolution custcenes, the game suffered from frame rate drops.

Lastly, this game's replay value is poor. There is no new game plus, even though this game screams for it. Upgrading your focus and buying items falls flat when you're unable to carry them over. You can replay missions, and I'm sure perfectionists will try to find all the loot and complete side objectives, but it feels like cheap way to add replay value. It would've been nice if unique loot carried over as well, but it doesn't.

Overall, Thief is an enjoyable experience, but it has some problems, which can be overlooked easily, but the game isn't good enough to give the series the revival it deserves. In the end, Thief is fun, but forgettable.
  32. Mar 4, 2014
    This game is perfect if you enjoyed the old Thief games. Roam the city as you please between missions and to get to mission objectives. Everything seems, not seamless, but seam-minimalistic. The combat is fun and visceral when you get the hang of it, and there's lots of room for exploration and side-quests. The art style and design of Garret is quite different from the old games, and IThis game is perfect if you enjoyed the old Thief games. Roam the city as you please between missions and to get to mission objectives. Everything seems, not seamless, but seam-minimalistic. The combat is fun and visceral when you get the hang of it, and there's lots of room for exploration and side-quests. The art style and design of Garret is quite different from the old games, and I like the old style better, but the mechanics, story and gameplay really make this game nostalgic to Original Thief fans. Expand
  33. Mar 4, 2014
    let me start by saying the people on this site reviewing thief and giving it a bad score/review because its not the same as earlier thief games from 10 years ago are totally missing the point. you should be reviewing this game and this game only!
    its like saying the new tomb raider is a terrible game because its not like the old ones, its idiotic.
    while this game is far from perfect it
    while this game is far from perfect it has enough great elements to counter its flaws. its pretty simple actually.
    if you like stealth, exploration and loot then this is the game for you and you will be smiling as the game continues to open up and expand beyond your comprehension. on the other hand if you want a hand holding, shoot and kill everything corridor shooter, move on as there is nothing for you here!
    while at times certain controls and the city map can be the weaker points of the game i found myself playing without problems once i'd played for a few hours with the controls and through my playthrough, i only had very minimal use of the map as part of the fun was exploring and getting a feel for the city's layout.
    the best way to play this game (in my opinion) is to take your time, explore, enjoy your surroundings and mix up the play between chapters and side missions. i found that when given the choice, activating all side missions from certain characters at once and tracking the nearest mission, completing it and moving on to the next to be the most enjoyable and efficient way to proceed.
    the actual chapters (main story progression) are fantastically large and the diverse environments on offer are an intelligent change up from the main map. the asylum, brothel and bank being among my favorites.
    you want to explore everywhere and the game has a happy knack of making you feel like a king when you discover a hidden area or switch or you finally work out how to get to that door or open window.
    the melee combat does feel a little messy and is best avoided (especially if your outnumbered). That said the game does a great job of putting multiple weapons and tools in the players hands to tackle combat if you dont want to totally play stealth. the weapons feel great and the kills and knockouts can feel extremely satisfying and sneaky.
    as i said , if your willing to take your time, explore, experiment and use your brain then this is the first hidden gem of 2014. there is so much content that is so consistently rewarding that the games rough edges and few shortcomings are soon forgotten and the smile thats been on my face for the best part of 30-40 hours tells the story!!
  34. Mar 10, 2014
    now i going to be straight and simple

pros:optimized graphics!,ending,music,sounds,gameplay,garett cons:graphics engine old,story is weak all about ERIN,where is the story related thieving?,monsters? really? it was irritating pile of ****. old-gen version have too much downgrade! there is much unreal engine 3 games out there have better grapchics on xbox360 and ps3 than thief
    now i going to be straight and simple

pros:optimized graphics!,ending,music,sounds,gameplay,garett

old-gen version have too much downgrade! there is much unreal engine 3 games out there have better grapchics on xbox360 and ps3 than thief (old-gen version)
  35. Mar 4, 2014
    It's a good game. Stealth is great. Game play great. Bad the freaks they are bad. Bad ai and are just annoying. Main story 8-10 hours which is good rest around 20-25. Really it's a 7.5 it's great.
  36. Mar 7, 2014
    People who slam this game for having bad AI, weird movement, ridonculous story and monotonous graphics are praising the old "Thief" games and claiming a pillaging of the series? That's rich. You guys have obviously played some different kind of "Thief"-series than I have and I played the bajeezus out of them.

Have you forgotten? Standing in front of crates making weird squatlike

Have you forgotten? Standing in front of crates making weird squatlike movements and cursing, while you try to jump on top of it? Have you forgotten trying to navigate a narrow pathway over a gap and how you thanked the Lord for the quicksave function? Guards who would ignore open doors and stare at walls for days? The repetitive textures? The twitchy combat? And the story? Have you forgotten all the unexpected "twists"? Oh no, the good guy was the bad guy all along, how could I have trusted him? C'mon now. Those games were flawed, in some ways even flatout bad. And they were fun as hell.

Because there will never be a perfect game. It's not about that. It's about the fun you have while playing them. So, is the new "Thief" even remotly close to perfect? Hell, noes. Is it fun? Well, that depends. In the opinion of this veteran master thief-ninja: yes, it is, though you have to allow yourself to enjoy it.

For once, I personally like the atmosphere it creates. There is a plague on the streets, so the streets are empty and so are the homes. People are dying left, right and center to a "mysterious" sickness and nobody really gives a poop. Dead bodies on meathooks in an old fabric? Hell yeah, count me in! Blade Runner-esque feeling of claustrophobia induced by the city, but in spa..some fake Middle Ages? Pour it on, baby! Old evil mixed with personal traumas for some rather cheap storytelling? Daddy looooves him some daily soap sometimes!

Which brings us to "new Garret". He is a cool dude, I guess. Very reserved, very introvert. Some call him bland. I call it "logical behavior, if you are a guy who shouldn't and doesn't trust anyone", but you know, whatever. Not the brightest lad, but good at what he does. And what does he do?

Stealing. Lots and lots of it. There is a lot of loot. Why don't people keep their stuff together? Would be much easier this way, but then I wouldn't get this nice feeling that I get, when I find an impossible-to-find secret room with just the piece of loot that is missing from my collection. It's warm and fuzzy btw.

The process of pickpocketing is nicely executed, the lockpicking is done well enough so that it doesn't become aggravating (lots of lockpicking in this one, I tells ya) and creates some tense moments. Guards are smart enough to relight fires and notice open doors, which is a clear progress since times long gone. And guys, remember, it's Garrett. The whole point of the character is that he is able to sit in the shadows right under someones nose without being noticed. It's his "gift". So a little less whining and a little more suspension of disbelief and all is fine. Also, it kinda worked the same way in the old series.

Movement is nice and smooth and feels "modern" for better or worse. There were two issues though, that I have to point out. First, Garretts sudden fear of heights sometimes robs him of his ability to jump down ledges. Kinda annoying. And second, the whole "peek in a comical fashion around the corner" thingy still doesn't feel necessary. And third, walking slowly while ducked is weird. Really weird. And forth...ah, who am I kidding there are several issues with the movement, but overall it left a positive impression on me.

Music behaves inappropriately sometimes, but there is an option to turn that sucker off and (if you are a leet hackz0r like me) to listen to your own in the background. For me it's Bob Marley since the dark ages. Get it? Dark Ages! Yeah, moving on.

Ambient sound overall is mediocre, but far from the train wreck that some reviews suggest.

Combat seems to be lacking, but I wouldn't know, since I never play combat.

Replay value is pretty big. Crank up the difficulty, turn all helpers off, put your favorite anti-frustration medicine right beside you and start having fun.

In conclusion: "Thief" proudly hold the flag of the series and stays true to it's traditions - mainly, of being the only one in it's genre, but also of being very good games with some very big flaws. Overall a solid 7.5/10, but I feel urged to rate it 9 here, just because some "zero"-reviews were clearly written by mindcontrolled apes.
  37. Mar 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is an beautiful game. I find a few niggling things about it, Things such as this are: Garret throws bodies about half a meter, And they go through some props, e.g. The Furnace when looking for the ring Basso hires you to take, Also, How if you walk between light and shadows, Nobody ever sees you, Guards attack you when you are simply walking about, Listening for conversations on good stealing opportunities, But this does not hold Thief back, Oh no, This game is truly amazing despite these little things, This game shows true potential, And is very much a diamond in the rough. (I'm talking to you Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall.) But this is very much the beginning of Garrett, As I really do enjoy choosing whether, I wish to stealth my way inside and take everything, Or knock everyone out and take everything, But Garrett should slowly adapt to play styles, If you stealth around the place, Then Garrett would look for a shadowy route, But instead I go all guns blazing, Usually taking my chances with my broadhead arrows and my upgraded Speed and Combat abilities, Rushing in and leaving fast, Taking the loots with me, But instead Garrett talks to himself "Maybe I can use that pipe go get inside the office..." Yet I have just murdered everyone inside the room and found the weird tech key to the door. This game to me, Is very a nerfed Dishonoured reskin; Of course, Now onto the good sides of things, The combat system really, Is great, The fact that I don't have to perform a takedown and can use my upgraded speed to kill this guy who is winded, And the fact these upgrades actually do something, As I have not needed to go ahead and buy arrows, My upgraded Eye ability shows me where the good loot has been placed, Collectibles, So I can simply go around and take the loot I need to get tons of cash, So I can then get more AT Points. The stealth system is... Alright, To say the least. It makes sense how being in shadows, And wearing complete black is going to make you hard to see. But when you have an enemy directly in front of you and he does not see you, You can tell you've encountered something wrong with this mans sight. Now don't get me wrong, This game is no gem, But Jesus Christ is this game great, People complain about this game, Comparing it to Thief: The dark projects, But that was an TRULY amazing game, But this is NOT THE SAME PRODUCERS. This is Square Enix and Eidos Montreal, Two fairly good game creators that have made some **** in their time. So lets just establish this is NOT Looking Glass entertainment, The creators of the original Thief, To the BAD reviews, You are an Master Thief, An Mogul of Silence, Why would you NOT make much sound when moving slowly, Light on your feet? Someone says the sound system was taken out and made **** Let me say this again, So it will hopefully make its way through the other user reviewers in this section. THIS. IS. NOT. THE. SAME. PRODUCERS. Now that has been established, Someone says "They got rid of the original voice actor which should have been a sign they did not know what they were doing. ~BellinoP", The voice actor Stephen Russell (Original) is 77. So how about we have an old man as an stealthy, Building climby Master Thief? Yes, Instead of the Blackjack weapon, We have a cane. He was not available, Get over it fanboys, This reboot could have been worse.
    Thank you for going through my ULTRA long review.
    Gentleman.
  38. Apr 17, 2016
    Imagine yourself playing this at 4 AM in the morning, running around stealing scissors and hitting guards in the head. When you think to yourself 'Why not continue on with the story?' And you do, untill you reach Chapter 5 and get nightmares for weeks.
  39. Mar 1, 2014
    I have to say there seems to be a lot of unfair comments about this game. I have being playing it all day and so far I have really enjoyed it. I was a massive fan of thief way back on P.C. But this version so far is O.K.

Non of this is game changing but Im glad I bought it and it does remind me of the older games. The only thing I have noticed its more claustrophobic and you have less space to try and skulk in the shadows.
  40. Feb 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is really good,on moments and bad. The good things are the graphics,animations,levels,the effects,the many things that can loot,and the combination of every single Thief game into this one. The bad things are the story(it is not so interesting),there are some bugs(1 major in the sound,some bugs in the A.I.). Overall it is really good. I like and the soundtrack - it is awesome(on some moments the tracks can be used for the next Amnesia game,more of those tracks can be heard on the Chapter 5: The Forsaken, where you need to search for documents in haunted asylum,which looks like the one from Outlast). Still,this game is really good,and after some patching it will be even better. I recommend it to most of the Stealth fans. Still,if you are hardcore Thief fan, you will not think so positive about this game. Expand
  41. Mar 2, 2014
    I have spent countless days playing the original thief games and am an old school diehard fan of the franchise. To say I was excited about this game is an understatement...until the reviews started hitting the web the day before my pre order was ready to pick up. It looked like the negatives outweighed the positives. But regardless, release day came and I trucked my happy butt to GameStopI have spent countless days playing the original thief games and am an old school diehard fan of the franchise. To say I was excited about this game is an understatement...until the reviews started hitting the web the day before my pre order was ready to pick up. It looked like the negatives outweighed the positives. But regardless, release day came and I trucked my happy butt to GameStop and picked up my copy with mixed feelings. I got home, dimmed the lights and immersed myself with an open mind. Now, 12 hours in I can safely say this game is intoxicating. The mood, the sounds, the gameplay take me back to the dark project days, with some really cool new features. I'm not saying it's perfect, but good god is it ever fun sneaking around the streets of "The City". This game actually far exceeded my expectations. FUN, MOODY and just flat out AWESOME. If you liked the original games, or a newbie to the series but a fan of stealth games, you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of Thief. Now, I'm heading back to the shadows... Expand
  42. Feb 27, 2014
    Just amazing, if you are a true fan of stealth games this game is a must. The story is weak, some bugs but overall its an fantastic game. Going around stealing stuff is so addictive, cant stop playing!!
  43. Feb 28, 2014
    I don't play old thief, but new thief make me happy, i like stealth and this game not bad! I was play 11 our and i want play again and again! This game have good engine, good graphic and interesting story!
  44. Mar 9, 2014
    The only explanation I could come up for those negative reviews is the fact that people compare it to the other games in the series. The Thief series was a ground-breaking set of games that defined the stealth games in general. I can only imagine that if you expect it to be a defining and ground-breaking again (just like it was before) you are going to be disappointed.

If you look at it

If you look at it as a new game, and don't compare it to the old ones, I think the opinion would change. I find it to be a damn good game. The story is ok, not good, but ok. The graphics are good, they really make you feel like you're a part of that world. And the gameplay is incredibly intriguing. You can finish missions in multiple ways and actually have fun with all the features they put at your disposal.

Overall, not the best game, but definitely not a bad one if you ask me.
  45. Mar 6, 2014
    I am great fan of the original series and this game is also awesome. I don't know what is the reason of all this hate. I love to just sneak around the city and search for loot. Of course it has some bugs, but for me it is not a big deal. I would advise everyone not to listen to butthurted masses and give this game a shot :) btw i am playing on pc and on master level :)
  46. Mar 13, 2014
    Let me get one thing straight before I start the review. I HAVE NOT PLAYED THE ORIGINAL THEIF GAMES. So, if you have and want to know from a previous thief player, then read mine and someone else's review. Thief is set in a city called The City, where you play as the master thief, Garret, and plague called the gloom is catching up on the city. I won't shed too much light on the story, butLet me get one thing straight before I start the review. I HAVE NOT PLAYED THE ORIGINAL THEIF GAMES. So, if you have and want to know from a previous thief player, then read mine and someone else's review. Thief is set in a city called The City, where you play as the master thief, Garret, and plague called the gloom is catching up on the city. I won't shed too much light on the story, but it goes more in-depth than that. I think the games stealth element works very well, and it feels amazing when playing in the dark, but sometimes you get frustrated because some ledges you can automatically drop, others you press buttons and some you can't, so I could be walking down about to jump off then I'm not allowed. Traveling from point A to B has multiple routes, which is great.
    Overall, the game has it's flaws, but it is a great game, especially on the ps4!
  47. Oct 13, 2014
    Thief the re-boot. A game that suprised me. Don't know where all the hate and score below 6 come from. The other thing I don't understand is why people are comparing the game to Dishonred? Two different games in what they do. Dishonored is mostly about killing with the aspect of stealth. Thief is all about stealth and you know stealing. You're not a powerfull assasin with weapons but aThief the re-boot. A game that suprised me. Don't know where all the hate and score below 6 come from. The other thing I don't understand is why people are comparing the game to Dishonred? Two different games in what they do. Dishonored is mostly about killing with the aspect of stealth. Thief is all about stealth and you know stealing. You're not a powerfull assasin with weapons but a master thief and good bowman.
    The story is a re-boot of the series from the 90's. It lacks a bit of the complex of the first game but the stealth and stealing aspect is great. Story is good with some interesting twists. You have everything wht you want from Thief. Opening up chests and safes, stealing from people, avoiding guards in the shadow and sometimes striking from above or behind to take out an ususpecting guard. Unique lot to collect and inspect in your hideout. Interesting upgrade system.
    The best thing still is the custom difficulty level you can creat with points and ranking. You want no combat only stealth takedowns or maybe instant failure when you are spoted? Here you go this makes the game amazing and one more thing the save option. Save in any part of the world and missions.
    Lot of replay value, great graphics and all and all good game. Doesn't reinvent the genre but does a lot of things right.
    8 out of 10 for me. Got it for 15£ with The Heist DLC. Worth the money!
  48. Mar 7, 2014
    I'm actually really enjoying thief,I haven't finished the game yet but so far I think its brilliant, the audio is pretty much the only thing that I am having issues with. The music is often too loud meaning that you cant hear dialogue, even with it turned down in the settings. Also the NPC's spouting the same drivel every 10 seconds is annoying, almost as if its just looped.
  49. Mar 11, 2014
    Интересная, и затягивающая играю, играю сейчас и наслаждаюсь. Играть по стелсу интересно, а когда что не выходит, можно и разобраться с несколькими охранниками
  50. Mar 6, 2014
    Really fun game, I think a lot of people set their expectations far too high. While their are some issues, not being able to jump I find annoying, its still a very fun game and looks great on a decent PC. Dishonored fans will enjoy. I played the original and while there's been some changes it feels very much a Thief game to me. People need to take off their rose coloured glasses whenReally fun game, I think a lot of people set their expectations far too high. While their are some issues, not being able to jump I find annoying, its still a very fun game and looks great on a decent PC. Dishonored fans will enjoy. I played the original and while there's been some changes it feels very much a Thief game to me. People need to take off their rose coloured glasses when remembering the original. Expand
  51. Mar 5, 2014
    A worth while stealth game that might not be a "true" thief game, but it still is one of the best stealth games that came out lately. Definitely worth a try, also if you do all the side quests the gameplay is around 22-25 hours, which is definitely positive.
  52. Mar 10, 2014
    Thief is a game that will find its audience. The game play is slower but it requires you to think and plan how you will approach the mission and goals set in front of you. Exploring the city and finding hidden treasures is great with the large amount of side contracts to take while you work your way through the main story.
  53. Mar 15, 2014
    I don't understand these bad reviews, I had really fun playing the game and it was one of the best game on the next generation until now. Yes it has some technical issues and the loading screens are a pain, but when you are in a mission it is really great and I enjoyed it a lot!
  54. Mar 15, 2014
    the corperate reviews are far off with this game sure theres bugs like every other game but its a great old school game where your hand isn't held from beggining to end like in every other game sure the storys weak but its fun for me as an old school gamer it has tons of value my first playthrough it took me over 20 hrs & even more if you get all the collectables & secret areas in the game
  55. Apr 5, 2015
    I don't know why this game has gotten such a rotten average - I had great fun playing it and I felt like it lived up to my expectations from the last Thief game (which set them pretty high), even surpassed them!

I found the story compelling, and the levels were well-balanced in difficulty, varied and memorable. (Perhaps especially the asylum level which rivals The Cradle level from Thief 3 for scariest game level ever.)

There was also a lot to explore (and steal) in-between missions which really extended the playing time for me. I was constantly blown away by how much stuff there was to discover by climbing and sneaking around on rooftops and in alleyways.

Overall it was really difficult to put down, I kept thinking "just one more mission", which to me makes a really great game.
  56. Oct 22, 2014
    First I will tell for who exactly this game is for, and then if you're not that person do not play the game or rate it and write a review. This is a very particular kind of stealth game with the same mechanics as the games 10 years old. Meaning that waiting, and looking for walking patterns are important. It is the same kind of as SCPT, SCCT, First hitmans, and of course thief 3 ( IFirst I will tell for who exactly this game is for, and then if you're not that person do not play the game or rate it and write a review. This is a very particular kind of stealth game with the same mechanics as the games 10 years old. Meaning that waiting, and looking for walking patterns are important. It is the same kind of as SCPT, SCCT, First hitmans, and of course thief 3 ( I haven't played first and second, due to the age of it, because I am not of those hardcore gamers who can somehow get into game which looks ridiculously old and technically flawed). Therefore if you enjoyed those games, and had fun finishing levels without enemy being aware that you ever been there, you will definitely like thief, if however you haven't enjoyed those games, I recommend you don't bother with the game as it is not intended to play any other way that stealthily. Patience is rewarded here, cumbersomeness of melee combat purposely pushes you to avoid it.

The levels have usually though not always few points of entry. Overall level design is created for stealth play. There is a lot of detail to get you distracted while you're waiting for a guard to move.

Few mechanics could have been improved such such picking up objects, because it does take a lot of time, for example if you open up a chest your character will stand up opening it, then he will crouch again ( in that time you can not control it), and then you will need tu stand up again to pick up the items inside, which will again make him move, which takes unnecessary time.

Guards AI haven't improved since 2000s. Some of them have only one line which they will repeat over and over again, which is extremely annoying. Besides that sound seems good, I liked the ambient sounds in the city and during the missions, it does really manages to capture the atmosphere.

Story is just like in most games these days. It is just too much acting to many cinematics, etc. It's a game not a movie, even though the story was well acted in many games, it should not be the main purpose of the game in my opinion. You play the game for the sake that you discover everything. The story that you can overhear in the game from dialogues or monologues of people is what is great about thief, plus the text documents. That type of story telling lets you uncover the story, its down to you if you read it or not what happens in the city.

Now talking about the city itself once again in my opinion it is great, and I will tell you why. First thing first it is stealth game there fore you are not supposed to run and gun, no one supposed to see you, that is exactly why the architecture in city is designed for you to stay out of sight, and I have never seen such an interesting design of the world. Sure it is quite difficult at the beginning as it is quite big, but then you get familiar with it, because every place is unique. I wont be forgetting the flaws nevertheless. The loading times are ridiculous, this just like AI haven't improved since 2000s, I mean things like these are really unacceptable especially in 2013 where open world games with absolutely huge worlds have no loading time at all.

And for the last I wont be criticising the Thief fans who have lived their lives playing thief games and do not like this game at all, but I will just say to them that if they think they are obliged to get something, they can forget it. If you want to play game like thief 1 then play that game and don't complain about it. Games like SC or hitman are evolving with the generation (and that is why I stopped playing them because it does not deliver the same as first games), and its up to you to grow up or stay at the same level.

In conclusion this game is for hardcore stealth fans, as it was specifically was made for them (the custom difficulty (and retarded focus abilities, which I haven't even used) was added for more action oriented player and NOT the other way around!!!). Great executed game with a lot of technical flaws.

It gets 8
  57. Mar 29, 2014

Sasha
  58. Apr 13, 2014
    This game is really underrated it seems. At first it is a bit hard to get into which might be why. It's not immediately obvious the best way to play it, moving around the city is kind of a pain, and it can feel a bit clunky.

But once you get the hang of how its meant to be played it is awesome. The graphics are outstanding, audio is good, cut scenes are good, and the game play is awesome. Not perfect, but definitely worth playing if you are into stealth type games like splinter cell or deus ex. The only complaint I'd really have about it is having to move around the city between missions is annoying and repetitive.
  59. Jun 12, 2014
    Giving a 10 to counter the idiotic 0's some people are giving. 0's are meant for utterly broken and unplayable games. That said, I enjoyed playing Thief but felt it average. give it 6/10 realistically.
  60. Aug 13, 2014
    Thief games have, as a habit, always been rough around the edges going all the way back to The Dark Project. Tasked with reviving a series that has been dormant for ten years, Eidos Montreal had a valiant first effort that largely succeeds. It's gorgeous, engaging, and fair. Not once did I ever feel like my failures were anyone but my fault, which is what one looks for in any game.Thief games have, as a habit, always been rough around the edges going all the way back to The Dark Project. Tasked with reviving a series that has been dormant for ten years, Eidos Montreal had a valiant first effort that largely succeeds. It's gorgeous, engaging, and fair. Not once did I ever feel like my failures were anyone but my fault, which is what one looks for in any game. Some of the refinements and changes for the series were for the better, including an approach of less ambiguity in HUD information and general grinding through missions for arbitrary loot totals. It's mired a bit by a muddled narrative and some repetitious elements like loading screens, but on the whole it was a great game and a good foundation for future entries.

And Romano Orzari was great as Garrett.
  61. Mar 23, 2015
    This game was so much fun that I have since bought a PS3 and a PS4 for myself. (I was playing on my SO's machine.) This game basically got me back into playing video games - I haven't owned a console since the PS2 and gamecube were new.

(I do wish I could have skipped the asylum level because it scared me ... but YMMV.)

I hope to see a sequel out soon.
  62. Apr 28, 2015
    If you're looking for a good, modern game about thieving, Thief is the game for you. If you're looking for a carbon copy of the original Thief games, play the original Thief games.
  63. Oct 24, 2015
    I'm a long time Thief fan and this game isn't what I hoped, but I still enjoyed it for what it is. The exploration is spot on in the city hub and side missions with plenty of loot and secret areas to find and quite frankly that's where the game shines for me, because you feel like a true thief outside of the main missions. The main missions while mostly decent, are not the high light,I'm a long time Thief fan and this game isn't what I hoped, but I still enjoyed it for what it is. The exploration is spot on in the city hub and side missions with plenty of loot and secret areas to find and quite frankly that's where the game shines for me, because you feel like a true thief outside of the main missions. The main missions while mostly decent, are not the high light, which is a strange thing to say. The art style and atmosphere is also top notch here. I recommend this game for stealth fans and fans of games with immersive worlds. Expand
  64. Nov 24, 2015
    I really love this game, the way you can sneak around and steal things from people, opening peoples windows sneaking in and stealing things and hoping that you wont be seen is a really amazing thing and I love it. You get the feeling of being a real master thief and I enjoyed every single bit of it.
    Love the atmosphere in this game and the graphics are beautifull.
    I didnt really like the
    Love the atmosphere in this game and the graphics are beautifull.
    I didnt really like the horror parts in this game, but that's because I am bit of a chicken when it comes to this. I love horror games but I dont dare to play them, and if I buy a game where it turns out that there is a bit horror to it I always catch myself saying "why me?", but well sometimes you have to challenge yourself :) I bet it's not the scariest you can play, but some parts of this game creeped my out, but again I am not a hardcore horror gamer so I guess some horror gamers would laugh at me if I told them this :)

But after all it's a good solid game, I havent played the previous Thief games, but I like it enough to give at least an 8 score :)
  65. Mar 11, 2014
    After a couple hours I got disgusted with this game for its terrible linearity and non-interactivity and gave it a bad review. A few hours after that, I deleted my review and wrote this, as the game markedly improves after a slow and disappointing start. True, it is not as interactive as most would like. There are doors that won't open and barrels you cannot search, places you can't climbAfter a couple hours I got disgusted with this game for its terrible linearity and non-interactivity and gave it a bad review. A few hours after that, I deleted my review and wrote this, as the game markedly improves after a slow and disappointing start. True, it is not as interactive as most would like. There are doors that won't open and barrels you cannot search, places you can't climb where if if this were more like Assassin's Creed or Skyrim, you would be able to. However, the enjoyment of sneaking around the city, into homes, up among the rafters, and so on, really picks up. The limitations put on you either ease up or become less noticeable because of the challenges presented, so even if it isn't GTA5 in terms of interactivity, it is nonetheless a lot of fun and it is extraordinarily beautiful to look at. Expand
  66. Mar 20, 2014
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game. The stealth aspects are perfect and the graphics are quite nice. The city is also open for exploration as you complete side quests or head towards the next main mission, but sections are separated by short loading times. If you want to go around smacking people with a sword and just causing havoc, you will not have a good time as this is a proper stealthThoroughly enjoyed this game. The stealth aspects are perfect and the graphics are quite nice. The city is also open for exploration as you complete side quests or head towards the next main mission, but sections are separated by short loading times. If you want to go around smacking people with a sword and just causing havoc, you will not have a good time as this is a proper stealth title. There are offensive arrows and a pretty lame melee/fight mechanic, but you are better off sneaking for the best experience. The story is also pretty interesting all the way through (until the bad ending). A few hiccups here and there such as frame rate drops during cut scenes (strange I know) and a glitch or two. Overall though, its really fun sneaking around and stealing stuff. Not the disaster some are claiming it to be, but nothing too spectacular either. Expand
  67. Mar 7, 2014

1. Mar 26, 2014
    The biggest problem for this game is every stealth game that has come since Thief: the Dark Project. Thief can’t match the visual flair and supernatural powers of Dishonored. It doesn’t have the lean efficiency and murderous creativity of the Hitman series; it trails the razor’s edge stealth and gadget lust of Splinter Cell; it lacks the vision and bombast of the Metal Gear series. Hell, it doesn’t even have a very good thief.
  2. Mar 21, 2014
    The return of the master thief Garrett is a mixed bag. Thief builds on its series proud heritage of tactile stealth, focusing on realism but loses some of the way to modern design trends. Thief has some unnecessary padding that smooth out the gameplay as well as some cinematic ambitions that do not reach all the way. Above all, it is plagued by qualitative valleys that appear to be a result of a stressed launch. Nevertheless, Thief gets a weak recommendation because the basic formula is still fun and somewhat unique.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 18, 2014
    A nail-biting experience needing a few more coats of polish to stand out. [April 2014, p76]