8.3

1. May 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. nice story,nice game but that you gonna play it one time and nothing more. I do not have to say anything more. But i need to write one hundred and fifty characters. i think my score can describe it. Expand
  2. Mar 23, 2015
    Valiant Hearts is a 2-D side scroller that incorporates gameplay in the fashion of puzzle solving to progress through a very well told story set in World War I. The story is told in comic book style with no animations for their cutscenes. The narration is very well done, and the music selection with contemporary pieces is beautiful. It took me about four hours to play, however, that tookValiant Hearts is a 2-D side scroller that incorporates gameplay in the fashion of puzzle solving to progress through a very well told story set in World War I. The story is told in comic book style with no animations for their cutscenes. The narration is very well done, and the music selection with contemporary pieces is beautiful. It took me about four hours to play, however, that took about a week's worth to get through as I found myself only playing in 15 to 30 minutes spurts. Perhaps because the mind can only go for so long solving puzzles before it needs to move on to something else. The developers did try to interrupt these puzzles with different type of game mechanics, such as those found in classic arcades like "Space Invaders" and "Dig Dug", as well as newer game mechanics like "Angry Birds" and "Guitar Hero". However, I think these mechanics didn't work very well in this game as they did in those games that I mentioned above. If you don't like history or education, you may not appreciate all the items you find to unlock the history of World War I and the reading that goes along with them; which I actually loved. It gave me a good sense of understanding World War I's history much better and the people who lived and fought during that time. It made me care about these characters in the story. Excellent overall story presentation and puzzle solving, however this game may not be to some likings as it game length and reading requirment. Expand
  3. Mar 26, 2015
    If this was trying to be the saving private ryan of video games, then this game has just hit a bomb outta the park. This puzzle adventure game has very simple puzzles, but suprisingly the characters and story kept me playing. The more I played, the more I leaned closer to the T.V not only because of the engaging story, but because of the fun/unique/intense/ and sometimes even wacky puzzlesIf this was trying to be the saving private ryan of video games, then this game has just hit a bomb outta the park. This puzzle adventure game has very simple puzzles, but suprisingly the characters and story kept me playing. The more I played, the more I leaned closer to the T.V not only because of the engaging story, but because of the fun/unique/intense/ and sometimes even wacky puzzles and action during the span of this game. The variety of this game kept things interesting, and how the game followed the four characters were excellent. I also loved the art-style of the game, the narration was very interesting, and the gameplay was very responsive. Having the collectibles also kept this game from being linear, which I enjoyed. The only negatives for me was the forced history lesson that pops up during the game (which I whole-heartedly ignored), and the recurring setup for puzzles (you have to finish puzzle A to get to Puzzle B to advance to the more interesting part of the story). And that ending, I legit almost cried, but held it together, it was that emotional. To end, I had a hard time deciding whether or not to give this one a 9 or 10, but settled on the latter since it's not a full priced triple a game, that everyone needs to experience. Expand
  4. Apr 3, 2015
    Ubisoft game made to look like indie sh***.. ? What's next? Pixel art Last Of Us? I agree gfx is not everything in games, but this is not much of a game anyway.
  5. May 2, 2015
    In a way Valiant Hearts is a challenge to everyone in the industry; it's a challenge to the publishers churning out the same old "war games," and it's a challenge to all the players that continue to buy into these games without really thinking about what they are playing. War isn't fun, and it has a real impact on the people that are involved in it. It's games like this one that,In a way Valiant Hearts is a challenge to everyone in the industry; it's a challenge to the publishers churning out the same old "war games," and it's a challenge to all the players that continue to buy into these games without really thinking about what they are playing. War isn't fun, and it has a real impact on the people that are involved in it. It's games like this one that, critically, remind us that there is a human side to war. Expand
  6. Mar 24, 2015
    A simple game with some obvious flaws (the same somber music starts everytime you open the menu, which happens a lot as you examine collectibles, rifle through historical context, and read diary entries) but complex in its tight-knit story and well fleshed out characters. It accomplishes exactly what it sets out to accomplish.
  7. Mar 25, 2015
    I haven't put in too many hours on this game yet, but I am surely enjoying it. I love the historical facts and the graphics style, those are my two favorite things. Overall, I find the game easy to play and very entertaining. The story seems very real and intimate, and I am excited to continue with this game.
  8. May 12, 2015
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War was a great game that had some high emotional moments throughout, this is was a free pick up on PS Plus and it was worth it.

As a platformer, VH has many interesting and unique puzzles throughout each level, and some proved to be quite challenging, with interesting aspects to it like having to use your dog companion to get through certain areas. It was fun to be able to change between characters and experiment with using them to complete certain tasks. Surprisingly, for a game centered on war Valiant Hearts features little combat and the characters you control almost never use any sort of gun and use violence only in minimum circumstance, and even without the use of much violent acts the mechanics were fun and more focused on puzzle solving not combat.

The visuals in this game are very unique, and nicely done. Ubiart is producing some great interesting art direction with some of their games like in Child of light. This game looks as if you are going through a drawing book and it fits well. Sound design is great and really added to the feel the game was trying to give off, there were times where i would just sit at the menu screen to hear the music being played.

The Story itself is pretty good and will keep you interested with some heartfelt moments, but what is the best about the story is the atmosphere that it evokes, as you really get a feel for how war truly plays out, with scenes depicting cruel, quick deaths to your comrades and the ones you love. It truly sets the mood and gives you some really touching moments throughout.

Valiant Hearts is a great atmospheric tale through WWI and with unique art direction, fun puzzle like gameplay, collectibles to find, and an evoking world with some good emotional moments, it was well worth my time.
  9. Jul 7, 2014
    Unbelieveable game! Took my breath away. This Ubisoft took history and video games, a told an amazing story about the hardships during World War 1 in Europe. The characters, the soundtrack, gameplay, etc., were all amazing. This game will really hit home for some people, so expect sadness at some points. Beautiful, beautiful game; that must be played for people with a heart. These indieUnbelieveable game! Took my breath away. This Ubisoft took history and video games, a told an amazing story about the hardships during World War 1 in Europe. The characters, the soundtrack, gameplay, etc., were all amazing. This game will really hit home for some people, so expect sadness at some points. Beautiful, beautiful game; that must be played for people with a heart. These indie games are really starting to make an impact in the industry of video games. A must play for only 15 bucks! Expand
  10. May 12, 2015
    A thought provoking side-scroller-puzzler set in and around the horrors of World War I. 4 intertwining stories about loss and surviving against all odds. Very well written and presented, Valiant Hearts is an under-appreciated gem which should not be missed. Some of the puzzles are a little misguided and the game does little to guide you in certain situation which occur about once perA thought provoking side-scroller-puzzler set in and around the horrors of World War I. 4 intertwining stories about loss and surviving against all odds. Very well written and presented, Valiant Hearts is an under-appreciated gem which should not be missed. Some of the puzzles are a little misguided and the game does little to guide you in certain situation which occur about once per chapter. The hint system is hit and miss, 2 out of the 4 times I referred to it the hints were irrellivant. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Expand
  11. Mar 28, 2015
    Soldats Inconnus : Mémoires de la Grande Guerre est un émouvant jeu vidéo d'énigme/bande dessinée interactive inspiré par la grande guerre de 1914 - 1918 celle que l'on a surnommé la der des der.
    C'est développé par un studio français s'il vous plait je tiens à le souligner : Ubisoft Montpellier allez cocorico lol.
    Nos protagonistes se retrouvent embarqués malgré eux dans ce terrible
    Nos protagonistes se retrouvent embarqués malgré eux dans ce terrible conflit mais l'espoir va renaitre à force courage et de dévouement tout au long de l'aventure.
    Dés le début, on sent tout de suite un jeu crée par une équipe de passionnés et enrichie par les bases de données d’Apocalypse la 1re Guerre mondiale cela donne vraiment un jeu très convaincant.
    En effet tout au long de vos pérégrinations vous découvrirez les lieux et faits marquants de la grande guerre mais également pour les plus curieux d'entre vous des notes, objets ou anecdotes viendront enrichir vos connaissances.
    Bref foncez acheter le jeu, il vaut vraiment le coup aussi bien pour sa direction artistique façon bande dessinée que pour ses personnages attachants, émouvants et drôles.
    Tout simplement le meilleur jeu d'Ubisoft en 2014 !! =)
  12. Feb 20, 2015
    If your looking for a deep puzzler, or a robust platform game, this isn't it.

If your looking for a deep puzzler, or a robust platform game, this isn't it.

What Valiant Hearts is, and I believe aimed to be, is an enlightening (in that the devs have crammed loads of real great war facts within the game), charming and enjoyable story, told in the format of a game. It's so full of emotionally charged and beautiful constructed elegant story, that the simplistic puzzles and ease of completion won't even cross your mind as you go from character to character.

I really loved this game. It's been really well thought out, drawn in a unique comic style and made as a game you can sit down and play through smiling throughout. Brilliant, recommend to all
  13. Jun 24, 2014
    Finally there is a war game which is not to gun blaze every one all the time. Valiant Hearts: The Great War has a interesting, touching and meaningful story line. Gameplay is quite good. The puzzle solving is great. It even creates more intense moment than other ordinary action adventure game. It is probably the best game Ubisoft has made this year. It is very cheap and you should pick itFinally there is a war game which is not to gun blaze every one all the time. Valiant Hearts: The Great War has a interesting, touching and meaningful story line. Gameplay is quite good. The puzzle solving is great. It even creates more intense moment than other ordinary action adventure game. It is probably the best game Ubisoft has made this year. It is very cheap and you should pick it up. 1 marks extra is given to all the emotional and beautiful trailers of this game. Expand
  14. Apr 17, 2015
    This game was one of the most impressive ones 2014, it told touching story and at same taught that the war isn't fun. All the players will not enjoy this game, because they want more action or thrill. Im one of them, but i still played up to end even though sometimes i meant indeed to give up.
  15. Mar 28, 2015
    It's difficult to find a flaw with Valiant Hearts: The Great War. Featuring beautiful environments and an engaging story, the game never failed to wow me. Yes, there are some rather uninspiring levels included (such as the boss fights) but overall this game is very well polished. The puzzles are challenging but satisfying when completed. It's a good game but the main problem is it barelyIt's difficult to find a flaw with Valiant Hearts: The Great War. Featuring beautiful environments and an engaging story, the game never failed to wow me. Yes, there are some rather uninspiring levels included (such as the boss fights) but overall this game is very well polished. The puzzles are challenging but satisfying when completed. It's a good game but the main problem is it barely offers any replay value. I want to give this game a 10 but there's something inside me telling me not to. I don't know what it is! Expand
  16. Mar 12, 2015
    I only got this game as it was free on PS Plus but I'm very glad it was. What a pleasant surprise this game is. This puzzles in the games aren't that hard but it has a good story and also doesn't seem to shy away from the brutality of WW1 despite being a cartoon. It includes lots of facts to read up on about WW1 if you are interested too. Some parts feel a little tedious but overall aI only got this game as it was free on PS Plus but I'm very glad it was. What a pleasant surprise this game is. This puzzles in the games aren't that hard but it has a good story and also doesn't seem to shy away from the brutality of WW1 despite being a cartoon. It includes lots of facts to read up on about WW1 if you are interested too. Some parts feel a little tedious but overall a really enjoyable game. Expand
  17. Jul 1, 2014
    Valiant Hearts is a beautiful game that shows you what few other war games ever will: War is not fun. There very little besides pain and despair for those involved. This portrays this wonderfully, but still manages to wrap all of it around a very touching story.
    The gameplay is unremarkable but works well, but much like the Walking Dead or the Wolf Among Us, you won't be coming back to it for the gameplay. Instead, you'll be emotionally caught up in the characters and the world around them.
    I also greatly appreciated Ubisoft's effort to keep the game as historically accurate as possible. At the start of every new scene, you are (optionally) bombarded with historical facts and photos to give you a better sense of life in the trenches. Yes, it means you have to stop and read for a little bit, but the way it enriches the story makes it worth every second.
    I cannot say enough about this game, but I highly recommend it. You will come away with a better understanding of not only this often-overlooked war, but warfare in general, and I believe you will enjoy it.
  18. Jan 9, 2015
    I loved this game. The puzzles were entertaining. The world beautifully designed. It had enough background information to keep you informed if you so choose. It didnt pop up in your face breaking the pace of the game. I also admired how they included all aspects of the war, and covered all the groups involved. Well done for being culturally inclusive and truthful.

A few bugs where the

A few bugs where the character got stuck and forced me to restart the section, and the ladders were for some reason very annoying for me (couldn't walk past them without going up or down).

Those minor issues aside, they didn't stop me from enjoying a great game which was a nice break from the usual mindless killing of other games. (Yes its a game on WW1, but the focus isn't really on your character being violent). And a pleasant plus, was the game was long enough to enjoy without it being cut short by an abrupt ending,

Overall, great game and worth checking out if your up for a side view puzzle game set in a beautifully designed world.
  19. Apr 23, 2015
    This is probably one of the best puzzle adventures ever made. It's beautiful and touching with a lot of interesting facts that help you immerse in the story (and learn something along the way) . Well made in every aspect.

Probably the only downside is that puzzles tend to become repetitive towards the last hour of gameplay.
  20. Mar 29, 2015
    Valiant Hearts is one of the best puzzle games I played so far. The game is different from other war games where you shoot to kill. It shows you the emotional part of the war and it shows you how sad a war can be. The soundtrack was just on spot, really reaching those emotions when it was needed. Another plus about this game is the characters, which you see evolve from before the war untilValiant Hearts is one of the best puzzle games I played so far. The game is different from other war games where you shoot to kill. It shows you the emotional part of the war and it shows you how sad a war can be. The soundtrack was just on spot, really reaching those emotions when it was needed. Another plus about this game is the characters, which you see evolve from before the war until nearly the end of it. Apart from these I really liked that it holds a great historical value because you have the option to read about certain historical facts in each level. Ubisoft did a great thing by making this game. Expand
  21. Jul 2, 2014
    This puzzle game, in conjunction with the background information about the great war that it supplies, has an absolutely moving, hearth-touching sad storyline. the graphical style is beautiful, as is the soundtrack. only the baron should be less cartoony and villainous imho, but besides that it's a great experience to play.
  22. Mar 12, 2015
    I fired this game up for the free PS4 game of the month and I saw it was made by Ubisoft. Oh boy..

This game is beautiful. The style is awesome. The game is emotional. It's a mix of action and puzzle solving in a way you've probably never seen before. It can be easy, but at times the puzzles are tricky. The mechanics aren't that great and they can hurt you in the puzzles. This game

This game is really cool and emotional. It's very short, but the ride is worth it.
  23. Mar 9, 2015
    This is something hands down amazing. Valiant Hearts goes deep in that of WW1 a very touchy subject as neither side could be described as good or evil like many can with WW2, so instead the game goes into the lives of soldiers and show/tells us the ways how war is Hell. We got 4 characters here Emile a French Soldiers, Freddie a US citizen joining French forces, Anna a medic who only aimsThis is something hands down amazing. Valiant Hearts goes deep in that of WW1 a very touchy subject as neither side could be described as good or evil like many can with WW2, so instead the game goes into the lives of soldiers and show/tells us the ways how war is Hell. We got 4 characters here Emile a French Soldiers, Freddie a US citizen joining French forces, Anna a medic who only aims to make sure people survive this Hell, and Karl Emile's step son who was forced out of France and made into a German Soldier. However Emile in this is the main main character, the game mostly centers around each one of these character's personal goals and endeavors making the war something of an obstacle for each of them to get around. Gameplay wise is it is a simple 2D platforming/puzzle solving adventure usually you have to progress past something by finding an item to use to progress past something, simply put if you don't like being paced and stopping to think stay away from this game. Even with that said it's something to see with the ending being pure beauty (not going to spoil anything) as we drag our character witnessing horrifying (yet stylish) cartoonish locations that make it so when the heavy emotional stuff has a greater impact than any serious war game that has come up in the past. With all this considered there is a certain demographic that is specifically targeted here and that is people interested in story, if you don't have a lot of time on your hands, or are looking for game to have actual fun in then I have to tell you to stay far away from this game as possible, it has a heavy atmosphere that doesn't let up putting the weight war on your character who you can't help but want to come out of this, this game is also very educational too somethings are simple and in fact you could learn some new things which is pretty neat. But anyway this is a very emotional pain train of a game and will play with your emotions like nothing. I would give this game a score between 8-9 but I decide to give this a 10 to somewhat raise the score a bit. Expand
  24. Mar 8, 2015
    Not for everyone, yet I felt this game was made just for me. A story that gave so much emotion, which is rare. Shadow of Colossus and The last of us are the only games I feel can compete with that. Art is beautiful. I despised history class, yet this game gives interesting facts that make you realize WW1 had more than death and treaties signed. Great stuff. Free on PS Plus, but if INot for everyone, yet I felt this game was made just for me. A story that gave so much emotion, which is rare. Shadow of Colossus and The last of us are the only games I feel can compete with that. Art is beautiful. I despised history class, yet this game gives interesting facts that make you realize WW1 had more than death and treaties signed. Great stuff. Free on PS Plus, but if I knew it was this good I woudl have paid full price. Expand
  25. Jul 8, 2014
    This is why I play video games. This game... right here. Forget the gore, violence and sex and all that other jazz that gets pumped into games. This game boils down to something pure and honorable. Something that connects with anyone who has a shred of compassion for a fellow human being. The musical score and characters and the terrible situation (WWI) they find themselves in draw youThis is why I play video games. This game... right here. Forget the gore, violence and sex and all that other jazz that gets pumped into games. This game boils down to something pure and honorable. Something that connects with anyone who has a shred of compassion for a fellow human being. The musical score and characters and the terrible situation (WWI) they find themselves in draw you instantly. Then you stay, through the puzzles and the mud, anger and tears, because you want each character to be happy. But war isn't a happy place and the game reminds you of this. "War makes men mad". This is a MUST BUY. The only reason that it doesn't get a 10 is because I'm selfish and it I wish they had a few more levels. Expand
  26. Jul 1, 2014
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a very interesting concept for a game. A puzzle Adventure set in the midst of World War One. While there are parts of this game that do a good job and reminding us of the price the conflict had on everyone, it's too often sandwiched between an overly cartoonish representation of war, obtuse puzzle design, and action segments that would make even Call ofValiant Hearts: The Great War is a very interesting concept for a game. A puzzle Adventure set in the midst of World War One. While there are parts of this game that do a good job and reminding us of the price the conflict had on everyone, it's too often sandwiched between an overly cartoonish representation of war, obtuse puzzle design, and action segments that would make even Call of Duty players scratch their heads at the lack of realism. I can only recommend this if you're a history buff or a fan of old adventure games. Expand
  27. May 17, 2015
    The ending of this game just might make you cry.

The ending of this game just might make you cry.

Valiant Hearts is a wonderful story of three characters during the first world war. Rather than glorify the combat of trench warfare and the like, Valiant Hearts shows the human side of a terrible conflict. As you progress the game educates you (optionally) by providing historical photographs and information on the various aspects of the war. I personally found these to be a fantastic addition to an already good game, leaving me with a better knowledge on the great war after I had finished the game.

Valiant Hearts can feel slow in parts and some of the puzzles are genuinely frustrating to the point of having made me want to turn the game off and play something else more immediately rewarding. However, if you stick with it I can promise you it becomes a rich and engaging experience with a wonderful ending that leaves you feeling like you played something truly special.
  28. Jul 2, 2014
    Stunning visuals and incredible story, at no point was I left disappointed. A variety of gameplay mechanics make the game feel fresh and surprising from start to finish , If you're used to more difficult puzzles like in Machinarium then you might be disappointed, you won't have to search through a FAQ to get passed these puzzles but I don't think they are meant to stump you. The realStunning visuals and incredible story, at no point was I left disappointed. A variety of gameplay mechanics make the game feel fresh and surprising from start to finish , If you're used to more difficult puzzles like in Machinarium then you might be disappointed, you won't have to search through a FAQ to get passed these puzzles but I don't think they are meant to stump you. The real reward is in the story and visuals the gameplay and puzzles compliment it. this is war told honestly and I hope its success leads to more emotional stories from the frontline and not more superhero type one man army games (Although I don't want to see all of those go either) Expand
  29. Jun 26, 2014
    from the start to the end, this game is beautiful. it works well at all at which is does, from the story, to the way the puzzles are implemented. i wont speak of anything specific of what i liked or disliked as i would recommend you see it all for yourself. its good game. a really game. a refreshing one. and im more than happy i bought it. i wouldnt say its perfect, but it has a sweet spotfrom the start to the end, this game is beautiful. it works well at all at which is does, from the story, to the way the puzzles are implemented. i wont speak of anything specific of what i liked or disliked as i would recommend you see it all for yourself. its good game. a really game. a refreshing one. and im more than happy i bought it. i wouldnt say its perfect, but it has a sweet spot my heart! Expand
  30. Apr 11, 2015
    In case you ever get into an argument about video games being art, Valiant Hearts is a definitive proof that, yes, games can be art indeed. VH can be best described as a puzzle platformer. You control five characters with different abilities and solve puzzles in a 2D environment. The controls are simple and intuitive and the game is fun to play. The graphics are beautiful and it'sIn case you ever get into an argument about video games being art, Valiant Hearts is a definitive proof that, yes, games can be art indeed. VH can be best described as a puzzle platformer. You control five characters with different abilities and solve puzzles in a 2D environment. The controls are simple and intuitive and the game is fun to play. The graphics are beautiful and it's impressive to see what Ubisoft managed to do. Screenshots don't do this game a justice, you must see it in action.
    What makes VH more than just a pretty puzzle game is the writing, narration and music. Without giving away any of the plot details, the story follows five characters (well, four and a dog) of different nationalities and the way World War 1 changed their lives forever. The game provides many WW1 facts and historical photos to give context to the game's events. VH is a short game but it's a powerful experience that you'll be thinking about long after the ending credits are over.
  31. Jun 30, 2014
    I've been reading history a lot, one of my favorite parts of human history is of course ww1 and it's most emotional one for me, even more emotional and important than ww2(my opinion). Reasons are different, but about the game i can say that my whole year anticipation was worth it. You know, not only the story itself is done perfect and deep, Ubisoft showed how horrible war is, what reallyI've been reading history a lot, one of my favorite parts of human history is of course ww1 and it's most emotional one for me, even more emotional and important than ww2(my opinion). Reasons are different, but about the game i can say that my whole year anticipation was worth it. You know, not only the story itself is done perfect and deep, Ubisoft showed how horrible war is, what really happened on those fields of blood and pain. The great Pro of this game is that it doesn't quite chooses sides, it tells a story of people who lived at those dark times. I think that all understand that some survived , some not and not only this aspect made me cry a bath of tears, but I even had to stop playing the game on middle of playthrough, because i couldn't just keep up with fact that this happened. Gameplay is done great and with charm, sound sometimes just touches my heart and just whole game is beautiful experience.The characters are done excellent and you sympathize to their story, (sad part is that there is almost no George ark) In my opinion, the game is perfect and it's perfectly showing what the war did with people, what is doing write now and what sadly will do. Valiant Hearts has now a special place in my heart. Expand
  32. Jun 29, 2014
    sweet art style very great story love reading about all the facts and learning about WW1 from the point of view of the trenches parts were probably the only part i didn't like
  33. Jun 28, 2014
    Amazing game which compelled me to write my first review, ubisoft are fast becoming my developers of choice. Love the art style it's beautiful and shows that current gen photo realism is not always best. pick this up you won't be disappointed. By the way ignore the 0 scores they are a joke, they must have been playing an atari 2600 game or something.
  34. Jun 28, 2014
    The game is beautiful. Not only in appearence, but in story as well. The music, the actions, the art, create an amazing storytelling experience with so much emotion that will make your heart race and your eyes tear. Also, the game is fun, envolving and have lots of smart puzzles. The gameplay never gets repetitive. The ending could be little longer, but still make it all worth it. Great game.
  35. Jun 27, 2014
    Unbelievable. Emotional, moving, intimate. Beautiful. This is what is taking gaming from a child's activity to the most powerful medium available for storytelling. Simple story based on a truly horrific event. Easy to identify with, lovable characters, and an interface so friendly this is accessible to gamers of all skill level.

This is a MUST play for all of those passionate gamers

This is a MUST play for all of those passionate gamers who need more to a game than a reticle with some explosions. The best advice I can give is to stop reading about this game and go buy it now. A beautifully rendered, inspiring journey is only $15 away. Show Ubiart that we NEED more of this in our lives!
  36. Jul 24, 2014
    This game is so unique, emotional, and beautiful, that it would be a crime for anyone to rate it low or not feel a thing when you're playing it. I mean it, who wouldn't feel a thing when it goes to the horrors of war, that war being World War 1, and the fact that it has a helpful dog companion?
  37. Apr 22, 2015
    A simple, interesting puzzle game. Enjoyable to play, very nice music, and nice story. The extra information and collectibles added some extra depth to the game too.
  38. Apr 13, 2015
    Overall 6/10. Music was the best aspect of this extremely linear, short-lived, novel. Too much reading, consisting of the 100+ collectible items, historical facts, and journal entries. The ending was great, but the overall performance of this OK game was just that: OK. Walking from point A to B to C etc. while button mashing the X button to hopefully find any hidden collectible. ButtonOverall 6/10. Music was the best aspect of this extremely linear, short-lived, novel. Too much reading, consisting of the 100+ collectible items, historical facts, and journal entries. The ending was great, but the overall performance of this OK game was just that: OK. Walking from point A to B to C etc. while button mashing the X button to hopefully find any hidden collectible. Button mashing by the dog and you per the dog, every 1 to 2 seconds. I will never play again, and I hope Ubi actually makes better games from now on, than this and ASSASSin's Creed Expand
  39. Jul 16, 2014
    Valiant Hearts is one of the finest games about war ever created. War games typically involve aiming down sights and shooting folks while everything blows up around you, a cut scene starts that tries to shoe horn in some story, then you follow another guy to another place, shooting along the way, for another cut scene. Valiant Hearts does away with all of that, telling the story ofValiant Hearts is one of the finest games about war ever created. War games typically involve aiming down sights and shooting folks while everything blows up around you, a cut scene starts that tries to shoe horn in some story, then you follow another guy to another place, shooting along the way, for another cut scene. Valiant Hearts does away with all of that, telling the story of multiple characters whose lives intersect during World War I, and giving you glimpse into how devastating the Great War was.

Created in the Ubi Art engine, and using a puzzle solving approach, the game takes you across France in an effort to give you a glimpse of what life might have been like. The controls are solid, the graphics lend an introspective feeling to the game that is unexpected, and the sound is wonderful. Though most of the gameplay portions have no actual dialogue, the voice overs that do occur are excellently written and acted.

The puzzles are not going to be the toughest, and the game is not very long, but if you are looking for an engaging, well written, insightful game, look no further. Valiant Hearts is not a game everyone will love, but it is a game that shows how good story telling can make a huge difference in the end quality of the game.
  40. Mar 9, 2015
    If you're looking for a FPS type game or something with difficult puzzles go find a different game. However, if you're looking for a game that tells a story where you become invested in the characters, then this game is for you. While the graphics aren't ground breaking, they do look quite nice. The story and the characters are the real centerpiece to this game and I loved almost everyIf you're looking for a FPS type game or something with difficult puzzles go find a different game. However, if you're looking for a game that tells a story where you become invested in the characters, then this game is for you. While the graphics aren't ground breaking, they do look quite nice. The story and the characters are the real centerpiece to this game and I loved almost every minute of the game.

The only reason I didn't give this game a 10 is that I ran into a few locations in the game where the game got stuck. I could move around and do things, but the thing I needed to do to progress in the puzzle wasn't working. A quick exit of the current game and continue fixed the issue each time and the auto save is never that far back.
  41. ndr
    Jul 5, 2014
    One of the best games in it genre. Great graphics, great story. Once I started playing I couldn't stop!

This and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is one of the best games I've played in a long time!
  42. Mar 23, 2015
    Superb game, it keeps growing and growing on you, until the end, that is beautiful. The piano songs, art, camera movements, clever puzzles and a cast of very nice characters, that by the end of the game feels like they're your friends.
  43. Mar 19, 2015
    Good plot, great storytelling, but poor gameplay. This is a simple puzzle game that exploits greatly an historical setting to build up a solid novel. I think of it as a nice interactive movie instead as a boring adventure videogame.
    If you can go beyond the faults of its gameplay and appreciate its emotional impact above all, then you'll surely enjoy it.
  44. Jun 25, 2014
    Отличная игра, повествует о событиях Первой мировой от лица простых французских солдат.
    Все уже пошутили про её стартовую цену, так что я воздержусь.
  45. Mar 11, 2015
    Idk why this game is rated so high. I just bought it and it sucks. It's like watching a really crappy movie, except you are the one moving the ppl around. Every couple of screens is a small puzzle which is terrible bc the puzzles are usually as simple as "Get the wrench in screen 1 and use it on the flashing red bolt in screen 2". The story is incredibly dry, besides avoiding hazardsIdk why this game is rated so high. I just bought it and it sucks. It's like watching a really crappy movie, except you are the one moving the ppl around. Every couple of screens is a small puzzle which is terrible bc the puzzles are usually as simple as "Get the wrench in screen 1 and use it on the flashing red bolt in screen 2". The story is incredibly dry, besides avoiding hazards like falling bombs, there is no skill element to this game. It really is one of the poorest interactive experiences that I have ever had. If you enjoy this game, you might try reading a pop up book next. Expand
  46. Jan 17, 2015
    Straight up one of the best game I ever played. It looks amazing but more importantly the story is really good. It's emotional and gets you right in to the story and WW 1. I had goosebumps and also tears in my eyes several times. The gameplay/puzzles are very nice even though some might get bored of it, as it gets a bit repetetive (I did have no problem with it). The music is exceptionalStraight up one of the best game I ever played. It looks amazing but more importantly the story is really good. It's emotional and gets you right in to the story and WW 1. I had goosebumps and also tears in my eyes several times. The gameplay/puzzles are very nice even though some might get bored of it, as it gets a bit repetetive (I did have no problem with it). The music is exceptional and fits perfectly to the game and it's moments.
    Play it until the end. It's worth your time and you will love it.
    I would love to see other developers make so beautiful and emotional games instead of concentrating on realistic graphics. But that's just my opinion.
  47. Jul 2, 2014
    I didn't like the game at all because it's a very, very boring game. The graphics are really awesome on Ubisoft's Artwork engine but that's the only positive thing on Valiant Hearts.
  48. Mar 19, 2015
    Buy this game immediately if you have not played it yet!!! Ok with that out of the table, I want to say that the game is amazing. The story is emotional, gripping and makes you care about the characters. The gameplay is pretty simple with puzzles here and there. It shows that war is not just like the war in Call of Duty but a violent bloodbath. There is not a lot of games that made me cryBuy this game immediately if you have not played it yet!!! Ok with that out of the table, I want to say that the game is amazing. The story is emotional, gripping and makes you care about the characters. The gameplay is pretty simple with puzzles here and there. It shows that war is not just like the war in Call of Duty but a violent bloodbath. There is not a lot of games that made me cry but this is one of them. Good job Ubisoft Montpellier! Recommend it to everyone. Expand
  49. Mar 27, 2015
    Praise be, a good Ubisoft game to come out in 2014. Honestly, if Ubisoft spent more time and resources on games such as this, the industry would be a better place. Valiant Hearts is a low budget game from a smaller subsidiary of Ubisoft, but what it achieves with that budget is what makes this game the bargain of the year regardless of the asking price. This adventure weaves intuitivePraise be, a good Ubisoft game to come out in 2014. Honestly, if Ubisoft spent more time and resources on games such as this, the industry would be a better place. Valiant Hearts is a low budget game from a smaller subsidiary of Ubisoft, but what it achieves with that budget is what makes this game the bargain of the year regardless of the asking price. This adventure weaves intuitive story telling and an emotional roller coaster with an educational base. Seriously, if I was a history teacher I would just demand all my students complete this game while I put my feet up over a nice cup of mocha and an episode of Game of Thrones and let the A-grade essays pile up on my desk. Valiant Hearts provides a detailed description of many battles fought over the course of the First World War including items of importance to the soldiers, military hardware involved in the conflict as well as dates, locations and events of relevance to the war. My favorite aspect of this game however, is how it places several interesting characters in the actual events of WWI, discusses traumatizing and depressing subjects but somehow makes it a pleasure to play and even funny at times, aided by the comic style design and lack of speech during gameplay. All in all, if you're looking for a 5-8 hour adventure that pulls on your heart strings and fills you full of knowledge that you can show off to all your friends, I struggle to think of a more perfect package than Valiant Hearts. This is one you're not gonna want to miss. Expand
  50. Mar 29, 2015
    I really didn't know what to expect from this game, because i didn't read anything about it before playing, and i have to say that it was a very good choice because i was emerged in an extraordinary story. I've been captured by it and played till the end just wanting to know how it unfolds. The only down side of the game is that is pretty linear. And pretty easy. Although i didn't findI really didn't know what to expect from this game, because i didn't read anything about it before playing, and i have to say that it was a very good choice because i was emerged in an extraordinary story. I've been captured by it and played till the end just wanting to know how it unfolds. The only down side of the game is that is pretty linear. And pretty easy. Although i didn't find every collectibles in the game. But it is beautyfull. Simple but beautyfull. Expand
  51. Mar 15, 2015
    This is a very good game, both humorous and tragic at the same time. It is not a pure adventure game with difficult puzzles, something I never liked at all; on the contrary, this is a quite easy game both for action players and puzzle solvers; so any average player can enjoy it, the best part is the story and the characters; everything about the First World War is looked from the side ofThis is a very good game, both humorous and tragic at the same time. It is not a pure adventure game with difficult puzzles, something I never liked at all; on the contrary, this is a quite easy game both for action players and puzzle solvers; so any average player can enjoy it, the best part is the story and the characters; everything about the First World War is looked from the side of humanity, human losses, nad sacrifices. In addition, you get very nice and summarized history lesson about the First World War. Expand
  52. Jun 27, 2014
    This is one of the games that got me more sentimnetaly attached to it you should play it.I think this game is worth every penny spent on it and also i cried several tims trough the story.
  53. Jun 29, 2014
    Great immersive storrytelling and music. The story is so solid, the facts of war is even interesting and really connect to the game's story. Simple animation graphic but looks and play smoothly. Well done developer for making this nice game.
  54. Jul 24, 2014
    very good game, with excellent puzzles and much real historical content. The Narrative about the characters is well posed and the relationship between them, the way the pet inserted as is done dynamically involved in the story is an additive that makes it more addictive. Very good game
  55. Jul 6, 2014
    Valiant Hearts:The Great War is a game that both inspires and encourages hope in a bleak and desolate WW1 era Europe. The puzzles were fleshed together in a way that made sense both in game and in context, you aren't superman, you are a soldier. You need to use your mind to get through situations. Decisions need to be made in seconds if you wish too keep those you love alive. The gameValiant Hearts:The Great War is a game that both inspires and encourages hope in a bleak and desolate WW1 era Europe. The puzzles were fleshed together in a way that made sense both in game and in context, you aren't superman, you are a soldier. You need to use your mind to get through situations. Decisions need to be made in seconds if you wish too keep those you love alive. The game brings a incredible amount of emotion into a time that is tragically overlooked. It puts you in the position of normal, regular day people, made to fight in one of histories most atrocious wars. Death and sorrow become commonplace in the trenches of Valiant Hearts, and the fantastic sound and art design create a atmosphere which makes you feel so vulnerable, so out in the open, that it made me shiver any time I would see a fellow soldier fall to just one of thousands of hazards that plagued the battlefield. While experiencing the levels, you will find a dynamic backdrop that shows the plight of your brothers, those who are simply following orders. The "boss battles" if you will are excellent and well paced as they make you lose that sense of security of abiding by your own rules and throw you into situations filled with panic and paranoia. The fight with the Baron in the bunker stands out as incredibly tense and filled with emotions that compel you to prevail in order to save those you hold so dearly . The story complements the game play in a way that few games, excluding Journey and Brothers: A tale of Two Sons, have managed to accomplish. It creates a bond not between you and the characters, but the characters themselves. Never once while playing did I feel that I was playing a game, I felt like I was there with the assortment of character that we encounter in this journey. The ending itself suits the game perfectly and not to spoil anything, it did leave a hole in my heart. All in all, this game is another fantastic example of the rebirth in story-driven games that has come to fruition in these past 2 years. If you have 15 dollars on hand, you owe it to yourself to get a copy of Valiant Hearts: The Great War. Expand
  56. Aug 21, 2014
    This game was the fisrt to make me cry the way that the story is told without words is amazing and extreely emotional I did think the puzzles were tedious but they did have a rewarding feeling this game is a masterpeice and shows that not everyone can win
  57. Aug 24, 2014
    Moving and intimate. These are just two words to describe this game. Ubisoft have shown the true horrors of war with grace and truthfulness, yet with respect. All should play this game just to get an idea of what it would been like for all those brave men and woman.
  58. Oct 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beautifully drawn and animated game, with a moving story and touching music! The gameplay is fun and simple, completing puzzles and thinking outside of the box without it being repetitive. The extra information you get about WWI is worth reading and adds to the atmosphere of the game. The thing that struck me most was that Valiant Hearts is a rare war-based game in which killing your enemies is NOT the main goal; instead you sneak your way through gas filled tunnels and ruins, avoiding dangers while trying to help the locals or sometimes even collaborate with the enemy. One of the endbosses (if you can call it that) is about healing, not murdering. This game shows you the other side of war through a very touching story, and for that it left a deep impression on me. I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game, even though it had some minor bugs and glitches. A real recommendation!! Expand
  59. Mar 21, 2015
    Valiant Heats is simply wonderful. It's mature and whimsical, beautifully directed and cleverly written. This is one of the rare gems in video games that at the conclusion will leave you staring at the screen and contemplating the entirety of what you just witnessed. It's sad and beautiful, and it's worth every penny.
  60. May 15, 2015
    A clear, inspiring and moving insight of the dynamics of the World War I. I usually like these kind of games, adventures/actions and platforms, but this one tops most of the ones I played, I don't understand the poor reviews and the 77/100.

1. Aug 28, 2014
    While it can be completed in less than six hours, it perfectly explores themes and concepts that triple-A titles still have difficulty grasping: gray morality, a poignant, thought-provoking storyline, and appealing gameplay that isn't based on killing everything in sight.
  2. Very pretty, but pretty shallow. Unchallenging – both emotionally and as a puzzle-platformer. [September 2014, p71]
    A short and simple adventure game with strong atmosphere delivered via an unique visual style. If you're looking for something different, this is it. [Issue#244]