8.4

1. May 16, 2016
    Interesting story, cool historical facts, good art direction. Boring repetitive gameplay with search and find elements. You do mostly the same things every single mission.
  2. Mar 23, 2015
    Valiant Hearts is a 2-D side scroller that incorporates gameplay in the fashion of puzzle solving to progress through a very well told story set in World War I. The story is told in comic book style with no animations for their cutscenes. The narration is very well done, and the music selection with contemporary pieces is beautiful. It took me about four hours to play, however, that tookValiant Hearts is a 2-D side scroller that incorporates gameplay in the fashion of puzzle solving to progress through a very well told story set in World War I. The story is told in comic book style with no animations for their cutscenes. The narration is very well done, and the music selection with contemporary pieces is beautiful. It took me about four hours to play, however, that took about a week's worth to get through as I found myself only playing in 15 to 30 minutes spurts. Perhaps because the mind can only go for so long solving puzzles before it needs to move on to something else. The developers did try to interrupt these puzzles with different type of game mechanics, such as those found in classic arcades like "Space Invaders" and "Dig Dug", as well as newer game mechanics like "Angry Birds" and "Guitar Hero". However, I think these mechanics didn't work very well in this game as they did in those games that I mentioned above. If you don't like history or education, you may not appreciate all the items you find to unlock the history of World War I and the reading that goes along with them; which I actually loved. It gave me a good sense of understanding World War I's history much better and the people who lived and fought during that time. It made me care about these characters in the story. Excellent overall story presentation and puzzle solving, however this game may not be to some likings as it game length and reading requirment. Expand
  3. Jul 2, 2014
    This puzzle game, in conjunction with the background information about the great war that it supplies, has an absolutely moving, hearth-touching sad storyline. the graphical style is beautiful, as is the soundtrack. only the baron should be less cartoony and villainous imho, but besides that it's a great experience to play.
  4. Sep 16, 2015
    Despite my burning distaste for Ubisoft, I quite enjoyed this game. I'm echoing the herd at this point, but it was simplistically delivered, and emotionally touching. It manages to humanize rather than villainize soldiers in the unique setting of WWI. This is definitely not for the twitchy types or adrenaline junkies, it's slow paced and easy going, but in the end it hits you right inDespite my burning distaste for Ubisoft, I quite enjoyed this game. I'm echoing the herd at this point, but it was simplistically delivered, and emotionally touching. It manages to humanize rather than villainize soldiers in the unique setting of WWI. This is definitely not for the twitchy types or adrenaline junkies, it's slow paced and easy going, but in the end it hits you right in the feels. Expand
  5. Mar 24, 2015
    A simple game with some obvious flaws (the same somber music starts everytime you open the menu, which happens a lot as you examine collectibles, rifle through historical context, and read diary entries) but complex in its tight-knit story and well fleshed out characters. It accomplishes exactly what it sets out to accomplish.
  6. Sep 12, 2015
    First of all, I really hate most of the indie games. The fact that the game is indie doesn't mean that it has to constantly remind of my my ZX Spectrum from '85.

That being said, Valiant Hearts is one of the best games I've played this year (2015) and I would immediately recommend it to everyone. Very nice (and distinctive) graphic, beautiful music and very emotional story. The

The gameplay is easy to play, but never gets boring and constantly throws new ideas at you.
  7. Mar 9, 2015
    If you're looking for a FPS type game or something with difficult puzzles go find a different game. However, if you're looking for a game that tells a story where you become invested in the characters, then this game is for you. While the graphics aren't ground breaking, they do look quite nice. The story and the characters are the real centerpiece to this game and I loved almost everyIf you're looking for a FPS type game or something with difficult puzzles go find a different game. However, if you're looking for a game that tells a story where you become invested in the characters, then this game is for you. While the graphics aren't ground breaking, they do look quite nice. The story and the characters are the real centerpiece to this game and I loved almost every minute of the game.

The only reason I didn't give this game a 10 is that I ran into a few locations in the game where the game got stuck. I could move around and do things, but the thing I needed to do to progress in the puzzle wasn't working. A quick exit of the current game and continue fixed the issue each time and the auto save is never that far back.
  8. Mar 26, 2015
    If this was trying to be the saving private ryan of video games, then this game has just hit a bomb outta the park. This puzzle adventure game has very simple puzzles, but suprisingly the characters and story kept me playing. The more I played, the more I leaned closer to the T.V not only because of the engaging story, but because of the fun/unique/intense/ and sometimes even wacky puzzlesIf this was trying to be the saving private ryan of video games, then this game has just hit a bomb outta the park. This puzzle adventure game has very simple puzzles, but suprisingly the characters and story kept me playing. The more I played, the more I leaned closer to the T.V not only because of the engaging story, but because of the fun/unique/intense/ and sometimes even wacky puzzles and action during the span of this game. The variety of this game kept things interesting, and how the game followed the four characters were excellent. I also loved the art-style of the game, the narration was very interesting, and the gameplay was very responsive. Having the collectibles also kept this game from being linear, which I enjoyed. The only negatives for me was the forced history lesson that pops up during the game (which I whole-heartedly ignored), and the recurring setup for puzzles (you have to finish puzzle A to get to Puzzle B to advance to the more interesting part of the story). And that ending, I legit almost cried, but held it together, it was that emotional. To end, I had a hard time deciding whether or not to give this one a 9 or 10, but settled on the latter since it's not a full priced triple a game, that everyone needs to experience. Expand
  9. Jul 2, 2014
    Stunning visuals and incredible story, at no point was I left disappointed. A variety of gameplay mechanics make the game feel fresh and surprising from start to finish , If you're used to more difficult puzzles like in Machinarium then you might be disappointed, you won't have to search through a FAQ to get passed these puzzles but I don't think they are meant to stump you. The realStunning visuals and incredible story, at no point was I left disappointed. A variety of gameplay mechanics make the game feel fresh and surprising from start to finish , If you're used to more difficult puzzles like in Machinarium then you might be disappointed, you won't have to search through a FAQ to get passed these puzzles but I don't think they are meant to stump you. The real reward is in the story and visuals the gameplay and puzzles compliment it. this is war told honestly and I hope its success leads to more emotional stories from the frontline and not more superhero type one man army games (Although I don't want to see all of those go either) Expand
  10. Sep 4, 2015
    Valiant Hearts is a 2D sidescrolling puzzle game that tells a great story during the events of WWI. While its not an action game which one might expect for a game set in a war but it does get a nice balance and pace for the gameplay and story.

Pluses: + Excellent Art. Ubisoft really nailed it with the Aesthetics of this game. Fantastic animation and art with great colours really set

Pluses:
    + Excellent Art. Ubisoft really nailed it with the Aesthetics of this game. Fantastic animation and art with great colours really set the tone of this game

+Nice story with interesting characters. Great story set across multiple characters and how them come together. Its great to see a game set in WWI as you dont get many of them.

Negatives:
    -Not a whole lot of gameplay variety. Being set in WWI you would think it would have more action scenes but it settles with a puzzle/hidden object type of game with one of two scenes being a dodging driving scene.

Overall its not a bad game but it probably wont excite those who expect it to be an action games set in WWI. I certainly enjoyed it and would recommend it to those who enjoy this type of game.
  11. Jun 26, 2014
    from the start to the end, this game is beautiful. it works well at all at which is does, from the story, to the way the puzzles are implemented. i wont speak of anything specific of what i liked or disliked as i would recommend you see it all for yourself. its good game. a really game. a refreshing one. and im more than happy i bought it. i wouldnt say its perfect, but it has a sweet spotfrom the start to the end, this game is beautiful. it works well at all at which is does, from the story, to the way the puzzles are implemented. i wont speak of anything specific of what i liked or disliked as i would recommend you see it all for yourself. its good game. a really game. a refreshing one. and im more than happy i bought it. i wouldnt say its perfect, but it has a sweet spot my heart! Expand
  12. ndr
    Jul 5, 2014
    One of the best games in it genre. Great graphics, great story. Once I started playing I couldn't stop!

This and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is one of the best games I've played in a long time!
  13. Jun 30, 2014
    I've been reading history a lot, one of my favorite parts of human history is of course ww1 and it's most emotional one for me, even more emotional and important than ww2(my opinion). Reasons are different, but about the game i can say that my whole year anticipation was worth it. You know, not only the story itself is done perfect and deep, Ubisoft showed how horrible war is, what reallyI've been reading history a lot, one of my favorite parts of human history is of course ww1 and it's most emotional one for me, even more emotional and important than ww2(my opinion). Reasons are different, but about the game i can say that my whole year anticipation was worth it. You know, not only the story itself is done perfect and deep, Ubisoft showed how horrible war is, what really happened on those fields of blood and pain. The great Pro of this game is that it doesn't quite chooses sides, it tells a story of people who lived at those dark times. I think that all understand that some survived , some not and not only this aspect made me cry a bath of tears, but I even had to stop playing the game on middle of playthrough, because i couldn't just keep up with fact that this happened. Gameplay is done great and with charm, sound sometimes just touches my heart and just whole game is beautiful experience.The characters are done excellent and you sympathize to their story, (sad part is that there is almost no George ark) In my opinion, the game is perfect and it's perfectly showing what the war did with people, what is doing write now and what sadly will do. Valiant Hearts has now a special place in my heart. Expand
  14. Mar 14, 2017
    Hmm, i was expecting something little different, but not bad at all. Heartbreaking and real story. I think i would vote more if my nationality was one of heroes.
  15. Mar 23, 2015
    Superb game, it keeps growing and growing on you, until the end, that is beautiful. The piano songs, art, camera movements, clever puzzles and a cast of very nice characters, that by the end of the game feels like they're your friends.
  16. Jul 1, 2014
    Valiant Hearts is a beautiful game that shows you what few other war games ever will: War is not fun. There very little besides pain and despair for those involved. This portrays this wonderfully, but still manages to wrap all of it around a very touching story.
    The gameplay is unremarkable but works well, but much like the Walking Dead or the Wolf Among Us, you won't be coming back to it for the gameplay. Instead, you'll be emotionally caught up in the characters and the world around them.
    I also greatly appreciated Ubisoft's effort to keep the game as historically accurate as possible. At the start of every new scene, you are (optionally) bombarded with historical facts and photos to give you a better sense of life in the trenches. Yes, it means you have to stop and read for a little bit, but the way it enriches the story makes it worth every second.
    I cannot say enough about this game, but I highly recommend it. You will come away with a better understanding of not only this often-overlooked war, but warfare in general, and I believe you will enjoy it.
  17. Jul 8, 2015
    An incredible piece of art. Emotional gaming at its best. A bit on the easy side, but enjoyable overall. Ubisoft must give us a sequel. One of 2014's best.
  18. Jul 1, 2014
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a very interesting concept for a game. A puzzle Adventure set in the midst of World War One. While there are parts of this game that do a good job and reminding us of the price the conflict had on everyone, it's too often sandwiched between an overly cartoonish representation of war, obtuse puzzle design, and action segments that would make even Call ofValiant Hearts: The Great War is a very interesting concept for a game. A puzzle Adventure set in the midst of World War One. While there are parts of this game that do a good job and reminding us of the price the conflict had on everyone, it's too often sandwiched between an overly cartoonish representation of war, obtuse puzzle design, and action segments that would make even Call of Duty players scratch their heads at the lack of realism. I can only recommend this if you're a history buff or a fan of old adventure games. Expand
  19. Jul 7, 2014
    Unbelieveable game! Took my breath away. This Ubisoft took history and video games, a told an amazing story about the hardships during World War 1 in Europe. The characters, the soundtrack, gameplay, etc., were all amazing. This game will really hit home for some people, so expect sadness at some points. Beautiful, beautiful game; that must be played for people with a heart. These indieUnbelieveable game! Took my breath away. This Ubisoft took history and video games, a told an amazing story about the hardships during World War 1 in Europe. The characters, the soundtrack, gameplay, etc., were all amazing. This game will really hit home for some people, so expect sadness at some points. Beautiful, beautiful game; that must be played for people with a heart. These indie games are really starting to make an impact in the industry of video games. A must play for only 15 bucks! Expand
  20. Mar 8, 2015
    Not for everyone, yet I felt this game was made just for me. A story that gave so much emotion, which is rare. Shadow of Colossus and The last of us are the only games I feel can compete with that. Art is beautiful. I despised history class, yet this game gives interesting facts that make you realize WW1 had more than death and treaties signed. Great stuff. Free on PS Plus, but if INot for everyone, yet I felt this game was made just for me. A story that gave so much emotion, which is rare. Shadow of Colossus and The last of us are the only games I feel can compete with that. Art is beautiful. I despised history class, yet this game gives interesting facts that make you realize WW1 had more than death and treaties signed. Great stuff. Free on PS Plus, but if I knew it was this good I woudl have paid full price. Expand
  21. Jul 24, 2016
    I got this for free (PS PLUS) and it's really a great experience i hope i paid for it when it first came out. It was emotional and exciting experience despite the easy puzzles it's still a great game. Thanks for the game.
  22. Sep 13, 2016
    A game that tells the story of war without having you firing a single bullet.

A touching narrative told with some really simple but effective mechanics on a canvas that looks like it came straight out of a french comic book.

The heart and charm this title presents is endearing.
  23. Jun 7, 2015
    First World War is not covered in games as much as WWII, so this is a really nice trip back 100 years back into the heat of the war through great story told by both, beautiful hand-drawn visuals in game and real life photos with descriptions and items from that era. The game does a really good job in describing and showing you how life during that time was like on the front-line. This isFirst World War is not covered in games as much as WWII, so this is a really nice trip back 100 years back into the heat of the war through great story told by both, beautiful hand-drawn visuals in game and real life photos with descriptions and items from that era. The game does a really good job in describing and showing you how life during that time was like on the front-line. This is one of those games that sticks in your mind and makes you care and interested. Also, the piano score in this game really helps to set the mood perfectly, the atmosphere is great. I didn't expect much, got it on PS+ for free, so I just tried it out and I was very positively surprised. Ubisoft should really focus more on interesting and unique games like this rather than milking their mainstream franchises to death. 8/10 Expand
  24. Mar 28, 2015
    It's difficult to find a flaw with Valiant Hearts: The Great War. Featuring beautiful environments and an engaging story, the game never failed to wow me. Yes, there are some rather uninspiring levels included (such as the boss fights) but overall this game is very well polished. The puzzles are challenging but satisfying when completed. It's a good game but the main problem is it barelyIt's difficult to find a flaw with Valiant Hearts: The Great War. Featuring beautiful environments and an engaging story, the game never failed to wow me. Yes, there are some rather uninspiring levels included (such as the boss fights) but overall this game is very well polished. The puzzles are challenging but satisfying when completed. It's a good game but the main problem is it barely offers any replay value. I want to give this game a 10 but there's something inside me telling me not to. I don't know what it is! Expand
  25. May 12, 2015
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War was a great game that had some high emotional moments throughout, this is was a free pick up on PS Plus and it was worth it.

As a platformer, VH has many interesting and unique puzzles throughout each level, and some proved to be quite challenging, with interesting aspects to it like having to use your dog companion to get through certain areas. It was fun to be able to change between characters and experiment with using them to complete certain tasks. Surprisingly, for a game centered on war Valiant Hearts features little combat and the characters you control almost never use any sort of gun and use violence only in minimum circumstance, and even without the use of much violent acts the mechanics were fun and more focused on puzzle solving not combat.

The visuals in this game are very unique, and nicely done. Ubiart is producing some great interesting art direction with some of their games like in Child of light. This game looks as if you are going through a drawing book and it fits well. Sound design is great and really added to the feel the game was trying to give off, there were times where i would just sit at the menu screen to hear the music being played.

The Story itself is pretty good and will keep you interested with some heartfelt moments, but what is the best about the story is the atmosphere that it evokes, as you really get a feel for how war truly plays out, with scenes depicting cruel, quick deaths to your comrades and the ones you love. It truly sets the mood and gives you some really touching moments throughout.

Valiant Hearts is a great atmospheric tale through WWI and with unique art direction, fun puzzle like gameplay, collectibles to find, and an evoking world with some good emotional moments, it was well worth my time.
  26. Nov 6, 2015
    Another game heavily focused on story telling, and it does its job well. The artstyle is beautiful, finding collectibles feels rewarding, the story itself is sad and memorable. Nice addition to have to your library.
  27. May 9, 2016
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War se suma al top de grandes aventuras gráficas de los videojuegos, en mi caso, en el primer juego. Una gran historia mezclada con puzzles y desafios que combinan a la perfección. Sin duda es uno de los juegos que hay que jugar al completo. Pocos juegos han conseguido emocionarme y Valiant Hearts lo ha hecho.
  28. Jun 29, 2014
    sweet art style very great story love reading about all the facts and learning about WW1 from the point of view of the trenches parts were probably the only part i didn't like
  29. Nov 9, 2015
    If you like puzzles, story, history, and classic animation, Valiant Hearts: The Great War is the game for you. In a refreshing turn that I'm sure many will find odd, Valiant Hearts is a war game with very little fighting. Now and then you can clonk a German soldier or fire a cannon, but mostly, you sneak around solving puzzles and rescuing people. This human side of the war is compelling,If you like puzzles, story, history, and classic animation, Valiant Hearts: The Great War is the game for you. In a refreshing turn that I'm sure many will find odd, Valiant Hearts is a war game with very little fighting. Now and then you can clonk a German soldier or fire a cannon, but mostly, you sneak around solving puzzles and rescuing people. This human side of the war is compelling, and even if you despise the puzzles, the characters' stories will compel you to play until completion.

The puzzles themselves are fairly simple. They mostly involve figuring out which lever to pull and how best to use your helper dog. Some puzzles seem rather contrived for the World War I era story. Some puzzles use a sometimes frustrating grenade throw mechanic. Some puzzles are simply pressing buttons at the right time, such as in the rather clever musical driving segments. Mostly though, the puzzles are well though out and quick to ascertain without the in-game hints.

The setting and story are properly grim. The last few missions in particular are a grind, with death and restarts frequent. This is, I believe, a design choice. What better way to show the horror and futility of battle than horrifically difficult and almost futile gameplay. The compelling story drives me on, and in the end, the character's actions are understandable because, well, the game drove me the player to take that same action, make that same choice. As far as puzzlers go, this isn't a "Where's My Water" or "Cut the Rope".

All in all this game is excellent. For a puzzler, the adventure is meaty. With cut scenes, narration, an in game sort of wikipedia about World War I, and some clever use of split screen, this game is a treat to experience. Highly recommend.
  30. Jul 8, 2014
    This is why I play video games. This game... right here. Forget the gore, violence and sex and all that other jazz that gets pumped into games. This game boils down to something pure and honorable. Something that connects with anyone who has a shred of compassion for a fellow human being. The musical score and characters and the terrible situation (WWI) they find themselves in draw youThis is why I play video games. This game... right here. Forget the gore, violence and sex and all that other jazz that gets pumped into games. This game boils down to something pure and honorable. Something that connects with anyone who has a shred of compassion for a fellow human being. The musical score and characters and the terrible situation (WWI) they find themselves in draw you instantly. Then you stay, through the puzzles and the mud, anger and tears, because you want each character to be happy. But war isn't a happy place and the game reminds you of this. "War makes men mad". This is a MUST BUY. The only reason that it doesn't get a 10 is because I'm selfish and it I wish they had a few more levels. Expand

1. Aug 28, 2014
    While it can be completed in less than six hours, it perfectly explores themes and concepts that triple-A titles still have difficulty grasping: gray morality, a poignant, thought-provoking storyline, and appealing gameplay that isn't based on killing everything in sight.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Aug 25, 2014
    Very pretty, but pretty shallow. Unchallenging – both emotionally and as a puzzle-platformer. [September 2014, p71]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 25, 2014
    A short and simple adventure game with strong atmosphere delivered via an unique visual style. If you're looking for something different, this is it. [Issue#244]