8.4

1. Jun 27, 2014
    Unbelievable. Emotional, moving, intimate. Beautiful. This is what is taking gaming from a child's activity to the most powerful medium available for storytelling. Simple story based on a truly horrific event. Easy to identify with, lovable characters, and an interface so friendly this is accessible to gamers of all skill level.

This is a MUST play for all of those passionate gamers

This is a MUST play for all of those passionate gamers who need more to a game than a reticle with some explosions. The best advice I can give is to stop reading about this game and go buy it now. A beautifully rendered, inspiring journey is only $15 away. Show Ubiart that we NEED more of this in our lives!
  2. Mar 23, 2015
    Valiant Hearts is a 2-D side scroller that incorporates gameplay in the fashion of puzzle solving to progress through a very well told story set in World War I. The story is told in comic book style with no animations for their cutscenes. The narration is very well done, and the music selection with contemporary pieces is beautiful. It took me about four hours to play, however, that tookValiant Hearts is a 2-D side scroller that incorporates gameplay in the fashion of puzzle solving to progress through a very well told story set in World War I. The story is told in comic book style with no animations for their cutscenes. The narration is very well done, and the music selection with contemporary pieces is beautiful. It took me about four hours to play, however, that took about a week's worth to get through as I found myself only playing in 15 to 30 minutes spurts. Perhaps because the mind can only go for so long solving puzzles before it needs to move on to something else. The developers did try to interrupt these puzzles with different type of game mechanics, such as those found in classic arcades like "Space Invaders" and "Dig Dug", as well as newer game mechanics like "Angry Birds" and "Guitar Hero". However, I think these mechanics didn't work very well in this game as they did in those games that I mentioned above. If you don't like history or education, you may not appreciate all the items you find to unlock the history of World War I and the reading that goes along with them; which I actually loved. It gave me a good sense of understanding World War I's history much better and the people who lived and fought during that time. It made me care about these characters in the story. Excellent overall story presentation and puzzle solving, however this game may not be to some likings as it game length and reading requirment. Expand
  3. Sep 16, 2015
    Despite my burning distaste for Ubisoft, I quite enjoyed this game. I'm echoing the herd at this point, but it was simplistically delivered, and emotionally touching. It manages to humanize rather than villainize soldiers in the unique setting of WWI. This is definitely not for the twitchy types or adrenaline junkies, it's slow paced and easy going, but in the end it hits you right inDespite my burning distaste for Ubisoft, I quite enjoyed this game. I'm echoing the herd at this point, but it was simplistically delivered, and emotionally touching. It manages to humanize rather than villainize soldiers in the unique setting of WWI. This is definitely not for the twitchy types or adrenaline junkies, it's slow paced and easy going, but in the end it hits you right in the feels. Expand
  4. Apr 23, 2015
    This is probably one of the best puzzle adventures ever made. It's beautiful and touching with a lot of interesting facts that help you immerse in the story (and learn something along the way) . Well made in every aspect.

Probably the only downside is that puzzles tend to become repetitive towards the last hour of gameplay.
  5. Sep 4, 2015
    Valiant Hearts is a 2D sidescrolling puzzle game that tells a great story during the events of WWI. While its not an action game which one might expect for a game set in a war but it does get a nice balance and pace for the gameplay and story.

Pluses: + Excellent Art. Ubisoft really nailed it with the Aesthetics of this game. Fantastic animation and art with great colours really set

Pluses:
    + Excellent Art. Ubisoft really nailed it with the Aesthetics of this game. Fantastic animation and art with great colours really set the tone of this game

+Nice story with interesting characters. Great story set across multiple characters and how them come together. Its great to see a game set in WWI as you dont get many of them.

Negatives:
    -Not a whole lot of gameplay variety. Being set in WWI you would think it would have more action scenes but it settles with a puzzle/hidden object type of game with one of two scenes being a dodging driving scene.

Overall its not a bad game but it probably wont excite those who expect it to be an action games set in WWI. I certainly enjoyed it and would recommend it to those who enjoy this type of game.
  6. May 12, 2015
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War was a great game that had some high emotional moments throughout, this is was a free pick up on PS Plus and it was worth it.

As a platformer, VH has many interesting and unique puzzles throughout each level, and some proved to be quite challenging, with interesting aspects to it like having to use your dog companion to get through certain areas. It was fun to be able to change between characters and experiment with using them to complete certain tasks. Surprisingly, for a game centered on war Valiant Hearts features little combat and the characters you control almost never use any sort of gun and use violence only in minimum circumstance, and even without the use of much violent acts the mechanics were fun and more focused on puzzle solving not combat.

The visuals in this game are very unique, and nicely done. Ubiart is producing some great interesting art direction with some of their games like in Child of light. This game looks as if you are going through a drawing book and it fits well. Sound design is great and really added to the feel the game was trying to give off, there were times where i would just sit at the menu screen to hear the music being played.

The Story itself is pretty good and will keep you interested with some heartfelt moments, but what is the best about the story is the atmosphere that it evokes, as you really get a feel for how war truly plays out, with scenes depicting cruel, quick deaths to your comrades and the ones you love. It truly sets the mood and gives you some really touching moments throughout.

Valiant Hearts is a great atmospheric tale through WWI and with unique art direction, fun puzzle like gameplay, collectibles to find, and an evoking world with some good emotional moments, it was well worth my time.
  7. Mar 19, 2015
    Good plot, great storytelling, but poor gameplay. This is a simple puzzle game that exploits greatly an historical setting to build up a solid novel. I think of it as a nice interactive movie instead as a boring adventure videogame.
    If you can go beyond the faults of its gameplay and appreciate its emotional impact above all, then you'll surely enjoy it.
  8. Jan 9, 2015
    I loved this game. The puzzles were entertaining. The world beautifully designed. It had enough background information to keep you informed if you so choose. It didnt pop up in your face breaking the pace of the game. I also admired how they included all aspects of the war, and covered all the groups involved. Well done for being culturally inclusive and truthful.

A few bugs where the

A few bugs where the character got stuck and forced me to restart the section, and the ladders were for some reason very annoying for me (couldn't walk past them without going up or down).

Those minor issues aside, they didn't stop me from enjoying a great game which was a nice break from the usual mindless killing of other games. (Yes its a game on WW1, but the focus isn't really on your character being violent). And a pleasant plus, was the game was long enough to enjoy without it being cut short by an abrupt ending,

Overall, great game and worth checking out if your up for a side view puzzle game set in a beautifully designed world.
  9. Jun 30, 2015
    The game's story is touching and beautiful, but I have a problem with the gameplay. The gameplay is very boring even for a 2D game. All you need to do is go from place A to B. Sometimes you have to search stuff in the world and go back and forth, back and forth with ultimately slow speed, since the characters move quite slow. And the constant mumbling of a certain character was incrediblyThe game's story is touching and beautiful, but I have a problem with the gameplay. The gameplay is very boring even for a 2D game. All you need to do is go from place A to B. Sometimes you have to search stuff in the world and go back and forth, back and forth with ultimately slow speed, since the characters move quite slow. And the constant mumbling of a certain character was incredibly annoying over time.

Points for the story, many minus points for the gameplay.
  10. Feb 20, 2015
    If your looking for a deep puzzler, or a robust platform game, this isn't it.

If your looking for a deep puzzler, or a robust platform game, this isn't it.

What Valiant Hearts is, and I believe aimed to be, is an enlightening (in that the devs have crammed loads of real great war facts within the game), charming and enjoyable story, told in the format of a game. It's so full of emotionally charged and beautiful constructed elegant story, that the simplistic puzzles and ease of completion won't even cross your mind as you go from character to character.

I really loved this game. It's been really well thought out, drawn in a unique comic style and made as a game you can sit down and play through smiling throughout. Brilliant, recommend to all
  11. Apr 13, 2015
    Overall 6/10. Music was the best aspect of this extremely linear, short-lived, novel. Too much reading, consisting of the 100+ collectible items, historical facts, and journal entries. The ending was great, but the overall performance of this OK game was just that: OK. Walking from point A to B to C etc. while button mashing the X button to hopefully find any hidden collectible. ButtonOverall 6/10. Music was the best aspect of this extremely linear, short-lived, novel. Too much reading, consisting of the 100+ collectible items, historical facts, and journal entries. The ending was great, but the overall performance of this OK game was just that: OK. Walking from point A to B to C etc. while button mashing the X button to hopefully find any hidden collectible. Button mashing by the dog and you per the dog, every 1 to 2 seconds. I will never play again, and I hope Ubi actually makes better games from now on, than this and ASSASSin's Creed Expand
  12. Mar 14, 2016
    Beautiful style and beautiful story. The narration in this game is fantastic. Great to see Ubisoft recognising the popularity of indie games and giving the time and funding to a project such as this.
  13. Jan 8, 2016
    This game has an excellent, really moving, captivating story. The setting, music, graphics etc. are great. Game play wise, it is a bit like the old point and click adventures but a lot simpler, which is not necessarily bad. I also loved all the real historical data, why not learning a bit while playing? Not only that, reading those historical facts and the horrors of the war made meThis game has an excellent, really moving, captivating story. The setting, music, graphics etc. are great. Game play wise, it is a bit like the old point and click adventures but a lot simpler, which is not necessarily bad. I also loved all the real historical data, why not learning a bit while playing? Not only that, reading those historical facts and the horrors of the war made me experience the story in a much more intense way (emotionally speaking). Like a good story and point and click adventures (much simpler that the old ones)? Give this one a try. Expand
  14. Jul 1, 2014
    Valiant Hearts is a beautiful game that shows you what few other war games ever will: War is not fun. There very little besides pain and despair for those involved. This portrays this wonderfully, but still manages to wrap all of it around a very touching story.
    The gameplay is unremarkable but works well, but much like the Walking Dead or the Wolf Among Us, you won't be coming back to it for the gameplay. Instead, you'll be emotionally caught up in the characters and the world around them.
    I also greatly appreciated Ubisoft's effort to keep the game as historically accurate as possible. At the start of every new scene, you are (optionally) bombarded with historical facts and photos to give you a better sense of life in the trenches. Yes, it means you have to stop and read for a little bit, but the way it enriches the story makes it worth every second.
    I cannot say enough about this game, but I highly recommend it. You will come away with a better understanding of not only this often-overlooked war, but warfare in general, and I believe you will enjoy it.
  15. Aug 24, 2014
    Moving and intimate. These are just two words to describe this game. Ubisoft have shown the true horrors of war with grace and truthfulness, yet with respect. All should play this game just to get an idea of what it would been like for all those brave men and woman.
  16. Jun 25, 2014
    Отличная игра, повествует о событиях Первой мировой от лица простых французских солдат.
    Все уже пошутили про её стартовую цену, так что я воздержусь.
  17. Mar 9, 2015
    This is something hands down amazing. Valiant Hearts goes deep in that of WW1 a very touchy subject as neither side could be described as good or evil like many can with WW2, so instead the game goes into the lives of soldiers and show/tells us the ways how war is Hell. We got 4 characters here Emile a French Soldiers, Freddie a US citizen joining French forces, Anna a medic who only aimsThis is something hands down amazing. Valiant Hearts goes deep in that of WW1 a very touchy subject as neither side could be described as good or evil like many can with WW2, so instead the game goes into the lives of soldiers and show/tells us the ways how war is Hell. We got 4 characters here Emile a French Soldiers, Freddie a US citizen joining French forces, Anna a medic who only aims to make sure people survive this Hell, and Karl Emile's step son who was forced out of France and made into a German Soldier. However Emile in this is the main main character, the game mostly centers around each one of these character's personal goals and endeavors making the war something of an obstacle for each of them to get around. Gameplay wise is it is a simple 2D platforming/puzzle solving adventure usually you have to progress past something by finding an item to use to progress past something, simply put if you don't like being paced and stopping to think stay away from this game. Even with that said it's something to see with the ending being pure beauty (not going to spoil anything) as we drag our character witnessing horrifying (yet stylish) cartoonish locations that make it so when the heavy emotional stuff has a greater impact than any serious war game that has come up in the past. With all this considered there is a certain demographic that is specifically targeted here and that is people interested in story, if you don't have a lot of time on your hands, or are looking for game to have actual fun in then I have to tell you to stay far away from this game as possible, it has a heavy atmosphere that doesn't let up putting the weight war on your character who you can't help but want to come out of this, this game is also very educational too somethings are simple and in fact you could learn some new things which is pretty neat. But anyway this is a very emotional pain train of a game and will play with your emotions like nothing. I would give this game a score between 8-9 but I decide to give this a 10 to somewhat raise the score a bit. Expand
  18. Jun 24, 2014
    Finally there is a war game which is not to gun blaze every one all the time. Valiant Hearts: The Great War has a interesting, touching and meaningful story line. Gameplay is quite good. The puzzle solving is great. It even creates more intense moment than other ordinary action adventure game. It is probably the best game Ubisoft has made this year. It is very cheap and you should pick itFinally there is a war game which is not to gun blaze every one all the time. Valiant Hearts: The Great War has a interesting, touching and meaningful story line. Gameplay is quite good. The puzzle solving is great. It even creates more intense moment than other ordinary action adventure game. It is probably the best game Ubisoft has made this year. It is very cheap and you should pick it up. 1 marks extra is given to all the emotional and beautiful trailers of this game. Expand
  19. Jul 7, 2014
    Unbelieveable game! Took my breath away. This Ubisoft took history and video games, a told an amazing story about the hardships during World War 1 in Europe. The characters, the soundtrack, gameplay, etc., were all amazing. This game will really hit home for some people, so expect sadness at some points. Beautiful, beautiful game; that must be played for people with a heart. These indieUnbelieveable game! Took my breath away. This Ubisoft took history and video games, a told an amazing story about the hardships during World War 1 in Europe. The characters, the soundtrack, gameplay, etc., were all amazing. This game will really hit home for some people, so expect sadness at some points. Beautiful, beautiful game; that must be played for people with a heart. These indie games are really starting to make an impact in the industry of video games. A must play for only 15 bucks! Expand
  20. Jun 28, 2014
    Amazing game which compelled me to write my first review, ubisoft are fast becoming my developers of choice. Love the art style it's beautiful and shows that current gen photo realism is not always best. pick this up you won't be disappointed. By the way ignore the 0 scores they are a joke, they must have been playing an atari 2600 game or something.
  21. Jul 6, 2014
    Valiant Hearts:The Great War is a game that both inspires and encourages hope in a bleak and desolate WW1 era Europe. The puzzles were fleshed together in a way that made sense both in game and in context, you aren't superman, you are a soldier. You need to use your mind to get through situations. Decisions need to be made in seconds if you wish too keep those you love alive. The gameValiant Hearts:The Great War is a game that both inspires and encourages hope in a bleak and desolate WW1 era Europe. The puzzles were fleshed together in a way that made sense both in game and in context, you aren't superman, you are a soldier. You need to use your mind to get through situations. Decisions need to be made in seconds if you wish too keep those you love alive. The game brings a incredible amount of emotion into a time that is tragically overlooked. It puts you in the position of normal, regular day people, made to fight in one of histories most atrocious wars. Death and sorrow become commonplace in the trenches of Valiant Hearts, and the fantastic sound and art design create a atmosphere which makes you feel so vulnerable, so out in the open, that it made me shiver any time I would see a fellow soldier fall to just one of thousands of hazards that plagued the battlefield. While experiencing the levels, you will find a dynamic backdrop that shows the plight of your brothers, those who are simply following orders. The "boss battles" if you will are excellent and well paced as they make you lose that sense of security of abiding by your own rules and throw you into situations filled with panic and paranoia. The fight with the Baron in the bunker stands out as incredibly tense and filled with emotions that compel you to prevail in order to save those you hold so dearly . The story complements the game play in a way that few games, excluding Journey and Brothers: A tale of Two Sons, have managed to accomplish. It creates a bond not between you and the characters, but the characters themselves. Never once while playing did I feel that I was playing a game, I felt like I was there with the assortment of character that we encounter in this journey. The ending itself suits the game perfectly and not to spoil anything, it did leave a hole in my heart. All in all, this game is another fantastic example of the rebirth in story-driven games that has come to fruition in these past 2 years. If you have 15 dollars on hand, you owe it to yourself to get a copy of Valiant Hearts: The Great War. Expand
  22. Jun 27, 2014
    This is one of the games that got me more sentimnetaly attached to it you should play it.I think this game is worth every penny spent on it and also i cried several tims trough the story.
  23. Jul 2, 2014
    Stunning visuals and incredible story, at no point was I left disappointed. A variety of gameplay mechanics make the game feel fresh and surprising from start to finish , If you're used to more difficult puzzles like in Machinarium then you might be disappointed, you won't have to search through a FAQ to get passed these puzzles but I don't think they are meant to stump you. The realStunning visuals and incredible story, at no point was I left disappointed. A variety of gameplay mechanics make the game feel fresh and surprising from start to finish , If you're used to more difficult puzzles like in Machinarium then you might be disappointed, you won't have to search through a FAQ to get passed these puzzles but I don't think they are meant to stump you. The real reward is in the story and visuals the gameplay and puzzles compliment it. this is war told honestly and I hope its success leads to more emotional stories from the frontline and not more superhero type one man army games (Although I don't want to see all of those go either) Expand
  24. Jul 1, 2014
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a very interesting concept for a game. A puzzle Adventure set in the midst of World War One. While there are parts of this game that do a good job and reminding us of the price the conflict had on everyone, it's too often sandwiched between an overly cartoonish representation of war, obtuse puzzle design, and action segments that would make even Call ofValiant Hearts: The Great War is a very interesting concept for a game. A puzzle Adventure set in the midst of World War One. While there are parts of this game that do a good job and reminding us of the price the conflict had on everyone, it's too often sandwiched between an overly cartoonish representation of war, obtuse puzzle design, and action segments that would make even Call of Duty players scratch their heads at the lack of realism. I can only recommend this if you're a history buff or a fan of old adventure games. Expand
  25. Mar 8, 2015
    Not for everyone, yet I felt this game was made just for me. A story that gave so much emotion, which is rare. Shadow of Colossus and The last of us are the only games I feel can compete with that. Art is beautiful. I despised history class, yet this game gives interesting facts that make you realize WW1 had more than death and treaties signed. Great stuff. Free on PS Plus, but if INot for everyone, yet I felt this game was made just for me. A story that gave so much emotion, which is rare. Shadow of Colossus and The last of us are the only games I feel can compete with that. Art is beautiful. I despised history class, yet this game gives interesting facts that make you realize WW1 had more than death and treaties signed. Great stuff. Free on PS Plus, but if I knew it was this good I woudl have paid full price. Expand
  26. Jul 8, 2014
    This is why I play video games. This game... right here. Forget the gore, violence and sex and all that other jazz that gets pumped into games. This game boils down to something pure and honorable. Something that connects with anyone who has a shred of compassion for a fellow human being. The musical score and characters and the terrible situation (WWI) they find themselves in draw youThis is why I play video games. This game... right here. Forget the gore, violence and sex and all that other jazz that gets pumped into games. This game boils down to something pure and honorable. Something that connects with anyone who has a shred of compassion for a fellow human being. The musical score and characters and the terrible situation (WWI) they find themselves in draw you instantly. Then you stay, through the puzzles and the mud, anger and tears, because you want each character to be happy. But war isn't a happy place and the game reminds you of this. "War makes men mad". This is a MUST BUY. The only reason that it doesn't get a 10 is because I'm selfish and it I wish they had a few more levels. Expand
  27. Jan 17, 2015
    Straight up one of the best game I ever played. It looks amazing but more importantly the story is really good. It's emotional and gets you right in to the story and WW 1. I had goosebumps and also tears in my eyes several times. The gameplay/puzzles are very nice even though some might get bored of it, as it gets a bit repetetive (I did have no problem with it). The music is exceptionalStraight up one of the best game I ever played. It looks amazing but more importantly the story is really good. It's emotional and gets you right in to the story and WW 1. I had goosebumps and also tears in my eyes several times. The gameplay/puzzles are very nice even though some might get bored of it, as it gets a bit repetetive (I did have no problem with it). The music is exceptional and fits perfectly to the game and it's moments.
    Play it until the end. It's worth your time and you will love it.
    I would love to see other developers make so beautiful and emotional games instead of concentrating on realistic graphics. But that's just my opinion.
  28. Aug 3, 2015
    I played this game thanks to the PS+ subscription but I'll be reviewing it like if i paid its full price as it is no longer free to download.

What a gem ! This not so indie game (a little budget but a very big experience inside the studio) is a unique, emotional journey inside the World War 1 (a conflict not often use in entertainment) you'll experience through the eyes of four characters the reality of the conflict and even it the game describes the harsh reality it is never too gruesome or depressive.

Now lets talk about the gameplay, contrary at what you would expect from a war game it is not a shooter, neither a RTS it's a puzzle game , although this is clearly not the main point of the game, the puzzles are good enough and use a few different kinds of mechanics, but I strongly recommend to deactivate the help on the puzzles they already easy enough.

Graphically the game is gorgeous thanks to the awesome UbiArt engine, at first I was sceptical about the use of this engine with a war game but I stand corrected, the handed drawn style it didn't bothered me at all and we still feel the tension.

Too bad it is too easy and a little short for the price (it took me a little more than 4 hours to finish the game with all the collectibles) but if you're looking for a strong story and want something different about war that the classic shooters, Valiant Hearts: The Great War is you're game and I truly hope there will be a sequel (maybe about World War 2 ?).
  29. Mar 26, 2015
    If this was trying to be the saving private ryan of video games, then this game has just hit a bomb outta the park. This puzzle adventure game has very simple puzzles, but suprisingly the characters and story kept me playing. The more I played, the more I leaned closer to the T.V not only because of the engaging story, but because of the fun/unique/intense/ and sometimes even wacky puzzlesIf this was trying to be the saving private ryan of video games, then this game has just hit a bomb outta the park. This puzzle adventure game has very simple puzzles, but suprisingly the characters and story kept me playing. The more I played, the more I leaned closer to the T.V not only because of the engaging story, but because of the fun/unique/intense/ and sometimes even wacky puzzles and action during the span of this game. The variety of this game kept things interesting, and how the game followed the four characters were excellent. I also loved the art-style of the game, the narration was very interesting, and the gameplay was very responsive. Having the collectibles also kept this game from being linear, which I enjoyed. The only negatives for me was the forced history lesson that pops up during the game (which I whole-heartedly ignored), and the recurring setup for puzzles (you have to finish puzzle A to get to Puzzle B to advance to the more interesting part of the story). And that ending, I legit almost cried, but held it together, it was that emotional. To end, I had a hard time deciding whether or not to give this one a 9 or 10, but settled on the latter since it's not a full priced triple a game, that everyone needs to experience. Expand
  30. Jun 26, 2014
    from the start to the end, this game is beautiful. it works well at all at which is does, from the story, to the way the puzzles are implemented. i wont speak of anything specific of what i liked or disliked as i would recommend you see it all for yourself. its good game. a really game. a refreshing one. and im more than happy i bought it. i wouldnt say its perfect, but it has a sweet spotfrom the start to the end, this game is beautiful. it works well at all at which is does, from the story, to the way the puzzles are implemented. i wont speak of anything specific of what i liked or disliked as i would recommend you see it all for yourself. its good game. a really game. a refreshing one. and im more than happy i bought it. i wouldnt say its perfect, but it has a sweet spot my heart! Expand

1. Aug 28, 2014
    While it can be completed in less than six hours, it perfectly explores themes and concepts that triple-A titles still have difficulty grasping: gray morality, a poignant, thought-provoking storyline, and appealing gameplay that isn't based on killing everything in sight.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Aug 25, 2014
    Very pretty, but pretty shallow. Unchallenging – both emotionally and as a puzzle-platformer. [September 2014, p71]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 25, 2014
    A short and simple adventure game with strong atmosphere delivered via an unique visual style. If you're looking for something different, this is it. [Issue#244]