5.9

1. Nov 25, 2014
    This is a terrible port of what could be a fun game, it just doesn't work on PS4.

The UI is the worst aspect of this by far: The size of text and buttons haven't been adapted and aren't appropriate for console resolutions, the tiny buttons make using the touch pad for navigation frustrating and good luck trying to figure out what's highlighted and what any particular button press will
    do. There is in general a complete lack of explanation as to what anything on the screen actually means.

The default control values (sensitivity etc.) are poor and leave you at a severe disadvantage until corrected; if only there was some kind of explanation as to how to do this or what any of the settings actually do. Once you do get your controls working, watch out for the bug that limits your ability to pull back on the stick to about 5%: get used to nose diving in to the ground.

The game is also cross platform, meaning you'll be playing with and against PC players. Just to help them out, you'll be tagged with an asterisk so they know to focus their attentions on an easier target. Seriously, PC players talk about this as a valid tactic.

This could easily be a 7/10 game if there had been any real thought in the PS4 port. As it stands though, it's just not worth the frustration.
  2. Nov 11, 2014
    This game will give you literally hours of game play for free. It is not even necessary to subscribe to Playstation Plus to play this game online. Tons of tanks and planes to choose from. many customization are available. Just for this game alone it is worth it to get PS4. This game is highly recommended
  3. Oct 5, 2014
    Just absolute garbage. There is no way this should be considered a finished game. Start with the atrocious UI, discover that tank combat is broken and virtually nonexistent, and then that literally NO ONE plays on realistic or simulator mode and you've got a formula for a guaranteed waste of time. Oh, and apparently there's no requirement that the times fly aircraft of the proper faction or even time period. After spending about 5 minutes flying into the actual fight in my I-153 Seagull only to be promptly shot down by an F-86 Sabre with Japanese markings (purposely this was in Stalingrad), I decided it was time to stop. Expand
  4. Aug 5, 2014
    Definitely worth a shot. Great for f2p however, I get the feeling I'm only playing it due to a lack of quality ps4 games. Graphics are good. Plane selection is amazing. Ultra steep learning curve. You will be at a distinct disadvantage for a long time as a beginner... especially if you don't drop a few (actual) dollars to upgrade your crew, boost your plane research, or buy a decent plane. It's GREAT to be able to use mouse + keyboard for a console.
    One thing hinders my enjoyment immensely - most rounds just don't feel fair. Most of my kills come from loading a plane with so much lead that it can't carry the weight anymore and it just sinks into the ground (while satisfying, it often takes just under a minute of chase and firing), yet when I get killed I am blown into several pieces in the air almost immediately by someone that never seemed to appear on my radar. I'm guessing since this is a cross-platform game, the PC users have some sort of advantage, because there's no way people that dispatch of my planes so quickly are experience the same herky-jerky aiming that I am with my mouse. Don't bother if you are going to try to use the dualshock 4... you will not compete. If you're like me and wondering why you even bought a ps4 at this point due to the lack of games, you probably won't be disappointed playing this one for a week or two.
  5. Jul 13, 2014
    this game got shot right out of the sky. this game is action packed of dog fights. plane v.s. plane plane and simple. the graphics could be better. other than that the game works great. fun to play and it's free so what do you expect. 8/10
  6. Jul 9, 2014
    Now if you have never played this game on the PC and would be starting from scratch anyways then this is a must play for anyone who likes flight sims and or combat.

But.... If you are already a long time PC player,
    The game will not let you link your existing account. That right their ruins the experience, after sinking countless hours grinding my way in this pay to win game with out
    spending money I now have to start from scratch. I can do without this game and if you have been playing it on PC you can too.

3 out of 10 if you already have a PC account

8 out of 10 if you have never played it before
  7. Jul 8, 2014
    Im enjoying this (free) game more than anything I've played since Borderlands 2 on my ps3. The feeling of the flight sim is excellent, and the graphics are very good. I've had no need to pay for anything yet and can't forsee the need to ever pay unless I want to go for the very top tier planes, but Im a fan of the early 1940s / Pacific campaign and I already have those.

The UI takes
    some time to figure out (dont all f2p games?) but once you make sense of it all (hang in there, you will figure it out) the game is just stupidly fun. Expand
  8. Jun 16, 2014
    What a fantastic game! War Thunder really caught me by surprised on how good it is. Not sure why this game is scoring low with some of you people, maybe the learning curve is too difficult? Pro's Realistic flight and damage models. Maps look great and are huge. 300+ planes. Deep upgrade system. Steep learning curve! Cross-plat play. Grinding is actually fun. Neg

Terrible UI.
    Sometimes can be a bit buggy.
    Not enough game mode types.
  9. Jun 14, 2014
    For me, this game is very especially interesting - impressive graphics, authentic sounds.
    It was created for playing between rare outputs AAA - titles.
    also It playing cool on ps vita
  10. Jun 12, 2014
    I think it is bad when I am playing a game and all I am thinking about is playing another. That is what was going on here. I spent the entire time thinking 'this was better on World of Tanks, or World of Warplanes. And when I thought that for like the 5th or 6th time I just closed War Thunder and went to play those.
  11. Jun 11, 2014
    Probably the most realistic flight-sim game available for the WW-II era, and free to play, so as a simulator it's pretty good. But as a game it kinda stinks, since game-play is totally repetitive (go into battle; shoot things down; get shot down; repeat; see the same map; use the same planes; repeat again; get bored; repeat again again) and since imbalances in favor of certain nations / airplanes are never addressed by the developers. The community of players is rapidly learning to shut up about the game's weaknesses, because negative feedback leads to immediately falsified records which support bans or similar control-the-community measures. Try to submit a bug report? Get banned! Ask in public why you got banned? Get banned again!

Wait? What about money? Can they ban you if you paid something? Yes. See, War Thunder claims to be in perpetual Beta, but it'll take your money! And then change the game so that the cool new plane you just bought is no longer half as effective. Pay at your own risk ... a funny but futile attempt by members of a rather non-market-oriented culture to create "market friendly" goods, by DEMANDING that the market be SUPPLIED with their product. See, supply-and-demand? Right ... you silly Russkies, that's NOT how it's supposed to work!

I think it could be a great game because it has such a great simulator-engine running behind all the airplanes. But because the people making the simulator don't know how to make a decent game, the only thing they've got is an excellent simulator masquerading as an annoying game that will slowly die because of their dreadfully abusive attitude toward their player-base. Pay money? Get banned! Oops ...
  12. Jun 11, 2014
    Great game. Amazing graphics, incredible flight mechanics, huge maps, a lot of planes. I have played for 50 hours without paying for anything and it's great. However premium players can be annoing sometimes. If you want to unlock better/best planes you will have to pay. It takes so so so long to unlock anything better than only good.
  13. Jun 6, 2014
    for a F2P game, this is one of the best out there. comparable graphics to a AA game, intuitive easy to pick up controls, and above all, amazing gameplay. the aircraft and tanks feel real and for the most part, respond well to your directions. for such a small development team, they a re constantly fixing things and releasing updates to continue improving the game. if you love WW2 combat with vehicles, this is the game for you Expand
  14. Jun 6, 2014
    I don't think words can describe how this game is amazing even in beta stage, I must say. I just love how it feels, controls are amazing. On graphics side, game is simply beautiful and breath taking. I want to suggest this masterpiece to everyone that loves to be a tanker and a pilot. And soon an admiral?
  15. Jun 5, 2014
    2nd 0 rating ever all because the game doesn't work.

first off, you have a 90% chance of the game not letting you log in because it will claim you do not have a connection. if this was the only major problem though it wouldn't be SO bad.

the biggest issue is, even when you do get to play, the game doesn't let you fly. you cannot Pull up. simply put the controls are broken. no matter
    how you set them you can't pull up or go down. you basically can only fly straight.

but that is ok right? because you can customize controls right? NOPE. the game will CRASH the minute you try changing controls. I have tried multiple times.

completely avoid this game. it just doesn't work.

now, thankfully, I had a EU account when the game launched so I can actually review what the game is like when it works.

It's kinda boring. basically take the mediocre world of tanks game and make it with planes. there you go. the controls were still annoying but not unplayable like it is now. the game gets really stupid as you level up since other players can have higher tech planes than you or more unlocks. this wouldn't be so bad but there is no respawns.

games were determined within 2 minutes of starting. if you have 1 bad player you are at a SEVERE disadvantage.

the battle damage is probably the only good part about the game, it's cool that you can take damage and your plane will function but be worse off. but this has been done way back in the 90's with combat flight simulator, it's nothing new and it's actually worse in this game than back then.

overall, when the game worked 3/10 but since the game is unplayable now 0/10 2nd time I ever rated something so low (first was the broken sim city game!) so that should give you an idea how serious I am about this junk game.

hopefully sony removes it from the playstation store or force them to fix it to be at least playable.
  16. May 19, 2014
    War Thunder, I've been around since before patch 1,25 and I came to learn more people (Alpha testers, Mods, devs, Gaming masters, users, historical consultants etc.) than most people in the game. Initially when I stumbled across War Thunder I instantly fell in love the with idea of an all-out combat 'simulator' and as such I signed up and was surprised by the small user base. I learnt why it had such a small user base really quickly; Gaijin's inability to tackle problems and find solutions in a sensible amount of time.
    Where should I start? Let me do it at with the current existing game modes (Patch 1,41), currently there are 3 game modes; Arcade Battles (AB), Realistic Battles (AB) and Simulator Battles (SB). Tanks have gone into OBT and now all are free to play them, however currently tanks are separated from planes (Why? In the CBT you could play both tanks and planes together) however both tanks and planes have the same type of game modes.
    Let me start with the positive sides of War Thunder, nice graphics (For both planes and tanks), detailed tank/plane models, mostly accurate tank/plane models, some real life based settings and the massively improved Custom Battles. However right here is where I have to stop, there are just too many negatives that plague this game as of late. Currently the Battle Rating (BR) system (The MatchMacker uses the BR to fill games) is completely messed up, a Meteor F3 has a BR of 6,7 whilst it's German counter-part the Me262 has to enjoy fighting Korean era Sabres. You can see this across all the tech trees of all nations, e.g. the F4U Corsair (Late war plane) is rated at a BR of 3,3 and it enjoys fighting early war planes, am I the only one that finds this ridiculously stupid? Then there are other things such as repair prices of planes (My God take a look at the N1K2 for Japan and it's BR whilst it's US adversarie the F6F enjoys a low repair cost and low BR) as well as the damage output of all cannons of all planes/jets. Things like these, the fundamental of the game are broken, they broke it with this patch, previously it worked half fine however now it's simply broken which is just sad considering how much time I invested into the game.
    Now there is another glaringly obvious problem (Not the rotten community) but the corrupted, underage and childish moderation team. One might ask, well how do you know that they are corrupted? Can you show us evidence of this? Go and ask some of the older players that stopped playing the game (Guys from A01 for example) and they can tell you all about the lovely PayPal payments that some moderators received (There are even YouTubes videos about it). The Mods and GMs ban based on the players they dislike that is always fun is it not?!

So how do we conclude? Well it's rather simple, don't touch the game until its major fundamental flaws have been ironed out and the moderation team has been subbed out for a more mature one.
  17. May 16, 2014
    So if you check the 10/10 reviews on here. they are all one review of Warthunder with a 10 score. Looks like the dishonest communist pigs that made this game are into metacritic fraud too. This game sucks unless you like unrealistic russian planes that outperform everything all the time
  18. May 11, 2014
    Pretty boring. You have to fly like 2 minutess to get in battle then 30 seconds to find another enemy and chase him for 2 mins until 60 th hit brings him down.
  19. May 6, 2014
    War Thunder was a decent game to play when I started during the 1.31 patch, since then it has gotten progressively worse with every patch.
    Unbalanced game play, bad flight models and needless grinding plague this game at all levels, even being a free to play game I would advise against playing it, your valuable time would be best spent on other games.
    With over 400 hours of playing War
    Thunder I now sincerely regret having started it in the first place.
    Gaijin, the company that produces the game and its employees have no respect for their players and seem to be clueless as to what they want or how to implement it, with every patch it seems as though they take 1 step forward and 2 steps back.
    The only positive thing I can say is that on max settings the planes look pretty.
    I had high hopes for both Gaijin and their War Thunder game but they kept letting me down until I have now at this point lost all trust in either of them.
    I am no longer a War Thunder player and I'm a happier person for it.
  20. May 3, 2014
    Incredible flight mechanics. Immersive multiplayer game play. I just keep coming back to this after months, and is the current PS4 game that is attracting all of my attention.
  21. Apr 14, 2014
    Gaijin have done it again i loved their il-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey. I doubted they could create another great game on a F2P title but they did well with easy controls, Simple Research tree and amazing visuals.
    It does how ever fail in the simulator battles as no one seems to play them and i have spent 20 minutes waiting for 1 match.
  22. Mar 3, 2014
    Don't listen to those saying there is too many microtransactions. I've already unlocked 4 planes and 3 more countries from playing just 4 hours! The only downside I can see is that it needs some polishing graphics-wise, and the menu's need sorting for proper DS4 navigation.

The gameplay is fantastic - yes no auto-aim so truly core experience. Would recommend to anyone looking for
    something fresh (and it's free!). Expand
  23. Feb 27, 2014
    This game is amazing. I haven't spent a dime and I still love flying the planes. I will admit its a grind. But regardless, unlocking new planes and playing online is a blast. The game feels very realistic and I love it. You literally have nothing to lose by trying this game. I've played at least 4 hours already and I know I'll play many more. Truly awesome
  24. Feb 24, 2014
    Кого может затянуть данная игра ? Не меня. Почему ? Да потому что тут все строится на донате. Отличная графика, физика, неплохая ветка развития. Но. Одно большое Но - кроме аркадных боев, в остальные режимы вы играть не будете. Нет, не потому что там сложно, нет упреждения огня и прочее. Просто потому, что это ужасно скучно. Единственный годный режим - аркадные бои : быстрые, насыщенные, вполне и вполне годные, но опять же - все это упирается в донат. Не хотите качаться с месяц до 4 ранга самолетов ? Нет проблем, можете купить деньги(орлы) за реал. валюту. Что ? А как же опыт, его ведь не купишь ! А вот и нет, опыт вы тоже можете купить, проще говоря, вы можете зайти в эту игру, закинуть 2-3к рублей, и вуаля, вы уже на 3-4 ранге самолетов. Ну, а если вы все же честный игрок, который часами просиживал и набивал очки исследований и деньги, вкачивал новые пушки и обработку фюзеляжа в своего крылатого друга, не удивляйтесь, если вас с двух выстрелов убьет самолет врага за донат. Все, что есть в этой игре хорошего, абсолютно все, перекрывается донатом. Ну, а так, годная игра, для тех, кому хочется посрывать нервы. Спасибо. Expand
  25. Feb 24, 2014
    Pay to win title. HUGE grind that makes the World of Warplanes grind look like a sunday stroll. The companys response to criticism is forum bans, post deletions and other douchebaggery. Oh and when they turn the economy on its head like in patch 1.37, no refunds, no customer satisfaction. They don't listen to the community, just the ch-ching of money.
  26. iXF
    Feb 22, 2014
    Совершенно не работает никакой кроссплеи с PC. Не возможно пользоваться старым аккаунтом на PS4, а с новосозданного на PS4 нельзя зайти в PC версию. В меню провалы fps. Само по себе меню игры не адаптированно под геймпад.
  27. Feb 15, 2014
    Dont you have money??
    Are you want play good video games with '0' usd so this game is best for you!!!

In this game the best f2p for flight games.Better than world of warplanes.
    But translating is not good for turk player.
    I have never seen worst translating like this.

But ı give 8 point to this game :)
  28. Feb 14, 2014
    You will need years of your life and hundreds (perhaps thousands) of dollars to reach jets in all countries. Money sink scam, and a visit to the official forum shows they address this with lots of account bans.
  29. Jan 12, 2014
    War Thunder - best combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armored vehicles, and fleets. Now testing armored vehicles. Most playing. Gaijin`s testing WW2 tanks now. Air-ground combats WW2 in 1 game - very good.
  30. Dec 30, 2013
    War thunder is another great flying game from Russia's Gaijin Entertainment. They have created other great flying games such as IL2 STURMOVIK. This is a fun flying game which is probably the best in its genre. If you play it on the PS4 it cross games with the PC gamers which means more people playing and the beta would be more busy. This is a good game that can keep you busy for a couple of hours and the graphics are exceptional. However on the negative side: There is not enough planes to choose and buy. Aswell when you customise your plane there is a little to choose Overall This is a nice Flying MMO which is by the way FREE! Probably one of the best FREE games I have played! This is a great start for the nest-gen free to play gaming! Expand
  31. Dec 22, 2013
    What seems to be a great game at first, soon falls short. There are way too many micro-transactions and gimmicks. The graphics are pretty, but that is about all it has. The gameplay is fun at first, but because of no variety in gameplay it becomes repetitive.
  32. Dec 17, 2013
    frustrating game, with lots of potential... aerial combat has always been difficult for me and the lack of aim assist options and poor single player campaigns is frustrating...

although its beta the graphics are not worthy of next gen
  33. Jan 12, 2014

1. Jul 9, 2014
    While the initial learning curve is daunting, this is one of those games that opens up dramatically the more that you play it, so the time commitment is worthwhile whether you're a laidback dogfighter or a hardcore simmer.
  2. Jul 6, 2014
    The Ground Forces expansion makes War Thunder even bigger than it was already, an MMO F2P that lets you choose the war you want: simulation or arcade, air or ground, challenging or relaxing, competitive or cooperative, free or with fee, PC or PS4.
  3. Jun 20, 2014
    It’s mostly the moments in between battles that bring the whole experience down, as a lack of information and poor menus tarnish this flying ace.