7.0

1. Oct 30, 2013
    I have to say, I really like this game. It's fun to play and the fighting and movement mechanics work very well on the Vita. Graphics are very good, especially given that this is running on a handheld platform, and I find the story to be well done and interesting. The game runs well and is stable. There is definitely replay value in the game and you'll get many hours of playtime as you move around the prison finding objects, gathering collectibles and upgrades, etc.

Not really sure why so many of the industry critics gave the game average scores, but perhaps they were spending too much time focusing on what the game isn't rather than what it is. I'd personally recommend the game to any Arkham fan with a Vita.
  2. Oct 25, 2013
    Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate is the continue of the console version. Blackgate is a 2.5D game (2D plan with 3D elements). Also, Blackgate is working to be a compelling portable experience. The game lasts 10 hours with the villains be taken from the console version, it introduces two characters who are familiar to us from Arkham City, Solomon Grandy and Catwoman and one totally new two Arkhamverse, Bronze Tiger.
    The game is an "exploration" game (along with action/stealth game), so Batman escapes from the main path until he find the gadget that he need to proceed. At this point, I have to say that it isn't understandable how he went in Blackgate without gadgets(except from Batarang), I assume that the developers made it that way to add more gameplay hours and more exploration hours!
    In exploration part can't miss the Detective Mode, which is a basic part of the game. With Detective Mode you can see enemies, vantage points, find hidden things, armor, Wayne Tech crates among other things. In general, you do the two-thirds with Detective Mode!
    The gameplay of the game is solid, with all features of the console's version. Free flow combat adjusted very well in Blackgate, with minor problems. The combat system works like this: Two planes, the one you fight and the other that can only the enemies use, with the enemies coming from the background to the foreground. Furthermore, the silent takedown have been adapted in limited grade and the takedowns sometimes can't be so stealthy, as you can in rest Arkham games. The whole animation system look and work like charm.
    The game yet has graphic novel cinematic which partly it's proper for handheld, but on the other hand, the connection between cutscenes and gameplay isn't the best. Another pro for the game is the great voice acting. The decoration, the enviroments and the game assets that been used, look poor and blur.
    To conclude, the Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate hold the sense of the successful Arkham series. I think that the game isn't what exactly PSV deserve, but everything need a chance and a point to start (I really want to see next year/or a year after, a way better Batman game than Blackgate.)
    I score it with 7.5 It's a realy pretty good effort
  3. Oct 30, 2013
    Arkham Origins is a fresh take on Arkham Asylum universe, and it successfully translates the console game world into a handheld experience.

PRESENTAION:
    I've played it on Vita, and the graphics and textures are solid. Voice acting is strong, and despite many critics I found the plot decent enough to keep me interested throughout the game. The drawn cutscenes are beautiful on Vitas
    screen and add personality to the handheld version

GAMEPLAY:
    Fighting is lots of fun, with some depht to it even though they are usually not very challenging. Gameplay wise, I guess the biggest critic the game is receiving is about exploration.

Yes, navigating in a 2,5 map with a 3D map requires some getting used to, but gamers are smart and they figure it out. The pace of the navigation is slower due to its complexity (comparing to, say, Metroid), but I like it like that. I think its more fitting to Batman Universe.

THE NAVIGATION ISSUE
    The requirement to constantly use Detective Mode can be confusing at times, but I'd say the same about the console Batman games (specially Arkham City). Being a fan of the series, for me its more a characteristic of Arkham games than a problem of the handheld version.

Detective mode requirement comes down to taste. I like to know that the prison is full of secrets, but it might have been better to keep this necessity out of the main path (sometimes you won't progress in the game unless you are thorough and detect well hidden passages).

CONCLUSION:
    I had lots of fun with the game: advancing trough the environment while discovering new gadgets made it one of those games that its hard to put down.

The game could benefit from a streamlined navigation system, but overall it is the kind of experience that I expect to find more on Vita rather than ports.

I give it a 8 out of 10.
  4. Dec 17, 2013
    Im sorry, but this game is being hated on for absolutely no reason. its a pretty game, it has innovative and interesting gameplay and to top it all... it is on a handheld!!! cmon guys... the vita has been suffering from mediocre reviews from critics that are totally not befitting with games that have been groundbreaking... i.e. killzone mercenaries and Uncharted Golden Compass.... I think we can all agree that the critics seem to be swayed by each other's reviews because they themselves have not played the games or know very little of gaming. Expand
  5. Jul 25, 2014
    Considering the Vita's hardware capabilities was this really the best they could do? The graphics are OK but the clunky controls and poor story really bring this title down. The puzzle sequences are boring consisting of swiping your fingers with the touch pad looking for a prompt from the game to see if you've found anything. Batman's gadget controls and combat actions are more prompts that require you to be in just the right place for them to activate. This isn't doesn't hurt the game too much when you're fighting opponents hand-to-hand because they move just as ponderously as you do but during stealth actions that require avoiding armed gunmen it's annoying to try to find the game's "sweet spot" so you can activate the grapple gun to escape to the next ledge. Equally disappointing are the boss fights which are either quick time events or attack and escape which means you're at the mercy of the game's wonky control mechanics. I wanted to like this game, especially since I bought it for a discounted rate while on sale but even at the current markdown it's just not very much fun. Expand
  6. Oct 25, 2013
    The game its very decent:
    Graphics are not top notch but have a stable frame rate so far, nice backgrounds and city feeling.
    The levels are very repetitive and that's pretty much the worst feature of the game, with the lack of replay value.
    The gameplay overall is good for a 2D action game like batman, no freeze so far, smooth combat with nice controls.
    I just play for a couple of
    hours but overall its a very good game, game length is about 12 -15 hours and im happy that I sold the Valhalla knight 3 garbage for this game so the 5 dollars wasted on the other are well spent here. Cheers Expand
  7. Jun 4, 2014
    I really really like this game. You feel like the Dark Knight in the palm of your hands. Good fighting, good exploration and some great gadget's make for some excellent fun to be had. Boss are brilliant as well.
  8. Dec 25, 2013
    I just recently got this for Christmas and at first I wasn't too sure, but after awhile you can see why the user reviews are pretty high! But let me start off by saying... - It isn't amazing - It isn't revolutionary - ...and it isn't a major leap from its downgraded 3ds sister + ...but it is good, really good. When you first start off its very closed, you don't get a good feel of it, but the more you progress the more it goes to show how well of a game it is.
    + The boss fights are really well done and they do progressively get more challenging and even the easiest is fun.
    + The side scrolling works especially for a batman, surprisingly.
    + The touchscreen controls feel right (and if you get stuck remember it can help).
    + The story is interesting enough, enough to were I sometimes laughed and kept going that little bit extra.
    + The map is separated into 3 main locations, unlocking gadgets in each one and revisiting each occasionally to progress through the story or to find a hidden unlockables, while not feeling to "backtracky" and giving a sense of openness and choice.
    + Enemies don't respawn.
    + Its fun.
    Overall the game is worth an 8 in my eyes, I'm really enjoying it and I'm glad I got it for Christmas hope this helps!
  9. Nov 23, 2013
    The game has the same environment of previous games, weapons and equipment are also. The detective mode makes you attentive to every room she enters, looking for clues to the extra cases. Fights are in the same style of the previous games, with attack and counter attack. The graphics are beautiful and fluid, just think maybe they have insured the quality a bit for doing with the 3DS version which is much lower. Expand
  10. Nov 19, 2013
    Batman Arkham Origins Black Gate is a good start for the series to began on Handheld consoles but it is not an amazing or flawless game. Black gate story takes place after Arkham Origins inside the blackgate prison where Batman along with catwoman goes to capture BlackMast, Penguin and Joker.
    The gameplay is a 2D and Metrodivania style of gameplay, the world is devided into three
    different place where each of villains are there and Batman need to find his way through the buildings in order to reach each of the three main villains. Sometimes you need to check back previous places in order to find Batman certain Gadgets such as Batclaw, Explosive Gel and other things in order to be able to proceed through certain areas in the game. This makes the game kinda of a open world game since you are not really forced to move through a certain directions. There are tones of places to search and explore to claim upgrades, evidences which makes the exploration fun but to be honest finding all the secrets are easy enough, it is not challenging and rewarding.
    Detective mode is enables by touching the screen and it functions the same way as the other versions.
    Unfortunately despite of all these cool things, the map is twisted and when Batman locates his next objective it can be really hard to navigate batman through looking at the Map. The three areas in the game are more or less similar looking except for the Administration building where joker is. The boss fights are not as challenging as the other versions, they are just simple quick time event type of battles and only requires patience and pressing keys rather than forcing the player to observe and find a way. Difficulty level is too easy as well. Battles are really fun in the game just like the console version but in terms of stealth game lacks very much. It is fairly easy to beat the enemies if they are holding a gun or hide from them in few seconds which makes the stealth section very lame and easy.
    Story is not that bad but its not briiliant.
    finally Blackgate is not a bad game but also it is not perfect and more or less is a very small packed Arkham Asylum. if you are a batman fan sure it is worth to pick up.
  11. Feb 11, 2014
    After spending some time with this game, I feel like it was definitely worth the pickup. I am not too crazy about the console arkham games. They look and play well, but Don't seem to hold my attention. This version is great as it has similar combat and stealth, but uses a 2D platforming element instead of the 3D open world. I find myself hooked to the beautiful comic book style art in the storyline, as well as the sharp graphics on the vita's screen. Judging this game purely as it's own, and not against the console version, I feel like the developers did a fantastic job creating a portable friendly batman game. The same high quality that the other batman games possess I feel is here as well. Expand
  12. Nov 10, 2013
    I liked this game on the Vita, though I am still waiting for console-level games. If Borderlands 2 is in the works for the Vita, then why not the full Arkham Origins for the Vita? Anyway, that being said, I enjoyed the similar combat style to Blackgate's console counterpart. My favorite weapon is the gel launcher, which I thought was a great addition considering the level designs in Blackgate. It's also great fun to snag ammo packs off the backs of enemies. The boss battles are puzzling and challenging, and I love Catwoman's playful banter. Following the map was a bit of a setback for me, presenting frustrating moments frequently. All in all, however, I enjoyed the game, and it's a lot of bang for your handheld buck at about 10 hrs. to complete the campaign. Expand
  13. Dec 6, 2013
    With Arkham Origins next to it, it was pretty cool to see a portable version available. However, the game was not worked on by Warner Bros. Studios, but by another company all together. With the success of Arkham Origins, both critically and commercially, Armature Studios had a lot to live up to. The game ultimately does well in establishing itself as an Arkham title, but holds itself back with painful amounts of backtracking and repetitive gameplay.

Overall, the gameplay itself isn't bad. Combat isn't as fast and fluid as it was on the console titles, but it was good enough to carry you through the game without fault. There weren't any real flaws other than the cape stun having no reach across a wide gap. Stealth is competent enough to be considered fun. I was worried about how stealth would work out in a 2D style game, but Armature studios did a very good job of making it both accessible and fun. Unlike the other games, Detective vision isn't activated with a button press, but instead by touching the screen. Scanning is done the same way, and both mechanics are competent enough to keep the gameplay flowing. Also, gadgets are transferred successfully, and work out despite the Vita's lack of buttons.

Another thing the game has going for it is the boss fights. Even though the first two are a little straight forward, the rest of the fights are really well done, filled with creative trial-and-error gameplay. The stealth based boss throws new gameplay features at you that don't appear through the rest of the game, nor are they explained or made obvious to the player, which makes it a little unfair. I died multiple times without knowing the exact cause of why, which caused frustration. Ultimately though, the boss fights are fun, puzzle-based, and cinematic, just like the rest of the Arkham series.

The story itself is interesting, taking place 3 months after Arkham Origins, and centers around a prison riot at Blackgate penitentiary, in which Black Mask, Joker, and the Penguin have taken control. Somehow, Catwoman finds her way in the mix, and her and Batman form an unlikely partnership to take down the head honchos of the prison. Aside from the relationship with Catwoman, and its origins, the story doesn't have much going for it. In the end, nothing really changes, and there's no real climax or surprising plot twist in the story.

The graphics themselves are visually satisfying, and even though they don't compare to Origins, that's to be expected. The voice acting is nice as well, with all the actors from origins and city reprising their roles.

Even though the game has a few positives, there's a boatload of negatives in this game as well. The first is backtracking. The amount of backtracking is absolutely ridiculous. Even if you choose to ignore the limited amount of side content, the game is still almost 50% backtracking. This is mainly caused by Blackgate being divided into four areas. The lack of a gadget in one area will cause you to leave that area completely, (there's no fast travel system, you actually have to leave the area you're in), only to travel back later. Sure, there is side content, such as upgrades and detective cases, but these only add more backtracking to a game already jam-packed with it. I got so frustrated, that I actually decided to ignore the upgrades and detective case items. Ultimately the side content isn't worth it, and the game would've prospered more if it were a linear story, with upgrades being unlocked as a result of story progression. Even though I'm not particularly a fan of re-spawning enemies, there needed to be something to break the constant on-foot navigation, which is something Rocksteady managed to do in Arkham Asylum.

Another annoyance is the lack of direction. Sure, there is a waypoint on the map, but it doesn't always help you figure out exactly which is the right path to use to get there. The game would've been a lot of better if it had something along the lines of a breadcrumb trail or a mini-map, which would've made the game easier to navigate. The map having no floor by floor navigation didn't help either. Another flaw is the lack of explosive walls that stick out, which is sometimes the only way to progress. This ultimately leaves you saying "What I do?" at multiple times. That's bad conveyance.

What makes this game more disappointing is that it's another Triple A title that bombs on the Vita. Tons of titles including Call of Duty, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Resistance, and Killzone have had stand alone titles on the Vita. Even though some are considered good, they just don't stand up to the console titles.

Ultimately, the game isn't horrible, and has both competent gameplay mechanics and boss fights that live up to the console titles. However, the ungodly amount of backtracking, crappy side content, and bad navigation make this game a frustrating experience. At it's best, the game is fun to play, but at it's worst, the game is one long, boring chore.
  14. Dec 18, 2013
    I think most negative reviews are distorted because they expected a near port of the original arkham series. This is a diferent game, with points of contacts but with interesting turning points that make it something special. More focused on the exploration and stealth. You must solve more puzzles and find your way out out in an entangled prision maze. The 2,5 d perspective with ocassional change to 3d is pretty original. The boss fightings are superlative. The only way to broke down the ones as Grundy or deadeye is more with brain and strategy than with the usual punch and beat. My only criticism is the lack of clearer hints. Sometimes you really get lost and dond know exactly how to follow up and you end searching in a walkthrough. More comprehensive in game hints are needed. In the other part i really prefer this over the last big brother Arkham Origins for PS3 and PC. That was a mere repetition of asylum and arkham city. Armature found a way out to make something strongly bond to the series and pretty refreshing. Kudos for them Expand
  15. Apr 5, 2014
    The reason I give this such a low score is because a 10/10 is a perfect game, and this is no where near perfect. It's still a good get, and the dropped price seems fitting.
  16. Jul 29, 2014
    You know your batman game is bad when it's both bad as a game and bad as a Batman game. 2.5D just doesn't work with batman, by taking away your third axis not only does it complicate navigation (the horrible map not helping things either), but it takes away the entire stealth aspect of the game, despite still giving enemies weapons that, in a normal (or good) batman game you'd use stealth to avoid or take down. Stealth is not just a big part of the combat in Batman games, but It's a big part of who batman is, and taking it away makes being Batman useless. You might as well be some random guy off the street, you'd be able to combat enemies just as well.

Now, back to navigation. This is an issue so big it needs extra coverage. This game is hell to navigate. The map is useless, because despite being able to move up and down in some areas (with branching paths that go off in different directions) the map is two-dimensional, and gives you no idea of where you are and how to reach your objectives. If anything it makes the game more difficult, making you think you're going in the right direction only to reach a dead end that, according to the map, still goes on.

Now, if it weren't for the confusing map you might be able to navigate normally, but then there's another issue: Progressing. Yes, just trying to progress is a problem. You'll spend hours scanning every room you've been to for something to interact with because for whatever reason, Batman can't figure out how to pull a lever or open a grate or do just about anything until he takes a good long look in detective mode at what he needs to interact with. This makes getting anywhere more of a chore than it already was with the convoluted and confusing prison layout and (more often than not) incorrect map, and now you have to constantly scan your surroundings just to make any progress.

Now for the combat. For whatever reason, the enemies (and Batman) still attack and move in three-dimensional space, though you never really control it. Normally I'd be fine with the combat, which is just like on consoles, but in this case it really bugs me. You'd think they could have done something at least a little new and innovative here, but no. For whatever reason this boring and bland formula for combat stands out much more in this game than in the others. I guess it's because for every other 2D (or 2.5D, in this case) game I've played has actual good and interesting combat.

Now for the two issues that may break this game for many: The story and the boss battles. Boring and uninteresting storyline with absolutely no effort put into it, done in really bland, monochrome comic style cutscenes that just look plain lazy (that the developers put on the box as a feature), with voice acting that perfectly reflects the quality of this game: Terrible. All of the voice actors, including the one for Batman himself, sound bored by their job, and so the already bad story stands out even more. It sounds like they all wish they were somewhere else. Now, the bosses. There's two different kinds of bosses in this game: Combat bosses, where you have to fight them normally, but usually with a special rule or tactic you have to take to defeat them, and Interactive bosses, where you have to be constantly scanning the environment in detective mode, using gadgets on things, and interacting with things to do damage to the boss. The Interactive bosses are boring and generally follow a pattern that you can just repeat over and over and over again for an easy win, but the Combat bosses can actually be really fun and interesting. If they had shown us more of this I might be giving this game a higher score, but no luck.

So, for 15+ hours of boring, monotonous button-mashing and screen swiping (the majority of which will be spent in detective mode looking for where to go next) you can go ahead and buy this game, but I wouldn't recommend it. I've been a Batman fan all my life, and to get this on my Vita was pure and utter disappointment.
  17. May 11, 2014
    It's not like its console relatives, but its a fun game, with innovative controls inside of its limitations. Sometimes it can be a bit repetitive, especially in its combat, but it still is a quality Batman game.

1. Feb 25, 2014
    Not quite up to the standard of the console versions of Batman: Arkham Origins, but not a bad game on its own.
  2. Feb 10, 2014
    While Armature definitely made a few bad calls when putting Blackgate together, I greatly enjoyed this new style of Batman, and didn't have too much heartburn over the rough patches.
  3. Jan 7, 2014
    Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate isn't a bad game, but it's a lesser game. It tries extremely hard to mimic its console brethren, but all it does is highlight everything it's missing.