4.9

1. Aug 5, 2017
    With dual analog sticks and online capabilities unlike any other handheld system before it, the PS Vita left gamers with high hopes of having the ability to take a console quality FPS in their pocket on the go. While this is something we eventually got with the fantastic Killzone: Mercenary, early attempts at bringing these hopes and dreams to life were met with disappointment, In no titleWith dual analog sticks and online capabilities unlike any other handheld system before it, the PS Vita left gamers with high hopes of having the ability to take a console quality FPS in their pocket on the go. While this is something we eventually got with the fantastic Killzone: Mercenary, early attempts at bringing these hopes and dreams to life were met with disappointment, In no title is that more evident than in the critical disaster that is Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified.

The standard shooting works well. With two analog sticks and shoulder buttons to make use of it plays almost identically to it's bigger brothers in the series on home consoles. Of course there are still a few less buttons and inputs on the Vita, so some actions are tied to the system's touchscreen capabilities. This is where things get a little bit less satisfactory. Like so many other Vita shooting games, throwing grenades with your touchscreen is just unreliable. Declassified certainly handles it better than any other title I've played so far on Vita, but it's still not what people are going to want. Same with using your melee attack (the knife). It's use is also tied to the front touchscreen. Only it requires a quick tap as opposed to dragging a reticle for grenade throwing. Both inputs are too slow and unwieldy. The imprecision keep this game still just behind home consoles in terms of control. the knife in particular could have been made better by making it a tap to the rear touchscreen instead of the front. At least the shooting still feels great.

The campaign in the game is little more than a few short missions with no real narrative that can each be completed in a few minutes. You can have all the single-player content completed in under an hour if you're good. What is most noticeable about them is that they show a different style of combat for the Call of Duty series. The way enemies pop up and the emphasis on scoring points and experience make it feel more like a arcade-style Call of Duty. There's also a nice little thing at the end that ties these seemingly unconnected missions into the other Black Ops games that's pretty nice. Despite the brevity and noticeable AI and hit-detection issues, these single-player "story" missions do provide a little bit of entertainment. There's no replay value though because of how enemies always pop up in exactly the same spots unless you just have to get that three-star ranking.

There are also a few time-trial levels that have you rushing through obstacle courses shooting carboard pop-ups of enemies and a "Hostiles" mode that has you battling it out against waves of Ai. The latter is single-player only and really shines an even bigger spotlight on all of the AI issues, making it a poor "Zombies" substitute. The time-trials are even briefer and fewer in number than the story levels.

Multiplayer is without a doubt the highlight of the experience. It's much lighter in content than the mainstream Call of Duty games, but you still get some of the series' best modes. You'll still find yourself wanting to play it's bigger brothers, but if you're away from the house and have some access to free wifi somewhere, Declassified can hold you over by scratching that multiplayer itch just long enough to get you home. Even today there's still a healthy amount of people playing it. Shame there isn't more content though.

The problem with Black Ops Declassified is that it feels more like a tech demo for the Vita's ability to deliver a console quality, AAA first-person shooter on the go, rather than a title that actually takes advantage of those capabilities in order to actually make that happen. While there's still some entertainment value to be found here, it just doesn't have enough content, polish, or staying-power to make it one of the Vita's killer apps. A shame, because usually the Call of Duty games bearing the Black Ops sub-title are the best the series has to offer.
  2. Nov 1, 2014
    The game is good for it's multiplayer the Campaign it's really not a Campaign it's just operations with people from the black ops games the only reason you might get this is for it's multiplayer.

The game cost 20 bucks.
  3. May 19, 2014
    Don't know why too much bad reviews for this game. It's not the best game of the series, but I think it's a good game. It's very alike the Call of Duty Black Ops (PS3), but it has a very quick campaign, but if you try it in veteran you can maintain yourself playing it for hours. And about the multiplayer mode, I haven't experienced any lag matches, since my network isn't any good. ^_^
  4. Mar 30, 2014
    Я могу сказать одно. Кампания, это не для шутеров. Игру спасает отличный мультиплеер. Если вам нужен именно он, тогда берите КоД.
  5. Sep 29, 2013
    This game is not as bad as everyone says it is, the story mode does not make sence but it is fun. Hostiles mode is very fun but once you've played on all the maps it gets boring. The multiplayer is the best thing about this game. Its 4vs4 online with modes like team deathmatch, kill confirmed and two other modes, but once again it gets boring with only 5 maps, they should have atleastThis game is not as bad as everyone says it is, the story mode does not make sence but it is fun. Hostiles mode is very fun but once you've played on all the maps it gets boring. The multiplayer is the best thing about this game. Its 4vs4 online with modes like team deathmatch, kill confirmed and two other modes, but once again it gets boring with only 5 maps, they should have atleast added another 4 maps with DLC. Expand
  6. Sep 10, 2013
    NOTE: I'm reviewing the game in its final patched state, which is really quite fun. Early reviews are based on the unpatched version, which apparently was absolutely awful. This is stripped-down Call of Duty, with an accelerated campaign, a truncated survival mode (here called "Hostiles") and a mostly-intact multiplayer. Graphics and AI both take an understandable hit. What the game lacksNOTE: I'm reviewing the game in its final patched state, which is really quite fun. Early reviews are based on the unpatched version, which apparently was absolutely awful. This is stripped-down Call of Duty, with an accelerated campaign, a truncated survival mode (here called "Hostiles") and a mostly-intact multiplayer. Graphics and AI both take an understandable hit. What the game lacks in features, though, it makes up for in the Call of Duty magic. This really actually feels like a Call of Duty game you can play in between classes or on the bus, and that (for me) makes up for all the cut corners. Expand
  7. Aug 27, 2013
    For the love of Sakaguchi-sensei, if you don't have something constructive to say, stay homeg. Such bitterness over a simple piece of software... It's just shameful. We are gamers. We use our minds to solve problems more often than encyclopedia brown. Frkn act like it.

Going bat-pile over the casual trivializing and glamorization of war i'd fully understand. I think the more contemporary war games have an obligation to touch on the horror and brutality of warfare as more than just a set piece. It breaks my heart that so few developers truly take this obligation seriously.

Now, on the flip side, NOBODY CARES how you feel about Sony, the Vita, how CoD compares to MoH, or if you had dinner for breakfast and pounded the cat while yer mom watched, all the while shouting encouragement in perfect aramaic.

Frankly, it just comes off as petty and small. Review the game or stay home. Please?

Seriously, for the love of Carl Sagan, if you must act the viturpative child, at least keep the spiritual anemia and whining ON topic.

I digress. On to business:

CoD:BOD is a well made, if comparatively basic, kill 'em all shooter. I haven't bothered with online multi-player, but even if it was comparable to cleopatra in a hot tub with helen of troy, I still wouldn't buy it with my own money. Not right now, anyway.

It just costs way too much. As of today, it's still a $49.99 download. Far too expensive for what it is. On the other hand, at $24.99, i'd prolly scoop it right up.

But as is, spend the money on 3 or 4 other games.

Love and Battlefield Infections,
    the Doctor.
  8. Jul 20, 2013
    The series of Call of Duty has always been about multiplayer and co-op and Declassified is exactly the same. Call of Duty: Declassified is a fantastic display of the fact that the PS Vita can play big name games like Need for Speed and in this case Call of Duty. The game plays and feels like your usual Call of Duty games and will definably quench your thirst for some run and gun, highThe series of Call of Duty has always been about multiplayer and co-op and Declassified is exactly the same. Call of Duty: Declassified is a fantastic display of the fact that the PS Vita can play big name games like Need for Speed and in this case Call of Duty. The game plays and feels like your usual Call of Duty games and will definably quench your thirst for some run and gun, high action multiplayer thrills.The game is a steal in the UK for only £20 (I brought mine for £35 at release) and will probably stay at that price till Killzone. I highly recommend this game and in fact can even say that i have had more fun on this game than COD: MW3! The game does contain some flaws such as: no more support, glitched killstreaks, dumb AI and few invisible walls during Hostiles mode. Expand
  9. Jul 3, 2013
    This is a good game.

It's without question the best FPS shooter I have played on any handheld. I won't compare it to the console versions because let's face it... It is a handheld device. The duel analog sticks feel great after a few hours of getting used to it. SP: I am enjoying this. The missions are quite short but bump up the difficulty and missions should take a while longer to
    This is a good game.

SP: I am enjoying this. The missions are quite short but bump up the difficulty and missions should take a while longer to beat. AI is ok, Not great. Some parts can be quite tricky on the hardest setting however. Save points would have been nice..

MP: Great fun! I really enjoy this aspect of the game. Maps are relatively small but you still feel like you are getting a COD experience. Games are pretty much always full and i rarely have any connection issues. Kill streaks, Perks and level ups are all here too which is great as I look to prestige 400 times.. Not

Final comments:
    If you're after a quick FPS fix and then you should grab a copy of this game. It is a solid shooter and negative reviews should be overlooked.

7/10 Good
  10. Jun 24, 2013
    Okay I'll make this short and honest. I gave it a 7. Why? It's not that I want to "inflate" the score or make up for what I bought. It's because I thought of it as such. The game's story is MEEEHHHHH all throughout. But seriously? This is a handheld who's sole reputation on FPS games is last to everything. It's new, so obviously, the way they make games like COD to this system would beOkay I'll make this short and honest. I gave it a 7. Why? It's not that I want to "inflate" the score or make up for what I bought. It's because I thought of it as such. The game's story is MEEEHHHHH all throughout. But seriously? This is a handheld who's sole reputation on FPS games is last to everything. It's new, so obviously, the way they make games like COD to this system would be expectantly mediocre. Developers just doesn't stick what they see on home consoles and stick what they can to a handheld, they had to start ALL OVER again and optimize what fits to the system. It's like making a game from scratch. For me, its understandable how this turned out, and I can't deny that I expected more. Despite this, the Multiplayer seemed good and (although with smaller and mediocre levels) playable enough to make me go back and play again when bored. It's NOTHING like its console counter-parts. CRAPPY even if compared. NO KUDOS to you Nihilistic. My 7 is merely for the decent, and sometimes fun, Multiplayer. I hope there will still be a COD for the Vita next time. A new and improved one. I also hope, that the upcoming Killzone:M would be different and 35 times better. Expand
  11. Apr 28, 2013
    The campaign is short and boring with hardly a real story, hostiles isn't much better due to the horrible enemy AI, and the multiplayer has a ton of connection issues. About 50% of the time when trying to get into a multiplayer match it would load the match, but then immediately kick me me out as soon as it got done. Otherwise the multiplayer is fun, but the maps are all crowded and getThe campaign is short and boring with hardly a real story, hostiles isn't much better due to the horrible enemy AI, and the multiplayer has a ton of connection issues. About 50% of the time when trying to get into a multiplayer match it would load the match, but then immediately kick me me out as soon as it got done. Otherwise the multiplayer is fun, but the maps are all crowded and get dull after a while. The single player will last you about an hour, and isn't very fun. The graphics are okay, the enemy AI sucks and all in all you should only pick up this game if your really desperate for a COD experience on the go. Expand
  12. Apr 14, 2013
    After reading a lot of reviews on this game, I must admit I haven't touched the single player aspect of this game. Multiplayer, however, I've spent many hours with. Aside from often having to make 2-3 attempts to join a match, I haven't run into many connectivity problems. Once I'm able to join a game I am able to coast along from match to match without issue.

Game play exceeds my

Game play exceeds my expectations, which based on the stigma surrounding this game were pretty low to begin with. Graphics are decent and feels smoother that Resistance. I think the reason this game gets a bad rap is that with the vita, it's easy to forget you're playing a handheld. I can identify with that feeling after playing UC and LBP on the Vita, both really maintained the feel of the console counterpart with some added functionality for the Vita. Declassified however, is without a doubt feels watered down in relation to the console installments of the series. But in relation to a handheld experience it's pretty solid.

I rate this a 7 because, while not "great," this game does offer a solid online fps experience for a handheld system. If something like this would have found it's way on to the PSP I think people would have gone nuts over it. I've played both this and Resistance: Burning Skies multiplayer, and BO: Declassified is much more fun due to the kill streaks and perks.

In the end, is the game worth the $50? Hell no. I think $30 would be much more appropriate. If you can find the game for around 30 bucks and enjoy online shooters, pick it up without hesitation. Otherwise, it would probably be a good idea to wait until you find such a deal.
  13. Mar 10, 2013
    for a while now i have always heard that Call of duty black ops declassified is the worst vita game ever even doe i heard this i still haded to try the game so i did first i tried the campaign at first it really impressed me with the outstanding voice acting and the slow motion scenes on the vita looked great seriously i was loving the game then i noticed there are no checkpointz then ifor a while now i have always heard that Call of duty black ops declassified is the worst vita game ever even doe i heard this i still haded to try the game so i did first i tried the campaign at first it really impressed me with the outstanding voice acting and the slow motion scenes on the vita looked great seriously i was loving the game then i noticed there are no checkpointz then i noticed the levels are short well some level are short and boring and some are ztill short but entertaining but where thiz game really forgot was that COD Action!!There was no plane flying,no driving motocycles or cars just plain shooting (sigj).but i kinda enjoyed time trial it was unique and fun.the hostile(replace for zombies)is pretty addicting but not like zombies.Multiplayer is the best thing about this game customized classez,Skill ranks,good variety of modes itz a blast.this game is a big dissapointment but it doesnt deverse 1/10,2/10 ,etc.its fun and exciting(sometimes)its a great fps for me the controls are definitley better than 3ds Expand
  14. Feb 21, 2013
    This game deserves a bit of praise because it was made in under 6 months and is a game with a fully functional Multiplayer. I did love the Multiplayer part of the game, but the Single Player and Hostiles left me wanting to puke. So this game deserves a solid 5.

I would recommend buying other better Vita games that are cheaper and better. Such as Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation or Rayman Origins.
  15. Feb 8, 2013
    It is hard to understand why this game did so bad. I will break this game down though. The campaign has NO story which is a problem but the short missions are fun. However the enemies can see you before you can see them which makes the campaign difficult. Now in the time trials mode, I enjoy playing those missions and they are good time wasters, which was probably the purpose consideringIt is hard to understand why this game did so bad. I will break this game down though. The campaign has NO story which is a problem but the short missions are fun. However the enemies can see you before you can see them which makes the campaign difficult. Now in the time trials mode, I enjoy playing those missions and they are good time wasters, which was probably the purpose considering the campaign was short. The hostiles mode is challenging to me because again, the enemies see you before you see them, and that was how I died most of the time. However the game is saved, by the multiplayer. Save the campaign for when you are on the go, and play the multiplayer when you have a wifi connection. The multiplayer is good compared to the rest of the game and you may get kicked from a game every one in 5 games. Also the maps are tiny, like Nukehouse is a map and it is only one of the houses on Nuketown and its 8 player online, but the multiplayer is where this game feels like COD. It feels like COD Black Ops 1, but it is still good for the vita's first COD game.
    PROS: Multiplayer is COD-like, Hostiles and Campaign are challenging, campaign missions are enjoyable as so are the time trials.
    CONS: Multiplayer has tiny maps, Campaign is too short, enemies shoot at you before you get a chance to shoot at them.
  16. Jan 28, 2013
    It's definitely a Call of Duty. It looks and plays like one. The singleplayer modes are fun enough. The multiplayer is kind of Black Ops Lite. The main problem I've encountered with it is that it's so buggy online. You'll get dropped from games constantly, you'll have trouble even connecting to a game, or you'll be the only person on one team, versus all four people from their team.It's definitely a Call of Duty. It looks and plays like one. The singleplayer modes are fun enough. The multiplayer is kind of Black Ops Lite. The main problem I've encountered with it is that it's so buggy online. You'll get dropped from games constantly, you'll have trouble even connecting to a game, or you'll be the only person on one team, versus all four people from their team. Worst of all, I doubt Nihilistic will fix any of this, seeing as how they no longer exist. It's a surprisingly good game, but a really disappointing multiplayer experience. Expand
  17. Jan 26, 2013
    The multiplayer alone makes the game deserve probably a 6. It's nothing close to the same experience you'll get on pc or consoles, however for a handheld this does some things pretty well. I had little difficulty adjusting to the gameplay on the Vita, and found that the multiplayer still felt just like Call of Duty. It's a bit more sluggish, and takes a little adjusting, but ultimatelyThe multiplayer alone makes the game deserve probably a 6. It's nothing close to the same experience you'll get on pc or consoles, however for a handheld this does some things pretty well. I had little difficulty adjusting to the gameplay on the Vita, and found that the multiplayer still felt just like Call of Duty. It's a bit more sluggish, and takes a little adjusting, but ultimately it's pretty fun. This is coming from a consumer who got the game free with the Vita bundle. I would not recommend anyone go out of their way to buy this game for $50, that's just not fair. However, if you can grab a copy on ebay for around $20 or and you want Call of Duty on the go, this really is not near as bad as the critics have hammered it. Cheers! Expand
  18. Jan 18, 2013
    I would give this game a 7.5 in reality. It certainly has some substantial flaws but I think any game I can play for hours on end deserves a solid score. Single player is just ok. The missions are short but serviceacible. The hostiles mode is a decent distraction but I do find it can get boring after awhile. The real value of COD is in the same location as the console version, in theI would give this game a 7.5 in reality. It certainly has some substantial flaws but I think any game I can play for hours on end deserves a solid score. Single player is just ok. The missions are short but serviceacible. The hostiles mode is a decent distraction but I do find it can get boring after awhile. The real value of COD is in the same location as the console version, in the multiplayer. When the game launched getting into a game could be a real pain but after they released an update I would say it is only slightly less stable than the console version. You might get the odd dropped game but not often. Over Christmas I logged many hours on the multiplayer and what I noticed first was the fact that I had just as much fun playing it as I did when I played the xbox version. It certainly is not on par with the XBOX version but it was still a lot of fun. I was worried about only having 6 maps but they all play well. Having nukehouse and seeing the return of my all time favourite shipment really dulled the pain. I found the customization options deep and fun to play with. I would say my main complaint with the online is the lack of game types. deathmatch, kill confirmed, free for all and dropzone. The first 3 play the same. I would have enjoyed seeing a few different types just for a change of pace but at least dropzone keeps things fresh. My bottom line is It's not perfect but its fun. If you are looking for a Vita shooter. I would recommend this as a great multiplayer option. If you are looking for a deeper single player option I would grab Unit 13 ( although it is 3rd person) Expand
  19. Jan 9, 2013
    A lot has been said (and of course, written) about Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassisfied since it hit store shelves last month. Most of it negative, very little positive, almost all accurate in one way or another. While the gaming media have thrown tons of three's and four's (out of ten) at CoD Vita, with waves and waves of users posting either tens or zeros, the user reviews posted onA lot has been said (and of course, written) about Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassisfied since it hit store shelves last month. Most of it negative, very little positive, almost all accurate in one way or another. While the gaming media have thrown tons of three's and four's (out of ten) at CoD Vita, with waves and waves of users posting either tens or zeros, the user reviews posted on this site have been far more polarised. The reason I decided to type this quick review is because neither of these points of view are at all accurate. The gamers that trawl through these very reviews deserve a neutral, more measured point of view with which to help them make an informed decision. With neither gushing adoration or utter disdain helping one iota, what is needed right now is a little perspective. Personally speaking, I hit the shops and grabbed Declassified within a day or so of it's UK release. At which point, no media reviews had yet been published, and only a couple of very brief user reviews had been posted here on Metacritic. Both of which were overwhelmingly positive, aiding my decision to spend a whopping £42.99 on the game. But do I regret it? Mmmm, yes and no. Despite it's brevity, I personally had a lot of fun playing through the single player campaign. For a seasoned Call of Duty vet, it's probably not beyond the realms of possibility to negotiate your way through each of the ten missions in little more than an hour. Maybe even less. Although I admit to enjoying the odd FPS shooter, I certainly do not fall into the 'seasoned vet' catagory, and as such, it took me the best part of four or five hours to beat. I also found the difficulty curve and pacing to be savage yet acceptable. Many have laid criticism at the games lack of mission checkpoints - citing their absence as a wholly underhand means of adding to the longevity of the campaign - but I considered this to be all part of challenge, adding an extra layer of tension. While it certainly isn't in the same ballpark as it's console counterparts, there's still a good deal of mileage to be had from CoD Vita's multiplayer component too. While there have been many well documented issues regarding stability and connection woes, Activision has now provided patch (that went live last week) which addresses most of these foibles. While still isn't perfect, multiplayer reliability is now vastly improved. Unfortunately however, Declassified's primary achilles heel remains. And that my friends, is the enemy AI. No matter how impartial I attempt to be, there is just no getting away from the fact that Declassified is home to some of the worst (and dumbest) AI I have encountered in a very, very long time. At this time, one can only assume that there are no plans to provide a fix for this issue, and that is a real shame. In summation, Declassified is a flawed portable FPS experience, but one that can be an awful lot of fun too. It isn't perfect, it isn't awful. It's somewhere in the middle. And that warrants a score which reflects this. That score isn't a zero and it certainly isn't a ten. For me, it is a seven. And that my pedigree chums, is perspective. Expand
  20. Jan 3, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified is one of the biggest disappointments for the Vita game library in 2012. After much deliberation due to the negative reviews online, I eventually took the plunge with low expectations
  21. Dec 27, 2012
    A new patch came out (late December) for this fixing all the multiplayer issues I was having with the game and ruining my experience. Now the only thing we can complain about is an fps drop in nukehouse from time to time, that and a like of killstreaks/Zombies were used to from the normal COD series. But as a handheld standalone fps it's an amazingly fun/addictive multiplayer experience.A new patch came out (late December) for this fixing all the multiplayer issues I was having with the game and ruining my experience. Now the only thing we can complain about is an fps drop in nukehouse from time to time, that and a like of killstreaks/Zombies were used to from the normal COD series. But as a handheld standalone fps it's an amazingly fun/addictive multiplayer experience. You can only chat to friends in a party so you don't have to deal with the trash talking especially as you'd have 7 other people screaming 24/7 it's a God send they don't include that feature. A shame for some of you trolls, It's a great game and i recommend picking it up (only if you want an online fps for your handheld nothing else will come close) and just think how good this could be if they put some real effort in on the whole experience.

For the single player portion of the game (definitely a 1/10) so the game deserves a 6 for it's more than acceptable multiplayer experience. If you want this game for offline do not buy this at all costs, don't even consider it go and buy the Resistance game instead!
  22. Dec 5, 2012
    Game is OK. Major glitches experienced, No reply from Nihilistic regarding patches. Ive experience 20 attempts to get into a full MP game, invisible players, unable to collect tags, Shows enemies on UAV and nobody there, Grenades not exploding. thats for MP. Now only issue had with Hostiles is everytime i played a certain map you cannot move, shoot or stab and is just juddering all over.Game is OK. Major glitches experienced, No reply from Nihilistic regarding patches. Ive experience 20 attempts to get into a full MP game, invisible players, unable to collect tags, Shows enemies on UAV and nobody there, Grenades not exploding. thats for MP. Now only issue had with Hostiles is everytime i played a certain map you cannot move, shoot or stab and is just juddering all over. had to restart twice to get in it normally. If we had updates regafrom the Developer or something then we would feel at ease BUT they do NOT care! They get ya money and RUN. Expand
  23. Dec 3, 2012
    Pros: -feels like COD
    -plays well with a good fps
    -multiplayer Cons: -lack of zombies -lack of vita microphone support making matches feel empty -lag issues. I find myself putting a full clip into someone and then they shoot me, I die, then the shot registers on them after my death causing both of us to die. pretty ridiculous. -glitches -lack of maps -low player count and
    Pros: -feels like COD
    -plays well with a good fps
    -multiplayer

Cons:
    -lack of zombies
    -lack of vita microphone support making matches feel empty
    -glitches
    -lack of maps
    -low player count and obvious lack of development time for the graphics could of been better.
    -terrible AI
    -no killcam/ final kill
    Conclusion: basically this game needs a patch for mic support, less glitches, lag problems, and killcam implementation. Some DLC for more maps and zombies and this game could be a 9/10. If you want a quick COD fix on the go this is the game for you, but its a step down and unless you are a true fan or want a fps on the go I wouldn't recommend this unless a patch comes out, which of 12/3 it has not.
  24. Dec 3, 2012
    After receiving such bad ratings, I debated whether or not to still purchase this game. But the fact that I could get it AND a 4 GB memory card for free clinched it for me. On the other hand, it still is a bit pricey for a handheld system although I never heard too many complaints when the 3DS debuted for 199 dollars. But on to the game! CoD:Black Ops Declassified is more in theAfter receiving such bad ratings, I debated whether or not to still purchase this game. But the fact that I could get it AND a 4 GB memory card for free clinched it for me. On the other hand, it still is a bit pricey for a handheld system although I never heard too many complaints when the 3DS debuted for 199 dollars. But on to the game! CoD:Black Ops Declassified is more in the line of a pure handheld than a continuation of the original platform-based franchise. The campaign is more like small missions. it seems to try and tell a story and make you as much a part of it as possible but it just seems like one separate mission after another. Basically, it is somewhat disjointed. Although in the games defense, the AI is pretty deadly and if you aren't constantly hitting them they will kill you fairly quickly. The reviewer who said he could beat the game in an hour obviously wasn't playing the game on it's hardest level. Admittedly, the game isn't as immersive as a normal platformer, but I think people are missing the point that it is a handheld game system as well as a FPS (Not an MMO). The multiplayer, as best as I can tell from the few times I have tried it, is horribly glitchy. The maps are (as has been said) too small, it spawns you while asking what class you want to be therefore making spawn kills increase innumerably. As for the hostiles mode, well, its alright. The enemy's strength level increases dramatically at points that are terribly infrequent. So dramatically that they go from horrible to expert in three rounds. On the whole, the game is decent for a Hand-held system, but it pales in comparison to either of the Black-Ops platformers. Unfortunately, I have to give this game a six because of the price. My advice to anyone who wants this system or game: wait until GS has it refurbished and the games are used. Expand
  25. Dec 3, 2012
    I am going to be honest, black ops declasified isn't, slick, innovative, or anything new, but it's is exactly what it needs to be for the vita. The story mode is incredibly short and in 3-5 min chunks, which is what you would want in a handheld version, it has a survival mode which isn't great but it's a nice distraction, it has time trials which will keep you coming back from time toI am going to be honest, black ops declasified isn't, slick, innovative, or anything new, but it's is exactly what it needs to be for the vita. The story mode is incredibly short and in 3-5 min chunks, which is what you would want in a handheld version, it has a survival mode which isn't great but it's a nice distraction, it has time trials which will keep you coming back from time to time. But the gem is the multiplayer. It's fast, has great maps, kill streaks but most importantly, it feels like call of duty. I know some people don't like the small maps but I personally think they are perfect. It's only 4v4 so anything bigger would make it to difficult to find people which is exactly what happens in the games one and only bigger map. The negatives are the graphics, AI and the fact you can randomly be kicked out of a match. The graphics aren't bad it's the colour scheme, its always a kind of washed out brown. But the AI on the survival and campaign mode are awfull. The enemies shoot at you before they can even see you and they seem to have perfect accuracy all the time because they hit you an unbelievale amount of times. And the online sometimes has connection problems which seems to be consistent with other peoples reviews. Overall black ops declassified gets the job done but it needed more development time to make it a high level product, but if you have been waiting for a good fps on the go, this is it. But it will certainly make the wait for killzone on the vita a bit easyier. Expand
  26. Dec 2, 2012
    The multi player is actually quite good fun if you can get in.... However the game is so buggy I only manage to get online 2 times out of 10 I've submitted more bug reports than I can remember its just an epic fail. What a terrible game that could of been so much more. I'm glad I got it bundled with my Vita and didn't pay the full $50.
  27. Nov 29, 2012
    While this is not a great game, it's good. I never get a COD game for the main campaign, just the online multiplayer. With being said, the small part of the single player game I played was okay. The online only has three modes, and none of them was domination (my favorite) it does have drop zone which is similar. I have had a few issues with dropped games while online (my biggest issueWhile this is not a great game, it's good. I never get a COD game for the main campaign, just the online multiplayer. With being said, the small part of the single player game I played was okay. The online only has three modes, and none of them was domination (my favorite) it does have drop zone which is similar. I have had a few issues with dropped games while online (my biggest issue with the game.) Don't expect to get the grand experience of COD on PS3/360/PC. Expand
  28. Nov 28, 2012
    WARNING; the multiplayer for this game (the only reason to buy a Call of Duty game imo) absolutely will NOT WORK IF YOU ARE USING ANYTHING OTHER THAN WIFI off of a home internet connection. All of my other vita games will work using 4g/LTE tethering with my android phone. This is the only game that does not. There are no error messages, the ps vita simply boots me back to the main screenWARNING; the multiplayer for this game (the only reason to buy a Call of Duty game imo) absolutely will NOT WORK IF YOU ARE USING ANYTHING OTHER THAN WIFI off of a home internet connection. All of my other vita games will work using 4g/LTE tethering with my android phone. This is the only game that does not. There are no error messages, the ps vita simply boots me back to the main screen and then freezes when I try to restart a multiplayer game. If I use my home wifi connection, the online multiplayer works fine, and is as one would hope, Call of Duty in your hand. At least they included adhoc multiplayer (I have two vitas). But seriously, what is the point of making a ps vita game that can only be played at home on my wifi connection? Why wouldnt I just use my ps3? And how about some kind of error message about my connection instead of the game just freezing? I gave it a 5 instead of a zero because it is useful for playing via adhoc with my friends using my two vitas, but for most people who dont carry around two ps vitas the only reason to buy this game is if you do not own a ps3. Expand
  29. Nov 24, 2012
    I don't see how people would buy Vita to get this game only, but is the only CoD that is actually fun to play in a PORTABLE device... Its arcade-style of gameplay don't make me sick of playing, most complaints are from 'hardcore' CoD players that find superiority on the Console and PC versions, and frankly they are right, but that doesn't bring this game down... The major issue is thatI don't see how people would buy Vita to get this game only, but is the only CoD that is actually fun to play in a PORTABLE device... Its arcade-style of gameplay don't make me sick of playing, most complaints are from 'hardcore' CoD players that find superiority on the Console and PC versions, and frankly they are right, but that doesn't bring this game down... The major issue is that Activision released this together with BO2, same thing that did Ubisoft, making players choose the Console official game rather than the Portable spin-off... Expand
  30. Nov 21, 2012
    Firstly, this is not a good game. However, this is still the best first person shooter on the Vita... but that's just not saying very much though as it's just not a good game aside from being able to see somewhat of what you will (hopefully) be able to do in FPS on the Vita.

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jan 28, 2013
    Declassified feels like a disappointing DLC bundle rather than a full release. In its best moments it proves that Call of Duty could work on the console, and it has some good ideas – earning XP across single-player for multiplayer unlocks is particularly neat – but it's exceptionally hard to justify how this ended up with a $70 price tag. The very best PS Vita games have proven that, in the portable market, size can still matter. This lesson has, ironically, been ignored by gaming's biggest franchise. [January 2013, p76]
  2. Play UK
    Jan 23, 2013
    This'll remind you of the very worst PSone FPS games. [Issue#227, p.77]
  3. Jan 14, 2013
    This game should have stayed classified or, at the very least, been redacted.