7.9

1. Feb 13, 2014
    I'll admit I wasn't as hyped for this when it got announced I just didn't get it or know what the hell the game was like. I watched the anime which I found out was rushed and after finally playing this game for 4 hours straight I really wish I never watched the anime. This game is just that good and the anime kinda spoiled it. This game is unlike any game you've played before. It's similar to ace attorney and virtues las reward and even has some persona elements such as social links. The game is a mystery psychological horror with so many twists and turns and characters you will come to care about. The story is fantastic as well. The plot revolves around 15 kids all who get accepted into this strange school where the student has to "graduate" by killing someone without being caught. It's a wildly emotional and depressing and even downright sad ride at some points. The gameplay is unique and similar to ace attorney in a way. It's hard to describe and better if you are it for yourself. Now I want to cut this review short because I NEED to get back to the game continue the story just know that this game is well worth your time and is one of the best games for vita....period Expand
  2. Feb 12, 2014
    The most unique adventure you'll probably experience, a battle between Hope and Despair like no other, once you start playing it'll be tough to stop. Definitely. one of the Vita's best games!
  3. Feb 14, 2014
    This automatically became one of my top 3 Vita games after completion. It's very reminiscent of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, released last year. This is a visual novel type game, like VLR, where you assume the role of Makoto Naegi, a very unassuming boy in a high school meant for the best children in the world. The story is the real draw here but it's highly backed by alot of things that just make it one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had in a long time.
    The game is split into three main parts: A school life portion where you build relationships with the people in the game, the investigation portion to find clues to the identity of the killer, and the trial portion where you take those things and use them to find the killer. The combination of all 3 really is wonderful, even if what you do during the school life portion of the game is not really represented very well elsewhere.
    The main draw of the game though are the other two parts, the investigation and trial parts. Taking alot of cues from Phoenix Wright, the trail portions are the best part of the game, where everything comes together. And, together with a wonderful soundtrack, you really get into what happens during the trials. Now not all trials are great. In fact, I'd definitely they all tend to fall on the easy side for anyone with any experience with these types of games in the past. But the final outcome is always satisfying to see, especially the well done cutscenes signalling the end of the trial. It's a shame some of these characters don't last very long as they all were memorable in their own way and the game does a very good job at giving them life and really making you care about them, especially when some of them end up murdered later on. You really feel like you need to find out who did it, especially when certain characters turn up dead.
    The exploration of the game's world feels a bit stiff and the controls for alot of the game can be frustrating, especially during the trials when you can use the back touchpad for a certain action later on in the game. For someone who rests their fingers on that back pad while holding the system, it can make things frustrating and take up precious time you need to make use of the mechanics the game gives you.
    My final conclusion though is that this is one of the best games for the Vita to date. You obviously have to like Visual Novels to like this game but everything else here is beyond stellar. The ending is also really good and the game did a very good job setting up for the finale. I personally didn't see the end coming till very late in the process, which is great for me. I don't like finding out the true object of the game too early, spoiling the fun later on. I would highly recommend this game to anyone with a Vita. Especially if you like the Zero Escape series, which this game takes a few queues from. Wonderful game and I can't say enough good things about it.
  4. Feb 13, 2014
    A graphic novel with innovative interactive touches and light rgp elements. More than a game: Daganropa is an artistitic interactive experience. If you re into these sort of stuff you must try out
  5. Feb 13, 2014
    so what do you get when you mix the classic novel story "and then there were none" mix it with ace attorney investigating and prosecuting, plus a rhythm game, followed by firing words at people. you get this game danganronpa. it has both translations of japanese and english. voice acting for the english translation is not bad but it could have been better. the graphics look slightly better from the original on psp in japan. soundtrack fits the mood of the game but nothing I would listen to during my work hours. so overall this game is a must buy for ps vita owners or if you want an interesting mystery story. Expand
  6. Feb 11, 2014
    As a long-term Ace Attorney and Zero Escape fan,I can say that while it resembles both games way too much,Danganronpa is not only an overall amazing game but it's also an unique experience on its own.
  7. Feb 25, 2014
    While Danganronpa barely qualifies as a "game" in the traditional sense, that clearly isn't what the developers were going for. It is an interactive graphic novel in the vein of Zero Escape or Ace Attorney. For those not familiar with these titles, the basic gist involves a crime taking place, and with the help of those around them, the protagonist solves each crime, no matter how convoluted the clues may be. The narrative is impressive, especially for a localized title. In fact, the localization itself is what makes the story so intriguing, even when the answer to your supposedly nagging questions is so clearly obvious.

The investigations that the main character performs range from obtuse to blatant. The resolutions to some cases will be so conspicuous that you might find yourself almost frustrated by pacing of the story, and at other times, your mind will literally be blown away by what you just discovered. This mixed bag keeps you guessing up until the very end, at which point the expert storytelling of veteran graphic novel developer Spike Chunsoft will mystify you, probably more than thought possible in a video game.

I only have a couple of issues with this title. First and foremost, the protagonist is literally treated like a moron during the entire game, even after solving every murder during its course. Multiple characters talk down to you as though you were a complete idiot, and you have no other option but to just take it on the chin.

Which brings me to my other issue. While there are periods of time labeled as "free", which allow you to interact with other characters and gain abilities based on your relationships with them, the entire game is linear. This is the reason your character has to look stupid during the entire affair. You are never given the choice to point out key pieces of evidence during each case, even if you realize their significance at the moment they are introduced. This prolongs the feeling that the main character is an idiot, although he does redeem himself while presenting evidence during "class trials", the only game-like element in this exceptional graphic novel.

Overall, the narrative is why you will want to pick up this title. The voice acting, though not prevalent, is well done, the characters are over the top, but still believable, and the plot is twisted and convoluted, making for a tale that is honestly hard to find in this era of half-baked shooters and cliched action games. If you believe that the journey is just as important as the destination and you own a Vita, you would be doing yourself a disservice in not picking up this zany and dark game of murder and betrayal.
  8. Feb 19, 2014
    The mystery-solving aspect of this game is way overhyped. This is an interactive novel first, a carnival game second, and is just barely a logic puzzle game at all. I played on "Kind", or the middle difficulty, and found that the characters would more or less rub evidence in your face. I gave that a pass and continued to play, curious about the story and how it would play out, but two major problems stuck out for me.

First, the titular "refutation bullets" that you use to refute false statements aren't used consistently. In some parts of the game, you are meant to use refutation bullets to support true statements. This could have been avoided with some simple rewording so that refutation bullets actually refute things. The way the system is currently designed turns the trials into word association games or "guess the best match" games instead of actually using logic to find contradictions as they relate to the case.

Second, the timeline segments of trials is not fun and pointless. Basically, once the game has told you for the 1,000th time what happened because you are an idiot, it asks you to put these little pictures in the correct frames in a manga to show for the 1,0001st time what happened. Most of the time that wasn't so bad, but there was at least one timeline where two of the pictures had no discernible order. Like in the trial segment of the game, you are reduced to guessing.

If you can't trust the system in a logical puzzle game, it's not a logical puzzle game.

I'm sure people who have played the game are reading this and thinking "yeah well you should have play it on hard, casual1!!1" This only changes the amount of hints you get and increases the difficulty of the carnival minigames. It doesn't change the fact that refutation bullets are illogical (1/4 of the time you use them to support things, not refute things) or that putting clipart in order is lame after you have already reached the conclusion of the trial.
  9. Mar 6, 2014
    Along with Virtue's Last Reward, Danganronpa is yet another great game for the vita and, most importantly, a sort of new franchise, despite being several years old (it came on psp first). The game is simply amazing on many levels: it has style, it has an identity on its own, it's weird, it's sad, it's intriguing, it's surprising, and it's also very long to beat (the main game is about 20 hours, and after the end you can do some more stuff with the school mode).

Danganronpa is basically a sort of mix between Ace Attorney (the trials), Virtue's Last Reward (the twists, the character development, etc), and a bit also of Saw if I have to say (the fact that it's a death game). The game is also VERY stylish and very reminiscent of Persona 4 (I seriously thought it was a Persona spin off, from the colors and animation), and very anime-like as well (there's even anime, although I heard it's not as good as the game). In other words, despite taking inspiration from other games, Danganronpa is its own game, and another great game for the vita console.

However, If I have to be brutally honest, I didn't enjoy this game as much as I anticipated, because of few flaws that really bothered me and made the game a bit of a disappointment: this does NOT mean it's a bad game, but I want to say why It seems flawed.

For one, there are too many characters...and you have no time to develop them properly. The game will give you free times where you can spend to increase relationships with your classmates AND eventually unlock skills for trials and etc. The problem here is simple: you don't have enough time during the main game to develop all of them (heck, not even one) and when the game decides to kill them off...I really felt nothing. No sadness for the most times or regret: I barely knew them, the game wouldn't let me, and when one character was killed off or was found guilty, I just had no idea what to feel; infact I felt more attached to the characters that survived, because they had actual development to the end and I'd feel sad if they died. But only because they had development. I know it's hard to develop 15 characters all together...but VLR had 9 and I felt attached to all of them. I think it required some more attention on this department.

Second, some cases are "meh" (mostly referring to the first, the second and the fourth): this once again suffers because of the lack of development of the characters AND because some are far too simple, but still the reason is simple: if one character died, I wouldn't care, and while the fourth case was ok, it was pretty disappointing. Maybe it's me, but I just had no real ripercussions when someone died...because I didn't care enough for feel sad for them.

And for last, the trials are good...but some parts are pretty weird and unnecessary (the rhythm game and few other things were so stupid), but it's probably the best part of the game. Just too bad it wasn't all that hard, but mostly confusing at some points.

However I have to say, even if the game is flawed, the story is amazing and has one nasty twist at the end that, while I still didn't care much for the deaths, it made me feel a little grim inside....perhaps that was the idea from the start of? To not give us enough time to care, but to care at the end when the twist revealed?
    Still, It's an amazing twist and very depressing, making this game, once again, a must if you loved VLR (even though it's much less puzzle based and more like a visual novel).

Definitely a good game to check: flawed in some points (IN MY OPINION), but still good enough to try it!
  10. Mar 14, 2014
    I absolutely loved this game. It feels VERY similar to Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, and that's my all time favorite game so I'm happy. Issue is I wish they didn't have such awfully generic characters. I mean good god are they generic. But still, solid story. The trial is fun to go through, but many times annoying. A rhythm game to shut someone up? Really? Purple text you have to shoot down to memorize something then replay it again to shoot that memorized phrase at an earlier statement? Oh those were frustrating. Expand
  11. Apr 29, 2014
    Spoiler FREE Review: This is my first visual novel game. It started out kind of slow, but picked up after the prologue and first chapter. I found about half of the twists / whodunnits to be predictable, and I had already called them before the trial. The actual trials were very tedious and boring. In the "objection" rounds, some are extremely simple while others will not make sense at all and you'll find yourself just guessing to move the trial forward. In the "Hangman's Gambit", you pick letters like wheel of fortune, it's like a 1st graders game. Then they have a rhythm part, where you punch buttons in rhythm to the beat, and finally you have a picture ending where you have to match the pictures with the order of events that happened. It was a pain to get through these portions of the game. The characters are very flat in the personality department also. 1 dimensional you might say. More than anything, I was interested to see what happened at the end, and when I finally trudged through this game I was sorely disappointed in the wildly imaginative ending they put together.... Expand
  12. Feb 19, 2014
    Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is a fun point and click game with a murder mystery plot that is very similar the Zero Escape games Nine hours Nine Persons Nine doors and Virtues Last Reward. Although the game is not for everyone, If you enjoy games like Professor Layton, Phoenix wright or the earlier mentioned Zero Escape Series, I'm sure you will find something to like In Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. Expand
  13. Apr 13, 2014
    An entertaining VN, not worth the price of admission. The premise of the story is a group of high school students trapped in a school, desperate for escape. There are two components to the story mode, class trial, and daily life/investigation. Essentially, kids are getting murdered by each other and you have to find out "whodunit" or else you will be executed. This game is certainly fun to play through, once. I love the story but it's certainly one of those games I will never play again. After completing the 22 hour story, you will unlock a new game mode which is tedious. Destroying your classmates statements in the class trial feels rewarding, and the daily life gives you a chance to build relationships, which is awesome. However, you can only build your relationships a few times during the story and the rest will have to be done after you beat the game. This is quite frustrating as the other characters offer valuable skills for the class trial. Outside of that I didn't have many problems with the game. It has a gripping story and I almost cried at the ending. Without too much spoilers, if you like murder mystery, watch some gameplay to get a feel for the game. It has it's moments, but it does not deserve 9.1 user score. Expand
  14. Feb 27, 2014
    It's basically a mix between ace attorney, zero escape(999 and VLR) and persona-ish. It's really good, probably the best Vita game around so far. So hyped for the sequel coming in September !
  15. Jun 17, 2014
    The only reason this game didn't get a perfect 10/10 is because i personally found some of the class trails (the portion of the game that isnt visual novelly) to be slightly clunky. There are many different challenges in the class trails and 3/5 of them are really fun the other are just a little frustrating because the hit boxes etc etc are wonky. HOWEVER that is literally the only thing that is a downside to the game and can be completely overlooked and will be once the SHARP fangs that DAnganropa bares digs into your curiosity on the mystery of Hopes Peak Academy. Story is spot on, dont watch the anime to anyone reading this do it after you play the game. All the characters are great and some of them are breaths of fresh air and the many twist will leave to reeling by the end of and sad to put it down just a good book or any captivating story should be.

TL;DR : Great game suffer from some slightly frustrating elements during the action portion of the game but everything is smooth and buttery with a handfull of s(laughter) and despair that will keep you playing until you get to the bottom of the mystery.

1. This is a very dark story, but it's told with colourful verve and a keen wit. [June 2014, p.85]
  2. Apr 15, 2014
    Danganronpa is not a proper game: is an interactive novel. Still, its captivating atmosphere won't let you go until you'll reach the end.
  3. Apr 9, 2014
    It has enough depth and twisted charisma to make it worth your time. [May 2014, p.70]