7.2

1. Sep 26, 2013
    At first, i totally hated this game. It was pathetic to me. I hated it and every last bit of it. I kept thinking to myself "wow, what a bad game", and yet i kept coming back for more and playing it repeatedly, until i just realized "hey, this game is actually really cool!". While it lacks content a bit (there's a really fun single player story mode, a 2 player mode, where u have to fight using 2 buttons each on the same controller and an online mode), the games unique combat is still really fun. Its kind of so bad it's good, and is reallllly fun, despire being simple. The game is extremely satisfying when you smash an enemy in the head and hear "HEADSHOT". Each charecter (except for dive, kick and kenny) have unique fighting styles, for example, some can fly, spit fire, and some can shoot lightning, and they all control fairly differently. The roster is also epic, with a giant skunk ape, to a demon wearing straight jackets who like making fun of people.

In short, the game is really fun, and worth the purchase
  2. Feb 17, 2014
    First, a VIta specific concern. The game, once downloaded off PSN is roughly 480 MBs or so. Then there is immediately a patch to download. It, itself, is around 488 MBs. After installation, the game sits there bloated with a 978 MB footprint. The size of the PS3 game is only 628 MBs, so I'm absurdly confused there. Moving along to the review, from a Single Player perspective.

Ok, so I
    just don't get this game. I know you are asking yourself, but how? There's diving. Then there's kicking. Pretty straighforward. Well not so fast. There are plenty of times.where you will all of a sudden change kick patterns or jump back patterns, with no button pressing or understanding as to why the paradigm shift occurred. You just have to basically wing it during the match, but given matches are so short it's tough to figure out what you are dealing with moves-wise and then formulate any decent kind of attack plan/pattern in the remaining time (given each round is a max of 20 seconds). Then there are moves that simply are uncontrollable. You sometimes teleport. Why? Not sure. Where do you go? Your guess is as good as mine. The teleporation point seems completely random, so when you get this moveset for the round, it's is as good as button mash and pray. There are also certain special moves you can do, but it isn't explained. In fact, there is quite a bit of supposed depth to this title, but NONE OF IT IS EVER EXPLAINED!

I even checked the digital manual, which has zero description of the game or its mechanics. Just 12 pages of ESRB ratings and such. Thanks for that. I had to go online to just try to find some inkling as to what to do outside of diving and kicking and get some idea of the control of the characters, but it just doesn't seem to translate well. And then you have the boss S-Kill, who seems to have the ability to teleport right after you hit him and he turns the table to get a headshot in. Extremely...extremely...obnoxious.

The game itself is interesting and appealing in concept. An easy to master fighting game that anyone can play. No absurd combos to learn. You and your grandma could ostensibly play this game. But it makes almost no sense. You can't feel any kind of pride in winning as it feels largely like luck. And this is because of two things. One - things just simply aren't explained clearly enough. Two - well...a lot of it is luck. And worst of all, there are just so many cheap, illogical deaths that it becomes obnoxious to keep playing. Maybe it's more fun against humans, where the tables are more even in terms of complete lack of understanding in the way the world works in this fighting game, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it - even to casual fighting fans.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    Divekick isn't your average fighter. It's the only game with two-buttons for attack and no joystick control. This game is either you like it or you don't. Me, this game purely fun, simple, and just fun. When you step into multiplayer with a friend, it gets even more fun. Give it a shot, you may end up liking it.

1. Sep 30, 2013
    Divekick's ultra-basic approach is a revelation if you're looking to understand fighting games. And if you're prepared to look past the in-jokes found here, then this is an essential purchase.
  2. Sep 3, 2013
    With only two buttons and 20-second rounds, DiveKick may sound too simple to be any fun. But that's where you're wrong. This is a game that will not only bring new fans to the genre, but also keep the hardcore fighting fans coming back for more. Throw in a memorable cast of characters and you have one of this year's best fighting games.
  3. Sep 1, 2013
    I'm all for interesting choices and humor when making a game, but the appeal of a one-trick pony like Divekick wore off after just a few minutes. Like, five. Perhaps people steeped in the fighting game scene or those with friends (and beer) nearby might get more out of it than I did, but I can't imagine that many players will find value in this drawn-out gag.